• Published 27th Aug 2018
  • 1,474 Views, 91 Comments

A Queen's Vows - garatheauthor



Princess Twilight Sparkle sits beside her mother's bed, watching as the elderly Queen Celestia passes her final evening. In the morning, she'll be Queen, as events are set in motion that will forever impact her life.

  • ...
16
 91
 1,474

Chapter 1 - A Mother's Death (January 20th, 1936 - January 21st, 1936)

January 20th, 1936 – 5:45 PM
Princess Twilight Sparkle
Canterlot Castle – Celestial Bed Chamber

Two people were on their deathbed tonight. The first, the leader of our nation, a woman whose kindness, dedication, and diplomatic skills saved us from the brink of chaos. Everyone knew of this Celestia, the Queen.

Who most people weren’t familiar with, was the mother who shared that name. The Celestia whose warmth and love formulated me through my developmental years. The kindly matriarch of our family.

My mother, my mentor, my friend.

Tonight, one body may perish, but two individuals would forever be lost.

The doctors could lie and try to peddle their hopes and miracle cures all they wanted, but I could tell she wasn’t long for this world. It was incredibly easy to see when you actually sat by her side and cradled her feeble hand within your own, feeling her emaciated condition. Then you looked into her eyes, and you realized that all hope was lost, as all you saw behind her hollow gaze was the last few pitiful embers of a once fiery soul.

The doctors themselves probably even knew the truth. Why else would they’ve called me in the middle of the night, begging me to rush to the palace to be with her? That wasn’t a request you made for a health individual. No, that was the type of phone call you made, when something terrible was about to happen.

If anything, this all felt incredibly unfair. It was simply too soon. My grandmother had lived well into her eighties, and so had her mother. Yet, here was my own precious mum, barely past her sixty-fifth birthday, and in a state where her next breath could very well be her last.

“Twilight,” she rasped, her cancer ridden lungs barely carrying her syllables.

“What is it?” I asked.

My speech wavered, threatening to break at the slightest prod.

“I need…I need to talk to you about something important.”

She opened her mouth to speak, but a fresh wave of hacking coughs interrupted her. Then these coughs deepened, persisting for several agonizing seconds, and growing to such alarming intensity that I nearly called for her nurse. Thankfully, she managed to regain a degree of control. Though as these coughs sputtered out, a fresh dribble of red coloured her deathly pale lips.

I grabbed a tissue, offering it to her. She accepted and swiftly wiped away the blood which tarnished her complexion.

“I need to tell you something,” she repeated.

“Can it wait?” I asked. “You need to save your energy.”

She grimly chuckled. “I don’t think silence will make my condition any better, dear.”

“You don’t know that. I once read-“

She lifted a hand. “This needs to be said, Twilight. When I pass…”

“If you pass…” I knew I was pleading, but I couldn’t help it. I didn’t want to see her go.

“When I pass,” my mother repeated. “The affairs of our house will rest upon your shoulders. I need to know if you’re ready to accept that burden.”

“Of course, you’ve trained me my whole life.”

“I know, but there’s a vast difference between training and actually doing, Twilight. When I pass, you’ll no longer be in charge of your own destiny. You’ll be a public servant to the people.”

“And I will gladly give that service.”

“Will you?”

“Of course.”

“Even if it means…”

She was silent, but even with the words unspoken, I knew what they’d be. They were the name of a woman, Sunset Shimmer.

These two unspoken words stabbed deep into my heart, piercing it like a dagger.

“Please mother, let’s not talk about this right now.”

“My Cherished Little Sparkle…”

She used my pet name. Even in her addled state, she was still the world’s greatest manipulator. I both loved and hated her for that.

“My Cherished Little Sparkle…the people will question you, if you continue to follow through with this.”

“Then let them question, I can handle it.”

“Can she?”

“Of…Of course.”

I cringed at how unsure I sounded.

“Twilight, this might not be your choice to make. What if parliament refuses to ratify your decision?”

“And what right do they have, denying me marriage to the woman I love?”

