• Published 2nd Aug 2018
  • 15,447 Views, 315 Comments

Failure of Friendship - snq144



Winter, 2014. A MyStable user calling themselves Anon-A-Miss has decided to start spreading rumours and secrets of the various members of Canterlot High School. Everyone except Sunset Shimmer, that is.

  • ...
33
 315
 15,447

Chapter 6: Chapter's End

Author's Note:

Hi all, a big note here, even though I still expect to get comments about it. Later on in the chapter, Sunset and the Sirens go to a bar and do karaoke. Now I copy-pasted 2 songs from Rainbow Rocks, as well as reworking (Honestly, more like ruined) Open Up Your Eyes, for Sunset. I hope you don't all come down too harshly, I just wanted to show the Sirens doing what they do best, and have Sunset along for the ride.

Enjoy the chapter, and the end of the first arc(?)

“Sunset? Who was that?” Adagio’s voice called out from around the corner as the sound of a door slamming radiated through the house. Sunset stomped over to the living room and collapsed into the sofa, screaming herself silent into the pillow she wrapped around her head.

“Sunset? What’s wrong?” Adagio paused as she watched Sunset get up and fling the pillow against the chesterfield resting across the room, giving another, almost feral sounding scream of pure rage.

“Twilight’s on the Rainbooms’ fucking side, that’s what!!” the girl’s eyes were pinpricks as they shook violently in their sockets, the lead Siren unsure if Sunset even saw her standing there. “Not only that, Celestia showed the Rainbooms that you live here! Now they’re never gonna leave me alone!!”

Adagio remained silent as Sunset continued to tear the room apart without actually damaging anything, the furious Equestrian showing great restraint in that regard, though she would have to return all the furniture to their proper positions. Instead, she turned her thoughts inwards.

She surprised herself when she found that she doubted that Celestia and Luna willingly showed the Rainbooms where they lived. Perhaps they were followed? But that doesn’t explain Twilight Sparkle’s actions. Was she really on the side of the Rainbooms? It seemed suspect, to the lead Siren, who saw firsthand that Twilight really cared for Sunset, when she reached out to the amber Equestrian during the finale of the Battle of the Bands.

Adagio watched as the telltale aura of negative emotion slowly flared to life around Sunset, embracing the girl. The energy crackled with intensity of the girl’s raging state, the Siren ignorant to her salivating maw that sat agape. She could feel herself reaching out towards it, coaxing it to her, only to hesitate. Something was… wrong… It was as if the emotions were bruising, a diseased purple overtaking the sickly green.

“I’m fucking done with all of them!!” Sunset yelled with her cracking voice, breaking Adagio out of her meditative state, her hand snapping back to her side as she heard the approach of both Aria and Sonata.

“Woah there, Sunset. You’re sounding a little hoarse there.” Aria smirked, only to stumble back as a pillow thrown at near mach speed collided harshly with her face, Sunset growling like a wild mongrel as she stared the Siren down.

“I don’t want to hear it, Aria!” she snapped, turning around and once more terrorizing the room.

“Um, what’s wrong with Sunset?” Sonata asked quietly, peeking over at Adagio with eyes full of concern.

“Yeah, I don’t think that’s supposed to look like that…” Aria added, closing the circle the Sirens now huddled in. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen it like that before.”

“I agree…” Adagio said, wiping away the drool that had built up at the corner of her lips as her wits fully returned to her. “I don’t know what’s causing that.”

“Something about being done with them?” Sonata asked, her usual ditzy expression returning to her face. “What did she mean by that?”

“Oh, that.” a heavy sigh radiated in Adagio’s mind at her sister’s comment. “Apparently her precious Princess Twilight arrived with both the Principals and the Rainbooms.”

“I thought you told Celestia not to do that!?” Aria hissed angrily, Adagio silencing her with a dark glare.

“I did, and I don’t think they would have. For now, we need to calm Sunset before she ruins our living room.”

It took a little while, but the Sirens finally managed to stop Sunset’s furious pacing and throwing of pillows. However once she started to calm down, her emotions change from fury to sorrow, and she wrapped herself around Sonata, quaking sobs shaking the two of them.

“Hey, we’re still here for you, Sunset.” the Siren said, faking as much of a reassuring smile as she could while patting the taller girl on the back. “We’ll be your friends.”

The three Sirens looked at on another in total loss of what to do with the current situation when Sunset started talking. “I just… I… I know I did some awful things in my past, but I’m trying to change for the better!”

“You’ve been trying for what, like, three months now, Shimmer?” Aria asked, her usual subtly and tack being shown as she looked at Sunset. “You’ve tried playing nice, and what has it got you? Crying in the arms of a former enemy who’s had to take you in because your supposed friends turned their backs on you, and an almost blind eye.”

“Aria!” Sonata exclaimed, looking extremely upset at her sister as she felt Sunset start to freeze up in her arms, only to be prevented speaking further as the purple Siren continued.

“Let me finish, Sonata! Look at yourself, Shimmer! One sight of them and you go from raging to crying like a little child! I thought we agreed to let a fucking badass stay here, not a little bitch!

“When we first showed up at CHS, and you showed us around, we could tell something was up, and we watched as you rolled over for any little snot nosed brat at that school and we thought nothing of you. But when we heard what you had been like, we got interested. When you showed up, injured and lost; when you told me you beat the ever living shit out of Gilda, you earned my respect!

“But if you’re just gonna keep trying to pretend like this hasn’t happened; that this is all some sort of dream, then I’d rather throw you back on the streets, cause you have no reason to stay in our house! I don’t CARE if you don’t want revenge- I really don’t! But you need to fucking grow a pair and get on with your life! Your not immortal!”

