• Published 11th Aug 2018
  • 656 Views, 12 Comments

The Apple draws the Earth... - CGen



How does one acclimatize a skittish Unicorn to a village full of Changelings? Slowly, carefully, and with the combined force of falling from a tree.

  • ...
3
 12
 656

...as the Earth draws the Apple.

Arrival

"Heads up, we've got something."

Green eyes snapped up, blinking wearily. A black chitin hoof runs through a forest of equally green hairs, twigs and dead leaves shaking free, while another stifles a small yawn.

"Whassit...another timberwolf?"

"Nope, a pony. A unicorn, probably come in from the station, I guess. It looks like he's alone." The other occupant of the lookout replies, casually leaning over the edge. Part of being a secret village meant not having an obvious presence. Guard posts along dirt roads tended to do that.

He stretches, flicking a forked tongue across his fangs. The sour taste of worry and apprehension was strong, given the distance, with a mild aftertaste of hope. Stalwart was glad he was up high in the trees - any closer and he'd probably gag, despair is never a taste a Caretaker could get used to.

"It isn't the safest idea to prowl these woods alone, even with us here. Do you think he's lost?"

Below, a parchment-white unicorn plodded along, saddlebags more fit for a camping trip than a hike in the woods.

Flattened ears and a swishing tail showed a nervousness that didn't take a changeling to notice, even as his head scanned the forest around.

He didn't look up. They hardly do.

"Lost is one way to put it. He's looking for the village, I'm sure you can taste that tiny bit of hope underneath all that - eugh - that anxiety."
The changeling pointed at their unwitting newcomer. "That and the campsite he's bringing with him. Only woodsponies and nervous first-timers bring that much out here, and it's obvious which one he is."

"Right then." A nod. "Better make sure he doesn't get any more lost, Dupe. I'll go and get-"

"Shush. Not so loud." Duplicitous clamped shut his companion's mouth with green magic. "Anyway, you're taking care of this. I'll head back and get them to roll out the Warm Welcome mat. Because I recall you still owe me for that game of cards the other night."

Green eyes rolled.

"Ugh. Your puns as bad as that nymph of his. Wait, no - worse."

A duller shade of green was shoved into Stalwart's hooves. His helmet.

"Complain later, you've got a pony to greet. And remember to keep your helmet on! I don't want to deal with Vigil talking my ears off again, and I'm sure you don't either."

An open faced helmet made staring holes into others faces very easy. No more was said as the two changelings went to work, one slipping off from tree to tree in a beeline back to the guards that would handle the visitor proper, and the other hopping down to ground level, his body awash in green magic-flame as he took on an unassuming disguise.

‘An earth pony would probably be the most unassuming. Makes more sense to have one in the forest from a place this far away from the city.’ Stalwart looked down at his dark gray hooves, double checking himself down to his metallic green tail. ‘Not my favourite form, but at least I can keep the colours.’

The guard stepped out from behind the tree and made his presence known to the unicorn, loudly.

"Hello there! Are you lost?"

It proved to be a bad call, as that sent the other stallion stumbling over in surprise. To his credit, he recovered quickly.

"Ah! Um, yes. I-I mean no! I mean..." The visitor took a breath to compose himself, and Stalwart took the time to remove his helmet - the stuffy thing - and hold it in one hoof. He came to a stop a cautious distance away from the shrinking violet of a unicorn.

"It's alright." He soothed. A clearly seen face is a relatable one, as helpful as a kind smile and even voice. "Take your time. You're safe here."

"Right..." His ears drooped back down, his expression falling. That love-damned sadness again. "I'm here because I heard there was a village somewhere in the area - a place for healing, to help ponies get over their problems. Where they can go be themselves and get away from the world. At least, that's what I was told."

"You make it sound like a paradise resort on some tropical island." The other chuckled. Not that the newcomer would get the pun. "I'm guessing the name of this place - Respite?"
A couple of blinks and a nervous smile. "Er, yes, actually. Could you show me the way? I take it you're from there."

“I’m just a guard, for making sure wanderers like you don’t get too lost out here. Keeping an eye out for timberwolves and such. Besides, your welcoming party is already here.”

“What welcom-gah!”

Hooves left the ground once more, though this time with a deal more embarrassed blushing on the unicorn’s part. And a suppressed urge to chuckle on Stalwart’s.

Behind him - now before - stood two ponies. One of which was actually a pony disguise, but...what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. He might have heard of Respite, but there was no telling how much was heard.

It would just scare him, if things were any indication.

“Greetings!” A pegasus stepped forward, offering her armoured hoof. “What brings you out here? You can call me Vigil.”

An off white hoof pushed up the glasses that slid down his muzzle, red eyes blinking like he’d never seen a pony offer their hoof before. Slowly, he stood, and returned the greeting.

“I’m Abacus...just Abacus, really. I’ve come a long way…”

Stalwart watched the trio walk off towards the village, Hawkeye gave him a thankful nod as Vigil-in-disguise listened to the unicorn’s story.

