• Published 30th Apr 2019
  • 9,808 Views, 426 Comments

New Moon - AzuraKeres



Centuries ago, Luna was shunned by her ponies and exiled at the hooves of her elder sister. She perished in her solitude, but her soul lived on through a stone. And some unknown time later a voice calls her to come out.

  • ...
27
 426
 9,808

34: The Right Moment

Author's Note:

Summer Lazuli

A coach at Manehattan Academy and a close friend of Loving Bud. Upon the holiday Field’s day, Lazuli hosts an event for all students of the Academy.

Loving Bud

A teacher at Manehattan Academy and mother of Nebula and Artemis. 

Loving Artemis

Loving Bud’s son, who is the reincarnation of Princess Luna. 

Loving Nebula

Loving Bud’s daughter, who is the reincarnation of Nightmare Moon.

Passion Touch

An art teacher at Manehattan Academy. Despite all her quips and sass, there is something pure she desires.

“Enjoy the rest of the event,” a pony hoped for Carrot Cake after he purchased two packaged ice cream cones. The exciting events have heated him and his wife. So, at his generosity, he purchased ice creams from a stand on the side field to cool the two of them down.

However, as he blissfully strolled back to his wife, he was stopped by two burly stallions. “Alright,” Bright Mac voiced, catching Carrot by surprise. “You got some explaining to do.”

At Bright’s side was Bow Hothoof, who shared a rather unpleasant aura with Bright. If he didn’t know them well, he probably would’ve run to the other side of the city by now. No, he probably would drop the ice cream cones in the process.

“Oh,” Carrot started. “Hi guys. How’s that competition going for y’all so far?”

“He still has the nerve to put on that innocent act,” Bow grumbled. “Does he think we’re a joke?”

“Excuse me?” Carrot questioned, though now he grew a bit anxious after noting their intense gaze. “Is there something wrong?” He stuttered.

“You darn tootin there is,” Bright swore. Being within the scornful gaze of two burly stallions that can easily fold him like a dough sent shivers down to Carrot’s spine. “How on Equestria do you keep beating us!? There’s no way you can be winning like this.”

“Yeah,” Bow agreed. “I’m fine with a loss every now and then, but to literally lose every single one against you is complete tartar sauce.”

“What?” Carrot’s voice trebled. “I never said I was part of your competition. That was all Chiffon spouting that.”

“Oh, don’t think you can weasel your way out of this.” Bright pointed at Carrot. “Me and Bow have been given it our all and somehow you’ve been wiping the floor with us. You better not be up to any funny business.”

“I don’t have any secrets,” Carrot argued. “It’s just been an endless streak of bad luck. If anything, I should be the one upset here.”

“You can’t call it bad luck if it’s constantly to your advantage,” Bow argued. “There’s no way a pony can fall into that many antics and still win. There has to be an art to this.”

“There's really not!” Carrot argued.

“Carrot,” Bright started. “You’ve literally scored 17 out of the 25 points to win the volleyball matches. You did that two times against my team and Bow’s.”

“I tripped and fell,” Carrot argued. “Many times!”

"And let’s not forget that little pinball action you had going on at the obstacle course that ended up blowing me and Bow in the dust. I’ve never seen you done acrobatic stuff like that before.”

“I was never good with those sorts of things,” Carrot argued. “I barely even knew what was happening.”

“I’m not buying it,” Bow said.

“Guys,” Carrot voiced. “I think you two may be taking this too seriously. We’re all here just having fun, remember? It’s just a game.”

“Just a game!” Bright and Bow loudly voiced in a unison. Carrot flinched at their outrage, anxious if he had stepped upon a landmine.

“Is that how you view a stallion’s pride?” Bright questioned. “Just a game that any pony can fiddle with? Oh, I’m definitely not gonna let this be.”

“Yeah,” Bow concurred. “Windy won’t look at me the same way at this rate.”

“Wait,” Carrot said. “Is it me that you’re mad at or is it my wife that keeps cheering for me.” Carrot recalled that through each of his accidental victories, Chiffon was the loudest among ponies to celebrate his victories. Along with her were the two stallion’s wives that appeared to be snickering at the result of the matches.

