• Published 9th Aug 2018
  • 473 Views, 8 Comments

The Frozen Land - jsk244



A research team loses contact with Equestria. Fearing for their lives, a rescue team is sent to the frozen land of Antrotica to find out why. But instead of saving ponies, they might just have to save the world.

  • ...
1
 8
 473

Chapter 3

Preparations for the journey of both teams took up most of their time afterwards, especially with time counting down for when the captain of their boat said he’d leave. A quick radio call at least confirmed that he would be there as planned, but there would be no pickup for Stark Winter’s group. They would have to reach the mountains, do what they needed, and then return to the research station to hold out until another boat could arrive in about two weeks. Thankfully the supplies were ample enough to allow for this, but some of the ponies were worried about what might try to follow them back when they did. Stark went outdoors often to scout and scan the local area for any signs of Frostwolves until the last minute, and when they set off thankfully the coast was clear.

The riverbed supposedly flowed up toward the mountains, so both teams picked this as their joint destination before splitting off. It would be perilous to traverse the jagged icicles and howling wind, but also it could shield them from any monsters roaming above on the tundra. As they climbed down and readied the sleds, hugs and farewells were exchanged by all, knowing that a chance existed that either team might not make it. Lupin was given a sword by Stark; how exactly the stallion had a spare hidden away nopony knew, but the unicorn lifted it in a salute and promised to keep his team safe. From there the rescue team and their support moved up the riverbed, their path widening as the ancient path laid out by the water deepened. It allowed for a small breather to their concerns, as some of the spires and formations looked to be so large and thick that not even the worst of the storm could shatter them. They were also more spaced out, letting them move the sled and themselves around the sides of vast pillars, even able to set up camp without worry of piercing the insulated walls.

Approximately two days later, long enough for the shorebound team to have made it safely to the boat, the mountains were at last in reach.

“By Celestia…” Spearmint breathed in awe. The mountain range shamed any that she had seen or heard of across Equestria. Not even the Macintosh Hills could compare, and they were able to rival Canterlot Mountain in some locations on the range. Their dark and snow-hewn cliffs rose up into the darkness and clouds, horrific shapes seen from the shadows dotting it to make them look even more uninviting and inhospitable. The only noises besides their own was the wind and rumbling clouds above, which flashed with lightning as the agitated atmosphere broiled with rage and fury. The wind howled with an unearthly wail hidden just below it, the tales confirmed as everypony in the team could hear it clearly now. A voice, filled with madness and lust for their deaths. It was no wonder that Dire Hilarity had gone mad, if this was all he could hear while slowly starving and freezing to death. It took everything she had to not turn tail and flee, but knowing her companions and friends needed her kept the pegasus firmly rooted on the spot. “We’re not going to climb those.”

“Agreed.” Stark shouted to be heard. “If there’s really passage to the other side of these, it must be down here, by the base. We’ll need to-”

“Split up?” Keen Sense suggested.

No. Splitting up now could be suicide. We’re deep into the territory of whatever’s making that...noise. We stick together, even if that extends our stay here at the mountains. We need at least four days to return to the station, so that gives us just under a week to explore.” They all nodded and took another look around the surroundings. “Whisper? Set up a relay crystal here so we have a point of reference.”

Nodding, Whisper pulled out a palm-sized crystal that would resonate and let them find this spot again no matter how far out they wandered. It would also act as a transmitter in case they did get split up, a precaution that everypony was happy they had. However as she lifted it in her magic and prepared to put it into a small inset on the cliff face, the wind grew still. Something that should have been impossible, especially when all of the startled ponies looked up and saw the storm still raging overhead. It was only at ground level that it had stopped, which made them all turn and brace their backs against one another in a panic.

And then the wind returned with a furious howl.

Screaming, Spearmint felt herself being yanked and pulled into the air by the storm’s rage before Stark Winter grabbed her leg and dragged her down. Keen Sense was also saved by Whisper and Slick Slush, but then Whisper seemed to be struck in the horn and fell to the ground. Doctor Absolut, similarly being struck, fell into Spearmint, who fell into Stark, but the winter warrior remained standing and grabbed them both. Lightning flashed above, far too close and loud to be safe, but then if the storm’s sudden ferocity was not bad enough, Stark managed to pick up one last sound among the cacophony. The howls of a Frostwolf pack.

“They know we’re here!” He cries, helping Whisper up with a strong hand. “With me - Run! We need shelter!”

Sticking close to the mountain, they began running parallel to it as the winds and howls chased after them. Everypony stumbling through the thicker snow piles and ice, dodging errant icicles and miniature avalanches as the wind battered the cliffs and slopes above them. More than ever Spearmint wished she could take flight to try and help everypony, feeling useless with her wings forced shut like this. Maybe then she could put the wind at their backs, or blow it over the monsters coming after them. But even if she could fly it would have been no good, not with how searing cold the weather felt to her magic. It felt even worse now as whatever force behind it was focusing on them, weighing them down with frost building on their limbs. Only Stark seemed to be managing well, but he was slowed by the rest of them not able to keep up with his long strides.

From their left side, shadows began to emerge from the blizzard in the shape of tall canines. Icicles clung to their backs and shoulders like jagged spines, their surface a deathly blue against coats so white as to be mistaken for bleached bones. Eyes that glowed and seeped out mist around the edges framed a muzzle lined with fangs of crackling ice. Spearmint could see some vague resemblance between them and their northern cousins the Timberwolves, but these beasts towered over them. Timberwolves usually could only outgrow a pony by combining into a Dire Alpha, and although these were not quite as enormous, a single paw swipe would likely cripple them if struck. And there was easily a dozen of them closing in.

“LUNA TAKE THEM!” Stark roared, seeing the pack and turning to face them. His black cloak flapped dramatically in the wind as his blade sung out of its scabbard, and to the shock of the team it even began to crackle with red fire. So hot that it even banished the chill in a radius around him. “RUN, KEEP BY THE MOUNTAIN, FIND THAT PASSAGE.”

“But Stark-!” Spearmint began.

“NO! These beasts are greater than even I expected. We will die if we all stay.” He turned his muzzle slowly, a deep frown on his face. “I will hold them off, and take them into Tartarus with me if needs must.”

“No.” Turning, Whisper had also twisted around to walk over to the stallion. Her shimmering coat began to gain an even brighter luster as she called upon her magic, and from within her coats’ pockets flew out several gems that pulsed angrily and began to emit shrill noises. “...I am not weak, and neither am I leaving you here Stark. I will fight too.”

“Stark...Whisper…”

“Are you certain Whisper?” Stark asked sternly. The mare gave no quarter in her stare. “...Very well, then Spearmint - take the rest and go.”

“But-“

“No. Go.”

Biting her lip, Spearmint felt a well of sadness and self loathing overcome her. Here were her teammates, ponies she had only known for so little time, bravely standing against a terrible danger. And she was helpless to aid them with the weather against them like this. Worst of all was that she knew that Stark’s order made the most sense. She was the last one of the rescue party with any chance of protecting the civilians, and she also knew where to take them along the shoreline if they had to flee from Antrotica. So with a heavy heart she nodded and turned, waiting until the others began to move before looking over her shoulder. “Please be safe.” She said.

“And you as well.” Stark nodded, and then the Frostwolves howled and he turned back to face them. Charging with a yell as Whisper glided along behind him.

It was too cold to cry, but Spearmint’s heart did it in place of her eyes as she moved. Grabbing Keen Sense’s hand, she dragged him along, and with them moving it spurred the other two as they hurried on. The sounds of battle and howls filled the air behind them, the raging screeches of the storm above them fading as they ran. With them pulling away from the center of combat the storm seemed to weaken a little its hold over them, the focus of whatever entity likely drawn to the fight and intent on winning its grizzly prize. It was because of this that only a few moments later they noticed a darker section of the cliff outcrops, the storm fading enough to show more than just white, and Slick Slush made a happy noise as she realized it was a cave. “We can hide in there! Come on, get in get in!” She beckoned.

