• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 30,629 Views, 3,260 Comments

What Princesses Need - Aegis Shield



The Lunar Stallions kidnap Twilight and give her to Luna as a gift.

  • ...
134
 3,260
 30,629

Stallions

What Princesses Need
Part 17: Stallions

“What’s the big surprise, Dr. Psyche?” said a Lunar Stallion eagerly, his eyes a-glitter with childish glee.

Deep Psyche was leading the entire herd of twenty-three Lunar Stallions, walking backward and smiling warily. Luna walked in the rear to make sure there were no stragglers (she’d become very careful since Melancholy had been captured and recovered). She eyed her therapist with a wary eye, unsure of what to make of it all. A mere week and a half after their group therapy session, he’d suddenly popped in on Lunar Stallion nap time to rouse them all. Luna had been very cross, but when he’d come bearing juice boxes and the promise of a grand surprise—even she had been rather curious.

“Will we like the surprise?” piped another stallion as they rounded a corner. Servants made way for them, and guards stepped back. Luna went over the floor plan of the palace, trying to project where they were going. At their current course, they would end up in front of the—ah yes, there it was. The Royal Ballroom.

The brown stallion smiled, a twinkle in his eye. “The surprise is the best surprise you can possibly hope for.” He said, leaning and putting his hooves on the doors. The Lunar Stallions pressed together, their mouths open in anticipation. Candies?! Yugimon: the Gathering cards?! A visit from the Power Stallions?! They jittered energetically, breaking out into a rabble of slathering young excitement. Their hooves stomped eagerly.

Luna chuckled a little bit. This was something new. Deep Psyche had had such negative views of the Lunar Stallions so far, even calling them a… what had he said? 'A crutch for her own self-worth?' Pffft. She was the matron of what basically amounted to a royal orphanage! They needed her, and she was more than happy to give them a home and stimulating activity so that they grew up to be--!

Deep Psyche flung the doors open, and the dark alicorn gasped in horror.

Ponies-- hundreds of them—were there standing in pairs, looking eagerly at the doors that had just been pushed open. “Lunar Stallions!” the therapist shouted, turning with a flourish and a broad smile. His eyes flicked at Luna, but only for a moment. “I’ve brought for you,” he gestured widely, across the room of smiling couples. “Mommies and Daddies!” Princess Luna’s heart sank like a stone and her blood turned to ice. She went rigid, like a statue. The Lunar Stallions gasped as one, their pupils turning large and sparkly. Mommies and Daddies?! For them?! Wow-wwww! They dashed forward in a wild stampede of shouting and squealing, so bizarre to see because they looked like grown stallions in armor. But, everypony in the ballroom had been informed about their odd appearance. Merely taking off their helmets would reveal the true foal beneath the disguise.

“Wh… wha… how…?” Luna gaped at the truly awesome scene before them. The ballroom had been decorated with streamers, tables lined with food, toys and games strewn everywhere… it was a adoption event! “So many… how…?” The Princess couldn’t bring herself to string a sentence together.

“I went digging into the backlog of Canterlot’s adoption agency files.” Deep Psyche stood next to her, watching the Lunar Stallions frolic out amongst the eager couples that wanted foals so badly. They disappeared into the throng of love and excited talking, going to play games or eat food or other activities. Luna looked over at her therapist, mouth agape and pupils tiny. “Turns out there’s a lot of families in and around Canterlot looking to adopt. The only difficulty is being able to get through the system and afford such things. It’s not easy, and orphaned foals are snapped up pretty fast.”

“H… how many…?” Luna said, peering out at the vast crowd. She spotted one Lunar stallion being fussed over by a dumpy mare with a spice cake on her flank. While he fed himself she wiped his face with affection, giggling and easing his helm off. He shrank into a little foal but hardly noticed, too busy being adorable and stuffing his face while the adults fussed over him. He liked being fussed over and paid attention to.

“One hundred and fifty couples, your Majesty.” Deep Psyche said slowly. “From Canterlot, Apploosia, Manehatten, and even Las Pegasus.”

“How could you have possibly orchestrated all this?!” Luna demanded in disbelief, looking around at all the activities and grandeur. “The money this must’ve cost! The traveling and resources--!”