“Don’t try to shift the blame,” Carrot noted a rise in Bright’s pitch. “You’re going to take full responsibility for this.”

“Come on guys, just settle down.” Carrot took a step back from the overwhelming stallions, plotting a route for his escape. No way he could reason with stallions with egos trifled as theirs. Though, how could he possibly hope to run from two stallions that were at the tip of physical fit?

“Lazuli!” Carrot blurted when he noticed the mare strolling across from them. He waved his hooves wide and blared the mare’s name again. “Lazuli, come over here for a second!”

The mare perked her ears to Carrot’s voice, meeting his gaze with unnerving eyes. His hooves lowered and frowned at her look. Carrot scurried over to the mare, retaining the two packaged ice cream within a forehoof.

“Hey Lazuli,” Carrot voiced when the two were a foot apart. “Are you okay? You look a bit down in the gutter.”

Lazuli gave out a sigh before she responded, “It’s nothing. I’m just thinking.” The calmness in her voice streamed Carrot with discomfort.

Lazuli was content to end her conversation there and stroll off, however, Bow Hothoof stepped in front of her path. “What’s on your mind?” He asked.

Bright Mac curiously joined at Bow’s side with a glean smile. “Maybe we can help.” He said.

“I just said it’s nothing,” Lazuli restated. Her voice growled with growing agitation.

“Can’t be if it’s bringing down all that vigor you had earlier,” Bow argued. Despite the hint of scorn he sensed from his sister-in-law, Bow bet against his odds with another step. “C’mon Laz.” Bow gave a warm smile. “We just want to help out. Today is an important day for you, isn’t it? It's practically ruined if you're not enjoying yourself.”

Lazuli promptly clamped her brother-in-law’s mouth shut with her hoof. “Will you quit it?” Lazuli snapped. “Jeez, are you always this pushy?”

Bow removed Lazuli’s hoof from his face and dared to speak to again, “Anytime for my little sis.”

“What?” Lazuli raised a brow at him. They’ve only known each other for only a few hours and he’s already using those kinds of nicknames for her.

“Would you prefer to be called my niece?” Bow grinned.

“Look,” Lazuli backed away from the three stallions. “It’s just a little mess I got myself caught into. It’s nothing serious, I can figure it out on my own…”

“And what does this little mess happen to be?” Bright asked. “Can’t be that little if it got your head in a sticky jam.”

“It’s just a bet I made, okay!” Lazuli snapped. “Can you guys stop with the questions now?”

“Well, what kind of bet was it?” Carrot asked, earning a leer from the mare. He anxiously raised his hooves with a sheepish smile.

“This wouldn’t happen to be one of those fifty shades kind, would it?’ Bow asked with a concerned voice.

“What!?” Lazuli gaped at him. “I would never put myself in something gross like that. It's just about relationship problems! Why would you think that!?”

“What’s fifty shades?” Bright wondered.

“That’s not important,” Carrot voiced.

“So, it has something to do with relationships then,” Bow surmised. “It wouldn’t happen to have anything to do with Bud, would it?”

“What—you tricked me!” Lazuli pointed at Bow.

“Relationship problems with Bud?” Bright wondered. “Y’all aren’t having a fight, are you?”

“No!” Lazuli stated. “We’re not having any kind of fights!” Lazuli slapped her head and smeared her hoof down her face. “Look, if I share, will you three leave me alone?”

“Alright, shoot,” Bow said.

After a sigh, Lazuli began her confession, “Some months ago, I had a talk with one of my coworkers about how my relationship with Bud wasn’t going anywhere. He went on to scold me about my hesitance, but I shot back at him about him doing the same thing with another mare that’s all goo-goo for him. We argued a bit over it, and we agreed that if he finally settled things with the mare then I would do the same with Bud.”

“What’s there to settle?” Bright wondered. “You two are dating, right?”

“Wha…what?” Lazuli gaped at Bright. Where in the deepest pits of Tartarus gave him that impression. “No, we’re not.”

“Wait, really?” Carrot sounded astonished. “Could’ve sworn that was the case when I saw you two together at the fair.”

“I figured that was the reason she brought Lazuli to the wedding,” Bright confessed. “Bud has never brought a friend to Ponyville before.”

