• Published 26th Aug 2018
  • 635 Views, 7 Comments

Midnight Star: Recovery - Nebula Star



After the first real battle in centuries, Equestria is given a chance to recover.

  • ...
0
 7
 635

Chapter 1: Wind Chill

Midnight Star: Recovery
By Nebula Star

Wind Chill
***

Silence.

Not a sound could be heard throughout the canyon. Only a few hours had passed since the canyon had been filled with the chaos of war. Only a few hours since the battle had come to a sudden end with everypony fearing for their lives. Now the only ponies moving through the canyon did so in silence; holding back their tears of grief as they went about the grim task of searching for survivors. Retrieving the dead would come later, when they were sure that all survivors were accounted for.

Unseen in the dim light of the late evening, a single windigo returned to the battlefield. What drew it back, none could say. Perhaps it was seeking more of the feast of strife and hatred that the battle had provided; or perhaps something else was calling it. Perhaps it was even loyalty to its trainer that had drawn it back to where it had last seen them. Whatever the reason, the windigo didn't find what it was looking for.

The only emotions now were sadness and grief, both of which came from the love of ones lost and were not emotions born of hatred. The only ponies moving about the battlefield were warm and full of love; certainly not the windigo's trainer. And if something had called the Windigo there, it didn't seem to know who or why.

In silence the spirit beast wandered aimlessly among the dead, not knowing what to do now that its master was gone.

Then it felt something.

Something that made it afraid.

It tried to run, but it was already too late; it was already caught by the strange magic. It wasn't any known spell, nor did it have any structure or form. It was savage, instinctual magic; magic of one desperate to survive.

It tore at the windigo; clawing at it's very being. The windigo let out a cry of pain and fear as it felt its magic, its life force, being torn away by the strange magic. Desperately it tried to pull away, tried to escape the magic's grasp, but it was a fight it could not win. Even as the echos of its cry faded from the canyon, the windigo's magic and life force were torn from its being and it burst into a fine mist that slowly drifted away, dispersed by the gentle breeze.

~~~

“What was that?” Evergreen gasped looking out over the battlefield trying to locate the source of the sound. An earth pony; she'd been in one of the few reserves that hadn't fought in the battle and so had volunteered to help search for survivors.

The pegasus lieutenant in charge of her search party looked toward the sound as well seeming worried. “That sounded like a windigo,” he said and the circlet he wore glowed with magic as he drew his crystal sword, one of the hundreds that Midnight Star had made for the pegasi during the battle. “This way,” he ordered, leading the group toward the sound.

They were making their way across the canyon behind the first defensive wall. Most of the dead here were ice unicorns as the majority of the Equestrians had managed to retreat after the landslides had broken the forward defense. Even so, Evergreen felt herself shivering as she looked out over the dead. They were approaching a group of fallen ice unicorns, most of them missing limbs or heads, wounds clearly inflicted by a sword. But a few seemed almost untouched, except that their necks were bending further than they should.

Evergreen shivered again seeing the violence.

“Hmm, no sign of whatever made that sound,” the lieutenant said softly but kept his sword at the ready, just in case.

Evergreen and the rest of the group began to spread out searching through the area for any signs of life. It didn't matter if they were Equestrian or ice unicorns, their orders were to save any that still lived. With Equestrian's the first way to tell if they may be alive was with a simple touch. The dead wouldn't have retained body heat this long. With the ice unicorns it was a bit more difficult. Evergreen however, had always been able to sense when life was present. Part of her earth pony magic, she supposed.

So when she came across an ice unicorn mare with a broken horn among the dead, she immediately knew that she wasn’t dead.

“This one's alive!” She called out quickly crouching down by the mare to examine her condition. It didn't seem all that bad to her; other than the broken horn, her only other wound was a large lump on the side of her head where it looked like she'd been kicked or punched. Either way it was in the shape of a hoof.

The lieutenant and a couple others soon joined her.

“Broken horn, and severe head trauma, likely a concussion,” their group's nurse said as she looked over the ice unicorn. “She's not in good shape; this needs to be treated immediately. I don't have the supplies here.”

The lieutenant nodded. “You two,” he said gesturing to two of the group's unicorns. “Transport her to the medical tents.”

They nodded and together levitated the ice unicorn and headed back up the canyon, the group's nurse leading the way.

Evergreen watched them go. Though she was an ice unicorn, Evergreen hoped the poor mare would be alright. The war had caused more than enough suffering already.

~~~

A crash shattered the silence of one of the longest halls of the Dodge City hospital. Sergeant Blazewing didn't hesitate, throwing the door open, he dashed into the room where the sound had come from.

“Sergeant! Help me restrain her, she's going to hurt herself!” The nurse cried trying to hold down the patient as she thrashed, trying to get loose. She had been tied down to the bed, but the bindings weren't meant to restrain her, just prevent her from accidentally falling off the bed; they still allowed her quite a bit of free movement.

Seeing the nurse was right, Blazewing leaped forward with a beat of his red-orange wings. He caught both the ice unicorn's fore-hooves and pinned them down at her sides while the nurse moved to restrain her hind legs. Absently, he noticed that he felt no warmth from her hooves. It wasn't that they were cold so much as they seemed to be the same temperature as the room.

“LET GO OF ME!” The ice unicorn cried in outrage.

“Ma'am, please calm down.” Blazewing said as he held her still. “You're in a hospital.”

She paused in her thrashing and looked up at Blazewing, eyes narrowed as if she didn't believe what he was saying. He went on anyway.

“You had a severe head injury and you've been in a coma for almost two weeks.”

“Why am I here!? We're at war!” She exclaimed, though she was at least no longer struggling.

“The war is over,” he told her calmly. “What was left of your army surrendered after Midnight Star took down your general and his guard.”

Her eyes widened. “No, that's impossible! The general's guard defeated your most powerful alicorn, nopony could have beaten them!”

“You were unconscious for the last part of the battle so I understand your disbelief,” he told her. “But believe me when I say, you and the rest of your army that survive are lucky to be alive. From what I heard, Midnight Star lost control and tried to end everything, starting with your army.”

She glared up at him. “That's impossible.”

“I wish it were. What that alicorn did...” He shook his head. “I thought the world was ending. We're all lucky to be alive, frankly.”

He loosened his grip on her a little to see what she'd do. She was still tied down, but she did have some freedom of movement. “Now so long as you don't give the nurse more trouble, I'll let go.”

She just continued to glare up at him as he slowly released her fore-hooves. The nurse released her hind legs as well.

“Where are we?” She asked finally.

