• Published 12th Aug 2018
  • 5,041 Views, 719 Comments

Bulletproof Heart - PaulAsaran



In a hot desert Equestria, Rarity Belle makes her living as a clothier in the small town of Spurhoof. But when a posse of Bad Apples arrive in town, she finds her life turned upside down. Now she fights for only one thing: survival.

  • ...
13
 719
 5,041

Episode 11: The Southroad

97th of Falling Heat, 1005 BA

“You’re leaving?”

Rarity glanced at Maud, then went back to counting her bullets. “Yes. I intend to leave as soon as possible.”

Maud lingered in the doorway. Rarity paid her no mind, too busy putting her new 45 caliber ammunition in a fresh bullet bag. She’d lost the majority of her ruby-tipped bullets in the sandstorm, aside from the few that remained in Ruby Heart’s slide loader, and she hadn’t time to wait for new ones to be made. She’d bought enough regular bullets to last her a while though. She’d restocked on 9mm bullets for Silver Lining of course. She had enough ammunition now to practice a clip on each gun every day for the next season.

With what she expected to happen, she might need every shot.

“Stay another night.”

With a sigh, she brushed the last of the 9mm bullets into Silver Lining’s ammo bag. Tying it to her belt loop on the left, she answered, “In case you missed it, the Apple Gang is holding my family hostage. The longer I wait, the more likely they’ll think that I’m not coming. What do you think they’ll do if they believe I didn’t care enough to show up?”

Maud watched her tie Ruby Heart’s new ammo bag to her belt loop, right next to Silver Lining’s. “You don’t know they’re being held hostage.”

Rarity’s laugh even tasted bitter. “Yes, I’m sure my parents and sister have no idea.” She stared at the bed, the familiar photo flitting through her mind’s eye. The memory of her family’s smiles settled in her stomach like a lead weight. “I can’t take the risk. I have to go.”

A hand, unexpectedly soft, touched her shoulder. “I’ve got a load of gems heading to Hoofington tomorrow evening. They’re taking the Southroad. It’s got protection. Wait.”

The idea made Rarity cringe. Going with a caravan meant moving at their speed, which wouldn’t be her speed. But then, it would be a lot safer, and if the Bad Apples deigned to follow her out of Rockstead it might be nice to have some backup. That assumed she could trust Maud’s hired help though. She studied the mare, but was unable to find any sort of emotional hint in that neutral face.

“I’ve seen what can happen to even a large wagon train,” she said at last. “How do you know your caravan is any safer than the one I found before?”

Not an ounce of hesitation or doubt touched Maud’s reply. “If there’s something out there that can do that, would you rather face it alone?”

“If I’m alone, they might not notice me at all.” Yet Rarity had to concede Maud’s point. If she was going to get into a fight against enough ponies as to take down a large caravan, she’d rather not do it by herself. Did her family have time for her to move at the caravan’s pace?

Maud squeezed her shoulder. Perhaps it was meant to be reassuring. “You have time. The Apple Gang can’t possibly know when or even if you’ll see the message. If this is a scheme, they’ll be waiting for the long haul.”

That… made sense. It had to have taken a few weeks for the Rockstead paper headquarters to even receive her parents’ ad, and it may not have even reached places like Las Pegasus or Mareami yet. Unless they used unicorn messengers. She could have gone to the headquarters herself to ask about how long the ad had been running, but what if the Bad Apple Gang was hoping she’d do exactly that? It seemed farfetched even to her, but she’d had enough trouble with the Gang to not want to invite any more if she could help it.

“I know you’re scared.” Maud turned her so they faced one another properly. “I know you think things are lower than the bedrock layer. I know what it’s like. But you can’t run into this guns blazing. Saving your family isn’t worth anything if you’re not alive to enjoy it.”

The words, so full of meaning, sounded strange coming in that bland tonality. Even so, Rarity found she appreciated them. Maud really did know, didn’t she? She’d already lost what Rarity was at risk of losing. She gazed into those plain eyes, which seemed so disinterested compared to her words and motions. It would be comical, had Rarity any interest in amusement right now.

Heaving a deep sigh, she nodded. “Okay. I’ll wait. I might go a little crazy, though.”

“Your impatience is acceptable. Your death isn’t.” Maud turned for the door.

“Maud?”

She paused in the hall to turn back.

“Thank you.”

Maud met her gaze. After a moment of silence, she turned and walked away. Rarity wondered if she’d ever properly understand the mare.

Rubbing the nub on Silver Lining’s grip, Rarity turned to observe her backpack. It had already been fully loaded. “Now what am I going to do with my day?” After several minutes of pacing and trying not to think about her family’s situation, Rarity decided to head into town.

There were a few things she could think of that might take her mind off her worries.


“Hey, did you read that article in the paper?”

“There are a lot of articles in the paper, Miss Prattler.”

“Don’t tease, Eavesdrop, you know I mean the one on the Bulletproof Heart!”

“Oh. I did read that one, actually.”

“Can you believe she wiped out an entire caravan on her own? And not just any caravan, an Apple Family caravan.”

“You really shouldn’t believe everything you read in the paper.”

“What, you think they’re lying?”

“I think they don’t have all their facts straight. Nopony short of the Flaming Vermillion could have taken down one of those caravans by herself.”

“But it wasn’t her! I’m telling you, the Bulletproof Heart is real. I wonder why she’d go after the Apple Family. Aren’t they separate from the Bad Apple Gang?”

“Who knows? Maybe she’s one of those class warfare, ‘down with the agricultural elite’ types.”

“Oh, I hope not. You don’t fight the earth ponies, how else would we survive?”

“Thestrals grow food too, y’know.”

“But thestrals don’t run Equestria. Everypony knows the big earth pony families hold the power.”

“I’m just saying we’d find a way to live without them if we had to.”

“But the Apples… It’s a shame, isn’t it? They just don’t have the same clout they used to, not since the Gang formed and cut ties with them. They say it was like an all-out civil war for a while.”

“I know. I had an uncle who died in the fighting. I was still in a foal’s crib at the time.”

“Let’s just hope this doesn’t mean the Bulletproof Heart’s in league with the Bad Apples. That would be just terrible.”

“I’m still not convinced it was Bulletproof that did that Apple caravan in. It could have been a rival family with a grudge.”

“It was her, Eavy! They even got a description! A unicorn mare.”

“That’s not a description, Miss Prattler. Coat color? Mane color? Maybe a bit of news on her clothing?”

“Well, they did say she’s white. Such a noble color.”

Rarity figured now was the time to get out of the market district.


