• Published 2nd Aug 2018
  • 378 Views, 9 Comments

A Sleepy Conversation - Starpony999



Twilight Swish wanted to prove she's the bravest. Fleur de Shy wanted to get to know a certain stallion. Dawn waneds to have a sleepover. And Gummy just wants to go to bed.

  • ...
 9
 378

Chapter 3

"...and just when the last pony thought she was safe, there, standing right behind her, just inches away was -- "

Due to what was probably some extension of her innate pegasus magic, Twilight, who was previously sitting in front of the other two mares on the other side of their fake fire, was suddenly directly behind her friends as she uttered the last words of her phrase:

"The Headless Horse!"

A door slammed at that exact moment, leading the two unicorns to scream, instinctively grabbing on to each other in fear.

"Geez," Gummy grumbled. "I thought we got over the whole scary-dragon thing."

Dawn coughed, before sheepishly rubbing her neck. "Sorry, Gummy, Twilight's just," She paused, apparently not sure how to continue that phrase. "...really good at story telling."

"Why thank you." Twilght replied, doing an over-exaggerated bow in response.

The dragon sighed, wishing he could have been in bed hours ago. "Well, I just came to tell you that I finally found all the s'mores ingredients...and made myself one....and ate it....and now I'm going to bed. Good night." He turned on his heel and, very quickly, made his way up the stairs to his bed.

Fleur wrinkled her nose. "He sure was in a hurry to get out of here."

Dawn sighed. "He's still a baby dragon, you know. They grow up so much slower than ponies. Remember the Summer Sun Celebration?"

"How could I forget?"

"Gummy didn't come with us to the Everfree. He had been up all night partying, and was so exhausted that he conked out almost as soon as we got home."

"Well sounds like he could easily stay up all night if he so chose."

Dawn coughed nervously. "He's been up a lot later than usual the past few nights due to some...intense party planning sessions."

Fleur nodded, grateful for the honesty, but still a bit miffed that the cute little guy had acted so coldly.

Twilight's face twisted into a snarl. She hadn't gotten to know Fleur too well before tonight, and she was beginning to realize why. That mare was so snobbish. She couldn't even handle a small dose of her own medicine. She held her tongue, not wanting to upset her host, but knew that the moment an opportunity arose she would be sure to tell the unicorn off.

With great effort, the pegasus forced her face back into a smile and addressed Dawn. "Who's going to go next? Can anyone beat my scary story?"

Fleur sighed. "I doubt I could. All my stories are romantic. Zat tale of Twilight's was absolutely terrifiant!"

"Well, you can still tell your story later, Fleur, as a nice ending." Suddenly, Dawn's ears perked up. "Oh! I got one!" She exclaimed. "It's the story of the gigantic, candy-stealing..." The hostess stood up on her hind legs and waved her forehooves menacingly in the air. "...PartyCrasher!" With the exclamation of her last word, Dawn toppled over onto the cushions she and Fleur had previously been sitting on. Her collapse was not from a loss of balance, but rather from a sudden loss of consciousness.

"Dawn? Mon chou?" Fleur took a step closer to her fellow unicorn and nudged her. "Are you alright?" She asked, rather concerned for her friend. "Twilight, she's not responding."

The pegasus also approached their unconscious friend. Twilight nudged Dawn, prodded her, opened her eyes, and lifted her foreleg before reaching a conclusion. "She's crashed."

"I beg your pardon?"

Twilight waved her hoof vaguely towards the upstairs. "Remember how Gummy said that Dawn was in a partying mood?"

"Yes...?"

"And remember how much sugar she's been eating?"

"Yes...?"

"And remember how she hasn't had any in the last hour or so, just popcorn?"

"Je ne comprends pas ce que tu veux dire !"

Twilight was caught off guard. "...What?"

"Exactly!" Fleur exclaimed, "I don't understand what you are getting at! Just get to your point already!"

"Oh. Sorry," The pegasus apologized. "I forget that not everypony enjoys suspense as much as I do." She sighed. "Dawn crashed from a sugar high."

Fleur nodded. "Well zen, what should we do?"

Twilight shrugged. "Normally I'd offer to carry her up to her room but..." She trailed off looking at her burnt wing.

"Well, she did bring sleeping bags down here." Fleur lifted up one that was covered in candy corn and cotton candy pictures. "I zink this one is hers." She unrolled the bag and put it over Dawn. "Zere, now she'll sleep comfortably."