‘Seems like a nice enough guy, though skittish as a mouse.’ he waved back before returning to his post. ‘Hope nothing too dramatic happens while he’s here.’


The tree

“The place always looks so lively when a new pony’s in town.”

Duplicitous glanced across the houses, the sight of the village abuzz like bees in a hive under the backdrop of the falls made it look almost too picturesque to be true, like the artwork on the face of a postcard.

“What, you mean more than usual?” Stalwart droned monotonously. The pair had just finished a 12-hour shift right through their usual sleep schedule. Suffice to say the green changeling was moderately annoyed at his partner's stoicism. “We’ve always been lively, especially with visitors.”

“...don’t tell me you aren’t at least a little interested in seeing how the new guy is doing.” Dupe’s tongue flicked out to the side, towards a small crowd on the far side of the area, noting Stalwart's annoyance. A frown. Something was amiss - more than the minor sting of irritability, the air had taken a sudden downturn in taste from the usual joy and pride of showing a new pony around.

A shrill squeal cracked the air, and the two village guards jerked to attention. The crowd in the distance had moved, it was agitated, now. And the ponies all seemed to be gathered around and focused on...a tree?

No words needed to be said, the two cantered over - whatever it was wasn't an emergency, but it still warranted some hurry. Hawkeye met them halfway, his eyes wide, hoof cutting across his neck in a signal to stop.

“Quick you two! Get in disguise, now!” He stepped between them and the tree, glancing back at the branches. Green leaves shouldn't have been falling in the middle of spring.

“I take it something's happened.” Dupe intoned as green fire washed over him, fur replacing chitin from tip to tail.

“Of a sort. Some of the others, well, startled the new guy coming out of disguise. Turns out that unicorn is really, really, anxious about changelings.” The stallion pointed behind him.

“He jumped right into that tree and now we can't get him down - Faith’s still trying to coax him, but if promises of Sweet Treat’s cakes aren't doing it I don't know what else she can do. He’ll be screaming about being eaten alive all day otherwise.”

“And so you want us to help...? If he suspects everyone here is a changeling, than we'd be suspect too, even if he's never seen our natural forms.” Stalwart took off his helmet and let his mane breathe a little.

“I don’t know! He’s still blubbing that every new pony he’s seen so far is a spider ready to wrap him up in a cocoon and suck out his insides.” Hawkeye threw up his hooves in frustration. “I don't think he's in the right state of mind to figure out if the faces he's seen before than might have been changelings too.”

“Stalwart, why don't you see if you can talk him down? He's only seen your pony form, hasn't he?”

“Once. He's never seen your face either, Dupe.”

“You're still a familiar face, even if it wasn't your real one. Now quit stalling! I don't want to wait and see if the Woods brothers need to break out their saw!”

Stalwart shrugged and began walking. What good could he do, that the others couldn't? Catch him if he fell? A few quick words to Faith let Stalwart have a try at bringing down the metaphorical cat stuck up a tree.

“Abacus, was it? Do you remember me?”

“I remember...you're one of them, aren't you?”

Stalwart paused. The truth might certainly hinder his efforts, but lying now might mean losing what little trust remained of a visitor that never really had much reason to cooperate to begin with.

“That's not important right now.” He shook his head, placing his forehooves up the trunk. “They really do mean you no harm.”

Glancing aside, Stalwart noticed the others - none of them undisguised, not after that outburst - give him a wide berth. Some with hopeful smiles, others with anticipating looks, it seems he'd made the most progress out of any of them. A few other changelings were poking their heads out, but Hawkeye was doing a great job of keeping their distance.

‘Looks like it's just me, then.’ Stalwart looked back at the unicorn, smiling politely. Abacus was hugging a branch, clinging to it like his life depended on it. The hunched figure looked straight at him, no, through him. Those red eyes almost made him look like an animal backed into a corner. He tried to word his next sentence calmly, no judgement or accusation, just a question.

“Are you still scared?”

“N-no, I was just startled, really! It’s just that with all that I’ve heard about...” He held guarded stance, shoulders tense. But still better than what was before. Abacus was still a little afraid, Stalwart noted.

“Say no more.” He waved dismissively.

“I'm sorry. You've been nothing but nice to me and-”

“Don't worry about that.” Stalwart cut him off. “You're not the first, and I'm sure you're far from the last pony who's going to be nervous around changelings. You'll get there in your own time. No one's going to hold a grudge against you for that.”

“I...thanks.” The unicorn returned a small smile. The air was still heavy with the lingering bitterness of fear but it was waning. As far as Stalwart was concerned it may as well have been nothing more than a cup of under-sweetened coffee compared to before.
“Uh, I never got your name.” …still needed to work on the shyness, though.

“I'm Stalwart.”

“Nice to meet you, Stalwart. My name is, well, you already know mine.” Abacus was making progress. He was standing taller, more relaxed- as much as one can perched on a tree branch. There was still a hint of anxiety, but the guard decided not to pursue that little lie, not now.

“That I do. You know, you're actually quite calm about this. I was told you'd be hysterical.” He nodded, throwing a small joking smirk. A little humour tended to defuse most situations easily.

