• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 22,793 Views, 4,864 Comments

Off The Mark - Goldfur



Mark Wells only bought an old mirror, so why did he now have hooves, wings and green fur? And where was he? Maybe this great and powerful princess could tell him?

  • ...
114
 4,864
 22,793

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45 - Court Affairs

As much as the commotion caused by Trixie’s announcement of our engagement annoyed me, it proved a useful distraction from the cause of our absence for the past week. A brief glib answer was all that my fiancée gave before firmly turning the subject to the business at hoof. “Confidential Royal Duties” seemed to cover a lot of territory. The one noble who tried to get more details out of us not only failed to get through Trixie’s obfuscation, she also forfeited her audience with the Princess and was required to go to the back of the queue and make another appointment. Not everypony was kept out of the loop, though. Shining Armor had started more military brainstorming sessions based on what Twilight and I had learned during our trips through multiple worlds. Likewise, Twilight's research teams were jump-started by a brand new set of possibilities opened up by our confidential trip report.

Of course, it would have been simpler just to explain to those assembled in court that we were trying to catch a criminal who had been attempting to change history for her own benefit, but that would have needlessly panicked ponies. However, Twilight and Cadance insisted that knowledge of Starlight Glimmer’s actions be suppressed so that there would be no prejudice against her. That went against my instincts, of course, because I was already quite happy to throw her in a cell and lose the key. The princesses were a lot more ready to forgive though and were looking for ways to redeem the rogue unicorn. Even Trixie didn’t put up much of an objection to Twilight when the alicorn declared that she wanted to show Starlight the true path to friendship. We did agree to put off the upcoming trial for at least a couple of weeks. Starlight Glimmer was a problem that would keep. Others needed more immediate attention.


“…While I understand you must be overwhelmed with concern for the young alicorn’s wellbeing, I can assure you that Celestia’s School is by far the best place for her. Our staff is trained for all eventualities, far more than any incompetent earth pony teacher can provide. Our institution is the best for a reason, Miss Sparkle. Frankly, it would be an insult for Miss Nyx to be considered for any other academy.”

Twilight had invited the Headmaster of Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns to her private office to discuss Nyx’s future before her public unveiling. I was otherwise occupied by examining a CD player gifted to us by Sunset Shimmer.

Twilight kept her expression perfectly neutral. “Thank you for coming over to discuss Nyx’s further education, Headmaster Nexus. You have answered my questions fully and I will give your recommendation due consideration.”

The dark gray unicorn blinked and turned to me with an ingratiating smile. “Sir Wells, surely you see the necessity of Equestria’s only alicorn foal attending my institution? You do comprehend that it is the only logical choice? Surely you can appeal—”

I shook my head. “Don’t mind me, Headmaster. I am here on separate business.” Currently, I was trying to figure out a workable method for pony hooves to manipulate the tiny buttons on the appliance.

Spell Nexus pursed his lips for a moment, then gave a fractional bow to Twilight. “Of course, Your Highness. I am delighted to make time for you and your concerns. If you will excuse me, I have been away from my duties for too long.”

As he headed for the door, Twilight stopped him with a question. “Oh, and before I forget, did you like the photo I sent you?”

He stopped and paused just a little too long. He turned around to face her. “Beg pardon?”

Twilight smiled in a way that reminded me of Trixie on a bad day. “You know. The photo of Nyx I had dropped off at your house the other day. The one I had taken from outside the castle through one of the ground floor windows.”

His head lifted slightly. “Ah! No, I’m afraid my servants are not very competent. I was not made aware of any such photo. Truly, I will have to find the rascal who would lose a letter bearing your personal seal. I promise this indignity will not stand, Your Highness.” His smug grin returned.

“Oh, no. The photo was not delivered under my personal seal. Simply a plain envelope dropped off in the most discrete manner possible. Although the paper the photo was printed on was quite unusual. Specially formulated to give off temporal magic but only after it has been teleported. Not the sort of thing anypony making a magical scan would think to look for, I’m sure you would agree.”