My mother chuckled, her eyes closing peacefully.

“You’d be surprised at what kind of power they hold over us. You must remember, dear. We are not people…”

“…but servants.”

“There’s no such thing as a private life for us.”

I sighed. “I love her mother.”

“And so do I.”

“Then why must you fight me on this?”

“Because…because I also love my people, Twilight. And I love the institutions we’ve built to endure far beyond our mortal reigns. If I could, I would allow you to wed in an instant. However, being wed to someone as…volatile as Sunset Shimmer could mortally wound what I’ve spent my entire life defending.”

I couldn’t help but smile at my mother’s choice of words.

Volatile.

It was far tamer than some of her previous language directed at Sunset. I wondered if it was time that softened her perception, or the morphine drip in her arm.

I was instantly stricken by guilt, as the memory of morphine reminded me of my mother’s current ailment, and her reasons for taking it.

She really didn’t need to have this conversation with me right now. She needed her rest. Even if she was far beyond the good it could provide.

I sighed. “I will consider reviewing my relationship with Sunset Shimmer.”

A lie, but a decent one. She might even fall for it.

“Liar.”

Or not.

I shook my head. “Can we please change the subject?”

My mother paused, pondering this. Then she slowly nodded. “Have you read any good books lately?”


January 20th, 1936 – 11:00 PM
Prime Minister Fancy Pants
10 Regalia Street – Prime Minister’s Office

A glass of gin rested in my left hand, as my right leafed through a report upon my desk.

I took a sip, then read a page, took another, then read another. Over and over I repeated this, in a routine which had become uncomfortably familiar.

It was late, well passed the hour when most Equestrian’s called it a night. However, this was just another late night in a long career of them. The cost I paid for holding such an important office.

The report before me detailed another instance of Equestria’s heir apparent, Twilight Sparkle, sticking her nose into matters well beyond her constitutional concern. A little off-hand comment made during a visit to a mine in New Fillyland. Something along the lines of “things need to change” or “we can do better as a society.” And of course, due to her status, people listened and took her words to heart.

It was infuriating. She just strolled in and shattered the normalcy I’d spent so long constructing. Then she waltzed along, to do it again elsewhere, while I was forced to pick up the pieces she’d left behind.

What a godsdamn mess. It would take the mercy of our patrons to save us, once she became Queen. Which, considering Celestia’s cancer, was a disaster rapidly approaching.

Her words were already damaging enough. I’d hate to imagine what she could do with the royal authority to veto laws and dismiss ministers. In all likelihood, it would be a very dark day for our nation.

I sighed.

If only there was some way we could just skip over her.

I shook my head.

I was Prime Minister, I couldn’t afford to reside within the realm of wishful thinking for too long.

I’d just need to find a way to make this work.

As I finished reviewing her most recent misadventure, I tossed the report atop a growing pile of material. The important information would sink in, and shape my decision-making, while the rest would be lost in the jumbled stew of my mind.

At this hour, this stew contained an overwhelming majority of my grey matter.

I looked to my glass, swirling around the mixture of ice and liquor. The gin wasn’t exactly helping with memory retention in the slightest.

I stared a moment longer, and nearly considered bringing tonight’s consumption to an end. Then I shrugged, downing the rest in one smooth motion.

Fuck it.

Someone knocked at my door.

I tore my gaze away from the empty crystal in my hand. “Come in.”

My secretary popped her head into the room. “Mr. Pants?”

“What is it, Fleur?”

“You have a call on line one.”

I nodded. “Thank you, dear.”

She gave me a tight, business-like, smile before ducking out of the room.

Once she was gone, I answered the phone. “This is the Prime Minister speaking.”

Silence greeted me.

It lingered for a few laboured seconds, persisting to the point that I nearly repeated myself.

However, just as the words were on the tip of my tongue, a voice came through, “Good Evening, Fancy.”

It was Raven, personal assistant to Queen Celestia. She sounded tired, and on the brink of utter exhaustion.

