• Published 29th Sep 2018
  • 7,259 Views, 96 Comments

Exit Anon-a-miss. Enter the dragon - Phantom-Dragon



Sunset Shimmer decided to spend Christmas alone. That is until Spike came for a visit.

  • ...
18
 96
 7,259

Absolute Zero Rescue

"Sunset!" Twilight called out, running through the streets, passing through a crowd of busy people who carried on with their shopping, while paying no mind to the desperate girl. "Sunset Shimmer? Sunset Shimmer?! Where are you?!! Sunset!!!" Just then, a little purple dog appeared, "Did you find her, Spike?" She asked.

"Sorry Twilight," Spike shook his head. "But no."

The girl let out a frustrated groan, "We have to find her, Spike. We need to at least make sure she's alright."

"Looking for Sunset Shimmer?" A voice asked, revealing itself to be Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo.

"Girls?" Twilight asked, adjusting her glasses to make sure she was seeing right. "What are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be..."

"We wish," Sweetie Belle sighed. "But it's just too depressing at home."

"This was our fault from the start than it is our sisters'," Apple Bloom added. "And it still is! We never meant for it to go this far, especially towards Sunset."

"So we're going to end it," Scootaloo added. "And we're going to do it right, with Sunset."

Twilight and Spike both looked to each other, before they turned back towards the girls, "I know where Sunset is!" Another voice spoke up, revealing itself to be Wallflower Blush.

"Wallflower?" The friends asked.

"Yeah, it's me," The girl sighed. "I have as much guilt than you girls for Sunset's suffering. Everybody were all finally moving on with their lives. But I'm the only one who was stuck living in the past."

"Yeah, yeah, we already know that, Flower," Puppy Spike barked. "But now we-"

"-we were all healing from all the past misdeeds, but I reopened the wound!" Wallflower continued. "I just....I know there's no excuse for what I did, but I'm really, really sorry for what I-"

"Wallflower...."

"Let me say something! I just...I just want to be noticed, but the attentions I've been getting were...."

"WALLFLOWER!!!!" Everyone shouted.

"AAAHH!!! WHAT?!" The girl exclaimed, finally snapped back to reality.

"Why don't you help us find Sunset Shimmer first, then you can apologize to her face, later?" Puppy Spike suggested.

The girl's face turned red with embarrassment, while holding a hand over her head, berating herself for making the situation longer than it needs to be, "Uh, right," Wallflower agreed.

With the moment finally calming down a bit, Spike's dog counterpart's ears perked up, "Hey!" He barked excitedly. "You hear that?" The girls all looked at the little dog, before he shouted, "It's Sunset Shimmer! She's in trouble!!"

"What?!" The girls shouted.


Not wasting another second, the girls were racing to the rescue, arriving in the park, at the frozen lake, where they saw the girl they've been looking for, walking across the treacherous fragile surface of the ice cold water.

"Sunset!" The girls all called out. But it was no use.

Sunset was too far away to hear them as she continued to walk across the ice, until finally, the ice broke, plunging Sunset Shimmer into the freezing water below.

"NOOOOOO!!!!" The girls and dog screamed in horror, as they raced down to the shorelines.

"We've got to help her!" Scootaloo was the first to step forward, only to be stopped by Twilight.

"Scootaloo, no! It's too dangerous!" The telepathic girl cautioned.

"But we have to save her!" Sweetie Belle said, frantically.

"And we will!" Twilight replied. "But we need help!"

As if she had read Twilight's mind, Wallflower Blush was already on the phone and was making one quick call, "Rainbooms!" Wallflower shouted frantically. "Rainbooms! You have to help! Sunset's in trouble!"

"Sunset?!" Applejack exclaimed, as she and the girls all sprang to life as they crowded around the girl. "Where is she?!"


Later

The rest of the Rainbooms panted heavily as they looked across the park, before they arrived at the lake, where the others were waiting.

"THERE! IN THE WATER!!" Scootaloo screamed, pointing to show a blur of orange and yellow, thumping beneath the ice cold surface in vain, with Twilight carefully levitating herself, slightly above the ice, reaching out for the fiery girl.

"HOLD ON, SUNSET!!" Rainbow screamed, activating her geo's power to race across the ice, only to slip on the icy surface. "Whoa!"

"DASH!!" Twilight shouted, holding her hands out, quickly catching the athlete just in time.

"Phew, thanks Twi," Rainbow panted, catching her breath as the rest of the Rainbows arrived on a set of Rarity's diamond shields, all crafted together as a makeshift raft.

From up above, they could see Sunset Shimmer desperately pounding against the icy surface, before her expression drained away completely, along with what's left of her energy, as she began to disappear into the darkest depths of the lake.

"SUNSET!!!" Activating her geo's power, Applejack punched the ice hard with her fist, breaking it apart to create a hole in it. Before the ice could have the chance to recover, the country girl tied a rope around her waist and held the other end to the Rainbooms. "As soon as I grab her, you'll pull us up!"

"Got it!" Rainbow Dash nodded, as Applejack dove into the water to rescue Sunset Shimmer.

The water was cold and dark, and Applejack can feel its bitter embrace as it prepares to claim her life as its next victim. Applejack can feel her lungs burning and straining through her chest as she held her breath, while swimming hard and struggled to locate her fiery friend amidst the murky water.

The water was too dark, and it was getting too cold for Applejack to stay submerged any longer. The strong girl was about to swim back up, when her geo amulet started to glow in its aura. And in that moment, Applejack could see a crimson red glow, piercing the darkness. It must be Sunset Shimmer! It has to be!

Applejack swam hard, towards the light, reaching her hands out.


Back on the surface, the Rainbooms and the CMCs all waited anxiously for their friends. Suddenly, the rope jerked, "Applejack's got something!" Apple Bloom exclaimed.

"Then pull!" Rainbow shouted, as everyone all grabbed ahold of the rope, and with all their might, they hauled Applejack, out of the lake to present her catch.

"SUNSET!!!!" The Rainbooms hauled the freezing, wet, and barely conscious Sunset Shimmer, back onto safe grounds before the lake could claim them as well.

"Is she alright?" Fluttershy asked anxiously.

"Not unless we get her somewhere warm and fast!" Rainbow answered. "C'mon! Let's go!"

"Hey! What's she holding?" Pinkie asked, prying the fiery girl's arms to reveal...

"Spike?!" The girls exclaimed in bewilderment, and confusion, as they repeatedly turned their eyes back and forth, looking at the Spike who was at a safe distance, to the Spike who was held in Sunset's arms.

“Two Spikes?!” Twilight said in confusion. “How can this be?”

“We’ll worry about that later!” Applejack replied, gently picking up Sunset and Spike, carrying them in her arms. “Let’s get these two warmed up! Nothing like a sip of my granny’s soup to beat the cold.”

“Well then let’s go already!” Rainbow Dash said anxiously, as the girls all bounded for home.

However, while no one was paying attention, the geode amulet around Sunset’s neck was surrounded in an uneasy aura of magic that crackled intensely. The same magic which flowed down Sunset’s arms, then towards Spike, and the two squirmed uneasily in their subconscious states.

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long. I nearly forgot about Puppy Spike. And if there's one thing about dogs, they've got good hearings and sense of smells.