• Published 28th Aug 2018
  • 2,158 Views, 102 Comments

He Was Number One - Acoustic Pulse

  • ...
13
 102
 2,158

Epilogue: The Funeral

Author's Note:

Surprise epilogue.

This story still felt incomplete to me. I finally decided to close it out with one more chapter. This is what I felt the true ending should have been like.

It was a quiet day in Appleoosa. A small cart rolled down a dirt road that ran through the town. In the cart was a splintered wooden casket. A bouquet of roses sat on top of it. They rolled to a stop when they got to Braeburn's house.

The funeral was attended by many of the friends Rotten Core had made on that long train ride. True Grit, Quick Draw, Victory Lap, Lyra Heartstrings, Golden Harvest, Applejack, Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom, Granny Smith, Full Steam, Babs Seed, Cherry Jubilee, Echo Chamber, Pinkie Pie, Maud Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Princess Twilight Sparkle were all in attendance. Braeburn saw the platoon of ponies that had followed the cart from Ponyville all the way to Appleoosa.

Braeburn choked back tears and spoke, "Thank y'all for coming all this way. That was mighty kind of you."

The crowd remained silent. They pulled the cart around and went into the orchard. They stopped in a small clearing. They were on a hill overlooking the rest of the orchard.

There was a plot set for Rotten Core. The headstone was in the shape of an apple. They stopped the cart beside the hole he would be lowered into.

Braeburn finally addressed the funeral attendees, "We have gathered here to honor and remember the life of my troubled cousin, Rotten Core. Some of you may have known him as a troublemaker, but that wasn't the Rotten Core I knew. The Rotten Core I knew was very quiet and reserved, he was a bit of a recluse, but he would always go out of his way to check in on me. Even though he was extended family, I considered him a brother. Best Luna damned friend I ever had, I still can't believe he's gone. I don't know if he can hear me sayin' any of this, but thank you for always being there and I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye before you passed on."

The crowd remained silent, they looked on with somber expressions as Braeburn eulogized. He decided to open the floor for the other attendees, "Would anypony else like to share anything?"

Quick Draw took a deep breath and stood up. He had a promise to keep, he told Rotten Core on the train that he would share a few words at the service and he meant it. He rose and moved to the front, facing the other attendants.

Quick Draw took another deep breath and spoke, "I met Rotten Core under rather unusual circumstances. The guy had never been on a train, yet there he was collecting the tickets like a conductor. He was good at it too, I think if he was still here, he would have enjoyed doing that for a living. I wanted to share a story from this train ride that I often look back on."

He paused, collecting his thoughts. He had begun to tear up and he had trouble keeping himself composed. He sniffled, "I'm sorry. One moment."

He regained his composure and continued, "The train had rolled up to the station in Baltimare. There was a reporter named Ink Well who was writing a story about the robbery in Dodge City. Come to found, it was Rotten Core's parents, Bad Apple and Spoiled Bunch, who committed this crime. Ink Well asked Rotten Core what he knew about it. He then twisted it to make up a new story that the train was being held hostage, since Rotten Core spent a lot of time up front with Full Steam. Well, that was obviously not true and Victory Lap noticed this. He and I attacked that guy and cleared Rotten Core's name. He was very appreciative and we became fast friends. I didn't know the guy long, but his eagerness to better himself and make up for his past wrongs definitely left a lasting impression on me. I also considered him to be extremely bold for getting on a train as sick as he was. Goodbye, Rotten Core, I appreciate you making the train ride fun for us, buddy."

He went and sat back down. Braeburn smiled, "Thank you for sharing that with us. Would anypony else like to share anything?"

True Grit rose, "I reckon I'll say a few words."

He made his way to the front. He spoke, "I also met Rotten Core on the train. Thought he was a weird little fella, but he was real friendly. I admired his sense of humor. He was still laughing and cracking jokes even though the cold embrace of death loomed over him. While he was on that train, you never woulda guessed he was sick unless he told you. I will always admire the dignity and honor he faced his death with. I honestly don't think I will be able to do the when my time comes. That's all I gotta say. Rest easy, RC."

True Grit went and sat back down. Braeburn thanked him and looked around to see who else wanted to share. Applejack finally stood and trotted to the front.

"I misunderstood you, RC, I really did. You explained your reasoning behind the things you did and it all makes sense now. I didn't find it funny at the time, I always thought you were just an annoying troublemaker. I disregarded you as a nuisance, like a pest. That was wrong of me. Those few days you spent with us before you passed away were some of the most fun I've had in a long time. I truly wish you the best. I wish you were still with us, RC. Apples to the core, sugarcube, we love you."

She started getting misty eyed and went to sit back down before she started crying. Big Mac and Granny Smith were there to console her. Apple Bloom hugged her and Babs Seed stayed close by as well.

Nopony else had anything to say. Braeburn called the pallbearers to help him lower the casket into the grave. Victory Lap, True Grit, Quick Draw, Big Mac, Echo Chamber, and Full Steam rose and went to assist Braeburn in moving it. It wasn't heavy, but it was quicker and easier to move the casket with all of them carrying it. They held the casket over the hole in the ground. This was the Princess's cue. Twilight's horn glowed and the casket was held in a pink haze. She gently lowered the casket into the plot. Once it was set, Lyra assisted her in covering the hole back up. Quick Draw also used his magic to cover the hole.

With Rotten Core in his final resting place, there was only one thing left to do. Applejack reached into her saddlebag and retrieved an apple seed. The others followed her to the opposite side of the hill. She dug a hole and planted the seed before covering it back up.

"This represents the new life Rotten Core didn't get to live after his shot at redemption. He did the best he could to rectify his mistakes. As this tree grows, we will look up at the top of this hill and we will always be reminded of him."

Epilogue End

Comments ( 16 )

A sad but moving story :fluttercry:

Rest in peace Core. You will always be Number One.

When I saw the title I knew it was either going to be Robbie Rotten or a SpongeBob crossover.

Here’s a little lesson in trickery...

10558123
This is going down in history.. *sniff*

10706505
...if you wanna be *sob* number one...

10707638
You better chase a superhero on the run.. *sobs*

10708201
*outright bawling at this point* Now follow my moves, a-and sneak around.

10708895
*bawls as well* B-Be careful n-not to m-make a s-sound.

This is beautiful.

10996285
Thanks so much for reading.

Login or register to comment