“You’re up late, Raven.”

“It’s been… it’s been a busy night.”

This piqued my interest. “In what way?”

She took a deep breath, and sighed with such intensity, that it seemed like the weight of the world was upon her shoulders.

“Starswirl’s collection has been discovered.”

I froze, staring blankly ahead. It was funny how such a trite phrase could instill such a gut-wrenching reaction. Yet, when those seemingly innocent words were amongst some of the most important codes in the entire Equestrian Kingdom, my reaction became pretty understandable.

“Fancy, are you still there?” Raven asked.

This brought me back from my stupor. “Yeah, sorry Raven. You uh…you caught me off guard.”

“I’m sorry."

“How long ago did she…”

“About fifteen minutes.”

I sighed. “I’ll, uh…I’ll get the preparations started.”

“Should I let her family know you’re on the case?”

“Yes, of course. Thank you, Raven.”

“Anything else I can do?”

“Would you mind sending them my sympathies?”

“Oh course, Fancy.”

“Thank you.”

“It’s the least I could do.”

“I still appreciate it.” I massaged my scalp. “I’ll call you tomorrow when I have an update.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

With our business concluded, the line went dead. Tonight, wasn’t the night for ‘good byes’.

My gaze reflexively shifted towards my empty glass, and the half-full bottle of gin beside it. I grabbed both, and poured myself another generous splash.

It was going to be desperately needed tonight.


January 21st, 1936 – 9:30AM

Newsstands around Canterlot were barren, with not a single copy of the Post, Free Press, Mail, or any lesser known prints left in stock.

Flags around the city rested at half-mast, and a sobering melancholy spread through the streets like a fog. Many shuffled to their destinations, with heads held low, and small talk kept to a minimum.

Across the nation, there was a day of mourning, yet the people of Equestria trudged along in their daily lives. The Equestrian spirit of “keep calm and carry on” was proudly on display.

Within a bin, upon some unassuming intersection, a newspaper rested. Its front page fluttered in the slight breeze of the day, it’s headline flittering back and forth.

Death of a Queen-

At 10:45 PM, our beloved lady, Queen Celestia, passed in her sleep. She was surrounded by her loved ones, including her sister, Princess Luna, her sons, Prince Shining Armor and Prince Blueblood, and her daughter, Princess Twilight Sparkle. Reports from the family reassure the public that she was at peace during her slumber, and that her death appeared painless.

To the right of this articles lied another.

-Long Live the Queen!

Queen Twilight Sparkle to be Proclaimed.


January 21st, 1936 – 10:30AM
Ms. Sunset Shimmer
Residence of Twilight Sparkle

I don’t think I’d ever really get used to living in a place like this. Twilight constantly assured me that it was just like any other home, but that wasn’t remotely true. This townhouse was a palace in everything but name.

I could imagine my friends back home, chiding me over this. Look at Sunset Shimmer, going soft living like royalty. With a palace that had electricity, that didn’t brownout, running water, that was always the right temperature, and a ballroom to top it all off.

Why the hell did Twilight even need one of those? It wasn’t like we ever hosted more than a dozen people.

It was just so surreal. I’d come such a long way since that shoebox back home.

“The perks of dating royalty,” I muttered.

My attention returned to the newspaper before me. It, like my breakfast, was delivered daily, right to this table.

Just another foreign concept that I’d never quite get used to.

Today’s headline made my heart ache, as I wanted nothing more then to be with Twilight right now.

It wasn’t easy losing a mother, I could tell you that. Even all the gold in the world couldn’t put a dent in that kind of sorrow.

Yet, Twilight had instructed me to remain here, rather than be there to help her through this. She wanted to avoid having a scene with her family, and my presence usually triggered that.

I felt an all too familiar bitterness bubble in my gullet. Though I quickly doused it, before it had a chance to catch and burn into a full-blown rage.

The last thing Twilight needed was me picking fights.

So, this left me lamenting her favourite mantra.

Give them time.

Fives years.

