• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 1,172 Views, 58 Comments

My Little Ponys' The Count of Monte Cristo - kahnac



Betrayed by those he once trusted, Shining Dantes is sentenced to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. But he escapes, and discovers treasure beyond imagining. And now he will use it to exact his revenge. For he is The Count of Monte Cristo.

  • ...
7
 58
 1,172

A Final Betrayal, and The Plan Succeeds

Again, Shining was greeted to an all-too familiar situation: locked in a big,, black box with no way out, being carried to an unknown location. To say he was afraid was a mild understatement: he was absolutely terrified for his own well-being. Bad enough he was tricked yet again by somepony who appeared as though they were genuine. But now, he was actually going to suffer in some way because, once again, he allowed his trusting nature to blind him to the danger. Worse, he had absolutely no idea what awaited him as the carriage rolled on. He just hoped his friends, family......and mercedes would be alright. Eventually, the carriage stopped, and a pair of Gargoyles opened the door. "Where are you taking me?" Shining asked, before he was once again hauled off the ground by his front hooves. "I want to know where you're taking me! Tell me right now!" He demanded, squirming in the gargoyles grip. He soon stopped, but was confused by the rowing of a small boat, with a single unicorn soldier inside. "Wh-.......what is that for?" Shining asked fearfully.

"To take you to your permanent resting place in the Chateau D'if Le Tambelon." One Gargoyle answered. "Where all murderers, and traitors are left to rot for all time."

Terror ripped its way into Shining as his eyes widened, ears, lowered, and iris' shrank into pinpricks. He had a feeling he was going to be locked up, but........the Chateau D'if? Surely, Villefort couldn't have been THAT cruel, could he? It was insane. He didn't know what he did to deserve any of this happening to him. But his tears began to run again at the thought of such a fate befalling him. "No, please! I'm innocent! Mr Villefort said I was! You can't do this!" The Gargoyles merely seemed to chuckle with malicious glee, which made him all the more terrified of the circumstances being against him. "Of course we can - just as the General and Prosecutor ordered us to." That was a heavy blow to Shining's psyche, which felt like he had been struck by a hammer. So those two were planning this whole thing? Were THEY the ones who framed him? Had they been conspiring to do this to him? Those were the thoughts that ran through his mind as he struggled in the Gargoyles grip, with one of them getting ready to place a magical dampener on his horn. But just as it readied to shackle his magic, one more important question tore through his mind like a vicious pair of talons in the body of a trout.

Why?

"NOOO!!!"

But then suddenly, a green, and purple blur shot into one of the Gargoyles, and threw them right off of Shining. While the other was distracted, he punched it in the nose with his hoof, then blasted it back with his magic. As he stood there, he heard the panting of the one who had apparently saved him. He looked around to see a familiar, winged dragon standing over the unconscious Gargoyle. "Spike?!" The teenage Dragon also turned to face his brother, and gave a happy, confident smirk, and a thumbs up. "At your service, bro."

"But...how? When did you-?"

"I got a bit worried after you were arrested." He rubbed the back of his head. "And...i felt bad for not being more helpful in that situation. So i've been tailing you since then. Good thing I did, or those creeps would've gotten away with this whole thing."

Shining could smile happily at his brother's dedication to keeping him safe. It seemed as if God really was looking out for him, after all. The moment didn't last long as the other Gargoyles surrounding the area swooped in to attack. Both Spike, and Shining held them at bay with their flames, and magical beams, respectively. Unfortunately, it was only doing so much for them. And the clattering of armored hooves sounded off as equine soldiers began to appear - both unicorns, and pegasi to accompany more Gargoyles. Spike could easily see the odds turning against them. "We're about to get swamped here, Shining! Any ideas what we should do?"

"We can't fight all of them at once: we have to escape before they overwhelm us."

"But where can we go? They know where you live, and where you work. I don't really think you have alot of options, Shining."

