• Published 23rd Sep 2018
  • 6,011 Views, 1,468 Comments

Playing House - Krickis



When Sunset learns about problems in Fluttershy's home life, she invites her friend to live with her instead. For Fluttershy, it’s a shelter from the storm she lives in fear of. For Sunset, it’s the hope to be part of a family for the first time.

  • ...
33
 1,468
 6,011

PreviousChapters Next
36 – A Good Mess

Chapter Thirty-Six
A Good Mess


Sunset had grown used to the sound of Fluttershy’s voice mail. In the past two days, she had heard it enough that she could speak along with it. She wondered if her calls were doing more than annoying her girlfriend, but then, Sunset needed to get a hold of her. She needed to make sure that Fluttershy still wanted to be her girlfriend.

Two rings, and then something unexpected happened. Instead of her voicemail, Fluttershy herself finally answered her phone. “Hey, Sunny.”

“Fluttershy.” Despite her worries, Sunset’s mouth curled into a smile at the sound of her voice. “How are you?”

“I’m, uhm, fine. I’m sorry I didn’t answer you before.”

“It’s okay,” Sunset said quickly. “I’m the one who should be saying sorry. That’s why I’ve been trying to call you. I want to apologize for the other night I… I really made an ass of myself.”

“You… kind of did…”

Although it was obvious to anyone who had been present, hearing Fluttershy agree stung. “I’m sorry. And you were right, I knew it would cause an argument. I just… I let the things Rainbow was saying get to me, and…” Sunset sighed. “That’s not an excuse. I acted awful and I’m sorry.”

“I know that Rainbow can be… difficult.” Fluttershy’s tone grew harsh as she addressed someone other than Sunset. “Don’t give me that look, you know it’s true.”

“Is Rainbow with you now?”

“Yeah. We’re working on the demo recording.”

“Oh. Of course, I should have figured.”

“I should get back to it. I’ll call you later, okay?”

It wasn’t the definitive answer that Sunset wanted, but at least there would be a later. “Yeah. Call me whenever.”

“Love you.”

Sunset’s heart soared. There was the answer she needed. “I love you too, Shy.”

“Talk to you later. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Sunset hung up and collapsed on her couch with a grin. Fluttershy had unknowingly given her exactly what she needed. It would have been nice to have made plans for when they’d meet up next, but that could happen later.

Which just left Sunset to figure out what to do with herself. She didn’t have work, and she’d kept her schedule open in the hopes that she might spend the day with Fluttershy.

Well, that wasn’t happening. Sunset didn’t mind having a lazy day to herself exactly, it was just a matter of trying to decide what to do with it.

She got up and walked to the kitchen. She could make something to eat, it was about lunchtime. She opened her fridge to see what she had on hand. Something caught her eye, but it wasn’t food.

There was a bottle of bourbon, which Sunset had no doubt would help her pass the time. She pulled it out and examined it. About half full, which was more than enough to get her feeling pretty good.

But then… “Love you.”

Nah, she’d save that for another time. She replaced it and instead grabbed a frozen meal out of the freezer. She put it in the microwave, started the timer, and took a seat while she waited.

It wasn’t like there weren’t things she could do. Visiting Applejack was always an option, although Sunset had visited her a lot recently. Pinkie was usually happy to meet up as well, assuming she wasn’t busy with working.

But when it came down to it, Sunset just didn’t really feel like heading out. Just a lazy day inside, no need to overthink it.

The microwave beeped and she took her meal to the living room couch. She turned on the TV and browsed around for a bit before deciding on something to watch. She lay down as much as she could while eating and enjoyed letting herself relax for once.


Sunset may have relaxed a little too much. She woke up sore from sleeping on the couch and had to brush crumbs off of her clothes. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, then reached for her phone to check the time.

Two hours. Hopefully the unplanned nap wouldn’t be enough to keep her awake into the night; she did have work in the morning to worry about.

Since she had her phone out already, she opened up her texts and found Fluttershy at the top of her recent contacts. She tapped her name and typed up a new message to send her.

‘Hey Shy, I know you’re probably still busy, but I just thought maybe you’d be breaking for lunch sometime soon and might want to call. Keep kicking ass in the studio! Love you!’

She sent the text and set her phone back down. Since the TV was already on, she grabbed the remote and flipped through some channels. She had to smile as she caught the beginning of the movie that she had watched with Fluttershy on Hearth’s Warming Eve. It was a little strange to catch a Christmas special a couple days into the new year, but she decided to leave it on.

