• Published 13th Sep 2018
  • 8,477 Views, 204 Comments

Shot Through The Heart - Chaospaladin



Twilight cares for Chrysalis after a near-fatal accident.

  • ...
42
 204
 8,477

And you play your game

“...and once Gallus opened his mouth, it all went downhill from there.”

“And you were left to clean after their mess again? Hmph. If I ran that school, they would all get ten lashes for their impudence.”

“Good grief, Chrysalis! They’re only children! You can’t just—wait a second, you’re messing with me again, aren’t you?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Isn’t the whipping of foals trending these days?”

“Oh my gosh, you are just the worst!”

“The word you’re looking for is 'hilarious'.”

“Of course you would think that,” Twilight giggled as she and Chrysalis moved together with careful, synchronized steps. Their barrels pressed against each other to support Chrysalis’ balance during another of their daily physical therapy walks. Her smaller frame struggled to keep up with Chrysalis’ tall and sleek body, which made her have to wrap a wing around Chrysalis’ barrel to make up for the size difference.

This closeness always brought a smile to Twilight’s face, a symbol for how far they’ve come as friends.

Once they reached the final lap at Chrysalis’ bed, the stopped to sit at the edge of it and gather their breath.

“Phew! We did it!” Twilight wiped the sweat off her brow.

Chrysalis threw her a bemused glance. “Of course we did. Although you seem more exhausted than I am.”

“W-w-what, me? Psh, nah! I’m totally fine!” Twilight waved off, though her flustered voice was nigh impossible to conceal. Clearly pressing against Chrysalis’ smooth, warm carapace for almost half an hour straight had nothing to do with it.

There was some truth to Chrysalis’ observation, Twilight noted. Outside being sweaty, Chrysalis suffered minimal pain. Between short on breath and flustered, Twilight stood out as the more stressed of the two.

Chrysalis drew herself closer, causing Twilight to lean back in a poor attempt to subtly dodge the scrutinizing gaze. Matters only grew worse when Chrysalis pressed the back of her forehoof gently against Twilight’s forehead, temple and neck. The corner of Chrysalis’ mouth would occasionally twitch upward as if forcing down a smirk. “Hmmm, your face is boiling hot, but it’s clearly not a fever. Is there some other reason your face is impersonating a tomato?”

“Y-yeah. I’m just, uh, really proud of all the progress you’re making! It couldn’t possibly be any other reason!” Twilight laughed nervously. I swear I can never tell if she’s trying to mess with me or not.

Chrysalis’ stare lingered for a few more seconds, then shifted her sights to the bathroom.

“I want to take a shower.”

“Good idea. Nothing like a warm shower after a good workout.”

Chrysalis gave a thoughtful hum and sparked her horn. A thin, green veil of magic wrapped around her legs and barrel to assist her movements. She slipped onto the floor and shuffled her hooves until she found her center gravity.

Seeing Chrysalis was about to hit the shower, Twilight also hopped off the bed. “Well, Spike brought some pumpkins spice coffee ingredients, since they’re in season now, so I’ll just leave you to it while I—”

“Where do you think you’re going?”

The husky tone caused Twilight to nearly trip into a dead stop. “Huh?”

Chrysalis returned her gaze upon Twilight. This time, there was a sense of intensity behind her gaze that rooted Twilight. “You are going to help me.”

...To the bathroom, right? Help her get adjusted and maybe even stick around to chat. Surely she didn’t mean—

“I can hear you thinking again, Twilight. You know exactly what I mean.”

If Twilight’s face heated up any further, she was sure she would’ve suffered a heat stroke. “Wha—huh? B-b-but you can take care of yourself just fine. Surely you don’t need my help, of all ponies, to wash you.”

Chrysalis nodded her head to the bathroom and walked toward it. Twilight hesitated, distracted by what she swore was a sultry grin.

I … I’m sure I’m just imagining things. I mean, this is Chrysalis we’re talking about. I’m sure those sexy glances and all that hip wiggling doesn’t mean anything. Nope. Nothing at all.

That train of thought did little to help her accelerated heart rate.

By time time her mind caught up, her body picked up the pace and she was already in the bathroom with her. Chrysalis prepped the shower stall, testing the temperature of the water every few seconds. Steam began to fill the bathroom. Anticipation and tension ran through Twilight like a live wire, thoughts running a mile a minute.

Maybe she’s just messing with me again or trying to get in my head. It’s not like she actually has a thing for me or something. Not… not that I have a thing for her either. We’re just two friends about to have a shower. Together.

Totally platonic.

Satisfied with the steamy shower, Chrysalis slipped her long legs into the running water. A small growl left her throat as she closed her eyes and allowed the water to run over her. Her carapace glistened against the bathroom light.

Between the gorgeous green mane matted against her sleek neck and the depths of Chrysalis’ emerald gaze as she shot Twilight a look that nearly made her heart leapt out her chest, Twilight wasn’t sure how much longer she could handle the pressure.

I’m just overthinking things. As long as I keep a cool head about it, this won’t get weird.

“Join me,” Chrysalis patted the space behind her in the tub. “I won’t bite… but I’m open for requests.”

Yep. This just got weird.

Any question or concern Twilight had got lost in her voice, little more than a squeak slipping out her throat.