Unfortunately for Rarity, it turned out buying a couple sets of new clothes and resizing them wasn’t a good enough distraction. “They told everypony what I look like. Everypony!

As she viciously attacked her new khaki brown pants with a needle and thread at the dining table, Marble busied herself with the making of dinner – something to do with tomatoes and spinach, apparently. She kept glancing Rarity’s way as the rant continued.

“How am I supposed to go into a town for supplies? How many ponies saw that article? Will it spread across Equestria?” She growled, flipping the pants to continue her work. She gripped the fabric so tightly she nearly ripped out the new stitching. “I used to be one of those silly gossipers, but now I understand just how terrible the habit can be. I have half a mind to find that news reporter and give her a piece of my mind!”

Marble dared to speak up, her words barely audible. “I don’t think the article will spread beyond Rockstead.”

“I should hope not! But what if it does?” Rarity closed her eyes for a moment, envisioning everypony staring at her when she walked into Mooisville. “Everypony will know me on sight. My reputation may be ruined. I’ll never be able to open a new shop. And let’s not forget the army of brutes out for my blood!”

“Um… Well…” Marble bit her lip and failed to push past her visible anxiety.

Rarity waved the sewing needle in the air. “Say, you all remember that pony Rarity, the wealthy one who used to have a proper business in Spurhoof? Why no, I certainly don’t. She’s gone and disappeared, and who cares about her anyway?”

“That’s not—”

“But what about that Bulletproof Heart, hmm?” She went at the pants once more, fingers and magic working together to trim the legs. Scissors and thread and needle and buttons floated around her in a minor storm of crackling blue energy. “Oh, everypony knows about her! She’s some trigger happy ruffian gunslinger who’s always dirty because she lives in the wilds scrounging for food and trying not to get killed by heartless outlaws and can’t come into town and live a civilized life because everypony knows who she is on sight!

A hand caught her wrist. Rarity looked up to find Marble staring at her with a deep frown and glassy, concerned eyes. She tried to pull her hand away, but the small mare had a grip like iron. “Marble?”

“Calm down.” The fingers squeezed, and Rarity winced in pain. “Please. Calm down.”

What was that Maud said before?

She tends to forget her strength when she’s scared. I did not want to have to save you from her.

With a heavy sigh, Rarity let her tools settle onto the table and covered her eyes with her free hand. “I apologize, Darling. I guess I’m letting my emotions run away with me today.”

“Mm-hmm.” Marble eased up on her grip, but didn’t let go.

Rarity looked up. Marble fidgeted and avoided her gaze. “Marble, honey, it’s okay. I won’t bite if you want to say something.” And please don’t squish my arm into a toothpick.

Closing her eyes, Marble took a deep breath. At last, she let Rarity go. She promptly returned to the kitchen counter. As she started grating some cheese, she spoke up. “They don’t have a picture of you.”

That wasn’t at all what Rarity had expected. “No, I suppose they don’t.”

“There are a lot of white unicorns out there.”

Rarity’s ears went flat against her skull. “I guess that’s true.”

“So there’s no reason for anypony to believe you’re the Bulletproof Heart.”

“I know. I’m fretting.” Rarity crossed her arms on the table and rested her chin on them. “I’m sorry. It just seems like there’s so much happening and I don’t know if I can keep up anymore.”

Marble looked as if she were going to say something, but after a moment’s pause went back to work. When it became apparent that no further conversation was coming, Rarity looked down at the pants on the table. She rubbed the fabric, thinking about home and Moosiville and her old dreams. They seemed so silly now. Inconsequential.

Her thoughts drifted to her family, especially Sweetie. She’d not been much of an elder sibling, had she? Always practicing her stitching or trying to make new designs, never bothering to entertain her sister. The dear child had taken it all in stride. Now that she reflected on it, it seemed the majority of their little spats had stemmed from Rarity’s intolerance. And really, would it have been such a burden to blow an hour or two playing with Sweetie?

Great, now she could blend guilt in with her fears. It seemed so shameful now, placing her foolish fantasies above her family like she had.

“It’s going to be alright.”

Rarity cried out, nearly jumping from her seat. Maud blinked down at her, but otherwise offered no reaction.

“Honestly, Darling!” Rarity slapped a hand to her chest as she fought to control her breathing. “You really should give a mare some warning.”

“I apologize,” came the bone-dry reply. “I need to exercise better control of my volume.”

“If you say so.” Heartbeat back under control, Rarity turned to the pants and took the needle and thread in her magic once more. “I suppose I should get these things out of the way, hmm? I’ll finish shortening this leg and then move my operation.”

She worked for a while, the air filled with the sound of snipping scissors and the faint hint of magic. Maud didn’t move, and Rarity could feel those dull eyes boring into her. She wondered if she was supposed to have said something else. Had she offended in some way?

“Tonight’s free of charge.”

Pausing in her work, Rarity blinked up at her. “Pardon?”

“I didn’t mention it before.” Maud glanced at Marble, who didn’t seem to be paying them any mind. Her eyes returned to Rarity. “You don’t pay for staying anymore.”

Rarity fidgeted with the thimble on her finger. “That’s really not necessary. I can afford to pay, and you two have already—”

“We know what you’re going through.” Maud met her stare with heavy-lidded eyes. “We know it’s tough. Tougher than what we had to go through.”

“I don’t know about that…” Rarity petered off as Maud leaned just a fraction closer. Such a small change, but it was enough to make her shrink back in her seat.

“We lost our family,” Maud said, and a touch of force managed to press through her normally stoic tone. “But not all of it, and we kept our fortune. We kept our lives. We worked hard to keep running the farm on our terms, but that was a choice, not a requirement. You stand to lose everything, including your life, and you don’t have the liberty of choice.” She turned her eyes to Marble, who was now watching them from behind a curtain of hair. “Your situation is harder. We want to help however we can.”

Marble gave a small nod and a “Mm-hmm.”

Looking from one sister to the other, Rarity sighed and slumped back in the seat. “You girls… Alright. If you really insist, then alright. I just don’t like taking advantage of you like this.”

“You’re not taking advantage of us,” Maud replied as she walked away. “You’re catching what little breaks you can. We’re happy to help.”

“Mm-hmm.”

If only she could take comfort in their words, but all she could think of was how they’d just confirmed how preposterously bad her situation was. Not exactly the kind of encouragement she preferred. It only made her regret staying here another night. What if Maud and Marble were wrong, and she got to Moosiville a day too late to save her family?

Stop it, Rarity. You’re letting your anxiety take control again. Sucking down an elongated breath, she willed the negative thoughts away. You’ll get home, you’ll solve this problem, and you’ll save everypony.

