• Published 28th Aug 2018
  • 2,157 Views, 102 Comments

He Was Number One - Acoustic Pulse

  • ...
13
 102
 2,157

Reunion

Author's Note:

The train ride is over.

Rotten Core meets up with the other Apples.

Rotten Core trotted through Ponyville. Ponies around town recognized him and averted their gazes. They would even adjust their path to avoid having to speak to him. It appeared the citizens of Ponyville that were not on the train were not as forgiving as the ones that were.

"There's that stallion who tried to ruin the Apple Family's farm," a voice rang out from somewhere behind him.

Rotten Core looked down. He was part of the Apple Family, why would he have wanted to destroy what his family helped build? That insult hit him surprisingly hard. It burned and echoed in his mind, causing him to feel angry. He looked back to see where the voice came from, "Who said that about me?"

Whoever it was had vanished into a house or a shop, because Rotten Core didn't see anypony. He returned his attention to the road ahead. He was going to visit Applejack again. It had been over a year since he had seen his cousin and he was sure she'd be happy to see him, at least he hoped.


Rotten Core made it to the orchard. A huge sign reading Sweet Apple Acres arched overhead.

It feels strange being back here, he thought.

He looked down the dirt path to see the little farmhouse. He could see his younger cousin, Apple Bloom playing with her friends.

He decided to approach and greet them, "Hello."

Apple Bloom looked up, "ROTTEN CORE!"

She hopped on to his back and wrapped her back legs around his neck, "I missed you, cuzzo!"

When she called him that, it reminded him of Braeburn.

"I missed you too, darlin'. It's so good to see you," Rotten Core smiled.

"Good to see you too, I'm sorry I didn't speak to you when you visited last year. Come on in the house, there's somepony else who would like to see you," Apple Bloom said.

"Who might that be?" Rotten Core asked.

"You'll see," she retorted.

"Do you know where your brother and sister are?" Rotten Core asked.

"They're out there harvestin' apples," Apple Bloom answered.

"Oh okay," he replied, following Apple Bloom into the house.

Granny Smith was in the kitchen, she was in the process of putting a batch of Apple Fritters in the oven. Rotten Core turned the corner and entered. He was shocked by who he saw sitting at the table.

Babs Seed was eating an Apple Cinnamon flavored muffin. She looked toward the sound of the hoofsteps, "RC! Glad you could make it. I got your letter and came as soon as I could. My parents couldn't make it, they wanted to be here for you too."

"It's good to see you," Rotten Core smiled.

Granny Smith turned to see Rotten Core. "Oh, howdy, Rotten Core. I ain't seen you come in."

"Hey, Granny," Rotten Core waved.

"How you holdin' up?" she asked.

"Not so good, Granny Smith. I got 2 weeks left," he broke the news.

Granny Smith looked down, "I never wanna see anypony die young. I figured I'd be gone before any of y'all ever kicked the bucket."

"I'll just have to make due with what I got," Rotten Core sighed.

Granny Smith wrapped him up in a hug, her feeble old back legs shaking. Rotten Core returned the hug, helping her keep her balance.

He heard the front door open and Apple Bloom's voice come from the parlor, "Applejack, Big Mac, you are not going to believe who's here."

"I already spoke to Babs," Applejack raised an eyebrow.

Big Mac said nothing and simply nodded to corroborate what Applejack said.

"No, it's somepony else," Apple Bloom giggled.

Applejack turned to Big Mac, "Were you expecting anypony?"

Big Mac shook his head, "Nope."

Applejack trotted down the hall towards the kitchen, "Then who is it?"

Big Mac followed her, along with Apple Bloom. They entered the kitchen to see Rotten Core sitting with Granny Smith and Babs Seed.

"Rotten Core! I thought I won't ever gon' see you again," Applejack threw her front hooves around him.

"Better late than never, right?" Rotten Core smiled.

"Eeyup," Big Mac nodded.

"Oh, Big Mac. I didn't see you last time I was here. You been doing alright?" Rotten Core greeted him.

"Eeyup," Big Mac replied.

"Happy to hear it," Rotten Core said.

The oven timer beeped. Granny Smith smiled, "My fritters are done!"

"I reckon we were just in time then. Ain't that right, Big Mac?" Applejack chuckled.

"Eeyup," Big Mac agreed.

"That reminds me!" Rotten Core reached into his saddlebag and retrieved the final piece of the apple pie Braeburn baked for him.

"I don't know if it's any good, but Braeburn baked it, I wanted to save you a slice," Rotten Core left it on the table, it was wrapped in foil.

"That was very thoughtful of you, I'll be sure to thank Braeburn next time I see him!" Applejack said.

Granny Smith set the plate of fritters on the table, "Help yourselves!"

"Much obliged, Granny," Apple Boom climbed into a chair to sit with her cousins and siblings.

"You're welcome, dear," Granny Smith smiled.

Rotten Core picked up one of the fritters and extended it toward Applejack, "Want an apple 'fwitter'?"

Applejack couldn't help but laugh, "Y'all ain't never gonna let me live that down."

Rotten Core smirked, "Well, do ya want it or not?"

Applejack shook her head, but took the fritter, "Can't say no to any of Granny Smith's cooking. There ain't nopony in Equestria who can cook as good as her. I'll take that to the Royal Bank in Canterlot."

Granny Smith grinned from ear to ear, "I do my best, young'un. I appreciate the mighty kind words."

"Ain't no problem, Granny," Applejack smiled back.

"Rotten Core, you look well, how is the recovery going?" Apple Bloom asked.

Rotten Core and Babs Seed froze and looked at each other. The sudden question caused him to drop his fritter back onto the plate.

Apple Bloom noticed the sudden negative reaction, "What's wrong?"

Rotten Core looked around at everypony, "Well, I've got good news and bad news."

Applejack winced at that remark, "Oh, no, I know where this is going."

Rotten Core nodded solemnly, looking around at everypony who was sitting with him, "Which do y'all wanna hear first?"

Applejack looked down at her plate, her front hoofs gripping her temples, her hat was covering her eyes, "Let's not delay the inevitable. We might as well hear the bad news first."

Her voice was close to breaking. It hit Rotten Core hard to see her happy and optimistic mood disappear. Everypony else had fallen silent with somber looks on their faces as well.

He breathed a heavy sigh, "I had an appointment. The Appleloosa hospital sent me to Canterlot because their technology was better. The doctor ran an MRI scan. He informed me that the cancer I had visited for was gone. However, there were growths found in my liver and bile duct. They told me it was Stage IV and that cirrhosis was setting in. They gave me a month to live. I spent half that time with Braeburn, so I only have 2 weeks left to live."

There was still silence at the table. Finally, Apple Bloom spoke, "What's the good news?"

Rotten Core smiled, "I'll be spending my last 2 weeks here in Ponyville with you and your family. I wanted to surround myself with the ones I loved, considering my time is very limited."

"We love you too, RC," Babs Seed said. The others smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Applejack, I met a couple of your friends on the train. They were very kind," Rotten remembered.

"Good. I asked them to check on you for me. I wish I could have gone myself, but these apples ain't about to harvest themselves," Applejack gave a hint of a smile, but it faded again.

"It's okay, I understand. I'm just happy to be with my true family. This is where I feel I belong," Rotten Core said, his eyes scanning around the kitchen to make eye contact with everypony in the room.

"Well, we're glad you came by to see us. I wish you could stick around longer than 2 weeks," Applejack sighed.

"So do I. I hate that I have been condemned to death by this incurable illness," Rotten Core concurred.

End of Chapter 10!