Silence washed over the room as Sonata watched her sister in abstract horror, Adagio wore a stony visage as she spectated quietly, and Aria simply crossed her arms as she scowled at the girl whose face was still stuffed into Sonata’s shoulder, her long mane of hair cascading over the girl’s upper body.

There was a loud, almost snort like sniffle as Sunset pushed herself off of Sonata, the girl looking tentatively up at her friend, unease radiating from her every expression as Sunset wiped a hand across her face. When her face was finally visible, the Siren’s could finally see just how swollen and red the girl’s eyes had gotten, even though one still lingered shut, the scab still causing issues opening it. Aria had expected a continued sob fest, perhaps even a fight, but instead, Sunset just gave a small, apologetic smile as she looked at the Siren.

“Thanks, Aria…” her voice was quiet, still crackling as started pulling a hand through her hair to try and straighten it. “I, uh… I really needed a good kick in the ass…”

“Uh… You’re welcome?” Aria coughed as she looked away, confused on what else to do now.

“I promise you three, I won’t let what’s happened get the best of me again. I am ready to move on in life, and it’s time I showed that… By, uh, cleaning up the living room…” Sunset gave a sheepish chuckle as she turned around and looked at where the grinning Adagio was pointing, rubbing the back of her head as laughter broke out from the three Sirens. “Man… Did I really do all that?”

(V):.:(V)

“Sunset! Hurry up already! We’re gonna miss sign ups at this rate!” Adagio’s voice echoed through the house as Sunset raced to finish getting changed. The Sirens had decided to take Sunset out to their favourite activity, karaoke. Sunset wasn’t surprised in the slightest, given their names, but what did surprise her was just how much they had dressed up for it. Or, in some cases, how little. Not to say that they could be mistaken as streetwalkers, but they were definitely leaving little to the imagination.

“Hold your horses!” she yelled back as she finished pulling on signature jacket from her old days at CHS, her fingers tracing along the material affectionately. She was actually starting to get giddy at the idea of going out, the only time she had done so with the Sirens so far was the shopping trip, or runs to get her belongings from her old apartment.

“We would if she were here with us!” Aria sounded quite mad, though Sunset could hear the giggling threatening to break through her voice.

She paused as she noticed her journal sitting on the desk, her previous trepidation starting to wash over her. No! she shook her head, her look turning to one of determination. My past is my past! It’s not my today! She grabbed the book, walking over to her massive closet and tossing it into one of the few cardboard boxes that remained of her things, mainly precious clothes that no long fit her.

“Sunset!” it was Sonata’s time to yell at her, sounding almost angry, or as close as the bubbly girl could get to.

“Coming!” she shouted, shutting her door and scurrying down the hallway, pausing at the washroom to grab a hair tie as she started running her hands through her hair. “Jeez, have a little patience, would ya? You’re the immortal ones here, remember?”

Aria gave a low wolf whistle as Sunset stopped in front of them, nodding in appreciation as Adagio face palmed dramatically. Sonata merely bounded up and started to swat playfully at the ponytail Sunset now wore, making small meowing noises as she did so.

“A little conservative, but I like the look, Shimmer.” Aria said with a crude chuckle and a sly wink before starting to make her way to the door, her boots clunking heavily against the floor. “Though what’s with the hairstyle change?”

“Oh, heh… I’ve always loved ponytails.” she chimed in as she finished putting on her own boots, the high heels adding a few more inches to her already spectacular height. “Even back in Equestria, whenever I saw a mare walk by with a ponytail I would just…”

The Sirens started giggling, certain that the shiver Sunset had just given was not due to the slight chill that had fallen over the city as night did the same. They entered the garage, the car giving a small beep as it started up, the darkness of the outside world starting to seep in through the opening garage door.

“So where are we going exactly?” Sunset asked as she slipped into the back of the car alongside Sonata, the girl purring happily as she leaned up along the taller girl. “I didn’t think there even was a karaoke place in Canterlot!”

“It’s a bar, actually.” Adagio said as she leaned around the side of the driver's seat as she started to back the car out of the garage. “The Storm King’s Cellar over in the college district, to be precise. It’s a frankly obtuse name if you ask us, but we have a bit of a reputation there for our performances.”

“...You sing in front of a bunch of drunk as hell frat boys for fun?” Sunset stared blankly at Adagio as the car paused it’s rearward motion, the Siren rolling her eyes and groaning.

“It’s the only place with proper acoustics in this whole damn city.” she said, shaking her head as the car finished pulling out and started to drive forward instead, Sunset chuckling at the Siren’s annoyed response.

“Hey, whatever floats your boat, Adagio. I just thought you Sirens would have a higher standard for your crowd.”

“What, like kids at CHS?” Aria snarked, looking back at Sunset through the rear view mirror as she sniggered quietly.

“God, a majority of that school wouldn’t know quality if it- I mean, you remember the blonde girl with the wall eye, right? I mean, no offence, but a saw? In an event titled the “Battle of the Bands”? At least Octavia had a proper instrument!”

“Octavia… You mean the girl with the cello?” Adagio’s brow furrowed as she tried to remember every little student at that school.

“Yes, that’s right.” came Sunset’s response, the amber girl nodding slightly.

“Oh, what I wouldn’t give to have her locked up in our house. I think she’s the best cellist that I’ve ever had the pleasure to listen to.” Sunset was amazed at the high praise the Siren was singing, an actually feeling of awe radiating from her voice. “I’ve always had a spot for the classics, and I dare say that she has a bright future ahead of her.”

“You should hear what her sister does, then. Some of the remixing Vinyl does with Octavia’s and Lyra’s works are spectacular.”

“Those two are sisters!?” Aria seemed like she was attempting to tear the seat she sat on out of the entire country with how much she was trying to turn and look at Sunset. “But they are total opposites!”

“I could say the same about you and your sisters.” Sunset giggled as she stuck out her tongue at the scoffing girl. “Your sisters have a sense of tact that put you to shame. Hell, I think even Rainbow Dash beats you.”

“As if! That girl couldn’t play her guitar well enough to save a burning orphans life!” hyena-like laughter erupted from Aria as street lights continued to pass at a steady pace.

“Hey! What’s our song list for the night?” Sonata butted in, Sunset noticing a small music player in her hands, its screen glowing brightly.

“Oh, probably do some of the pieces that Sunset heard at the Battle of the Bands.” Adagio said in an uninterested manner. “Hopefully she remembers enough of them to be a proper background singer with you three.”

“Oh! Oh!” cried the amber girl, reaching around and gently jabbing the shoulder of the now chuckling Adagio. “Is that where you’re trying to go with this!?”

“I’m just saying, Sunset. Music is in our very being, I wouldn’t expect the same standards out of you as I do us.”

“I don’t know what it was like back when the rocks in Equestria were soft, ya old hag, but in modern Equestria it’s almost a goddamn law that you have to break out into stupid songs at least once every half an hour!” Sunset shot back as returned back into her seat. “Don’t forget who it was that had to come in and sing the song that beat your weak asses!”

“Oooooooooh!” Sonata’s egging call echoed throughout the call as Sunset crossed her arms in smug victory.

“Besides. I even have a song ready for tonight myself.” she added, her smirk widening. “Something I’m expecting you to record for me.”

“When did you possibly have the time to write a song?” Aria asked incredulously, barking with laughter. “I haven’t seen you at your table aside to write in that journal!”

“Oh, just, ya know, earlier today. Something sort of popped into my mind after I threatened to call the police on those annoyances that stopped by earlier.”

(V):..:(V)

Yup, this place was your typical college style bar. Sure, it was a step above the rundown joint that she had occasionally stopped by back near her old apartment, but it wasn’t near the level of culture and class that she expected the Sirens to prefer. There was the noise associated with drunk frat boys, as well as the guaranteed scent of that disgusting body spray they like to use for some reason; prove that advertisements worked on those with pea sized brains.

“Hello, Reginald. I hope we have arrived in time to sign up for tonight?” Adagio purred as she lent onto the small desk manned by a massive brute of a man, muscles rippling through the tight embrace of his comically tight, and out of character, tuxedo. He seemed to look down at the Siren, though the aviators he wore hiding his eyes almost as much as the shadow that his top hat cast upon his upper face. He gave a small nod, uncrossing his arms as he thrust a sheet of paper forward upon a clipboard. “Thank you, dear.”

Sunset watched as Adagio started to fill in the sheet, a mess of scribbles was all she could see from the top portion, as well as the absolute giant of a man looking at her, his face complete unreadable as her reflection played off his glasses as she gave an uneasy wave. “Um, h-hi? I’m with them.”

“Oh, don’t mind him. He’s just checking you out.” Adagio said, causing Sunset’s cheeks to erupt into flames as Aria and Sonata giggled antagonistically. “So just the two songs for us tonight, keep it short and sweet, and leave them wanting for more. Here you are Sunset, why don’t you -snrk!- fill out your application?”

“Oh ha ha, skank.” Sunset snickered as she snatched the clipboard away, quickly scribbling in her name and the request of 1 song as Sonata handed over her music player.

“Here you are, just play them in order. Love me some Regi!” she waved happily as Sunset returned the clipboard and started dragging the Sirens into the bar.

“Ya know, I didn’t see many registrations.” Sunset commented as they made it into the bar proper, a small stage situated to the side that obviously was where they’d be performing.

“A lot of the students are probably home for the holidays still. Canterlot University draws students from all over the country.” came the response from the lead Siren as she slowly sashayed her way over to the bar. “Hello, Charlie. Long time no see. Our usuals, please. And whatever ponygirl there is having.”

“Whatever the hardest whiskey you have is. Neat, and as full as the largest glass you have is.” Sunset groaned as Adagio jerked her thumb back at her. The bartender, a heavyset, but not obese, man with a greyish pallor and angry, heavy set eyebrows nodded slowly before starting off to make their drinks. “So why is it that you like this place? I mean, acoustics is a weak reasoning.”

“That man is certainly a unicorn back in Equestria, cause what he can do with booze is nothing short of magical.” Aria seemed salivate at the thought before turning at pulling at the collar of her vest. “Plus it helps that we’re the best looking motherfuckers in here.”

Adagio’s snide streak returned as she leaned up against the counter. “Whiskey, huh? I took you as more of a cooler girl myself.”

“Wow, nothing but rude from you two tonight.” Sunset shook her head as she rest her hands on her hips. “I dare say I could pull up my top and everyone here would be eating from my hand. And coolers are fine if I want something fruity, but I think I’ll take something that might put a buzz on me if I keep drinking all night.”

“Heh, with the height and fat you’re storin? I’d think you’d need to down a kilo of absinthe for that!”

“Wooooow!” Sunset reared back in laughter at Aria’s continuing streak of sass. “Seriously, Aria. I get you want to be choked out in these arms of mine, but don’t go trying to provoke me now.”

