• Published 18th Aug 2018
  • 587 Views, 8 Comments

The Return of the Heart - keithsterling



This story is from the Shatter Realm Chronicle timeline...check out the other Shatter Relam Chronicle storyline

  • ...
 8
 587

Chapter 1

In the Crystal City, the Capital city of the Crystal Empire, Grand Princess of Love Blueberry Swirl Silverlight’s troops continues to secure the city. Ward by ward, street by street, building by building they are clearing out troops still loyal to Princess Flurry Heart with the help of the crystal pony population.

With all the divisions tied-up with searching for Princess Flurry Heart’s remaining troops in the city, it has forced the Regional General to request additional reinforcements from the Equestria Royal Army to help secure important structures in the city.

Among one of those important structures in the city is the Crystal palace. Since the fall of Princess Flurry Heart’s faction, the palace has remained un-searched for additional documents from the rule of Princess Flurry Heart. The job of finding the documents and securing the Crystal Palace has fallen to a 5ft 9in striking navy blue bat pony hybrid mare with a lime green mane and tail.

She’s attired in a purple color Special Forces nano-bot combat body armor of the Grand Prince of the Moon, Somnus Silverlight’s troops. Her name is Major Adrian Nightwing, the personal guard of the Grand Prince and the commander of his elite guard company know as the Night Wings.

In a specially made small mobile command center for commanding Special Forces troops, Major Nightwing watches the live video feed from several special operation teams. Members of the Night Wings Company move from floor to floor, room by room clearing the Palace and marking rooms to search for documents later on the map. On the live video feed from team 14 who is currently clearing the dungeon of the Crystal Palace, all is going well as no Pow have been found in the dungeon.

“Huh? Commander! This cell door is locked. It is the first one we have encountered down here!”An earth pony PFC exclaims.

“Tech, see if you can pick the lock. we don’t know where the key is for it.” The commander orders as an earth pony PFC mare kneels down in front of the cell door and begins to try and pick the lock with the lockpick tools from her utility belt/holster.

~a few hours later~

“I am sorry Commander, for some reason; I am unable to pick the lock with my tools.” The PFC mare agitated as the commander gestures to the earth pony sergeant with a canvas satchel across his chest.

“Demo, set a position charge around the lock on the door and blow it with a remote control detonator.” The commander orders as the earth pony sergeant tears a small piece of plastique from a larger block inside the bag. He shapes the charge around the lock on the door before placing a detonator into the puttylike substance.

“Fire in the hole!” The earth pony sergeant calls as he squeezes the trigger of a hand-held wireless electrical ignition.

A moment later, there’s a sudden boom that echoes through the stone corridors of the dungeon and fills with smoke. As the smoke slowly clears, two earth pony stallions kick open the damage cell door and shine their helmet light around the darken 10x10 room.

“Sweet Celestia!” the earth pony corporal exclaims as his helmet light falls upon a beautiful unconscious, light pink colored unicorn mare with a moderate violet, moderate rose and pale gold streaked mane and tail. She looks to be a curvy 5ft 9in in height attired in a shapeless dress that hit her at the top of her knees. Her slender and silky light pink feet were bare but tied to the legs of the chair.

“Medic! We found a prisoner! It looks like the mare was a guest of the Black Opal Internal Security Unit!” The earth pony corporal yells as a unicorn mare runs into the room carrying her medical kit with her. She quickly draws her vibro-knife from her scabbard on her utility belt and begins cutting the ropes holding the mare to the chair.

With the last of the ropes cut, her body just tumbles over to the floor. The unicorn mare catches the other mare in her arms and reels in astonishment as she felt feathery wings resting against her back.

“Commander! This mare is not a unicorn! She an Alicorn!” The unicorn medic calls as the commander runs into the room as the unicorn medic lays the alicorn mare gently on the floor of the room to begin working on her.

“Are you sure, Medic, that this mare is a true Alicorn and not a modified pony?” The commander questioning as the unicorn medic slowly and carefully rolls the alicorn mare on to her stomach.

She carefully extends one of the Alicorn’s lavender feathery wings from her back and asks the corporal to hold on to it as best he can. She warns him that an Alicorn wing is more robust than that of a pegasi wing. Since she is unconscious, the wing will try to pull itself against her back to protect it from being broken. The unicorn medic deactivates her nano-bot armor and pulls her glove off.

She runs her finger around the point where the wing attaches to the shoulder feeling for the scars of being a modified pony. None are found. She runs her finger along the base of the unicorn horn feeling once again for the scars and, once again finds nothing.

“It’s safe to say, commander, this mare is an Alicorn, no doubt in my mind.” The unicorn Medic proclaims as the commander quickly relays the findings to Major Nightwing who quickly makes her way to the dungeon.

Once down in the dungeon, Major Nightwing draws her own vibro-knife and cuts a hole in the skirt of the dress over the thigh of the Alicorn mare. Her eyes blink with incredulity. On the thigh of the mare was a multifaceted light blue crystal heart between gold laces. Not since she was a younger Lunar Guard Captain has she seen that cutie mark before.