“Like I said, this is a hospital. The Dodge City hospital to be exact. You were brought here for treatment when you were found comatose after the battle.”

She looked him over noting his armor and looking almost disgusted at the sight of his wings. “You're not a doctor.”

“No, I'm Sergeant Blazewing of the Dodge City guard. I've been assigned to watch over you while you're here.”

“So I am a prisoner then,” she stated coldly.

“Well, yes technically,” he told her, partially because he wasn't too sure himself. “I am here to keep an eye on you and make sure you don't cause any trouble. But I'm also here for your protection.”

She looked up at him seeming confused and angry. “My protection? Why in Tartarus would anypony here want to protect me?”

“I told you; what was left of your army surrendered, but there are plenty of ponies who don't believe you deserve any mercy. You've all been placed under the protection of the crown until things cool down.”

“That shouldn't take long, you Equestrian's are good at forgetting...” She muttered. Blazewing wasn't sure how to reply to that, not that she gave him a chance. “So how long am I stuck here?” She asked.

“I'm afraid I don't know that answer. You were in severe condition when you were brought in; the doctors may want to keep you here for some time, just to be safe.”

“I alerted Doctor Scalpel when you woke. He's been in charge of your case and will be here shortly to tell you more,” The nurse offered hoping to help her relax.

She just frowned then finally laid back in the bed, glaring up at the ceiling. Blazewing watched her for a moment then shook his head. “You want me to take those bindings off? We only tied you down because we were concerned you may hurt yourself if you woke suddenly.”

“I thought I was your prisoner?” She said sounding confused.

He smirked. “Yeah, well, technically. In any case I'm stationed right out your door and considering you just woke from a coma, I doubt you're really feeling up to causing any real trouble, especially without your horn. Sure you might try to just run away, but we're on the second floor, so I doubt you want to go jumping out the window, and like I said, I'm stationed right outside the door.”

She looked at him seeming to consider what he was saying, then glanced toward the window to confirm that, yes, they were on the second floor and jumping out the window would likely result in a sprained ankle at the very least.

He smiled. “You may be our prisoner, but that doesn't mean we can't allow you to at least be comfortable. So do you want me to take off those bindings?”

She hesitated a moment more, then simply held up one fore-hoof toward him as far as she could lift it. He understood and went to work undoing the bindings. “So, what's your name?” He asked conversationally while he worked.

She just looked away seeming unwilling to answer.

He snorted. “You may be here some time; I'm willing to bet 'hey you' will get old pretty quick.”

She let out a snort but still didn't answer.

Blazewing sighed and started undoing the binding on one of her hind legs.

“Tundra,” She spoke up finally. “My name is Tundra Blossom.”

He smiled. “Well I'm glad to meet you, Blossom.”

“Tundra Blossom!” She corrected sharply.

“Blossom is easier.” He said with a shrug undoing the binding on her other leg. She glared at him a few moments more, then just turned away again as he finished undoing her bindings.

The hospital room was silent for a time after that.

The silence was only broken when the door opened and Doctor Scalpel entered the room carrying a clipboard and quill in his magic. “Ah, finally awake, we were getting worried.” He said in a kindly tone.

“I'm supposed to believe that?” Tundra Blossom asked bitterly.

The doctor didn't let her tone phase him. “Every doctor worries about their patients, no matter where they're from.” He told her calmly, she just snorted in response. “Now, I'm Doctor Scalpel and I've been in charge of your case since you were brought in, miss...”

“Tundra Blossom,” she provided grudgingly, knowing that Blazewing would if she didn't.

Doctor Scalpel took a moment to write it down. “Miss Tundra Blossom, then. To update you on your condition; you were brought here the day after the battle. You suffered a snapped off horn, judging by the break, I'd say it was caused by a blunt impact, in which case you’re lucky it broke as cleanly as it did and didn't splinter. As it is, your horn should regrow fully in about seven months’ time. Though you may be able to, I would recommend not attempting any magic until at least six months.

“In addition, you suffered severe blunt force trauma just below your right ear, which was likely the injury that rendered you unconscious.”

As the doctor spoke, Tundra Blossom raised her hoof, first to her broken horn then to the side of her head wincing as if remembering the blows that had caused her injuries.

“You were found after the battle having lain in the cold on the battlefield with a concussion for several hours. With all that in addition to your previous condition, to be honest, we weren't sure you'd make it when you were brought here.”

“What do you mean; 'Previous condition'? I was in perfect health before the battle.” She asked, seeming to think he was making something up.

He gave her an appraising look. “I take it you weren't aware then.”

“Of what?”

Doctor Scalpel set his clipboard down on the bedside table and regarded her seriously. “Miss Tundra Blossom, you're pregnant.”

For a few moments she just stared at the doctor, blinking. Then her eyes narrowed into a furious glare that she split between the doctor and Blazewing. “Which one of you bastards did this to me!” She shouted accusingly.

Doctor Scalpel snorted in amusement at her reaction. “Considering you were more than a month and a half in at the time of the battle, I highly doubt anypony in Equestria is responsible.”

“THAT'S...” She started furiously but then froze seeming to remember something. “Alright, maybe it is possible...” She muttered finally.

Blazewing couldn't help laughing at that, earning a glare from her.

“Is it safe to assume then that you don't wish to contact the father then?”

“He's probably dead anyway.” She muttered, though she didn't seem too concerned.

“In any case, due to the trauma you went through, as well as some oddities we picked up in our magical scans, we're concerned about possible complications. We'd like to keep you here under observation for the duration of the pregnancy.”

She turned her glare on him. “And if I don't want to stay here?”

The doctor sighed. “Then we will have to release you into royal custody, and you will be sent to the settlement that is being built in western Equestria for your people. I understand most are living in tents until they can build homes for themselves, of course in your condition, I doubt you could handle the work.

“We can't keep you here against your will. But honestly, if you refuse our help, I'd be appalled that you'd care so little about your daughter.”

She blinked. “Daughter? How could you possibly know it's a filly already?”

“I've had to perform numerous medical scans while you were comatose, and your pregnancy is far enough along for the sex of the foal to be determined,” he explained.

She seemed surprised by that. Blazewing watched her for a moment as she seemed to consider her options. It was entirely possible that Equestria's medical techniques were more advanced than her homeland's, and she was likely taking that into consideration.

Finally, she sighed. “Alright, I'll stay.”

“A good choice,” the doctor told her smiling. “Now that you're awake, I'll make arrangements to have you moved to one of our long term recovery rooms so you can be more comfortable.”

She nodded absently.