“--Are nothing when you want a foal badly enough.” Deep Psyche said just a little bit scoldingly. “Look around, Princess.” He gestured while they stayed in the doorway. “Barren mares. Infertile stallions. Families that just want to get bigger. Older couples that can’t have anymore foals. Same sex couples that can’t have little ones without aide like this.” He smiled gently, but his smile fell when he saw the look of horror on Luna’s face. “What’s the matter, Princess?” he asked, though his tone said he already knew. “Don’t you want them all to get adopted?” His lids rose just a little, and for a split second she thought she saw some sort of sick satisfaction in his face.

Off to one side, a Lunar Stallion who’s helm had been removed was hoof-painting with a pair of mares. They were housepainters themselves. He laughed innocently. He liked all the colors and how they mixed together to make more colors! They hoof-painted with him, chatting animatedly and telling him what a handsome little thing he was. He smiled coltishly, ears turning back. He thought they smelled nice, he told them. They laughed.

“I… I…” Luna stared around, completely overwhelmed. She’d grown used to letting one Lunar Stallion go here and there, but ALL of them?! It turned her blood cold with terror. Her chest rose and fell, and for a moment he thought she was hyperventilating. “How did all this happen?” she said again, unable to move from where she stood.

Over by a window, another un-helmed Lunar Stallion was being told all about the birds in the trees in the Royal Gardens. He looked up at the stallion talking to him with awe. Was it true? Birds flew way far away to the south when it got cold? Wow! He peered through the binoculars he’d been given, out the window and to the trees outside. Birds were singing and flapping around animatedly. Neato! He loved birds, and all sorts of flying things.

“They deserve families, I think.” Deep Psyche said with a kind smile, nodding and pushing a ball back to a little colt when it struck his hoof. Luna looked over at him worriedly. “And you deserve some proper guards.” The glass lenses of his spectacles flashed rather ominously as he flicked his gaze over at her. His brow lowered into a serious expression. Luna gaped at him. So that’s what this was all about. He was getting rid of the Lunar Stallions! Right out from under her!

“You POMPUS, UNBELIEVABLE--!” The Princess was working up to her wrathful Royal Canterlot voice, when she saw a Lunar Stallion standing before her bashfully. It was Panzer Hoof, the biggest and oldest Lunar Stallion. She looked at him, startled by his forlorn expression. “Uh?” was all Luna managed to get out.

“Princess…” he mewled a little, ears down. There was a stallion to his left (ironically smaller than him), and a mare to his right. They were all smiles, but he looked very upset. “I really want a mommy and daddy,” Panzer said in a small, innocent voice. Truth be told he was eye to eye with Luna in height, but he felt much smaller. “But I don’t wanna leave you behind either.” he said, tears going down his cheeks. Luna’s heart welled up in agony and her throat constricted. “I-is it okay for me to get a mommy and daddy?” he said softly, so she could barely hear him. His massive, muscled frame hiccuped in guilty distress. “I-I won’t if you don’t w-want me to…” he said, looking at the floor.

Dear Faust and all the heavens, he wanted her permission. Luna’s throat pulled at her harder, and her teeth clenched as her brow knitted in distress. The dark alicorn fought down a ragged sob. She turned her head to one side, her sparkly mane flowing. “G-go with them.” She said in a strained voice. “Yes, go.” Dr. Psyche stayed silent the entire time, watching Luna closely.

Panzer Hoof’s face exploded with joy and he gave a great cry, tackling the stallion next to him in a hug. The pony grunted when he hit the floor, pressed down by giant armored stallion. The mare moved quickly to get the helmet off, and he shrank down into a little colt. The new family embraced, and Panzer wuzzled into the mare’s breast while she cooed over him. Luna felt ill, very ill. She couldn't breathe.

And so it went that way for several hours. There were only twenty-three Lunar Stallions, and a hundred and fifty eager pony couples wanting foals. Needless to say, by the end of it all there were no Lunar Stallions left, just a pile of empty armor and magic helmets.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Dr. Psyche had let Luna flee when it had all become too much for her. There were more than enough adoption agency staff standing by to help the adopting part of it all go smoothly. His master stroke had taken not only letters written by Celestia’s hoof, but extraordinary cooperation on behalf of Canterlot’s foal adoption agency, the local mailing agency, and so many. He couldn’t fathom the number of ponies he’d included to make this happen. Ten days. All it had taken was ten days to rip Luna’s children out from under her. He felt a little sick, but he was steady in his resolve. It had to be done. Luna had to be made well. The Lunar Stallions were a crutch, and she had no broken legs to stand on.