Somehow…


The gem caravan was small, consisting of only four wagons. Four mercenaries protected it, each with their own Dust Devil. It seemed woefully inadequate for whatever might be out there, but Rarity wouldn’t complain. Any protection was better than no protection at all. She noted with curiosity that everypony in the group was an earth pony, with the notable exception of a large white unicorn who appeared to be separate from the others. He’d be quite handsome were it not for his wild blue mane, stubble and raggedy military jacket that looked like it had been stolen from a garbage heap.

Her survey of the wagon train was interrupted by the approach of the Pie Sisters from the farmhouse. Curiously, it was Marble in the lead. She went straight to Rarity, holding something in her hands and unable to look her in the eye. Maud held something large and brown.

“What’s this?” Rarity took the proffered item from Marble. It was a thin wristband of silver chain, adorned with the moon-and-sun sigil of the Church of Mother Night. The sigil itself appeared to be made of sculpted obsidian. “Why, it’s lovely!”

“Mm-hmm.” Marble entwined her fingers and shifted from hoof to hoof. “Y-you said you wanted to go to church, but never went. I thought you might like a reminder. The Sisters are always looking out for us.”

Translation: she feared Rarity was losing faith. It was true that Rarity had had some… choice words for the princesses in the past, but her faith had only been a little shaken, not tested. Still, obsidian was pretty low in Spike’s Gem/Bit Conversion System, so Marble likely didn’t spend too much on it. Unless…

Rarity peered at the young mare. “This isn’t some family heirloom, is it?”

Marble actually smiled. “I asked Maud to get it from the church this morning.”

“Oh. Good. In that case…” She slipped the band over her wrist, tightened the chain, then held it up to view it in the proper light. The dark stone contrasted sharply with her pale skin, so much so it was almost garish. Still, it was a gift from a friend, and Rarity wasn’t so picky about that kind of thing anymore. She chose to ignore that unhappy pony in her mind crying over her lost principles. “Thank you, Darling. I’m sure it will bring me luck.”

Marble raised her hand, palm down and gave Rarity a hopeful look. With a warm smile, Rarity copied the gesture. They brought their hands together, fingers intertwining, held that for a moment, then pulled their hands apart gradually. They had only a few seconds to enjoy one another’s smiles before a new, rough voice interrupted what had been on the verge of a poignant moment. “You didn’t tell me the tag along was gonna be a unicorn.”

They turned to find Maud standing beside a tall earth pony mare. The newcomer was cream-colored with a light brown – Have you lost even your color recognition, Rarity? It’s grayish gamboge! – mane. She was missing a chunk from her left ear and was dressed in a rumpled green – Brilliant harlequin. Really! – buttoned shirt. Rarity chose to give the pony in her head a break and not give the pants more than a passing glance.

“Is that a problem?” Maud asked.

“Of course it’s a problem,” the mare replied with what must have been the most disdainful tone Rarity had ever heard. “Unicorns don’t belong on wagon trains, and I’m already dragging along one of the whining layabouts.”

Maud raised an eyebrow. “I thought you said the big guy did well.”

“Well for a unicorn. There are standards.”

Wonderful, the leader of the caravan was an earth pony supremacist. Probably from an agricultural family. Rarity set her hands to her hips and looked down her muzzle at the mare. “I’m no stranger to long-distance travels, thank you very much. I’ll handle myself fine.”

“You better! You lag about and I’ll leave you behind and let the sun bake you. If the Pie Sisters weren’t so reliable and hadn’t already paid I’d have refused you.” The mare turned about, tail flicking. “You get the last wagon with the other filth. If you ain’t on it when we head out in twenty, you ain’t on it at all.”

Rarity grit her teeth as the caravan master walked back to the wagons. “Well, this is going to be a fun trip.”

“Roma comes from the Mater Family,” Maud explained. “Used to be a big agricultural family until the Harvests and the Cherries joined up to beat them in a marketing war. The Maters have resorted to trading to keep themselves up to noble status. Roma’s still just a journeymare, so she doesn’t actually own the wagons.”

“And yet she still wants to rub her race in everypony’s face, I see.” Rarity sighed and rubbed the nub on Silver Lining’s grip. “I guess I’ll just have to put up with it for a while. I’m in no position to be picky.”

Maud shrugged and turned from the wagons. “I’m sorry to say she hires like-minded sorts. Her guard was hired by her employer though, so they should be alright.”

That did make things seem a bit more tolerable. The guards appeared capable of handling themselves in a fight, although Rarity had learned firsthand not to make that kind of judgement at first sight. At least she’d probably get to know the unicorn stallion, since she’d have no choice but to share a wagon with him.

Come to think of it, that didn’t sound pleasant at all. She could almost feel Braeburn touching her again.

“This is for you.” Marble offered the brown object.

Rarity accepted it cautiously, recognizing it once she spotted the buttons. It was Limestone’s larger coat. “This? But why?”

“It gets cold out there at night,” Maud replied with that ceaseless droning tone. “None of your clothes are designed for that. This is.” Just as Rarity was about to object, she spoke over her. “Take it. Limestone would be glad it’s seeing its proper use instead of collecting mothballs in the closet.”

Rarity was tempted to point out that the thing looked terrible on her, but realized it would be easier on everypony to simply accept. After all, the nights did get cold, and she had the necessary materials to spruce up the worn and weathered parts. It would give her something to do on the long road when things were quiet. Plus, she didn’t want to offend the Pie Sisters. “Thank you, Maud. I’ll try to take care of it.”

“Um…” Marble clasped her hands as she met Rarity’s gaze. “I hope you’re wrong and your family’s okay. I really do.”

“That makes two of us.” Rarity wasn’t going to get her hopes up, but she still smiled. Tucking the folded coat under one arm, she looked from sister to sister, one anxious and the other stoic. “Thank you so much for your support. I’m sorry I wasn’t much of a house guest, but I’ll try to make it up to you next time.”

“Just make sure there is a next time.” Maud held out her hand. Rarity took it, recalling the last time they parted ways like this. It felt good, like the handshake was a promise. As if to emphasize that, Maud added a blunt “Don’t die.”

Rarity’s confidence in that regard was far lower this time. “Not if I can help it.” She’d tried to make it sound casual, but couldn’t be sure if she’d pulled it off.

“You…” Marble flinched, glanced away. It took her a few seconds to recover, and Rarity waited patiently. At last, she brushed her long mane from her face and, with head bowed but eyes meeting hers, said, “You’ll write when you get to Hoofington? And Mooisville?”