Paying more attention the second time around improved the movie considerably. She didn’t even wind up minding the religious stuff at all. Sure, it wasn’t something she could personally believe in, but she could accept it in fiction easily enough.

The movie killed another two hours. Sunset was surprised at the length of it; it had seemed much shorter when she’d been drinking and only half paying attention. When it was over she stood up and stretched, then got her phone again.

Nothing new from Fluttershy. Sunset hoped she’d just been too late to catch her for lunch, and that Fluttershy hadn’t skipped it completely. She decided to send another text.

‘Finally caught that movie we watched the other night. You were right, it was really good!’

Sunset looked around the house for something else she could do. It wasn’t hard to find something – it was all around her, after all. The house was a mess, and it was past time she did something about that.


The fact that Sunset was wiping sweat off her brow was a testament to how hard she was working. Sure, Applejack and Fluttershy had finally convinced Sunset to use her insurance money to fix her heater – it was either that or let them help pay for it – but as usual, Sunset didn’t have it on very high. The house was chilly enough that Sunset usually kept bundled up inside, and yet, she was sweating when she finally stood up from scrubbing down the shower.

It was tempting to just jump in her nice clean shower and rinse that sweat off, but first she decided it was time to sit down with a glass of water. As she did, she noticed that it was getting pretty late in the afternoon. Before too long, the sun would be setting.

She checked her phone again while she sat. Nothing new, of course. She would have heard it if Fluttershy had texted or called her, but still, Sunset had hoped she’d somehow missed it.

Once again, she opened her texts to Fluttershy and typed up another.

‘Got a new appreciation for when you used to clean lol I don’t know how you did it all the time! I just got done cleaning the bathroom and I’m BEAT =p’

She hit send and regretted it immediately. She hoped that Fluttershy wouldn’t think she was trying to guilt her for not being around to clean anymore. She briefly considered sending another text to clarify, but she decided against it. Right now there was a chance she had made things awkward, but if she did that, she would for sure.

Sunset sighed and downed the rest of her water. She decided to take that shower after all.


Sunset held her phone out with her right hand and threw up the devil horns with her left. Her guitar was strapped around her and she propped it up with her left arm. She grinned and snapped a picture.

Letting her guitar dangle, she checked the picture. It came out pretty good, so she opened her text messages and added it as an attachment.

She hesitated before doing anything else. She’d already sent Fluttershy multiple text messages, and none of them had gotten a response. She was probably just annoying Fluttershy by this point.

She set the phone down and strummed a few chords while she tried to think of what to do. It had been a while since Sunset had played her guitar. She’d gotten plenty of practice when she was giving Fluttershy lessons, but then let all that practice go to waste after the accident.

But being bored at home had her rapidly running out of options, and music had been on her mind since the other night.

Wait, that gave her an idea. Sunset grinned as she picked up her phone and added a message to the text.

‘You can tell Rainbow she inspired me to dust this thing off for a bit of practice lol’

There. If she included a positive message for Rainbow, there was no way Fluttershy would be annoyed. Sunset sent the message.

Of course, that didn’t guarantee a response any time soon. Sunset decided whether Fluttershy replied or not, she’d sent enough messages. As much as she wanted to reach her, she wasn’t doing herself any favors by showing just how desperate she really was.

Besides, Fluttershy had said she’d call later. True, it was already evening, but there was still time for her to do just that.


Fluttershy wasn’t calling. It was already ten o’clock, and Sunset had work in the morning. There was nothing else to do but face facts and resign the day as a waste.

She changed into pajamas and brought her phone into the bedroom. She didn’t need to check it to know there were no new messages; there hadn’t been any all day, after all.

She did use it as she lay down, but not to text Fluttershy. Instead, she opened her photos app, and she scrolled through pictures.

Rainbow’s concert. The band was on stage and even though she couldn’t see it in the photo, Fluttershy was on her arm.

Christmas. Fluttershy was playing her newly painted guitar while everyone else sang along.

Oh god, Christmas Eve. Why hadn’t she deleted that picture Apple Bloom had taken?

She kept scrolling. Lots of pictures, lots of memories. It didn’t take long before there was a noticeable lack of Fluttershy from the months they spent apart. Even when she got past that, they hadn’t been in a very photogenic mood for some time before the breakup.