He walked quietly down the hallway, past to his palace apartment. He didn’t dare go to find Luna, and even knew to steer clear of Celestia at this point. In her heart of hearts the solar mare knew it had to be done for Luna to heal. Surrounding herself with children to love her instead of a great mix of ponies was not only unhealthy, but would damage the foals as well. She couldn’t allow her sister to poison the little ones for her own peace of mind. She’d written those royal letters with a heavy hoof, knowing Luna would be devastated. All of those eager ponies wanting foals had come rushing at her royal summons.

The brown stallion finally made it to his office, barely able to hold himself together. He’d grown to love the strange gaggle of colts in disguise over time as well, and he could only imagine what their absence would do to his patient. But, it was another bandage that needed to be ripped off. Another laceration that needed to be drained of its infection. Though she loved them dearly, they were keeping her in her own sick little fantasy. Closing the door behind him, Dr. Psyche went to his desk and flopped down with a depressed sigh. He took off his glasses, tossing them onto the desk. Pinching the bridge of his muzzle and rubbing his tired eyes, he heaved a sigh and leaned back in his chair. Crackle.

The doctor turned in his seat, feeling around behind himself. He pulled out a large piece of paper. When had this been put here? He unfolded it twice and winced. It was a picture, a crayon drawing made by Melancholy, according to the little signature at the bottom. ‘We Love Docter Cycko’ it said in bright red crayon. The picture showed a bunch of stick ponies, all purple, a big dark blue one and a medium-sized brown one. Himself and Luna, no doubt. Deep Psyche felt an ache behind his eyes, a warm and muddy ache. Tears? No. No, he was a professional. He couldn’t. He wouldn’t. He turned the picture over, face down on his desk. When had Melancholy snuck into his office…? He felt a slick, hot tear slide down his cheek and off his chin, dotting the back of the little masterpiece. “D—D—duhhh---Dammit…” he stuttered a little, as he sometimes did when he was upset. He tried to soothe himself, rubbing at his eyes.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Luna wept wildly into her pillows, having locked herself in her room. Gone. They were all gone. Every last one of them. Her children! Her precious Lunar Stallions! Another sob wracked her and she buried her face in the layers and layers of thick blankets and sheets.

A cool, soothing hoof reached across her back between her shoulderblades. Luna whipped about, tears and snot going down her face. “Oh Luna, there there…” Celestia whispered, having slipped into her room unnoticed. Princess Luna looked up at her solar counterpart, sniffling loudly. Wordless, she flung herself into Celestia’s embrace and welcomed her enveloping wings. Anything to hide from the world. She hiccuped, her whole body convulsing with hot, sobbing agony.

“M-my foals!” Luna wept. “M-my little poniee-hee-heeee’s!” She flung her arms around her sister’s middle, and Celestia stroked her kindly. Hiding in the shadow of her sister’s wingspan, she whimpered for hours while the older mare petted her and crooned over her. Well into the night she cried, feeling abandoned. All of her little ponies had gone away from her, leaving her all alone.

“Shhhh-sh-sh-shhh…” Celestia ran a smooth-as-feather’s brush through Luna’s mane, gently tending to her. After her sister had cried herself out, she’d taken to lying on her side and sniffling. Exhausted, she had no more sobs to give and had quieted. She shook like a leaf. “They all have families now, Luna.” The white alicorn whispered comfortingly. “Surely you wouldn’t deny them that happiness?” she whispered. Luna stubbornly refused to answer, pressing her lips hard together. “I’m…” Celestia wondered if it was the right thing to say, but then said it anyway. “I’m proud of you, Luna.” She said in an intimate whisper. “Letting go is very hard, I know… I know…” her voice was a quiet wisp, a soothing balm against the hot agony of the abandoned matron.

Luna looked up at her with bloodshot eyes, working her mouth and swollen tongue a little. Celestia conjured a cup and jug of water for her. The Princess drank greedily, gasping as she almost drown herself in the long drink she’d taken. She let the cup fall into the blankets, spilling its last few drops into the bedspread. She let Celestia pet her some more, running the brush through her mane and preening her wings for a bit. Few words were spoken.

When she was too exhausted to do anything else, Luna fell asleep in Celestia’s quiet embrace, head against sister’s cutie mark like a pillow. She fretted quietly, her face damp from the many, many tears. They were gone, all gone. Her little Lunar Stallions. Luna hid her face under one of her wings, trying to blot out the cruel world.



End of Part 17