• Published 23rd Sep 2018
  • 5,996 Views, 1,468 Comments

Playing House - Krickis



When Sunset learns about problems in Fluttershy's home life, she invites her friend to live with her instead. For Fluttershy, it’s a shelter from the storm she lives in fear of. For Sunset, it’s the hope to be part of a family for the first time.

  • ...
33
 1,468
 5,996

PreviousChapters Next
38 – Day by Day

Chapter Thirty-Eight
Day by Day


There was no sense of the future anymore. Life came day by day, each one bringing what it brought to Sunset. Some days she and Fluttershy were on top of the world, completely in love and willing to do anything to make things work. Some days they were a thread away from breaking up again, and that thread wore thin.

The same feeling invaded everything Sunset did. She would spend time with friends when they were around, but she didn’t plan for it. She would go to work and deal with whatever that brought her when it came. Every day was taken as it came with whatever it brought, one day at a time.

Today was work. Nothing exceptional, although a fight with Fluttershy earlier in the day had left her in no mood for the usual wear and tear that work brought her. Every interaction was a constant effort, and she wondered how she could manage to keep it up for the whole day.

Of course, she did. Somehow she managed to keep going through every draining interaction, forcing herself to do so because even living day by day, she needed this job.

All she wanted to do was wrap up the tail end of her shift and go home, which of course meant that she wouldn’t be allowed that. One of her coworkers approached her while she was at the register. “Sugar Breeze wants you in the stockroom, I’ll take over here.”

Of course. Of fucking course Sugar Breeze wanted her. They hadn’t spoken more than a few words to each other in the two months since Sunset had yelled at her, and she’d finally let herself get lulled into a false sense of confidence that the whole thing was put behind them. Maybe that had been Sugar’s plan all along.

Regardless of whether Sugar had sinister intentions or not, Sunset didn’t have much of a choice. She was still a manager, and Sunset was stuck at her beck and call. She left the register to her coworker and made her way to the back of the store.

She kept her head down as she walked through it, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone lest they decide to ask her for help. She paused as she reached the stockroom, taking a moment to steel herself for whatever the hell Sugar wanted her for.

Deciding that putting it off longer wouldn’t make it better, Sunset pushed open the door. Looking around, she was surprised to see Sugar was sitting on a box with her phone out. She hadn’t taken that long to get there.

“Hey,” Sunset said. “What’s up?”

Sugar didn’t look up from her phone. “You looked miserable up there, figured I’d give you a break.”

That would be amazing, if only it was an actual break. A break from work to do a different kind of work with someone she didn’t like was no break at all. “So what’d you need me to do?”

“Nothing.” Sugar gestured with her head towards a nearby box. “We’re out of camera here. Just come relax for a bit.”

Sunset obliged, but she kept her eyes focused on Sugar. “My manager wants me to stop working off-camera. Yeah, this is a trap.”

Sugar grinned and put her phone down. “Even if it was, it’s a shitty one. I’m telling you to take a break. If anything, you’re obligated to now.”

That almost got a smile out of Sunset. If she trusted Sugar just a little more, she wouldn’t dare question it. “Okay, so in that case, why?”

Sugar shrugged. “Like I said, you looked miserable. I’m not as heartless as you think I am.”

Sunset finally thought she understood. “Oh, so you don’t want me looking miserable for customers.”

“No, you’re pretty good at faking it when customers come in. I really don’t have any ulterior motives here, Sunset. I’m just trying to be nice.”

“Okay.” Sunset looked around, too wary to try pulling out her own phone just yet. But with nothing else to keep herself preoccupied with, she soon decided that it wasn’t ‘okay’. “Actually, no. What gives? I yell at you, you don’t even say anything about it for two months, then you decide to be nice out of nowhere?”

“Yeah, I could have done without getting yelled at in front of the whole store,” Sugar said, though she didn’t sound too bothered by it. “But it helped put some things into perspective. Figured you out a little better. So I decided to let that slide, and this is a peace offering.”

“A peace offering?”

“Yeah. Look, I’m not really cool with this whole you being mad at me thing, but I see where you’re coming from. So I’m trying to bury the hatchet. Extend the olive branch. Do some other clichés. You know?”

Sunset couldn’t help but smirk when she realized how much Sugar had thought this through. “And you brought me back here to do it in case it doesn’t go well again.”

Sugar fidgeted. “Well, we couldn’t lounge around on the sales floor. But yeah, I won’t say that isn’t a part of it too.”