“Of course I will.” Before the young mare could escape, Rarity engulfed her in a tight hug. The tiny squeak that left Marble’s throat was nothing short of precious. She reminded Rarity of a more docile Fluttershy. How was Fluttershy doing now, anyways? “I will be sure to write. You’ll see, I’ll be just fine.”

“Y-you better be.” Marble’s attempt at a forceful tone failed spectacularly under the heat of her own cheeks.

Ending the embrace, Rarity adjusted her backpack and offered them both one more smile. “Thank you again.” A moment’s pause, just long enough to feel awkward, and she finally turned away.

It dawned upon her that she had been doing a lot of leaving. Saying goodbye didn’t seem to come easier with experience. This one weighed on her heart a little more than the others, and why?

Perhaps because, this time, she wasn’t confident she’d be able to come back.

The wagon was filled with boxes. So many, it seemed there was hardly any room for her, much less her and that massive stallion. Once inside the shaded interior, she settled her backpack on the floor and simply stared at what would be home for the next seven weeks or more. Her mind kept drifting to the Pie Sisters and their warmer treatment this time around. A glance at the bracelet did nothing to help her somber mood.

She reached up to rub her necklace. She remembered saying goodbye to Fluttershy, so confident that she would be returning. Fluttershy… was this how she’d felt at the time? It was so easy to see her now, sitting in the clearing by the graves of her husband and son, pink mane glowing in the sunlight. Alone. She shouldn’t have left her alone.

Sighing, she sat amongst the boxes and let her head rest against the wall.

“You’re a terrible friend, Rarity.”

With the squeak of wheels and a rattling shake, the journey began.


Rarity’s wagon companion wasn’t as talkative as she’d hoped. Not that he was unfriendly, far from it. In spite of his crude appearance, he was a complete gentlestallion to her. But he was also a private individual, and no amount of needling could break his shell. So Rarity was forced to put up with mere small talk with this ‘Shining Armor.’ Most disappointing, especially after two weeks of travel when talking was the only thing that could relieve the tedium.

The group traveled mostly at night and into morning, pausing for rest near noon and sleeping until dusk. The wagon crew consisted of six earth ponies, including Roma Mater, and every one of them treated Rarity and Shining with a mix of apathy and disgust. They piled in two to a wagon, while the guards pitched tents and rotated turns keeping watch. Apparently the guards were hired as individuals rather than a group, although it seemed at least two of them had worked together before.

Despite looking far more… ‘ruffian’ than the traders, they at least treated Rarity with more respect. Well, as much respect as one could hope for from ponies chewing jokeweed and telling bawdy tales around campfires, but she had to take what she could get. Shining Armor didn’t sleep inside as she’d been told, but on the days he wasn’t on watch he tended to pitch his tent close to Rarity’s wagon. She couldn’t tell if he was doing it to keep clear of the bigots or because he wanted to keep watch over her. She did enjoy a few vain thoughts in that regard, though – a mare had to entertain herself somehow. It was good to know she still could after Braeburn.

She soon realized that her wagon was by far the most heavily packed. With no room to lay down, she eventually resorted to sleeping on top of the boxes themselves. It wasn’t much different from sleeping on the ground once she got used to it, and Limestone’s old jacket did a great job of keeping her warm. She made it a point to get some sleep before the others; the first night they’d decided to wake her by simply going, which had been a rude wakeup call from atop the cargo. The jerks had gotten a good laugh out of that.

The worst part about the journey was Roma herself. If she ever spoke a word in Rarity’s direction, it was related to how whatever she was doing was wrong. If it wasn’t wrong, it wasn’t good enough. If it was good enough, it was only by ‘unicorn standards’. Her muzzle was kept perpetually in the air when Rarity was out and about, every glance brimming with disdain.

Like the one she was currently giving Shining as he accepted a cup of stew from Rarity, who had begrudgingly accepted cooking duty for the night. Not a one of the traders looked happy about it, but Roma had to let Rarity do something, otherwise they’d run out of things to insult her over. At least the guards seemed to be enjoying the meal.

“I can’t believe you’re making us eat this piss,” one of the traders grumbled, aiming his complaint at Roma.

“Stuff it, Hogwash,” Roma growled. “You’re the one who didn’t wanna take cooking duty tonight.”

“Yeah, but you didn’t say one of the boneheads was gonna take my turn.” Hogwash’s lips peeled back in a grimace as he sipped from his bowl.

“Stop bitchin’,” one of the other traders snapped. “That’s what boneheads do.”

Though her cheeks burned and the little pony in the back of her mind wanted to show the jerks precisely what that bone sticking out of her head could do, Rarity kept her mouth shut. To defend herself would only antagonize them, and they were bad enough as it was. She finished handing out bowls to the rest of the guards, then started filling her own.

“Dumb mare used too many potatoes,” Roma muttered. “What, does she think we’ve got an unlimited supply of the things? We won’t last another week at this rate.”

Don’t say a word. Rarity grit her teeth and turned for the wagons. She could at least eat away from the arrogant cretins.

“You guys can say what you want,” one trader snickered. “At least it’s nice watching her walk away.”

Roma laughed, a sharp, quick sound. “Any stallion can score a flighty unicorn floozy! Go ahead, I bet she’d get on her knees for a compliment. About the only thing the boneheads are good for.”

Hackles rose. Fingers twitched, barely grazing Silver Lining. Hissing air through her teeth. Rarity kept her retort stifled in the tight confines of her throat as she sat on the back edge of her wagon and glared into the Great Salt Plains. I should have gone on my own, but no, I had to let those stupid sisters talk me into this.

“It’ll be safer, Rarity. Your family can wait one more day. The cross-desert trade route is faster anyway.” She snorted and gulped down her stew. Maybe she had gone a little heavy handed with the potatoes. “Why couldn’t Maud have used the Rambling Company? I doubt they’d hire these buffoons.”

Her gaze drifted once more over the sands, seeking out any signs of movement. Memories of her trip with Long Horn’s wagon train made her unwilling to trust her travelling companions with keeping watch. She’d been casting wary looks at the sand dunes for the entire trip, and her sleep had been restless. She had little intention of being caught in her bedroll by a bunch of ne’er-do-wells a second time. The memory left her paranoid, and any sound within the wagon was enough to snap her awake.

By the Sisters, she missed being a heavy sleeper.

“Don’t let them get to you.”

She jumped, free hand reaching for Ruby Heart, but stopped herself upon seeing Shining Armor. He leaned back as if expecting her to strike, tent bundle in his arms.

With a heavy sigh, Rarity focused on her soup once more. “Sorry, Mr. Armor. Just a little jumpy.”