The quartet continued to share banter and laughs, even after their drinks arrived. It wasn’t until a younger sounding voice called out over the boisterous twenty somethings that the four Equestrians finally quieted down.

“Ladies and gentlemen- If there are even any of you in here!- It is time that we start introducing our contestants for tonight’s karaoke showcase! Those of you who are regulars- Okay, so all of you- I am certain that you will love to hear this! Our very own mavens of the voice have graced us once again with their presences, and this time, they brought a new friend! Please welcome to the stage, The Sirens!”

To say that the applause, catcalls, clapping, and whistles, was deafening would be an understatement. Sunset swore that the place was about to fall down thanks to the exuberance from the half drunk humans threatening to rampage through the bar.

“That’s our cue, newbie.” Adagio said, dragging a digit along Sunset’s chin before making her way to the stage, obviously relishing in the attention she was getting. Sunset let them have their little moment before slamming back the last of her drink and giving a loud whistle, silencing everyone and gaining the attentions of the three girls standing up on the stage.

Sunset gave a victorious smirk as she felt all eyes shift to her, giving a quick nod to the girls on the stage before slowly pulling off her jacket and slinging it onto the counter. She heard some idiot call out for her to take more off, so instead she grabbed the hem of her tight tank top and hoisted it up, up, and further up her body, until it sat tantalizingly shy of her prodigious bust line, and started tying it off, as her firm core showed itself to the crowd. Numerous wolf whistles called out from the crowd as Sunset reached back and grabbed her jacket, flinging it across her shoulder as she started her own slow walk up to the stage, her hiphuggers fulfilling their title perfectly as she watched Aria start to grow weak in the knees as Sunset approached.

“Aren’t you missing someone?” she asked victoriously, cocking her hip as she rested her hand on it, eyes looking down at the fellow members of her group.

“Well…” Adagio said, obviously struggling to regain control of the situation, only for Sunset to purse her lips and start shushing the girl, placing her finger delicately against the Siren’s plush lips.

“Shhh… Don’t you worry your big brain there, Adagio. I’m here for you.” for once, it was the Siren’s turn to blush in embarrassment, her eyes dilating dramatically as she stood there in shocked silence, her cheeks aflame. “Why don’t we go ahead and start singing?”

Adagio looked lost as she looked around, the whistles from the crowd more focused on the implications of Sunset’s actions. Indeed, her intelligence that she so vastly prided herself on was seemingly missing as her mind was rebooting, completely at a loss for what Sunset had just done to her. The closest thing she could think of was what Aria always described upon seeing Sunset’s musculature.

Adagio paused and took a deep breath, centering herself before her eyes shot back open and she glared at Sunset in annoyance, though the keen eyed Equestrian could easily make out the hint of confusion still glittering in their corners as the lead Siren swatted back at her.

“Play the first track!” she called out, walking to the front of the stage with an even more emphasized swing to her ample hips, glaring back at the trio to get into position. “Remember, Sunset, you’re backup. Just follow Sonata and Aria. And no fancy choreography, girls. Sunset would just mess it up.”

Sunset smirked and shook her head, as Adagio turned back to the front of the stage, the lights almost flickering out entirely as a deep, instantly familiar beat started. It thrummed heavily, filling Sunset with the memories of that night those many weeks ago as the crowd grew silent, the lights slowly fading into existence and casting their growing lights onto the four of them. This wasn’t her song, this was the Siren’s song, the song of their victory, but it still echoed in her mind, and as if on instinct, she opened her mouth in time with the other three Equestrians.

“Ah, ah-ah, ah,

Ah, ah-ah, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah, ah-ah, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ahh, ah-ah, ah, ah-ah,

Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,”

The crowd remained silent as the voices of the four girls washed over them, soaking into their very beings as Adagio took a step forward. Sunset hadn’t even noticed that the four of them didn’t have microphones, but that didn’t matter. The Sirens had millennia of experience, and all she had to do was follow them as best as possible.

“Welcome to the show…” Adagio sang, Sunset certain that her smug smile from that night was once again plastered on her face as she held her hands out towards the crowd, and right on cue, the trio of Aria, Sonata, and herself added their small part, and would continue to do so.

“Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah,

We're here to let you know... (Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,)

Our time is now... (Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah,)

Your time is running out... (Ah, ah, ah,)”

Sunset was amazed at just how the crowd was reacting; or rather, weren’t. They were wholly and solely engrossed in the four of them, and Sunset could feel the small hairs across her body start to stand up on edge. There was a small taste on the back of her tongue, what she could only describe as… tangy, yet it was there, hidden just away, but minutely noticeable. Before she could start to ponder it, the chorus started up again, all four stepping forward and swaying in time with each other.

“Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,

“Feel the wave of sound,

As it crashes down,

You can't turn away,

We'll make you wanna stay!”

Sunset felt a slight step from Adagio on her toe, the girl’s eyes flitting to the Siren who just gave a small nod without looking back, striding forward powerfully, her majestic voice sending chills down Sunset’s spine.

“We will be adored!” she cried, the eyes of the nearby crowd members glazing over as Sonata strode forward, Sunset catching a hint of the devious smile that she wore on occasion.

“Tell us that you want us!” her higher pitched voice rang out, Sunset almost falling prey to it, the words carrying a mix of both command, and begging.

“We won’t be ignored!” Aria was the next one up, her powerful voice sending shock waves through Sunset, just as much as her earlier words that finally broke her from her funk.

Sunset strode forward, more like a marionette on its strings, she hadn’t even realized that the Sirens had split to allow room for her, and if she had a mirror, she wouldn’t recognize the hungry, almost predatory look spreading across her face as she reached the front of the stage.

“It’s time for our reward!” the crowd went wild as Sunset finally got a chance to stand alone, to project her melodic tones to them, and though the back of her mind called out for more, she told it to wait, as all four formed up and joined back together as one.

“Now you need us!

Come and heed us!

Nothing can stop us now!”

“Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,”

“What we have in store, (Ah-ah,)

All we want and more, (Ah-ah,)

We will break on through, (Ah-ah,)

Now it's time to finish you!”

“Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah,

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah...”

The music slowly started to die off, the four Equestrians standing proudly on the stage as the applause rang through the hall. Sunset was breathless as it all washed over her, panting slightly as the Sirens waved and giggle to one another as they gather Sunset and took a few steps back.

“Well, not bad for a newbie.” Aria said, playfully slugging Sunset’s shoulder. “We may make a Siren out of you yet.”

“You read the clues easily enough, though I may have had to draw you to them first. Either way, I am impressed.” Adagio gave a small smirk as she peered up at the immense height of Sunset. “Take thirty seconds to catch your breath, we have a more lively song coming up.”

“It’s the one from the start of the actual brackets!” Sonata whispered, Sunset instantly understanding why Adagio mentioned lively. It started as soon as the music did if Sunset recalled, and judging by the slow dimming of the lights, those thirty seconds were going to be a luxury. The music started and barely a fraction of a second later, all four burst into their final song.

“Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh,

You didn't know that you fell...

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh,”

Adagio once again strode forward, the swaying of her body still a spectacle to Sunset as the lead singer brought her mic up to her mouth, the beat starting to thump in time with her singing once again.

“Now that you're under our spell.

Blindsided by the beat,

Clapping your hands, stomping your feet.

You didn't know that you fell...”

And once again, Sunset fell in time with the other two Sirens, providing the small bridges for Adagio to draw the crowd in, as she had done countless times before.

“Oh-whoa-oh-oh,”

“Now you've fallen under our spell,”

“Oh-whoa-oh-oh-oh,”

This time, there was no breaking apart for single line solos, each of the four pouring there efforts together to leave the crowd in a frenzy, Sunset noticing that the movements of the four where reaching a near perfect sync.

“We've got the music, makes you move it,

Got the song that makes you lose it.

We say "Jump!"; you say "How high?"

Put your hands up to the sky!

We've got the music, makes you move it,

Got the song that makes you lose it.

We say "Jump!"; you say "How high?"

Put your hands up to the sky!”

“Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh,

You didn't know that you fell...

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh,

Now that you're under our spell.”

“Listen to the sound of my voice… (Oh-oh, whoa-oh!)

Soon you'll find you don't have a choice… (Oh-oh, whoa-oh!)

Captured in the web of my song... (Oh-oh, whoa-oh!)

Soon you'll all be singing along... (Oh-oh, whoa-oh!)

“We've got the music, makes you move it,

Got the song that makes you lose it.

We say "Jump!"; you say "How high?"

Put your hands up to the sky!

We've got the music, makes you move it,

Got the song that makes you lose it.

We say "Jump!"; you say "How high?"

Put your hands up to the sky!”

“Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

Now that you're under our spell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

You didn't know that you fell

Oh-whoa-oh, oh-whoa-oh

Now that you're under our-”

Adagio stepped in front of her three backup singers, emphasizing the last word she would sing that night.

“Spell…”

Only for what Sunset could only describe as heartless, villainous laughter to radiate out of Adagio, reminding her of the terror she had felt during that event. The crowd loved it however, the hollering and cheering shattered the dark memories, only doubling when she watched the Sirens grab her and walk her forward, before taking a step back and bowing to her, clapping their hands and grinning.

That was yet another something the Sirens wouldn’t normally do, but every action they had taken had proved that they had decided to treat her as a member of their group. As a friend. She could only smile and wave at the crowd, laughing at the situation as the male voice from earlier rang back out over the crowd.

“Let’s hear it once more for the Sirens! And I hope you liked their new friend, because she’s our next showcase!”

“Hey! Adagio!” Sunset called out as the three Sirens started to depart the stage, their leader pausing and looking back at Sunset. “I want you to record this for me! I know your phone is capable!”

“Why?” the girl called back as a microphone was brought up to the stage, an Adagio worthy grin spreading over Sunset’s face as she grabbed the mic off the stand.

“Because I don’t want you to forget this!” Sunset’s voice radiated through the hall thanks to the microphone, her cheeks flushing before she turned to the crowd, her mental reflexes keeping her on her feet. “This is the first time any of you have seen me here, and I’m not sure when I’ll be coming back, so I hope you’re all ready for a night you’ll never forget!”

Sunset drowned out the sound of everybody cheering her on, instead focusing on the fire that had been lit inside of her those hours ago, when the world seemed ready to crash down upon her once again; when her only friend had turned her back on her, and revealed who her real friends were. There was no way that this could make it to Equestria, but it didn’t matter. It was time to show the world that she was done with its bullshit trying to keep her down.

“Before we start, I want to preface this song. It’s an original piece, I’m actually going to be shooting from the hip so to speak. I had my world turned on its head earlier today, everything I had strived for pulled out from under me. I owe this song to the Sirens, for standing by me, and dedicate this song to those that had tried to ruin everything for me…”

Sunset grew quiet as she pulled the mic up to her mouth, the crowd growing quiet, waiting with bated breath to the goddess on the stage to start. No heavy thrumming or upbeat music filled the air as Sunset opened her mouth, a sombre, melancholic tone washing out over the crowd.