The inside of the cave was scarcely illuminated, but with a few flares they soon had it bathed in eerie red light. Walking in deeper, Slick Slush began to note that the rock here was different and began running a hand over the walls in wonder. “This is definitely not natural. It’s like they tried replicating it, but there’s no way these walls should be this smooth with all the erosion around the entrance. Hmm...”

Keen Sense walked over and crouched by a small nook in the rock. “Hey, I think there’s something written here.” Everypony gathered around him, using their light to help him read. “This looks a bit dated, but it’s definitely not Pegacian. I...I-I think it might be written in blood too.”

Doctor Absolute’s glasses flashed in the light ominously as he adjusted them. “What does it say?”

“It’s...mostly rambles, things about the wind, and the snow being...tears? I…” Looking around, he reached down and picked up what appeared to be a strip of tattered cloth. Turning it over in his hand, they could see that it had some blood staining it but had a portion of some kind of symbol on it. “I think this is a part of an old explorer coat...this symbol…”

“The Royal Equestrian League of Explorers, Archaeologists, Scholars and Educators. Otherwise known as R.E.L.E.A.S.E.” Absolut said, bending down to pick up another scrap near him. This one had a tuft of lining on it, and it gently began to fall off as he disturbed it. “In more recent years they’ve been more the latter two than anything, but back in the day they were the premiere organization. A gathering of gentlestallions and gentlemares who revolutionized Equestria’s understanding of countless fields not limited to but including History, Science, and Education for all ages. Their uniforms are familiar to anyone who knows their history, even when in tatters like this. I think we’ve found Dire Hilarity’s cave.”

“If this is the cave he was in all those years ago, then he could have unknowingly been right by the entrance to the valley. Sad.” Slick noted.

Spearmint looked to the entrance, and then to the back of the cave. “Slick Slush, do you think you can find it for us? I’m worried…”

“No problem Spearmint. Just give me a moment and some light back here.”

Together the quartet poured over the walls of the cavern, finding nothing a first glance besides more of Dire’s passing rambles and notes. But as they moved deeper they found that the stone changed subtly in color, the markings vanishing until a small, almost missable nook lead them into a second chamber between two rocks. In here the walls were adorned once again, but with art and ancient carvings. Several unblemished motifs as well as what they all assumed to be the general outline of some kind of entrance. The stone was worked into rounded edges, almost like pillars, with a deeper indent in a notable arch shape around them. Markings on and outside this imprint were confirmed by Keen Sense to be written in Pegacian, and after translating it he said, “‘To enter Her kingdom, offer Her gift to us.’”

“What does that mean?” Spearmint and Slick Slush chorused, looking at each other briefly afterwards.

“I’m not sure...the word ‘Her’ is clearly meant to denote importance and station. But...it doesn’t say who or what their gift was. Some kind of enchanted jewelry perhaps?”

“That would make sense if this were a unicorn settlement, but pegasi were never ones to adorn themselves needlessly correct?” The doctor tweaked his glasses, the light of his flare making them glint curiously. “From what I recall of old tales of Pegasopolis they actually practiced a rather spartan lifestyle, so I can’t imagine there were many things that an entire society might have held.”

“That’s implying the practice existed twenty-thousand years ago. The timespan could have easily caused countless social shifts, including any taboos or practices regarding personal property and beauty.”

“That’s true, however…” The two scholars stepped closer and began talking rapidly. Slick Slush, sighing with experience, leaned against a wall and crossed her arms.

“They’ll keep this up for a while if we don’t do something.” She said.