“Like I said, I was just surprised, is all. I'm ready to come down, I just…er...” Ears pinned back, and he glanced down with a blush that stood out easily amongst the creamy coat. It was a look that Sweet Treat would have just loved to cure. With hugs, and cake.

“...Got stuck?”

Abacus’ sheepish chuckle was the most positive thing Stalwart had heard from the pony all day. He couldn't help the smile that crept up his face.

“Right then…let's get you down.”


What have we here?

“Oh, look, it’s that new pony again.”

A set of ears perked at the broken silence, eyes blinked and turning to confirm that it, indeed, was that very unicorn on the far side of the town square. The two changelings were walking together - as they usually did - at the end of their shift. A guard’s life is usually boring, especially on sentry duty, but no news was good news, as they say.

“His name’s Abacus, Dupe.” He blinked, the moment of excitement was fleeting.

“Okay, okay, no need to get all hive mother on me!” He threw his hooves up in surrender.

“Wha-I wasn’t being-” Stalwart sputtered.

“Relax! I was just joking.” Dupe gave his partner a light elbow in the side and resumed walking. “You seem tense today. What gives? Nothing’s happened.”

“I’m not tense.” The other changeling replied hastily. He frowned, glancing away. “...okay, perhaps I am. I’m just...”

He waved his hoof a few times in the air, formulating an appropriate answer. He instead settled for a shrug. “Does it have to do with what happened the other time?”

“What makes you say that?"

“I’ve seen you mumbling to yourself when you think no one’s looking, like you’re holding a conversation with a ghost.” Duplicitous stopped, pointing out the newcomer’s light coat easily among the buildings. “And the air around you just tastes awful. Embarrassment, doubt...there’s way more than those two, by the way.”

Stalwart pouted, instead choosing to inspect his hoof guards for dirt and debris. Due to standing on wooden planks for most of the day, they were clean.

“Just think I could’ve handled it better. It was going so well.”

“What, you mean seeing a stallion walk straight up a vertical tree trunk to carry you down is completely believable Earth Pony behaviour? After having just found out that the town you’re in is filled with half-bug creatures that probably won’t, but still could suck your soul out? I'd be so shocked I could just...fall over. ”

“Yes, I'm well aware.” Stalwart deadpanned.

Dupe’s smug smirk grew wider, as did Stalwart’s pout, grumbling a few choice words about the ‘ling’s ancestry.

“Let me guess, you’re gonna ask me to-”

“-talk to him? Oh, goodness no, I rather enjoy watching you drive yourself insane.” The glare the changeling received could have given his legs a few more holes. “Heh, well if you care about it so much, go say sorry! He's right there. But I don't think he'll hold a grudge. You did break his fall…”

Stalwart rolled his eyes and turned around without another word. Absently, he rubbed a hoof over his lower back with a flash of green as a gray Earth Pony began walking away in his place, mumbling some decidedly unfriendly words about his fellow Changeling.

It was a short walk, but for him it might as well have been a full marathon with how quick his heart was beating by the time he arrived. Abacus was looking away, inspecting the window of the only bakery in town.

Good, he still had time. By luck or skill Stalwart was too quiet to be noticed. All he had to do was think up a way to breach the subject without seeming like a creep in any way. Maybe-

“Oh! Sorry, didn't see you there.”

“Uh…don't…worry! I was just browsing.”

An eyebrow and stepped aside, giving the stallion a clear line of sight to Sweet Treat’s display window without him in the way. It was then that Stalwart realised he'd been ‘browsing’ a full pony’s length away from the window…with Abacus in the way.

“Anyways...are you alright? After what happened last time we met…” He coughed into his hoof to distract himself from the implication.

“Oh! Yes…” A sheepish smile grew on the unicorn’s face, cheeks tinged slightly red as he rubbed his flank. “I'm just fine, thanks for asking. And you? I hope I didn't hurt your face too badly when I landed on it.”

“Don't worry about it, you aren't the worst thing my face has ever been introduced to.” Stalwart did a double take, deciding to leave it be if Abacus didn't say anything. What he could taste, however…

“I notice some of the others were in disguise today. Partially.” His eyes flicked about to different parts of his body, like a mental game of Spot the Difference. “Warm Welcome and his group. It was nice of them to try and ease me into things. I'd like to say I'm ready to see you all as you usually are, but I don't think I can stop myself from flinching just yet.”

“What do you mean, you al-how did you know? I'm still in disguise.”

“Silly Changeling. Earth Ponies can't walk up trees.” He laughed, sweet notes of amusement in his voice.

“...Oh not you too.” The Changeling groaned. But did nothing to hide the growing smirk on his lips.

“Well, I was just going inside. Thought I'd try this one chocolate cake I keep hearing so much about. Would you like to join me? After you're done ‘browsing’.”

Stalwart turned, looking back across the town. Fittingly, Dupe had disappeared. He shrugged and held the door to the Sweetest Treat open.

“Okay. Lead the way.”