To make sure it’s a real cutie mark she tries to scratch it off with her nail and when it didn’t work, she was shocked.

“This Alicorn is Princess Cadence Sparkle, the mother of Princess Flurry Heart Sparkle. But she disappeared at the same time Princess Celestia and Princess Luna Silverlight did!” Adrian exclaims, as team 14 gasps, all at the same time, in shock with the finding of the missing Princess Cadence.

“If this is the missing Princess Cadence and the mother of Princess Flurry Heart, how did she end up down here in the dungeon in the hands of the Black Opal Internal Security Units?” The commander poses the question to Major Nightwing as Adrian thought for a little while.

At the same time the unicorn medic set to work stabilizing the princess so she can be Medevac from the Crystal City to the Palace hospital in Canterlot for critical medical care.

“Here’s a crazy thought, Commander, what if like Princess Celestia and Princess Luna she suddenly reappeared in this timeline. To her, nothing changed except for her form of a two legged pony, as far as she knows, as she’s trying to make sense of what’s going on around her. she ran into the Black Opal Internal Security Unit from what the Crystal pony’s told me. The main job of the Black Opal is to enforce the will of Princess Flurry Heart and independently interrogate a prisoner for information.” Adrian explains as the commander realized what the Major was implying.

“If we follow that line of thought, Major, since the Black Opal is an independent interrogation unit.(eyes widen with alarm). By Celestia’s light, they used every single Interrogation technique on her to make her talk. it was, most likely, the most horrible experience the Princess of Love could have. Plus Princess Flurry Heart would have never known her mother reappeared.” The commander exclaims as two earth pony paramedics rush in and gently lay Princess Cadence in a patient transport basket to carry her to the waiting Medivac helicopter outside the Palace.

Its a few hours later as a comatose Princess Cadence lies in a bed with an oxygen mask over her snout at the Palace hospital in Canterlot. Supervising her medical care was Grand Princess of Love, Blueberry Swirl Silverlight. Since the arrival of the unconscious Princess Cadence from the Crystal Empire to the hospital, Blueberry has felt torn between her loyalties to her mentor and the detest of Cadence’s daughter Princess Flurry Heart for killing that innocent Crystal maid to force her to give-up the Throne of Love.

Watching from the observation room above the private hospital room was Blueberry’s niece Princess Alysia. Also with her was Blueberry’s mother and Alysia’s grandmother Princess Celestia Silverlight.

Celestia heard that her granddaughter was heading over to the palace hospital to see her missing cousin Princess Cadence and decided to join her for the visit. When Celestia asked her Granddaughter if she wanted some company for the visit with her cousin, Alysia immediately said, 'yes' to her grandmother’s offer.

The two ponies were walking through the Canterlot city park, a short cut from the Royal Palace to the Palace hospital. Alysia told her Grandmother she was a bit scared to see her cousin alone because she has never seen her cousin before.

But now with her grandmother at her side, she feels a bit more secure about it. As a torn Blueberry clasps and unclasps her hands she turns and leaves the private hospital room to begin her rounds. She must put her personal feeling aside as she still a Doctor. With the private room now vacant, both Celestia and Alysia climb down the stairs from the observation room into the room.

Alysia’s breathe catches in her throat as she looks upon the tall, curvy and beautiful new Alicorn mare that lies unconscious before her. She looks mystified at this new member of her royal family. She reaches her trembling hand out to grasp the hand of Princess Cadence but stops short. A moment later, her grandmother places her hand on top of hers and gently moves it the rest of the way towards Cadence’s hand. Celestia places her granddaughter’s hand into Cadence’s hand and closes her fingers.

“Go ahead grandchild, introduce yourself to your cousin, don’t worry I’ll remain at your side, Granddaughter.” Celestia said supportively.

“Greetings cousin, my name is Princess Alysia Ara Silverlight. I am the daughter of the Grand Prince of the Moon Somnus Silverlight and Granddaughter of Princess Celestia Silverlight, Great-niece to Princess Luna Silverlight. I am eager to speak to you cousin. But till then, heal your body and mind first.” Alysia explains as she joins her grandmother as the two ponies leave the hospital room to head home.

Later that same day at the hidden lake in the palace gardens, Celestia sits on the edge of the lake with her barefeet, once again, submerged in the water. All the time she spend with her granddaughter has taught her that the Sea pony siren side of her son’s family will talk more freely when they are swimming in the water. At the hospital, Celestia sensed something was troubling her granddaughter.

On the return to the palace, Celestia invited Alysia to join her at the lake. After a few playful assaults on the fairly large ticklish soles of her grandmother’s submerge feet, Alysia surfaces and sits on a small rock in the lake. Celestia hoped her granddaughter is ready to talk to her.

“Grandma? Why was Aunt Blueberry so torn when she was looking at our cousin?” Alysia inquired innocently as the question caught Celestia by surprise.

‘Does my Granddaughter not know who Blueberry’s teacher was?’ Celestia thought looking at her granddaughter quizzically wondering just how much her foal told Alysia about her family,

“Grandchild? Do you not know who my foal’s teachers were?” Celestia inquired as Alysia shook her head slightly in response to her grandmother’s question.

“All right, Who was the teacher for your Aunt Aurora?” Celestia inquired as Alysia’s faces brightened.

“Aunt Aurora’s teacher was you, Grandmother, Princess Celestia Silverlight.” Alysia answered

“Correct, Granddaughter, now who was the teacher for your father?” Celestia asked

“Papa’s teacher was my great-auntie, Princess Luna Silverlight.” Alysia answered as Celestia claps her hands together joyfully

“Final question, Granddaughter, who was your aunt Blueberry’s teacher?” Celestia inquired

“After the start of the war. Aunt Blueberry never again mentions her teacher. so I thought she had died during the war and that was why she never spoke of her again.” Alysia explains sadly as Celestia gasps and her chest becomes heavy with grief.

“Granddaughter, your aunt Blueberry’s teacher was Princess Cadence and the mother to Princess Flurry Heart.” Celestia explains sorrowfully as Alysia’s face flushes with indignation and she dives into the lake and swims off. Her grandmother yanks her feet out of the water, quickly getting to her feet.

“ALYSIA! COME BACK GRANDDAUGHTER!” Celestia yells as the end of her granddaughter’s fin disappears under the water.

Sitting on a chair on a second floor balcony overlooking the gardens drinking apple cider was Grand Prince of the Moon Somnus Silverlight. His drinking companion for today was his Aunt Princess Luna Silverlight. It’s been a very long time since the two Alicorns of the night sat down to have a drink and talk together since she disappeared years ago.

“So Auntie what are you thinking about?” Somnus inquired as he refreshes her drink with the pitcher of apple cider that sat on the table next to them.

“Nephew, did you hear that Princess Cadence was found in the Crystal Empire’s dungeon unconscious?” Luna asked as she took a sip of the apple cider from her cup.

“That is very regretful Auntie, She’s the one pony I wished had never returned.” Somnus said off the cuff as Luna looked at her nephew piercingly with his comment.

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that comment, nephew.” Luna said sourly as she waited for her nephew to explain himself.

“As bad as it sounds Auntie, it’s the truth. I wish Cadence never reappeared for the sake of Blueberry.” Somnus explains as Luna just looks at Somnus with a withering stare.

“Since Flurry Heart betrayed Blueberry by killing that Crystal maid. My little sister has not been herself, What made her a great Princess of Love was her heart. Then it was snuffed out the moment Flurry heart betrayed her and took the Throne of Love. Now with the return of the original Princess of Love to Equestria that wound in her heart has slowly started to reopen. As much as she doesn’t want to blame Princess Cadence for what happened In her heart she does.” Somnus explains as Luna begins to start feeling sorry from thinking her nephew wanted more power in Equestria.

“I am sorry nephew, for thinking you wanted more power in Equestria, that’s why you said you wish Princess Cadence never returned.” Luna said apologetic and a bit embarrassed.

“Now Auntie! The very first lessons you taught me was the lust for power leads to a dark place, once you enter that place there’s no way to escape and the deeper you go, the more power you want. That is not the way of the Night or the will of Mother Moon. we, the children of the night are to show that the night is not an evil place. it’s a place to rest and dream of a brighter future. That’s what it means to be the ruler of the night.” Somnus explains as Luna’s eyes mist over with joy.

“And to think I thought you were a hardheaded and stubborn stallion, my little Somnus.” Luna said teasing as she spread her wings and took to the sky.

“Stubborn!” Somnus exclaims as he spreads his wings and takes to the sky after his aunt.

In the skies over Canterlot, the two Alicorns continues their airborne game as Somnus tries to catch his Aunt Luna to get her to apologize for calling him a stubborn stallion and to enjoy the flight with her in the sky. A few minutes into the game, Luna loses sight of her nephew who flew into the sun, to cover his approach. Blinded by the sun, Luna doesn’t realize that Somnus is already behind her.

“Got you, Auntie! Now is the Princess of Night going to apologize for calling me stubborn?” Somnus inquires as he wraps his arms around his aunt’s waist to keep her from escaping.

“Tee-hee alright, you, win, Somnus, and I am sorry for calling you stubborn. Shall we land, nephew, and talk for a little longer, before we head home?” Luna suggest as she points toward a flat top roof on a nearby building. Somnus let his aunt go and she flies straight for the roof. She followed closely by Somnus.

“I thought about what you said, Somnus, about Blueberry. so the reappearing of Princess Cadence just brought back very painful memories for my young niece ,what I thought would be a joyful reunion celebration. has turned into reliving the betrayal of Cadence’s daughter against our family and the loss of the Crystal Empire.” Luna said very sorry as Somnus sat down next to her on the low wall she was sitting on. Somnus reached down and runs his finger inside his aunt’s arch which causes Luna to jump.

“Now Auntie are you not the one who told me. you cannot change what happened in the past, all you could do is hope to be forgiven. if you can’t forgive yourself for a past mistake, there’s no moving forward.” Somnus comments as he, once again, takes to the sky followed by Luna.