This was something he considered. And his brain continued racing through ideas. Surely there was a place noone could ever think to look for him. Somewhere he could hide until this whole ordeal was fixed, and he could get back to his friends, and family. For a while, nothing came up. But then he remembered there was somepony who could possibly help him, now. "I think I might have one left." Spike turned to him in confusion, before he ended up pulled next to Shining by his magic. "Stick close to me, Spike." Shining's horn began to surge with magical energy. "I haven't really practiced this spell alot, so i've only got enough for one jump." Before Spike could ask what he was talking about, and before the Gargoyles could jump them, both were absorbed by a burst of magic which formed an orb around them before they vanished into thin air. The Gargoyles all crashed into the ground in an embarrassing heap. Or at least some of them, anyway. The rest halted in the air, and were searching around the area in confusion. However, search as they could, they could find absolutely no sign of the escapees. And in turn, they each had fears of their own beginning to rise.

The fear of what Tirek would do to them for failing him like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A domed flash of purple light emerged a few miles away from the city of Mareseilles. And in the center of a scorched area, stood Shining and Spike. Both of them had been a little singed by the teleportation spell which had just been cast. And they, at first, were a little disoriented by the experience. "Man, does this feel familiar." Spike remarked droopily. "I had no idea you could teleport, bro."

"I can't......at least not like Twilight can." Shining rubbed his head, shaking off the drowsiness. "But i'll make it a habit to practice in case of a situation like this."

Spike smirked. "Sounds good to me." he looked around to see they were in the forest area of Mareseilles. "So what are doing now?"

"The only thing I can think of: we're going to Sombra. He'll know how to help us out."

"You really think he can help us?"

"Aside from our friends and family......he's the only other one I trust right now." He then looked down the path they stood. "We're just a half a mile away from his estate. If we run-"

"Or fly."

*sigh* "Or fly,....we should get there in no time. Let's go!" And like that, both the stallion, and dragon took off down the path by their own fastest means of travel. They ran, and flew as if the Devil himself, had been chasing them. Which was almost a correct term, given he who was intent on capturing Shining. However, all of their efforts proved effective, as a half hour later, they arrived at Sombra's home. They found the door unlocked, and rushed in without consideration, looking for their black unicorn friend. "Sombra!" Shining shouted as he looked through the halls of the house he'd been to a few times. "Sombra, it's Shining! Where are you?"

"In here!"

Both ears perked, and followed the sound of the voice. The pair soon found themselves in Sombra's weapon-trophy chamber where he held a number of blades, and other weapons. "Sombra! Thank goodness we found you!" Shining exclaimed, running up to his friend. "I think someone's trying to frame me! I was arrested earlier for treason, and for murdering Iron Hoof! Someone planted a dagger in my coat, and found about about a letter I was holding for Empress Moon! I thought it was only a letter, but....the witch lied to me! Now Tirek, Neighsay Villefort are trying to lock me away in the Chateau D'if, even though i didn't do anything wrong!" Shining took a moment to catch his breath, letting Spike say, "And we figured our house is the first place they'd look for us. So Shining figured you could help him. Can you?" Sombra had remained quiet for an eerily long time. Both brothers had absolutely no idea what he was thinking as his back remained turned to them. Then he turned around, and surprised both of them with a frightening glare aimed at Shining. "Why in Equestria would I do a thing like that?" Next thing either of them knew, Sombra' horn ignited with Dark Magic, and trapped Spike in a huge black crystal. Even with all his struggles, Spike's dragon strength couldn't budge the black stone.

"Spike!" Shining exclaimed with worry. But before he could even more in to help his brother, a black sword which appeared to be made of the same element blocked his path. To his confusion, he saw Sombra having it pointed at his chest. "S-Sombra?" He was already confused, but now he was growing concerned. "Sombra, what are you doing?" Both ponies back around the room in a circle. "Sombra, cut it out! This isn't any time for your games!"

"Oh?" Sombra cocked an eyebrow. "Even if this game is for........your life?"

Shining's ears fell. "What are you talking about?"

"Obviously, you should've known better than to keep secrets from your best friend, Shining - especially when I could see your exchange clear as day back on Eldibar."

Eldibar? How could Sombra have known about that? Was he really.........? That's when a horrible realization dawned on him. "It was you?! YOU set the charge against me?!"

"Simply doing my duty in the name of equestria. However, if you had just been more trusting, and honest with me, we could have PROBABLY avoided this unfortunate circumstance."