Although once she was through that period, there were tons of pictures. Every single one of them hurt, but Sunset couldn’t bear the thought of not having them. Pictures of her and Fluttershy when they had actually been happy, back before they’d lost Sky and all their hopes with her.

There were even pictures of the ultrasounds – photos Sunset had taken to text people who couldn’t be there to see them in person. Her little Sky, at one point the center of her world…

Sunset wiped away a tear and opened her texts after all. It was stupid, but this was the closest she could come to talking to Fluttershy. It wasn’t good enough, not really, but Sunset didn’t want to feel so alone.

‘Hey, sorry for all the texts. Promise this is the last you’ll hear from me tonight. I don’t mean to be a pain or anything, I was just really excited to talk to you. I know you’re busy though, I just hope to hear from you soon. Mainly I wanted to say I love you and good night in case you’re still up.’

Sunset hit send and sighed. That was it. That was all she got.

Her phone battery was low from constantly checking it all day, so she dug out her charger. She plugged it in and set it on the bedside table, then turned off the light. Maybe tomorrow would be better.

She barely got herself comfortable in bed before her phone rang. She bolted upright, knowing that the upbeat folk song only played for one person.

“Hello?” Sunset said as she answered, smiling before she could even hear Fluttershy’s voice.

“Hi, Sunny,” Fluttershy said. “Sorry for calling so late…”

“No, it’s okay. How’d recording go?”

“It was good. I think making a new recording was the right idea, this is much higher quality than any of the stuff we already had on hand.”

“That’s great! I’m sure Silver Song is going to love it.”

“I hope so.”

“Trust me, I know what I’m talking about here.”

“Oh? Since when are you a music industry expert?”

“Oh, Shy… I’m an expert at everything. Haven’t I told you?”

Fluttershy giggled. “Okay, if you say so.” Her tone became a little more resigned as she continued. “Uhm… I was wondering if maybe you could come and pick me up? I know it’s really late, but… I’d really like to see you.”

“Really? Of course I can. Are you at Rainbow’s?”

“Yeah. I’ll, uhm… I’ll pack some stuff to stay the night then?”

Even if Fluttershy couldn’t see it, Sunset imagined she’d be able to hear the smile in her voice. “That sounds perfect. I’ll head over now, so see you in a few.”

“Okay. See you then.”

Sunset hung up the phone and jumped out of bed. She quickly dressed again, paying no mind to the fact that it was late and she had work in the morning. In fact, fuck work, she was calling out. Fluttershy was more important.

She threw on her jacket and helmet before stepping outside. At least Fluttershy would have her own helmet this time around; it was freezing outside, and Sunset did not want to leave anything exposed on this drive.

Times like this really made Sunset miss the car… But a little cold was worth it to finally get the chance to spend some one on one time with Fluttershy again. And this time, Sunset was going to make sure it was perfect.

The roads were icy, so Sunset had to take it slow along the way to Fluttershy. It was miserable, but she got through it by reminding herself that she’d have Fluttershy holding her tightly on the return trip.

It was enough to keep her going, at least. The trip took twice as long as usual and felt even longer, but eventually, Sunset reached Rainbow’s house.

She had to take off one of her gloves and her helmet to call Fluttershy, which she regretted immediately. But she figured it was too late to knock, so she didn’t have much choice.

“Hello?”

“I’m outside,” Sunset said.

“Okay, I’ll be right there.”

At least Fluttershy hadn’t invited her in. It would be nice to warm up a little, but she wasn’t keen on the idea of Rainbow staring daggers at her some more. Besides, the sooner she got home with Fluttershy, the better.

True to her word, Fluttershy was out just a moment later. She was bundled up for the ride and brought a backpack with her. Her helmet was under her arm, so Sunset could see her smile as she walked up.

“Hey, Sunny.”

“Hey, beautiful.”

Fluttershy blushed and kissed Sunset. Once they pulled apart, she wasted no time in putting on her helmet, so Sunset followed suit. She mounted the bike and took hold of Sunset, giving her a thumbs up to show she was ready.

Just as she had expected, the trip back was much better. It wasn’t like having Fluttershy hold her actually made her any warmer; any heat Fluttershy’s body generated was whipped away by the wind before it could work its way through Sunset’s clothes. But she felt warmer, as she always did when she was with Fluttershy. Or maybe she just noticed the cold less. It didn’t matter. Sunset was smiling the whole way back.

