• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 2,341 Views, 49 Comments

The Equestrian Royal Guard - Elusive Phoenix



The Equestrian Royal Guard does more than just stand at doors. There is a war outside Equestria.

  • ...
4
 49
 2,341

Friday- 4 days until Day: 1

4 days until Day: 1…


‘Gone to Canterlot!’ I read the sign on the carousel boutique.
‘Guess I don’t have to stand still for six hours! Oh, how I am so disappointed!’ I thought sarcastically. ‘I guess I can go do stuff with Fluttershy today.’ I stretched my wings and took off, heading for the edge of the Everfree forest.


I knocked on the wooden door to the animal care center, also known as: Fluttershy’s house, and heard a loud squeak of fear.

“Fluttershy, it’s me!”

A few seconds passed before the door opened slightly, revealing the eye of a pony, “Rainbow Dash?” the door opened to its full capacity, “Sorry, you scared me! Umm, would you, um, like to, uh, come in? If-if that’s okay with you.”

I laughed (More of a chuckle) at her politeness, “Sure, why not?” I entered the cottage and looked around at all of the animals. ‘Yep… they’re animals…’ I spotted Tank in the corner.

“Umm, do you, umm, need help with something?”

“Oh, uh, yeah! What were you doing when I knocked?” I asked her.

“Oh, uh, actually, I was just about to go for a walk! If-if that’s okay with you…”

“Oh, cool! Mind if I join you?” This took Fluttershy by surprise.

“Oh, umm, yes, umm, sure! I-I just didn’t know you were into that kind of thing!”

“Not really, but I’m gonna give it a chance.”

“Oh, umm, okay. Let’s go!” And so, we exited the Ponyville Animal Care Center.


It was fun.

Just… walking.

Taking in the scenery from the ground instead of the sky, and talking to a good friend.

“Fluttershy, I realized that, even though I’ve known you since I was little, I know barely anything about you.” I stated.

“Like what?” She asked.

“Well, for instance, I don’t know anything about your parents, or if you had any siblings?”

“Oh, um… my mother… went insane and was arrested for…” she gulped, “murder… and died of old age in prison… and my dad… left one day… he said he’d come back… but he didn’t…”

“I’m sorry, I… I didn’t know…”

“It’s okay… it… feels good talking about it…”

“Any brothers or sisters?”

“I had a brother… we lost communication after I moved out…”

“What was his name?”

“Terrain Shiner.”

“Did you two get along well?”

“Well, not like Twilight and Shining Armor do, but we still enjoyed each other’s company.”

“Tell you what, when I get into the guard, I’ll look for any information concerning him, or his whereabouts.”

“Oh, thank you Rainbow Dash, that would be wonderful!” She leaned in and hugged me.

“No prob, Flutters!” She pulled away from me, tears in her eyes.

“What about you?”

“My mom passed away about three years ago, and I never knew my father.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright. From what I heard from my mom, my dad was a jerk. As for brothers and sisters, I would have had a sister but she… she didn’t survive birth…”

“Oh…”

“Yeah…”

“Umm… what made you want to become a Wonderbolt?”

“Well, I saw a show when I was a kid, and then I got my cutie mark… guess it just stuck with me…” Actually having to think about why I wanted to join the Wonderbolts, I realized the one reason I wanted to join them: I wanted to be fast.

‘But I could do that any time I wanted! I get paid enough to survive here! I’m already famous for being an Element of Harmony! I don’t need more fame than I already have! Man, just joining the guard has made me realize a lot of things!’

“So, umm, what were your mom’s name?” Fluttershy asked me.

“Her name was Firefly. She was famous for her flexibility and speed, not in flight, because she was born with her wings missing their primary feathers.”

“Wow…”

“How about your parents’ names?” I asked.

“My mother was Posey, and my dad’s name was Cloudsplitter.”

“Interesting…”

We reached the center of Ponyville.

“Hey,” I asked, “We’re near Sugarcube Corner. Want a snack?”

“Oh, um, sure, I-I guess.”

“Alright! It’s on me!”


“Hey, Fluttershy?” I said through a mouthful of cupcake.

“Yes?”

“So, I know you’re just an animal doctor, but what do you know about doctoring ponies?”

“Oh, umm… I guess about as much as I know about animals.”

“Really? That’s quite a bit!”

“Well, I mean, most wounds are pretty much the same on most creatures, so a pony isn’t much different.”

“Because I was thinking,” I swallowed the bite of cupcake, “You could volunteer to be a nurse for the guard! I bet they could use a pony like you!” Fluttershy shied slightly.

“I don’t know… what if I fail?”

“I know you’d be able to do it! You’d be the best nurse they have!” Fluttershy blushed at the compliment.

“I still don’t know… I don’t think I know enough about medical experience to do it! And I don’t think I’d be able to do anything under so much pressure! I’m sorry Rainbow, but I don’t think so.”

“Alright. I’m just saying, they could use you!” I finished off my cupcake.

“Come on, let’s head back through the park.” I left the required bits and followed Fluttershy out the door…

We walked through the park, sky turning orange from the setting sun.

“Hey Rainbow, see that cloud?” Fluttershy pointed to a nearby small cloud.

“Yeah, what about it?”

“I bet you can’t make it look like an alligator!” she challenged.

“Challenge accepted.” I dashed up to the cloud and began carving the shape of a large reptile into it.

As I finished, I came down a bit too fast, and smacked my right hind leg on a tree branch, and I felt a huge surge of pain shoot up my leg. “Agh!” I hit the ground on my back, having used reflexes to grab my leg, and knocked the breath out of me.

“Rainbow!” I made out the voice of Fluttershy, very disoriented, “Rainbow, breath out and hold it for about three seconds, then breath out, hold it for three seconds, out… in…” She guided me through regaining my breath, “out… in… out…”

When I could breath, I sat up, then immediately grabbed my leg in reflex as it sent pain through me once again.

“Let me look at your leg.” Fluttershy said, and tried to pry my hooves away. “Let me look!” she snapped. I did as told, and moved my hooves away from the injured leg. Fluttershy examined the leg for a good ten seconds before turning to me, “It looks as though you’ve cut and dislocated your leg. Sit here for a minute.” She backed away and galloped to a nearby bush, and I replaced my hooves on my leg.

‘What happened? All I remember is coming back down, then my leg just snapped!’

Fluttershy returned with some leaves and vines, and wrapped it around my cut. She looked me in the eye, “I need to put your leg back in place, so this will hurt a bit, okay?”

I nodded and lay back. ‘Fluttershy is gentle, so this shouldn’t hurt that-’ “AAGH!” I screamed, tears coming out of my eyes.

“There, you should be able to stand in a couple of minutes, then we need to get you to a hospital for proper care.” Fluttershy said to me. I laid there, groaning on the ground, for about five minutes before I made myself stand.

“Hold on. Let’s get you to a doctor, or at least somewhere where I’ll have proper medical supplies.”

I nodded, and unfurled my wings, only to fold the left one again.

“It seems that you landed on your wing… it’s only bruised, so it’ll heal soon. We’ll walk to the hospital, it’s not that far.”

I took my place at Fluttershy’s side for support, and we began our trek to the hospital.



As we reached the town, we were next to Twilight’s library.

“Perfect! Twilight must have a first aid kit somewhere in there!” Fluttershy led me to the library and knocked.

The door opened and Twilight stood in the gap.

“Oh, hey Rainbow! Hey Fluttershy! Can I help-” She stopped when she saw the bloody leaves wrapped around my leg, “What happened?”

“Do you have a first aid kit?” Fluttershy asked briskly.

“Uh, yeah, come inside and take a seat on the couch.”

We entered the room as Twilight hurried off to get the kit. I laid myself out on the couch on the opposite side of the room.

“Fluttershy,” I said.

“Yes Dash?”

“I thought you said you weren’t very good with injured ponies?”

“I said I can’t do it under pressure.”

“Well that was quite a lot of pressure. Seeing your friend cut a gash and dislocate her leg, then be the only one who can help her, and then you DO help her, and succeed, is not an easy thing to do.”

“I… I guess you’re right.”

“You think you can’t help now? You could save a lot of lives!”

“Well… no! I know I can help!” She hugged me, “I’ll volunteer soon! Thank you Rainbow Dash! I hope I can help as many ponies as you say!”

“No prob, Shy! That’s what I’m here for!” I said as Twilight returned with a first aid kit.

Fluttershy took the kit, opened it, and took out the bandages and… well, bandaged me. I figured it might be useful for when I join the guard to know how to bandage myself, or another pony, properly, so I watched closely.

“So,” Twilight started, “What happened?”

“I took an arrow to the knee.”

“What?”

“Inside joke.”

“Right... so what happened?” She turned to Fluttershy, who now had glasses for some reason.

“She flew down too fast and hit her leg on a tree branch, dislocating it, and opening a gash, which I just bandaged properly, thanks to you.”

“Oh, well, glad I could help!” Twilight cheered.

“And thank you!” Fluttershy turned back to me, “Your wing should be alright by tomorrow morning as long as you don’t sleep on it, but you should probably leave it alone until Sunday. As for your leg, stay off of it until Sunday too, and it should be fine.”

“Thanks Fluttershy, but where am I gonna sleep if I can’t fly to my house?”

“Oh,” Twilight began, “You can stay here until you’re better!”

“Thanks, Twilight, I appreciate it!”

“No problem!”

“And thank you, Fluttershy,” I turned to her, “For fixing my leg.”

“You’re welcome! I’m going to go home now. If-if that’s okay with you?” She replied.

“It’s fine. Go home before it’s too dark to see.” I said.

Fluttershy said her thanks to Twilight for the kit and for letting me stay there, then stepped out the door.

‘Oh!’ “Fluttershy, wait!” I called.

“Yes?” She stepped back in to look at me.

“I really appreciate what you did, and what you’re doing.” She smiled.

*Click*. Picture taken.

“You’re welcome, and I know that it’s the right choice.”

And with that, she left the room.

‘Now I have to convince Twilight to let Pinkie hang out with me in her house tomorrow…’