• Published 22nd Sep 2018
  • 6,357 Views, 201 Comments

Tale of a Lost Scoots - RDfan27



The CMC start to notice that they never visit Scootaloo's house or meet her family. When they try to investigate, what they learn is truly shocking.

  • ...
10
 201
 6,357

Chapter 28 - Twilight's Return

There was a bright flash of light and Twilight appeared in the clearing where their journey first began. It had only been a few days, but it seemed like so much more to her. With the taxing nature of everything that they had been few in the past few days, Twilight felt like she had aged a few years in the short amount of time.

Twilight sighed out loud. This was not the time to stop and take a breath. That could come later. Right now, her friends needed her, and so did this whole island. At the moment, the fate of an entire land full of ponies rested squarely on her shoulders.

Twilight gulped. Since she had awoken back at the hideout, she had not very much time to think at all. Now that she stopped and actually thought about the gravity of the situation, she was overwhelmed. ‘I can’t do this! I can’t do this! I can’t do this! I CAN’T DO THIS!’

Her doubts raged through her mind, even as she tried to push them to the back of her mind. ‘I mean, I’m a princess, so I’ve taken care of plenty of big issues before… but I’ve never had the fate of an entire land of ponies resting on me!’

Twilight took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She focused her magic through her horn into a beam of energy and wove it through the air around her, looking for the tiniest hint of a magical signature.

It didn’t take long for her to find the signal. Once she had, she quickly latched her magic onto the portal, and activated it, throwing herself through.

***

“Ughh,” Starlight groaned as she plopped down onto the couch in Twilight’s Castle.

Spike hopped up onto the couch opposite of her. “You can say that again,” he quipped sarcastically.

“Ughh,” Starlight repeated, although slightly louder this time.

Both of them had worked themselves to the bone that week. Ever since Twilight up and left with nothing more than a note saying she’d be back soon, they had been left with the task of managing the School of Friendship. This proved to be much harder than expected, as none of the other teachers were there.

“When’s Twilight gonna be back?” Spike asked.

“Spike! For the hundredth time, I DON’T KNOW!” Starlight shouted a little too forcefully, causing the dragon to shrink back at her tone. She noticed this and sighed.

“I’m sorry Spike. I guess I'm just a little on edge with Twilight being gone for this long.”

“I know what you mean. It’s not like her to be gone this long without at least some sort of explanation.”

As if on cue, a bright magenta light flashed in the center of the room, momentarily blinding them. When they were able to see again, they were greeted by a disheveled and listless Twilight standing in the center of the room, trying to regain her balance.

“Twilight!” Starlight called out, rushing forward to meet her along with Spike.

“Hey guys,” she muttered halfheartedly, before putting the same amount of effort into the hug she was quickly enveloped in.

“Twilight, what happened?” Starlight asked frantically. “Are you hurt? Are we in danger? Where are the others? Wh—” Starlight’s words were cut off as her mouth was enveloped in a magenta glow and quite literally zipped shut.

Twilight gave an annoyed sigh. “Starlight. I’m fine. The others are fine. Now, I’m going to release your mouth, and I want you to take a deep breath, and calm down, okay?” Twilight said, almost seething through restrained anger.

Starlight responded with a quick nod, at which point Twilight released the spell, and Starlight was free.

After taking the recommended deep breath, Starlight trotted up beside Twilight and placed a hoof over her friend’s shoulders.

“Twilight,” she began in as calm of a voice as she could muster. “Are you really okay? I know you better than that front you’re trying to put up. I know something’s wrong.”

Twilight sighed, slumping her shoulders in defeat.

“So, are you gonna tell us what’s wrong or not?” Spike asked impatiently.

“Sure, Spike,” Twilight said, not being able to help the smile that crept onto her face at spike’s antics that she had missed so dearly. “But, first I need you to do something for me. Do you remember that one scroll I had you hide back when I first became a princess?”

“You mean the purple one?” Spike asked, to which Twilight only gave a small nod. “Well, of course. You only made me recite where I hid it twice a day for a year.”

Ignoring the remark, Twilight nodded. “I need you to go get it and bring it to me.”

“Yes, ma’am!” Spike said, puffing his chest out and giving a salute before running off towards wherever he had put the scroll.

Chuckling, Twilight turned back towards Starlight, before noticing the inquisitive gaze she was receiving. “Hmm?”

“What scroll?”

“Oh, it’s a scroll Princess Celestia gave me when I became a princess. It’s used to call on her in an emergency. It will get to her immediately, even if she is in an important meeting or summit, in which case a normal scroll would be blocked. She told me only to ever use it an emergency, and now is the first time I’ve actually had an emergency where I need to use it.”

Starlight blinked. “So… you need it now, but you didn’t need it during any of the other, maybe... ten times you’ve had to save Equestria up until now?”

Twilight blinked. “But… there’s a whole nation counting on me! I’ve never had this much responsibility before!” she exclaimed.

Starlight simply raised an eyebrow. Twilight was about to continue, but she stopped. Aside from realizing that she hadn’t even told Starlight the problem yet, she also realized that Starlight was right.

“Uggh!” Twilight groaned loudly as she walked away. She hated being wrong.

A few minutes of awkward silence later, and Spike returned with a vibrant purple scroll in his claw. “Got it!” he exclaimed as he entered the room once more. Upon noticing the thick tension in the air, he paused. “Uh, what happened while I was gone?”

“Oh, you know, the usual. Just Twilight overreacting again,” Starlight said, ignoring the glare Twilight shot at her.

Twilight shook her head, and stepped forwards, grabbing the scroll in her magic. Opening it up, she also picked up a quill from a nearby table and began to fill in blank areas on the scroll. With one quick flourish of the quill at the bottom of the paper, she levitated the scroll back down to Spike, who took it and instantly sent it on its way.

“Now, we wait,” Twilight said.

“I wonder how long she—” Spike was cut off by a bright flash of light at the center of the room when the alicorn in question suddenly appeared. “Never mind,” Spike said quietly.

“Princess!” Twilight exclaimed, running up to her mentor who was all too happy to wrap her student up in a warm embrace. “I’m so glad you could make it so quickly,” Twilight said, nuzzling up against the Princess’ chest.

“I got your scroll. I came as fast as I could,” Celestia said. “Now, what is it that is so important?” Celestia asked.

“You might want to sit down for this…”

Author's Note:

Hey everyone. The next chapter is here. I'm sorry you all had to wait so long for it. Please let me know what you think. Feedback and constructive criticism are always appreciated. Next chapter, we should at least start getting into the main part of this arc, so be on the lookout for that. I have also started work on editing the first few chapters of the story. That should be coming soon, although I am not sure when I will have the time to get them done completely. I will post an update if something changes. See you all next week! :scootangel: