• Published 12th Aug 2018
  • 5,040 Views, 719 Comments

Bulletproof Heart - PaulAsaran



In a hot desert Equestria, Rarity Belle makes her living as a clothier in the small town of Spurhoof. But when a posse of Bad Apples arrive in town, she finds her life turned upside down. Now she fights for only one thing: survival.

  • ...
13
 719
 5,040

Episode 06: Motivation

28th of Falling Heat, 1005 BA

It had been nice to work on clothes again. Rarity had missed the endeavor far more than she’d realized. To craft, to adjust, to sew and stitch and measure and create. For a moment she’d felt as if she’d been back at home working on another order for Night Squash. Spike had given her a dress, plain at her request. She got rid of the ‘bell’ on the sleeves in favor of some thick shoulder padding, changed the front buttons so that there were two columns of them instead of one, and altered the chest to provide better support for her breasts. She also adjusted the waist with a little extra fabric, creating tight vertical folds to accentuate the shape of her hips. A few adjustments to the trim, a bit of added lace to make the bodice appear separate from the skirt, and she had a sleek ‘businessmare’ outfit, a favorite style of hers.

But with the outfit done, Rarity had fallen on a bout of melancholy. She’d made a dress, and it was lovely… but who would she show it off to? The Diamond Dogs did seem to appreciate fashion – if Mr. Gold had been a good example of his people, that is – but the ones that lived here were still watching her with suspicion. It seemed that even Spike’s blessing couldn’t convince them to forgive how she snuck into the most heavily guarded portion of their home.

Would Spike like it? Perhaps. He seemed to really enjoy her company. Try as she might, she’d detected no deception in that. Then again, he had faked his chess skills to lure her into a trap, the scoundrel. That loss still stung… but only a little.

She heaved a deep sigh and burrowed her muzzle into one of the soft pillows of her guest bed. There could be no denying Rarity wanted to show off her skills. To be in the market, to attend fashion events, to be a star. That wouldn’t happen here, no matter how enthusiastic the locals may or may not be.

But if she were to leave, how long would she last? Spike offered her sanctuary. Safety. There was no way the Bad Apple Gang would come looking for her down here, and Spike had no reason to trade her given the vast wealth he’d amassed over the centuries. She could stay. She probably should.

And yet… Her eyes drifted to the large, leather-bound book he’d given her.


Spike had given orders to let Rarity enter his domicile at any time she liked, so none of the guards blocked her entry. They did give her peering, scowling stares as she passed the doors, though. She didn’t blame them their scrutiny.

A quiet song was playing in the chamber. Rarity recognized the soft, pleasant voice as belonging to the Angel of Elysium. She used to own a couple records. Most ponies did; the Angel had been extremely popular once.

The dragon himself lay atop his hoard near one of the vast chamber’s walls. A massive table, each leg larger than any tree Rarity had ever seen in the Crystal Hills, was before him. She could not see what he was looking at, but he seemed very intent upon it. He did not seem to notice her arrival. His eyes were narrowed and shifting left to right repeatedly. Reading something, perhaps? The music came from a regular-sized phonograph settled on the corner of the table, just visible from Rarity’s comparatively low height. How in Equestria did he ever use something so relatively small?

Not wanting to disturb him and curious to watch, Rarity settled herself down on the silk-covered mattress she’d used the day before. At least, she assumed it had been yesterday. Without daylight and no clocks around, she had no idea exactly how long she’d been in the caves. Come to think of it, she’d not seen any form of timekeeping in the underground at all. How did the Diamond Dogs and Spike keep track of things and run a successful banking headquarters without some obvious means of determining time?

There was a shuffling sound like parchment. She looked up to see Spike now held a sheet of pale yellow paper in his claw that was several times wider and taller than the mattress she now sat on. Since when did anypony make paper of such a scale? She even saw writing on the parchment, large and flowing and neat. Where did he find a quill large enough to write that?

His eyes drifted towards her for an instant, not seeming to recognize her.

Then he gave a light gasp and turned to her with an eager, almost childish smile. “Lady Rarity! How lovely to see you. The dress looks…” He paused, losing his smile as he took in the blue businessmare’s dress. His smile returned, this time a little lopsided. “Amazing. Did you redesign it yourself?”

The look on his face was a familiar one, having appeared on plenty of stallions in Rarity’s time. She’d never imagined seeing it on a dragon. Should she be frightened? Flattered? She folded her hands together in her lap to keep them from giving away her anxiety and tried to offer her most confident smile. “But of course. It was a simple matter. Fashion is my life, after all.”

“I can see it.” He nodded, glanced at the paper in his hands, then at her. After a moment’s consideration, he let the piece of parchment fall back to the table. “I can work later. I’d much rather spend some more time with you.” He reached for the phonograph.

“Leave it.” At his curious glance, she added with a sincere smile, “I’m rather fond of the Angel.”

He hummed and turned to face her properly. “As am I. I was greatly saddened when I heard what happened.” A shake of his sizeable head. “But I won’t burden you with such distressing talk. Can I get you anything? Tea? A bite to eat?” He raised a claw in preparation to snap his talons, waiting only for her word.

Rarity licked her lips and, despite herself, rubbed at her necklace. “I ate already, thank you. I actually had something I wanted to ask you about.”

He lowered his claw and bowed his head. “Of course. I am at your service.”

“I… I read some of the book you let me borrow.”

Cocking his head, Spike smiled. Did he have to put forth an effort to keep from showing his fangs? “Learning a little about the Bank’s history? Wonderful! I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.”

He certainly seemed eager to please. Rarity smoothed her skirt to buy time to recall her earlier thoughts. “From what little I’ve read so far, it seems you like your solitude. Does nopony out there know you are a dragon?”

He pressed his cheek to his palm, appearing perfectly content as he studied her. “No. It is the Bank’s most closely guarded secret.”

“Why?”

The response came quickly and smoothly. “Everypony knows dragons are inherently greedy, more so than Diamond Dogs by far. How many do you think would really trust a bank run by one? They’d think I was trying to rob them blind.”

Rarity wanted to debate this, but instead paused to consider the argument. When it came down to it, would she have agreed to opening a bank account if she’d known a creature like Spike was at its helm? Her heart shouted yes, but the rational half of her mind cast the other side a disdainful look. If she were honest with herself…

“I suppose I can see your point.” She sighed and leaned back, palms set behind her for leverage while she looked up at him. “I suppose you think yourself more noble than the average dragon.”

He hummed once again and sat up. Rubbing his chin, he raised his eyes to the ceiling in thought. “That’s not such an easy claim. I’m less violent than the average dragon, certainly, but more noble? How does one gauge that? We make charitable donations, but so do scoundrels who get rich by working with desert gangs under the radar, so that’s not really a good measure.”

Chewing her lip, Rarity decided to take a gamble. “I didn’t see anything in the book about your life before the Bank.”

“The book is about the Bank, not me.” He must have seen the disappointment in her face, for he fidgeted and blushed. “It’s really not that interesting.”

“Oh, but it is!” She sat up straight once more, the movement catching his attention. “You said you learned economics before you came here. Who taught you?”

His eyes widened, his mouth falling open slightly. This lasted for only a moment before he began twiddling his talons. It reminded Rarity of a little colt trying not to admit he liked fillies, which is to say, fetchingly cute. Funny, she never thought she’d apply the term ‘cute’ to a dragon, or any creature larger than a sand lizard for that matter. He muttered something so quiet she couldn’t make out the words.

Raising an eyebrow, Rarity found herself rising up on her knees and turning her ears forward. “I beg your pardon?”

He winced and turned his head away. “It was… Princess Celestia.”

Rarity blinked. Blinked again. “Come again?”

He hid his eyes behind a claw and groaned. “It was Princess Celestia, okay?”

There was the name again! Excitement bubbled up in Rarity as she realized how serious he was. “You met… Princess Celestia?” The squeal came out unchecked through her grin. “By Luna’s stars! That must have been amazing!”

“Yes, I spent ten years in the Royal Palace learning about ponies. I was just a whelp at the time, not even as tall as you are!” Spike crossed his arms and hunched over, appearing to sulk. He even had a blush, much to Rarity’s pleasure. “Yes, yes, the big mighty dragon was friends with a pansy pony princess.”

Rarity’s bubbly mood faded at his scowl, her ears going flat. “You didn’t like her?”

He glanced at her, then sighed and shook his head. “It’s not that. It’s just that the one time I went to the Burning Lands after coming to Equestria, the other dragons knew. It didn’t win me any mates, that’s for sure.”

“B-but Celestia!” Rarity leaned forward once more, fingers at the edge of the mattress as she gazed up at him. “How could they make fun of her? Surely she was powerful enough to scare even a dragon.”

Spike scoffed and waved a dismissive claw. “Celestia and Luna were certainly strong enough to easily defeat any dragon that might challenge them. Despite what the Church claims, that didn’t make them deities, nor was it why the ponies loved them. They were—” He paused, his eyes staring at something far away. The slump of his shoulders deepened. “They were just good ponies.”

Rarity wanted to ask more, but the change in mood made her hesitate. She watched him as he appeared to ruminate in the past, a long frown on his lips. Could the memories be so fresh, even after a thousand years? When several minutes passed without him recovering, she ventured to call out. “Spike?”

He shivered as if coming out of a trance, his gaze landing upon her once more. He said nothing at first. Then, with a long exhale, he closed his eyes. “I am sorry, Lady Rarity. Celestia was a teacher to me, and Luna a dear friend. They took in a lost dragon whelp who hated where he’d come from, but had no idea where he was going. I had been away from them for half a century when they were lost to us, but I still took it… poorly.”

His sorrowful expression cut into her heart. She dropped back to a sitting position and turned away. Now you’ve done it, Rarity. “I apologize. I didn’t mean to intrude on something so personal.”

“Do not be sorry.” He could make his voice surprisingly soft for a dragon. “You didn’t know. And I understand that ponies of this age have developed some ideas about them. Why, Luna even has her own flourishing religion.” His brow furrowed and his mouth twisted into a scowl. “She wouldn’t like that. Not one bit.”

Just like that, he had Rarity’s attention once more. “Luna wouldn’t have liked the Church of the Night Mother?”

The scowl softened, but only a little. “It was Celestia who basked in the admiration of her subjects. Luna was far more personable.” He shook his head as if to clear it before settling down on his belly once more. “I think we’ve gotten off track. You had questions for me?”

Oh, how she wanted to pick his brain for more information on the Sisters! But now that she knew how uncomfortable the subject made him, Rarity realized it was a topic to be avoided, especially if she wanted to keep on his good side. Which was imperative, all things considered.

So she reluctantly cast the topic aside in favor of something more direct to her interests. “You have a lot of things stored in these caves, items not being used at all. Is that part of your hoarding instinct?”

“Hoarding?” He examined the mountain of gems beneath him. “This is my hoard. I… Oh! You mean the storage rooms. Nah, that’s for trade.”

Rarity tilted her head to one side. “Trade? But I thought you ran a bank.”

“That’s right, but I’ve learned it can be beneficial not to focus all my efforts in one area. The Bank does have its bad days, weeks, years…” He shuffled a bit, his fanged smile turning sheepish. “Decades.” A quick cough into his claw and he was back to his neutral, pleasant manner. “These caves act as a trading hub. The town of Rockstead is the face of that enterprise. The ponies there trade under the Rambling Company banner, which is a front business for the Bank.”

She nodded. “So it’s all your property.”

His brow furrowed as he examined her. Wondering where she was going with this, perhaps. “Technically, it’s all the Bank’s property. Until it is sold, of course.”

“But you are the Bank, are you not?”

Grumbling and shifting from side to side, he muttered, “Well, I suppose that wouldn’t be too far off the mark.”

“Have you ever bought a pony?”

His head jerked back and his eyes went wide. “What? No. Why would you ever suggest such a thing?”

She peered at him, fingers tracing her necklace. “I didn’t skim everything in the book. You once bought an entire town.”

One eye narrowed while the other widened. Had he eyebrows, she imagined he’d be raising one now. “Hollow Shades? That was property.”

“And how am I to know that for sure?” Rarity didn’t intend to stand up, but somehow found that she had. Her hands were balled into fists at her sides as she met the dragon’s gaze. “Your book has an unfortunate habit of skipping details, such as the fact you are a dragon. What other details might have been glossed over, I wonder?”

Spike rubbed a claw over his scaled head, his shoulders hunching. “Just what are you trying to get at?”

So, he wanted it out in the open, did he? Rarity didn’t expect an honest answer, but she felt the time was finally right to confront the topic head on. She slapped a hand to her chest and spoke in her most demanding tone. “What will I be?”

He opened his mouth wide, an act that abruptly reminded her of just how many teeth he had… not to mention how big and sharp they were. It also reminded her of how small she was compared to him, and possibly scrumptious. Her hand twitched for her side, but Silver Lining was back in her ‘guest room’. Not that it would have done her any good, but it would have at least been a comfort.

Spike wasn’t attempting to threaten her. She could tell by the confused look in his eyes, though that didn’t lessen the impact of seeing a massive mouth capable of swallowing her whole. In reality, it appeared he was at a loss for words. At least, she hoped that was the case.

Mercifully, he finally clapped his jaw closed, the sound ricocheting through the cavern. He gave a snort that produced a small cloud of ash, which promptly floated up out of a small vertical tunnel near the top of the cavern. “Rarity, I still don’t know what you’re saying.”

The tension left her. She gave a long exhale and decided to sit back down before the knocking of her knees started to echo through the chamber. Properly settled, she looked up at him once more and spoke in a more demure voice. “You made your position last night clear: you want me to stay.”

The frustration on his face was wiped away, promptly replaced by an eager smile. “Yes. I very much would like that.”

She nodded and averted her gaze. “I’d be in one of the storage rooms. I’d come in here frequently to entertain and be pretty for you. You’d dress me up in all the nicest clothes, or give me the tools to make them, and give me all the best treats and gifts. Like a… doll.” Swallowing to moisten her dry throat, she timidly met his gaze. “Would I be your property, Spike?”

He stared at her as if she’d just grown a second head. “Umm… No.” Seeing she wasn’t convinced, he sighed and shook his head. “Rarity, did I not tell you that you were free to leave?”

“You did.” She bowed her head and toyed with the folds of her dress. “But for all I know, you were just saying that.”

“I wasn’t just saying it!” When she looked up at him, he leaned away, neck craning back and a pained expression on his face. “I wasn’t. Please, don’t fear me. I… I just wanted someone to talk to. I saw your Element and I hoped…”

Despite the depressing mood the conversation had placed her in, Rarity’s attention did an abrupt about-face. Her ears perked as she looked down at the necklace. Had the purple she’d seen before grown more pronounced? “You recognize this?”

“Of course,” he replied in a dejected tone. “It belonged to Luna.”

Rarity’s breath caught in her throat. She grabbed the golden plate of the necklace and examined the gemstone a little more closely. “Th-this belonged to the Princess Luna?”

Now it was Spike’s turn to break out of the somber mood of before. He leaned forward just a little. “You mean you didn’t know? I thought, as an Element Bearer, it would be obvious.”

She looked up at that curious term. “Element Bearer? What do you mean?”

He nodded. “Yes. Element Bearer.” A pause. “As in the Elements of Harmony?”

Rarity released the necklace as if it might burn her. “E-Element of Harmony? Surely you don’t mean to tell me that this is one of the most sacred gems in Equestrian history.”

To her alarm, Spike leaned closer, his serpentine head dropping down practically to the floor. His massive snout dwarfed her as it moved in close, and then he turned his head to peer at her necklace with a lone eye. A whimper escaped her throat as she was once again reminded of just how big he was.

He gave a thoughtful hum that shook her to her bones, but when he spoke his voice was startlingly quiet. “Yes… definitely an Element. I can sense the magic waking within. It is an easy aura to recognize. Generosity, if the color is anything to go by.”

This thing? The Element of Generosity? Such a prospect left Rarity in a numb state. If that was true, then it was nothing less than a holy relic! One of the six magical weapons that defeated Discord and restored harmony to all of Equestria. Wielded by the Princesses themselves in battle, thought lost forever alongside their former owners. How in the wide world of Equestria had Coco’s mother come across something like this?

But wait… that child of the buffalo, Little Strongheart. She had one too.

Suddenly, all Rarity’s fantasies came crashing down. There was no way that uncouth little devil was worthy to carry an Element. Which could only mean hers wasn’t the real thing, and if that was the case, then this…

She sagged, a complex mixture of relief and disappointment washing over her. “No. You must be mistaken. It’s just an unusual gemstone.”

“Nope.” Spike drew back to his pile of gems and shifted about, nestling himself within the mass of shiny stones. “No mistake, that’s an Element. And what’s more, it appears to have chosen you as its Bearer.”

Was he trying to pull her along? Whatever his purpose, Rarity didn’t feel like arguing about it. She had far more immediate concerns to deal with. “So does that make me a more valuable commodity?”

With a roll of his eyes, he gave another ash-filled snort. “It was never my intention to own you, Rarity. Even if it had been, that wouldn’t be possible now.”

She blinked, caught off guard by his manner. “Whatever do you mean?”

He pointed a lone talon at her necklace. “That is an Element of Harmony. They haven’t been active in centuries. If one is awake, that means something.” Then, as if an idea had abruptly come to him, his eyes lit up and he straightened. “Wait. It means something.

There was a desire in his gaze, but not of the kind Rarity was accustomed to warding off. She leaned back, raising her arm over the necklace as if to protect it. “It means what, exactly?”

“An Element of Harmony doesn’t just—” he waved his claws in the air as if to mime something rising with a splash “—wake up. They react. They communicate. They do. Princess Celestia said that while they don’t have minds as we think of them, they are drawn to their purpose and will make things happen if they sense the need to.”

Rarity shook her head, running her fingers over the gemstone. “I’m still not convinced this is an Element. For all I know, it’s just a necklace. A necklace given to me by a dear friend, might I add.”

His head tilted slightly to one side. “A dear friend? Well, that only makes me more confident in my theory. But an Element of Harmony doesn’t belong in some hoard. I wouldn’t be able to hold on to it even if I wanted to. It chose you as its Bearer. It would find a way back to you.”

Wow. He really believes this. Rarity shook her head and tried to relax, letting her arm fall and settling on her knees yet again. “So let’s assume what you say is true. What exactly am I meant to do with an Element?”

His brow furrowed. He brought his claw up to scratch his cheek with a lone talon. “I couldn’t say. If we were to go the ambitious route, I’d say ‘reunite Equestria’. Speaking realistically, it could be anything. Who knows what the Element is reacting to?”

Reunite Equestria? Take the five major city states and convince them to get along? Just getting any two of them to communicate beyond basic trade agreements was near impossible. Rarity had to agree that whatever the thing wanted, it would be something more practical. That assumed the necklace really was an Element of Harmony in the first place, of course.

Which it was not, and Rarity had little interest in entertaining the notion any longer. Stiffening her shoulders and sitting up straight, she looked up to Spike, who still possessed his contemplative expression. He looked as if his attention was worlds away.

“Spike? I intend to leave this place.”

He hummed, eyes still locked on some distant nothingness. “Yes, that’s probably for the best.”

Her argument died on her lips. She stared at him, mouth opening and closing. “B-but… I thought you wanted me to stay.”

“I do.” He turned his eyes upon her and smiled, but it was a sad expression. “I have greatly enjoyed your company. And you should probably still stay for another day or two, just in case.”

She cocked an eyebrow. “Is that because you’re worried about my health or because you don’t want me to leave?”

His scaled cheeks turned a bright red and he began twiddling his claws, something she was starting to recognize as a habit. “Um… can it not be both?”

Not prepared to give into his bashfulness – no matter how endearing it might be – Rarity crossed her arms and pursed her lips. “So you don’t want me to go, but you’re going to make me go anyway? Or do you intend to forestall my departure for so long that eventually I just give in and become part of your collection?”

Was that a pout? By Luna’s stars, Rarity had no idea a dragon could pout! He gave a sound not unlike a whine as he fought for a response. “Look, the Element chose you. I can’t interfere with that. Celestia and Luna would want it to be up there, helping people.” He steadily regained his confidence as he spoke. “Because that’s what the Elements of Harmony do, Rarity. They help. Ponies. Dragons. Diamond Dogs. Whatever! They are a force for good, but they need Bearers to channel their power and make it happen.

“I want you to stay,” he concluded with firm finality. “But I am not going to stand in the way of an Element and its rightful purpose.”

Rarity wanted to say something… but what was she supposed to say to that? She’d been so certain he was trying to make her stay, that the moment she tried to leave the Diamond Dogs would grab her and throw her back in here. But he seemed so sure of himself, so focused. He wouldn’t have anything to gain by trying to fool her into thinking he wanted her to leave just to snatch her back, so she simply had to accept his words as honest. And if he had been honest about that…

Her ears folded down as she slumped. “Oh, Spike. I am so sorry. I accused you of things just because you’re a dragon. I wish I had trusted you before.”

Spike’s sigh rumbled like an earthquake in miniature. “It’s alright, Rarity. Really. Ponies haven’t had many interactions with my kind, and those few instances everyone recalls all ended poorly. You are right to not trust dragons.” He rested his chin on the ground not far from her, eyes downcast. “It’s why we keep my role with the Bank secret, after all.”

At his depressed appearance, Rarity stood and walked over to rub her hand on his snout. “Oh, you poor thing. For what it’s worth, I am glad I met you, and am ashamed that I treated you so unfairly.”

His eye drifted to her. Darted away. Slowly came back. He smiled in the manner of a colt who’d just worked up the nerve to talk to a pretty filly. “Thanks. I’m, uh, glad I met you too, Rarity.”

She ran a finger around one of his scales, which was as wide as both her palms put together. “And to make it up to you, I promise to stick around for at least another day or two. There’s no rush, right? And I must admit, you have been giving me the royal treatment. I don’t know when I’ll get another chance to feel like a pampered princess again.”

His smile broadened. “Well, then! I’ll make sure my friends give you the best treatment available. You know, as incentive to pay us a visit later.”

Giggling, she nodded. “I just might.”


They weren’t the same shirt and jeans Rarity had worn upon arriving in the caves. The shirt was made from fresh cotton, the buttons brown to go with the similarly colored vest she wore over it. Her necklace remained hidden beneath her shirt, which had been designed specifically to mask its presence. Her jeans were a paler blue than before, having been bleached somewhat in the hopes that a more muted color would keep it from absorbing too much heat when she was out in the sun. The straps were perfect for Silver Lining’s belt holster, having been designed with that in mind. She’d even made herself a cowboy hat that curved up a little at the edge and some light boots, rounding out the ensemble quite nicely.

But Rarity couldn’t enjoy the look, no matter how good she thought it appeared. To finally wear the product of two days’ careful labor left her with a sullen heart. She turned from the mirror she’d been supplied with and looked to the small desk near the foot of her bed. Silver Lining was there, untouched in three days that had come and gone far too quickly.

The same question came to Rarity’s mind that had plagued her all this time: why did she want to leave? No good would come of it, surely. Up there she was hunted, nothing more than a target for unscrupulous bounty hunters. She had no home to go to, no destination in mind. She’d be well stocked thanks to Spike and the Diamond Dogs, but what about when those stocks ran out? She could afford more for now, but the money in her account wouldn’t last forever. She’d be hot and tired and scared and dirty all the time.

She could stay. The Diamond Dogs would keep her happy. The best food, the snuggliest bed, all the materials and tools she’d ever need to make an untold number of dresses. And Spike was such good company, truly a gentledrake and a pinnacle among dragons. Sometimes he still seemed like a little colt in his manner, but there was also a certain wisdom in him. He was kind and honest and, yes, even generous at times. Under his watchful gaze, nothing bad would ever happen to her. Nothing at all…

She cast her eyes about her guest room, slowly taking it all in. She had her temporary workstation, her sewing kit and materials, her lovely bed. Behind all of that? Just rock. Plain. Dull. Entrapping. Claustrophobic. That this someday might be the image of home to her left an empty feeling in her chest.

Her gaze fell upon a lone mannequin in the corner, still wearing the businessmare’s dress she’d developed on her first day here. She stared at it, imagining more dresses. In her mind’s eye, she could see her in more and more elegant gowns. Turning before Spike and asking his opinion. Enjoying his pleased smile. Loving the way he admired her beauty. And every day, being just a little bit older, a little bit less interested in leaving, a little more attached to being on display.

Oh, I don’t know. I for one would love to be put on a pedestal.

Tensing, her face set in a grimace, Rarity turned away from the dress. Her hands were balled into fists as she took slow, deep breaths. When she noticed Silver Lining yet again, she snatched the gun up and checked its cylinder. Full. Her eyes landed on the mirror, and she took in her tomboyish attire. She met her own fiery gaze and gave a light snort.

“I will never be a doll.”

She shoved Silver Lining into the harness and stalked out of the room, not sure if she ever wanted to see it again.


Rarity stood with hands on her hips, staring up at Spike. For his part, he was returning the look with a solemn, hard expression. It was a ruse, made obvious by the way his eyes were fighting not to close and the small twitch of his lips.

After what seemed like an eternity, he muttered, “So you’re leaving.”

She maintained her firm look, even though her heart felt as if it had been chained to an anvil. “We both knew this was coming.”

“Yes. I suppose we did.” He intertwined his claws and glanced aside. “I… don’t suppose I could—”

She stopped that train of thought before it could pick up steam. “I’m going, Spike. Today. I won’t delay it any further.” There was too much of a chance she’d get too used to the place. Not that she’d say such a thing out loud. No point adding fuel to the fire.

His stony façade showed signs of structural failure, his mouth working slowly as if to fight the coming frown. “M-maybe… just one more game?”

She raised an eyebrow. “Spike.”

He closed his eyes and heaved a long, slow exhale, the neutral expression at last collapsing. “I’m sorry. It’s just… I am going to miss you, Lady Rarity.”

At that, she finally let her own mask drop, giving him what she hoped was a pleasant smile. It felt forced, but maybe he wouldn’t notice. “I’ll miss you too, Spike.”

He gave her a shy smile, but then his head rose slightly and his eyes widened. He seemed lost in thought. He raised a lone talon— “One moment.” — before turning to sift through the top of a nearby gem pile. Rarity watched with a feeling of combined dread and curiosity.

“Ah, there you are.”

She straightened up as he turned back to her, something small in one of his claws. There was that smile she’d become so familiar with, the one that made him look like an eager colt hoping to please. “I have a gift for you. Something to keep as a reminder of this place, and… maybe… tempt you to visit sometime?” The claw came down until it was level with her chest. Eyebrows raised, Rarity stepped a little closer and, with hands on his palm, took a look.

She sucked in a breath at the sight of the loveliest handgun she’d ever laid eyes on. The pistol was significantly larger than Silver Lining, with a barrel that struck her as unusually long and wide. The entire weapon had been dyed a pinkish red, with a beautiful maroon grip of solid wood. Tiny rubies speckled the metal. It was an automatic bolt-action, an unusually advanced design, and she could see that the ammunition slid in through the grip.

Slowly, Rarity took the weapon in both hands, ignoring the bag next to in in favor of studying the pistol. It was heavier than Silver Lining, which gave her the impression of something powerful. Along the barrel was a name: Ruby Heart.

“Check the bullets.”

She took the bag in her magic. It was closed with a tightly bound cord which took her a moment to get loose. At last, a bullet rose in her pale aura, and the size made her gasp. She turned the casing about with wide eyes, noting the large ‘45’ etched on the rim bottom. She flipped the bullet around and let out a small “oh” at the bright red color. It took only a second to realize the tip of the bullet was a tiny ruby. Her interest piqued, she grabbed a few more bullets and found that each and every one had a ruby tip.

An eager tone graced Spike’s words. “The Ruby Heart is enchanted. Ruby-tipped bullets fired from it will be more accurate.” He grinned when she looked up at him. “It was scavenged from the swamps of Siren’s Pass. Perhaps it is a relic from Finland, if you believe in such things.”

Rarity’s throat had gone dry and her heart was trying to fill up the vacant space. “Spike… I… I can’t accept something like this.”

“Please.” He displayed his palms to her in a supplicating gesture. “Take it. Your company has made the last few days brighter. It’s the least I can offer.”

“B-but…” She pulled Silver Lining out and displayed it to him. “But I already have a gun, see? I don’t even have a holster for another one.”