Once her hand was lowered, he relaxed and set about getting his tent set up. “I can’t blame you, after what they just said.” He must have noticed her scanning the horizon again, for he asked, “You expecting something?”

A sip of soup. “The last time I was in a trade caravan, we got ambushed by griffons. The last time I traveled alone, I got ambushed by outlaws. I’m not interested in being ambushed for a third time.” He was silent, and when she turned her eyes to him he went back to work in a hurry. Had she said something strange? She chose not to press him, instead trying to enjoy her soup.

“You’ve got a bounty on your head, right?”

She groaned. “How is it everypony can tell that just by looking at me? It’s as if I’ve adapted some sort of look that says ‘hey, everypony, I’m a wanted mare!’”

“I meant no offense…”

“Too late now, I’m all flustered.” She shot him a smile to reveal her sarcasm. “Don’t worry about me, Mr. Armor. I can handle myself.”

“Just Shining, ma’am.”

She watched him as he finished setting up his tent. It didn’t look at all big enough for him. Certainly smaller than what Yearling had shared with her. As he put down the last counterweight, she noted the pistol beneath his yellow officer’s coat. It had a long barrel, and the caliber appeared smaller than that of Ruby Heart. Larger than Silver Lining, though. It had a small gold sun pressed into the handle.

“That coat isn’t just for show, is it?”

He paused, but only for a moment. “No.”

He likely wouldn’t tell her more than that, and she didn’t press him. Had he been discharged for some reason? Or perhaps he’d turned traitor. She knew yellow was the standard color for the Hoofington Army, and that golden sun belonged to a Major. Oh, but she’d have loved to pick at his mind and find out his story.

“Hey.”

She blinked out of her reverie. He’d finished his tent and was kneeling before the tent flap, but there was no question he’d been addressing her. “Yes?”

“You’ve been around, right? Explored different places?”

“Well, I’m no explorer, but… I guess.”

His head turned her way, but his eyes wouldn’t meet hers. “Have you ever met a purple unicorn? She’d be about your age. Curious sort, always wants to know everything.”

Rarity cocked her head. “I can’t say I’ve met a pony who meets that description, no.”

“I see.” He took a long, slow breath. “Thanks, anyway.” He disappeared into the tent without another word. She stared at the tent flap, half hoping he’d come out and explain himself.

Now what was that all about?


Rarity had been sitting at the back of the train, gazing out at the night horizon beneath a pale half-moon, when the wagon stopped. The abrupt motion pulled her out of her musing, and the first thing she noted was that it was far too early to be stopping. They still had at least another hour before the sun would start to brighten the horizon.

Wary of what this might mean, Rarity hopped from the back of the wagon, boots kicking up sand as she landed. She kept a firm grip on Silver Lining as she circled the wagon. It only took a moment to notice the object in the distance, sparking with a faint orange glow. She’d overheard one of the traders say they were approaching a rest camp, so this was to be expected, right?

Shining Armor rode towards her from the front of the wagon train, face grim. She waited until he stopped at her side to ask, “What’s going on?”

The sand lizard, its silver scales glistening in the light of the moon, squatted to its belly, but Shining didn’t dismount. “It looks like the rest camp’s been raided.”

Raided? Just her luck. Not bothering to hide her annoyance, she said, “I thought it was exceedingly rare for bandits to raid the rest stops?”

He nodded. “It is. Hop on, Roma wants us to scout it out ahead of the caravan.”

“Us?” She took a moment to examine their surroundings, but none of the other guards magically appeared nearby. “Us. I’m not even a guard. Why us?”

Shining’s snorted and cast a dark look towards the front of the caravan. “Because we’re unicorns and that makes us expendable.”

“Direct quote?” At his nod, she sighed and checked Silver Lining’s current cylinder. Fully loaded. “Let’s get this over with.”

She accepted his offered hand, allowing him to pull her up onto the back of the Dust Devil behind him. “You ever ride before?” he asked.

“Once. It’s not an experience I like to remember, but I know the basics.” She shifted as the Dust Devil stood up once more, and soon they were riding towards the camp. Rarity didn’t give the traders so much as a passing glance; they were beneath her attention at this point.

When they were out of earshot of the others, Shining spoke up. “I’m betting you know your way around a fight.”

Rarity reached up to touch her necklace. “I’ve been in a few. Don’t worry, I won’t hesitate.”

“I’m more worried about your aim.”

That made her chuckle. “If the aim I’ve seen from most ponies constitutes ‘average’, then you have nothing to worry about.” Unable to see over his broad back, she leaned sideways to get a view of their destination.

At this distance it was much easier to tell that the camp had been attacked. The tents had fallen over, some of them still smoldering, and several storage crates and barrels had been smashed to pieces. A trio of bodies littered the area, and she promptly turned her eyes to their surroundings. Not to avoid the imagery, but because she half-expected the perpetrators to still be around.

“Fire looks old,” Shining muttered. “The bandits are probably long gone.”

“The last time I thought that, a pony threw a live stick of dynamite at me.”

He shifted to look at her from over his shoulder, eyes wide. “That seems a bit extreme.”

She shrugged. “Don’t look at me, they’re the ones who tried it.”

He studied her with one eye for several seconds before turning forward once more. “You really have been through some shit, haven’t you? Most civilians I know would be scared half to death right now.”

Perhaps he meant the words to be encouraging, but instead they left her cringing. To think there’d come a day – or night, as the case may be – when some gun-toting ex-soldier mercenary praised her for her combat experience. The ‘old’ Rarity would have laughed at the absurdity of it. Right now? Her heart slumped in her ribs at the understanding of what she was turning into.

They came to a stop just outside the camp. Dismounting, they walked among the remains to the bodies lying in the pale white sand. Two unicorns and an earth pony, all middle aged. Shining knelt down next to one of the bodies and shook its arm. “Loose, but cold. They’ve been lying here a while.”

Rarity took some minor relief in that even as she silently asked Luna to shepherd the poor ponies’ souls to the Exalted Stars. She turned her attention to the medical tent, easily identifiable by its blue colors. It was there that the fire had been, and it had consumed much of the tent and some of the surrounding supplies. “I don’t understand. These rest stops are pivotal for caravans like ours to survive the Southroad, and the bandits need them too. Destroying a stop is reckless in the extreme.”

“Yeah, it is.” Standing up once more, Shining started for one of the storage areas, which amounted to a lot of crates and barrels piled on top of one another. “Roma might think we’re just here to protect her, but my boss also wanted me to look into these raids, see if I can’t find who’s responsible. See if you can’t find some evidence, okay?”

Rarity started for one of the collapsed tents. “You mean this isn’t the first time this has happened?”

