• Published 3rd Sep 2018
  • 4,674 Views, 247 Comments

Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon Team up to Save Everyone - Codex Ex Equus



Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon team up to save everyone

  • ...
11
 247
 4,674

Chapter Three - Team Up

Her Sun, Celestia was happy to note when she awoke, was patiently waiting on the horizon for her to raise. Well, it wasn't that she was happy to note it, more that she wasn't filled with blinding rage that it wasn't there.

She sighed, as she began making her way through the halls of Twilight's castle. Something would have to be done about Nightmare Moon, immediately. That mare was devious, and up to something, and Celestia for one was not about to fall for this 'not wanting to bring about eternal night' nonsense.

Had she only known the Nightmare had been lurking in Luna's head all this time, waiting for a chance at vengeance…

Celestia grimaced. Well, now she knew Nightmare Moon was still around, and the monster was free, to boot. Which might actually work out to her advantage, she mused silently. If the Nightmare had still been inside Luna, they would have had to figure out some way to remove her without hurting Luna. But now that she was running around free, it would be much easier finding a way to deal with her that was more....

Permanent.

Celestia shook her head as she entered the kitchen. She had more important things to be worrying about now—well, only slightly more important—and nodded to the unfamiliar stallion who was looking through a cupboard.

"Um, hi," said the stallion. "Nice to meet you finally, I'm one of Twilight's servants—"

"Oh, hi Ka-klack," she replied, pulling out the tea kettle from its familiar place and beginning to look through Twilight's tea selection.

"You... how did you—"

"For one, Twilight has yet to hire any servants. She's humble, it's one of the things that makes her so cute." Realizing what she had just said without thinking, she blushed but continued on. "Also, you and I are... acquaintances, I suppose would be the term. I know you well enough to recognize your body language. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it if I didn't know about the servant thing, though, so you can patch your ego up."

"Sorry," said the embarrassed changeling. "It's just... I've been spotted before, but being called out by name is a horse of a different color. No offense."

"Well, I'll try not to bring it up next time."

There was quiet as Celestia made her tea, not quite the silence of two friends who had nothing to say to one another, but not uncomfortable either. Pouring the tea into a cup—one, she noted with a pang, that had her own cutie mark on the side—she took a seat at the table across from Ka-klack. Sipping her tea, she let out a sigh as the liquid gold hit her system.

"You miss her, don't you?" asked Ka-klack suddenly.

Celestia looked at him for a moment, then nodded. "Of course I do. I have... very deep feelings for her. But even if I didn't, she would still be my friend. My closest friend, one I've known nearly her entire life."

"Do you want me to... I mean, I could be her—"

She cut him off with a sharp, almost angry shake of her head. "No, Ka-klack. That wouldn't be right. She's... what she means to me..."

"I know you love her. If you're worried about me feeding off that love, I wouldn't. You just seem so..."

"How do you know about that exactly?" asked Celestia, narrowing her eyes.

"Queen Chrysalis knows. That means we all know," he replied.

"Of course, of course." Chrysalis knows. Obviously they'd refer to her in present tense still, Celestia mused idly.

Out loud, she said, "While I do appreciate the thought, that isn't something you should go around offering to do for ponies. Some might not take it as well. It's... well, it's complicated. You can't just replace a pony's loved one."

"Then... what's going to happen to us?"

Celestia realized her mistake, but there was no going back. "That... I didn't mean—well, I did, but—"

"The Queen and your sister were talking about us integrating into your pony society, but that involved us still being able to feed as we normally do. If you don't want us to do that... if you won't let us, then..."

"I'll figure something out," promised Celestia. "I've always taken care of my little ponies, and if I have to do the same for my little changelings too... then I will."

"Do you really mean that?" asked Ka-klack, a look of wonder on his face. "I mean, I taste that you do, but still..."

"Of course I do. All the citizens of my land are my responsibility, no matter what their species."

