• Published 8th Oct 2018
  • 7,950 Views, 1,005 Comments

Good Trooper Gilda - Mitch H



Gilda just wanted to find herself. Instead, she found herself a soldier's life.

  • ...
10
 1,005
 7,950

The After-Party

“Hello, Pinkie Pie,” said Gleaming Shield through gritted teeth. “It hasn't been nearly long enough since the last time I saw you. And don’t call me that, my name is -”

“Yeah, yeah, grrr, I’m so tough, I’m going to pretend I’m my dead brother! Fine, hi there, ‘Gleaming Shield’. You manage to kill anygriff today? Boy howdy did we send you a lot of rebels, didn’t we? Which battalion were you with again?”

“Fifth Griffish Territorial, as I’m sure you already knew. You always know, somehow.” The lieutenant’s eyes fell on Major Pie’s rank tabs, and Gilda felt for her at that moment. Gleaming Shield had been so proud of her early promotion, and the prospect of an even earlier captain’s baton in another half-year or so. How did a classmate of hers from the pony military academy end up reaching the rank of major already?

“Oh, yeah, I remember now. You must be the only member of our class to have volunteered for the colonials. Not that a few others didn’t end up out here all the same, but none who wanted it, or with your grades.”

“And none with your grades, either, Pinkie. Tell me again how you passed the final exams?”

“Ha! Family secret, I can’t tell you!”

“If that’s a euphemism for nepotism…”

“You know where I came from Twilight, the ponies of Rock Valley don’t have any hooks in high command!”

“Stop CALLING ME THAT!”

The pink staff officer giggled and stuck out her tongue, making an ‘oopsie’ face. Meanwhile, the general had gotten bored of his underling’s antics, and wandered off with the dark-maned pony soldier without any rank tabs. To look closer at the piles of griffon dead, Gilda supposed.

No pony corpses anywhere to be seen.

“Did you say that this battle was your idea, major, ma’am?” asked Gilda, to derail the circular argument the two ponies were locked into.

“Oh, yeah. Maybe. Not really? I mean, I didn’t mean for this, exactly, to happen. But we always knew that taunting the rebels day in, day out with flashy military parades would eventually draw out a response. So did the rebels, though, so, you know, they avoided being drawn out, and we kept waiting for the boom. Always boom tomorrow, you know, never boom today? Six months we’ve been waiting for the boom.

“Honestly, I think we finally killed or captured the last rebel commander with the sense to not rise to our bait, and here they are. Baited! The dummies must be in charge on that side of the fence, now. I just hope we didn’t catch the dumber ones in this.

“They might try it again!” The young staffer giggled like an innocent foal, smiling sweetly in the midst of the worst stench Gilda had ever smelled.

And Gilda had known some truly ripe quarters of old Griffonstone. She looked down, and realized that although the pink pony was bouncing up and down on her naked hooves, somehow she was staying out of the pools of drying, sticky blood and worse fluids soaking the cobblestones under-hoof.

“Pinkie,” ground out Gleaming Shield, “Could you take a little less joy in the damage done to our own battalions? The Second Brigade had to have paid heavily for this success of yours.”

“I’m not celebrating today’s success. I’m rejoicing in the end of six months of failure! What you have to understand, Twilight, is that war is full of ponies who absolutely, positively, absoposolutely need cheering up in the worst way possible. So we need to blow them up in the fastest, quickest way possible, so that the survivors can enjoy the 'yay, you surrendered!' parties!

“So as far as I’m concerned, the tragedy wasn’t today. It was these long, boring months of burning down the ghettos one warehouse and shack at a time, torturing these poor birdies and killing them only a little at a time. That was the real tragedy! So we killed a whole bunch of them this time! That’s a good thing!

“Maybe the survivors will even come in and sue for peace! Wouldn’t that be nifty?”

Lights were being set up by griffons under the instructions of unicorn ponies with their horns glowing bright. The clean-up continued, as more and more uniformed ponies appeared to rubberneck, much like Gleaming Shield and Gilda had done. Gilda was stuck with the lieutenant’s gig, so she couldn’t wander around like the rest of them, and slowly lost track of both Gleaming Shield and her sort-of-not-really friend from school, as they meandered into the darkness, still squabbling.

While she waited for the lieutenant to wrap up her screaming session with Major Pie somewhere out in the half-darkness of the battle-damaged square, Gilda found herself with nothing to do but stare at the nearest pile of dead griffons, and eavesdrop on the conversations of other officers as they emerged from the darkness in their turn, and drifted past her carriage.