“In the meantime, if you need anything, there's a button there on the side of the bed to call a nurse,” he told her. “And I'll be checking in on you regularly as well.”

With that he bid her good day, and left the room.

For a time, the room was Silent. Blazewing stayed by the door while the nurse checked to make sure all the sensors connected to the medical equipment were still properly attached. Tundra Blossom just laid there, staring up at the ceiling. Eventually the nurse finished her work and left as well, leaving just Blazewing in the room with the ice unicorn. He was just about to step out as well when she finally spoke again.

“What did he mean, about my people building a settlement in Equestria?”

Blazewing looked over at her, a little surprised by the question but he understood her curiosity. “After the battle, when what was left of your army surrendered, the princesses made them an offer. Rather than putting them in prison camps, they were given land north of Las Pegasus and supplies to build a home for themselves there. They're under guard, and confined to those lands, but otherwise they're free to live as they wish. I understand that in time, if they prove that they can live peacefully and not cause trouble, they even have the possibility of becoming Equestrian citizens.”

She looked over at him in shock. “But... we're your enemy! Why would your princesses offer such a thing!?”

He smiled. “Our princesses are nothing if not forgiving. And all of Equestria strives to live up to their example. Nopony is perfect, but we try to be the best we can be. That's why Equestria is the land of harmony.”

She stared at him a few moments more, before finally looking away again without another word.

~~~

“What happened to you?” Blazewing asked the nocturne mare on duty outside Tundra Blossom's recovery room the next morning when he arrived. Her helmet was off and she was holding a bloodied cloth to her snout. Past the cloth he could see that the area around her right eye was puffy and swollen.

“I went in to introduce myself,” Whisper Song grumbled. “Apparently she's never seen a Nocturne up close before.”

Blazewing snorted as he tried to hold back his laughter. “I take it; it didn't go well?”

She just glared at him.

He laughed. “Well, maybe it will go better with me here to introduce you,” he offered, and went to open the door to the recovery room.

Tundra Blossom looked up startled as he entered and for a moment looked like she was about to make a grab for something to throw when recognition crossed her face. “Oh, it's you...”

“Good morning. You seem a bit jumpy today.”

She glowered at him. “You would be too if you woke up to find some monster-pony in your room!”

“I'm not a monster!” Whisper objected.

Tundra Blossom looked past Blazewing to see the nocturne mare and her eyes widened again.

“Relax, Blossom,” Blazewing intervened, stepping between them before she could grab for something to throw. “Whisper Song isn't a monster. She's a nocturne.”

“What in the frozen hells is a nocturne?”

“Well, basically they're a tribe of nocturnal pegasi. Their wings and eyes are adapted to night-time living,” he explained as Whisper took a hesitant step into the room so that Tundra Blossom could see her.

“And the fangs!?” the ice unicorn demanded. As far as she was concerned fangs were something only predator's, flesh eaters, had.

Whisper just shrugged. “We love fruit, and many of our favorites have thick rinds. Our fangs help us get through the rinds to get to the juices within.”

Tundra Blossom glared at her suspiciously a few moments more. “I guess...” she conceded finally, though it was clear she still wasn't comfortable with the fanged pony. “Why were you in my room?”

Whisper rolled her eyes. “I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a member of the night-guard here in Dodge and I've been assigned to the night shift, watching over you. You know, so you're still protected while Blaze here gets his beauty sleep.”

“You mean to make sure I don't escape.”

Whisper snorted. “I'm not really worried about that. Yes, it's part of the assignment, but honestly, a pregnant unicorn mare alone in an unknown country with a broken horn. How far do you really think you'd get if you tried to run? Even if nopony went after you?”

Tundra Blossom glared at her a moment, but eventually looked away without a word.

“Anyway, like Blazewing said, my name is Whisper Song. I'll be here every night after Blazewing leaves. I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from throwing things at me from now on.”

She didn't respond. After a few moments of silence Blazewing sighed, and, with a shrug, Whisper Song left.

“You know; everypony here is trying to help you. You've received some of the best medical care Equestria has to offer, you're staying in a comfortable room instead of a prison camp, and you have day and night guards to make sure nopony that might hold some resentment towards ice unicorns can cause you any trouble. What's more, both Whisper and I volunteered for the assignment. The least you could do is show some appreciation,” Blazewing told her then stepped outside and shut the door; leaving her to think on his words.

~~~

Tundra Blossom looked up as the door opened and blinked in surprise as Whisper Song stepped into the recovery room. “Evening,” Whisper said in greeting.

“What are you doing here?” Tundra demanded. It was barely after six and Whisper usually didn't show up until nearly nine. She'd long since gotten use to the nocturne in the months since they'd first met.

“Didn't Blazewing tell you? He had to take off early tonight, his sister is graduating from the guard academy tomorrow in Canterlot and he had to catch a train this evening to make it in time. Iron Hoof is going to be here tomorrow covering the day shift.” Whisper explained.

Tundra thought about it a moment. “Hmm. Whatever...” She muttered remembering Blazewing mentioning something like that. As usual he'd spent most of the day in her room, telling her about everything from recent events in Equestria to his rather large family and their exploits, as well as trying to coax her into talking.

“Anyway... I'll be outside if you need anything, or you can use the bell-call to call the nurse if you think something is wrong,” Whisper told her, knowing it would be futile to try and talk to her. Or it would have been, but lately there had been something on her mind that she could stop wondering about.

“Can I ask you something?” Tundra asked quickly before the nocturne could leave.

Whisper turned back, looking surprised. Even though they'd been on fairly good terms, this was the first time Tundra had willingly started a conversation. “Sure.”

“Why are you a guard?”

Whisper blinked. “What do you mean?”

“Whisper Song doesn't really sound like a guardmare's name,” she elaborated. “And I saw your mark...”

Whisper glanced back at her cutie mark; two wavy lines with three musical notes looking almost as if they were being carried by a gentle breeze. “Yeah, I guess that's true; my special talent really doesn't have anything to do with being a guard.”

“So why are you then?”

Whisper stepped back into the room, closing the door behind her. “Has Blaze told you much about Nocturne?”

“Not really,” she said, shaking her head.

Whisper sighed. “We're more alike than you may realize. When I was a filly, my kind, the nocturne, we were hated and feared throughout Equestria. My family lived in hiding; rarely interacting with other ponies. The town we lived near was a small, quiet town. Friendly enough, I guess. Most the townsponies would tolerate us at least. At first anyway.

“My parents just wanted for me to have a normal life, so they enrolled me in school with the other foals my age... The first day I was to attend, my parents walked me to the school only to find a mob waiting to drive us out of town. They would tolerate us nearby... but they didn't want a little monster like me going to school with their foals.”