Celestia jerked back in surprise, suddenly finding herself being hugged by the disguised changeling. "It's a shame you don't feed on love too," he said, gazing up at her. "You'd be getting a pretty good meal right now."

She giggled, wrapping a wing around him. "Trust me, knowing I've helped my subjects, that I've made them happy, is more important to me than any meal."

She stood up, gently disengaging from Ka-klack. "I must thank you for this time we just spent talking," she said, moving towards the kitchen door. "While I may not be able to feed off your love, I can feel it, and I'm going to need that feeling to get through what is coming."

The changeling cocked his head at her. "You don't think going to the hive is going to be dangerous, do you? I've already promised you everything Queen Chrysalis said was sincere."

"I'm not talking about that," said Celestia darkly. "No, this is going to be far more difficult and dangerous..."


"Because it's CRAZY, that's why!"

Hovering in the air, her hooves thrown out in frustration, Rainbow Dash was nearly vibrating with indignity and anger.

Celestia gazed back, unimpressed by the outburst. "No, it is the only logical thing to do. Leading an entire army, as you seem to be suggesting, into Chrysalis's hive would draw far too much attention to our current situation. I would prefer not to point out that I am currently the only Princess left in Equestria."

"That's exactly why you need more guards!"

Murmurs of agreement came from the ponies (and changeling) seated around the map table in Twilight's throne room, and Rarity leaned forward.

"I know you place great trust in our dashing Captain, but one guard isn't anywhere near what you should be taking with you to be safe, even with the five of us along and with our Rainbow Power still active."

"Still have Rainbow Power. Must throw more parties. Can't sleep." Pinkie Pie, eyes wide and staring, was sitting in her chair with her forelegs around her knees and rocking back and forth. Every once in awhile she seemed to blur, and occasionally the faint sound of distant cheering and confetti cannons going off could be heard.

Celestia took a deep breath. This was going to be the hard part.

"You don't have to worry about keeping me safe. Because you five are staying here."

The following outburst was predictable, aside from its volume. Whether it was from the Rainbow Power or out of sheer indignation, the five ponies combined managed to do a credible imitation of the Royal Canterlot Voice.

"I will have quiet," she said casually, once she had finally tired of the noise. Her horn glowed, and there was silence as the ponies found that while their mouths might move, no sound came out.

"Good."

She stood, pacing about the room. Lecture mode came to her naturally, particularly when what she was doing was actually lecturing.

"I have the power to appoint temporary regents to the throne," she began, frowning slightly as she tried to organize her thoughts. "You most likely did not even notice the last few times I did so. For the record, they were after Luna came back, after the changelings' attack on my city, and after Twilight became a Princess. I try to save such 'vacations' for only when they are necessary; to wit, recovering from injuries or spending time with... ponies who are important to me.

"My usual regent for the past few years has been Prince Blueblood—don't make those faces, he is actually quite in his element when he has power and responsibility."

She sighed. "But in this case... I can't risk it. Should something happen that requires a more authoritative response, I will not be mere moments away as I would normally. I trust Blueblood to rule in normal times, when I am available as backup. But this situation is somewhat different.

"There are certain factions in Canterlot, and around Equestria, that would prefer it if, say, there were no more Princesses in control of the kingdom. I doubt very much that they would ever take direct action, but if word were to get out that three Princesses had been turned to stone and the fourth is out adventuring... a coup d'état wouldn't even be hard to pull off in this situation. And if they're quick enough to form some sort of parliament or senate before I get back, I can't just disband it and proclaim myself ruler again, no matter how obviously corrupt the new government is. The backlash against my dissolution of 'The Republic', or 'The Pony's Democracy', or whatever name they come up with for their mess would be too much.

"And should anything else threaten the kingdom while I'm gone, say another changeling invasion or the like–yes, Ka-klack, I know, it was merely an example—I need more firepower than just the Royal Guard in place to fight it off—yes, Shining Armor, I know, but the guard can't handle every situation."