Conversation in a Respite café

Green eyes scanned the room, a quick glance between the faces at every table until they found their target; parchment white, inky red, and a wistful look into the distance reminiscing days gone by. The stallion walked up to him, coffee and muffin at hoof.

“Fancy meeting you here.”

Abacus pushed his glasses up his snout, looking completely unsurprised.

“This is the third time we’ve met here this week, Stalwart.”

Sweet Treat’s widow side table has gained a new pair of regulars during the week. Often Abacus would spend a great deal of the morning there, sampling the menu and sipping tea. And often Stalwart would come in, as an Earth Pony always, and stop to have a chat before his shift. A city pony like Abacus might raise an eye at such coincidences, but Respite was a small town, it was probably normal for one like Stalwart to cross his path so regularly. He was...probably...just concerned.

“And yet, I'm still surprised to keep seeing you.” Stalwart set his breakfast on the table, helmet settling down by the side soon after. He tasted the smooth creaminess without even taking a sip of his drink. “I take it you're settling in well?”

“Mostly.” Abacus was calm, his gaze returning out the window where foals and nymphs played.“I'm still getting used to the changeling...form. It doesn't make me jump anymore, but I'm still a little uneasy up close and personal. At least I don't stare anymore?”

He turned to face his companion with a half smile. The warm, fuzzy taste of happiness and gratitude.

“I've got your town's welcoming committee to thank for that, they've been a great help. And you too, of course.”

No sooner did the words leave his mouth did Stalwart almost drop his coffee in shock. Abacus laughed, and Stalwart’s face began to flush red.

“M-me? What have I done?”

“Staying in disguise so I could learn that changelings are just like anypony without focusing on their looks, of course.” Abacus folded his cream coloured hooves under his chin, wiping off a speck of cream from the treat he was sampling that day. He fixed Stalwart with a not-so innocent look and grinned. “I mean, that’s why you’ve been looking like an Earth Pony all this time, haven’t you?”

“Wait, wha...how did you…?” The other stallion’s ears pinned back, cheeks now well and truly burning. How he wished his preferred pony form had a redder coat! The sweet joy of being personally responsible for such a change wold be forever marred by the sour embarrassment and teasing he would surely get at being called out. The guard’s ears could pick up the whisper of chittering and giggling in the distance, it might have been too soft for anyone else around to hear, but his reaction spoke much of what Abacus must have been saying. “Y-yes! That's exactly what I was planning. Although I guess I'll need to brush up on my deception be-because…”

“Heh...it’s fun seeing you like this. You're blushing like a colt with his first crush!” Abacus chuckled. “I think I can see why the foals here like pranking so much…”

Righteous fire built up deep. In Stalwart’s belly, his pride and honor as a Changeling was taken and shattered right before his very eyes! Even if it wasn't public, no good ‘ling would ever take such a slight lying down.

‘The damage has been done. It's over.’ A new smile threatened to take over. One of mischief and cunning, not shame and sheepish humiliation. ‘He's been integrating into Respite well. Let's speed up that process…’

“Alright, I admit it. You had me there. But l think it's time for you to get introduced to another part of how we do things around here, just in case you didn't know already.” Stalwart planted his forehooves on the table and leaned forward, grinning, so close Abacus could count his teeth if he wanted. “You've just called out a changeling on his act and won. Congratulations, well done. But beating a ‘ling at his own game, well, that's a challenge. So - I believe it's only fair to inform you - this means war.

Stalwart punctuated his declaration with a very un-pony-like growl to his voice, flicking his now forked tongue just that it barely touched the tip of the unicorn's nose, turning Abacus’ eyes into pinpricks before taking his helmet and walking off like nothing happened.

If he stayed a moment longer, perhaps took the time to get a proper taste of the emotions in the air, then he might have tasted the hint of fear that flashed from Abacus the moment he turned the tables. If he spared another glance on the way out, he might also have seen the pony wondering why he was suddenly sweating.


(Water) Pistols at dawn

As tradition dictated in conflicts arising from slights against one's honor, it is the right of the offended to set the terms, make the opening move. At least, that's what Stalwart figured how things went.

“Hey there. You know, I've been thinking, and I think I'm ready to go all the way.”

So, such pretenses went out the metaphorical window of Sweet Treat’s store the next time they met, Abacus’ line delivered with such seriousness Stalwart momentarily put aside whatever duplicitous plan the second he heard the solemn words.

“Are you sure? It's going to be a big step for you.” Stalwart set down his plate and cup on the table, the bitter scent of his usual coffee helped him wake up, even though the brew itself was sweetened and creamed past the point of diabetes. His eyes focused on the unicorn's completely serious looking face, the mote of caution in his actions beginning to disappear under vested interest.

“I'm sure as much as I was when I chose to come to this town. But that's not the point. Stalwart-” Abacus gripped his hoof and looked deep into his eyes. “-I want you to be my first.”

The Earth Pony looking changeling quirked his brow at the other stallion, looking down and up multiple times from his hooves his face. Abacus’ face maintained focus, and sadly unlike some of his dreams looking down and up again did not change the scene into a boat, produce an oyster with a pair of tickets to the Wonderbolts’ next show, nor turn them into a mass of gemstones.