Tundra Blossom winced, remembering her own reaction when they'd first met. Whisper didn't seem to notice though.

“After that, my parents did their best to home school me, but they knew it was futile... I would never be able to live a normal life among other ponies. None of us would.

“Then everything changed...”

“What happened?”

Whisper looked up at her and smiled. “Princess Luna,” she said, her voice filled with wonder and respect. “I was nine years old when she returned. Within a few months we started to notice ponies seemed... more accepting of us. Before long, we came to a town where for the first time, a few ponies actually welcomed us. I was able to start school there; met some foals my own age, even made a few friends.

“I didn't know what had changed then; but I was happy. It wasn't until I was almost fifteen that I found out what had happened. The nocturne, even in ancient times had held Princess Luna in the highest regard and in return were beloved of the princess. When she returned, and found our people so mistreated and despised, she immediately began working to correct the wrongs that we had suffered. She even brought it to the attention of Princess Celestia, and together, they both worked to ensure a better future for the nocturne. But it wouldn't have happened at all, if it weren't for Princess Luna.”

Whisper smiled again, her eyes shining with the gratitude she felt for the princess. “When I found out what had turned my life around, why ponies had suddenly accepted me and my family; I knew right then that I wanted to serve Princess Luna with all my heart. So, I joined the night-guard, and though my special talent had nothing to do with being a guard, I worked hard to be the best guard I could be; to do all I can to repay the Princess for all she did for my kind.”

Tundra stared at her a few moments in silence. Finally, she looked away. “I see...” she said softly, then rolled onto her side facing away from the guardmare. Remembering now how she had reacted to Whisper and now hearing how the mare had suffered she felt... well she didn't know how she felt. She felt something, but it was an emotion she didn't recognize – guilt? Whatever it was, she didn't like it.

“Is there anything else you want to talk about?”

Tundra shook her head, and after a moment she heard hoofsteps leaving the room and the door shut, leaving Tundra to her confused thoughts.

~~~

“Morning,” Blazewing said in greeting as he entered Tundra Blossom's recovery room.

She just glanced at him then turned back to looking out the window as she had been doing when he opened the door.

He sighed and rolled his eyes, even after almost seven months she still refused to be friendly. It wasn't that she wasn't happy. She tried to deny it, but he'd been around her enough to know that deep down, she was glad to be here. Not just here in the hospital where she was being taken care of, but in Equestria in general.

Though it hadn't helped that when her horn had healed enough that she could use magic, the captain of the day guard had demanded she be fitted with a suppressor. She was still a bit bitter about that.

“And how are you today?” He asked, hoping to get a conversation going as he often did.

“Still a prisoner, still stuck in this hospital getting heavier and more uncomfortable every day.” She grumbled.

“Anything I can do to help?”

“Not unless you can speed up time and get this foal out of me.”

He laughed. “I'm afraid not.”

She just glared at him, making it clear she hadn't meant it as a joke.

“But maybe I can help you get up and around for a bit. It will probably make you feel better. Besides, you haven't gotten a whole lot of exercise the past few days.”

She turned away, looking out the window again for a few moments in silence. “Okay,” she said finally to Blazewing's surprise. Normally she waited until the doctors basically ordered her to get some exercise before she'd grudgingly let Blazewing escort her around the hospital courtyard and neighboring gardens.

“Alright then,” he said, stepping forward and offering her a helping hoof as she rolled out of the bed. As far along as she was in her pregnancy, it was starting to get more and more difficult for her to move around on her own.

“So, do you just want to go for a walk around the gardens?”

“Yeah.” She said with a soft sigh, sounding almost resigned.

Blazewing smiled to himself as he started leading the way. He knew she really enjoyed the gardens, even if she didn't want to admit it. Gardening was her talent after all.

It wasn't a long walk and though she was weighed down in the middle, it only took them a few minutes to reach the gardens. As usual Blazewing let Tundra Blossom wander the garden on her own, staying in sight, but giving her space.

She ignored him for the most part, and Blazewing would watch as she admired the various flowers, sometimes leaning close to take in the scent. Every so often, a hint of a smile would start to touch her lips, but whenever that happened she'd quickly scowl and throw him a glare as if to dare him to say anything.

It was a little over an hour later that Blazewing noticed that she seemed to be getting tired. “You ready to head back?” He asked softly, moving to her side.

She sighed heavily and cast one last longing look at the gardens. “Yes,” she said once again sounding resigned.

When they got back to the recovery room, Tundra climbed into bed, trying to get comfortable. Blazewing watched her for a moment as she finally got herself situated and turned to look out the window as she often did. She would often spend hours staring out that window. Blazewing had tried getting her books to read, and other things as well, but she'd refused anything that was purely for entertainment. He'd suggested other hobbies that could be productive, but she'd shown no interest in any of his suggestions.

He sighed, she needed something though. Something to keep her from her constant brooding. He just didn't know what. “If you need anything, I'll be right outside.”

~~~

Tundra looked up as a pot of flowers was set on her bedside table. She looked at Blazewing raising an eyebrow. “What's this?”

“I thought you might like something to brighten up the room. You've been here a few months after all, you've got to be getting tired of the same plain white walls all day long.” He told her with a shrug. “And I figured you'd rather have something you can take care of and continue to grow rather than a vase of flowers that would wilt in a few days’ time.”

She glanced at the potted flowers, they weren't in the best of shape, but it wasn't anything a little time and care couldn't fix. She didn't blame him for not noticing. He was a guard after all; flowers probably all looked the same to him. It was a nice thought, though. She could really use something more to do with her time.

Scowling, she looked away. She'd almost let herself be thankful for the gift! Why couldn't Blazewing just treat her like a prisoner!? Why did he have to be so kind to her?

Blazewing waited a moment then, when it was clear Tundra wasn't going to say more, he turned to leave.

“Thank you...”

He almost didn't believe what he'd heard. Slowly, he looked back over his shoulder and smiled. “You're welcome.”