“Amazing that they chose Gilbert Square. It’s as if they were trying to get mouse-trapped…”

“...strike force was in exactly the right place, it’s like they just put their flanks in our faces…”

“...could you believe it? I thought it was a trick. We didn’t tuck right into them, because I was busy sending scouts into my own rear and flanks looking for the other side of the pincers or the surprise. But they didn’t find…”

“...when Major Pie told us to move the flying battery in parallel ahead of the crab-backs, all she said was that we were ‘in case of massacre-related emergencies’. I have no idea how…”

“...but how would they have known we were there? We didn’t know we’d be there until we were…”

“...things scare me in this world, but that mare terrifies me. It isn’t the glee, it’s the incomprehension when you ask her…”

“...terrible civilian losses, though. The bombs caught more onlookers than anything…”

“...sickening, really. We did our jobs. Damn well. It could have been…”

“...hospitals are overflowing, I hear…”

“...not a single casualty in my entire unit.”

“Really? I had two wing-sprains and a recruit managed to stab herself with her own spearhead.”

“Well, those hardly count. That’s your basic marching order sick-list fodder…”

“Interesting place to wait for your officer, Lance Corporal Gilda,” the dark-coated stallion said, appearing out of nowhere in Gilda’s blind spot. “Getting a good earful of intelligence, are you?”

“Gah! Hello, uh - sir? Do I know you from somewhere? Uh - where’s your rank tabs?”

“That’s need to know, and you’ve already gotten two ears full of things you did not Need To Know. I think it would be an excellent thing if ALL THE OFFICERS IN THE SOUND OF MY VOICE WOULD RETURN TO THEIR UNITS IMMEDIATELY! This is not a coffee klatch, nor is it a staff conference! This is a battlefield! If you are not scrubbing cobblestones in five minutes and you are still in this square, I will have you arrested for dereliction of duty!”

Gilda looked around for the goon squad which the nameless dark pony was using to back up his utterly unsupported threats, but there wasn’t anypony or anygriff anywhere around. But when Gilda looked back, the dark pony was gone, and the officers were scattering to the four winds.

“...the residue of a prepared mind. Oh, hello, General Grouchy-pants. Seen enough of the butchery yet?”

Gleaming Shield and Pinkie Pie emerged from the gloom in one direction, and the General and a collection of additional aides from another direction, both of them arriving in Gilda’s dim little corner of the stinking darkness at the same time.

“Pie! We still need to talk about the decisions made today! If you’re going to be part of my G-3 section, I need better accountability-”

“Oh, General, didn’t you get the memo? I won’t be joining your Operations section. I have a letter from Sky Marshal Firefly. They’re establishing a new command-level staff section for me and my ponies. J-13!”

“J what? There isn’t even a J-12!”

“No, and there isn’t a J-11 either. But there’s a J-13 now! I’m calling it the Special Section for Plotting, Planning, and Partying! I will need to talk to your Gs 1 through 5 inclusive. This experiment proved the concept, I’ll be spinning up your very own Special Section, your own G-13! We’re going to make this war so much fun, the enemy will just die from laughter!”

The lieutenant rolled her eyes, and turned her back on the livid commander and his herd of confused underlings as the pink pony continued to fill the darkness with her madness.

“Come on, Gilda. We’ve been ordered out of the way of the cleaning crews. Time to return to the battalion.”

And as night displaced evening, the griffons with mops and shovels started appearing out of the darkness around the jabbering major and her captive audience of staffers. Gilda and Gleaming Shield lifted up off the ground, spiraling lazily counter-clockwise over the indifferently-lit battlefield.

As they rose into the dark skies, Gilda saw first one, then three pegasi in the light armor the pony aerial squadrons wore. They were doing something peculiar she didn’t quite understand at first in the darkness. Without asking permission, Gilda turned the colonel’s gig aside to investigate.

Gleaming Shield helpfully lit up her horn to illuminate the mystery ponies as they flitted about in the smoky air over the darkened battlefield. Gilda could now see this pony and that grabbing bits of blackened smoke, and dragging them here and there, while others flew rapidly in and out of the globe of horn-glow like barn-sparrows through a fireplace-lit longhouse.

“What are they doing, lieutenant, ma’am?” asked Gilda, flummoxed.

“Storm-making, Gilda. They’re building a rainstorm from scratch. It’ll be a filthy rain, put together with this miasma. Stinking of gunpowder and death.”

Gilda had never understood the pony fixation with controlling the weather, but never had she not understood so intensely as that night, watching pegasi labor long into the evening, wringing a bit of foul drizzle from those dry, smokey clouds.

“But, why?”

“Tradition, Gilda, tradition. After any battle of note, the warriors of the pegasus nations have done this. They bring together whatever clouds they can, and wring them out over the battlefield. Some say it is their way of weeping for the dead. They themselves will tell you it’s to wash the blood and the hate away, so that it doesn’t attract windigos.”

“But windigos are a myth!”

“The pegasus position on that question is that if they keep to their traditions, the windigo will continue to remain a myth. Regardless, I like my posterior unfrozen, don’t you?”

As Gilda bent the aerial cart downwards, and started the search for the rest of their battalion in the half-darkened streets below, they passed between the flying ponies as they flew through the measures of their traditional cloud-cotillion. Long after they left them behind, the pegasi continued to wring bitter tears from the dry eye of the heavens into the night.

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate, Oliver, Eagle-PaladinOfShadows, and the general Company.