“It's past time I learned this lesson…

It's past time that I understood…

Be careful who it is you count on…

In this or any other land…”

Sunset opened up her eyes, a sad smile playing at her lips as she looked down at the Sirens. The light left them as nothing but shadows, hiding their expressions from her sight, but she knew they were watching her, just as the rest of the crowd did as she continued on in a dour voice.

“I once had hoped for friendship...

To find my place, among this kind...

But those were the childish wishes...

Of someone who was blind…”

Sunset paused for a moment, looking up at the crowd as flashes of the Rainbooms surrounding her after the Battle of the Bands passed over the crowd like a mirage, of Twilight Sparkle reaching down into the crater to pull her out. A single tear started to build up in the corner of her eye as whispering could be heard. Not judging, questioning whispering like she had dealt with during Anon-A-Miss, but of concern. A defiant smile erupted from her face as she strode forward, powerfully belting out in a more victorious tone.

“You’ve opened up my eyes!

See the world from where I now stand!

Me among the wicked!

You turning traitor behind my back!

You’ve opened up my eyes!”

That caught the crowd’s attention, the dramatic shift into action and ferocity spreading among the crowd as they started to cheer Sunset on, even as she took a few steps back and drew back into herself, her tone turning cool and bitter, a snarl coming to her face.

“Give up your sweet fantasyland!

It's time to grow up; and get wise!

Come now little Princess!

Open up your eyes!”

“We all start out the same...

With simple naïve trust.

Shielded from the many ways,

That life's not fair or just.”

The crowd had grown somewhat quiet again, engrossed on every word coming from Sunset’s mouth. She knew not where the words were flowing from, only that they were fueled by her anger and her disappointment, her feelings of total betrayal.

“But then there comes a moment...

A simple truth that I’ve now faced.

If you depend on others...

You'll never find your place…”

Her voice grew quiet, like a whisper compared to the bombastic bellowing of her third verse. It was time for her to start anew, and this was her way of telling it to the world, to those that sought to trap her in a cage of her past failures.

“And now as I take this first step,

Upon a path that's once again is all my own...

I can see it all so clearly...

Friendship is a tool and nothing more!”

Her pitch returned to its explosive pitch, drowning the crowd in the sea of her emotions, only to pull them right back up as she surged with new purpose in life.

“You’ve opened up my eyes!

See the world from where I now stand!

Me among the wicked!

You turning traitor behind my back!

“Open up your eyes!

And behold the setting sun!

It's time to grow up and get wise,

Come now little Princess...

And open up your eyes!

Like you’ve opened up my eyes!”

Sunset stood there on the stage, breathless and panting. A single feeling washed over her as the mic dropped from her numb fingers, her eyes wide and sightless as she stumbled slowly to the edge of the stage, grabbing her jacket and weakly fiddling with it before pulling it onto her back as she staggered her way out of the bar and into the cold winter night, the single feeling keeping her warm from the freezing embrace of the air.

Vindication...

(V):..:(V)

“What the hell was that…?” Aria asked as the Sirens exited out into the cold, Sunset leaning emotionlessly against the wall, staring blankly up at the cloudy sky.

All three of the Sirens had been rendered speechless by Sunset’s performance, of the raw emotions that had flown out of her. As beings that thrived on negative emotion, they had been consumed by the flurry of conflicting emotions that had flowed freely from the girl.

“The ending of a chapter…” Sunset said quietly, looking over and giving a small, lazy smile to her new friends. “And I have you three to thank.”

The three Sirens looked around at each other in confusion. The tone that was carried by Sunset’s words was different from all the previous times that the girl had thanked them for their actions. She had thanked them honestly for their good deeds, for their assistance in stabilizing her life.

This time she was thanking them for something more.

“Did you record that like I asked?” Sunset asked, starting to walk towards the car, the Sirens following behind with dumb looks.

“Uh, y-yeah.” Sonata said, her brain utterly frazzled. She had held the phone eerily still during the whole show, centered on Sunset as she sang her heart out, her emotions catching and consuming everyone in the crowd in their raging current. “Why did you…?”

“I have some people to send that to…” Sunset replied without looking back, pausing to look up at the sky as the clouds slowly parted as if for her, revealing a small collection of twinkling stars to match the small smile on her face.

Comments ( 57 )
CSC

Great job!!!!

Nice changes to Tempest Shadow's song:scootangel:!

“I have some people to send that to…” Sunset replied without looking back, pausing to look up at the sky as the clouds slowly parted as if for her, revealing a small collection of twinkling stars to match the small smile on her face.

I bet I know who....:ajsmug:.

9163038

Mare do Well: So let's see the problems in this case....oh. here it is: YOURSELF!!! You didn't even consider talking to RD about her behavior and thought "Here's a good way to teach her a lesson in humility: ruin her life and betray her loyalty and friendship by dressing up as a Batman reject and having the entire town reject and turn on her. EVEN SCOOTALOO betrayed her and caeed more about you five than her. And when everything came to light you still took all the credit and showed off WHEN YOU WERE TRYING TO STOP HER FROM DOING THE SAME.

Thank you for pointing that out! No matter how much people say that Twilight and the others were right to do what they did, I will always hate that episode:twilightangry2:!

Adagio remained silent as Sunset continued to tear the room apart without actually damaging anything, the furious Equestrian showing great restraint in that regard, though she would have to return all the furniture to their proper positions. Instead, she turned her thoughts inwards.

She surprised herself when she found that she doubted that Celestia and Luna willingly showed the Rainbooms where they lived. Perhaps they were followed?

