• Published 10th Aug 2018
  • 813 Views, 75 Comments

Never Lucky - Ferris the 1st



A stallion with a predisposition to uncanny luck finds himself in the middle a conspiracy that goes beyond Equestria

  • ...
0
 75
 813

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: A Crack in the Glass

My wariness of Martial's knowing smirk did little to deter me from testing the waters with Dawn. I was a little confused when she lead me out of the barracks and into a nearby park, but I wasn't questioning, it. I stayed by her side, trying to figure out the best way to break the ice, but Dawn beat me to it.

Sweeping her hoof around us, she asked, “Isn't all of this beautiful,” damn it, I missed a moment to flirt as she continued, “everything at peace in this moment. I admire the guard and all ponies that put themselves before danger and moments like this. How does it feel from the other side?” she inquired as she looked at me with those deep, caring eyes.

I wish I could say that my answer was quick in coming, but I was a little caught up in her gaze. In the end, I blinked and brought myself back to reality when she raised a brow at me, “I, uh... well...” I looked at the ground. I knew that I should at least pretend to be another suit of armor, but Dawn had this... aura around her. I didn't want to lie.

“To be honest, Miss Breeze-”

“Just Dawn, please.”

Score! I nodded, “Alright then, Dawn. If I was to be honest I didn't exactly join the guard willingly. I thought it was going to be just another terrible experience in a long line of similar instances, but... well, let's just say that my last mission put some things in perspective for me...”

“It was your first mission, wasn't it,” she smiled at my shocked look, “I do tend to keep tabs on ponies at the front of things. Your drill sergeant spoke highly of your abilities, but also mentioned that you had a tendency to hold back. Why is that, Lucky?”

I gulped as her innocent gaze bore into me. What was I supposed to tell her? That it was all a sham and that things just happened around me? Talk about a mood killer. I wanted to say something better, but there was that feeling, that sensation of honesty that made me want to tell the truth.

“I don't know,” my voice was a stranger in my own ears, “I suppose that I'm just... worried.” What was I saying? Why was I saying it? This wasn't right, I was talking nonsense! So... why did my heart ache at the words?

Dawn tilted her head, coming to a halt and forcing me to pause, “About what?”

Hundreds of thoughts burned through my head. I was confused and scared because it felt like something was coming up, boiling inside of me. I was angry and I didn't know why. All of it culminated in a panic that shot through my mind and just as quickly I felt myself go numb.

“...it's nothing. Just foolish thoughts.” I murmured instinctively.

Dawn wasn't buying it judging by the frown that came to her muzzle, but she didn't push me. I'm glad she didn't. I wasn't sure I could answer her. My head hurt and I felt exhausted emotionally. I didn't know why.

Dawn nodded slowly, “If you're sure... Lucky, I know the circumstances that lead you here. I know that through it all, you've blamed luck for everything that's happened, but... well, according to the incident reports, you chose to go save those foals and Silent Stroke. There's something more to that than luck,” she turned, starting to walk away, “think about that for a while, Lucky. I'll be keeping my eyes on you.”

I snorted in confusion, “Th...that's it? I thought you wanted to talk to me about something?”

Pausing, she looked over her shoulder at me and smiled, “We did talk and I got what I needed... for now.” Chuckling softly, she continued away and I couldn't help but admire her as she left, though I hated to see her go. What, I'm a stallion, I notice things!

Her words stayed with me though and I found myself unconsciously starting to canter along the stone paths of the park. I wasn't sure why, but I found myself going over and over my own thoughts. I kept trying to figure out why I had said the things I did and yet all it caused me was frustration as I looped back again and again into confusion.

Something was missing, but it wasn't and I couldn't put my hoof on it. My canter became a gallop. Things felt better as I focused on the clatter of my hooves on the stone and I didn't even realize how long I'd been going until night fell around me. Moving on instinct, I went to the barracks and collapsed into the familiar mattress and fell asleep.

**

Oddly, I dreamed. I say oddly despite how most ponies do so because I never remembered dreaming before. I sat alone in darkness, staring into a hovering mirror that forced me to look at myself. When I looked away, the mirror moved into my vision again and something about the stallion looking back at me made me squirm.