"And hopefully won't yell at anypony when she wakes up." Twilight piped up.

Fleur looked at her, confused. "I don't zink Dawn's the type of pony that would yell at us."

"You never know." Twilight shrugged, "We've only known her a few weeks. She might not be a morning-pony."

Fleur rolled her eyes. "Well, in any case, now zat zat's settled, what do we do now?"

Twilight shrugged. "Well, you could tell your story while we eat the smore'ses Gummy made for us."

Fleur tried to keep herself from smirking. "I like your zinking."


"And zen, ze doors to the great hall opened, and Monsuier Prince Charming was awed at the bride before him. The lovely soon-to-be-princess Fluttershy strode into the auditorium. Her long pink hair was styled in an updo, decorated with daisies and daffodils. Her white dress flowed like the waves of the sea, as a chorus of bluebirds held her trail behind her.

"The wedding march played as their eyes met. At that moment, they were the only two ponies in the world. As Fluttershy approached, it felt to the two of them as if their entire world had stilled. They were finally about to be joined together for the rest of their life.

"It seemed as if no time had passed since the moment Fluttershy had entered the auditorium to the moment when they said their 'I do's.' Princess Celestia pronounced them husband and wife and thus their real life began together. And they lived happily ever after. The End."

Twilight didn't know what kind of face to make. She was both confused and impressed with Fleur's storytelling. Fleur had used her 'visualization' spell a few times in the beginning, but halfway through the story, she had stopped. Still, without the visual aids, the story had been so rich in description that Twilight felt like she had watched the entire thing. Although, Twilight still wasn't a big fan of the romance thing, especially considering how obvious it was that this 'Fluttershy' character was Fleur de Shy herself, and Prince Charming, was, well, you know, Prince Charming. Twilight had heard stories abou--

"Why are you looking at me like zat?" Fleur asked, interrupting the pegasus's train of thought.

"I, oh, uh sorry. Your storytelling skills are through the clouds! However, and this is weird for me of all ponies to accuse somepony of this, I think you read too much."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I mean you read romance novels too much."

"And why do you say zat?"

"Well, he and his brother are the main reason my family lives in Ponyville, for one."

"You didn't always live here?"

"No, we used to live in Canterlot. One day, when I was a little filly, my parents and I were on a walk through town and came across the two princes. I must've wandered a little too far ahead, because I ran into Prince Charming's brother. I think it was Last Century or something. Charming got really mad and shoved me away. He quickly turned away to make sure his brother was alright, but he said....something or other to the guard, who looked almost exactly the same, except he had blonde hair instead of blue. The guard got really mad and picked me up by my withers and practically threw me at my parents. He demanded we never approach the princes again, or else."

"Well," Fleur paused, a bit taken aback. "I'm sure it wasn't that bad. It sounds like it was just a misunderstanding..."

Twilight gave her a deadpan. "He signed a restraining order. I wasn't allowed within 10,000 hooves of him or his brother! That's not nearly short enough to be able to see him to keep away. Sometimes I had to leave the house to stay away! My parents got so tired of that that they moved here to Ponyville."

"Maybe he's changed?" Fleur asked, her voice leaking with her last bit of hope.

Twilight sighed. "Maybe" She relented. "It has been a few years. But I wouldn't bet my wings on it."

"OH, He's better." Came a muffled voice. The two conscious ponies did a double take. Neither of them had spoken. They cast their eyes over to the only remaining pony in the room. Dawn's eyes flutter open as she continued. "Prince Charming's not half bad. Sunset is dating his brother. She gets along pretty well with him."

"Who's.....Sunset?" Twilight ventured, unsure what was happening.

"Princess Shimmer? She was my teacher at Magic School. She was so awesome. She gave me my sleepover book. Yeah, she's dating Century. Sentry. Cen-tur-y. Whatever. Charming's brother. But don't worry." The half-asleep unicorn giggled. "Charming's not taken yet. He's never even had an actual mare-friend! He's really funny. Kinda like a big brother to me, you know. He makes a lot of jokes, like how the love of his life is probably hidden away in another dimension!" The pink mare chuckled. "Imagine that! Another dimension!" Her laughter grew louder and louder before it was finally cut off--she had fallen back asleep again.

The two remaining mares exchanged a glance. That was by far the most unusal thing they had experienced tonight.