“It’s the first time they’ve gone after a rest camp,” he replied, looking into each crate one at a time. “But the raids have been going on for almost the entire fall season. My employer thinks they might all be coming from one group.”

Lifting the tent fabric in her magic, Rarity said, “That seems inordinately dangerous. From what I understood, most gangs leave the Plains after one or two raids, and those who don’t usually end up succumbing to the elements and lack of supplies.”

“This one seems to be an exception.” He cursed and tossed the lid of a barrel aside. “They took food. Must have been a hit for survival.”

The tent at last held up by her magic, Rarity stepped inside and inspected the interior. It had clearly been the barracks, given the… four cots? Either it had gone unused, or there was a fourth body nearby. She seriously doubted anypony escaped alive, after all.

“Well,” Shining grumbled, “at least the Rambling Company didn’t lose too much with this raid. That’ll take the sting off losing three volunteers. Maybe.”

Rarity took note of a picture frame lying on the ground. She picked it up and saw the smiling face of one of the unicorns out front. He was younger in the photo, dressed in a dapper suit. He had a colt, perhaps five, on his shoulder and another, slightly older tugging on his opposite sleeve. So, he’d been a father. And some random group of strangers snuffed out his life, as if it were nothing. Those two boys would probably be in their early teens now. Were they waiting at home with their mother, wishing their father’s year-long contract with the company would finally come to an end?

Spike’s book on the Bank had an entire chapter devoted to the Southroad. She’d only skimmed it, but she recalled that the rest camp merchants were very well paid for their services. And here was this stallion, earning a good wage to support his family. What had he done to deserve dying out here, so far from home in a barren and sweltering desert?

If her life were a book, Rarity imagined this would be the moment cluing the reader into a coming fight. A noble side quest, distracting the protagonist from her real goal. She set the picture down and turned away; she wasn’t some hero out to exact justice for the dead. She had her own problems to worry about right now, and she wouldn’t go searching for trouble.

But… if she did happen to knowingly come across the scoundrels responsible, she’d put her guns to good use.

The thought made her feel dirty. More so because it was honest.


Their search turned up nothing in terms of evidence. Whoever had decided to attack the camp, they’d left nothing substantial enough to pin the deed to a group or organization. Rarity wasn’t clear on how they’d be able to pick out such a thing anyway. From what Shining had told her, bandit gangs formed and broke up along the Southroad all the time. He hadn’t seemed too disappointed though. When pressed, he admitted that he didn’t expect to learn anything unless the bandits attacked the caravan directly. This was his third time making the run without any luck in that regard, if ‘luck’ was even the right term for it.

The bandits had only taken some of the food, and there was enough left over that the caravan wasn’t put in a bad spot. Rarity couldn’t blame Roma for wanting to stock up and move on, but she did blame her for not bothering to properly honor the three bodies. It was with no small amount of guilt that Rarity allowed herself to leave them behind. She would have to write to Spike when she got to Hoofington and explain things. Or did the Lonely Mountain have a post office? Doubtful, but one could never know.

It was almost three weeks after the unpleasant discovery. There’d been no sign of the bandits, and it seemed most of the traders were content to leave it at that. Rarity noted that Shining and his fellows weren’t so quick to let their guard down. Rarity elected to follow their example.

The traders sat around a campfire, cutting up and telling jokes as usual. Shining Armor and one of the other guards was off on a patrol of the immediate area. The other two idled nearby, facing the dark and keeping watch. As usual, Rarity sat on the back edge of her wagon. She had Silver Lining in hand, having just finished inspecting some of its parts and cleaning it. She wanted to practice her shooting, but Shining had warned her against it. Too loud. Too much potential for drawing attention. It made perfect sense, but that didn’t mean she had to like it.

Satisfied with her work, she put Silver Lining back in its holster and stood. Perhaps today’s lunch was ready. After one last, studious examination of the horizon, she turned the corner and looked to the campfire. The traders were already eating. ‘Orange dogs’. Carrots on bread, with a vegetable chili. It was one of the few welcome discoveries Rarity had made on this trip.

Too bad she had to go through them to get to one.

“Hey, if it isn’t sweet cheeks.” A light purple stallion with the dreadfully unfortunate name of Panting Dingo waggled his eyebrows as she approached. “Come to grace us with your presence, eh?”

Dear Luna, but she didn’t like him. The others might ignore, insult, or taunt her, but Panting’s thing was endless flirtation. He seemed to have it in his head that with the right combination of words he’d get a chance to ‘play’ with her, as he liked to call it.

Roma didn’t help matters. “I’m telling ya, P.D., just go for it. She’s only pretending to be offended, but once she sees your orange dog…” She grinned wolfishly while her trader friends laughed.

Rarity had grown a thick skin when it came to jibes such as these. She’d had to endure them for five weeks now. What was the point of continuing to let them get to her? Ignoring his roving eyes, she used her magic to snatch one of the carrots roasting over the fire, set it to some bread, and added a conservative dose of chili. Meal obtained, she turned away without a word.

Roma spoke up. “P.D., you’re a wuss. Maybe if you’d stop talking and started acting she’d wet your carrot.”

“Is that what you think, huh? Watch this.”

It took everything Rarity had not to groan. What was he up to now? Some new line that he thought might make her melt? She ignored the wolf whistles, pausing so as to get this over with. Maybe if she shoved her meal in his face…

“Alright, babe, let’s do this proper.” He appeared at her side with a cocked grin. “What say we stop playing games and have a little fun?”

No, nevermind, he wasn’t worth the loss of good food. “Give up while you’re ahead,” she snapped. “You’re just going to embarrass yourself.”

“Now don’t be that way.” He stepped close. Too close. “You’re pretty hot for a unicorn, and everypony knows you boneheads think with your… heh, ‘bone.’”

She leveled him with a narrow-eyed glare. “I’d rather burn in the desert. You want relief? Use your hand.” With the fool properly rejected, she turned and made her way for the wagon.

“Well, if you insist.”

She froze. He was touching her. Not just touching her. His hand was down there. He caressed her rump and hissed in her ear. “You want to burn? I’ll make you burn all day—”

The image flashed in her mind: Braeburn holding her close, his cocky smile assuring her of a night of torture. Coco screaming, Piles grinning.

And her too afraid to fire a gun.

Her meal fell as she pulled Ruby Heart out from under her vest. In the same motion, she spun left, elbow coming up fast to strike him in the jaw. He grunted, pulled back, didn’t notice as she took aim.

The gunshot filled the air like a thunderclap, and red bloomed on the inner thigh of his pants. Panting Dingo screamed and fell to the ground, clutching the fresh wound. Rarity stomped on his chest, hard, and pressed Ruby Heart’s barrel to his chin.