It seemed that Sugar was a little embarrassed to admit that, but Sunset didn’t mind at all. If anything, she could appreciate a well thought out plan. “Smart.”

“So… you’re not gonna start yelling at me again though, are you?”

“No. Sorry for that, by the way. No matter what messed up stuff I was going through, I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.”

“It’s alright. I’m sorry for everything that happened to you. Sounds like life’s been really rough for you lately.”

Sunset nodded. “This past year has been awful.”

They were quiet for a while, and Sunset eventually pulled out her phone when the silence got to be too much. It wasn’t that she still felt angry with Sugar, at least not right now. It was just awkward. They had a lot of weird history together and yet they had no real foundation to start a normal conversation.

It seemed that Sugar was trying to build one, though. She was the first to break the silence. “Why do you work here, anyway?”

“Well, see, every two weeks they give me money.”

Sugar chuckled. “Well, yeah. But I mean, why aren’t you in a better job? After what you told me that day, I pulled your employee record. You’re right, you should have gotten the management position. Lucre had no reason to deny it.”

Sunset laughed. “Oh, he does, it’s just not a good one. See, I used to date his nephew. Back then, the way he acted towards me would’ve made you think he planned on giving me the store one day. Then I broke up with him, and Lucre never forgave me.”

“Wait, he doesn’t like you just because you don’t date his nephew anymore?”

“Well, to be fair, I was kind of a major bitch during the breakup. But yeah, that’s the gist of it.”

Sugar shook her head. “Okay, so setting aside the fact that that’s workplace discrimination, it just goes back to my original question. What the hell are you still here for?”

Sunset shrugged. “At first, I was just too apathetic. It was a job, I was just out of high school, felt like it didn’t really matter where I worked. Then I thought, you know, if I started actually trying to get promoted, I had a solid shot at it.”

“Then I came along.”

“Then you came along. Now, I really don’t know. I was in a shitty place at the time, and I guess it was just easier to stay here while I tried to sort out the other stuff going on.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s fair.” Sugar was quiet for a moment before she added, “I… maybe I shouldn’t ask but…”

“But you’re going to anyway.” Sunset knew it could only be about Sky or Fluttershy, and would sooner just get it out of the way. “What do you wanna know about?”

“How old was your daughter?”

“She wasn’t born yet. Fluttershy, my girlfriend, was pregnant.” Sunset shook her head. “I was going to propose to her and everything. I got the ring that fucking day. And then… then it all went to hell…”

Sugar reached out for her, then thought better of it and pulled her arm back. “Geez… I’m so sorry, Sunset.”

Sunset took a deep breath. “Anyway, we got back together over the holidays. So maybe things are looking up.”

“Yeah, that’s great! Glad to hear something is finally looking up for you.”

Sunset scratched at the back of her neck. “Maybe, but I think it’s a little soon to tell. We’ve been together again for like a month, and we’re already back to fighting. We got into an argument before she left for work this morning, which means she’s back at her sister’s…”

“Ouch. Sounds rough.”

“Yeah…”

Sugar Breeze put away her phone and stood up. “Hey, I got a better idea. It’s time for me to get out of here, wanna go get a drink or something?”

As much as that sounded nice, Sunset shot Sugar a perplexed look. “Uh, you do know I’m nineteen, right?”

“We could get coffee or something.”

“That sounds cool, but I’ve still got like half an hour left on my shift.”

Sugar shrugged. “Just don’t clock out. It’ll look like you just forgot to clock out on your way out the door and I’ll edit the logs to clock you out when your shift ends.”

“Going a little far for a peace offering, don’t you think?”

“Not really. But feel free to stick around here and work if you want.”

Well, putting it like that made the decision pretty easy. “Alright, let’s get out of here then.”


To Sunset’s surprise, she enjoyed spending time with Sugar Breeze far more than she thought she would. The two of them had gone to a coffee shop that Sugar liked and were sitting across from each other. It was simple, just chatting and getting to know each other for the first time since they’d both grown up, and it was nice.

Especially because Sugar seemed to be as fed up with Lucre and his store as Sunset was. She didn’t have Sunset’s years of experience working under him, but as a manager, she did work more closely with him.

“And the way he talks when you’re trying to schedule vacation time? You’d think you were asking for his first-born son.”

Sunset laughed. “Come on, some woman would have to find him worth screwing for him to get a son.”

That made Sugar laugh as well. “You wanna know something gross? I think he’s been trying to come on to me.”