I kept an eye on the wary unicorn as Twilight pulled out a scroll from her desk. “Tell me, Headmaster. Do any of these names sound familiar? Gray Gale, Night Wind, Red Cleaver, Stonewall, Jump Spring, Autumn Meadow, Garrote Wire, Endless Night…”

The Headmaster’s horn glowed then guttered out with a few sparks. Twilight tipped the entire desk out of the way with a kick of her hooves (away from me, fortunately). Now revealed was a large slab of granite suffused with veins of gray rock. The desk crashed against the wall as she continued to read.

“… Dead Clover, Strident Wings, Sarsaparilla, Autumn Glow, and three other ponies that I don’t yet have the names of. You see, the Night Guard Special Task Force injected tracer dust into the room where you were meeting. Either not enough got on those ponies’ cloaks, or they just haven’t been identified yet. Would you care to help?”

The unicorn took a step backwards. “I don’t know what you are talking about. I don’t know any of those ponies.”

Twilight waved a forehoof. “Of course not. And I’m sure none of them would even dream of implicating you when told they are facing life imprisonment for attempting to bring back Nightmare Moon. Since the tracer dust is on your cloak as well, and they all know your voice…” She pointed to the microcassette tape recorder as I took it down from the shelf nearest the stallion. “…then it is just a matter of process of elimination to determine who their leader is.”

She gave me a nod and I rewound the tape for a bit and then hit ‘Play’. While a bit tinny, Spell Nexus’ voice and especially his condescending way of speaking was still very identifiable. “…Highness. I am delighted to make time for you and your concerns.”

I hit the stop button and looked up. “Amazing technology. Doesn’t rely on any magical components.”

Twilight smiled. “Your co-conspirators are being rounded up as we speak. They will each be told that their only chance to save themselves from banishment to the moon for a thousand years—”

“My idea, actually,” I said.

Twilight gave me a disapproving glance and continued, “… will be to identify you by voice. Each will be held in isolation and interrogated separately. They will be told that a few others have already pointed their hoof at you, whether that is true or not. How much faith do you have in the ability of every single one of them to not single you out as their leader? And if that isn’t enough, Mark can…” She looked at me. “What was that word?”

“Splice,” I replied.

“Ah, yes. Mark can ‘splice’ together different words from the long-winded selection you have provided today. We can make a credible recording of any words you have said today in whatever order we require.” She stood up slowly. “Now then, would you like us to record your confession now, or do you really want to bother Knight of the Realm Mark Wells with all of that extra work?”

The Headmaster licked his lips. His eyes jumped between Twilight and myself, eventually stopping on the tape player I held in both hooves. He jumped forward…

… only to be intercepted by a leaping Twilight Sparkle. Specifically, a Twilight Sparkle who had earth pony strength, months of hoof-to-hoof combat training, was very angry, and doubtless felt like she was defending her child. I definitely saw a different side to the purple alicorn that day. Merging with the other Twilight Sparkle may have affected her more than I had realized.

Once all the thumping and screaming was done, I asked, “Feeling better?”

“No,” said Twilight between huffs to catch her breath. “Not until every one of those… ponies are locked up. I don’t want the Special Task Force put on any other duties until the last of that group is found.”

“No argument from me,” I replied as I locked a nullstone horn ring on Nexus.

Twilight glared at me for a moment, then marched to the door, giving it the pre-arranged signal of three quick knocks. It opened to reveal her personal guards. Twilight barked out, “Headmaster Nexus attempted to assault Mark Wells. I have subdued him. Further charges against him will be forthcoming. Take him to the high-security wing of the infirmary after locking a second nullstone band on his horn. Am I perfectly clear?”

Both guards snapped off a salute and chorused, “Yes, Your Highness!”

“Good.” Twilight stormed down the corridor and I had to use my wings to keep up with her.

“Where are you off to now?”

“Sparring practice. See if you can get Crimson Boulder to join me in the training yards. I need to blow off some steam without hurting anypony.”

“Will do.” I flew off to put away the tape recorder and find the earth pony guardsman. I made a mental note to tell him to wear extra padding.