Shit! What do you think you’re—?”

Silver Lining came out, aimed at the now-standing Roma’s head. “Shut up, you arrogant wretch of a mare!” Seeing everypony freeze and stare, Rarity turned her attention back to the whimpering, sobbing Panting. Grinding Ruby Heart against his chin, she snarled in his face. “If you ever so much as glance at me again, I swear to Celestia, Luna and Discord I will geld you and feed your worthless little bits to a sand lizard. Do I make myself perfectly clear?”

Tears streaming down his cheeks, Panting nodded as best he could against her gun. “I get it, I get it! Please, don’t kill me!”

The familiar sounds of guns being cocked met her ears. She looked up to find all the traders aiming weapons at her. Rarity didn’t move, keeping Silver Lining aimed directly at Roma.

“Alright, you boneheaded bitch,” Roma snarled from behind her rifle. “Let him go, nice and easy. I could blow your head off and wouldn’t lose a minute of sleep over it.”

The tiny pony in the back of Rarity’s mind begged her to be reasonable, but the cold anger within strangled that notion. She was outnumbered and outgunned, but by the Sisters, she had had enough. “I’ll have time to fire one shot,” she snarled.

Roma’s eyes narrowed. “What good would that do you?”

“I can’t kill all of you,” Rarity acknowledged, her words colder than ice. “But I can make damn sure I at least kill you.”

Roma’s rifle wavered, lowing a fraction as a hint of fear flashed behind her eyes. Rarity knew instantly that she’d scored a hit. Just to emphasize her very real intentions, she made sure not to so much as glance at the other traders. She wanted the caravan leader to know that any bullets Rarity fired off would be aimed in only one direction.

Everyone was still, waiting to see who would make the first move. For once, Rarity felt no fear of all the guns aimed her way. She knew death was a possibility, perhaps even guaranteed. Somehow, this concept held no sway over her. She allowed the quiet to linger, interrupted only by the crackling flames and the quiet weeping of Panting, whose head was still pinned by Ruby Heart against his chin.

Then, there came a few more clicks.

“I’d suggest you put your guns down.”

Rarity risked a brief glance, and her pulse sped up. Shining and the guards had joined the standoff. They’d surrounded the traders, who now had to experience guns pointed at their heads. Shining himself had pressed the barrel of his pistol to Roma’s temple.

“Fuck.” Roma’s wide eyes darted about, taking in the new circumstances. They fell upon the earth pony mercenaries who had her crew at gunpoint. “Y-you bastard traitors. You’re siding with these boneheads?”

“Looks like it,” one of them replied casually. He might as well have been discussing the weather, for all the concern present in his voice.

The traders didn’t look half as confident now. Their guns were still aimed at Rarity. It seemed not a one dared to move. Rarity set her attention back on Roma, throwing as much of her hate into the look as she could. She wasn’t going to be backing down, especially now that she had help.

Roma got the message. Slowly, she lowered her rifle, then let it drop to the ground. “You’ll pay for this, Armor. Doo ain’t gonna protect you after I tell her—”

“Stuff it.” Shining sent a commanding look to the other traders, who dropped their weapons one by one. “There, that’s better.” He stepped back and raised his weapon to his shoulder, a position that Rarity knew would let him take aim faster than any of the traders could pick back up their guns. He looked to Rarity. “You gonna get off him now?”

When Rarity looked down at Panting, the stallion let out a pitiful squeal and squirmed. Oh, but she wanted to pull the trigger…

I am not a killer.

Snarling, she stood up and stepped off his chest. She cast one last glare at the traders, looked long and hard at Shining… and finally turned to walk back to her wagon. She ignored whatever words were said, her mind drifting into a rapid analysis of what had just happened. She’d defended herself, stopped something. A small part of her wanted to be proud of that fact, but the rest…

He’d touched her. She could still feel his fingers sliding along the line of her buttocks, down, down to…

Her knees started shaking when she reached the back of the wagon. Something was rising, something primal and consuming and loathsome, and there could be no stopping it. She scrambled into the wagon and squeezed herself into the small space between the boxes, arms wrapped about her knees as the shivers started up and down her back. She could still feel him.

She could feel Braeburn touching her.

Choking, she let her forehead touch her knees. Her eyes burned as she struggled to ignore the sensation of… of filth sweeping over her body. “It’s okay, Rarity. It’s o-okay. It’s over. Y-you stopped it.”

A gunshot echoed in her ears, a specter of pasts both far away and recent. She could hear Coco whimpering. And his hands. Braeburn’s hands. Panting’s hands. His breath on her neck. The stench of his proximity, the heartless desire in his eyes. She tried to press herself into the wood, to sink into darkness where nopony would find her, to hide from the lustful, ogling eyes.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. It’s okay.”

“Miss Belle?”

With a sound half-whimper, half-shout, she pushed against the gem crates and stared at the stallion watching her through the back of the wagon. “D-don’t touch me!”

“Easy! Easy.” Shining waved his hands in a calming motion, eyebrows raised as he leaned slightly backwards. “I just wanted to be sure you were okay.”

She watched him, watched his every little motion. The tiny pony in the back of her mind whispered dire warnings that he was about to move in on her, that she needed to grab her weapons. End him. End him before he tried anything!

But Shining didn’t take a step closer. He actually moved back a little. He appeared at a loss, his ears lowered and uncertainty in his gaze.

Still shivering, Rarity squeezed her knees and pressed her chin to them. She closed her eyes and sucked in a ragged breath. “He touched me.”

Silence. What might he be thinking?

He’s thinking of how best to ‘comfort’ you, of course.

Shining isn’t like that.

Isn’t he? Do you really think that?

He helped me.

So he could get his hands on you.

Because he’s a good stallion.

Haven’t you figured it out yet? There’s no such thing!

He’s been nothing but polite.

Because he thinks you’ll spread your legs if he acts that way.

I don’t know that.

Yes, I do!

“It won’t happen again.”

She opened her eyes and raised her head. “What?”

Shining met her gaze. Gone was his uncertainty. Now there was only determination, his posture stiff and his brow furrowed. “It won’t happen again. Me and the boys will be watching very closely. If anyone so much as looks at you funny, we’ll take them down.”

Brushing tears from her eyes, Rarity tried to take control of her emotions. They bubbled and roiled, and the shaking wouldn’t stop. Still, she forced herself to ask, “W-what will you do with them in the meantime?”