Yes. They were followed.

But that doesn’t explain Twilight Sparkle’s actions. Was she really on the side of the Rainbooms? It seemed suspect, to the lead Siren, who saw firsthand that Twilight really cared for Sunset, when she reached out to the amber Equestrian during the finale of the Battle of the Bands.

Nope. She was not on the Rainbooms side.

I truly hope that Sunset reads and listens to what Twilight writes. Or at least that Adagio reads it and manages to convince Sunset it was a misunderstanding.

9167143
Well, I hope so too. But, we have to wait until the next chapter to find out.

Oh, this is gonna be interesting...
But seesh, that song. Talk about emotional. More just curiousity talking here, but how long that that take to think up? Or am I missing that as being an actual song?
(okay, wait, found it. MLP Movie. Never seen it before, so that seemed original to me. Okay. Still great for Sunset though.)

Will the Crusaders finally be found out? I hope so soon.

Sunset's letting her emotions cloud her judgement. I don't condone the Rainboom's actions/choices but Sunset's starting to fall into a similar pattern where she gets angry and reacts without thinking first. She's practically mirroring them. Hopefully she'll break the cycle before it's too late.

In any case the Shimmer/Dazzling quartet is always a good development IMO. We know Sunset can and likes to sing and having people she can relate to sing with her seems like good medicine.

Oh no the rainbooms are going to get a two poring attack. Both of them could easily destroy them. But I think it is the song that’s going to do the most damage. I think Princess Twilight will ruthlessly tear into them. And then the video will appear. I can hear someone going KNOCKOUT! And if that doesn’t happen all Twilight will have to say: “I have to prove I’m her real friend.” Basically Twilight starting the wound and Sunset adding the salt with Twilight ending with lemon juice.

It’s going be a while before Pinkie’s hair is going to return to normal

Nice twist on the song Open Up Your Eyes. From My Little Pony the Movie 2017! Sung by Tempest Shadow voiced by Emily Blunt.

Let this be a lesson to all. If someone says they are done with you, respect their wishes or they will record a boss villain song at you.

Adaigo was spot on with her thoughts at the start of the chapter, she just needs to talk them over with Sunset, who HAS to know that Twilight, Celestia, and Chrysalis were followed. Heck, she saw the Rainbooms running up, so... I think she was just pissed at seeing them again and that Twilight went to see them first; I wonder what will happen when she learns about what Pony!Dash did to Human!Dash? Maybe if Twilight goes over to the Siren's house solo the minute she steps out of the portal, she can at the very least clear things up about her stance on things?

But yes, I have hope that Adagio will do the right thing and tell Sunset all this (because she cares about her), but I agree with Widdog88: between the revelation about the CMC undoubtedly coming their way, Sunset's solo, and Twilight's second inevitable explosion (oh God she's gonna recognize the song holy schnapps), it'll be a miracle if the Rainbooms will ever leave their rooms again.

Um Im all for an angry Sunset after anon-a-miss but you do realize you just pushed her into Rainboom territory. She just lost the moral high ground that put the righteous in her anger and damaged the sympathy she deserves.

She didn't even give Twilight a chance to talk before being sure she was guilty of an offense against her. Hmmm where have I read of that happening before? Hopefully when Twilight tries contacting her again she behaves better than the antagonist Rainbooms did and gives her a chance to explain and then trusts that Twilight really is her friend. Otherwise her anger makes her the Rainbooms all over again.

I have a feeling that Sunset accusing Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Chrysalis of being against her may have been mostly out of anger and was letting herself get overtaken by her fragile emotional state of mind especially since it all happened out of nowhere

Everyone, play & listen to this, when its Sunset's turn sing her version of "Open Up Your Eyes" you won't regret it!

9167548
9167205
9168183

Nick_The_Savage_174 has it right, Sunset had been struggling with her thoughts regarding the Rainbooms, and when they suddenly show up at her house at the same time as Princess Twilight and the Principals and start saying things, she takes it the wrong way and lashes out. Her decisions and reactions are entirely based on negative emotions, and she doesn't realize at the time that she is acting no different than that of the Rainbooms. It is all part of the plan.

9169463
:yay: I’m glad I got it right! However, I am wondering about a few things after reading this chapter.
1: Even though i highly doubt it, does your fic take place after the mlp movie? If so, it would be interesting if twilight saw the video and had flashbacks to her encounter with Tempest.
2: Giving that Sunset’s version of “Open Up Your Eyes” focuses on being turned on and losing friendship, is it safe to say that later on at some point, she may possibly sing a different version of “My Past Is Not Today” signaling that she has officially moved on from whole Anon-a-miss thing.
3: I swear Sunset, you play the guitar like a badass, fight like a savage, and can sing incredibly well; what else are you hiding or haven’t shown us yet?! I seriously think you should consider auditioning for Canterlot’s Got Talent or Canterlot Idol :pinkiehappy:

9169814
1. Way before. I've tried my best to match up the movie timeline with the show timeline, but the show makes it really hard to do so. The movie is still quite a ways away yet.
2. This song was dedicated to both parts, her venting on everything that's happened and coming to accept where she is now in life. She is done with Anon-A-Miss, the Rainbooms, and Equestria, and sees the Sirens as her only real friends in the current moment.
3. I'm totally biased towards her, but I see Sunset as someone who has amazing natural talents and capabilities. She is obviously incredibly intelligent, as I imagine that is a necessity to become one of Celestia's prized pupils, plus it was shown in Friendship Games that she was almost on Par with Sci-Twi, though my bias shows cause I think she is better. She is quite physically capable, as having to rule CHS would involve more than just a clever mind given that you have students like the Diamond Dog Brothers and Gilda, because even if she was clever, if she was ganged up on, she wouldn't still be leading the school, blackmail or not.