That Friday, Day Court proceeded much as any other time, although we were still trying to pick up the pace a little to make up for the delay. The real fun would start in the afternoon session when it was Twilight’s turn to take the throne. When recess was called for the lunch break, Trixie and I headed to the dining room where we met Twilight and a disguised but extremely nervous changeling. Thorax was going to be presented to the court this afternoon as a representative of his race with a message that not all changelings were out to conquer Equestria. That was going to be a formidable task and I didn’t envy either him or Twilight to sell it. That’s why they weren’t even going to hint at the fact that they were engaged to be married yet.

Oh, yeah. The bug-pony finally got up the nerve to propose that night at Twilight’s castle. I’d had to give him another nudge after dinner, and he’d insisted on talking to Twilight in private in the next room, but none of us failed to hear through the wall when an ecstatic Twilight started shouting, “Yes! Yes! Yes!” Careful Twi – dirty minds might think you were up to something else entirely! Anyway, a very excited alicorn and a furiously blushing changeling (Carapaces can blush? Who knew?) came back to the dining room to announce their engagement. Shining Armor looked ready to explode before I reminded the unicorn about his happy marriage to Chrysalis in another timeline. He deflated rapidly after that. Cadance reacted just as you’d expect the Alicorn of Love would do and hugged both Twilight and her future brother-in-law. She saw only their love and not his species.

The two were going to need all the support they could get. The vast majority of ponies only knew of changelings through the invasion of Canterlot. We had subsequently learned from our trips through the alternate worlds that our Equestria likely had several other hives that had never caused problems. Thanks to Thorax, we understood that even some of Chrysalis’ drones were puzzled by their queen’s actions. However, those facts had to stand up against the tide of personal experience. It was going to be a bumpy ride. Until then, their engagement was a state secret to be revealed when it was strategically advantageous. To the public at large, it would seem like a political marriage to bring peace between our species. They didn’t have to know the depth of their true feelings.

Trixie and Cadance accompanied Twilight to her afternoon session of Day Court to give the alicorn moral support and to emphasize the official nature of the announcement. Thorax remained in disguise as a grey-coated unicorn until the moment that he would be revealed. Shining and I stood with him next to the dais with our personal guards just in case of trouble. Both the nobles and the commoners realized that something unusual was happening and there was a loud buzz of speculation until the Sergeant-at-Arms called for order. They were in for a little surprise though.

Twilight stood in front of the throne and spread her wings. Dressed in her full regalia, she made quite an impression, as was intended. She gave everypony a benevolent smile and then addressed the audience. “My beloved subjects – much has happened this past week, some of which cannot be revealed yet for reasons of Equestrian state security. However, my co-ruler and I wish to announce some significant events that have come about as a consequence. While I cannot be more specific at this time, I can say that we have been dealing with a problem that affected not only our world but also those of alternate universes. We learned much during that time, some of which will be used to add to the security of our nation, some that will enhance everypony’s lives, and some that have deep meaning to me personally.”

There was a loud murmur as the audience members reacted to this news and Twilight allowed them a brief time to quiet down again.

“One of the most fascinating and sometimes dangerous things that we discovered was how events may have played out if just one small change had happened. Some were very bad, but others were equally as good. Some were mixed blessings, but as a consequence of one of them, someone has come into my life to bring me joy and happiness.” She turned towards where I was standing, but not to look at Thorax but at the black-coated filly that stood by my side. “Lords and Ladies, mares and gentlecolts, may I present to you my adopted daughter, Nyx Sparkle.”

With a grin, Nyx threw off her CMC cloak which had been hiding her wings and flew up to the dais to join her foster mother. She wore her enchanted glasses that disguised her slit pupils, but the audience was focused on the fact that they were looking at an alicorn filly. There were shocked expressions among the ponies, but just as many delighted ones. The irrepressible smile that Nyx was giving everypony certainly helped to sway the feelings of many of them.

Twilight continued, “As you can see, Nyx is an alicorn and that, combined with the fact that she is my daughter, makes her a princess and a future ruler of Equestria. Please give her a warm welcome to Canterlot.”

Nyx waved ferociously. “Hi, everypony!”

Only about half the audience started clapping their hooves and stomping the floor at first until the nobles saw which way the wind was blowing and joined in. Twilight let it go on until it died down naturally.