"But......Sombra, I didn't have any choice! She would have let Iron Hoof die if I didn't agree to help her! I gave my word to be quiet about it!"

"And in the end, what good did it do? Iron Hoof's dead, and you were miraculously anointed General. Anyone other than myself could have seen that as suspicious. I only wish I could have realized it sooner." he raised a hoof to his chin. "Although.....odds are this might have happened, anyway. Even if it wasn't me, somepony else surely would have."

Shining's eyes narrowed. "I'm getting tired of this, Sombra: let Spike go, now."

"Sorry.......can't have your dragon whelp end up in the way of what's to come." He then pulled down a sword with his magic, and threw it to Shining. "What are you-?"

"It's simple: you best me in a one on one duel......and i'll drop all of the charges, and see to it your name is cleared. Both of us will only use the sword for this fight, and only swords. Sound fair, doesn't it?"

Shining shook his head in exasperation. "How exactly do you think any of this is fair?! Even if I wanted to go through with this, you know i'm not as good with a sword as you are!"

Sombra smirked. "Exactly." Then he fired a burst of black magic which shone over Shining's body. He closed his eyes, and covered his face in fear. But was relaxed when he felt nothing had happened. Actually, no, that isn't true. He DID feel something happened. Especially when his sword had fallen to the ground when his magic mysteriously cut off. Panic grew in his heart, and looked up to see his horn covered in tiny, black crystals. All of them growing like a ruthless infection. He tried using his magic, but the crystals kept him from doing so. "My horn! What did-...what did you do to my horn?"

"Nullified it with my magic. It's one of my favorite spells to use against enemies. Why else do you think I win most of the time?" Without warning, Sombra's signature scythe also appeared, and swung down at Shining like an ax. Just before it could hit, he picked up the sword in his mouth, and ducked out of the way. That was when Sombra's assault truly began. With his magic holding his sword, he stood upright, and grabbed his scythe in his hooves. He then began striking at Shining with both weapons, as fluidly as a fire dancer uses a torch. Shining had to struggle to avoid getting cut, and to evade being hit with either blades, as he could not fight as Sombra did. Spike, all the while, continued his struggling to escape. But he caught glimpses of the fight, and he snarled. "That's not fair! Fight him fairly, you coward!!" But he was ignored, and left to try, and break free of his prison. He had to help Shining before it was too late.

The duel soon began to move into one of the hallways in the house. Shining continued to struggle to defend himself. And in doing so, he received a gash to the top of his chest on his right side. But a kick forced him to fly backwards, and onto his back. Again, Sombra leaped at him, with his scythe swinging down. With a shout, he grabbed the sword in his right hoof, and managed to block the scythe before it could cut into him. He pushed the blade back, and got back on his hooves. A pained expression crossed his face while Sombra's scowl remained. "I just don't understand! Why are you doing all of this? If you're angry about the letter, i'm sorry I kept it from you! You're my best friend - we don't have to do this!"

"You can say all that........when you have more than a single pony deserves." Sombra growled. "All the while others only wish they had what you did. Oh, no, Shining. My reasons for all i've done this night - as well as Tirek, and Neighsay - are well beyond your abilities of understanding. Just know that everything that's happening to you......is simply part of an act of providence."

"Providence?"