“I'm flattered, Abacus, really, but…why me?” He wanted very much to give the tiniest lick of the lips, to find if what Abacus was feeling matched what he was showing. But that would be...unfair.

“I like you, Stalwart, I'm glad to be able to call you a friend, and these conversations we have with each other are wonderful - I'm asking you because I trust you personally.” The unicorn began massaging small circles into his hoof with a pleading look. “I am…pretty inexperienced with things like this, but I've been practicing! With how well we know each other I figure it would be right up your alley. I've prepared everything: music, candles for lighting, flowers to snack on after - we'll have to go to your place though, mine isn't exactly very private.”

“Actually just a comfortable environment will do there's no need for-okay, that's enough.” Stalwart’s eyes narrowed. “We…we are talking about the same thing here, right? You seeing an undisguised changeling up close and personal, in the chitin and all that?”

“Well if there isn't going to be anything in your chitin I'm going to owe Vigil some chocolates.” Sweet Treat herself came up to the table and replaced Abacus’ pot of tea, who nodded in thanks. “Did you even hear yourself just now?” she clicked her tongue, sighed, and walked away. Disappointment was all that remained.

Stalwart took a moment to consider what was said, and his face morphed into one of slowly dawning disbelief and horror.

“The look on your face!” Abacus laughed.

“Oh you are just devious…” he muttered. “Alright. How do you do it? Most ponies don't jump into things this quickly, it's like a whole ‘nother you.”

“Couldn’t have done it without her.” The unicorn shrugged. “Though the real reason is because the games you play here are a lot like the kind schoolfoals play.”

“Oh?” Just one probing question would be all he needed. More information about your target never hurt, it just meant more ammunition. Plus, it'd satisfy his curiosity. So far their talks were hardly personal.

“I used to be a teacher for a group of older foals. Games, pranks like this happened in my class all the time.” He glanced wistfully out the window, out to the empty spot the foals and nymphs usually met in. “I loved the look of wonder in their eyes when you showed them something new, when that struggling colt finally understands and connects all the dots in his head, when a filly comes to you after class for extra material. Those kinds were my favourite. But there were way too many who thought they needed school just because their parents told them to, or because they heard it’s where the money is. Add to that a school administration that pays too little for expecting so much, and my own parents who didn't like my career choice and…and...why are you looking at me like that?”

“Oh, nothing~” He said in a sing-song voice. “I think you should get into teaching again, though, if that's what makes you happy. Love knows we could do with a more experienced one than who we have now.” Stalwart did a quick look around. “Anyway…”

“Well thanks for that, I appreciate…it. Oh. Goodbye then.”

Stalwart finished the last of his meal and made haste to leave. If he let the grin threatening to break out through then Abacus would definitely become suspicious. He just hatched his plan for revenge.


Advantage: Abacus

Red eyes blinked away the glaring sunlight, as parchment hooves stepped onto the grass, faintly damp with the drying morning dew. Abacus stepped out of the door to Queen Euphoria’s wondering how long he spent with the Changeling matriarch, for when he entered the sun had only just begun to rise.

“Hey, Abacus. How did the meeting with Phory go?”

“Hm? Oh, hi there, Cool Breeze. Things went fine, she asked me about getting a house again, I told her I'd think about it. Maybe. It always feels like I'm… interrupting something whenever I walk in to see her though. No offense, but it just…”

“Makes you uncomfortable? Don't worry, you know she wouldn't take offense to anyone asking to be more…professional.”

“Oh, no, no, it's not like that at all! You've been nothing but nice to me here, the least I can do is get used to it. Anyway, I won't hold you up, we've both got things to do...”

With a mutual nod, the Pegasus went in through the door as the Unicorn stepped aside to ponder events transpired.

As always, of late, the topic of extending his stay to a more permanent one came up. While Abacus couldn't deny the - much more attractive - way of life, the beautiful forests and falls in the town’s proverbial backyard, the ever friendly townsfolk, there was still some apprehension. Few commitments were left behind for him in the city. Apartments were easily sold, belongings easily packed and brought over, he could practically even have a job lined up if he just said a word! Logically it was a sound decision with benefits way more than liabilities. Emotionally-

“Hey, Abby. How did the meeting with Phory go?”

Abacus blinked at the familiar voice. Before him stood Cool Breeze. Again. He twisted on the spot, looking behind through the doorway and back again.

“Cool Breeze? Didn't you just get here? I could swear you…”

“Hm? Did you say something Abacus?”

The unicorn turned around to find…another Cool Breeze. He blinked, looking back and forth between the two Pegasi briefly before the realisation set in.

“Stalwart!” He growled at the Cool Breeze by the door.

“Nice try, Abby, but no.” Stalwart’s true voice came in right into Abacus’ ear, the sudden warm breath making him yelp and begin to turn red, practically teleporting away from the now undisguised changeling. Part of him felt bad shocking him like this, but he wanted to get him used to it. It was one thing to reveal himself from a disguise that somewhat resembled his natural form, especially with the other prepared for it, but another thing to do so by complete surprise.