“Pick up your jaw and get in already. I don’t have all day,” Chrysalis ushered with an edge of impatience.

With a slow nod, Twilight shakily stepped into the tub behind Chrysalis. She could barely feel the heat from the water; the fire in her cheeks could melt an iceberg.

“Would you kindly take care of my mane and back?”

“S-sure.” Twilight moved robotically to grab the washcloth and soap, not trusting her mind to use magic.

While Chrysalis had her moments of teasing, never had she been this forward with Twilight. Her mind scrambled for answers to uncover the root of this… she had no idea what to call it. Was Chrysalis trying to get a reaction out of her? Teasing?

...Flirting?

That’s ridiculous! Twilight tried to shake the thought out of her head. This is Chrysalis! She cocooned my mentor, ruined my brother and Cadance’s wedding…

Twilight dug her hooves into Chrysalis’ thick mane. Thicker than pony hair with a gelatinous-like smoothness that pulled at her attention. Her movements slowed, reveling in the touch.

She came back and tried to take over Equestria again and nearly assassinated Thorax with her last scheme...

Her scrubbing had moved down to Chrysalis’ back. Smooth, rubbery areas of the chitin were comfortable to the touch. The idea of cleaning faded from Twilight’s mind, absorbed in the added softness water brought to Chrysalis’ carapace.

How… could I possibly fall for someone like that…?

A growl of pleasure ripped from Chrysalis’ throat, causing Twilight’s mind to go blank for a moment.

“You know, Twilight. Something has come to my attention as of late,” Chrysalis said after a moment. “My recovery has been quite immaculate.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed with suspicion. She knew Chrysalis was definitely trying to bait her with such a clearly odd shift of topic. “I agree. You’ve been doing well.”

“Considering I’ve nearly lost my spine, such a recovery would normally take years to heal, even for someone as powerful as I.”

“Equestrian medical magic and science have come a long way. There’s very little we cannot do, as long as it’s not fatal, even though your physiology is certainly more complicated than that of a normal changeling.”

“Hmm, a fair point. Though at this pace, it would not be long until I am ready to leave.”

Twilight’s scrubbing slowed.

That’s right. This is a temporary arrangement. Once Chrysalis recovers, I promised she would be free to go wherever she wants. She already sounds like she’s ready to go.

Twilight winced at the proverbial stab in the chest. I mean, it’s no big deal, right? Not like we were actually bonding and beginning to understand one another. I’m sure she couldn’t care less about staying here. With me.

She blinked back the stinging sensation in her eyes. Her hooves stopped scrubbing.

“I’m sure you learned quite a bit about changeling physiology,” Chrysalis continued, seemingly oblivious to Twilight’s turmoil. “More importantly, how more powerful emotions can enhance our natural attributes. Interestingly, my recovery rate seems to have been bolstered after I moved in with you.”

Twilight’s heart thumped. Is she saying what I think she’s saying?

“Any idea why that might be the case, Twilight?”

“I-I…” Twilight grew surprised at how small her own voice had gotten. “I don’t know.”

“Is that a fact?” Her tone secretly accused Twilight of deceit.

“If you know something, spit it out already,” Twilight exasperated. She could feel Chrysalis’ grin without seeing her face.

“Tell me, Twilight,” Chrysalis’ authoritative tone returned with a vengeance, “are you familiar with the 'Nurse Night Flower Effect'?”

Twilight’s breath hitched.

“Well?” Chrysalis asked.

Twilight didn’t answer. Couldn’t bring herself to do so.

Chrysalis continued. “The 'Nurse Night Flower Effect' occurs when a caregiver or nurse develops romantic feelings for their patients. Of course, you already knew that, didn’t you?”

A lengthy pause, then a sigh.

“Those are dangerous emotions to have for me, Twilight. You may regret it later.”

“Why do you think that?”

“You may view me in a positive light, but the world will always see me as an enemy. There are some things you can’t change, Twilight.”

Chrysalis lowered her head and muttered to herself. “Some wounds that can never heal.”

“That doesn’t mean we can’t try. We don’t have to be enemies, Chrysalis.”

Twilight leaned her forehead against Chrysalis’ back.

“You… don’t have to leave, either.”

“Twilight…”

Twilight wrapped her hooves around Chrysalis’ waist. Her voice quivered, a feeble whisper.

“I know these past several months have been hard on you. Everyday I’ve watched you get stronger. Learn more. Open up little by little. I’ve treasured every step forward our bond has taken. But I just don’t know when everything changed, or why I feel the way I do. I just… don’t want this to stop. I don’t want you to go, Chrysalis.”

Her grip broke when Chrysalis turned around to face her. Twilight let her hooves drop.

“Am… I selfish for wanting you to stay with me?” Twilight whispered. She didn’t dare look up.

Chrysalis said nothing, instead tilting her chin upward so their eyes met. There was neither scowling, nor judging, or even concern. Long seconds ticked away with nothing more than an intense stare, as if peering deep into Twilight’s soul.

Twilight cracked under the pressure and looked away.

“I’m… I’m sorry. I should go.”

Twilight barely moved before she found herself pushed back and pinned against the wall. Startled, all she could do was gasp before Chrysalis seized her chin with a firm grip and forced their eyes to lock again.

“You’re such a pest.”

Chrysalis pulled Twilight’s muzzle into a kiss