“You two thought we were already dating?” Lazuli couldn't retain the heating red from erupting upon her cheeks.

“We can’t be the only one,” Bright said. “I’m sure I’ve heard other ponies in Ponyville talk about it too. I mean, have you ever seen the two of you together with the foals? You wouldn’t think you were just friends.”

“Ponies have been talking about us?” The news came as a shock to Lazuli.

“It’s not as bad as you think it is,” Carrot assured. “It was just a gossip around town. You won’t hear a single pony talking about it nowadays. That was months ago.”

“So, what’s this thing you have to settle with Bud?” Bow asked. “Does it involve a love confession?”

“…Why are you so blunt about things?” Lazuli averted her gaze from the stallions. She nervously rubbed her leg with a hoof.

“Bow, I think you might have guessed right,” Bright said. “You two are finally going to be a pair?”

“No,” Lazuli answered. “Maybe. I don’t know…”

“Not ready to make that change yet?’ Bow asked.

“It’s just,” Lazuli started. “I had these feelings for her for a long time now. But I don’t know. She probably doesn’t feel the same way. What she wanted above all else were foals, so, I don’t think I would matter. Besides, what if I end up making her feel uncomfortable? What if it ends up destroying our friendship?”

“Hey now,” Bright voiced and gave a hoof upon Lazuli’s shoulder. “You’re not giving Bud enough credit. I might not have known her for that long, but she looks to be very understanding. And it’s clear that she cares a whole lot about you. I say just talk with her about it. It’ll do the both of you some good.”

“Just talk,” Lazuli repeated. “You really think it’s that simple?”

“It’s the best place to start from,” Carrot said. “You wouldn’t want to try anything crazy to get your point across. It’ll likely end up making things a whole lot more hectic. Trust me, I speak from experience.”

“I don’t know,” Lazuli sighed. “I mean, I didn’t think I would be doing this today.”

“Well it doesn’t have to necessarily be today,” Bow said. “If you’re not up for it now, then you can try again another time. Just as long as you know you’re ready.”

“I don’t know,” Bright voiced. “You can only keep a pony waiting for so long.”

“C’mon Bright,” Carrot said. “Don’t scare her.”

“I’m just saying,” Bright said. “If you really care about her in that way, then you have to let her know one way or another. It won’t do you any good to keep it bottled up forever.”

Lazuli craned her head. The decision to act or wait has been an eternal conundrum for her to confront, but never has it been this apparent. “I need to think,” Lazuli concluded.

“Sure,” Bow nodded. “Take your time.”

“I’ll be wishing you the best,” Bright said. “And while you’re doing that, I’m going to be redeeming my stallion hood in the next event. There’s no way I’m going to let you leave me in the dust, Carrot.”

“Are you still on about that!” Carrot cried.

“Next event?” Lazuli said. “You guys do know the next one is the costume contest, right? I had a seamstress from Baltimare to donate her collection of old designs for the students to wear.”

“Then I will dawn the most breathtaking costume,” Bow promised.

“Wait, what!?” Bright eyed at Bow. “You’re not serious, are you?”

“Well, I guess you leave me with no choice,” Carrot resigned. “Let the best stallion win.”

“Wait a minute,” Bright hurriedly said. “Now hold a second. You two know that there isn’t anything manly about this, right?”

“But Bright,” Carrot grinned at the distressed stallion. “I thought you didn’t want me to leave you in the dust. Does your stallion hood mean nothing to you?”

“You—no, this isn’t fair!” Bright protested.


Lazuli walked down the empty halls of the stadium. She could still hear the echo of excited ponies from behind, compelling her to escape further inside.

She needed to think. She needed an answer. She needed something to assure her; to clear this anxiety building inside her.

As she followed the white marble tiles down the hall, she could see a small reflection of herself from its surface. Her melancholy gaze put a rift to the passion she sported moments ago.

She didn’t think it would happen. After months of his inaction, she figured he would never have the guts. Yet somehow, he found the courage.

Lazuli would often envision Bud at her side within her reflections. Her pure smile was always the remedy to her mind—an enchanting image that made her feel safe and secure. So ironic since she wants to give that to Bud herself.