“And you’ll be even safer if you have two guns for two types of bullets.” He clasped his claws together and bowed his head. “Please, Rarity. It’ll do this young drake good to know you are protected. It gives me hope that I’ll see you again.” He raised his head just enough to look at her with a hopeful gaze. “You will come to visit me again… won’t you?”

Rarity could feel her mental defenses melting. How was it that a creature so big and imposing could have all the adorable charm of a clueless colt out of his league? Of course, Rarity usually let down those types as gently as she could. But Spike wasn’t some teenager or young stallion hoping to meet her (admittedly demanding) standards. He was a dragon, and he was lonely, and he’d done everything he could to make her stay in his domain a pleasant one.

And, she realized with a small smile, she would very much like to see him again. Holding the bag of bullets and the Ruby Heart to her chest, she turned that smile upon his eager gaze. “Of course I will.”

If his grin got any brighter, it might have melted his hoard.


If Rarity regretted anything about her time beneath the Dragon’s Teeth, it was that she’d not made an effort to get to know any of the Diamond Dogs. In her defense, they hadn’t seemed all that interested in befriending her either. Still, it made it just a touch awkward for her to be following one right now.

She’d met the brown-coated dog in question a number of times. Jewelbone was taller than the others Rarity had seen in the tunnels and sported a lean, muscular figure. She wore grey, pinstriped pants that stopped just below the knees and a baggy blue shirt. The most attractive part of her ensemble by far was a reddish brown jacket with opals for buttons. None of it appealed to Rarity’s refined fashion sense, but at least it appeared well cared for. She had to give the Diamond Dogs credit, they had high quality clothes. Even if they didn’t know how to wear them.

Her thoughts turned to Spike, who had watched her go with a face so forlorn she’d half expected him to break out in tears. She’d inquired if he wanted to take her outside himself, but he’d declined. It involved too great a risk of being seen, especially with so many griffons about lately. A disappointing decision, as she would have liked to have spent just a little more time with him – and she was wondering just how he was supposed to get out of the cavern in the first place.

It wasn’t just Spike who occupied Rarity’s mind. Now that she was leaving, her thoughts drifted to names she’d not thought of in a few days. Guilt ate at her insides as she wondered about the fate of Troublemaker, Hard Knocks, and Swing Set. Anyone in the convoy, really. Had they been hurt by the griffons? Had the buffalo escorted them out of the Scorched Plains as promised? And what of Fleetfeather? Would Little Strongheart’s grandfather see reason and let him live?

By sheer proximity, she’d touched so many lives in the last few weeks. Now she had Spike to add to that list. And what of Coco? She dearly hoped the young mare was making good on her promises. Rarity wouldn’t be happy unless her former apprentice was set to be the next great star of the fashion industry. Sisters knew she wouldn’t get that opportunity.

She tugged on the strap of her new backpack, given to her by Jewelbone before they left the main area of the inhabited caves. It was much larger than her old one, rising a little above her shoulder and dropping just low enough that it would touch the back of her legs if she took long strides. Big, but not uncomfortably so, and stocked with enough food and water to keep her going for two weeks even if she ate liberally. Best of all, it was one of those exceedingly rare enchanted packs that felt much lighter than its size and contents would suggest.

Her gaze turned to her guide’s back. Jewelbone hadn’t said much, not during this little walk or the entire time she’d been acting as Rarity’s liaison with the rest of her kind. She wasn’t much of a talker, apparently. Not that she was rude. Just… quiet.

Sucking on her lower lip for a moment, Rarity spoke. “I wanted to thank you.”

One of Jewelbone’s ears tilted back. No other sign of acknowledgement was offered.

Even so, Rarity pressed on. “You and the other Diamond Dogs tolerated me, despite my rather rough entrance. And you always got me what I asked for. I know you were probably just obeying Spike’s orders, but still, thank you for the hospitality.”

At that, Jewelbone turned her head just enough to cast a long, one-eyed gaze at her. She had a curiously shaped face, with smooth cheeks but a hard chin, and sunken eyes that seemed more masculine than one would expect. It gave the strange sensation of her manner being both hard and soft at the same time, making her expressions hard to recognize on occasion. As usual, the one she offered now was confusing, either demonstrating a grave disdain or a thoughtful curiosity.

After a few anxious seconds, she turned her attention back to the tunnels. “Pony is lucky Boss like pony. Dogs were very angry. Wanted to hurt pony.”

Jewelbone lacked Mr. Gold’s eloquence, and her features were mystifying at best, but her voice was unquestionably feminine, bordering on dainty. Rarity rather liked it. “Yes, I imagine there are some hard feelings aimed my way. It’s probably too late to do something about that.”

The dog shrugged. “Is pony good customer of Bank?”

“But of course.”

“Then dogs will get over it.”

Rarity waited for her to elaborate, but should have known better. Was it really that simple to them? Apparently Spike was right; Diamond Dogs lived and breathed the Bank. It might have made them excellent employees, but it had to get boring for him when the people he lived and worked with every day for centuries only had one interest. Talking to her must have been like a breath of fresh air.

Great, now she was feeling guilty for leaving Spike. Again. Not for the first time, she wondered what she’d done to warrant having to leave Spurhoof and wander Equestria as a fugitive. Well, aside from the obvious, but what led to that? Maybe it was punishment for her stubborn pride, her unwillingness to go home and face her family. Or her refusal to admit that she’d been wrong to leave them behind, as if they were anything but the most important ponies in her immature, self-confident, haughty little life.

And now, like the fool she always seemed to be, she’d walked out of what would have been her single best chance to live a life of luxury and safety, without any fear of Bad Apple outlaws and random bounty hunters trying to shoot her head off. Honestly, what was wrong with her?

“This is it.”

She blinked, pulled out of her gradually darkening thoughts by Jewelbone’s pleasant voice. They were standing in a Y-shaped junction of the tunnels, which at this point were uneven and twisting and clearly natural. The Diamond Dog reached out with one of those long, slender arms and pointed down a tunnel. “Pony go that way to get to exit. No other paths, so can’t get lost. Rockstead pony town is short walk east.”

