• Published 2nd Aug 2018
  • 15,413 Views, 314 Comments

Failure of Friendship - snq144



Winter, 2014. A MyStable user calling themselves Anon-A-Miss has decided to start spreading rumours and secrets of the various members of Canterlot High School. Everyone except Sunset Shimmer, that is.

  • ...
33
 314
 15,413

Chapter 3: A Long Day's Night

Author's Note:

To those reading this as soon as it's been published, there have been changes to previous chapters, as noted in my recent small blog post.

“So… Home sweet home, huh?” Sunset paused as she looked around the room. It was the same as when she slept here days ago, large, plush bed taking up the middle of the room, a closet that seemed like half the size of her entire flat, and a ‘small’ writing desk against the far wall.

“Compared to that icebox you were living in? I would hope so!” Aria remarked with a smug smile as she finished setting down one of the boxes of Sunset’s meager belongings. “I guess you weren’t joking when you said you went into the hallways to warm up! How haven’t you frozen to death somehow!?”

“I can give you a proper tour now if you’d like!” Sonata beamed as she jumped up and down excitedly, hand waving high above her head.

“Pass from me. I’m going to take a hot bath.” Aria waved as dismissively as her tone as she left the room, visibly shivering still.

“Sure, it would probably be good to know the layout of this place since I’m gonna be staying for a little bit.” Sunset chuckled as she deposited her swollen backpack onto her new bed. “You coming as well, Adagio?”

“It would be best if I did. Don’t want Sonata to give you the wrong understanding of our humble home.” Adagio said with a sly smile as Sunset walked past her.

“As humble as you are, Adagio?” Sunset chuckled as the door to her room shut behind the orange locked Siren.

“Perish the thought, dear.”

“Umm… Are you done flirting with her, Adagio?” Sonata asked, her head tilted slightly to the side. A flaming blush erupted across the faces of both warm hued Equestrians at the girl’s comment, before Sunset burst into mirthful laughter.

“S-Sonata!” the shorter girl exclaimed, stuttering in her embarrassment. “I was not- Would you- Just- Let’s show Sunset the house.”

Sonata gave an uninterested shrug of her shoulders before starting to skip away gaily as Sunset and Adagio shared looks. Well more of Sunset smirking as she looked down at her host who was busy removing her palm from her face.

“I swear, that girl is more mischievous than she looks…” the pale yellow Equestrian groaned before looking up at Sunset, and freezing in response to the amber girl’s look. “Oh not you as well…!”

Sunset chortled as she walked away.

(V):.:(V)

To say the house was massive was an understatement; Sunset’s old flat was probably smaller than the front entrance, let alone everything else! She was situated on the second floor, along with the Sirens, and was shown each of the different rooms hidden around the long hallway.

“This is my painting room!” Sonata giggled happily as she threw open the large, oaken door. A mess of sheeting, absolutely splattered with paint, covered the floor, and multiple easels stood at various angles and heights.

“Wow…” Sunset whispered under her breath, awed at the works sitting on display. “Those are amazing, Sonata!”

The blue Siren gave an even more adorable giggle as a proud smile spread across her face, one of her delicate fingers scratching at her cheek. “Thanksies! It’s a lot of fun- at least as long as Aria doesn’t come in and ruin everything.”

Adagio and Sunset shared an understanding chuckle as Sonata shut the door behind them, before moving on down the hall. The next door was seemingly in the corner, the hallway turning down and to the side.

“This is our library.” Adagio said as she entered, Sonata and Sunset following behind carefully. “It’s one of my pride and joys.”

The entire wall was seemingly made of glass as it stretched up two floors. A spiral staircase sat to Sunset’s side, allowing someone to walk up to the second floor. Rows upon rows of shelves ran all around Sunset, with a comparably small open area, ornate furniture sitting and waiting near a large table.

“This is my favourite room…” Sunset muttered with her maw agape. So much knowledge! Just looked how packed the shelves were! How old were some of those books!?