How much would that change if she goes through with this? Their history isn’t as long as she would like, but Lazuli knew that they were the best of friends. Was she content with changing that? Is she okay with asking for more? Is Bud okay with more?

An exasperated sigh escaped Lazuli. She leaned her head to the wall. Further down the hall, she could see a double door that suddenly opened. Emerging from it came Passion Touch.

“Passion?” Lazuli voiced. She removed her head from the wall and approached the mare.

Passion then noted Lazuli’s presence and snapped her teeth. “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be managing a competition?”

Lazuli narrowed her eyes at the bashing mare. “And what about you?” Lazuli asked accusingly. “You know you shouldn’t be here. And don’t give the excuse about going to the filly’s room because I’ve already walked past it.”

“Well aren’t you perceptive one,” Passion rolled her eyes. “Should I give you a medal for your oh so divine assessment?”

“Ugh,” Lazuli grunted. “There’s never any point in talking to you. You’re always so snooty and gaudy. It’s sickening.”

“Those words do not fit me in the slightest,” Passion argued. “I’m…I…” Passion let out a sigh. “I can’t get distracted with this. I came here to do something I should’ve done a long time ago.”

“A long time ago?” Lazuli questioned. “Wait, you don’t seriously mean you’re about to do it? What did Leaf even say to you?”

“Must you be so nosy of others’ business?” Passion remarked. Her hoof splayed across her pectoral.

“That’s laughable coming from you,” Lazuli countered. “The mare that always wants all the deets of Bud’s stallion hunting.”

“Look Lazuli,” Passion started as she slammed her hoof to the floor. “I’m not in the mood for this right now. I just need to find him. Somewhere in this building, Leaf has hidden himself.”

“Why would he be hiding from you?” She wondered. “I thought he already confessed to you?”

Passion’s eyes widened. “And what gave you the idea that he did that?”

“I don’t know,” Lazuli shrugged. “Intuition, I guess. Wait, are you telling me he didn’t? That sneaky jerk! He tried to weasel himself out of our deal!”

“So that was the reason he said all those things,” Passion concluded. “I knew in the back of my mind that he didn’t have the guts to act. Always caught up in his work and his incessant need to be a saint to others.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Lazuli's body shook with anticipation. Or maybe it was anxiety. She felt a clash of contradictions within herself that she didn’t know what to side with.

“It doesn’t concern you,” Passion stated. “What I plan to do only involves me and Leaf.”

“C’mon,” Lazuli persisted. “You’re always the one to proudly say things out loud. When do you ever keep things to yourself?”

“…are you asking this for me or yourself?” Passion’s piercing gaze halted Lazuli. Passion closed her eyes and let out another sigh before looking at the troubled mare. “Perhaps you should stop making excuses for yourself and finally take matters into your own hooves for a change.”

“And who are you to tell me that?” Lazuli unintentionally stuttered in her words. Something she’s never done in a conversation with Passion. Defiance was the only thing she wanted this prissy mare to see in her. To know that she isn’t a mare that she could toy with.

“Because I’m going to say it,” Passion proclaimed. “I’m going to take my chance.”

Her declaration sent chills into Lazuli's bones. She didn't know whether to be happy or intimidated by this mare before her. Her body seethed with contractions. Aimless, neutral, lost.

“You serious?” was all Lazuli could manage to ask.

“My,” Passion started with a grin. “It's rare to see at a loss for words. You’re so much more bearable this way.”

“Enough with the snarks!” Lazuli voiced. “You can’t seriously mean you’re going to go through with this? I mean, aren’t you scared of what his answer may be?”

“Of course, I’m afraid,” Passion confessed. “I’ve felt this way for him for a long time. I’ve put so much thought, so much investment in this feeling that I’m terrified of it all being swatted away.”

“Then why?”

“Lazuli, though I hate to admit this, and I mean this in the highest sense of the word, we do share a similarity. We both have a pony that we care deeply about. One that we could fondly think of a future with. But tell me, who is it that will bring that future for us?”

The question weighed in the air for a moment before Passion continued. “We both know the answer. Though we wished for our crush to make the first move, it’s quite obvious we don’t have that luxury.”

