• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 4,198 Views, 39 Comments

The last human - mattstorm360



"Life finds a way." It's never been more true.

  • ...
7
 39
 4,198

Discovery

Canterlot. It is home to many ponies, most importantly princess Celestia and her sister princess Luna.

Celestia's room is of average size with a painting of a shooting star, a fireplace and, a seat in the middle. The princess sat in the middle reading a letter from her star student Twilight Sparkle.

"Princess. Are you in?"
Out side a Pegasus messenger came knocking on Celestia's door.
"Yes come in" Celestia opened the door with her magic and continued to read Twilight letter.

"Princess news from professor Old Bones."

Professor Old Bones, a paleontologist, is a old unicorn mare with a brown coat and blackish beard, mane and, tail.

The Princess was given the letter before the messenger left. After finishing Twilight letter she took Old Bones letter and started to read it.

Dear Princess Celestia
I would like to inform you that in the north west area near Dodge Junction we have uncovered what has seem to be a bunker of sorts. We have found a way and found the markings and the architecture in nothing I, or any pony has ever seen. The items here are also strange as well. We discovered a "pod" of sorts. This "pod" seems to hold something in it and we have not tried to attempt to open it yet in fear of what ever is in there could be damage if we forced it open. I am planing of having the "pod" taken back to Canterlot along with a hoof full of the items we could take as well as the bones of some sort of the bipedal species we found around the bunker. I included pictures of the sight, bones, and the pod.

Sincerely Professor Old Bones

Celestia has ruled Equestria with her sister for decades and received letters about old battle sights of there ancestors but never heard of a bipedal species or at least one near a bunker that is not of pony origin. She looked at the pictures Old Bones included.

The bones showed a bipedal species with a strange claw, a rib cage a strange skull that looks nothing like a pony but closely like a baby dragon skull, and the skeleton seemed to be putting there claw up in front of there head to protect it from something. Possibly the thing that killed it.

The dig site showed several more skeletons in a similar position. Some looked like they tried to brake into the bunker. The bunker its self is round at the top and most of it was still burred underground there was a doorway on the side of it which was most likely the way Old Bones got in.

The pod is long and gray with little features and also looked vary clean, almost no dirt or dust was on it, or at least that could have been seen in the picture.

Another knock came to Celestia's door.

"Tia?" Celestia recognized the voice instantly and replied.

"Luna. please come in." Luna walked in and sat by her sister's side noticing the pictures and the letter.

"What's this?"

"A letter from Old Bones. She wanted to tell me about a new dig site."

"A dig site of what?" Luna asked curiously.

Celestia picked up the pictures with her magic and gave them the her sister. "See for your self."

Luna was amazed at the pictures and almost speechless. "I never seen anything like this." Luna said plain and simple.

"I know..."

"Is there a problem sister?"

"Just thinking about this new species what ever they were"

"What do you mean?"

"We never seen a bipedal race like this. Why did they die off?"
More questions came to mind with the fact the

-The next day-

The train ride to Canterlot from Dodge Junction was anything but normal. The train's cargo car was full of bones, artifacts and a large pod. The door to the car was blocked by two royal guards. The only one in the cargo car was Professor Old Bones who was studying the artifacts before coming to Canterlot. The train was made a stop at Ponyville to unload some passengers and load new ones. The new passengers were Twilight, Spike, Rainbow dash, and a dozen other ponies. Twilight and Spike are going to meet Celestia after receiving a letter for them to come to Canterlot. Rainbow came along to see the Wonderbolts air show in Canterlot. She decided to tag along with her friends

The train ride was mostly quiet. Rainbow went on being a fan girl a couple of times, but still mostly quiet.
Spike was sitting down and looking out the widow.

"Hay Twilight."

"Yes Rainbow?"

"Why are you and spike go to Canterlot again?"

Twilight rolled her eyes in annoyance. She had just told Rainbow Dash what they where doing before. Seven times to be precise. "Princess Celestia wanted me to come back to Canterlot to help research the discovery of a new species."

Rainbow yawned. "That sound's boring."

"Boring? It's a new species that lived long before us."

"Yep."

The train soon got to Canterlot and ponies started to get off and go about there day but in the back guards where helping unloading the strange cargo.
Old Bones was watching the artifacts being transported and only started to walk to his lab when the pod came out. The pod is in the shape of a cylinder with oval shaped ends being moved at a

Twilight, Spike, and, Rainbow Dash got to Old Bones lab there they found the strange artifacts, Old Bones, and Princess Luna

"Princess Luna" Twilight and her friends gave a bow "It's good to see you again."

"It's good see you again Twilight Sparkle"

Rainbow looked at the artifacts "Sooo... what is all this stuff?"

Old bones started to talk "Well we really don't have any idea but it is from some sort of bipedal race."

Spike walked over and looked at the pod "Whats this?"

"To our best conclusion... It's a coffin."

"And whats in it if it is not a pony?" spike asked with a curious look on his face.

"We where going to take a look with a x-ray spell. Twilight will you like to do the honors?"

"Okay. Here it goes" Twilight's horn started to glow and a transparent cloud formed on top of the pod show what's inside.

Old bones gasped along with eveypony else. There is something in there but it was not just bones


At this point Twilight has stopped using her spell and started to talk. "Is anypony else thinking the same thing?."

Old Bones used a spell unicorns used to check a ponies heart and what they found was a slow betting heart inside the pod.

"It's not a coffin. It's a... I don't know what this is."

"Professor you studied many creatures and you don't know what this... is?"

"No i'm sorry princess I don't"

Rainbow sat next the the pod "So... should we get it out?"

"I don't know, but we still need to find out how to properly open the pod. We don't want to kill, what ever this thing is."

"Old bones is right." Twilight said. "We should find out how to open this pod some way" Twilight placed her hood on the edge of the pod when suddenly a panel pops up out the front of the pod causing Twilight to back up."

"Well that was convenient." Spike said

"It must be some sort of... control panel." Twilight started to read the text on the small screen. "Unlock? Wait... this is in perfect equestrian. Unlock. Princess should we?"

"I don't know. Professor?"

"It would be a opportunity of a life time. Twilight... unlock it please."

"Ok..." Twilight look at the screen for a minute and found out to open the pod she had to push a orange flashing button.
"Here it goes." Twilight pushed the button and the pod started to rumble and mist started to blow out of the pod. the pod opened in the middle from top to bottom reviling a pale faced creature covered with a thin layer of ice.