“I thought you called us nerds, Sunset?” Adagio chuckled as she watched the amber girl wipe a strand of drool off of her chin.

“I never said I wasn't! Seriously! This looks as full as Celestia’s private library!”

“I would hope so. We’ve been gathering these over our time here.” the pride coming from Adagio’s voice only edged on Sunset’s scholastic fire.

“Can I read these?” she begged, holding her hands together as she dropped to the floor in front of the Siren, her eye wide. Adagio burst out into song like laughter at the girl’s actions, the air radiating with the sound of her amusement.

“Of course. These are all reproductions we have made over the years. We keep the originals in a much safer place.” she said as she finally caught her breath, finally looking down at Sunset. Her brow furrowed as she studied the girl’s further widening smile. “What’s with that look?”

“...Originals…?” came the quiet, overly hopeful whisper from the kneeling girl.

“No.” Adagio shook her head, Sunset giving a loud whine which only sent the Siren giggling again. “I’m sorry, Sunset. But a lot of those are older than this city by nearly nine fold. They are only seen under very specific circumstances.”

“You tease.” the amber girl snarked back as she slowly stood up.

“I have been called that before, yes.” the Siren gave a knowing wink as she slowly walked past Sunset, her wide hips sashaying with each step, delicately brushing up against Sunset as she passed by. The Equestrian felt her pulse stop for a moment as Adagio gave a soft purr, the sultry look in her eye causing a warm sweat to build on Sunset’s brow before Adagio walked out the door.

“Wow…” Sonata said slowly, returning Sunset to real time with a jolt. “I haven’t seen Adagio use that much of her charm in centuries.”

Sunset’s response was a blubbering, gurgled mess as the unicorn tried to recenter herself. “Ah, bwuh… Wha…?”

Sonata gave a soft shrug as she walked after her fellow Siren. “Adagio always loved attention the most. She would go into villages and gather everyone around her, everyone fawning over her.”

“Are you two coming?” the girl said from around the door, her voice alone causing a tremble in Sunset’s heart.

The rest of the house tour had been thankfully devoid of Adagio teasing Sunset any further, the amber girl thanking the stars for that, as she wasn’t sure if she’d be able to tell Adagio to stop. At least now she knew where everything was, where and where not to go, and was able to return back to her room to start putting away her things, humming happily as she did so.

(V):..:(V)

“I thought this was supposed to get us more time with them…” Scootaloo whined as she watched Sweetie Belle shut the door with a quick hip check, her hands full with a tray of mugs filled with steaming hot chocolate and a plate laden with cookies.

“We all did, Scoot.” Apple Bloom groaned loudly back. This hadn’t been the first time that the shortest girl of the three of them had brought up that point when they were alone. “I didn’t think that they’d go back to her after all we did.”

It was true that the Rainbooms had ignored Sunset during the previous week, ousting her from their group just like the three girls had planned, but instead of having more time for them, the five older girls spent more time with one another, or other schoolmates.

“...I liked them better at the start of the week.” Scootaloo spoke up again, this time earning groans from both of her fellows.

Indeed, just as the Rainbooms had changed when they first thought Sunset was guilty of being Anon-A-Miss, they had changed even more drastically the day that Sunset left the school. Whereas the start of the week was them being filled with anger over their embarrassing secrets being revealed, and the apparent betrayal of Sunset, when they realized as a group that Sunset was innocent, they had fallen into despair.

“I had to do Rarity’s laundry again yesterday…” Sweetie Belle said quietly. Her sister had hardly left her room over the past five or so days, her door remaining locked as wailing sobbing could be heard from it. The only time she had left had been with the other members of the Rainbooms, and apparently they had run into Sunset at the mall, accompanied by the Sirens who she still seemed to call her friends. “Ice cream stains are so hard to get out of silk…”

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen AJ miss out on Granny Smith’s apple pie before. Heck, I don’t think I’ve seen her miss out on a meal before.” Apple Bloom added in equal exhaustion. Whenever she had tried to reach out to her older sister, Applejack would always turn her down, no matter what the offer was. Each time, Applejack’s emerald eyes would seemed glazed over, and empty, missing their usual spark of life. Apple Bloom had once overheard her sister crying in her room one night, saying that she had made the biggest mistake of her life.