I hope Anoa-A-Miss is revealed to everyone next chapter! I just wanna see them suffer already!!! :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy:

9169853
We see in the shorts that sunset is a fencer so yes she would be in really good shape and have fighting ability

Is there a reason this is tagged as Complete? Is this going into separate stories for each arc? .-.

Edit: Ah. Nevermind. I see the new story, though you may want to put it as a sequel

9170883
I have not seen all the shorts, but good to know.

9171256
I thought I had, thank you for informing me.

9171531 you should catch up when you have time the shorts really do show of sunset many talants .

*Sees the tags for the sequel story.*

:ajbemused: No, just no. Sorry man, but I'm sitting that one out.

9167548
While I do agree, perhaps Twilight should've had someone guarding the Rainbooms to make sure they didn't follow her.

She paused as she noticed her journal sitting on the desk, her previous trepidation starting to wash over her. No! she shook her head, her look turning to one of determination. My past is my past! It’s not my today! She grabbed the book, walking over to her massive closet and tossing it into one of the few cardboard boxes that remained of her things, mainly precious clothes that no long fit her.

Congrats Sunny, you’re a hypocrite. Upset the Rainbooms wouldn’t give her a chance to explain, while at the same time denying Twilight the same opportunity. There goes any and all simpathy I had for her.

9183862
While Sunset's actions are indeed dangerously similar to the Rainbooms, she doesn't see it that way. At this point she is running on emotions of pain and betrayal, and that leads her down the same road as the Rainbooms and the rest of the school during Anon-A-Miss. She sees it as everyone she knows (minus the Sirens) turning on her, having never actually forgiven her for her actions. If they won't give her a second chance, why should she do the same for them, after how they treated her between Fall Formal and Battle of the Bands. She sees the Rainbooms as trying to apologize for their sakes, not because they believe they were wrong.

Her actions are indeed hypocritical, and she will face that at a later date.

9184052
I get this, but I'm going to let the sequel progress a bit before diving in. I'm not saying it's a bad story or anything; I actually quite enjoy this fic. I'm just stating my stance on where/how I see the protagonist at this point. I look forward to seeing where this all goes.

9184052
I have no sympathy for the Rainbooms, in my eyes they should have left Sunset alone and give her time to cool down, the forgiveness must be on her part and when the time is right for her or they must accept that she won’t forgive them

9208554
If you don't want to read shipping, you should probably stop reading fanfic. Shipping and hurt/comfort are the two most popular forms of fanfic. By far.

Comment posted by CosmosGalen deleted Oct 14th, 2018
Comment posted by CosmosGalen deleted Oct 14th, 2018

9228034

9210378

9208554

I suggest you go read other stories then. For now, I'm going to delete these, seeing as you had nothing insightful to criticize with, other than brainless bantering.

9229720
First of all i didn't ask you to change what you wrote. I complained that it was another lame fourth wall breaker joke. Thats all and if you can't handle even light criticism like this then yeah i think i will stop reading. Good day to you sir.

9208204
I do an absolute mountain of in-jokes for my readers!

9190426
Yeah I agree. What the bloody hell were they thinking? They should've gave her some time to cool down after they figured out where she was and then tried to meet with her one at a time away from the manor instead of mobbing her immediately.

Comment posted by Buraki deleted Apr 9th, 2019

9282507
May I ask what you mean?

i should be happy for sunset but her actions make me very angry they ask for forgiveness no beg for it and she spats at them she destroyed the bonds they made and fractured their friendship so im saying is shame is on you sunset shimmer

Orrm #43 · Jan 13th, 2019 · · 1 ·

9383327
Aye, hurt someone, make them cry and burn their relation to you. Be not surprised when they spit on ye bridge and lit it aflame, for it is no less than ye did yerself.

9383327
I think it was a case of "too little, too late"

Also here's something about the word "sorry", it doesn't fix everything, does it magically fix a broken plate?, no it doesn't

Although the pain can be mended and apologies can be given, the relationship will never be able to be put back together the same again just like how a broken plate can't be put back together the same again.

Also Trust is like a piece of paper, once it’s crumpled it can’t be perfect again. You can flatten the paper and try and make it as straight as you want, but it will never be perfect again.

Sunset may forgive them in time but that doesn't mean she'll trust them again

also I believe that you can't force a person to forgive you if you've wronged them, they must be given time and it's their choice to forgive you or not

Also they lost her trust as well, she trusted them to stick by her side and they let her down

trust and forgiveness are two different things, never confuse them

This whole story... If it was put on r/AmITheAsshole, then this whole story is her transforming into one.

The solution, if one really had jerks treat them like that, then beg for forgiveness? Accept the apology, try and think about if you want them back in your life, and then tell them whether or not you want to keep in contact.

That's what I did.

You get a favorite for it being well written, but I can't in good conscience like it, because it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

9472571 Well said.:twilightsmile:

nice work on this story.

9647660
Honestly it's not that different elsewhere. If you gang up on someone you're already in deep trouble, but there's a special rule even in the most strict self-defense states that talks about re-engagement. If a person attempts to withdraw from a fight that has already been disengaged, and you pursue them, it becomes aggravated assault/deadly assault and they are justified in their defense until you are incapacitated.

They aren't lawbound to keep letting you jump them.

Login or register to comment