It was for his own good, really.

“Heh. Have fun, you two.” chuckled Cool Breeze as he turned back and headed inside as the door swung shut.

“So! I believe the current tally is…21:4. Advantage: me.” Stalwart grinned. Which to Abacus his fangs would have drawn all the more attention to the smugness of it all. Good thing for him that he couldn't taste emotion.

“Nope! You didn't reach me before the real Cool Breeze did!” The unicorn folded his forelegs indignantly. Delicious.

“That wasn't the point and you know it.” Stalwart was quick to note that Abacus could be very cunning when he put his mind to it. Fortunately for him the stallion’s focus did not extend to passive awareness. A weakness he was quick to exploit. “You know what this means…”

“Yes, yes, truth. Ask your question.” Abacus sighed. The bite of defeat left a taste in his mouth he figured would be what Stalwart himself would taste - if it wasn't drowned out by his own smug victory. “Mind if we walk first? At least I won't be revealing my secrets in public.”

“Of course. After you.” Stalwart gave a mock bow to let the unicorn pass before trotting off alongside him. “M’stallion. Or would you rather I call you something else?

“Such manners. Verily, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” Abacus said flatly. Not-so secretly, he somewhat enjoyed such frank discussion with another. It was such a far cry from the city, being able to be so open in public(ish) conversation. He had no doubts that Stalwart could tell he thought so as well. Being a changeling probably helped with that. As did the not-at-all angry smirk on his face.

The silence settled between them as they walked the path across town. Not to anywhere in particular, but because it was the longest track without having to take a turn. Stalwart took this as his cue to start.
“So, we never really talked about our pasts much, so far. You seemed real troubled when you first got to Respite. How's that been going for you? It looks like whatever got you so down isn't bothering you so much anymore.” Stalwart considered himself a good member of the Caretakers, and considered not prying about any pony's reasons for visiting the village a natural extension of the tenet ‘You shall not feed without permission’. He liked to shorten it to simply: ‘Don't be a nosy arse’. It flowed off the tongue better than Old Ponish, and being plain nosy was simply a prerequisite for being a resident of Respite.

Naturally, this meant that the relatively touchy topic of Abacus’ past and issues were a matter best approached with tact and caution. In this case, a running wager to truthfully answer the other’s questions after mildly scaring the metaphorical pants off of each other.

“Hm? Well, living here has done wonders for me. Maybe it's just being able to throw off the stresses of big city life, but living here has been its own slice of paradise.” Stalwart couldn't help the smile that grew as he passively soaked up the joy Abacus was radiating. Few changelings could pass up on free food like this. “Actually, it turns out that the change of pace was just what I needed, and having someone to talk freely about things helped me let go of things I never even knew I held onto.”

“Oh. So…I guess that concludes your visit then? You'll be going back?” As much as the Changeling was aware of the unicorn’s temporary arrangements he couldn’t help the usual tang of sorrow at the prospect of seeing him go.

“Back to that place? I'm…still figuring that out. It's been nice here, very nice. There isn't much keeping me there, honestly. My apartment, my job, the few friends I have.” Occasionally Abacus would pause and turn to wave at a passing villagers, but he'd always turn right back to the conversation. To Stalwart. The changeling in question noted a few coy smiles and waggled brows in their direction, but he had more important matters to attend to. “I could settle things really quick; move out, send in my resignation, a visit or a letter to the ponies I know would worry…though most of them would probably encourage me to leave anyways. ”

“And your family? What about your school? Your students?”

The unicorn cantered forward on autopilot, eyes on the trail. Stalwart was beginning to wonder if he would keep talking if he slipped away. “My family? They live far away. We're not that close, and they didn't approve of my career choices. As for my class, I actually don't have one anymore. Not for weeks.”

Abacus took a second to register his companion had paused, and was looking at him with an inquisitive brow. “What? You saw how I was when I first got here. I can make bad emotional decisions too, you know.”

“I didn't say anything!” Stalwart raised his hooves in surrender. “It hardly looks like it was a bad decision for you.”

“Fair enough.” As the sun reached its zenith for the day the two found themselves under the shade of one of the many large trees in the middle of town. “What about you Stalwart? I always talk about myself, but I don't know that much about you.”

“Hey now, that wasn't our deal.” Black chitin rested on bark decades older, as Stalwart lazily observed the youngest of the village in their usual antics. Some of them waved to him, he waved back. “One question for one time we get one over the other. And answer for that topic till it's done.”

“Consider this a loan, then. I'll pay you back.” The unicorn's lighter coat stood out on the edges of his vision as he sat down next to him. Stalwart could feel the hairs tickling his chitin, the edges of his cheeks already flushing black. At the implications of payback. “Its just a question about the rules. Why do you do this? The pranking, the betting.”