His eyes were firm, full of a fiery determination. He was me, but he was not. He was everything that I was not: strong, wise, fearless. I didn't want to look at him because of the panic his gaze filled me with. Moments before I woke to the new day, he uttered six words to me that stabbed terror into me

“Why are you afraid of me?”

**

I'd never been so eager to get up for a morning run. While I was no longer a trainee, it had long since become a natural thing to do. It also gave me something else to focus on besides the fear still clutching at the corners of my mind. For a time, I felt that I could outrun it.

Then I tripped... again.

Thankfully, I managed to simply cartwheel forward and land hard in a sitting position and feeling dizzy. It took me a long moment to recognize the angry thestral mare in front of me. I blame the fact that she was wearing her special sunglasses like the kind Stroke had.

Martial was staring down at me with a frown, “Auxiliary,” she started, snapping me back to reality long enough salute, “it's come to my attention that your skills in hoof-to-hoof and weapon combat are... lacking.” Well that was about the mildest way she could have put it. I mean, sure, basic training had taught us how to not hold a weapon, but it hadn't been the highest thing on our list.

Taking my silence as an invitation to continue, Martial scowled and said, “No member of my legion gets away with such poor performance. At any other time, I would train you personally,” sweet Celestia, no, “but I'm a busy mare right now...”

Thank Celestia...

“So I found you somepony who could take over for it.”

Luna, no!

“You'll be joining a small squadron stationed near Los Pegasus and assisting them with their current mission. While you're there, they have my personal clearance to make you a proper fighting stallion.”

Have mercy, sweet sisters!

I saluted, “Of course, ma'am.”

She gave me a moment to see a smirk as she returned the salute, “Keep that up, auxiliary, and I might start to like you,” her scowl returned, “...maybe.”

I'd rather keep this relationship strictly professional, thank you very much. I accepted the train ticket she thrust at me and went about preparing myself for the various trials ahead.

**

Arriving in Los Pegasus was an experience to be sure. Hailing from a small town, I'd been baffled by Canterlot, but even the great capital of Equestria had nothing on this city. Everywhere I looked were buildings meant to draw attention and performers that wanted nothing more than to be gazed upon. Food, drink, bits, and... other things changed hands more rapidly than I could even guess at.

Thankfully, one of my new co-workers was there to catch me before I got swept up into the city. I heard my named barked across the station by a fierce looking pony. I probably had a good couple of hooves on her in height, but she was absolutely full of vinegar.

As soon as I approached, I appraised the smallish mare. Built like a pegasus, but sporting the horn of a unicorn, she might have been adorable without the permascowl on her face. Apparently I just had that effect on mares in the guard. She was a light shade of green with a plum colored mane and tail. The slimmer type of armor she was wearing covered her Cutie Mark, but as I was looking her over, she reached up and yanked my head down to her level.

“Eyes to yourself, Rookie, or I'm taking first crack at you,” she commanded, “let's get this straight, I'm in charge of you,” she accented this by jabbing me hard in the barrel, “so no funny business. Lieutenant Cadence may take your shit quietly, but I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to kick your flank until it's firm enough to break a paddle across, got it!?”

What is it with all the mares I'd been meeting lately? Aside from Dawn, they all seemed to have something against me before I even said anything. I gave her a salute, but couldn't stop my mouth from running, “All due respect, ma'am, but I don't thi-”

The crazy mare kicked me. Like full turn, planting both front hooves, and bucking me like a tree. She must have been using a spell to enhance herself or something, because I wasn't that light, but she sent me skidding for several yards, clutching at my chest as I struggled to breath.

“First lesson, Rookie,” she said, ignoring the panicking crowd around us as she flashed a badge of some kind at the nearby security to stall their advance, “don't talk unless I ask you a question. Get up, I didn't hit you that hard,” she stood over me, glaring down at me as I stumbled to my hooves, “good, now grab your shit and follow me.”

Okay, maybe I'd pissed off the lieutenant and now she was trying to kill me by proxy...

“Rookie! Don't make me repeat myself!”

I was quick to grab my single suitcase and limp after her, pretty sure that one of my ribs was broken... if not more...

PreviousChapters Next