"Never said it was for you." He then relaunched his assault. Only this time, he went in much faster than before. Far too fast for Shining to keep up his pace. He ended up holding the sword in both hooves, just desperately trying to block the attacks as they came. But finally, it ended with him getting his blade knocked out of his hooves, and the left side of his chest getting slashed, and knocking him back on the ground. His white shirt had been cut, and stained with some of Shining's own blood. And as he winced in pain, trying to get back up, Sombra's sword went to his throat. He looked up at Sombra, seeing no traces of the friend he knew all these years. Had he ever truly been his friend? Thinking of it put a pained expression, riddled with betrayal, confusion, and sadness over his face. Tears of anguish began to fall as he realized how alone he was now. Sombra, however, seemed to revel in Shining's defeated expression, and said, "Guess it's my king of the moment." Then the sound of a door opening echoed through the house. Sombra called for them, saying Shining was in here. It was a quartet of Gargoyles, who were all staring menacingly at Shining. "Don't worry: the effects of the spell should wear off in an hour." Sombra said, making his weapons disappear. "Though where you're going, you won't ever be using magic again." He nodded to the Gargoyles, and they grabbed the shaken Stallion by his "arms", and began to carry him out. Before they did, Sombra stopped them. They, and Shining were confused about this at first. Even more so when Sombra's expression actually became sympathetic....and he pulled out his chess piece. "I AM sorry it had to come to this, Shining." He then slipped the piece into Shining's front pocket. "Keep this........to remember the good days we used to have....my friend." He then nodded to the Gargoyles, and they took him away. And this time, Shining didn't put up a fight. He knew this was the end of the line for him. And he had noone to save him now. He only hoped Spike would be alright as they threw him back into the prison carriage from before. A broken expression fell over him as he watched Sombra looking at him through the doorway of his estate. Soon, he would only be a small, grey blot in the distance. His head lowering, he wept in the darkness of the box which held him.

His life was truly over.......and he would never see his Mercedes again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sombra sighed a heavy sigh as he watched Shining leave. As happy as he was that his one-time rival for Cadences' affections was out of the way, part of him couldn't help but feel bad for what he had done. He WAS Shining's friend, so of course a small part of him would feel a hint of remorse. But it passed over quickly, and Sombra turned back inside.......just in time to greet the familiar, red centaur standing in front of him. "I'm guessing you enjoyed the show, Tirek?"

Tirek blew out a cloud of smoke, noting how he would need to buy a new pack of cigars later, and smiled villainously. "More than you know. It was even harder not to take part in your little fight, myself, or send in the Gargoyles I summoned a few minutes ago to do that. This......was FAR greater than I imagined."

"Glad you enjoyed the show. I guess I shouldn't have doubted you when you predicted Shining would come here."

"It was easy enough to deduce, my friend.............especially when our scaly friend had basically helped me predict this moment." An orange orb of his magic appeared, and dragged in Spike, who was tied up behind him. Still struggling to break out, which now seemed impossible when he was in Tirek's hold. "He actually thought he was being sneaky, and avoiding my gaze - but I could smell his daconian stink a mile away. And as the only dragon in Mareseilles, it wasn't hard to deduce it was him. That's how I knew he was going to help Dantes escape his confinement. I simply had a thought that both of them would consider you as the only other pony they could trust to help them. After all.....neither of them knew you were part of this until now."

Sombra was actually pretty impressed by Tirek's deductive skills. "Very interesting. It's a wonder you never became a detective, or something like that. But I guess this explains how you got your rank."

"Oh, it's simply another gift of the gene pool, you might say. I ALWAYS like to stay one step ahead of my enemies to see the surprise when they're ousted. Makes victory taste all the sweeter."

Spike grunted as he tried to move. "Where's Shining?! What did you do to him?! If you hurt him, I swear i'll-!!!"

"YOU will do NOTHING, brat!!!" Tirek snarled in an intimidating fashion, which actually startled Spike. "If I had my way, I would ship you off to the Chateau D'if along WITH your unicorn sow of a sibling." He sighed. "But I know your mistress, Princess Twilight, would grow suspicious of your sudden disappearance - or worse still, if she found BOTH of her brothers being arrested, she would work to investigate the matter. And the last thing we need is for the Princesses to learn of our plans."

"What plans?"

"Nothing all that elaborate, Spike." Sombra said. "Simply remove Shining Dantes from the picture, so that me, and Tirek may have that which we desire most. In his case, it's to take his rightful place as General of the Equestrian Military. Aside from that, I neither know, nor care. As for me? Well..........it's a simply matter of love.....for Mercedes'."

Spikes eyes widened in absolute shock. "You mean.........you framed Shining, and got him sent to prison......just so you could be with Cadence? That's why you betrayed him?!"

Sombra chuckled. "You catch on quickly, don't you?"

"But......but she doesn't love you! She loves Shining!"

Sombra's eyes narrowed at that. "That's only a small technicality. She WILL warm up to me one day. I simply have to be patient, and wait a while. Just long enough to let it slip that dear Shining had an.........accident, and has moved on. A something she'll do once she hears the news."