“Well I figured the traditionals with water balloons, magic coat dyes, and artillery pastries would've been overkill.” Stalwart shrugged and tapped his chin with his hoof. “I wanted to do my part to make you feel like you fit in here, I suppose. We're all big on having fun with each other here, and every changeling who's been to the city knows how things can be. After seeing how you were when you first got here…I guess I wanted to show you that changelings are just like anypony else.”

“So how has it been going?” Abcaus shifted his hoof until their forelegs touched. His red eyes shone behind his glasses as he began focusing on the changeling next to him. “I don't jump at the sight of changelings out of disguise anymore, I'm sitting next to one right now. And I'd say you look as handsome as any other stallion, even with the fangs and tongue and holes and…yeah.”

Green and red eyes met for but a second, and both looked away just as fast. Stalwart felt the small rush of a black hit his face.

“Well...I would say you've been adjusting just fine. Maybe you'd like to-”

“INTERRUPTING CHANGELING!”

The unicorn squealed, drowning out whatever cry Stalwart would have made. Hanging from a tree branch was a rather infamous blue nymph.

“I don't think that's what mister Stalwart meant by ‘surprise me’, Aspire!” Another nymph with pink for her mane called out.

“What are you talking about Esalen? He looks plenty surprised to me!” The young male folded his forehooves across his chest, still hanging from the tree branch.

You did this?” Abacus hissed, hoof clutched to his chest as he looked to Stalwart. “All that talk about easing me in and you use that to get one up on me?!”

The unicorn wasn't shouting, but the taste of fear turned to anger, hot and burning that the nymphs began to take a step back, lest they become targeted next. The taste of hot peppers made their eyes water.

“I-it's not like that!” Stalwart leaned back so far he fell off the tree. “Abby please-”

Don't ‘Abby’ me.” he spat. ” I trusted you, Stalwart. All I the things spilled to you and you just used it to…to…” he reared a hoof back.

Stalwart screwed his eyes shut, bracing himself for the hit he'd surely deserve. As sudden as it all was he couldn't help the tiny bit of guilt coming back. It was all his fault, he-

Gotcha.” The burning vanished and Stalwart felt a hard object compressing his muzzle. He opened his eyes. It was Abacus’ hoof. The unicorn leaned in with an oh-so-smug smirk.

“Did you really think I'd get so worked up over a little thing like that? One more for me.” He chuckled. It was a short laugh, but full of meaning. For one of the nymphs, she would forever remember it as Abacus’ ‘evil laugh’, and it would haunt her arithmetic nightmares.

As the unicorn walked away, Stalwart kept blinking, a sudden heat rising to the tips of his ears.

“B-but…” he sputtered, trying to parse the event like an accountant with the books of a for-profit charity. He settled for flopping to the ground and groaning into his hooves. For the number of times that he managed to pull a fast one over Abacus, those moments of fleeting superiority were completely tarnished by the ones he didn't win. “Ugh! That's not fair! Even when I'm winning, he always manages to take the fun out of it! Again!”

“I believe the phrase for this is…uh...quality over quantity?” Aspire shrugged.

“Are you okay, Stalwart? You're looking like my dad does whenever mom looks at him like a hungry manticore over dinner!” Esalen, however, had her mouth curled in a grin that so earned the infamous siblings their name.


Truce? Date? Same thing.

Usual patrons of the Sweetest Treat (so the whole town, really) would have easily noticed one of the windowside tables for two have been rather consistently occupied in recent times. And more noticeably the certain pairing of pony and changeling that was so often seen there.

As one of the newest arrivals Abacus and his initial skittishness towards the Caretakers of Respite’s true forms was understandable, but his quick acclimation to the sights were a surprise, if only for the ‘ling that catalysed it. Stalwart was usually the quieter type, for a villager of Respite. So his suddenly common appearances with Abacus, both in disguise and out, as well as their “subtle” prank war and usage of the nickname ‘Abby’ meant questions were going to be asked.

Being mostly changelings, they ranged from “I wonder if he's going to stay here” to “Is he drinking love off tap now” - but being fully mature adults, the gossip was regulated to background events and inconspicuous overhearing. Which is why more than a few pairs of ears were turned to the same direction.

“I want to call off this wager of ours.” The unicorn’s sudden change of subject caught Stalwart’s ear, the leafy green of his magic setting down his coffee mug loud enough to practically echo like a drop of water in a cave puddle.

“Huh? Why do you say that?” Stalwart licked his fangs, a habit he was happy to oblige without worrying about any more adverse reactions. Anticipation, nervousness, excitement.

“Well, I've been thinking about things back home and I…well, I'm not sure how to put this without sounding weird-” He scratched the back of his head, looking down into the remnants of his latest tryout; a cinnamon apple turnover “I think I'm going to stay here.”

“What made you come to that decision? I'd thought you still had a few commitments back in the city.” The changeling’s tone was concerned and supportive, but he couldn't help the joyous smile creeping out.

“Like I said, it wouldn't be much trouble to take care of those if I wanted to. I feel like I can start over here, do more than I used to.” Abacus turned to look out the window, the Neigharga Falls visible above the treeline. “Respite just really seems that much better. Queen Euphoria has practically guaranteed me a job - even with a smaller class in a quiet town like this the freedom I'd get is worth it, getting a place would be cheaper too, and I've already gotten offers to help move.”