“Thank you, everypony. Nyx will be living in my castle in Ponyville where she can play and learn with foals of her own age, but you will be seeing her here on occasion as she studies what it means to be a Princess of Equestria. I know you must be curious about her and I assure you that we will tell the full story behind her and the other events of the past week in due time. But for now, my daughter has some lessons to attend.”

“Awwww!” Nyx complained, causing several ponies to chuckle in sympathy.

Raven Inkwell accompanied Nyx out of the throne room and to the private areas of the castle. As the audience settled down, Twilight’s expression grew serious. It was time to roll the dice and present some assumptions as facts.

“A couple of years back, many of you experienced the horror of the invasion of Canterlot by Queen Chrysalis and her changeling horde. Since then, the royal court has been striving to develop ways to defend against their kind and learn more about them. To our surprise, we discovered that what we thought we knew about changelings was shockingly incomplete and extremely biased due to that one event. One of the things that we learned during this past week is how prevalent their kind is. It turns out that there are several hives within the borders of Equestria, all of which have been coexisting with ponies since this nation was established. The fact that they choose to do so secretly only made Chrysalis’ actions more shocking when we first learned about the other hives. The truth is – the vast majority of the changeling race desires nothing but peaceful relationships between them and us and the other queens were horrified by Chrysalis’ attempt to seize power. She is an aberration and an enemy of Equestria, but even some of the drones that served her were unhappy with her actions. As such, it is the duty of Princess Trixie and myself to ensure not only the protection of our subjects from this mad queen but to also promote peaceful relationships between us and the other hives in Equestria. To this end, a representative of one of their kind has begun working with me to learn more about how we can achieve these goals. Thorax – will you please join me now?”

I saw Thorax swallow nervously before nodding and making his way up the dais to join Twilight. He shuffled his hooves awkwardly as everypony stared at him. Twilight quietly reassured him with a smile before she turned back to the murmuring audience.

“Lords and Ladies, mares and gentlecolts, I wish to present Thorax, ambassador for the changelings.”

Ambassador was a title that we had chosen to give him even though refugee was a more apt description. We couldn’t afford to give ponies the idea that he was acting on his own even if it was for our benefit. Everypony needed the comforting perception that there were formal relations in place. Now if only Thorax didn’t faint from stage fright!

“Thorax, please show your true form.”

The bug-pony nodded and green magic fire enveloped his body to reveal his black carapace, blue wing casings, and sparkling gossamer wings. There was a hush as the audience took in the sight. Then he spoke up, a slight tremor in his voice. “Thank you, Princess Twilight. I am pleased to act on the behalf of the changeling race and assure you of the peaceful intentions of the majority of our kind. Equestria has had enemies attack it in the past and has come out the stronger for it. Just as the griffon kingdom once tried to conquer this nation but now is a staunch ally, I hope that the same will soon be said of our kind. We recognize that Queen Chrysalis and her followers remain a threat and we will be working to ameliorate that problem. However, in the meantime, we wish to assure you that while there may be changelings among you, they are not your enemies. In fact, they may even be your best friend.”

There was a smattering of applause as Thorax concluded his speech and stepped back to let Twilight take center stage once again. She was about to speak but was beaten to the punch.

Are you bucking kidding me?!” somepony yelled.

Twilight frowned. “Do you have a problem, my little pony?”

A maroon unicorn stallion pushed forward through the crowd. “Yes, I have a problem. I have a great big problem with playing nice with bugs that killed my best friend!”

Twilight bowed her head and sighed. “I am sorry for your loss, but do you think that you’re the only pony to suffer so? While my best friends didn’t die, Chrysalis had every intention of executing them and me, not to mention Celestia herself. There were castle staff members whom I had known since I was a foal who were not so lucky. There are few ponies among us who did not suffer some kind of loss or injury. The point of this outreach to the changelings is that only one queen and her followers were to blame for those atrocities and we would be as bad as them if we assigned blame to the innocent.”

“That doesn’t stop me from reliving his death in my nightmares every night!”