Scootaloo scoffed as she downed her third cookie, crumbs spilling over her crossed legs as her cheeks puffed out in a squirrel like manner. “Well at least she taught Gilda a lesson on her way out!” she said bombastically, a smirk coming to her face. “That bitch had been treating me like crap all year!”

“We never should have done this…” Scootaloo froze as she heard Apple Bloom whisper impossibly quietly.

“What? What are you talking about, Bloom? Sunset’s gone, Gilda’s gone; the school is safe, finally! Mission accomplished!” Scootaloo said with a hurried, hushed pace, making sure to keep quiet in case someone was standing outside the door to Sweetie Belle’s room.

“Yeah, Sunset’s gone and Gilda’s in the hospital!” the farm girl growled, her eyes narrowing dangerously as she looked up at her sporty friend. “Bully or not, Gilda didn’t deserve that.”

“Hey, what’s your problem? She swung at Sunset first, remember? And wasn’t she the one who ruined your science project at the end of last year?” Scootaloo said with an equally growing ire as she eyed her friend.

“But that doesn’t mean she should be spending the holidays in the hospital!” it was Sweetie Belle’s turn to pipe up, her voice squeaking. “We may as well agree that we fell to Gilda’s level. To… To the old Sunset’s level…”

“Hey, you two know we can never reveal this, right? We’d probably get charged and sent to Juvie!” Scootaloo was suddenly slightly jumpy as that thought crossed her mind.

“You made sure to delete the account, right?” Apple Bloom asked, her lips drawn in a thin line. She agreed that none of them could make it know that they were behind Anon-A-Miss, especially not now with what happened to Gilda.

“And the email associated with it.” Scootaloo said proudly, smirking. “The public library sure comes in handy.”

Silence washed back over the room again, covering the three young teens with it’s suffocating pall. It was Sweetie that broke the silence of the three gently sipping on their hot chocolate. “I still feel sick about this…”

(V):...:(V)

“You know she ain’t coming, Dash.” Applejack said once again, more firmly this time in a vain attempt to get the athlete to maybe stop checking her phone every three seconds. “Hell, she hasn’t even returned any of our texts. Not that I can blame her…”

The Christmas Party, if it could even be called that, had begun hours ago, with each of the members of the band entering Rarity’s house, bundled up to try and break the biting chill of the wind whipping around outside, a few small bags held delicately in their mitten clad hands. Presents, lots of them. One for the night’s festivities, a Haysian Gift Exchange that the then six members of the Rainbooms had decided before the start of the month, as well as gifts for each other member.

Sunset included…

The other five had done all their shopping right after running into Sunset with the Sirens once again, the four of them looking joyous, the smile that had been on Sunset’s face before she spotted the five of them. It reminded them of just how happy she had looked after the Battle of the Bands, when they had finally started to accept her into the group, when the school finally forgave her for her past actions.

And then the raw, untamed disappointment she gazed at them with as they passed by in shame. When Rainbow had started to remind Sunset of the party, the disappointment had quickly been replace by anger, barely restrained fury and hatred; the five had felt like they had burned in the gaze of Sunset. They had been left shaken by the encounter, but had managed to get around the mall easily enough, purchasing their gifts for the exchange; they had all bought their personal gifts for one another well beforehand. However when they met up, ready to go, they froze. They ended up standing in front of that elevator again, people rushing by to and from.

It had been Rarity that suggested maybe they get something big for Sunset, the five of them chipping in equally. The other four nodded, and they started back walking through the mall, looking for some kind of hint of what to get their, hopefully not former, friend.

