• Published 30th Aug 2018
  • 10,657 Views, 1,254 Comments

The Untrotted Path - Luna Aeterna Solutae



At the moment before she leaves Equestria forever, Sunset Shimmer's destiny is taken away from her. A new path unmarked by pony hooves is placed before her.

  • ...
142
 1,254
 10,657

Gold Cobblestones (Edited 11/5)

Sunset closed her eyes and counted to ten. Cadance had every right to be here. The squirt had even said that the Pink One foalsat her, and that she would be doing so tonight. She let out a slow, sullen breath and dragged herself to her hooves, trying to ignore the pounding in her head.

Her muzzle split in her best winning grin, a wide toothy smile that didn't quite touch her eyes. The prissy Princess shrank a little under her stare, rather like a dog that had been kicked a time too many. She gently rested a hoof on the squirt’s withers.

“Just making sure my student makes it home safe, Princess.”

Cadance nodded a little too sharply, and scurried off somewhere. Presumably to the kitchen. Sunset gathered herself up and deposited herself and Twilight on the sofa, dragging her saddlebag into her lap. Something about the squirt’s puzzled expression gave her pause.

She froze. She'd invented that look. It was the one she'd turned upon Celestia herself one morning after watching her raise the sun.

It was a wordless question.

She refused to be broken by it. She returned it with a steely glare, a shard of fire stolen from the Unconquered Sun.

“No. I do not like Cadance. No, I will not tell you why. Yes, it's personal.”

She withdrew the book from her pack with a quick flourish and a grin.

“Now. I have homework for you.”

Twilight blinked, the Look broken. She merely nestled in against Sunset with barely-hidden glee as the cover of the tome was cracked. It was everything- a spellbook, a storybook, a history text. Everything a foal exhausted and bored by levitating blocks and lessons far below her ability would desire.

It was the book that started Sunset’s education, given to her by the Light of Dawn, Celestia Herself.


In the Beginning, Starswirl writes, the races of ponykind were created from the Fundamental Elements.

The tribe of Earth was called forth from the Stone.

The tribe of Unicorn was called forth from the Water.

The tribe of Pegasus was called forth from the Air.

These were gifted with animation by the Fire, and given thoughts by the Will. Got your notebook ready? Good.

The new Ponykind trotted the Earth, breathed the Air, and moved like Water. They lived and loved, with the Fire.

But from Will comes thought, and from Will comes Magic.

Starswirl’s First Precept: Magic is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will.

Through Will, the Earth Ponies attuned to the Stone. They shaped the earth beneath their hooves and made it bountiful and much lush of life and greenery.

Through Will, the Pegasus Ponies returned to their native Element and took to the Air. They flew, and tamed the weather to their whims, calling storms to worry their enemies and gentle rains upon those they called Friend.

Ever-shifting and immutable, the Unicorn Ponies turned their Will within and without. Their Will flows through our world and became Sorcery.

Thus were the Pillars of Equestria created:

Strength

Healing

Hope

Beauty

Bravery

And Sorcery.

These are the Elements and traits found in Ponykind United.


Twilight stared in rapt fascination as the illuminated pages flicked by, and Sunset put on her best ‘Starswirl The Bearded’ voice. Cadance leaned her head in from the kitchen and smiled a tiny smile, meant only for her.

The Princess of Love could see the chains that bound one pony to another. She could see links forming between the ponies nestled on the sofa, and the tiny smile on Sunset’s muzzle whenever Twilight stopped her to ask a question.

She wondered. She had never seen a bond between Sunset and another pony. How would loving somepony other than herself change her? How would Sunset’s love affect the filly she had grown to love? Despite her best impulses, she resisted the impulse to interfere, to strengthen those chains.


Sunset read on, and Twilight listened, asked questions, and scribbled hasty notes. Soon enough it was time for supper.

Having not had the pleasure of growing in a fishing village in Cavelia, the two stared at the dish before them with doubt. Flesh stared back.

Fresh fish, baked with herbs and sprinkled with cheese.

Sunset and Twilight sat on one side of the long table of Sparkle Manor’s dining room, with Cadence on the other side withdrawn and fretful.

Unbeknownst to Sunset, Twilight learned all the time. The filly was practically a sponge for information and knowledge. As Sunset lifted a fork in a haze of turquoise telekinetic aura and dug into the flaky fish before her, Twilight learned the first of many important lessons at her hooves.

When somepony does you the Kindness of cooking a favored dish for you, you must repay that Kindness by trying it.

The already awkward silence stretched as Sunset pushed the forkful into her mouth with all the bearing of somepony tensing at the first striker-cap snap of a firing squad. She chewed thoughtfully… and dug in for a second bite.

“Thish is actually… really good. I didn't know you cooked, Cadance.”

Cadance had the decency to tuck her wings tighter and shuffle her hooves, before nodding. The musical Cavellian accent hadn't yet faded from her tongue to be replaced by the lockjawed permanent sneer of Canterlot.

“It is a celebration meal. My mother cooked it for me when… I got my cutie mark.”

She offered nothing further, for fear of further attracting Sunset’s attention.

Over the course of the meal, the two older ponies teased out details of Twilight's first day- and the ponies who had been nice to her.

She and another two fillies had almost immediately grown bored of the instruction and had wandered off to their own corner. They learned their names; Moondancer, who was quiet and had read a book with Twilight, and Bouncing Betty, whose magic had a habit of erupting in fitful sparks and flashes when she grew excited.

The fire extinguisher had seen use throughout the day, and by the end of it Betty’s demeanor and unfortunate magical issue had quite exhausted it.

Before too long, last sips of tea had been sipped and last morsels swallowed. Twilight was nudged upstairs for a bath by Cadance, and Sunset volunteered to clean the dishes, giving Twilight a second object lesson;

When you are a guest in somepony’s home, it is polite to offer to assist in some small way.


Sunset flicked through the Primer, checking the skeleton of her lesson plan against the surprisingly neat hornwriting of her student. Cadance’s head poked over the stairs and her soft voice sang out.

“Twilight wishes for you to read her a bedtime story, Sunset. And please… no more of the Primer, or she will be up under the covers checking her notes with Miss Smarty Pants all night.”

Sunset took a deep breath, counted to four. Let it out, count to four. She herself had done the same to Celestia on numerous occasions, although a stuffed toy hadn't been in the equation. She selected a book more or less at random from her saddlebag and trudged up the stairs.

Twilight's bedroom was much as she had expected. It was large enough to contain a growing filly, walls lined with tall bookshelves and only a single untouched toybox at the foot of the rather well-sized bed, a dresser and armoire, and a worn writing desk. She smiled as she sunk hooves into the plush pile of the green carpeting, making her way to pull herself up onto the bed.

The light was turned out and changed for a nightlight, which really had Sunset gape for a moment. Far beyond a single candleflame attached to the wall, Twilight’s light threw a starfield across her ceiling, creating a perfect illusion of the night sky.

She swallowed and opened the book, taking a deep breath before beginning to read.

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria…

Author's Note:

Revealed Clues.
*Sunset continues the thread of narration as dialogue.
*Jumpcut scene transitions cause momentary confusion in certain characters, before blanks fill in.