“What?” Anger flashed across Sunset’s face. “He’s your boss, never mind how much older he is. What the hell –”

“Jesus, Sunset, relax. I’m a big girl, I can handle someone like Lucre.”

Sunset looked down at her coffee. Earlier in the day, she never would’ve imagined getting upset on Sugar’s behalf. Now she needed to be told to calm down. How quickly things changed.

“Anyway, it won’t matter much longer anyway,” Sugar said, then took a sip of her coffee. “I’m leaving the store in a few months.”

“Oh yeah? What’s the plan.”

“Got a job offer up north. I might’ve turned it down if this job was working out better, but Lucre’s expectations are too high on top of him being a creep.”

Sunset nodded. “Good for you. Guess that explains today, huh?”

“Yeah, I wanted to leave things with you on a better note.”

Sunset smirked. “I meant that you wouldn’t be this open if you were keeping the job.”

Sugar laughed. “Yeah, you got me there. I figure the worst they can do is fire me, and at this point, that won’t be much of a setback.”

“Yeah, that makes sense. Glad to hear you’re getting out of there. You deserve better.”

Sugar leaned across the table and smirked. “You sure you don’t just want to try and move into the open management position.”

Sunset laughed. “Well, it would be nice. But I doubt that Lucre will actually give it to me, even if I am the obvious choice.”

“Yeah, you’re right about that.” Sugar frowned. “You should leave too. You’ve got, what, four years experience?”

“Five.”

“Look, at your age, do you realize how much dedication that shows on an application? It doesn’t even have to be retail, you’re gonna get like whatever job you apply for as long as you qualify. Have them contact me instead of Lucre, I’ll give you a hell of a recommendation.”

Sunset looked down into her coffee once more. It made sense. What the hell was she sticking around for? “You know, maybe I’ll do that.”

“You better. A girl who can sit around reading dictionaries is too smart to stay in such a dead-end job.”

Sunset blushed and hid it as best she could by drinking some of her coffee. “Come on, what do you even remember that for?”

Sugar laughed. “You were like, the weirdest kid, you know that?”

“Yeah, I know. In more ways than you could even realize.”

“How’d you fare after I left New Horizons? Ever get adopted?”

“You kidding?” Sunset asked with a smirk, determined that if she was going to be the butt of the joke, she was going to be the one making those jokes. “Who in their right mind would’ve adopted a kid like me?”

Sugar brushed her hair behind her ear. “I don’t know. You could’ve chilled out as you got older. You seem a lot better now, at least.”

“That happened in high school, when I was already out. I got myself emancipated from the state and got my own house before graduating.”

“Oh yeah? That sounds pretty sweet.”

“It was weird, but eventually worked out for the best, I think. That’s how Fluttershy started living with me. She needed a place to crash for a bit and I was the one who didn’t have any parents or anything to worry about.”

Sugar gave her an odd look, and Sunset wasn’t sure what it meant until she spoke a moment later. “You really love her, don’t you?”

Sunset smiled softly. “Yeah. I do.”

“Then you’ll make it work.” Sugar grinned. “As long as you approach your love life with a better attitude than you approach work. No getting complacent and letting things go poorly just because it’s what you’re used to.”

Sunset folded her hands together and quirked an eyebrow. “And what makes you the one to five me romance advice? What, are you in a great relationship?”

Sugar snickered and blushed a little. “Well, no. I’m not seeing anyone right now, but my friends all say I give good advice!”

To be fair, Sunset’s go-to person for any kind of advice had never even been in a relationship before. “Well, suppose you’re right in any case. Things haven’t been going great, so… maybe I should do something about that. Only wish I knew what.”

“Well, what kinds of things do you fight about? Maybe I can help?”

‘Everything’ may have been the accurate answer, but it wasn’t really going to paint the picture of a relationship worth saving. “Well, recently it’s been about her job. She was on track to become a veterinarian, but she’s decided to ditch school in favor of being a manager for this local band.”

“Hmm, that’s tough…” Sugar drummed her fingers on the table in concentration. “It’s not a smart career move, but you don’t want to just talk crap about her choice, either.”

Sunset nodded. “Exactly.”

“If she’s willing to fight you over it, she must be passionate about this. Maybe ask her to set a time limit? If she can’t make it in the industry by next semester or something she goes back to school.”

“Huh, that’s not a bad idea.”

“Told you I’m good at advice.” Sugar grinned confidently.

“Yeah yeah,” Sunset smiled and rolled her eyes. “Thanks. I’ll probably do that.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“So, what about you? How’d you make out after New Horizons?”

“I did pretty well. My parents are great people, raised me in a nice household and everything. My dad has a restaurant, hired me and trained me as management almost right away to get that on my résumé, which is how I got this job.”

“Ah, that explains how you had ‘more experience’ than I did.”

Sugar nodded. “Your retail experience really still should’ve outranked mine, but you know. Lucre’s a dick.”

Sunset grinned. “That’s for sure. Hey, did you and Dew Drop stay in touch? I saw you together at the funeral.”

“Not too much. We tried for a while, but our new families lived on opposite sides of town and we were young. We were getting caught up at the funeral. I… may have convinced her not to try and talk to you.”

Sunset laughed. “Yeah, that’s fair. You didn’t have any reason to think I might want to talk to her. And… I don’t really know if I would’ve, you know? We weren’t ever friends. I was closer with you than her, and you know how much that says.”

Sugar snickered. “Yeah, I know.”

It was strange. Normally Sunset hated talking about New Horizons. And yet, here she was not only talking about it, but with someone from New Horizons at that. Stranger still, she found she didn’t mind. If anything, it was kind of nice to open up about that part of her past with someone who had been there.

They talked about things, people, and events that they remembered from growing up. Checked in with each other if they knew whatever happened to so and so, usually finding that they didn’t. Neither of them kept in touch with other New Horizons kids after leaving, but it was fine. Sunset didn’t think she really cared what the answer was, it was just nice to ask the questions.

They carried on for long enough that they had to get refills on the coffee, which made for a nice distraction from going home to an empty house. Still, there was only so long they could sit around a coffee shop for.

“I should get heading home,” Sugar said after a while.

Sunset drained the last of her second cup of coffee. “Yeah, it’s getting pretty late. This was fun, though.”

“Yeah, I’m glad we did this.” Sugar stood up to go, so Sunset did likewise. “See you tomorrow?”

Sunset nodded. It would be nice to have a friend at work for a change. “Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

They walked out of the parking lot together then said their goodbyes. All things considered, Sunset felt pretty good as she got on her motorcycle. She put on her helmet, which helped cut out some of the cold, then started her engine, kicked up the kickstand, and drove off.

Despite the cold, she took the long way home. Her empty house didn’t exactly call to her, after all. She thought about going to Applejack’s for dinner, but it would be short notice and she didn’t want to impose. Really, what she should do is call Fluttershy and see if she wanted to talk, but she didn’t want to make things worse than she’d left them in the morning.

So she drove back to her empty house, where she would make herself a frozen meal or something and try to while away her time. She could always drink until she passed out, which was a sure way to make the night shorter and less miserable, but she was trying to keep her drinking low.

She parked her motorcycle in the shed, locked it up, and quickly made for the house. She was so eager to get out of the cold that she fumbled with her keys and dropped them, cursing loudly as she had to stop and pick them up.

As soon as she finally had the door open, she was through it. She sighed and enjoyed the relative warmth of her house, taking off her heavy jacket so she could replace it with a lighter sweater.

But as she walked into the living room, she stopped. To her surprise, Fluttershy was there looking back at her.

“You’re home late,” she said, then turned back to the TV. She had a glass of wine that she was sipping on.

“I didn’t think you’d still be here after this morning,” Sunset said, making her way to the bedroom. She hung up her jacket and found some pajamas to change into.

“I didn’t say I was leaving,” Fluttershy said from the living room.

That was true, but she often left without saying so. How was Sunset supposed to know this time would be different?

She didn’t say that, though. Things already seemed tense enough without adding that to it. She just got dressed silently, putting on a sweater over her pajamas and warm socks to keep the cold out.

When she stepped out of the room, she took another look at Fluttershy. She was sipping wine, and she’d brought the bottle with her. Sunset stepped into the kitchen to grab another wine glass, then came out to sit on the couch with her.

Some movie or something was on. Sunset didn’t recognize it, but she didn’t really care. She held out her wine glass, and Fluttershy filled it for her.

They drank silently for a while. Sunset wanted to bring up what Sugar had suggested, giving Fluttershy until the next semester to try out this band manager thing, but she wasn’t sure the best way to get on such a sensitive topic.

Instead, she opted for an easier one. “So you’ll never guess what happened today.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Went out for coffee with Sugar Breeze.”

Fluttershy looked at her in confusion. “Isn’t that the manager you hate?”

Sunset smirked. “Yeah. It was pretty surprising, but we’re getting along now.”