With that, he left the room.

~~~

Tundra sat in her bed, holding the potted flower in her lap, her eyes ahead, focused on some distant point. She wasn't sure how long she stayed like that, her thoughts were so tangled and confused that the passage of time didn't even register.

“Evening.”

Tundra Blossom jumped at the unexpected greeting; she hadn't even heard the door open.

Whisper Song grinned seeing her reaction. “Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you.”

Tundra stared at her a moment in silence, not seeming to be completely there. Eventually she sighed and looked down at the potted flower in her lap. “It's alright.”

It wasn't the reply Whisper Song had been expecting. She could tell Tundra wasn't her usual self and by the way she kept staring at it, whatever was bothering her seemed to be tied to the potted flower she held. “Where'd you get that?” She asked, curiously.

“Blazewing gave it to me,” Tundra answered softly. “He said he thought it would give me something to do.”

“Oh yeah? That was nice of him,” Whisper said with a smile

“But why? Why is he being so nice to me?”

Whisper just continued to smile. “Well, if you really want my opinion; I think it's because he likes you.”

“Likes me!?” Tundra squeaked in distress.

Whisper Song laughed. “Yeah, silly. I mean, I can't be sure. But considering how much time he spends talking to you and helping you, taking you out to the gardens, and now giving you gifts. None of that is really part of our assignment you know; really he could just stand outside your door all day and never even acknowledge you, if he wanted. I could too for that matter.”

Tundra looked up at her. “Why don't you?”

Whisper smiled. “Because you seemed like you could use a friend.”

“But... we're enemies,” she said weakly.

“No, we're not, Tundra,” Whisper told her gently. “We may have once been; but not now. Don't you think it's about time you accepted that?”

Tundra stared at her a few moments in silence, not knowing what to say, how to respond. Whisper smiled and stepped forward, gently placing a forehoof over hers. “We all just want to help, Tundra. Whether you believe it or not, some of us do genuinely care about you.”

The surprise in Tundra's eyes was clear, as she realized that the nocturne was being completely honest; she truly cared about her and perhaps even considered her a friend.

Whisper gave her fore-hoof a gentle pat. “Like I said though, I can't be certain what Blazewing's feelings are toward you, but it might be worth it to find out, don't you think? He is a pretty nice guy.”

“But... I...” Tundra stammered, not knowing what to say. Blazewing liked her? No, that couldn't be, Whisper Song had to be wrong. How could he possibly have come to like her? She'd never been nice to him; she never even showed the slightest interest... had she?

~~~

“Morning,” Blazewing said in greeting as he stepped into Tundra's room.

She glanced up at him for just a moment, then her eyes narrowed and she turned away, without saying a word.

Blazewing sighed, wondering what he'd done wrong. Things had been going so well, he'd finally started to get through to Tundra. Even gotten her to relax a little. True she'd still been far from friendly, but he'd managed to find a few things she enjoyed, gotten her to smile a few times, and even gotten her to actually participate in a few conversations.

Then about a week ago, she'd suddenly turned cold again. She refused to talk to him, or even listen, she wouldn't ask him for help with anything and refused any offers he made to help her get up and about. He wasn't about to give up, but every attempt he made seemed to only anger her more.

“Is there anything you need?” He asked.

She didn't answer at first and just laid in her bed, staring out the window for a few moments in silence.

“Tundra, you really should get up and walk around a bit. I'll help you down to the gardens if you want.”

She said something then, too softly for Blazewing to hear.

“What was that?”

“Get out.” She repeated angrily.

Blazewing sighed again. “Tundra, did I do something to upset you?”

“Get out!” She shouted, finally turning to glare at him.

“Alright, I'm going; just call if you...” He had to duck as Tundra threw the bedside clock at him. “Tundra! What are...” She tried to grab something else to throw, but lost her balance and started to fall out of the bed. Eyes wide, Blazewing leaped forward to catch her before she could fall. “Careful!”

“Let go of me!” She shouted trying to push him away as he tried to help her back onto the bed, thrashing and kicking, nearly falling again as she did.

“Easy I'm only trying to help!” Blazewing told her as he struggled with her, getting her back up on the bed. She didn't stop fighting him though and Blazewing was forced to pin her down so she wouldn't fall again. “Tundra, stop this! This isn't good for your foal!”

She thrashed, trying to break free of his grip, and threatening to throw herself off the bed again. “Let go!”

“Tundra, I'll leave, just calm down!” She glared up at him, her blue eyes shining with anger and something else, but she didn't stop struggling. A surprisingly strong buck got one of her fore-hooves free and the next instant she wrapped it around his neck. He braced himself, wondering what she would do.

It wasn't what he expected. She pulled him down to her and the next instant their lips met. Blazewing's eyes widened in surprise as she kissed him, and his mind almost completely shut down, only managing to latch on to one simple detail; she was warm. Her lips, her hoof around his neck, her entire body was radiating warmth like a normal pony.

Finally, the kiss came to an end and she loosened her grip on him. Blazewing stayed leaning over her, looking down into her eyes. The anger was gone, without a trace, leaving behind a multitude of other emotions: fear, confusion, hope... slowly he smiled, a gentle, reassuring smile. “Well that was unexpected. But definitely not unwelcome,” he said softly, releasing his hold on her and gently caressing her cheek.

A bit of the fear faded from her eyes at his words. “I... I've never felt this way before,” she whispered.

“It's alright, you don't have to fight it.”

“We're supposed to be enemies.”

Blazewing gave a long suffering laugh. “No we're not. I've been telling you that since the first day you woke up.”

“But I... I don't know what to do.”

“Neither do I really.” He smiled down at her caressing her cheek. “But I definitely want to see where this goes,” he told her softly.

Slowly she smiled, looking up into his eyes and seeing the sincerity of his words. “So would I.”

He leaned down again, and gave her another, more gentle, kiss. Then he smiled. “Can I call you 'Blossom' now?”