Spike's eyes showed just how much he was hurting on the inside. Sombra was actually willing to lie, and say Shining had actually died in prison. All so he could make Cadence feel emotionally devastated, and turn to him for support. Undoubtedly so he could then marry her afterwards. This was almost too much for him to handle. Even he began to tear up a bit at just how horrible Sombra was. "I don't......I thought that...........he was-.......he was your friend, Sombra. He trusted you. He looked up to you! You were like a brother to him! How could you betray him so easily?" Sombra held no expression at first. Only a blank stare of neutrality. It was nearly impossible to understand what it was he was thinking. But after a while, his eyes became slits, and he appeared almost remiss. A deep sigh then escaped his muzzle before he spoke. "You're right...........he was my friend. But those days are over now. You may be too young to understand now......but you will some day."

At this point, it hardly mattered what Sombra had said. All he knew was that he had abandoned his friendship with somepony who cared a great deal with him.....just so he could be with the mare HE loved. It was inconceivable. And it was what made Spike glare in anger, and growl viciously as smoke escaped the sides of his mouth. "I'll make you both pay for this. You, Tirek, and that Neighsay creep? You're all gonna pay for this! I'll tell Twilight, and the Princesses what you did! Tell them everything i've seen you do, and hear you say! Then you'll all get what's coming to you! I swear it!" Instead of seeming intimidated by this threat, the two individuals looked at each other. And then, to his confusion, they both began to laugh maniacally, and wickedly. When it finally settled, Tirek said, "Poor, simple fool. How can you intend on making us pay........when you won't even remember what's happened this night?"

Spikes glare broke, and he gave the pair a questioning look. Sombra took over, as a smile began to cross his face. "In case you've forgotten, Spike: we already knew about you since Shining was brought to the courthouse. We never had any intentions of hurting you, or imprisoning you. Not when there are......other means of handling you." Spike most assuredly didn't like where this was going. "W-what do you mean?" he asked nervously. "As much as I pride myself on my skills with numerous blades.......it is my skill with Dark Magic - which I have neglected for too long - that is my truest artform. Especially its applications for........memory alterations, and erasure." He grinned with evil intent. "How else do you think I ensured the loyalty of my slaves during the reign of the Crystal Empire. Or at least kept them from leaving to warn anypony? Can't do it when you've no mind to spare."

Now, Spike understood exactly what he was beginning to suspect. And he grew fearful as Sombra's horn began glowing with the poisonous aura of dark magic. While he fearfully struggled, Tirek lowered him to the ground so that Sombra could approach him. Spike tried to get away with all his strength, but it was no good. He was about to lose all of his recent memories concerning Shining, and this abhorrent conspiracy. Nopony would ever know the truth. Not Twilight, Not his friends, Not their parents.

And worse of all......neither would Cadence

That thought alone was just too cruel to imagine. And he didn't want to let it happen. But it was out of his claws. He was helpless in the thrall of these two evil monsters. And now, Sombra was about to wipe him clean of all the evidence he had. "Don't worry, Spike: soon this will all seem like a bad dream. When you'll wake up, you'll be just fine. And another step to erasing the memory..........of Shining Dantes." Both he, and Tirek began laughing wickedly as Somba began casting his dark spell. Even despite Spikes' tear-filled protests.

"No! Please, don't! No! NOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Author's Note:

Chapter six ready, and at your service.

And this if the final part of the prelude to the imprisonment of Shining Dantes. Despite Spike's best efforts, both of them make the unintentional mistake of going to the one pony they should never have trusted. Sombra made NO effort to hide his nature, and ensured Shining's fate was sealed. In doing so, he broke his friends faith, and trust, and shattered the hope of avoiding his cruel fate. Now it's the Chateau D'if for our hero.

And the worst part? Spike was the only other one who had any idea what was happening. But now Sombra is about to ensure those memories will never see the light of day. The same way he suppressed the memories of The Crystal Ponies of their time before his reign. And i'm afraid it won't be so easy to break that spell this time.

Up next, we see Shining brought into the infamous prison of Prance. And there's a reason I also call this place the Chateau D'if Le Tambelon. And you're gonna see the bell-wearing, blue furred ram who gives this reason.:D