• Published 2nd Aug 2018
  • 378 Views, 9 Comments

A Sleepy Conversation - Starpony999



Twilight Swish wanted to prove she's the bravest. Fleur de Shy wanted to get to know a certain stallion. Dawn waneds to have a sleepover. And Gummy just wants to go to bed.

  • ...
 9
 378

Chapter 2

"You girls are just in time for a slumber party!" Dawn cheered, confetti exploding behind her. "Oh, you don't know how much I've always wanted to have a slumber party!"

"You've already had four, Dawn." Gummy commented, grabbing a broom to sweep up the excess confetti.

"Those don't coouunt though." The pink unicorn replied. "Trixie's was a playdate Maud set up when I was like 5--"

"9 1/2"

"My Amorga Cadentz--what's her name wasn't even supposed to be in that part of the castle."

"It was Cadence."

"That other was just my teacher foalsitting me while Maud went on a date."

"Are you sure that doesn--"

"And Lemon Hearts and Minuette never even made it to the morning!"

"You're the one that never made it to the morning. You crashed from a sugar high!"

Dawn just shrugged. "Doesn't matter. None of those count anyways. This is my first chance at a real sleepover!"

Gummy just sighed in annoyance. He made eye contact with Twilight and then rolled his eyes. "You see? This is what I was talking about."

Twilight chuckled nervously, not sure what to say as Gummy left the room to put away his broom.

"Slumber 101: All You've Ever Wanted to Know About Slumber Parties But Were Afraid to Ask. Fleur read, picking up a leather-covered tomb from one of the dinner tables. "Where did you get zis book?"

"Oh, the Princess gave it to me. Said she found it when she was visiting Prance and thought of me. Isn't she just the bestest teacher ever!?"

Fleur could've sworn she heard Twilight mumble something, but when she glanced over at the pegasus, she was eating one of the cupcakes that were sitting out on the counter. She shook her head and brought her attention back to the other unicorn in the room. "Prance is my home country! I believe I know the author of the book: Joli Auteur."

"Yeah, yeah, that's cool. You should see the table of contents. No! Even better! You should see everything I've highlighted. This is my first chance to use it, and this night is going to be so spectacularly awesome! Oh, I need to celebrate. Where'd I leave the cupcakes?" In a flash, Dawn was at Twilight's side, shoving more than a single cupcake in her mouth. "Chese arge scho jood!"

"Dis donc," Fleur muttered, "awesome"


"So the first thing on this list here is....." Dawn scanned the book's first few pages as the other two mares stood uncomfortably in front of her. Both avoided eye contact, looking every but where the other was located. Dawn failed to notice this as she finally found the right page. "Makeovers!"

Instinctively, Twilight took a step back. There had been only been one time she had ever worn makeup. It was not something she particularly liked to recall. "Would...you...look at the time." Twilight stuttered, taking a step backward with each word. "I...am...pretty...darn...late for...something really...important. Eh heh heh..." She glanced around nervously, ready to break out into a full on sprint once a clear path was available. She turned to make her dash when she brushed her wing against one of the bookshelves just ever so slightly. She fell to the floor in pain, squeezing her knees to her body. She clenched her teeth and squeezed her eyes shut. She tried with all her might not to scream, not to make a sound. After all, that wasn't what the bravest of the brave did. No, they fought through their pain and came out as victors.

After a few deep breaths, Twilight finally opened her eyes. The first thing she noticed was that her two friends were standing over her, looking at her in concern. Fleur still wouldn't make direct eye contact, but she didn't look away completely. After a few seconds, Dawn finally spoke up.

"If you don't want to do makeovers, that's okay," Dawn spoke calmly, with Fleur simply standing there, not moving. "I mean, I'd love it if you would, but you don't have to participate right now. I won't force you."

Twilight gulped. She wanted to, participate that is, but after what Twinkleshine had done... The pegasus shuddered, unable to finish the thought. "I'm sorry, Dawn, but I can't."

Dawn nodded. "That's okay, you can be a part of the next activity!" The pink mare raised her forelegs and moved them in a wavy pattern. "GhooOOooOOoost Stories." Dawn giggled, placing her hooves back on the floor. "Come on Fleur! We have to finish these makeovers quickly so Twilight can join! Ooh! I think I remember where I placed my mascara!" The hyper unicorn hopped out of the room, likely up the stairs to her main living quarters.

Fleur hadn't quite moved as of yet. She had raised her eyebrows in response to what Twilight had said. She obviously wasn't immediately persuaded by Twilight's antics. The unicorn opened her mouth but quickly closed it, pursing her lips. She was likely holding back a retort, but Twilight was thankful that she didn't push it any further. Fleur turned, eyeing the pegasus out of the corner of her eye before dutifully following Dawn to wherever she had run off to.


"Dawn, mon chou, do we really have to follow the book to the letter?" Fleur asked, eyeing the bowl of a weird, green mixture that Dawn was applying to her own face.

"Of course we do, Fleur. This book describes the absolute best ways to have a slumber party." The pink-furred unicorn wiped some green under her eyes, mimicking the eye black that hoofball players wore. "And I am determined to make this the best slumber party ever."

Fleur tried to hide her grimace as her fellow unicorn began to magically apply the green muck to the yellow mare's face. It was gooey and slimy, and likely the worst thing that had ever made contact with her face. But this was for Dawn, so Fleur pushed through the grime and yuck and tried to smile.


Twilight paced around the room she had been left in. She had recovered, more or less, from the initial shock of makeovers, but she still wasn't about to go join them. They were taking a while, which was to be expected. Twilight knew some mares took two whole hours just to do their daily makeup. Who knew how long an actual makeover could take. Knowing this didn't help to put her mind at rest, so the pegasus had taken to pacing to perhaps come up with an idea of how to past the time. "I suppose now would be a good time to create a ghost story." She muttered to herself. "I think AJ told me a few good ones back in flight school. If only I could remember them."

There were several, surprisingly, that she had been told over the years. The ever-adventurous AJ certainly had had some of the better ones. Adventerous AJ... Something tugged at the purple pony's memory. Back when the two of them were fillies, Apple Jet had had the great idea to go 'adventuring' through Twilight's old house back in Canterlot. There was this book they had found together. 'What was it called?' Twilight pushed herself to remember what the book had been about. She had found it in this old abandoned room on the upper floor. The room, as well as the book cover, was decorated with pink sparkles, shields, and a combination of the two, which what was probably somepony's cutiemark. Pictures of royal guards and famous unicorns covered the walls. Some of the posters were signed while others had notes scrawled on them, apparently dissecting the pros and cons of each pony. AJ had disagreed. "They're all signed. There's no way you can read that messy of hoof-writing."

Similarly, at first, the orange pegasus could not believe the first few pages of the book were not just scribbled on by some foal. Turns out, the entire book had been hoof-written. After some difficulty, she had managed to read the first sentence or two, but AJ quickly gave up. Twilight was not one to quit in the pursuit of knowledge, however, so she took over, and managed to read the whole thing. It had several stories in it, but the best had been scrawled on the first page...."The Legend of the Headless Horse."

Author's Note:

This story is being written as it is being uploaded, unlikke my previous stories, so I apologize for the sporadic updates. I hope you enjoy this little side story though. Perhaps it will enlighten you on some of the other, shall we say, differences between this world and the canon. :raritywink: