• Published 10th Aug 2018
  • 813 Views, 75 Comments

Never Lucky - Ferris the 1st



A stallion with a predisposition to uncanny luck finds himself in the middle a conspiracy that goes beyond Equestria

  • ...
0
 75
 813

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Homeward Bound

Lieutenant Cadence did not take the news well.

Sitting inside the structure that served as Lone Star's prison with a communication crystal in front of me, I could see by her projection how pleased she was with me. In three words, she was not. I'd been sitting there for a solid hour while she shouted herself hoarse while reflecting on the last few hours.

It turned out that the pony I'd sent with my message had crossed paths with a platoon of guards out on patrol. Said messenger had decided it might be a good idea to flag them down and give them my message instead of flying all the way to Canterlot for help and they had been all too eager to come running in search of glory after a pair of freshly rescued foals gave them directions.

As a whole, the cultists had been rounded up and were being taken to Manehatten's prison to stand trial there because, by word of law, the ponies of Springrun were too personally invested in the situation. Rightly so. As they were herded through town, the townsponies might have killed them where they stood.

The guards had searched the mine thoroughly for signs of the other missing ponies, but had come up empty. When questioned, the lead cultist had said nothing, but a few of the “followers” had been eager to offer information in return for leniency, but that was over my pay grade. Not to say that lead cultist didn't say anything, but his words had been directed at me.

“We know your name, Lucky Signs! When the eternal night falls, you shall be the first to suffer!”

That didn't exactly bode well, but considering that the old coot was going to be locked away for a long time, I don't think it was going to matter. After a series of tearful and heartfelt “thank you's” to both myself and Silent Stroke from Sunny Trails and Lone Star, we were left to our own devices.

Stroke was content to go get some rest, which left me free to go meet with a pony I was just now starting to understand...

Coming up to Digger's home, I found the stallion himself waiting for me with a level expression. Beside him, Onyx looked between the two of us with a worried expression as I came to a halt in front of them. Digger stared at me, a tenseness in his shoulders as he unconsciously put a leg between Onyx and me.

“Digger, if I was going to do something, I wouldn't be dumb enough to come alone... I just want some answers.” I locked eyes with him, trying to will him to believe me as I spoke. He searched my eyes for a long moment before his eyes glanced over so slightly to his his right. Finally, with a sigh, he nodded, “Ask your questions...”

I sat down, trying to get him to relax but, considering the nature of my questions, I could understand his reluctance. He ushered Onyx inside, wanting to talk to me alone as he sat across from me, still looking tense. I decided to just come out and ask, “How long?”

“Since I was born and well before I met Onyx's mother...,” He glanced to his right, ears flicking as if listening, “I suppose... I should be thankful, but... it just feels like something that has been years in the making.”

I nodded, “I feel like I should be asking forgiveness on behalf of the guard that it took so long. I may not be on their level and they may not like me, but the stallions I've been around during training? They're good ponies.”

A mirthless chuckle escaped Digger's mouth, “How could you have known? For generations it's been happening and would have continued for countless more if I hadn't run away... I suppose I should ask how you came to know the truth.”

I shrugged, “When a colt has a crush on a filly, they have a hard time not telling them things. Then the filly writes it down before getting foalnapped. Finally, an idiot, fresh out of guard training, stumbles on the writing and puts two and two together after a while. It didn't make sense for a while, but after thinking about it, it started to make sense.”

Digger nodded again, “Makes sense...,” he shifted, seeming to be reluctant to ask something, “tell me... what's going to happen to him?”

“With any luck, when he stands trial he'll admit to what he's done and Princess Celestia might send him down to Princess Twilight like she did with Discord...”

“...and without luck...?”

I sighed, “without luck... he'll stay quiet and... he won't bother you anymore.”

Digger's shoulders slumped slightly, “Don't take this the wrong way, Lucky,” he murmured softly, “but I hope some of your namesake goes with him... he may be a terrible stallion, but...”

I nodded, “Family. I get it. Celestia knows, I get it... but Digger,” he looked up at me, “you should come clean. He may have been the most prime to do it, but others might come to use your past against you.”

He was silent for a long moment, his gaze going between me and an unseen individual. He chewed at his lip thoughtfully, “...you really think that they'll be okay with it?” he asked.

“At first? No. It's gonna take a lot of work. You want my honest opinion? Go live in Ponyville for a while. It may not be the calmest of places according to recent history, but,” I smiled at him, “with a little luck, I think even an ex-necromancer could find a friend... if you haven't already found one.”