“We don’t have the time for this.” Spearmint bit her lip. The idea of simply standing around the cave was absurd to her, not with what, who, was outside in the storm facing terrible danger. Walking over to the wall herself, she lifted up her flare even higher and looked over the motif adorning the doorway. At the very top was a single regal pegasus, the detail suggesting it was a mare of great beauty given the size of the wings and long tail. She had her hands spread and from her wings rained down countless feathers, merging with a thick line of clouds just beneath where it became rain to the left, rays of sunlight in the middle, and snow to the right. Below that was a city with several pegasi flying and standing with their hands lifted up toward the regal one above the clouds. Squinting, Spearmint looked closer and saw that despite the weather taking priority, there was still a few feathers being depicted, one apiece falling to land in a pony’s hands. Panning her sight down to the final section, she saw something that made her eyes widen. Several ponies, none of which were pegasi, were all aligned from left to right in various poses of prayer. Each of them holding a feather in their hands, and as she rolled her sight over it she saw wings slowly sprout out of the backs of the worshippers, horns shrinking and bodies thinning until the last in line was a pegasus, hands empty but clasped together in thanks.

Looking back to Keen Sense and Doctor Absolut, they were still talking with Slick Slush tapping a hoof nearby. Nothing had changed, and so with none of them looking she unfurled one wing and gently reached into it to find a feather to pluck out. It stung, making her wince, but holding up a pristine primary she twirled it around in her fingertips before kneeling down and clasping it between her hands.

“Please…” She whispers. Unknown to her the storm outside stuttered as the feather in her hands began to glow with magic. A mystical energy permeating the air that had not been felt in an eon. Eyes closed in focus she didn’t see the magic gently fly off of the feather as if caught in a breeze. Sticking to the outline of the doorway and illuminating several runes carved into it. When the arch was completely lit up it pulsed once, twice, three times before fading, and then the horrible grinding of stone filled the air.

“What the heck?” Looking over, the three other ponies all gasped as they saw the ancient gateway part before the kneeling Spearmint and breathe out the dusty, dry air of an ancient passage. Standing up, the pegasus noted that her feather was gone now, but seeing the open passage she smiled. “Spearmint, what did you do?” Keen Sense asked with his voice but a whisper.

“A feather. Her gift, whoever she is, is apparently symbolized by our wings.” She says, looking back to her fellow pegasus. “Maybe they worshiped somepony who was like the Mother of Pegasus ponies, and believed that it was her that made our kind. The mural showed ponies accepting the feathers and praying with them, so I thought I’d try that myself.”

“But that shouldn’t have worked. Granted you have magic like myself, but it’s internal unless expressed in weather.” Doctor Absolut said with a frown. “There’s no way a single feather could have held enough magic to move that door alone. Do you feel drained perhaps?”

“Never felt better, now that we can move on.” She replied with a bit of pep in her voice. Turning back to the passageway she took the first step through it and beckoned for the others to follow. After the narrow opening it widened out so that they could walk two abreast of each other, although Spearmint continued to head the group alone. The walls were blank and smooth, only a few indents along the way for what must have been torches to break up the monotony, which grew along the way as minutes passed with no end in sight. It was after nearly an hour that something new appeared, wind blowing across their faces. A faint light began to shine ahead; the exit was near.

As they left the passage they spread out to take in their surroundings, which seemed to consist of a small valley between two of the monolithic mountains. On this side of the range it was even clearer just how gigantic they were, their passageway being set atop an artificial outcrop of carved stone that led down far below to the actual valley. Thankfully they found the construction to be as sturdy as the work in the cave, and after stepping onto the frozen soil below they craned their necks up until they simply couldn’t anymore. None of the peaks were in sight even with the clouds still further above, the distance and hazy air of the storm obscuring them.

“No pegasus I know of could scale these mountains.” Keen Sense exclaimed in awe. “They must reach as far as the stratosphere if the continent wasn’t sinking. How could they have possibly been made, much less have remained untouched like this?”