“Then I would suggest that you seek out a mental health counsellor. The crown continues to pay for all counselling expenses for issues stemming from the changeling invasion. My duty is to do what is best for all of Equestria, and if a formal peaceful relationship can be made, then I will do whatever it takes to achieve it. Princess Celestia spent over a millennium working to bring peace between the three tribes at first, then with other nations, and to deal with special threats in the most humane way possible. I have sworn to follow her example and will only resort to violence when all else has failed. Friendship is Equestria’s most powerful magic, and as Princess of Friendship and the Bearer of the Element of Magic, I promise that I will do my best to prevent you from ever having to witness that horror again.”

The unicorn looked set to argue further, but Cadance approached him, saying, “I would like to help you with your grief. Will you come with me so that we can talk?”

The stallion hesitated then nodded. Cadance put a wing around him and gently guided him out of the throne room.

Twilight addressed the crowd once more. “I recognize that this isn’t going to be easy, but then again, making peace with former enemies has never been simple. It will take time and effort on both sides, but today we start. With your support, we can make this work. Thank you, Ambassador Thorax for coming here today.”

“You’re welcome, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Thorax replied formally.

The alicorn looked towards two of her personal guards. “Please escort the ambassador to his room.”

The guards saluted and Thorax stepped down from the dais to join them. They flanked him as they left the throne room. Once they were in private, I knew he would take up a new disguise and be allowed to return by the guards who knew his real relationship with Twilight. Sure enough, it wasn’t long before a red unicorn mare – an alter ego Thorax had used during the Season – quietly joined me. The changeling had every intention of spending the whole session with his fiancée to watch how she worked and see if other problems arose as a consequence of their announcement.

As it happened, most of the rest of the session was normal business. We all expected that would change in the following days as both the nobles and the commoners assessed and responded to this extraordinary venture. The session closed after dealing with a significant portion of the backlog, and Twilight sighed with relief. As the doors closed to the last of the attendees, one of the Royal Guards by the dais abruptly left his post to stand in front of the throne.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle – I humbly request an audience!”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “This is most unusual, Sergeant Sterling. I take it you have a very good reason?”

“I do, Your Highness.”

“Then proceed.”

The unicorn Guard removed his helmet and then was engulfed in red magic flame, revealing a changeling with red-tinted chitin underneath his armor. The other Guards, Penny, and I came to full alert, but thankfully no one made an aggressive move. While I felt Trixie tense up beside me, we had anticipated this possibility. Still, the tension in the room could not have been any higher.

“Oh, wow! I wanna play ‘Hide and Seek’ with you! You’re good!”

Everyone in the room turned to look behind me where a grinning Nyx had entered unobserved. Trixie did a rather poor job of hiding her laughter. An apologetic Raven Inkwell trotted up behind the young filly, only to come up short with a gasp when she saw who was standing in front of the throne. Her clipboard and quill appeared in her hooves and she looked pleadingly up at Princess Twilight.

The purple alicorn sighed. “Nyx, you may stay if you promise not to speak or do anything else to disrupt the court.”

Nyx opened her mouth to say something, caught herself, and settled for just nodding with a happy smile. Smart girl.

Everypony’s attention returned to the changeling in front of the throne. Sterling bowed and said, “On behalf of Queen Carpacia, I bring greetings from the Red Hive. Since the events of the Canterlot invasion, my queen has had us on the alert for anything that may affect her subjects. As head of operations for the Canterlot group, I have been authorized to make contact with the diarchy if circumstances dictate it. Your intention to start talks with the Hives has necessitated that I reveal myself to you in order to facilitate negotiations.”

“I see,” Twilight replied. “How long have you been a Royal Guard, may I ask?”

“Thirteen years, Your Highness.”

The alicorn nodded thoughtfully. “Thirteen years in the elite military with enough experience and capability to reach the rank of sergeant but not proceed to officer class – a very ordinary and inconspicuous pony who always had access to the castle and the princesses. Quite the ideal infiltrator, wouldn’t you say?”

The changeling nodded. “Your assessment is correct, ma’am.”

“How is it that the changeling detection spells didn’t spot you?”