I held out my hoof. Kindness. It is one of the Elements of Harmony and yet so many of us forget to reach out once in a while and express it. It can mean the world to a pony or a group. I know that as I stood there with my hoof outstretched I saw it resonate in Digger, like a weight lifting off of his very soul as he clasped his hoof against mine and shook.

“I might just have... thank you, Lucky Signs.”

“You're welcome, Grave Digger.”

**

That brought us back to the present as Martial was winding down from her shouting, “I specifically told you not to engage the cult! I will have your tail as a feather duster, Lucky! I will have your head firmly tied to the nearest-”

“Ma'am,” intoned my stoic companion, “it wasn't Lucky's idea to engage the cultists...,” she stared at him, silently demanding an explanation, “when it appeared to be a single individual, it was me who opted to pursue. My capture was of my own recklessness and Lucky Signs was forced to react. Given the situation, I must say that our newest auxiliary acted well.”

Martial looked through the transmission at Stroke like he'd grown a second head. Sitting back in her chair way back in Canterlot, she pondered his words. She kept looking at me as if I was going to contest what he said, but finally she sighed, “...Lucky Signs... good work.” Hey, a compliment! If only it didn't sound like it had caused her physical pain.

I decided to just give her a salute because I didn't trust my mouth not to get me in trouble.

She returned it halfheartedly, “Both of you are to return to Canterlot. Silent Stroke,” the thestral sat up as much as his bruised body would allow, “you will be taking mandatory off duty time to recover. No exceptions. Lucky Signs,” I gazed up at her inquisitively, “you are to do the same, but when you return to Canterlot, a pony of high profile has requested to speak with you.”

...Why did that not help my nerves?

**

Returning to Canterlot was a bittersweet feeling. There was no mission on the agenda and for the first time, I was able to feel like a civilian again. My meeting with whoever had asked to talk to me wasn't until later in the evening and Stroke and I had arrived in the early morning a few days after clearing things up in Springrun.

I spent the better part of the day using my pay for working as a guard to investigate various eateries and shops that caught my interest. Of course, I stopped into the postal office to send a letter to my parents so they wouldn't worry. Of course, I may have glazed over some of the bigger details. They didn't need to know that my leg was still acting up from the rough treatment of my would-be assassin.

Martial had found it necessary to tell me that a number of the cultists being questioned were cursing my name.

I still felt like I was missing something. Based on what I'd heard, it seemed like most of the “cultists” had been nothing of the sort. Hopefully some kind of answer would come out during the interrogation. As much as it bothered me, it was above my pay grade.

Looking up, I noticed that the sun was slowly moving toward early evening and made my way back to Martial's office. I knocked on the door and was promptly told to enter. Her office was much the same as I'd left it, except another pony had the chair I'd occupied some time ago.

I'll admit, she caught my eye immediately. Pristine white fur, flowing pink mane, and a pair of deep magenta eyes. She was a pegasus and something about her felt... right. Somehow I managed not drool and caught sight of the sight of her Cutie Mark while... admiring. It was an image of air lines tracing across a partially obscured sun.

Martial cleared her throat, tearing my eyes away from the beauty before me. Groaning inwardly at my boss, I stepped in closer and snapped a salute, “Auxiliary Lucky Signs reporting as requested, Lieutenant Cadence, ma'am.” I stated as was required of me.

Martial stared at me for a long moment, probably wondering if I was mocking her. I mean, I did, just not to her face. She probably came to that conclusion as she gestured to the gorgeous mare nearby, “Lucky Signs, meet Dawn Breeze. She works with... management and wished to speak to you personally.”

Turning to meet her gaze, I smiled and gave Dawn a light bow, “It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Breeze,” I might have tilted my head and put on the charms as best I could, “unless it's Missus Breeze?” I asked casually.

The start of some angry retort built on the lieutenant's face, but she was stalled by Dawn's light laughter. Sweet Celestia, even her voice was perfect. She motioned for me to rise, smiling as she spoke, “Not as yet. I haven't been able to find a stallion able to make the cut. Would you mind walking with me, Mister Signs? I find a nice walk around Canterlot makes conversation lighter.”

“Absolutely,” I said, perhaps a bit too quickly as I moved to the door to open it, “do lead on, Miss Breeze.”

Dawn tittered softly as she swayed past me, “Such a gentlestallion. Come, let's find somewhere a bit brighter, shall we?” If I hadn't spent weeks in basic training, I might have jumped up and tapped my hindhooves together. I did shoot a sly smirk back to Martial however...

...Why did she smirk back at me?

PreviousChapters Next