“Likely because of whatever stone these steps are made of.” Slick stomped one to emphasize her point. It made barely a sound, not even a solid thunk like expected. “I’m not sure but I want to say this stone has never been seen before. There should be some erosion but I’d swear they were carved yesterday. And it feels oddly soft, like clouds only...not, blegh.” She looked unhappy with the poor comparison.

“They don’t feel particularly cold either.” Doctor Absolut rubbed a finger over a railing that had been carved beside the steps. “Curious - could this civilization have somehow manufactured some kind of solid cloud for their construction? Or perhaps it is an as-yet undiscovered stone, perhaps native to only Antrotica due to some strange magical field?” He looked up slowly. “But...wait...tell me, do you all hear that?”

Puzzled, the other three looked between each other and then stood quietly as they listened. Turning their ears and heads, they tried to pick up on what the doctor was talking about as they stood atop the ancient walkway. “I don’t...and that’s worrying.” Spearmint said as she looked around nervously. It took Slick Slush and Keen Sense another moment to figure it out, but once they did they reached up and lowered their hoods...to silence. Standing together, the four ponies looked over the valley from their position and found it to be unnaturally still. No wind, no distant echoes, and even their own breathing felt muted. As if it could barely reach their ears to be heard. Lifting up her hands, Spearmint clapped as loudly as she could, and although they heard it, there was no echo. “Hello!” She shouted, and her voice seemed to be sucked up about a yard from her face. “...This is really creepy. The air is dead here, almost like we’re in the eye of a storm.”

“It’s even warmer - not by much but I dare say we could open up our clothing some to stop ourselves from overheating.” The doctor unzipped the front of his coat, feeling a small bit of chill sink in but barely enough to undo his action. The others followed his example and to their amusement got a sigh of relief from Spearmint for it. “Something has frozen the weather here much like it’s frenzied the weather outside. Perhaps a counter-balance in the magic to allow for it’s endless run?”

“The snow’s not all that deep too.” Bending down, Keen Sense rolled up a perfect snowball and then looked at the hole it had made. He could actually see a patch of frozen soil just peeking through just an inch or so beneath. Slick Slush moved off to explore the nearby landscape, being sure to stay in sight in case of any surprises. “It’s like...this entire valley has been frozen in time. Everything just stopped right before the storm struck the outside, or shortly after. That shouldn’t be possible.”

“Uhhh, guys?” Hearing the distress in Slick’s voice, they all turned to the earth pony and saw her looking at something on the other side of a large rock. Her eyes were wide, hands trembling by her throat as if ready to scream as she looked back to them. “Y-You really should take a l-look at this!”

Moving quickly they found what she had; a corpse lay resting against the backside of the rock, a layer of frost coating it but otherwise untouched. A slight bit of mummification had preserved the no doubt ancient body to astounding levels, facial details and colors still there save for some fading. They all noticed that it was a unicorn by the horn opening on its helmet, and that the armor it wore was neither familiar to them or made of common metals. It was almost as if crystals had been used to shape the breastplate and large pieces, while what looked like veins of gold and silver molded and fused the parts together and decorated it with incredible splendor. Kneeling beside the body, Doctor Absolut reached a hand out, and paused.

“There is magic here…” He said, tilting his hand down to touch a round orb in the center of the chestplate. “Here, and I can just about sense it coursing slowly through the strange seams leading from it. This is...magical armor, enchanted and somehow functioning after...tens of thousands of years. That’s impossible.”

“Considering everything else we’ve seen so far?” Spearmint shook her head. “I’d believe you if you told me Discord an alicorn. Who...who is this pony?”

“One moment.” Keen, along with Doctor Absolut, searched the corpse while Slick moved closer to Spearmint and turned away. The pegasus lent a comforting wing to her as she shivered, but didn’t turn away herself. She felt a strange familiarity at the sight of the soldier, like an old dream that she might have had in her youth. It tingled the back of her mind like the last remnants of a lightning bolt she’d just kicked from a cloud. Then she blinked, and the feeling was gone and the two stallions were holding something together.