“They are too specific, Princess. They are attuned to the crystal changelings but miss us.”

“I see. I had not realized that there might be such a significant difference between your hives. I look forward to learning more.” Twilight grinned. “Sergeant Sterling, please pass on my compliments to Queen Carpacia and my request for a summit meeting at her earliest convenience.”

Sterling saluted and replied, “At once, Your Highness.” He resumed his unicorn disguise and replaced his helmet, but as he turned to leave, Trixie spoke up.

“Sergeant Sterling!”

The changeling halted and turned to face my fiancée. “Yes, Princess Trixie?”

“Are you or are you not a Royal Guard?”

His body stiffened as he automatically stood at attention. Still, I could hear the confusion in his voice when he replied, “I am, Your Highness.”

“Has your shift ended?”

“Not yet, ma’am.”

“Then resume your post. When you go off duty, report to the Captain of the Guard. Inform him that the Diarchs have assigned you to a special mission which will require your temporary absence.”

“You wish me to continue in my role here as a Royal Guard despite now knowing what I am?”

“The Great and Wise Trixie would be a hypocrite if she did otherwise. We realize that you have been a loyal Guard in the past and have no reason to doubt that you will remain so in the future.”

Sterling bowed deeply. “Thank you, Princess. I will do my best to justify your faith in me.” He then resumed his post.

I recognized that my fiancée had walked a very fine line. Twilight had not formally requested that Sterling leave immediately so Trixie’s orders did not directly contradict those of the presiding diarch. “Nice one, Trixie,” I murmured to her.

She gave me a smug look. “Trixie knows how to play the audience.”

Twilight spoke up. “As Sergeant Sterling will be remaining as a Royal Guard, I am commanding that no pony reveal his true nature to anyone outside of this room and he be treated no differently on penalty of incurring our royal displeasure. Am I understood?” Her voice had an unusual amount of steel in it.

The other Royal Guards snapped a salute and replied in unison, “Yes, Your Highness.”

“Excellent.” Then she gave everyone a more relaxed smile. “Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have worked up quite an appetite. Time for dinner and to find out what else my daughter has been up to this afternoon.” That was met with more looks Nyx’s way and quite a few chuckles.

Thorax, Trixie, and I joined Twilight as we headed out with Nyx bounding up behind and Raven hustling after her. It would be interesting to find out Nyx’s impressions of her mother’s workplace. At least we had already begun to deal with one thing that posed a potential threat to her.


When I woke up in Trixie’s bedroom, she had already gotten up and left to start her day. Everypony had just finished a hectic week of catching up on all of Trixie’s and Twilight’s shared responsibilities and it was finally time for a relaxing Saturday. Well, as relaxed as a Saturday could be with a Royal Wedding planned for the following weekend. Still, that was a problem for the afternoon. Trixie and I had arranged our schedules to spend some quality time with each other, at least for the morning. I had to wonder why she had left for breakfast without me.

After freshening up, I headed for Trixie’s sunroom, only to hear the laughter of two delighted mares coming from within. That was strange because Twilight had flown off to Ponyville at the conclusion of her afternoon session and it didn’t sound like her anyway. I nodded to the four guards and stepped into the room, only to stop in my tracks. Trixie was having morning tea and pastries with Starlight Glimmer, and they were getting along like nobody’s business. A quick check showed that at least Starlight’s two horn rings were still in place.

Trixie recovered from her laughter first. “And then… and then Princess Luna told Remark Dumbbells ‘Don’t you think it’s time to wake up?’.”

The pink mare held onto her sides while she convulsed with laughter, spilling some of her tea in the process. “Oh… oh, my goodness, Trixie!” Tears were streaming down her cheeks. Apparently, the hilarity of laughing at my expense had been going on for some time. My morning-without-coffee-yet frown turned into a scowl.

My fiancée noticed me and her face brightened even further. “Oh, Dowser! What wonderful timing! We’re just about to get to the good part.”

I growled, sharing my angry look between both mares equally. “Why don’t you just give her a demonstration, since you two are getting along so well?”