“So, it falls to us in the end…” Lazuli surmised. It was an answer that she always knew to be the case, but something again and again she preferred not to think about.

“I can’t wait forever for him to act,” Passion said. “I can’t wait for that change to come. Sometimes it falls to ourselves to make it so.”

“You think it’s that easy?” Lazuli argued. “You think I didn’t know that already. Celestia knows I wanted to just let it out already. But I want to be considerate of her own feelings. I wasn’t always the best pony to her.”

“Then are you content with this mysterious thestral claiming her?” Passion asked her the question. The question that erupted a boiling rage within Lazuli.

“Don’t you ever mention that deadbeat!” Lazuli confronted Passion with a leer. “No creature that can be there for their foals is worthy of her!”

“And the longer you wait,” Passion said. “Some creature will. We both know that our Bud has grown a lot over these last few months. Who’s to say it will earn the fancy of a good stallion?”

“I…” Lazuli lacked a retort. How could she deny it? Her months into motherhood has truly blossomed Bud into an inspiring mare. Full of wisdom and confidence, a beauty that only Lazuli saw that is now open for every creature to see.

“I can’t tell you how to run your life,” Passion said. “But I know what I want to do with mine. So, I won’t make any more excuses.” With her last few words, Passion turned away and walked further into curved halls.

Again, Lazuli was alone. With her thoughts and feelings. Contemplating, debating, but never coming to a conclusion. Her mind rattled with contradictions. “No more excuses,” Lazuli mumbled.


Lazuli slowed her steps when she caught Bud in her vision. There was, gingerly patting the back of her son with her daughter spouting groans at her side.

The colt burped over his mother’s shoulder and parted his mouth to taste the air with his tongue. Lazuli shook her head at the colt’s carefree spirit. “Always so silly,” Lazuli commented with a smile.

But then it perished when she focused her gaze upon Bud again. Many times had she seen that kind joy upon Bud’s face and always would it spark purpose for her. But now, she felt cold.

“What do I do?” Lazuli contemplated to herself. “Do I go up and tell her or do I set the moment? How do I even do that?” Lazuli craned her head in frustration. .

“Your head is gonna spin if ya keep that up,” Lazuli heard a voice. It was Pear Butter in her lonesome, strolling before Lazuli.

“Oh…” Lazuli lowered her hooves back to the ground. Her face did little to hide her bewilderment. “Hey…”

“You know,” Pear started. “I don’t think Bud has properly introduced us to each other. The name’s Pear Butter.” Pear extended a hoof towards Lazuli to shake.

Lazuli felt pressured to oblige, and she easily crumbled. “Summer Lazuli,” she introduced herself.

Pear held her hoof on Lazuli’s longer than Lazuli would have expected. Her body tensed in anticipation of the protective sister setting her warnings.

“The worst thing you can do for yourself is to overthink things,” Pear said. Lazuli’s expectation subverted, she gaped at the friendly mare before her. “Take some deep breaths and just go over to talk to her. Take it all at your own pace.”

“What?” The sudden advice left Lazuli dumbfounded.

Pear turned her sights to a platform that had red curtains blocking the view behind. “I think it’s about to start soon,” Pear said. “We should talk later, okay?” Before Lazuli could respond, Pear had already run off back to her blanket to join her family.
.

Lazuli took a breath and made her first step. Then her second and third. The rest felt automatic like she was standing on an escalator. There was no turning back now.

“You’re back,” Bud announced Lazuli’s presence when she stepped upon her blanket. “I was wondering where you went off to.”

“You!” Nebula points at Lazuli with an intense gaze. Nothing she hasn’t seen from the vampiric filly before. “You also share blame for Luna’s gluttonous behavior. How foolish of you to allow this plebe to be watched by that succubus. Where are your priorities for your queen!?”

“Neb is really throwing a tantrum there, isn’t she,” Lazuli said and took her seat before Bud. Grace and Hope were nowhere to be seen. Please don’t tell her they’re joining the contest as well...I wonder what stupid outfit she’s going to have for the two of them.

