• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,892 Views, 29 Comments

Dark Tidings - moguera



Behind the scenes of the Lunaverse, something evil lurks.

  • ...
3
 29
 1,892

Prologue

Dark Tidings

So, RDD has reviewed this story and it's officially too dark for canon. I can live with that. I intend to carry working in canon events as they occur in later works. Not quite what I was hoping for, but probably what I should have expected when the primary antagonist is inspired by HABIT. Oh well, on with it.

Prologue

And so the three tribes learned how the conflict between them had drawn the Windigoes upon them and how the power of Friendship had forced them away. Together, the three tribes vowed to never repeat their mistakes. They pledged to work together, not as separate groups, but as a single family. And from that vow, on that land, a new nation was born. And they called it Equestria!

How arrogant ponies are. They tell that same simpering fable every year to build up their self-importance. Friendship? How truly laughable. Oh, I'm sure it was their willingness to put aside their differences that allowed the three tribes to drive off the Wendigoes. But friendship only goes so far. How amusing it is that ponies are so ignorant of their own history.

I wonder if there are any who remember that the Wendigoes weren't the first. They weren't the first catalyst that caused ponies from the three tribes to unite. It doesn't take much, for ponies or for us. To unite them, all you need do is give them something to draw their ire. Yes, there have been many times ponies have come together for a greater good.

And every time, after the threat was gone and all was said and done, ponies forgot. Every time, they vowed never to repeat their mistakes. And every time, they failed miserably. Why is that? Do ponies secretly adore and crave conflict? Does the hatred between their three tribes transcend the hope Friendship has to offer? Of course not. There is only one true monster here, and that is time.

But what happened? By now, Equestria should have shattered into a hundred competing principalities. Canterlot should be a hollow ruin, it's beauty and majesty swallowed by the decadence of the Night Court as those callous fools eat each other alive. And yet, Equestria still stands. Thousands of years have passed and it yet remains. Why? What was different this time? Why hasn't their little empire succumbed to the curse of time, the curse of mortality?

You don't have to look hard to find the answers though. The ponies have gained something, something they didn't have the previous occasions they had banded together, only to plummet headlong back into strife a few generations later. They gained a princess...a pair of them in fact.

We looked on and thought it brilliant. We too wanted to avoid making the same mistake over and over again. We wanted to remember. The ponies had a way. We only thought it fitting that they share.

Was that too much to ask?