“I see.” Rarity clutched the straps of her pack and sucked on her lip. This was it. She’d be on her own again. If she could will her legs to move…

“This for pony.”

Her fears stalled by the unexpected statement, Rarity set her gaze on Jewelbone’s outstretched paw. In it was a small sphere that appeared to be made of glass. It was a light green color with pale white splotches inside like trapped, immobile clouds. What sort of object was this supposed to be? She reached out and found it fit neatly in her palm, being just small enough that the tips of her fingers could barely touch her thumb.

Then she tried lifting it and felt her eyebrows rise at the resistance. It was much heavier than it looked, although not so much as to be a burden. She brought it closer to her face and peered, but saw nothing to make its purpose clear. “What is it?”

Jewelbone’s toothy grin was playful. “Touch with pony magic and see.”

Rarity obeyed, igniting her horn and letting a tiny bit of her magic slip over the orb. It promptly began emitting a green aura that easily drowned out the light of her own. Inside the sphere came a series of numbers, fifteen in all. That was interesting at first, but when the orb failed to do anything else Rarity cocked her head. “I don’t understand.”

Her guide nodded, expression patient. “Boss want to know of pony friend in the world. Message Orb usually given only to Division Managers for Bank, but Boss like pony, so pony get one too.” She reached out to tap the orb lightly with a padded finger. “Show Message Orb to Post Office or Bank. Employee confirm number and let pony send letter to Boss.”

Something bubbled up within Rarity. She wasn’t sure what it was, but it had her grinning like a foal. “You mean I can write to Spike at any time?”

Jewelbone nodded once more, her ears flapping loosely. “Big deal. Rare pony be given Message Orb. Pony very lucky.”

The idea brought a measure of hope to Rarity. Even if she was alone out there, she still had someone to talk to. If she told Spike what her plans were, he might be able to send letters ahead and respond. Just the thought of having a friend to communicate with while she traveled brought a weight off her shoulders.

But then a thought struck her and the excitement faded. “But what if my letters are intercepted? I… I can’t let my location be known so easily.” She flinched at Jewelbone’s peering look. “It’s complicated.”

Jewelbone thought on this for a moment, scratching her side as she did. “Magic Post Ponies can send letter to Boss with magic. Not do for free, though.” She shrugged. “Only idea Jewelbone can offer. Sorry.”

“You know, I think that will work. Thank you.” But Rarity’s mood had been soured by another thought. She took a moment to put the orb away in a pocket of her vest. Then, sucking in a slow breath, she faced Jewelbone directly and at her full height. Which wasn’t saying much – Diamond Dogs were startlingly tall creatures – but she needed to appear in command of herself. “Miss Jewelbone, I understand the Diamond Dogs are not fond of me.”

“Armed pony sneaks into dog home without anypup noticing. Armed pony runs with gun drawn to Boss’s room.” Jewelbone said these things lightly, as if they meant little to her. Her next words, however, came out solemn. “Many dogs not happy with pony. Boss’s word keeps pony safe, but dogs not happy, no.”

“I know.” Keeping her hands clasped behind her back so as to not give away her anxiety, Rarity pursed her lips and met Jewelbone’s gaze. “Would you please give them my most sincere apologies? I’d offer you all something to make up for my mistake, but I’m afraid I don’t know what I can offer that would appease all of you.”

Jewelbone peered at her, ears rolled forward and shoulders hunched. Rarity tried to read the expression, but it wasn’t easy. Anger? Curiosity? Mere thoughtfulness? The dog’s face was a puzzle, even compared to other dogs. Rarity thought she might start sweating under that gaze.

But then Jewelbone grinned and shrugged. “Pony be good Bank customer. Dogs forgive pretty quick.” She barked a laugh at Rarity, who imagined her confusion was as plain as the horn on her head. “Pony no worry! Boss like pony, pony good with Bank, dogs will forgive. Dogs good at forgiving.” She tapped the side of her head. “One-track minds.”

Hardly ideal… but it would have to do for now. Rarity wasn’t exactly in a position to try earning forgiveness at the moment. She sighed and let the tension out of her shoulders. “Very well, then. Thank you, Jewelbone, for escorting me.”

“Pony is welcome. Come back and visit! Make Boss happy. Happy Boss is happy dogs.” Jewelbone flashed a toothy grin before heading back down the tunnel from whence they’d come, arms swinging in wide arcs. Within seconds, the darkness had swallowed her up, leaving Rarity alone.

She moved before any doubting thoughts could have a chance to form, entering the tunnel she’d been shown. There were no torches here, so she used her horn to light the way. It was a tricky path, rising and falling and twisting about in seemingly random ways. The blue glow, the shadows dancing eerily on the walls, the treacherous footing. It all gave Rarity a sense of déjà vu.

Worse, the longer she walked, the more her heart fluttered in her chest. What if the tunnels never ended? She could still see Little Strongheart’s wicked smile. The ghosts of hunger pangs ate at her, but she knew they weren’t real. She’d had a significant meal right before leaving!

Unless she’d been in here longer than she’d thought. Time had been confusing the last time too.

Had there been a ‘last time?’ Maybe she’d never met Spike. Maybe she’d imagined it up in a state of desperation and weariness and starvation. Maybe she was dying, and the hunger pangs were real. She licked her lips and swallowed. It did nothing for her dry mouth. She was lost, she was confused, maybe she—

Light. It had come up so gradually she’d missed it, but now that Rarity paid attention… yes, the area was brighter. She was nearing an exit! Exerting the willpower necessary to not break into a run, Rarity navigated the path with a sense of bubbling excitement. When the end of the tunnel came into sight, she gave out a gleeful cry and gave up her efforts to go slow.