It had been a cruel twist of fate that they all paused in front of one of the local electronic shops, one that specialized in cell phones specifically. Everything had started because of a phone, potentially, and yet, they couldn’t think of an expensive item that both could be afforded by them, and be meaningful to Sunset. They had just hoped it wouldn’t be received in poor faith, should Sunset even decide to show up.

“You don’t know that!” the athlete responded as she looked up from her phone once again, her eyes and tone betraying just how little she trusted what she had just said. “She could be walking up to the door this very moment!”

“It’s quarter past seven, dar...” Rarity said softly, her voice dying out as she reached her trademarked comment, only for it to trail off. Rainbow may had been the most visibly affected by the groups realization that they had messed up regarding Sunset and Anon-A-Miss, but Rarity had taken the blow to her very core.

She stopped using her comment, always catching herself whenever she started to utter it, as she refused to say it after how she had treated the one that she called it most often. Her vaunted attention to appearances had gone to the wayside as well. It wasn’t to say that she ignored them, but if you had compared her that night to any day during the prior school week, she would have been kilometers ahead then.

“...I don’t think she’s coming…” came the soft, even for her, whisper from the groups resident animal lover. She had told them that the animals at the shelter had all been shying away from her of late, and it had only gotten worse by the end of the previous week. Somehow it seemed the animals knew that she had done something wrong, even when she had yet to discover that herself.

Pinkie, somehow, remained totally silent. Just like she had been since the mall encounter with Sunset. She looked uncharacteristically sombre when someone passed their eyes over her, yet when it was just out of the corner of someone's eye, they swore she turned a dull, emotionless grey, her hair seemingly deflating and drooping down over her, obscuring her face.

“Should we start the gift exchange?” Applejack asked, as uninterested as the rest of the girls in the prospect.

(V):...:(V)

“You want me to do what?” the opal eyes of the dark skinned woman grew wide even as her brow furrowed in confusion at the white woman’s comment as her fingers combed through the majestic, multicoloured mane of hair.

“I want you to dig into this Anon-A-Miss account for me.” Celestia said with a tired sigh as her scalp was gingerly massaged. “You’re the only one I know that could do this sort of thing for me without raising any suspicion, Chrysi.”

“Be that as it may, and this is quite a simple request, but why? I thought you said that Sunstrike left the school already?”

“Sunset, and yes, she did already. She left Thursday and then came back Friday with her new friends, and instead of causing trouble, they just wanted everything they would need to get her into Crystal Prep.”

“So then why have me do this digging? It sounds like everything's resolved. The account’s been deleted you said, now that their scapegoat is gone.” Chrysalis gave a happy purr as she felt Celestia start to shiver under her ministrations. “It sounds to me like you need another... Distraction…”

“Any other night, I would agree with you, but right now…” Celestia stopped any happy noises or movements she had been making, falling back into her melancholic state once again. “With Gilda in the hospital, her family went to the school board over it, which in turn is coming down on me. Thankfully we have footage of Gilda and her followers attacking Sunset first, which helps us on that end, and we have the footage of her rushing into the school after the rock was thrown at her. But we still need to know who's behind the attacks.”

“I mean, it’s not like it’s going to be difficult at all, Celery, it’s just that you haven’t told me why yet.”

“Because she feels like I turned on her, and I understand where she’s coming from. The Sirens gave me their address to send her paperwork to, but if I show up with proof on who it was that did all this, maybe…”

“You’re seeking penance; forgiveness.” Chrysalis said as she pulled the woman closer as she gave a slight nod. “...Never change, my love.”

“Only for you.” a warm smile spread across the face of the principal as she wrapped an arm lazily over top of the blanket.

“Would you two just shut up and go to sleep already?” came the annoyed grumble from Luna as she peeked her head over Chrysalis’ back, causing sheepish, schoolgirl like giggles to escape the other two women.