Trixie wasn’t taken aback at all by my brusqueness, instead, getting to her hooves and giving me a loving kiss, followed by her warm embrace. I felt some of my tension ease. “I didn’t know you were granting a private audience with the accused,” I grumbled.

“Her name is Starlight Glimmer, dear. I just thought it proper to get to know her a bit better. She has a fascinating past, as it turns out. The two of us have quite a bit in common, which I certainly didn’t expect.”

“And your budding friendship with this master manipulator isn’t going to color your judgment in the least, is it?”

Trixie gave me one more squeeze and pulled back to look in my eyes. She actually tut-tutted me! “Dear, you know I always have the needs of Equestria foremost in my mind when it comes to my little ponies.”

Starlight spoke up. “I see why you like him so much. He’s extremely practical and keeps you on an even keel, doesn’t he?” She then sipped her tea, looking entirely too relaxed for my liking. I couldn’t think of a good response to the sincere compliment.

My fiancée gave me a peck on the cheek before replying to her guest. “Now that I think of it, before the trial, there is one task I need you to complete, Starlight.”

“Of course. What would that be, Trixie?”

I was still looking at Starlight when I heard Trixie’s next words. “You will need to travel by Royal Pegasus Carriage to Our Town and apologize to the citizens there.” The saucer and cup rattled as the pink unicorn’s face lost all of its composure. If Starlight had been a stage assistant and showmare Trixie had just asked her to stand in front of a large wooden sheet with the outline of a pony on it, this was the facial expression I would have expected. In fact, I bet Starlight would have preferred that job right now, even if I had shared my knowledge of Trixie’s questionable aim with throwing knives.

Trixie continued. “I’ve arranged for Princess Twilight to accompany you. She will ensure your safety and report back regarding your conduct and theirs.”

With shaking hooves, Starlight Glimmer placed her tea back on the tray. “Y-y-yes, Your Highness. I-I’m ready now if that is what you would like.”

Trixie smiled and nodded. Looking down at the floor, Starlight retreated quietly from the room, two of the guards escorting her down the hallway.

Once they were out of earshot, I cocked an eyebrow at the blue mare. She gave me a smug smile. “It was Twilight’s idea, actually. I just took the opportunity to gauge her potential, which to say the least is considerable. Some sort of work-release arrangement would be best, I think.”

I sat in the chair Starlight had vacated. Pouring myself some tea and sipping lightly, I mulled over what had just happened, trying to fill in the blanks on what was motivating Trixie’s behavior. “Is there a particular reason why you are taking the risk of trying to rehabilitate Starlight Glimmer so quickly?”

Trixie sat down across from me and waited while I refilled her cup. She likewise blew on it and didn’t answer until she took a sip. “Southern Abyssinia has been closed off for the last two weeks. Nopony or other being that approaches the Green Mountains is ever seen again. That includes the griffons of the Sunlit Eyrie, and you know how stealthy and professional they are with their intelligence gathering.” She set down her cup. “I’m taking the worst-case scenario of Discord’s warning to heart. I fear that soon, Equestria will need every possible ally at their beck and call. It might even be possible to get the dragons on board, assuming it is an issue the Dragon Lord feels is in his best interest.”

I chuckled. “And here I was thinking you were about to give the most dangerous unicorn in Equestria a full pardon just because you sympathized with her.”

“Starlight Glimmer is lost right now, Dowser. I’d like to give her a reason for living again. Twilight and her friends are probably the best way to get there from where she is at now, assuming she is properly motivated.” My marefriend smirked. “It’s actually quite fortunate that we’re getting married, otherwise I might feel tempted by such an interesting personality. Tell me, dear. What do you feel about an open marriage? Are you the herding type?”

I could tell from her wry smile that she was just needling me. She knew all about how humans were usually monogamous. That did bring up an uncomfortable topic that I decided was best brought in the open now. I felt my hoof tap rapidly against the floor until I willed it to stop. “Would you mind setting up a privacy bubble?” Trixie’s eyebrows rose but she complied.