He sighed and rested his arms on the back of the wagon’s gate. She tensed at how much closer he was, and he promptly stood back up. “Sorry. We took their weapons, but we can’t just leave them here. We’ve still got cargo to deliver, and it’ll be a lot harder without them. So all we can do is watch them. Me and the boys already agreed to change our shifts around so that there’s always two of us watching at any given time.”

She had to admit, that did make her feel a little more comfortable. Uncurling from the ball she’d contorted herself into, she settled on her knees and tried to shake the jitters away. She could still… feel the phantom touches on her body, but did her best not to think on them. “What about the bandits? Can you hunt them and watch the traders at the same time?”

At that, his shoulders sagged. “No. Best we can do is stick together and hope they don’t come after us.”

Curious. “I thought you wanted to find them?”

“Not anymore.” He turned to gaze into the desert, raising his hand to block the sunlight. “Only five of us are armed, and the other half of this caravan is as likely to turn on us as the bandits. The situation’s just too risky. Oh.” He turned back to her with a smile. “We’re gonna have them move some of those boxes to the other wagons. Weapons will go in here.”

“In here?” She glanced at the already tightly packed wagon. “And where will I sleep?”

“That’s why we’re moving some boxes.”

Oh, so they were leaving the weapons in her hands. She had to admit, she liked that idea. She’d have her very own arsenal. Would Roma and her lackeys dare come after her for revenge under such circumstances? If she hid the guns so that it would take time for them to locate them, it would give Rarity plenty of time to act if she needed to.

She returned his smile. “Thank you. It’ll be nice, not having to worry about fools like Panting.”

“That was incredible, by the way. You handled him like a pro.” He crossed his arms and smirked. “Guess the Bulletproof Heart isn’t a fake after all.”

Rarity slumped in place, her brief moment of energy fading fast. “I hate that name. What gave me away?”

He traded his smile for an uncertain frown. “I read the papers. White unicorn mare, they said. Then you mentioned something about getting involved with Griffon slavers. Wasn’t hard to put the pieces together.”

With a hand to her necklace, she took a slow breath to ease the tension in her chest. “Does anypony else suspect?”

“I don’t know. Don’t think so.” He glanced around the side of the wagon, perhaps checking for eavesdroppers. “I won’t say anything, if that’s what you want. But I have to ask one question.” He waited for her to nod. “What are you trying to accomplish out here?”

Accomplish? She wasn’t trying to accomplish anything. Where had this question come from?

But then again, perhaps it made sense. The rumors about her appeared to be spreading like wildfire. Ponies thought she might be some kind of hero, as ridiculous as that idea was to her. Wouldn’t it fit that a pony like Shining – someone who knew about survival in the dangerous places of the world – would want to understand her goal? He might think she was in it for some asinine dream of glory.

Glory. There was nothing glorious about her life now. It was wrought with constant danger, what with random stallions trying to grope her or worse and crazy mares trying to kill her. How many times had she almost died since leaving Spurhoof? Too many, if she had a say in the matter. Somehow, she didn’t think she did.

At last meeting his gaze, she answered quietly. “I’m just trying to survive. Nothing more, nothing less.”

He said nothing for a time, merely studying her as if she were a sad specimen. At last, he turned away. “I hope that, someday, you’ll find something more than that to live for.”

When he’d gone, she leaned back against the boxes and tried to relax her tense body. “Me too.”

She was left alone for only a couple of seconds before a new, disconcerting thought reached her weary mind: for the first time ever, she’d acknowledged the title. Bulletproof Heart. She’d made no attempt to deny it. Did that mean that she’d come to accept it?

“Oh, Luna.” She pressed her hands to her face and groaned. “I’m being transformed into somepony else.”

She didn’t want to be the Bulletproof Heart! She would have to correct… No, there was nothing to correct. Shining wasn’t using the title loosely. He’d not said it again after the one time. He seemed to recognize her reluctance to adopt it. She wouldn’t lecture him for a crime he’d yet to commit.

But would he commit it in time?

Depression and worry sank into her once more. Already, she could feel Panting’s hand running down around her tail, and Braeburn’s groping her breast. Shuddering, she rubbed her necklace tightly and welcomed its cooling, calming effect on her mind.

She had no doubt that the old nightmares would be coming back tonight.

Author's Note:

I debated with myself for a very long time about whether I should write this one. A big part of me wanted to leave the information about the princesses alone so that it could be revealed in-story, but another part said the readers would appreciate the information. And I still intend to make the reveal in-story at some point so that anyone skipping the notes won’t need them in the end. But, ultimately, I feel like there’s more to gain by simply acknowledging the issue. So...

The World of Bulletproof Heart

The Princesses

One thousand years ago, Equestria was everything one might expect. Celestia and Luna ruled, the world was peaceful, and nopony expected anything was amiss. Then, as in canon, Discord showed up. Things went as expected, Celestia and Luna finding the Elements of Harmony and attempting to defeat Discord with them. But Discord wasn’t about to give them a chance to fire off that Rainbow of Doom, so when they first showed up he simply teleported them away. So separated from her sister, Princess Luna journeyed for weeks to get back to the scene. When she did she found the six Elements where they’d been left, but no Celestia.

Wielding the Elements, Luna confronted Discord and demanded to know where he’d sent Celestia. Discord gleefully admitted that Celestia had arrived before her, and he sent her away again. The second time he did it without bothering to consider where to send her; she might not even be on Equus anymore, for all he knew. Infuriated, Luna used the Elements on Discord, and he let her, believing she couldn’t possibly use them by herself. He was proven wrong, and thus was defeated.

Celestia did not return. Worse, with neither her nor Discord around to control it, the Sun began to descend upon Equus. With all her magical strength, Luna caught it and forced it to be still, but did not have the ability to push it away. The sheer effort required to control a celestial object to which she was not aligned took up all her concentration.

Luna tried to continue ruling Equestria in her sister’s absence for some time, but the strain of doing so while continuously preventing the Sun from falling proved too much. Realizing she could not rule and keep the world safe from her sister’s charge at the same time, Luna set up a new court to rule Equestria. After gradually fading from the political scene, she disappeared without warning and only a note left behind to explain her intentions.

The world has moved on. The Equestrian court faltered and broke amidst the chaos of a new, hotter world. Nations rose and fell. Equestria became a scattering of independent city states. But all along, the Sun and Moon have continued to turn, and the Sun remains at the same level, neither coming closer or moving farther away.

The princesses are gone. Where they’ve gone to is anypony’s guess. But the Church of Mother Night teaches that Luna still protects the world from fire and death. Someday, when Celestia at last returns to rein in her charge, the princesses will reclaim their rightful rule and bring back an age of peace and prosperity.