“Is this…?”

“I believe it may be.” Doctor Absolut grabbed the edge of his glasses, a shocking flash of light crossing the lens. “But...surely out of all things, this can’t be real.”

“What is it?” Spearmint asked.

“A legend beyond legends. The undefeated legion, the conquering kingdom, the rulers of ancient times immemorial and lost to history.”

“Some ponies think they didn’t exist at all, that the few records that do exist are merely ghost stories and lies.” The historian among them added. “If they did it was long before even the era of Dream Valley...just like...this supposed pegasus civilization come to think of it. Perhaps this is the missing link we’ve always been looking for?”

“Care to tell us what they were called?” Slick Slush snarked, finally turning back with her arms crossed.

“Sorry, yes - they were known as the ‘Dominium De Magia’, an ancient empire comprised almost solely of unicorns. They mastered magic long before the great sorcerers and wizards like Starswirl the Bearded, and took it to levels beyond even today’s wildest imaginations. Teleportation at any time, total control of the sun and moon, the ability to combat any and all sickness, supposedly even death itself. Some of this we’ve gotten close to today, and of course Princess Celestia and Princess Luna control the celestial bodies. But these were things the average citizen could do, so great was their power and control. Some of the more fanciful rumors even suggest that they had colonized the moon and were exploring the heavens beyond before they were erased from history.”

Spearmint looked up at the storm above, trying to imagine the moon in the sky above. “You say...erased, not defeated or lost?”

“At some point thousands of years before the Unification Era began, before Dream Valley, a terrible blow was struck to the records of almost every civilization. The more fanciful theories suggests this was a conspiracy by the species of the world to erase the Dominium completely and wholly. That their horrible reign of terror was too much to forgive, yet could not be allowed to be recalled in fear of a mass genocide of the unicorns. I’m more of the belief that Discord himself did it, likely as a prank or trick of his.” Doctor Absolut huffed, crossing his arms. “What Keen Sense also hasn’t mentioned is that many of their supposed achievements were founded upon the backs of everyone the empire crossed paths with. They had lain claim to all magics of the world and sought to control and rule over all species that had even a lick of it within themselves. Even the dragons, strong and proud as they are, caved to their terrible weapons of war and sinister rituals. But they were by far worse with their own kinds - other pony tribes suffering under them a hundred times worse than anything the Pre-Unification Era could throw at the tribes. As if they were inferior, flawed things.”

“Regardless of how true any of this was, what can be confirmed is two things. One - that they did, in some fashion, exist. And two - that this was their symbol.” Holding up what they had been looking at, the two mares could see a small, barely arm-sized shield that bore a symbol on the front. An inverted triangle within a circle, the shield’s own magical core making up the inside of the triangle. It however was cracked and broken, unlike the one on the chestplate. “Nopony is sure what it means - the interpretations are numerous - but it’s what every scholar has ever found in relation to the Dominium De Magia.”

“If they were here, be it as rulers or conquerors, it would perhaps explain the storm surrounding us. Their legacy of powerful magics could perhaps explain it away…”

“What about the voice? The presence in the wind and blizzard?” Spearmint shivers at the mere thought of it.

“Who can say? There are paths in magic that are still unknown to us, and some are I think best left forgotten as well.” Looking to the corpse again, he let his words sink in before the doctor shook his head and turned back down the direction of the path. “Come on, we’re not going to get anymore answers. This was just a foot soldier by my guess, he won’t have anything worthwhile on him.”