Not that she wasn’t thrilled to get back home, of course. Sure, it was nice having Fluttershy hold her, but she could hold onto her inside without all the cold.

Sunset didn’t bother taking off her helmet when she parked and dismounted. It helped keep some of the cold away from her face, which beat the awkwardness of walking around with it on any day.

Sunset led them inside, where she kicked herself for not thinking to raise the thermostat before going out. Still, coming in from outside, it was warm enough to provide them with some welcome and much needed relief.

Taking off her helmet, she smiled at Fluttershy. “Not much of a ride, but at least we’re here, right?”

Fluttershy did likewise. “I’ll let you know when I can feel my toes again.”

Sunset chuckled and raised the thermostat after all. It was too late for the extra heat to welcome them back with its warm relief, but it would help them dethaw a bit.

“Want something to drink to help get you warmed up?” Sunset asked.

Fluttershy frowned a little. “Uhm, what did you have in mind?”

Sunset was going to suggest wine, but Fluttershy’s reaction made her reconsider. “I could make us some cocoa, if you want.”

Fluttershy smiled at that. “Cocoa sounds great.”

Sunset pulled off her gloves and celebrated her victory at picking up Fluttershy’s hints before she could make a mistake. She’d made more than enough of those recently. She got out two mugs and filled them with powdered hot chocolate mix and milk, then put them in the microwave. It wasn’t fancy, but at least it was fast.

She served them and they moved to the living room, where it was a little warmer. “So did you get through recording the new demo?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “We’re taking our time. Even if this doesn’t go well, I found a website that makes high quality CDs on demand, so we’re going to order some and sell them at shows.

“You’ve really been giving this band your all, huh?”

“Yeah… They’re really important to me.”

Sunset took a moment to blow on her cocoa and think her words through carefully. She really didn’t think it was a good idea for Fluttershy to go galavanting around the country when their relationship was still fragile, but she didn’t want to start another fight.

“I won’t pretend that I’m happy that you might be going on tour with them. But… I know it’s your decision.”

Fluttershy just blew on her cocoa silently.

Sunset took a small sip of hers. “And, you know, I’m open to figuring things out either way.”

“Let’s… not worry about that tonight? Please?”

Sunset nodded. “Right. Sorry. It’s not even a sure thing right now.”

“Not just that. I just… I don’t know what I want to do, but I need to figure that out myself. Right now, I just want to enjoy our time together.”

“I can get behind that.” Sunset smiled and put an arm around Fluttershy, which made her smile as well. “So what changed your mind? I kinda figured you didn’t want to talk to me after New Year’s…”

“I was mad about that,” Fluttershy admitted with a wince. “But… after I slept on it, I really did want to come see you.”

“Really?” Sunset frowned. “Then why didn’t you answer my calls?”

“Because… I’ve been scared.” Fluttershy took a small sip of her cocoa, then went back to blowing on it. “Things got so confusing when we first got together. I didn’t want to rush into anything again.”

Sunset didn’t think that answering a phone call was rushing into anything, but she didn’t want to contradict Fluttershy. “So then why’d you decide to come over tonight?”

“It just got too hard. Being apart from you, I mean.”

Sunset liked the sound of that. At least it meant she wasn’t the only one who felt that way. And really, she did understand. “You know, I’m scared too. I don’t want to do anything to lose you again.”

“And I don’t want to lose you either.”

Sunset smiled at her. “Well, I think we’re off to a good start then, right? We both want to work on things and do better this time.”

Fluttershy smiled back. “Yeah. You’re right.”

“So… is there anything you think I should do differently to make things work better this time?”

“I…” Fluttershy hesitated for a moment, taking another sip of her cocoa. “Well, I think drinking was a problem.”

“Yeah, I kinda thought you might say that.” Sunset took a drink of her own cocoa. “And if it’s what I have to do, I can stop drinking again.”

“I don’t want that, though. I like drinking together. It’s just… I don’t think you would’ve acted the way you did the other night if we hadn’t been drinking.”

“Yeah, that’s probably true.” Once again, Sunset was glad she had passed on offering wine. “I’ll be better. I promise.”

“I know you will.” Fluttershy leaned against Sunset as she drank her cocoa.

