• Published 2nd Aug 2018
  • 5,219 Views, 102 Comments

The Love of a Mother - Ashen Heart

  • ...
5
 102
 5,219

Unlocked Memories

Bright light flashes around Nightmare Moon as she walks through the door. Shielding her eyes she walks forward to see yet another hallway of doors. Sighing she continues to walk forward opening doors. Little did she realize that her coat had turned from midnight black back to her cool navy blue from Princess Luna. Her mane regaining the same soft flow as before her banishment, and her eyes the calming soft blue of a loving mother. Opening the first door she sees herself as Princess Luna singing softly to a filly Twilight in her old nursery. ‘This must be from the time before I was banished. Then why was it locked away?’ Wondered Nightmare Moon as she continued looking at different doors. Ones with her playing peek-a-boo with Twilight, her rocking her precious filly to sleep, and even one of her pretending to be a pig, oinking away to get her daughter to laugh.

“Oh how much I’ve missed your laugh Nebula,” stated Nightmare Moon with a heavy sigh. So much has changed since those happy days. So many dark lonely times with nothing but the icy chill of the moon and its song.

“Mama!” A little Nebula said excitedly. Nightmare Moon quickly turned back to the memory, believing for a moment it really was her. She sees a filly Twilight run up to her, excitedly Nightmare Moon smiled and held her arms out for her daughter, only to have her pass right through her into the arms of Princess Luna. Grumbling, Nightmare Moon looks down at her hooves finally noticing they weren’t the normal black of her fur, but in fact the blue of her old coat when she was Princess Luna.

“What is goi-” Nightmare Moon was abruptly cut of as she was flung from the mindscape. Rubbing her head Nightmare Moon sat up and frantically looked around wondering what had happened.

“What did you do to me?!” Twilight panics, glaring daggers at Nightmare Moon. Meanwhile Nightmare Moon just stares at her completely dumbfounded. “I said. What. Did. You. Do. To. Me?!” Twilight demanded wanting answers. She can’t seem to calm down, frightened by all the images that had flashed through her mind upon regaining consciousness. “What were all those images? What did you put in my brain? Who was that mare? Why is she holding me? What was-” Twilight asked in a flurry only to be cut off by Nightmare Moon.

“It really is you,” she mumbled softly, looking at Twilight with tears in her eyes.

“What in Celestia’s name are you talking about? And why won’t you answer any of my questions?” Twilight asked completely confused.

“It is you! How could I have not seen it before? Oh how I’ve missed you my Nebula!” Nightmare Moon quickly grabs Twilight in a breathe-denying hug. Almost in perceptively Nightmare Moon’s mane turns the slightest shade of blue.

“Can’t. Breathe.” Twilight struggles to get out trying just to get the barest of breaths. Quickly Nightmare Moon lets go of Twilight looking away.

“How is this even possible,” Nightmare Moon wonders aloud.

“What do you mean? I don’t even know what you’re talking about or what happened in there.” Twilight grunts, getting more frustrated every passing second.

“I know this is going to sound preposterous, and even I do not understand how this is so, but you are my daughter, Nebula.” Nightmare Moon states, looking at Twilight dead in the eyes. Twilights stares at her incredulously not sure she heard her right.

“Wh-what did you say?” Twilight stutters out, trying to pretend she heard wrong.

“You are my daughter. You’re name is Nebula Andreas Star.” Nightmare Moon said.

“B-but that can’t be right! My name is Twilight Sparkle. My mother is Twilight Velvet, not you. How would that even work? I’m only 22 not 1000 plus years old! This can’t be possible! I’m not even an alicorn, I’m only a simple unicorn!” Twilight says, getting more and more frustrated as she passes back and forth in the cave.

“I believe Celestia has a lot to do with what has happened to you. She could have easily hid your earth and pegasi magic inside of you, and as far as your age goes if she put you in a cocoon-like sleep it could theoretically halt your aging and make it appear as if you were only 19 years old. For your name and your mother, Celestia simply gave you to another house to watch over you. But why would she do that is what I’m wondering.” Nightmare Moon explained.

“Why should I believe anything you say? You’re Nightmare Moon, for all I know you just planted those- those memories- in my head! None of what you are saying makes sense! Why would Celestia go through all that trouble?! Why would she lie to me! No you are far more likely to lie to me then Celestia! I don’t believe you! I DON’T BELIEVE THIS!” Twilight cries out as her eyes glow a pure white. Magic flows through her horn as the whole cave alights with a purple glow.

Author's Note:

alright I know its been a couple weeks since I posted the last chapter but I finally got this one completed. sorry you guys I've been so busy and being sick sucks. anyways hope you guys enjoy this chapter and I can't wait to hear your feedback on it XD