Nodding, the quartet set off again in silence through the eerie valley. As they moved the stillness of the air and environment continued to weigh on them like a heavy shroud. Their footsteps and breathing were all they could hear, not a single sign of natural wildlife rising up to meet them. Not even the storm blew down across their ears, too distant and focused outward as it was to pay them any heed. At first all they could see was a small cluster of trees that made for a natural pathway from the stairs, but as they slipped past those they began to encounter other signs that this place had once been inhabited. A road under the snow made of stone, trees that had been planted into neat rows, faded carved stone that acted as markers or perhaps small walls. What began as winter forests turned into winter roads, shifting to the outermost forms of civilizations as they encountered a long abandoned hut just tucked out of sight of the main road. The roof and door were gone with the interior dark and empty, so they did not linger long save for noting that the walls looked scorched and cut from what might have been battle. As they stopped at a fork in the road they found a second corpse to examine, this time a pegasus in more open and yet still oddly advanced armor. They were unfortunately speared along a fallen branch in one of the trees, but whatever blood might have been there was long since dried up.

“This material almost resembles leather, but...note the silken texture.” Absolut rubbed some of the flaps along the skirted armor. “It’s like they somehow refined pegasus feathers into a single, solid strip of material. It feels incredibly light.”

“They probably focused on the mobility of our species. The few pieces of harder protection sewn into the fabric however feels...odd.” Keen lifted a hand and looked at the guard. “I can’t even begin to guess what it might be. It looks almost like it was somehow spun given the odd grain on it. Some kind of wood? Silk?”

“Does he have any kind of identification?” Spearmint asked softly.

“No…” Keen paused as his hand touched something along the breastplate. Looking at everypony else, he then carefully began working the straps of the small plate to try and pry it off.

“What are you doing?!” Slick Slush looked pale, extremely so once the grind of frozen flesh began to sound out as the armor was removed. “That...urgh...I’m not cut out for this part…” She turned and walked a few feet away to breathe deeply.

“I sensed something for a moment - the touch of language.” He was hastily explaining, trying hard to respect the dead soldier. With a small grunt the plate finally snapped off, allowing for what appeared to be a perfectly preserved piece of paper to tilt out. Having been nestled for all these long, cold, silent years over the heart of the pegasus. Pulling it out, the stallion carefully unfolded it and held his breath. Eyes darting rapidly over the words there, translating and trying to grasp the insight it gave. “...This is...a report, written by this pony before he died. He seems to have been a scout on patrol over the passage before he was struck down. This writing even mentions fighting a unicorn before hurrying back. Our two corpses seem to be linked, likely both scouts who struck and killed each other. This poor stallion simply lasted longer...”

“Does it say anything, well, important?” Spearmint’s eyes were wide, walking over to read over Keen’s shoulder. He shuffled a bit to let her look, but all that she could read was a bunch of squiggles. “Wow, and I thought Rainbow Dash’s writing was bad…”

“It...hold on…” They all wait. “Yes, it gives me two things. For starters it confirms that the unicorn was part of an invasion force by the Dominium to try and conquer this land and the pegasi in the mountains. But more importantly we have a few names - Cloudthage, which I believe is the name of this kingdom or settlement, and...Queen Elysium.”

“A queen? For pegasi?”

“Apparently so sir - the report is made to a Commander, but it mentions her as the recipient for these details. They also say lines like ‘if the Goddess wills it’ in regards to holding the defenses against the Dominium, so they must have had a divine figure like you thought Spearmint.”

“This alone revolutionizes almost everything we’ve ever known about pegasus leadership and culture.” Doctor Absolut sounded excited, a gleam in his eyes that made his glasses shine with wonder. “Think of what this could mean, of our knowledge of ancient histor-”

“We can’t keep looking around.” Spearmint suddenly cut in, sounding apologetic as everyone startled and looked at her in shock. “I’m sorry guys but...we have to remember what we’re here for! Stark Winter and Whisper are back there, fighting off a pack of Frostwolves. We have to find the center of the storm and somehow turn it off, if we even can. We can’t keep pausing like this just to unlock whatever mystery might be here about the past.”