She smiled the most genuine smile he'd ever seen from her. “Yes.”

~~~

“Morning, Blossom, Whisper,” Blazewing said as he stepped into the room to find the ice unicorn and nocturne guard seemingly in the middle of a friendly conversation. A lot had changed in the past week since Blossom's breakdown. The room itself was far warmer and more inviting, thanks a great deal to the numerous potted plants giving the once stark hospital room a much homelier feel.

More important however, was the change in the room's primary occupant. Blossom had changed almost completely from the cold reserved pony that she had been. She'd finally given up holding on to the anger and hatred that her people had taught her to cultivate from the time she was a foal and instead let in the happiness and warmth that had been besieging her from every side since she'd awoken in Equestria. She'd had a near constant smile ever since.

“Hey Blaze!” She called happily from the couch she was resting on. Another part of her change was that she was more active, at least for a mare as far along in pregnancy as she was. She was often up and moving around the room now, usually taking care of the many potted plants she'd received after admitting how much she'd liked the first. Blaze had gotten most of them for her, though Whisper had also gotten her a few once Blossom had warmed up to her as well.

“How are you doing today, Blossom?” He asked as he crossed the room and gave her a brief nuzzle, noting the warmth he felt from her as she returned it.

“I'm doing pretty good. It's getting harder to move every day, but that's to be expected.”

“Yeah, I suppose it is...” He took a deep breath and let out a sigh. “Blossom, there's actually something I need to talk to you about. And Whisper, you should probably hear this as well.” He sat down facing Blossom, making sure he had her full attention. He took a deep breath, bracing himself. “It occurred to me, that now that we've started a relationship with each other, that I'm going to have to ask to be reassigned.”

Blossom blinked. “What? Why!?”

He smiled sadly. “It's a conflict of interests. Since part of the assignment is making sure you don't run off, it puts me in a position where I could be tempted to disobey orders to protect you.”

“But I'd never ask you to...!”

“I know, I know. But still, it's the right thing to do.”

Blossom looked up at him, her eyes beginning to shimmer with tears. “But... I...”

Whisper gently stretched a wing around her and gave her a squeeze. “Blaze is right, Blossom. Being friends is one thing, but the two of you are more than just friends. If he doesn't ask to be reassigned and the captain finds out how close you are; he could get in trouble.”

Blossom looked down and sniffed sadly. “But, when will I see you?” She asked softly.

He moved a little closer and put a hoof around her, with his snout just touching hers. “I'll most likely just be reassigned to daily patrols, so I'll have my evening's free. I can come visit you then.” He grinned. “And I won't have to wear this clunky armor,” he said letting his helm clink against her nearly regrown horn.

She gave a weak smile. “But, who will be here the rest of the time?”

He sighed. “I don't know for certain... Possibly Iron Hoof.” Pulling her closer, he nuzzled her neck, affectionately. “It's the right thing to do.”

“I know...” She said, though it was painfully clear that she didn't like it.

~~~

By now Tundra Blossom knew the hospital garden like the back of her hoof, though she still enjoyed walking the paths whenever she could. She’d always enjoyed gardening. Every ice unicorn had something they enjoyed, that they tried to keep secret… Nopony ever succeeded, however, not for long. Not with what they enjoyed emblazoned on their flank. And once what a pony enjoyed was known; the rest of the community would deprive them of it. She’d tried to keep a small garden, hidden inside her home once. It only lasted a month.

But here in Equestria, everything was different. Here ponies were encouraged to do whatever they enjoyed; most made a living doing the things they loved; and nopony would ever try to deny somepony else what they love.

Even so, the garden wasn’t providing her with much enjoyment tonight. She was too worried about something else she’d come to enjoy. Something she was worried she might lose.

“What are we going to do?” She asked softly.

Blazewing looked over at her, walking close by her side. He’d been reassigned, but as he’d promised, he’d come by almost every night after his shift to spend time with her. Being off-duty, he was out of his armor. It had taken her a bit to get used to seeing him without it, but after she did, she’d started to realize just how hansom a stallion he was with his orange coat and golden mane. Even being a Pegasus. “What do you mean?”

Tundra Blossom didn’t answer at first. Instead they continued slowly walking along the garden path. “I don’t want to lose you,” she said at last, almost too quiet to be heard.

“Lose me? What are you talking about, Blossom; I’m not going anywhere.”

“But I am…” She sniffed. “Once I have my foal, they won’t have any reason to keep me here anymore. I’m still a prisoner of war… they’ll have to send me to the settlement with the rest of the ice unicorns.”

Blazewing was speechless. He hadn’t even thought about that. But it was true, the only reason she’d been allowed to stay here was because the doctors were concerned about the health of her and her foal having been in a coma for two weeks early on in her pregnancy. Once her foal was born, if all was well, she’d be released into the custody of the crown, to be sent with the rest of the prisoners from the Frozen Empire. Somehow, he’d completely forgotten.

“We’ll figure something out…” he told her, trying to sound confident.

“But what if we can’t? What if…?”

“Shh…” He nuzzled her neck comfortingly. “We still have time. I’ll look into what options we have. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I’ll just have to go with you.”

She looked up at him sharply. “But this is your home! you have responsibilities! Your position with the guard!”

“I know. I’ll try to find some other way; but if I can’t…” He gave her a smile. “I don’t want to lose you either.”

Tundra Blossom looked at him stunned, then slowly smiled, tears filling her eyes. He smiled in return before leaning in and giving her a kiss.

“We’ll figure something out.” He told her confidently, and she rested her head against his neck as they continued their walk along the garden path.

~~~

Whisper Song stumbled groggily toward her apartment door as a loud knocking repeated itself for the third time since it had wakened her. It was still relatively early in the evening for her to be waking up; she wasn’t on duty for another three hours. The knocking repeated once more by the time she reached the door. She opened it to find a somewhat frantic looking pegasus stallion standing there. She blinked in surprise. “Blazewing, what are you doing here?”

He sighed, sounding relieved. “I need your advice… about Tundra Blossom.”

“My advice? Blaze, you know her better than me…”

“I know… it’s not that… I’ve been looking into how I can keep her from being sent to the ice unicorn colony when she’s released from the hospital.”

Whisper blinked. “I see… why don’t you come on in; I can start getting ready while we talk.”

He blinked then his eyes widened. “Oh ponyfeathers, did I wake you?” He asked sounding sincerely apologetic.

She shrugged. “I usually get up about this time anyway,” she lied, and stepped back, holding the door open to let him in. “Why don’t you sit down and tell me what’s on your mind?” She said, gesturing to one of the cushions she had lying around her living room / dining room / kitchen. Sometimes she wished she’d been posted in one of the major cities where they had cheap housing available specifically for members of the guard. Unfortunately, Dodge wasn’t quite large enough to make that a necessity, and so this small apartment was all she could afford on her nightguard salary.

Blazewing took a seat, seeming ready to explode at a moment’s notice. Whisper thought about offering him something to drink, but she decided it would probably be best to let him talk first. “So, what have you found out?” She asked as she went into her bathroom to grab a brush for her mane. That was something she could easily take care of while they talked. Like many of her own possessions, her brushes were made to be easily manipulated with her wings.

“Not much.” He admitted with a wince. “From what I’ve been able to find out; the only ones with any authority when it comes to prisoners of war is the house of lords or the princesses themselves.” He sighed. “I suppose I could take a petition to the princesses that Tundra be allowed to stay here in Dodge; but there’s no guarantee that they’ll approve. Otherwise; the only other option is if she were to become a citizen. But as a prisoner of war; the only way that could possibly happen is if… well… if I were to marry her.”

Whisper paused in her brushing and looked at him concerned. That hadn’t just been a statement of fact; the way he said it, it was clear that it was an option he was seriously considering. “Blaze?”

“It’s the best option I’ve found to keep her here.”

Whisper dropped her brush and moved directly in front of him. “Blazewing? Do you love her?”

He only had to think for a moment before nodding.

“Do you want to marry her?”

He looked down for a moment, clearly thinking seriously on the matter. Finally, he looked up again, looking her in the eyes. “Yes.” He said confidently.

“Then don’t.” Whisper said firmly. “Not to keep her here.” She clarified when his expression turned shocked. “If you truly love her, and want it to work between you. Then you can’t have something like that hanging over you; or else every time things get hard, any time you get into an argument, that thought will always be there; that you were forced to marry her, that you rushed into it.” She reached out her wing to gently touch his shoulder. “Promise me you won’t do that to yourself. We’ll find another way to keep Tundra Blossom here.”

He sighed heavily but reluctantly nodded.

Whisper smiled reassuringly. “Everything will work out.”

“I still want to ask her to marry me though,” he told her. “We’ll just plan to have the wedding after she has her foal; whether she can stay or not… and if not; we’ll just have to have it at the ice unicorn colony.”

Whisper smiled and nodded. “It’s for the best.”

