• Published 28th Aug 2018
  • 2,136 Views, 102 Comments

He Was Number One - Acoustic Pulse

  • ...
13
 102
 2,136

Crystal Empire

Author's Note:

Last chapter was a bit of comic relief, this one's going back to a little more seriousness.

Rotten Core was having trouble sleeping in the worn wooden bench. The fabric that covered it was splitting and the springs kept poking him whenever he would move. He had to lay still as a statue in order to be even remotely comfortable.

He whispered into the darkness, hoping he could have somepony to talk to, "Is anypony awake?"

He heard the quiet breathing of his sleeping bunk buddies. He decided to head back up front. Obviously, if the train was still moving, then Full Steam would still be awake. He got up from the chair. He had been feeling surprisingly well during this trip, but his side was starting to give him fits. It dawned on him that he only had two weeks left to live. The thought shell-shocked him. He was stood frozen in place, staring into the pitch-black darkness.

He had been enjoying the trip and the thought of his impending demise hadn't really crossed his mind, but now it hit him like a ton of bricks. He was filled with fear. Pessimistic thoughts echoed in his mind.

What if the doctor was wrong and I die sooner than estimated? What if I don't make it to Ponyville and I die on this train surrounded by ponies I barely know? Cherry Jubilee is kind of family, but she didn't even recognize me. Come to think of it, I didn't really recognize her either until just now. But how many other Cherry Jubilees are there? Celestia, this is dreadful. I'm not ready to go yet, there's still so much that I want to do, Rotten Core's head was spinning.

"What are you doing up?" a whisper came from behind him and it caused him to jump out of his skin. He turned to face the direction the voice came from. It was one of the Canterlot Guards.

"Having trouble sleeping, I was thinking of heading back up front with the engineer," Rotten Core replied quietly.

"Why were you just standing there?" the Canterlot Guard asked.

"Caught up in deep thought again," Rotten Core answered.

The guard appeared sympathetic, "About what?"

Rotten Core's eyes fixed on the guard, he realized it was High Caliber, "Well, I'm terminally ill. I only have 2 weeks to live. My mind's filling with all these hypothetical questions. It's maddening."

High Caliber nodded, "I heard somepony say you were sick, I didn't realize it was that bad."

Rotten Core sighed, "It is."

High Caliber thought for a moment, "Come with me, there's something I want you to see. It may not change your fate, but it will be something to remember before your time comes."

Rotten Core wasn't sure where this was going, but he followed the Canterlot Guard to the back of the passenger car. High Caliber opened the door, leading to the caboose. He passed through the caboose and opened one more door that lead to a small platform surrounded by a small gate. The cold night air felt refreshing, Rotten Core took several deep breaths to decompress.

High Caliber motioned to a ladder that lead to the top of the train. He climbed it and Rotten Core followed him. When they got to the top of the train, Rotten Core's eyes met with a strange natural phenomenon. Several bright green and yellow lights shined in the sky. It was unlike anything Rotten Core had seen before.

After giving him a moment to take in the sight, High Caliber spoke, "I told you. Pretty cool, right?"

"I can understand why so many ponies come from all over Equestria to see this. This is truly a sight to behold," Rotten Core was in awe.

"I was sent here with Flash Sentry to be on guard detail for Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor. I genuinely forgot they existed until Princess Luna walked up like: 'You two, I have a mission for you.' I was like: 'Luna damn it.' She gave me this angry look and yelled out: 'DO NOT USE MY NAME IN VAIN!' It was funny," High Caliber recounted his tale.

"Echo Chamber and True Grit said they were the only ones getting off here," Rotten Core said, laughing at the guard's story. This caused his side to hurt.

"We were supposed to keep it classified, but I'm sure I can trust you with this information," High Caliber replied.

"Oh, absolutely, I won't tell a soul," Rotten Core promised.

"I didn't think you would," High Caliber retorted.

Rotten Core looked up in the sky. Billions upon billions of stars shined and twinkled like blinking eyes. He was an avid astronomer as a young colt, the sky always fascinated him.

He turned to High Caliber and said, "Sometimes, I wish i was a pegasus so I could experience that freedom."

High Caliber smiled sympathetically, "You'll be free eventually. All in due time."

"Well, you're not wrong," Rotten Core retorted.

"It's freezing out here, let's get you back inside where it's warm," High Caliber shivered and pointed at the ladder.

"It's probably best," Rotten Core obliged. The two of them climbed back down the ladder. They opened the door to the caboose and passed back through it. They opened another door that lead back to the passenger car. The others were still sleeping when they got back.

"Going to try and get some rest. You should as well," High Caliber said.

"Alright," Rotten Core went to another seat, hoping the cushion would be intact. He couldn't see anything. Normally, there would be moonlight shining in,but the clouds decided they didn't want anyone to see.

The only minuscule fragments of light were those big colorful lines way off in the distance. He took the L and simply decided to go back up front with Full Steam.

RC opened the doors and moved from the passenger car to the cab. Since the cab was partially open, it felt considerably colder up there than it did in the passenger car.

Full Steam turned to see Rotten Core, "Hey, buddy. We're almost to the Crystal Empire. I think I might sleep for a while when we get there. I hauled flank trying to get myself back ahead of schedule. I wasn't able to, but I can spare at least an hour or two for a nap or something."

"Hey. Sounds good. I'll be sure to get the passengers on and off the train while you rest," Rotten Core replied.