I’d given them five long years, Twilight. Yet, the only one even willing to tolerate me, had just passed away.

All of this felt so utterly hopeless. It was just a constant cycle of one step forward, two steps back.

There was a knock at the door, and I looked over.

It was one of Twilight’s servants, a young man by the name of Spike.

“Are you feeling alright?” he asked.

Of all of her staff, he was my favourite.

I waved a hand. “I’m fine.”

“It’s just…you haven’t touched your breakfast, yet.”

I looked at my plate, realizing he was right. The eggs, toast, and bacon hadn’t even been prodded at, with only my coffee being drained.

“I guess I’m a little stressed,” I admitted

Spike nodded. “Thinking about Twi?”

I sighed. “Yeah…I just…I guess I feel lost? Like, she’s suffering, and I’m stuck at home feeling completely useless.”

“If it makes you feel any better, her car just left the castle.”

I nodded. “Any ideas on what I could possibly do to cheer her up?”

Spike smiled. “Well, I know she’s fond of lilies.”

My ears perked up. “Lilies?”

“Yeah, lilies. Thankfully, it just so happens, that a certain extraordinary assistant picked a bouquet.”

I chuckled. “Thanks, Spike. You’re the best.”

“Oh, don’t worry.” He smirked. “I know.”

He then ducked out of the room, leaving me with my morning paper. However, I soon found that there was little news, other than the main article. So, I tossed it aside and returned to my breakfast, not wanting Spike’s hard work to go to waste.

As I ate, I lit a cigarette and took a drag, pulling the smoke deep into my lungs. It helped clear my mind, and settle my nerves, with each successive puff strengthening this sensation.

By the time I finished, I heard the sound of wheels upon gravel outside.

Twilight was finally home.

I stood up, and put out my cigarette, before heading for the entryway.

As Spike had promised, there was a bundle of lilies waiting next to the door.

I pulled them out of their vase and waited patiently for Twilight to come in.

What would I even say to her? Was there a phrase in our language which fit the severity of this situation?

Just tell her, what you would’ve wanted to be told.

The front door opened and my heart skipped a beat.

Twilight slowly lumbered in. She looks ragged, with her eyes puffy and reddened by tear. Her whole body slumped forward, heavy upon its weary frame. She looked like she hadn’t spared a moment for herself, with her hair a tangled nest, and her clothes heavily wrinkled.

Should I give her a hug, or give her space?

Twilight made the decision herself, as she stumbled forward and threw herself at me.

I caught her, wrapping my arms tightly around her.

She buried her face into my shoulder, and I could feel her sob. Her body shook, as her breathing quivered, and fresh tears stained my shirt.

It took me a moment to find my voice. “I’m…I’m so sorry, hun.”

The words felt weak, but they were all I could think of.

She didn’t respond with anything but fresh tears, and for a moment, we just stood there. All I could do was be her anchor, holding her steady as the river of emotions tried to sweep her away.

Eventually, her tears ran dry, and her sobs fell way, making room for a series of depressive hiccupping gulps.

I patted her softly on the back, whispering to her in the most soothing tone I could manage, begging her to let it all out.

Eventually, even these hiccups subsided, and she looked at me once more, her eyes bearing fresh signs of misery.

“Oh, Twilight,” I whispered.

I could feel tears in my own eyes now. However, I steeled myself, holding my emotions at bay.

Twilight needed someone to be there for her. I wouldn’t dare burden her with my own pains.

She eventually pulled away from me, putting a little distance between us as she dabbed at her eyes.

I instinctively held out the flowers. “I got these for you.”

She looked at them and smiled. It was a genuine smile, and in times like these, that was worth a lot.

“Lilies…my…my favourite.”

“I know.”

She gave me a look and snorted. “Liar.”

I faked being hurt. “What? Why would I-“

“Because only Spike knows I love lilies.”

“Maybe he told me?”

“Alright, and where in the garden do we grow lilies?”

I pursed my lips and looked to the side. “Alright, you caught me.”