I took in a deep breath and let it out. “Something happened in the Stallion Plague Dimension that I need to confess to you. You already know Twilight and that world’s Trixie had set up three portals to the gender-swapped dimension over the course of a day. Afterward, Twilight got some much-needed rest but that universe’s Trixie asked me for the chance to get a foal by the closest thing she had to her husband, and I accepted.”

Trixie was silent for some time, she stared at me and took another slow sip from her cup. I couldn’t read her emotions one way or another, so I just waited. Eventually, she said, “And?”

I blinked. “And that’s it. I was expecting you to be… upset.” At her continued silence, I added. “Perhaps much more than upset.”

“Well, I can’t say I’m pleased, Dowser.” She set the cup down on the tray. “However, I believe you are not telling me all of the circumstances.”

I considered. “Um… She married her Mark after only a few months and he got sick soon after they returned from their honeymoon. That Trixie was too busy with the crisis to spend more than a brief amount of time with him as he grew sicker and sicker. This was also before the exclusivity of the disease was well known, so her doctors forbade her from seeing him for the last week of his life.” Trixie winced at that. “She tried to get pregnant with artificial insemination from his semen but that failed. And when she got on her knees and begged me for a chance for a foal, I just…” I choked a bit. “I just couldn’t…”

Trixie’s forelegs went around me. I sniffled a bit. Damnit! I was supposed to be the one asking for forgiveness here, not feeling sorry for myself. After a minute or so of wiping away my tears, Trixie pulled back and looked in my eyes. “I can only imagine the road to Tartarus that she traveled. I truly sympathize with her, and I see how much empathy you have, Dowser. It is one of the things I love most about you.”

I nodded, at a loss for words.

My fiancée said, “Tell me, do you feel obligated to be there for any child that resulted from your mating? Do you want to bed her again?”

I blinked. “No, not really for both questions. In fact, I had to keep pretending she was you the whole time.”

A huge grin split Trixie’s face. She leaned in and kissed me tenderly. After a bit, she said. “You must understand, Dowser, that it’s out of necessity that Equestrian society does not practice strict monogamy. Your upbringing might cause you to feel guilt, but most mares find such a worthy pairing by their stallion to conceive a foal to be celebrated, not condemned.”

I cocked an eyebrow. “You are not ‘most mares’.”

She laughed. “Indeed not. No, if Her Highness Trixie had asked me for permission, I would have hesitated to grant it. Do you know why?”

I shook my head.

Trixie placed the tip of a hoof against my forehead. “Because of the unusual way of thinking that you have. I can’t predict how you will feel about practically any situation. Another reason why I am so fond of you.”

I pulled her into another kiss. “You really are the only mare for that place in my heart. I don’t want to lose you.”

“And you won’t.” After another long embrace, she asked, “You have been doing counseling sessions, with Cadance, yes?”

I nodded. “Yes. It’s been helpful. I guess we have something new to talk about now.”

“Indeed.”

I sat back down and looked at my bride-to-be. “Trixie, I’ve woken up from nightmares a few times this week. I don’t think I’m exactly the same pony you fell in love with. I’m not even the same stallion you knew a couple of weeks ago.”

“We’ll get through this, Dowser. You fought to get back to me and succeeded despite all obstacles. I’m not letting you get away so easily next time.”

I laughed, then fell into silence.

“Come on,” she said. “Let’s just walk around Canterlot for a bit this morning. You need some grounding to reset your brain and I think Donut Joe has just the thing to do that.”

I smirked. “You mean his coffee that eats the spoon that stirs it?”

“No, the completely inappropriate jokes that he tells, even to a princess of Equestria. Twilight has to cover her ears every time she visits, but keeps coming back because she’s addicted to his coffee.” She dropped her shield. “Shall we?”

I nodded and gave her another kiss. “Love you.”

“Never forget it,” she replied, with a bit more warning in her eyes than I expected. Before I could recover, she was already prancing out of the room.

# # # # # # # # #

Author's Note:

Next: You are cordially invited to the marriage of Princess Beatrix Lulamoon to Sir Mark Wells. It's sure to be a dignified royal affair, so be on your best behavior.


Nyx and Spell Nexus are the creations of Pen Stroke from the story, "Past Sins".
Art is by Vasillium.

PreviousChapters Next