"Much obliged," Full Steam looked visibly exhausted. He had been engineering so long, you wouldn't have been able to tell because the train was still rolling smoothly.

"No problem," Rotten Core smiled.


Rotten Core headed back to the passenger car. The train was just pulling to a stop at the train station. They had made it to the Crystal Empire. Echo Chamber was already awake and packing his typewriter and stationery back into his saddlebag. He had awoken True Grit, who was still asleep when the train stopped. He jumped up with a start. He had his front hoof drawn back as if he was about to kick Echo Chamber. He realized where he was and what he was doing and restrained himself. He rose and the two of them headed toward the door as it opened.

"Rotten Core, it was nice meeting you. Expect to see that story about Quick Draw and Victory Lap defending you in the papers! Take care of yourself, enjoy the time you have left," Echo Chamber said to him as he stepped off the train.

"You as well, and thank you," Rotten Core replied. Echo Chamber smiled and waved as he took off in full gallop toward his workplace.

True Grit got off of the train next. He waited at the station for the next train to Vanhoover. He decided to stand and talk to Rotten Core while the two Canterlot Guards made their exit. The train was becoming emptier and emptier.

"That was an interesting ride, definitely one I'll never forget," True Grit laughed.

"I agree. It was a pleasure meeting you," Rotten Core smiled.

The doors stayed open. This confused True Grit, who figured the train would be ready to hurry toward Canterlot, considering it's a 12-hour trip and it was still only 5am. They'd make it by the late afternoon and could make it to Ponyville by dark if they hurried.

"What is Full Steam waiting on?" True Grit asked.

"He's been rolling nonstop this whole time, he said he wanted to take an hour nap before he shipped off to Canterlot," Rotten Core replied.

"Well, if I knew that, I'd have stayed on the train to get the hay up out this cold," True Grit chuckled and boarded again. Rotten Core closed the door to keep the air warm in the passenger car.

"I don't know when the Vanhoover train is going to be here, but you can just chill here til Full Steam wakes up, or until your next train gets here, whichever comes first," Rotten Core replied.

"I appreciate that," True Grit nodded.

"Ain't no problem," Rotten Core shrugged. The lights in the passenger car came on and it practically blinded everypony onboard. Anypony who was still asleep was definitely awake after that.

"Luna damn, my eyes," Rainbow Dash groaned as she stirred.

Pinkie Pie and Maud Pie were still asleep, their heads resting against each other. Sisterly love was a bond that could never be broken, regardless of how different they were from each other.

Cherry Jubilee sat quietly in the back of the train. She is normally flamboyant and outgoing, but it was just too early in the morning.

Octavia rose from her seat and approached Rotten Core. The two of them hadn't spoken the entire trip. When she got to the door, she asked him, "How long until we get to Canterlot?"

"According to Full Steam, it will be a 12 hour ride from here to Canterlot and then a 2 hour ride from there to Ponyville," Rotten Core answered.

"Alright, thank you," Octavia stopped and just seemed to realize something.

"Wait, you're the only pony on this train that I haven't seen at the Grand Galloping Gala," she said to him.

"The Grand Gallivanting what?" Rotten Core raised an eyebrow.

Octavia sighed," Grand. Galloping. Gala. It's one of the most prestigious events in all of Equestria. It's held in Canterlot, the Princesses host it every year."

"Oh, that shindig. Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I've never been there. Crowds are too big, and I'm too sick to spend a lot of time standing. I've only been able to deal with this train ride because I was able to spend the entire trip sitting down. I only get up when the doors open and when I just feel the need to stretch my legs," Rotten Core retorted.

"Oh, I see. Well, I'll tell you what. Since you're kin to Applejack and Applejack attends almost every year, the next one that happens, I'll make sure you get a ticket. The Gala is a once in a lifetime experience, believe me," she smiled.

"Well, that all sounds well and good, but in case you haven't realized, I'm terminally ill and I only have 2 weeks to live. I won't live long enough to experience this Grand Gallbladdering---Grand Gulaging---whatever it's called," Rotten Core sighed.

Octavia's smile faded, "Oh, I can't believe I forgot about that. That totally slipped my mind. My apologies. I'll just go back to my seat," she retreated, embarrassed and sympathetic at the same time.

"It's not your fault, don't worry," Rotten Core smiled reassuringly.


Another train pulled into the station on the other side. Another conductor poked his head out of the cab of the other train, "ALL ABOARD! CRYSTAL EMPIRE TO VANHOOVER NOW BOARDING!"

True Grit checked to make sure he had everything before he left, "That's my cue!"

Rotten Core opened the door and he exited. Everypony waved goodbye to him as he disappeared. Silence fell after a minute or two and the other train pulled off.

"Is Full Steam up yet?" Lyra asked. She had slept pretty much the entire trip, it was a miracle to see her up at 6 in the morning.

"I'll go check," Rotten Core shrugged. He closed the passenger door then passed between the car and the cab. He saw Full Steam set the engine off. The train began to slowly push out of the station. Rotten Core returned to the passenger car.

"I'll take the movement as a yes," Lyra laughed and closed her eyes again.

"She sure does sleep a lot," Rainbow said.

"You sure do run your mouth a lot," Lyra clapped back.

Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth and chose to remain silent. That was the third L she had taken on this trip and she was not happy about it. She was just glad this trip only had two more stops to make. She sat back and chilled. The road to Canterlot was still a long one.

End of Chapter 7!