“She’s been like this ever since I came back,” Bud sighed. “I told them that Arty should get five slices, but they fed him the entire container.” Her words came out like a pouting foal that was being scolded. A sight that enamored Lazuli. If only she had a camera to make it last longer.

“You have no excuse for your failings,” Nebula berated her mother. “Your focus should solely be upon Luna before any creature else. To neglect her for some menial conquest over the graceful dunce is inexcusable for a guardian.”

“Yeesh,” Lazuli sighed. “How long are you going to be mad?” Lazuli picked up the furious filly. Offended by this transgression, Nebula prepared her fangs to punish the Lazuli. However, foreseeing this action, Lazuli used a hoof prod the filly’s head upward and sunk her own teeth upon the filly’s sensitive ear.

“No, stop!” Nebula beseeched. “You can’t use this to solve all of your—” a squeak pore out of Nebula.

Artemis scrambled at the sound of Nebula’s voice, pushing from his mother to hound upon her vulnerable sister. However, his ravenous intentions were abated by the lunging grasp of her mother. Caged between her hindlegs, Artemis’s plot was thwarted as soon as it started.

“Honestly,” Bud sighed, but a warm smile came after. “It never ends with you two.”

When Lazuli felt the filly’s body recline upon her, she sheathed her teeth away and stuck the tuckered filly between her hind legs. It felt odd to Lazuli of how she became familiar to this. She’s never even done this with the foals back at Hope’s daycare center.

“You’re becoming a natural at this,” Bud commented. “Those years at the daycare center are really paying off.”

“I think it’s more than that,” Lazuli said. She brushed Nebula’s smooth and spiky mane with a hoof. It’s grown out a lot over the months. To the point where Lazuli had to clip it down to prevent it from being a hazard to Nebula’s flight practices. She really got a mouthful from Bud and Grace when she cut the filly’s mane without their consent, but Lazuli developed herself to be quite the adept barber for the filly. All for this one violent and prissy filly.

Realizing her eyes dawned upon the filly for longer than she liked, she met upon Bud’s again. The mother’s eyes shimmered with intrigue.

“What?” Lazuli blurted. Her cheeks heated before her glaring crush.

“I didn’t realize it before,” Bud started. “But you’re starting to have the face of a mother.”

“Huh?” Lazuli raised a brow. “How do you have a mother’s face?”

“It’s just a feeling I get,” Bud admitted. “ Though I'm more surprised that you’re not offended by it.”

“Wow,” Lazuli playfully emphasized. “Did you somehow forget I’m a mare too,”

“You know I didn’t mean it like that.” Bud began to rub upon Artemis’s tummy when he started tussling about within Bud’s hindlegs. Rubbing on the right spot sent him in utter bliss as she started to moan and drool on his mother’s hoof. “I’d be lying if I denied how hectic things have been since Neb and Arty had joined us in our little apartment. It must have been a real burden helping me out with my own problems, but I’m really thankful that you’ve been taking it well.”

“And here I thought you’ve grown out that apologetic habit of yours,” Lazuli said. “Sure, these two have made my days crazy, but I can’t really think of a day without them now. They’re pretty much part of my normal now.”

“So they have you hooked?” Bud wondered.

“You say it like they’re an addiction,” Lazuli raised a brow.

“Addiction can come in all sorts of forms. Some can be an incessant need to dress their foals in and others can be overly attentive to their safety.”

“I’m not overly protected,” Lazuli protested. “If I’m any kind of mom, I would be the cool type.”

“Don’t be like that,” Bud chuckled. “There’s no shame in being wary of their safety. I think that’s what Nebula likes most about you.”

“Well she has a terrible way of showing it,” Lazuli said. “Even after all the lessons I gave her, I still get the impression that she doesn’t like me.”

“Hate is Nebula’s default personality. You gotta look into the small details to see how she really feels.”

“Sounds like you have her all figured out,” Lazuli grinned.

“She doesn’t make it easy, but I think I understand her. At least a little bit.” Bud’s eyes lidded upon her dazed daughter. Something about it felt so sagely, wisdom of which Lazuli couldn’t fathom. She wanted to understand too. She wants to be right by Bud’s side, in body and mind.

“Hey Bud,” Lazuli started. A shiver slipped out of her voice.