It wasn’t until Rarity was outside of the cave and in the open, fresh air that she let her doubts fade entirely. She paused at the mouth of the cave and gazed upon a rocky landscape of hills set in the soft glow of dusk. As barren as it was, the sight brought a laugh to her lips.

“Oh, it feels so good to be outside!” She stretched, relishing the feel of a warm breeze on her skin, and shook her mane as if to rid it of water. Just the act of breathing felt invigorating! So much so that for a while she simply stood there and took in her inhales and exhales, delighting in the moment.

Yet the more she stood there, taking in the scenery, the more her excitement drifted. She turned around to take in the cave mouth. It was unadorned and bland. Nopony would have any reason to believe there was anything special within, much less a Diamond Dog town and a dragon. Craning her neck, she observed the tall, sharp peaks of the Dragon’s Teeth. Once she’d hoped that getting past them would give her a new start. Now?

Her thoughts drifted once more to faces she’d seen, names she’d learned, friends she’d made and lost. She so dearly hoped Troublemaker was alright. And his parents, and Coco, and Cranky, and Fleetfeather. Even Little Strongheart, though that took some work to admit.

And Spike. He’d been such a dear. She could have… could have…

Whimpering, she dropped to her knees and hugged herself. “You’re a fool, Rarity. A big, dumb, airheaded fool. You could have been safe. Why didn’t you stay?”

She knew the answer well: she couldn’t let herself become a doll. She had to live on her own terms. But to have that independence, to be her own mare…

Shivers ran up and down her spine. Her throat and eyes burned. To live life on her terms, even if it wasn’t her dream of being a fashionista, she’d have to be out here. Facing the dangers. Was it worth it? She’d spent so much time thinking about it, but had it been enough? Maybe she’d not looked at it from every angle. There could be something else, some dark truth that might have made life as a treasure in a hoard worth it.

The thought brought a frail chuckle out from between her chattering teeth. “Darker than death and slavery?”

She wanted to go back. To find her way to Spike and beg him to keep her safe and protected and alive forever. She’d make pretty dresses and pose and talk to him sweetly into the late nights that she’d never recognize for the lack of a sun and moon. Beauty and the Beast, except the beauty would be helpless and dainty and want nothing but to be protected.

The trembling stopped. “Because what is she good for?”

Sucking down a slow, deep breath, Rarity forced her arms to her sides. Her eyes remained locked on the dark cave as her fingers worked blindly with the backpack. A zipper came loose, and she groped inside until something heavy met her hand. She pulled it out and looked down at Ruby Heart, its namesake gems shimmering in the dim light of dusk. With it in her left hand, she used her right to pull out Silver Lining.

Another long breath. And another. The anxiety remained, but the fear that had brought her low faded. Slowly, her legs shaking, she forced herself to her hooves. As she did, she noticed a faint glow coming from the gem in her necklace, just visible through her shirt. A warmth spread through her, making her feel lighter, calmer, and more determined. She reached up with Ruby Heart and touched the back of her thumb to the fabric, feeling the solid presence of the necklace.

The light died. Anxiety slipped back into her mind, but Rarity’s calm remained.

Maybe it was the Element of Generosity. Maybe not. She was still not inclined to accept such an outlandish idea, even if she could acknowledge that it was more than a mere fashion statement. Whatever it was, Rarity was grateful to Coco for giving it to her. Having it on just felt… right, somehow.

With one last look at the cave, she turned east, her back to the setting sun. Somewhere up ahead was the town of Rockstead. And from there, who knew? Rarity looked to her future and saw only shadows. There were so many things that could happen, most of them deadly, and she couldn’t lie to herself and claim to be ready for it.

“But if I’m going to live…” She glanced at the pistols in her hands. Lifted them, tested their weight. “Really live, I can’t be a useless beauty. This is my life now.”

Silver Lining went back to its harness. Ruby Heart was tucked into the backpack. Rarity stood tall and fought to ignore the squirming feeling in her stomach. Lips pursed and doubts pushed away for later, she took her first step east. She found it got easier to move once she’d gotten started.

“Running away and hiding will do you no good, Rarity. Time to face this new life head on.”

Author's Note:

This may be the single shortest chapter in the entire story. Just sayin'.

The World of Bulletproof Heart

The Seventy-Three Wars

I wasn't going to talk about this, but seeing as it'll probably never get a full description in any of the three planned stories I figure there's no harm in giving some worldbuilding background. As the story has established, when Celestia and Luna disappeared the world grew significantly hotter. This vastly rearranged the world environment, making once-livable land treacherous and turning once-frigid territories into farmland. The result was a massive shift in the arrangement of world power and a struggle for resources and better living arrangements. All those places made wealthy by location were suddenly agriculturally barren deathraps, whereas regions once known to be poor and struggling had become prosperous safe harbors.

This vast upheaval in the natural order of things led to what history refers to as the Seventy-Three Wars, so-named because that's the official number of conflicts. Official, because records aren't accurate and some wars were so destructive that the records of them were destroyed. And since history is not a prime topic in Equestria these past few centuries a lot of information has been lost. What is known is that the wars saw a few generations of total chaos; once-proud empires such as Grypha were shattered, new nations formed and died within a decade or two, and the political map was completely rewritten hundreds of times.

Equestria was no exception. Once a growing nation of steadily increasing influence, by the end of the Seventy-Three Wars it had been ripped apart by civil war and petty feuds between locales, culminating in today's numerous independent City States.

Today, some 700 years since the recognized conclusion of the Seventy-Three Wars, peace is still a tremulous thing in most of the world. Equestria has not seen a major conflict between the City States in over a century, leading many to consider this a peaceful age despite the ongoing bickering and isolation of the different territories. That peace is only held together by a fragile web of agreements and treaties layered over a common sense of mistrust.

Meanwhile, the common pony just tries to get by...