Celestia stopped pacing, to look around the table at each pony that sat before her. "You five have exactly the qualities I'm looking for," she said softly. "You are already respected and well known throughout Canterlot, as the heroes who have saved Equestria many times over. That gives you an authority not even Blueblood can match.

"You would also be much harder to overthrow in a coup than he, not to mention that any plotters would have to modify their plans in a hurry to deal with five regents rather than one. I'm sorry if that makes it sound like I'm purposefully putting you in harm's way, but I wouldn't do so if I thought there were any true danger.

"And the same thing that makes you hard to replace in a coup makes you capable of dealing with any larger threats–namely, you all have continuous access to your Rainbow Power. Even with just the five of you, that should be enough to deal with anything that might conceivably pop up."

Her horn glowed again, dispelling the magic that had kept everyone else in the room silent.

"I have one last thing to say. For the past thousand years, never once have I truly been off the throne. No vacations, no personal days, no sick days, nothing. Always I have remained ready to resume my responsibilities at a moment's notice. This is the first time I will be doing so. And I am trusting you five to handle those responsibilities for me while I am gone. I wouldn't be doing this if my trust were not full and complete."

Even with the spell gone, the room was still silent. Finally, Applejack spoke.

"It's not that we don't trust ya, Princess," she said quietly. "It's just... we don't believe in ourselves. Running a kingdom ain't the kind of thing we know how to do."

Murmurs of agreement came from the other ponies in the room, and Celestia smiled gently.

"Then don't believe in yourselves. Believe in the fact that I believe in you."

The five looked at each other, doubt warring with the bit of inspiration Celestia had been able to provide.

"I'm not even worried about that," said Rainbow Dash. "I know I'm awesome enough to run Equestria all by myself. My problem is that you're going off by yourself with just a changeling and Shining Armor to protect you. Not that you aren't almost as tough as me, but that's not very many ponies to take along on a dangerous quest."

"I get the feeling that last part is more what you're concerned about," said Celestia slyly.

Rainbow Dash crossed her forelegs across her chest and turned away. "Well, okay, maybe I want to go on the awesome dangerous quest too, but that's beside the point."

"We'd just feel better if you had more protection," said Fluttershy softly. "We know how strong Shining Armor is, and I'm sure Ka-klack will be a help as well, but two ponies isn't much."

Celestia sighed. "I'd take some of you if I could, but I'd feel better with you all together here, protecting all of Equestria instead of just me. I could take a squad of guards with, but they aren't exactly subtle, as I mentioned earlier. Plus, it would take a day, maybe more, to organize everything."

She shrugged. "If any of you know a strong pony who wants to tag along, let me know and I'd be glad to have them."

"Such a nice invitation," said a teasing, echoing voice. "I think I'll take you up on it."

The shadows in the room darkened, and out of them stepped Nightmare Moon. It was her in all her glory this time, silver-blue armor glinting in what little light was left in the room, eyes narrow and hungry, pointed teeth on full display in a wide grin.

"Or, I can stay here and help rule Equestria!" She lowered her head, leering up at Celestia from under the edge of her helmet. "And you know, they both sound like so much fun, I'm just not sure which one I prefer. Why don't you decide for me, sister?"

Slowly, the other ponies in the room turned to look at Celestia, following the sound of growling. Seeing them all stare at her, she closed her eyes, letting out a long, deep breath. Opening her eyes again, she let time come to a stop as she considered the situation.

Okay, option one: kill Nightmare Moon where she stands.

Technically, not an option at all. The Nightmare was nowhere near the level of power she'd been at the last two times they'd met, but the battle in Ponyville had proved the two of them to be equals now. Any attempt at a fight would end in a similar stalemate, with the possibility of causing severe collateral damage to the town. Again.

Option two, then: take her with.

