• Published 6th Sep 2018
  • 3,881 Views, 189 Comments

Buggy System - Dedion



Occupant Chrysalis journeys through space after a foiled plan teleports her aboard a United Empire research ship.

  • ...
12
 189
 3,881

Engaging Flux Overdrive

Chrysalis was swept away by the wave of crewmembers and researchers. Each one of them did their best to head for the escape pods. While Chrysalis did not like the idea of running away, this was the only safe solution. In her education, she had come to learn about how flux behaves when used in outer space. Every planet held its own naturally occurring flux field. This flux field inhibits the random nature of flux, allowing users to process and utilize large amounts flux with a low margin of a random outcome.

However, the same to could not be said for outer space use. True, some portions of a ship possessed the capability to handle large amounts of flux energy, but that feature could not be carried to the whole ship. With flux users as well as a variety of flux weaponry, the ship wouldn't be able to filter out the free flux energy in the air fast enough before the flux's natural urge to change took place. If they were lucky, nothing too dangerous would happen. If they weren't fortunate... the best thing Chrysalis could think about was that it would be a quick death. However, she wasn't planning on dying today.

As they rounded a corner, they encountered part of the group that had invaded their ship. Each one of them wore a mix-match of armor over their space suits along with a wide variety of guns. They held up their weapons at the crowd of researchers. Chrysalis and a few others reacted quickly. A multilayered forcefield was placed in the hallway just in time to block the oncoming bullets. One of the intruders tossed a small box-like device towards the field. It landed a few inches away from it before beeping rapidly. It opened into four pieces and released a black aura. The forcefield reacted strangely to the black atmosphere. It shimmered and glitched before vanishing completely. "Great, they have dead-zone generators. Of course, they have those." Chrysalis groaned as a new stream of bullets ripped through way through the crowd.

A new forcefield was put in place only for it to be destroyed as well. The process continued for some time, allowing as many people to escape through the back as possible. However, the process was not going as fast as Chrysalis would have liked. So, she began scanning the ship, looking for the flux signature that she was most familiar with. Once she found it, she reached out to grab the closest few people she could and teleported in a flash of green light.

She and the group teleported landed in front of another group led by Ge-Foli. The gelatinous woman shrieked at the sight of Chrysalis' group popping into existence before her. "Would you be quiet, Ge-Foli! We don't need those intruders to find us!!" scolded Chrysalis, "Now is everyone I teleported alright?" The multitude of groaning researchers and crew members was the only answer she got. She looked at them and was relieved to see that she managed to catch Almira as well, though she didn't show it.

"How did you manage to do a mass teleport like that?" asked Ge-Foli. Chrysalis could feel Ge-Foli's enthusiasm to break through her shells of fear and anxiety. If this were a normal situation, Chrysalis would have been okay with Ge-Foli's researcher side. However, this was not a normal situation. Chrysalis stated that now was not the time for Ge-Foli to be research happy. They needed to find those escape pods. Luckily enough, the escape pods were closer than Chrysalis thought they would be. Within a few minutes, they were able to reach one of the bays that the pods were being held in. Each pod had enough resources for at least three passengers. So the massive group broke up into groups of three and quickly picked a pod. Just as Chrysalis, Almira, and Ge-Foli were about to board their pod, a large beam of flux energy cut through the wall of the bay. The hole it left in its wake was a just a bit bigger than Chrysalis and make it easy for the vacuum of space to suck out all the valuable air from inside the bay. Almira, who was the first to get inside the pod, quickly took hold of Chrysalis. In turn, Chrysalis took hold of Ge-Foli.

The force of the suction pulled in everything it could. A handful of people who had not grabbed onto anything vanished in the blink of an eye. If it were not for Chrysalis, Ge-Foli would have been one of those people. Though, she was not spared completely. She watched in horror as her body began to be sucked in. Piece by piece of her gelatinous form was being pulled away from her. It wouldn't be long before her core would be sucked out. It was here at that Almira began to pull Chrysalis in. When managed to get the changeling in completely, Ge-Foli did her best to move her core against the suction. When she managed to get her core to a less condense part of her body, she detached the rest of her body and let it be sucked out the ship. Chrysalis was easily able to pull the rest of Ge-Foli into the pod before Almira hit a button to close the door on the pod. The trio sighed in relief as the pod ejected itself from the ship and began cruising through space.

Chrysalis picked up Ge-Foli's core and glared at it. "Why didn't you do that at the start?!" she yelled. The orb pulsated a few times. "Teleportation is a draining process that requires me to think about where I'm going! Sorry if I get distracted when I'm about to be sucked out into space!!"