“That’s nice. What brought that on?”

“She’s moving in a few months, wanted to patch things up before she went. She’s the one who was at New Horizons with me.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right.” Fluttershy sipped her wine. “I’m glad things are working out better for you two now.”

Sunset nodded. “She said what I already knew. Golden Lucre hates me and won’t ever promote me. Says I should find a new job.”

“You should. You’re too good for them, Sunny.”

“I think I will.” Sunset took a drink of her wine. It was a good way to transition into talking about Fluttershy’s job, but she waited. It was nice to talk about something without fighting for a change. “So how was your day?”

Fluttershy told her about what she’d been up to. She’d gone to work herself before Sunset did, and she’d also had a hard day. A call-out left extra work for Fluttershy, and they had a few people bringing in their former beloved pets, either no longer able to take care of them or no longer caring to, which was always hard on the animal lover.

And unfortunately, Fluttershy didn’t have someone like Sugar Breeze to save her from it. Sure, she usually got along better with her coworkers than Sunset did with her own, but when everyone was having the same miserable day that only helped so much.

“Sorry to hear that,” Sunset said with a frown. “But at least you’re home now, you can relax.”

“Yeah…”

Sunset refilled her recently emptied wine glass then leaned back and sipped it.

“Oh, I’ll be gone tomorrow,” Fluttershy said. “There’s band practice. Last one before Wednesday’s concert.”

Sunset never understood why Fluttershy had to go to every band practice, but she didn’t question it. That was a sure way to start problems. “Okay. Are you coming back here after?”

“I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes, I guess.”

Sunset just sipped her wine. She should just leave it alone, but maybe it would be best to get it out of the way. At the very least, she could bring up the idea. “So, I was thinking… If nothing pans out for the band by the time school starts in the fall, what do you think of going back to school then?”

“I… I don’t know.”

That was fine, Sunset reminded herself. It didn’t have to be an immediate yes, it was good enough that it wasn’t an immediate no. “Of course, it’d be amazing if something worked out for the band. But if nothing’s turned up by then, well… Eventually you’ll want to do something else, right?”

“I guess so. Only…” Fluttershy looked away. “Maybe not so soon? Things could take a while, you know?”

Half a year didn’t sound very soon to Sunset. As far as she was concerned, this was already a compromise between the obviously better solution and Fluttershy’s daydream of following Rainbow to stardom. “It’s just, you know… It’s not gonna get easier to go back to school by waiting longer.”

“I know that… But I really think Bitchette can be something great, Sunny. I… I think I can help them get there.”

Sunset winced. She took a sip of her wine before she said anything foolish, then chose her words carefully. “I know if anyone can do it, you can. But… I mean, you know punk isn’t even a huge genre anymore, right? Listen to any radio station, and you can tell it’s on the decline. It’s all about that alternative stuff these days.”

“I know that,” Fluttershy said testily. “We all know that. But in this day and age, you can get by with a smaller following. You don’t even need radio play if you catch on with a dedicated crowd. A lot of punk bands still do pretty well.”

“I’m just saying it’ll be harder. It’s not enough to be good, you’ve got to be insanely lucky too.”

“I want to at least see where this goes. And I’d like it if you would support me more.”

“I do support you!”

“You try to get me to change my mind almost every day!”

Sunset winced. That wasn’t far off from the truth. “I’m not trying to get you to change your mind here. I just want to make sure you’re thinking it through. It’s a compromise.”

“I don’t need to compromise my future with you.”

Sunset gritted her teeth. “I mean, if I’m gonna be part of it, you kind of should!”

“I don’t want to keep arguing about this with you.” Fluttershy stood up. “I’m going to bed.”

Sunset just folded her arms and waited silently as she went. She wasn’t sure how she expected this to go, but she had hoped it’d be better than that.

Only when Fluttershy was gone did Sunset react. She held her head in her hand and groaned, leaning back and letting herself sink into the couch. Why the hell couldn’t Fluttershy just see that this was a terrible idea?

She pulled her hand away and looked at the TV. She still had no idea what was on, but it didn’t matter. She let it play all the same.

Day by day, time went by. Day by day, Sunset did whatever she could think of to pass the time and spend as little of it as possible dwelling on her situation. Today, that would be watching a movie she didn’t care about.

Well, not just watching a movie. Grabbing the wine bottle, she refilled her glass.

Author's Note:

This story needs more Sugar Breeze. She’s surprised me by being pretty fun to have around in it.

PreviousChapters Next