Not a great option. Having a bodyguard that had vowed to kill her was very low on Celestia's list of good ideas. Being murdered in her sleep would be a distinct possibility, right behind Nightmare Moon betraying them all at the first sign of trouble. And the odds of her stealing and/or destroying and/or corrupting whatever power or artifact they found in the end were near one hundred percent.

Finally, option three: leave her behind.

Possibly an even worse idea. This would, most likely, give her exactly what she wanted. The five ponies and their Rainbow Power only might be a match for the Nightmare; the odds of coming back to find Equestria shrouded in eternal night were, again, nearly one hundred percent.

And now come the mind games.

What did Nightmare Moon want Celestia to do? And what didn't she want her to do? She wasn't even trying to pretend she wanted one option over the other, she was just presenting the choices and letting Celestia decide. She'd know exactly what Celestia was thinking right now and was probably laughing her head off, imagining what her nemesis was going through.

Did she want to be brought along, so she could stab Celestia in the back at some point? Or did she want to be left in Canterlot with the five ponies who had defeated her before, to get revenge and claim Equestria for her own? Or did she even have some third scheme in place, and it didn't matter what Celestia did, and this was all just misdirection to leave her vulnerable to the real attack?!

She took a deep breath to calm herself—a metaphorical deep breath, since a real one would have taken hours at the rate she was currently experiencing time—and made her decision.

"Why, if you wish to come with and help, who am I to deny you?" she said sweetly, as time began to flow at its normal speed. "Any assistance on my quest would be welcome. Even from you, dear sist–Nightmare Moon."

Even sarcastically, she wasn't going to call that monster her sister.

"Oh, goody!" Metal clanged as Nightmare Moon clapped her hooves excitedly. She gave a smile that caused Fluttershy to duck under the table. "I can't wait for some bonding time. I've been wanting to get... close to you again for quite a while."

They stood, glaring at each other in mock cheeriness, until Pinkie Pie suddenly attached herself to Nightmare Moon's neck in a hug.

"Yaaaay, we're all friends now!" she cried, as Nightmare reared back in surprise. "And you two lucky dogs get to go on a roadtrip together!"

"W-what is this thing?!" cried Nightmare Moon, twisting her head desperately in an attempt to remove the pink pony. "Get it off!"

Celestia watched in amusement and awe as Nightmare Moon ran about the room, trying futilely to dislodge Pinkie Pie. The pony's rodeo skills were quite impressive; try as she might, the black alicorn was unable to buck off the smaller pony. Maybe she had been wrong in her decision; with Pinkie Pie there to watch over her, Nightmare Moon might not have a chance to try anything if she were left behind.

"Don't say anything," Celestia said quietly as Shining Armor, standing next to her, opened his mouth. "I know. Trust me, I know far better than you. But it's the best out of many bad options. I decided I'd rather have her where I can watch her, than having her running about on her own. She's my problem and my responsibility, and I will deal with her."

Shining Armor just sighed and closed his mouth with a shake of his head, and went to try and separate Pinkie from Nightmare Moon before the latter remembered she had magic and vaporized the former.

The amusement faded from Celestia's face as she watched Nightmare Moon with an intensity that would have frightened her guard captain, had he still been nearby to see it.

"Trust me, I will deal with her. For good, this time," she hissed under her breath.

Then she let out a loud squawk. So intently had she been focusing her hate on Nightmare Moon that she had failed to realize what said pony's rapidly increasing nearness meant, until the fleeing Nightmare slammed into her and the two went crashing to the ground in a tumble of legs and wings.

"Wow, that looked like it hurt," said Pinkie from the opposite side of the table, once again sitting in her seat as she watched the two alicorns thrash about on the floor.

Author's Note:

Fun fact:

Not much to say about this one, either. It's largely exposition again, setting up things for the rest of the story.

Actually, it also sets things up for a story I need to start working on soon—it's sort of a side story, detailing what goes on in Canterlot while Celestia and company are off on their adventure. So it's five chapters, one for each of the Mane Six who are trying to do Celestia's duties. Fun stuff.