"Quiet, you two! We have bigger problems!!" yelled Almira. Before Chrysalis could say something, the pod shook violently. Almira strained as she did her best to hold up the forcefield around the pod. The pod was bombarded with attacks from their attackers' fighter crafts. It looked as if they were not going to last long in this condition. Their pod was not equipped with the fastest of propulsion systems. They were just a slow-moving target amongst a sea of already destroyed pods. "So, they want to make sure that no-one escapes, huh?" Chrysalis said. She placed Ge-Foli in Almira's lap before she took control of the pod.

"Chrysalis, there is nothing we can do here! We can't..." Chrysalis ignored Almira's worrying. Okdi jumped from Chrysalis' head and plugged itself into the pod's console. Chrysalis closed her eyes as her horn ignited in its emerald hue. When she opened them again, they shined a brilliant white. A field of flux energy erupted from Chrysalis and expanded to cover most of the fighter crafts as well as some of the destroyed pods.

The fighters were frozen in place. Try as they might, no-one could move. Soon they heard metal groaning, a screw unturning, a button popping out of place, and then, almost in an instant, their crafts along with their space suits were torn apart. A swarm of metal and circuitry encircled the lonely pod. The rest of the attackers looked on in terror as their friends struggled for breath in the cold vacuum of space. Soon fear turned to anger, and the attackers rushed in to fire at the field. However, their attacks proved useless. Flux attacks were absorbed into the area. Bullets were blocked by the thick sheets of metal. Missles fared only slightly better than the previous shots. The massive cocoon of metal could not be breached.

Just as the attackers were regrouping for another attack on the cocoon, the field surrounding the cocoon reduced and almost vanished from sight. A web of green cracks webbed their way across the metal cocoon. The attackers took the opportunity to fire all their weaponry at the cracks in hopes to break through. Before they could reach, however, a fighter craft broke out of the cocoon. A beam of emerald flux surrounded it. It destroyed all that it was its path be it artillery fire or fighter craft. Those remaining stared in shock as the flux beam curved upward before coming back down on them.

Chrysalis' manic laugh rang throughout her newly made fighter craft. Having Okdi as a way to unload most of the information was a great idea. With it, she was able to rip apart those pitiful attackers and used their crafts to upgrade the escape pod. The flux she absorbed from the attackers' flux engines fueled her as well as the craft beyond the limits she had known. "Oh, this is brilliant! You have no idea how long I've waited to do something like this!!" the changeling continued to laugh as she plowed her fighter craft through her enemies with ease. Eventually, the enemy crafts realised that they had more on their hands than they bargained for. They all retreated to their main ship. But, Chrysalis was not going to let her prey escape so easily.

Weaving her way through the escaping ships, Chrysalis left barely any at all to return to their mothership. Said mothership primed its weapons and generated a shield to protect itself. The smile on her face grew more extensive, revealing her sharp teeth. Her eyes burned as a thirst for destruction. A green aura emanated from the changeling as she began to maneuver out of the way of the incoming attacks. Almira could only sit in fear at the glowing changeling.

The mothership of the attackers continued to fire at the fighter craft that had destroyed many of its smaller planes. However, the fighter craft was always just a bit ahead of them. Chrysalis took ducked under the massive ship. She morphed the vessel to where its two wings came to a point on each of them. The two-pronged ship them rose to crash into the underside of the ship's shield. With there was a struggle for a moment, Chrysalis' flux soon ate away at the forcefield. It fueled her to go even more and promptly crashed into the underbelly of the ship. She carved her way through the ship before coming out through the top. She curved upward and saw the command deck of the vessel. She straightened out and aimed to ram into it with all the force she had. She could see through into the bridge and saw many run out of it screaming. However, one person remained. They were encased in a white hue uttering words of some sort. Just as Chrysalis was about to hit, her view went white.

Once the white vanished and her vision was cleared, she found that the ship had been teleported away and was now entering the orbit of a planet. Just as she was about to head back and where they were, a sharp pain surged in her head. She fell to the floor unable to do anything. "Massive use of the TSF and the massive usage of personal flux reserves have caused the beginning stages of Rebounding Flux. While you are in the clear for now, treatment is recommended. The craft will now enter autopilot mode," Okdi announced.

"Ah, that's... just great," Chrysalis groaned, "Almira, could you be a dear and fetch me some medical supplies."

"Y-you aren't gonna do what you just did again are you?" she asked. Chrysalis sighed.

"I think I've got it all out of my system," she answered. "Now go get those medical supplies." Almira nervously got up and placed Ge-Foli onto her seat. While she went to go looking for the medical supplies, Chrysalis stared at the glowing core that was Ge-Foli. It pulsated at infrequent times. "I don't need to hear your sass!" Chrysalis yelled. She flinched at the throbbing inside her head grew worse as she did so.