She snickered and took the flowers, staring idly at them.

It did my heart wonders, hearing her laugh.

“Still, it was a very nice thought,” she said, her voice suddenly sounding distant.

The two of us stood in silence. I was at a loss for words, and she seemed simply too exhausted to carry on.

“Do you need anything?” I finally asked.

“Some breakfast would be nice.”

I nodded, and together we headed for the kitchen.

As we entered, she went for the coffeemaker and I made my way towards the stove.

“What are you doing?” Twilight asked. “I can get Spike to-”

“Spike’s already done more than enough." I turned on the element. "Now, I might be a little rusty, but I used to make some pretty good scrambled eggs."

Twilight smiled. “I would like that.”

I grinned. “I thought you might.”

With that, I headed for our fridge.

“Is there anything you wanted to talk about?” I asked.

“Like what?”

“Well, you’re the Queen now.”

She froze, her expression reflexively turning to a grimace.

I winced. “Bad timing?”

“No, it’s just…” She sighed. “The idea is still pretty strange to me.”

With that, our conversation ended, as I instead focused on Twilight’s meal. I managed to find my ingredients with ease, bringing them to the counter.

As I prepped Twilight’s food, I occasionally glanced over my shoulder, seeing her smoking and sipping coffee, as she read the paper. At first, it seemed like she was focused on the front page, and I prayed she wouldn’t reopen her wounds. Thankfully, she soon rifled through the articles until she landed upon a crossword at the very back.

This was reassuring, as crosswords were often a refuge for Twilight when she was stressed. They usually distracted her from the worst of her worries.

As the pan heated up, I cracked open a couple of eggs and stirred their contents into the sizzling skillet. I then added my vegetables, which soon began to cook, filling the room with the rich aromas of breakfast.

I could see Twilight smile, as the scent reached her.

“Breakfast smells lovely,” she said.

“Told you I wasn’t half bad.”

“I never doubted you for a second.”

I smiled and busied myself with stirring the recipe, taking only the occasional break to add in cheese and bacon.

“Sunset, can I ask you a question?” Twilight asked.

“What is it, hun?”

“When did your mother die?”

I involuntarily tensed, dropping my spatula.

Twilight winced, as it loudly clanged against the floor. “I’m sorry, that was way too personal.”

“No, it’s just…you caught me off guard is all.”

I paused and began to tidy up the mess I just made.

Once it was clean, I looked back to her. “She died in 1919."

“Was it the flu?”

I nodded. “The whole family caught it.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“It was nearly 20 years ago. I’ve…uh…well, ‘come to terms’ isn’t quite right. More like… accepted it.”

“Do you still miss them?”

I grabbed another spatula and focused my attention on stirring. “Yeah...yeah I do.”

“Does it ever get any easier?”

“In time.”

I turned off the element and scooped Twilight’s breakfast onto a plate.

As I made my way over to her, she smiled at the sight of my cooking.

“It looks delicious,” she said.

“A meal fit for a Queen?”

“Hmm…maybe a duchess. Though, I’m not opposed to slumming it.”

I chuckled. “Glad, I’m worthy of your slumming.”

She blinked. “Oh, I uh… meant the eggs.” She stuck out her tongue. “You just happen to be attached to them.”

“Well, if that’s the case, maybe I’ll just share these with Spike.”

She gasped. “You wouldn’t dare.”

I smirked. “Try me.”

She furrowed her brow, before throwing her hands up in defeat. “Alright, alright, I surrender.”

I coyly smirked as I placed her plate down. “Glad to hear it.”

Twilight quickly shovelled a generous bite into her mouth, chewing it as she continued her crossword.

“Do you need any help?” I asked.

“Sure.” She looked at me. “Seven down, eight letters, starts with an A. Hint reads, failure to fulfill a duty.”

I hummed, mulling it over. “Abandon? Wait no, that’s seven.”

“Acquiesce?” She shook her head. “No, that’s not quite right.”

“What about abdicate?”

Twilight hummed. “Hmm, it fits.”