• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 4,639 Views, 418 Comments

Clockwork - 71NYL-5CR4TCH

  • ...
18
 418
 4,639

Fear

"So this is our purpose? Our meaning in this world? Simply to acknowledge others?" Twilight inquired, her curiosity had peaked to the words of this pony. To have such spent such little time together, yet to accrue so much, both emotion, and opinion.

"As I see it, yes, as I can find no other invariable meaning." I replied.

"I'd like to discuss more with you, if you don't mind..." Twilight enquired, "I'll just put the kettle on for some tea."

Twilight meandered into the kitchen, and I sat in the room he had dwelled for years, yet minutes. Soon she returned, levitating a pink frilly kettle and two matching tea cups. Slowly she poured the brown liquid into the china and levitated it to me, which I accepted.

"Any sugar?"

"No, thank you, I prefer mine without."

"Very well."

We sat, silent for a few minutes as Twilight sipped and silently pondered.

In the background an antique clock ticked rhythmically, echoing against the hard wood interior.

"I have more questions for you, Clockwork."

"Ask away," I reply.

"You speak of the inherent meaning of life itself, but what of that we feel within life? What of our emotions? Our dreams?"

"The concept still applies. All of our emotions have their opposites. We would not know of joy without sorrow, or dreams without failure."

"I see."

She sips her tea again, eyes briefly closing.

*Tick-tock*

"So what of fear?"

"Hm?"

"Well, we all feel fear. Whether it is rational or irrational is largely dependent, but it resides within us all. It only seems to weaken us, and without it, we would live in a fearless world, this seems ideal, does it not?"

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"Why not?"

I set down my tea. The necessity of fear, surely it exists for a reason? After all, everything has a reason, right?

*tick-tock*

"Twilight, when you kissed me, were you afraid?"

"I don't know about afraid, maybe nervous..."

"Not at all afraid? Not afraid of rejection or disgust?"

"Well...maybe a little..." Twilight paused, glancing down into her steaming tea, "but had I been fearless, I wouldn't have felt that way!"

"Exactly. You would have no fear of my rejection. It would mean nothing to you. It would be harmless. And what would that mean?"

"Well by that logic, that it didn't mean anything..." Twilight replied skeptically.

"Exactly. Fear lets us know what is precious, and drives us to not lose it, to fight to keep what little grasp we have."

"So then what made me kiss you?"

I meet her eyes.

*Tick-Tock*

"Courage."

"Then what would you say is the difference between fearlessness and courage?"

"Fearlessness is the absence of fear, its void. Courage is knowing fear, and acting in spite of it. You spoke that fear seems to weaken us, but I would argue that it makes us stronger. By overcoming that which we fear, we learn to better ourselves, to conquer."

"So you're saying fear is a necessary evil?"

"Not even that it is evil. But we must know our fear. It is there to protect us, to guard us, to warn us. However, we must learn to live in equilibrium with it, to know when it is needed, and when we must fight it. Fear is our partner, guiding us, yet sometimes, holding us back. It is up to us to know when it attempts to help, and when it attempts to deceive. We can never submit fully to our fears, because they will hold us in a room that is safe, yet lonely and dark. We must know it, and know it well, for sometimes a moment will come where the difference is unknown, and we must decide if we can trust our fear or not."

"How can we make that decision? Our fear, as you state, is a part of us, we'd be fighting with ourselves."

"Precisely. When you have come to this crossroads, you will know it, because courage is no longer an option. Now you must simply weigh two fears, as they will contradict the other."

"I don't understand...how can our fears be contradictory?" Twilight raised an eyebrow, her skepticism clearly rising.

*Tick-Tock*

"One will fear pain, the other will fear sorrow. This is when you must ask yourself which you fear more, and your decision will become clear." I supply.

"But when will these contradictions arise? When will our fears battle so fiercely?"

"They have for you before."

"When?"

"You are a wielder of an element of harmony, yes? One of the few that dared to challenge Nightmare Moon during her short reign?"

"Yes..."

"It took a lot of fear to fight that battle."

"You mean courage."

"No, I mean fear. You were afraid of Nightmare Moon, were you not? That she may hurt or even kill you?"

"Yes, of course. But I still fought anyway, I acted in spite of fear."

"No Twilight, in this case you were simply more afraid of something else."

"So I was more afraid of the sorrow. The sorrow of letting my teacher, my friends, everyone down?"

"Yes. Your fear of sorrow won. But this fear has a name...



Bravery."



"So bravery and courage fundamentally different?"

"They are used interchangeably, but incorrectly so. A firefighter who charges into a burning building to save a life is courageous. A mother who charges in to save her foal is brave. The firefighter has no fear of NOT charging into the building, or if he does it is very little. But the mother is terrified, terrified of the sorrow of losing her foal. This fear is far greater than pain, or even death, so she acts."

"So what would a fearless pony do?"

"They would watch the building burn. But nopony is truly fearless, they would be useless. No fear of failure means no motivation. No fear of death means no desire to live. Fear must exist, but in harmony."

*Tick-Tock*

"So the meaning of fear is..."

"To remind us...



to never be fearless,




only courageous,




or brave."

Author's Note:

So this chapter was clearly a little different from the others, as it included no gaps, and force-fed you some of my personal philosophical shenanigans. The story will likely continue these discussions for a few more chapters, but I promise it's going somewhere. The past chapters have been to give you an insight into Clockwork's soul, a confused young stallion. The next few chapters will allow you into his mind, an old, wise philosopher. If anypony has any topics they really want to see me tackle, feel free to throw them into the comments, and I'll try to make a chapter, or at least a snippet, of what Clockwork would make of them. Thanks!