“I...I, yes, y-you’re right. I’m so sorry Miss Spearmint I almost forgot about - This place is…” Shaking his head, the doctor looked at Keen, who carefully tucked the piece of paper away. They both then took care to remove the body from the branch, setting it down gently and putting things to right with its armor. A final service they could do for the long departed. “Let’s push on. We’ll only stop if we absolutely must from now on.” Assuming that the path the invaders must have taken was the best inroad to the center of the mountains, they set off down the one they found damage on until the road began curving toward a large gap in the mountain range. The damage to the road became larger and more destructive as the occasional crater or smashed tree fell over the path, and bodies too started to pile up in clusters of both opposing forces.

Keen, not breaking stride, tried to take all of it in and narrate. “It looks like the Dominium managed to breach the mountains and push through the woods without much struggle at first. The...Cloudians? The pegasi must have tried to form various ambush points, only to be overwhelmed by the magical firepower their enemies had. There’s so many destroyed landmarks around here, and the bodies nearest all of them appear to be pegasi.”

Slick Slush looked up as they passed what appeared to be a lone defense tower, stripped to the base which was littered with the once proud and smooth stones of the walls. “They don’t seem to have many towers or walls here. Were they really so lax in defense? The Pegasopolis ponies were legendary warriors during the Unification Era.”

“A different time, a different people. Given how large the mountains are and how tightly packed, they probably only had to block off smaller passages like the one we went through to really stop invaders.”

“A perfect, natural shield to nestle their home into.” Absolut noted with a hum. “They must have hidden themselves from the sight of the Dominium here for generations. Perhaps after first fleeing their oppressive regime?”

“Most likely doctor. The empire was always at war with someone, so a group or several smaller ones fleeing to a faraway location like this could have easily slipped past them. I wonder what finally clued them in to Antrotica.”

“The Dominium De Magica...it was everywhere.” Spearmint said softly, looking at what might have been farmlands long, long, long ago. They were now torn and some gigantic siege weapon lay in pieces over a once fertile field, the epicenter of which looked as if a mighty lightning blast had gone off to destroy it and the forces manning it. “Everyone knows about them, their legend, so who’s to say they didn’t just realize at some point there was a whole continent untouched by them? Maybe they...chased others and stumbled across the pegasi here?”

“What boggles me is just how in the name of Celestia they even became so powerful. Magic’s potent and pretty handy, but no offense doc, I could take you in a second flat.” Slick lifts an arm to flex and prove her point. “Earth ponies are tough as heck, and I’ve never met a pegasus that can’t just take to the skies and blast somepony with a cloud or windstorm.”

“Some say the Dominium had help, that they were blessed by an accursed god who favored only the unicorn tribe. Recently they even suspect it might have been Discord, or at least his predecessor given the timeframe.” Keen answered. “Control of the Sun and Moon probably also helped them exert control over the more primitive people of the time, although how primitive is up for debate considering their own advanced crafts and magic. Oddly, did you know there’s a supposed document found a few years ago by Daring Do that implies that it was the Earth ponies of the ancient past that controlled the Sun-”

“Wait.” Stopping, the group looked to Doctor Absolut, and then past him to the massive makeshift barrier set over what seemed to be the exit of the valley. It was using two still standing pegasus towers as the edges, with various pieces of stonework and hastily harvested tree trunks to form a barrier. Soldiers covered the field around it, many unicorns, but the walls were marked with the bodies of pegasi and the center had a massive hole burnt out of it. The cause clear as the group carefully skirted around a gigantic cannon that screamed of the arcane by all the crystals adorning it and pointed tip. “If I were to guess, I’d say that just beyond lies the city. We should make sure we’re completely ready before pushing in.”

As they had little on them, this was more for them to mentally prepare for what might come. Focus was sharpened, worries buried or handled, and motivation re-ignited as they looked above at the storm. Once done the group looked at each other, and after a nod shared between them all they pushed on.


Further into the mountains, within a great palace of cloud and stone, holding vigil over a silent and dead civilization, the voice of the storm opened its eyes for the first time in an eon.