“But really, it's who I've met here that counts most.” He looked back to Stalwart with a smile that woke the changeling up more than coffee ever did. “Everyone's so nice here, I've made better friends here than the same amount of time I spent after I moved into the city. The air here is fresh and clean, there's a simple joy and wonder in here that I haven't found anywhere else. And, well…there's you.”

“Me…?” Stalwart felt a minor flush at that, but let the unicorn continue, lest he leave some flattery unsaid.

“I like to think I've become a little better as pony since I came here. And I owe that to you. Besides, I think I don't really mind a changeling's natural look anymore, I find it's rather…exotic. This look fits you better than that Earth Pony face you used to wear.”

“So, long story short you want to call our deal off as it is because you're thinking of moving here and don't wanna deal with me scaring the magic off you multiple times a week.” He shot Abacus a ganged, knowing grin. “That's going to count as a forfeit, you know.”

“Yes, yes…you're leading by a mile.” Abacus sighed.” But before you claim your prize, do me a favour? It's just one question. Something unrelated but I've always wanted to know the answer to.”

“Okay, shoot.” He shrugged.

“Sometimes I can't help but notice that your ears turn black as your chitin in this form, - aha, there it is again! Why does that happen?”

“W-well…” Stalwart began rubbing his ears with a hoof. To his dismay the warmth under his chitin proved Abacus right. Now, one does not become a village guard via idiocy, he was perceptive enough to pick up on the possible hidden meanings of his friend's words, but if anything, now was an ideal time to…test the waters. “It's a natural bodily reaction for changelings. We're not that different from ponies in some respects…so the analogue for you would be, well, like blushing.”

“Like...when you get embarrassed blushing? The foalhood crush kind of blushing?”

“Yes.” Stalwart doubled down on his namesake and took the plunge.

“So this whole time you were…?” and now it was the unicorn’s turn to stammer.

“Mhmm.” He nodded. A few painfully eternal seconds passed, he planted his hooves over each other on the table - it was better than rubbing them like he was trying to start a fire. But a changeling's instincts are a hunter’s at heart, and his told him to pounce. “Abby, would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight?”

“What, like…a date?”

A small smile broke out on Abacus’ face. Then a larger one, growing to a dumbstruck grin all while looking into the other’s eyes as the puzzle fell into place. The air had grown still.

“I'd love to.”

Cheers broke out from the rest of the store. Confetti was produced out of thin air, hooves stomped in applause and drinks were clinked in celebration.

“Oh for love’s - you were watching us this whole time!?”

“Well it wasn't hard, ‘Stal…you're a lot less attentive when you're with him. It's high time you two went on a proper date.” Duplicitous pointed out from the closest table.

“What, you mean like every other time they've been here?” Vigil spoke out from behind the counter before squeaking. “Ah! Not in public Sweetie!”

Sweet Treat released the changeling’s ear from her mouth and shook her head disapprovingly before calling out to the two.

“Don't spare the details of the night after! I've got two dozen chocolates on the line here!”

[End]

Author's Note:

Stalwart and Abacus were two characters that didn't get much elaboration in Respite, outside of a few lines about how Abacus was real skittish when he first arrived, and how he first met Stalwart after getting stuck up a tree. Honestly, the near total freedom when it comes to writing a story like this is quite paralysing.

This was all just for practice, so I'm not super proud of it, but feedback is hard to get if you don't share your work, so here it is.
Personally, I'm not too sure about leaving the headers in (not without better names), but it'll help with organisation regardless.

Comments ( 12 )
Ri2

While this was a good story, it feels like this should have been split into multiple chapters rather than one big long thing. Still, great tale!

It needs a little polish to clean up a few errors and missing words, but other than that, it seems like a good, solid story to me. Even if I don't like same sex pairings, this was well written. Neither of the characters were portrayed as flamboyant, for which I thank you. The stereotypical homosexual being flaming and flamboyant is REALLY annoying. This felt more balanced, more organic and real. This focused on the individual rather than throwing the orientations of the characters in the reader's face. Despite my general dislike for same sex couples based on my spiritual beliefs and so forth, I ernestly enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading more works by you. To date, this is only the second gay story that I greatly enjoyed. The other involves a certain blue artist Earth Pony and his opera singing Gryphon boyfriend. Canvass and Troy are the best gay couple, but this is second place. Well done.

Beautiful!

I'd love to see more of this!

well done , a nice side story to flesh out the respite -verse

9104538
Can I get the name of that other story please

9108565 I may not like gay stories, but I LOVE well-written ones even more. This falls into both categories.

[Stalwart & Abacus hanging out, mentions desire to get back into teaching]

Methinks this was meant to be a note for yourself?

9128265
yeah, thanks for pointing that out

So, I’ve had this bookmarked for a while, and finally got around to reading it. I really enjoyed it, and definitely want to see you write more of these two. (I think side stories like these might actually be better than the main story, but that’s just me)

Login or register to comment