~~~

Whisper Song was on duty a week later when Blazewing came and asked Tundra if she wanted to go for a walk in the garden. So she was there, some distance away but still within sight when Blazewing knelt in front of Tundra, presenting her with a traditional horn-ring.

Tundra looked surprised and mostly confused at first, but as Blazewing spoke, her surprise turned to shock, and then to pure joy. She threw her hooves around Blazewing; her answer obvious to all that saw as she kissed him again and again. Whisper Song watched with a smile, resolving to do everything in her power to ensure that things would work out for her dear friends.

After all, she had a special line to the princesses; one reserved for the nocturne. And while this wasn’t exactly what it was meant for; she didn’t think the princesses would mind.

~~~

“Have you heard anything about your petition?”

Blazewing sighed, laying by her side, watching while she tended to some of her flowers. Surprisingly she didn’t need her magic to do so; having always preferred to do almost everything by hoof anyway. “No, nothing. For all I know it’s sitting in a pile in the castle mail room waiting for some secretary to decide whether or not it’s worth the princess’s time… I’m starting to think I may have to go to Canterlot in person to plead our case.”

“You mean my case?”

With a smile, he put one hoof around her hugging her to his side. “Our case now. We’re in this together.”

Tundra Blossom felt warmth spreading through her at that smile. They’d discovered that while her body would drop in temperature to match the surrounding environment normally, or when she was filled with negative emotions; when she was happy, her body responded by heating up becoming warm blooded like a normal pony. She liked being warm. “Well if that’s what it takes… I just hope they listen. I don’t want you to have to give up all you have here.”

“I think they’d listen; the princesses are very generous and kind. The question is if their aids will think it’s important enough for the princess’ valuable time…” He said ruefully.

She smiled sadly and nuzzled his neck.



Whisper song sighed. Though the door was closed, her hearing was acute enough to pick up what Blazewing and Tundra Blossom were talking about. And though she usually tried not to listen, their current conversation had caught her attention. She wished she had some good news for them, but her own efforts in that regard had yet to produce any results as well.

Tuning out her friends’ conversation again she leaned back against the wall where she was sitting just outside the door. The Nocturne emergency line she’d used was supposed to be very quick; a direct line to Princess Luna. She’d thought for sure that she’d have received a response by now.

“Are you Guardsmare Whisper Song?”

“Yes…” She answered looking up to see who was asking. When she did, she nearly choked and dropped down into a deep bow.



Blazewing and Tundra Blossom both looked up when there was a knock on the door before it opened a moment later and Whisper song stepped in. She didn’t say anything though, and instead turned back bowing while holding the door open. Then one of the last ponies Blazewing would have ever expected stepped into the room.

“Princess Luna!” Blazewing exclaimed getting to his hooves and bowing respectfully.

“Please, no need to trouble yourself.” Princess Luna said quickly as Tundra Blossom struggled to get up and bow as well. “You must be Sargent Blazewing and Tundra Blossom.”

“Y…yes, your majesty.”

Luna smiled, a kind, gentle smile. “Please, be at ease.”

Blazewing slowly straitened from his bow, still nervous, but then who wouldn’t be when receiving an unexpected visit from royalty. Luna continued to smile though, and Blazewing felt himself relaxing a little more.

“Now, I’ve looked into your situation and know the basics of what is going on. I understand that you wish for Tundra Blossom to be allowed to remain here in Dodge even after she’s released from the hospital.” Luna said calmly.

Blazewing nodded. “Yes, your majesty; though I never expected you to respond in person… I actually was beginning to worry that you hadn’t even seen my petition.”

“I may not have,” Luna told him sparing a glance at Whisper Song who was standing at attention, doing her best to show the utmost respect for the princess. “If it weren’t for a friend of yours sending a second message concerning your request through a more direct line.”

Blazewing looked at Whisper in surprise, and she smiled and gave a quick nod.

“Our aids, had unfortunately filed your petition as unimportant and it would likely have been months before we would have seen it if we ever did at all.” Luna went on. “I intend to speak to them about what they deem priorities when I return,” she sighed.

“We were afraid that might be the case…” Blazewing admitted.

Luna nodded, smiling. “In any case, I would like a chance to speak with Tundra Blossom alone.”

Tundra and Blazwing shared a nervous look, but neither would disobey the princess. “Of course, princess.” Blazewing said and gave Tundra a comforting pat on the shoulder before leaving the room with Whisper Song.

Tundra looked up at the princess nervously. Luna noticed her fear and gave her a reassuring smile. “It’s alright, I simply wish to ask you a few questions.”

She nodded, still nervous, but feeling a little better.

Luna continued to smile reassuringly as she pulled a cushion over and sat down. “First of all, I’d like to hear from you directly; why do you wish to stay here in Dodge?”

Tundra hesitated. “I… I like it here.”

Luna gave her a knowing smile. “It is my understanding that you have not left the hospital grounds, so how can you know that you like it here if you’ve never even seen the city? What’s more, Dodge city was the closest to the battle and so was affected the most of any city in Equestria. As much as I wish it weren’t so; there are likely many here who will resent you, simply for what you are. So why would you wish to remain here?”

Biting her lip, Tundra lowered her eyes “I… I don’t want to leave Blazewing.” She admitted.

“And why is that?”

She swallowed, nervously, then took a deep breath and looked up at Luna. “I love him.”

Luna tilted her head slightly. “You don’t sound entirely sure.”

“I’ve never felt this way about anyone before.” She said honestly.

“But you believe it to be love?”

Tundra nodded.

“So why do you feel that way about Sargent Blazewing?”

“I… I don’t know. I didn’t want to. It just…”

Luna smiled. “There’s nothing wrong with falling in love,” She assured the nervous mare.

“Not here…”

“I am aware of the culture of the frozen empire.” Luna told her. “But I simply wish to know why you feel so strongly for Sergeant Blazewing?”