So Sunset would just have to watch herself when she drank. And it was probably a good idea to not drink with Rainbow around anymore. In a way, it would’ve been easier to stop drinking completely, but it wasn’t anything Sunset couldn’t handle.

Suddenly Fluttershy laughed. “Although, I guess it doesn’t matter in the end.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, the first time we slept together, it was because we were drinking. Now we’re sober and we’re not supposed to be rushing into anything, but here I am at our house again…”

Sunset chuckled. “Would it be better if we didn’t sleep together?”

Fluttershy looked at her and rolled her eyes. “Right, because that’s going to happen.”

Sunset just grinned back. “Seriously. If you want me to, I’ll even sleep out on the couch.”

“I didn’t come over tonight to sleep alone, Sunny.”

“Fair enough.”

Sunset sighed, but she kept her grin. “We’re a mess, aren’t we? We want to take things slow, but we can’t stay apart.”

“Maybe. But we’re a good mess.”

“I can agree with that.”

They were quiet for a while, enjoying each other’s company while they sipped on their cocoa. It was nice, just being with Fluttershy. It had been great to see her over Christmas, and seeing her on New Year’s had been good until it turned bad, but it was something completely different when it was just the two of them.

Her cocoa was about half gone by the time she spoke again. “Hey, Shy? Do you… still believe we can last forever?”

“Oh… I… I guess I want to.”

Sunset winced. “Sorry, I shouldn’t put you on the spot like that. It’s just… something I think about a lot.”

“Having these tattoos is kind of a constant reminder of that.”

Truth be told, Sunset had another reminder tucked away, but she knew Fluttershy wasn’t ready for that. “Yeah. Do you regret getting them?”

“I don’t know. I guess a little. I’m… I’m sorry, but I’m less sure about… forever these days. Sometimes it feels like the idea of forever is just something I’ve moved on from. Life changes too much to ever think anything can last forever.”

“That’s completely understandable. I’d be surprised if you didn’t have doubts.”

“So then… you too?”

Sunset hesitated. “I’m… also a little less sure. But that’s more so because I’m afraid I might screw things up again.”

“You’re not the only one to blame for what happened.”

Maybe that was true, but Sunset knew she did have the bulk of the blame on her shoulders. But again, it wasn’t worth arguing about.

By the time they drank the rest of their cocoa the house was nice and warm. They set the mugs down on the coffee table and kicked off their shoes, then Sunset pulled Fluttershy closer to cuddle on the couch a little.

That made Fluttershy giggle. “You know, we could just go to bed.”

Sunset grinned. “In that much of a hurry to get me out of my clothes?”

“And into pajamas. I never said what we’d be doing in bed.”

“Fair enough.” Sunset planted a kiss on Fluttershy’s lips. “Although I wouldn’t mind if something happened between getting out of my clothes and into pajamas.”

“Oh?” Fluttershy seemed to study Sunset. “And have you been a good girl to deserve a reward like that?”

“I… cleaned the house today?”

Fluttershy laughed. “Oh my. Well… I guess that’s pretty good.”

They kissed again, and Sunset couldn’t help but smile. “So do I have you to myself tomorrow?”

“No…” Some of Fluttershy’s smile fell away. “I still have to go back to the studio for more recording. We need to get this wrapped up in a week, after all.”

Sunset nodded. “Right, of course. So then should we head to bed? It’s getting late, and you need to be up in the morning.”

Fluttershy grinned. “After all that talk about a reward? I’m sure you want me in your bed for reasons other than sleeping.”

Sunset laughed, although she didn’t like that it was now ‘her’ bed. Not when it had been ‘their’ bed only months before. “Like I said, we don’t have to do anything like that tonight.”

“And I said I didn’t come here to sleep alone. Now shut up and let’s make this a night to remember.”

Sunset was pretty sure that no matter what, she would remember this night well. But she obliged by putting her lips to Fluttershy’s, and had no complaints when her girlfriend’s tongue worked its way into her mouth.

It didn’t take long before they made their way to the bed, both of them giggling like school girls as each tried to undress the other along the way.

It would be a night to remember. Sunset was sure of that. But more than that, she was sure Fluttershy was wrong about one thing.

Forever didn’t have to be something that was behind them. Sunset would make sure of it.

Author's Note:

Look at me, letting these two be (relatively) happy instead of dragging out the drama :scootangel:

PreviousChapters Next