“Yes?” Lazuli attained Bud’s full attention. Her sapphire eyes that felt to be provoking her to pounce. A wild feeling that she would always have to abate for their sake.

“I have...something I’ve been wanting to ask,” Lazuli managed to say. Her throat suddenly felt heavy.

“You have?” Bud blinked. “Oh, it’s not about my match with Grace, is it? I promise I have no ill will against her. Though, it did feel satisfying…”

“Not that,” Lazuli snapped. Lazuli took a breath and exhaled. Lazuli met with Bud’s eyes again. They stiffened with concern. Lazuli takes a breath again and paves forward. “Bud, we go way back, right? You’ve seen parts of myself that I didn’t like and you helped me to accept and work out of them. I, uh...want to thank you for that. Wait, no, that’s not what I’m trying to go with this! Let me try this again.”

Bud and Artemis blankly observed the panicking mare. Lazuli contemplated her choice of words and how it may come out. Distracted by her desire to piece her words perfectly, she failed to account for Nebula’s recovery and her boiling fury for vengeance.

“I will rip your ears for your crime!” Nebula cried as she turned her body and headbutted Lazuli’s chin.

Lazuli stumbled to her back, providing the Nebula the leeway to stand atop the briefly dazed mare. Lazuli recovered her senses in time to abate the filly’s lunge with a prod of a hoof. She was careful to place her hoof upon the filly’s forehead to avoid sharp fangs she bore out.

Craning her chin with her other hoof, Lazuli struggled to push away the tenacious filly that leered at her with those malicious cerulean eyes.

“Bud,” Lazuli called for her. “I could use some help here.”

“Nothing will save you from my wrath!” Nebula sneered with her fangs out wide. “You will rue the day that you contested against—” Nebula stumbled her words when two lime hooves enshrouded her waist and hoisted her away from her prey.

“If you don’t want to endure another nibble then stop it right now,” Bud warned the filly. “And you know very well that I know all your most sensitive parts.”

Nebula stiffened at her mother’s threat. The ongoing months had shown to her that Bud was becoming more and more a formidable opponent. There appeared to be no trick or prowess that she could overwhelm this basic mare with. This one insignificant and powerless pony would always have Nebula at her mercy.

Nebula’s body shook when she noted her mother’s teeth. “Fine,” she stuttered. “I shall forgive her foolishness. However, don’t expect me to be so charitable the next time.”

Bud responded with a hug that Nebula protested again at first. But as always, she would eventually relent and let her mother’s embrace shower her. The warmth and flutters across her skin felt so safe and intoxicating. Something about it felt so familiar.

Lazuli raised her head and was welcomed by the sight of a tamed Nebula. The filly’s eyes shut and tightened her body upon her mother.

Lazuli couldn’t quite put her hoof on it, but something about this seemed divine. Like she was a witness to a great wonder. A rather grandiose evaluation she made that was immediately halted by the splash of a sudden colt upon her barrel.

A hoarse breath escaped Lazuli and she quickly picked her body back on her hind. She picked Artemis to her hooves and held him away from herself. The colt stretched its hooves ravenously towards the befuddled mare.

“Okay, that’s enough of that,” Lazuli declared. Artemis giggled, looking more and more of a filly with the cheerleader outfit still garnered on him.

“You said you had a question for me,” Bud said. “Right?”

Lazuli gazed at Bud again, and then back to Artemis. She sighed and shrouded the colt upon her. “I do. But maybe it’s better we do this when these foals are distracted. Think we could go out somewhere after this?”

“Go out somewhere?” Bud wondered. “Well, this event was going to be my whole day. Oh!” Bud’s eyes lit. “How about we go to Ponyville? Granny Smith is going to start her annual apple cider sale in a few days. I just love the way the Apple family makes them. But are you sure it can wait? It sounds like it’s important?”

“Some things probably shouldn’t be rushed,” Lazuli said. “If I'm going to do it, then it's going to be done my way."

Bud blinked at her friend before giving her a smile. In a few days, that expression may have a whole new meaning. For the better or worse, their warm moments like this would forever change. And when that time comes, she’ll face it head-on. For Bud and herself.