Thinking back, Tundra took a deep breath before answering. “He wouldn’t give up. No matter how badly I treated him, how much I tried to push him away; he just kept on being nice to me. I think he knew the truth… that I liked the attention he gave me, even if I was afraid to admit it.

“Then he gave me a gift;” she reached out and very gently caressed the leaves of one of the potted plants on a nearby table. “I didn’t know what it meant… I was so confused. I asked Whisper Song about it and she told me she thought it was because he liked me. I suppose that scared me; I really tried to push him away after that, but still he just kept on being kind to me.”

Princess Luna smiled. “So, when did you decide to stop pushing him away?”

“When I realized it would never work.” She said with a wry smile. “And I realized that I didn’t want to. I grew up being taught that I could never have what I wanted; that I could never do what I enjoy. But here, Blazewing has tried to help me do things I enjoy and has given me gifts that he thought I would enjoy almost from the first day I woke… He told me how here in Equestria, everypony is encouraged to make a living doing the things they enjoy most. That you encourage ponies to use their talents.”

She smiled sadly. “I realize now that it was our leaders that wanted us to be miserable, to fill us with hatred to strengthen their pet windigos… I hope the others will come to realize that as well.”

Luna smiled reassuringly. “I think they will, in time. But for now, I’ve heard enough.” She looked toward the door. “Sargent Blazewing, Guardsmare Whisper Song, you may come back in,” she said loudly enough to be heard through the door. A moment later the door opened and Blazewing entered followed by Whisper Song. Blazewing went to Tundra’s side and they exchanged a brief nuzzle as he sat down next to her.

Princess Luna waited until they both looked up at her again before speaking. “As I’m sure you know, after the battle, the other princesses and I offered your people a deal; If you could prove to us that you a willing to live peacefully among us and be a productive member of this nation; then we would grant you citizenship in Equestria.” She smiled warmly. “I don’t think any of us expected it to happen so soon, but in my opinion you have done just that; Tundra Blossom.”

Blossom and Blazewing exchanged hopeful glances as they realized what Princess Luna was saying.

“I hereby decree that the ice unicorn, Tundra Blossom, shall be, from this day forward, a citizen of Equestria; entitle to all the rights and privileges that that entails.” Luna finished with a proud smile, removing the suppressor from her horn as she did.

Tundra Blossom let out a squee and threw her hooves around Blazewing in a crushing hug.

“Congratulations, Tundra Blossom.” Luna said smiling.

“Thank you, Princess Luna! Thank you!” Blossom said happily and turned to Blazewing. “Now we can plan our wedding!”

Princess Luna blinked in surprise. “Wedding?”

Blazewing nodded. “Uh, yes. Tundra and I plan to be married after she’s had her foal. We just didn’t want to make any plans until we were sure she could stay.”

Raising a brow, Luna glanced between them. “You do know that by Equestrian law, that once you’re married, Tundra would have automatically become a citizen of Equestria.”

Tundra’s eyes widened and she looked over at Blazewing, while he just nodded. “I know… I didn’t want that to be the reason we married.”

Whisper Song smiled.

Princess Luna slowly nodded in understanding and smiled as well. “I see.”

Tundra glanced between them confused at first, then understanding came to her eyes and she smiled joyfully. Blazewing smiled back and leaned in for a quick kiss.

“Well, in that case,” Luna cut in. “Then I would ask of you one favor.”

They looked up again. “Of course, Princess! Anything!”

“Allow me to preside over your wedding.”

Their eyes went wide. “We… we would be honored.” Blazewing breathed while Blossom sat next to him, speechless.

“Just send me the time and place once you’ve made your plans.” She glanced at Whisper Song. “On second thought, have Whisper Song send them through the Nocturne network. That way we can bypass my well-meaning aids…” she said with a smirk.

“I can do that.” Whisper Song agreed.

Luna nodded in approval. “Until then, I shall bid thee farewell. Congratulations, Tundra Blossom of Equestria.”

“Thank you, Princess. We’ll send you our plans as soon as we’ve made them.”

Luna nodded in agreement and turned to go. “Gaurdsmare Whisper Song, a word,” she said as she stepped out into the hall.

Nervous at being addressed herself, Whisper followed the princess, shutting the door behind them. “Yes, Princess?”

“For now I’m going to leave guards in place here for Tundra Blossom’s protection. But only until she leaves the hospital. After that, I’m afraid she will be on her own. I would ask, that you keep an eye on them for me, and report directly to me should they have any problems.”

Whisper Song nodded. “Of course, Princess.”

Luna nodded in approval. “Thank you; and also thank you for bringing this to my attention. This has given me hope, that our mercy was not wasted on the ice unicorns.”

~~~

A few weeks later, Blazewing found himself sitting next to a bed which held a thoroughly exhausted Tundra Blossom who was lying, smiling down at the tiny blue and white foal curled against her side, smiling a radiant smile as the filly rested, her coat still damp from birth.

“She’s beautiful.” Blazewing said softly, one hoof placed over Blossoms.

“You’ll be her father; won’t you?”

He smiled. “Of course. I’ll treat her as if she were my own,” he told her, leaning in to give her an affectionate nuzzle.

Blossom smiled, and breathed a tired sigh. For a moment the room was silent as they both watched the filly sleep, content just being together.

“What are you going to name her.” Blazewing asked finally, knowing that the mother would usually have a spark of inspiration concerning their child’s name when they were born.

Blossom smiled looking down at her daughter. She knew just what the filly’s name should be. “Wind Chill,” she said softly. “Her name is Wind Chill.”

Author's Note:

Finally decided to get back to my Midnight Star series. Been way too long.

Though it no seems to be canon now, that a unicorn's horn does not grow back; it was already established in this series that they do, though slowly. And while Tundra Blossom was the focus of this story, it's her daughter that will play a larger part in the future. There's something special about little Wind Chill. There may be a side story about her in the future, but otherwise her next appearance will be in Father of Light as a 17 year old.

Having nearly 5 whole season come out since this series started, there's a lot of canon material that just doesn't fit in with the story of this world. There are a few things that I have incorporated since the Midnight Star series was first planned out, but obviously some things conflict and simply can't be included.