• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 1,172 Views, 58 Comments

My Little Ponys' The Count of Monte Cristo - kahnac



Betrayed by those he once trusted, Shining Dantes is sentenced to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. But he escapes, and discovers treasure beyond imagining. And now he will use it to exact his revenge. For he is The Count of Monte Cristo.

  • ...
7
 58
 1,172

The Storm of Hate is Brewing

It was many days before the good ship, SS. Noble Lance, made port in the town of Maresailles. Even in spite of the events which had occurred recently, and the loss suffered before, Shining could only feel happiness swell inside of him at the sight of his long-awaited home. For here, he always had a certain somepony to await his return with all the happiness in the world. Her name was Cadenze "Cadence" Mercedes, and she was the niece of Princess Celestia, and Luna. Though she was an alicorn as they were, she had yet to assume a position of royalty - at least until she was properly ready, and possibly had somepony at her side. That was Shining's job, of course. For they had known each other since they were young children, and have always had a connection. But over time, the connection bloomed into something more beautiful than all of the riches, and gold in the world.

Love.

Just before he left for this most recent venture out to sea, he had proposed to her for marriage, to which she had said yes. Naturally, they wanted to wait for the day when they got married. But his time away only proved just how much he missed her. He just couldn't wait, anymore, and was eager to see her again. However, just as he, and the others were exiting the craft, certain ponies were overlooking them from atop the balcony of "The Equestrian Shipping Firm." To Shining's surprise, and delight, it was his sister, Twilight Sparkle. And beside her was a unicorn stallion he knew as well as General Iron Hoof. He was named Firrel "Fancy Pants", but despite being of a canterlot upbringing, he was a very well-mannered, considerate gentlecolt who gave a great deal of concern for others. This was the reason that Twilight had hired him as the co-manager of the Shipping Firms, so that he could aid in financing the Equestrian Military's naval expeditions. Of course, since Twilight was usually away in her own home to manage her responsibilities, he was more or less the primary manager of this firm. Still, they always preferred working together to make sure the firm was running smoothly. But while both were happy to see their sailing soldiers, they couldn't help but notice somepony who was missing. "Ho, down there!" Fancy cried down to the commanding trio who had just removed themselves from the ship. All 3 of them heard the call, and Shining smiled happily when he saw who was up there. "Twilight, Mr. Fancy! It's good to see you both, again."

"Likewise, Shining." Twilight said cheerfully, before a she grew concerned at the absence of somepony who should've also been there to greet them. "Um.....where's General Iron Hoof? Checking the inventory on the ship, or something like that? I'd really like to speak with him." Here was where a somber expression came over Shining for everypony to see. Sombra and TIrek simply looked away, as if they just couldn't say anything. Thus leaving it up to the first-lieutenant. "He's.....he's gone, Twily. He developed a lethal brain tumor overseas, and........he died." His voice carried a sadness that could only be felt by one who lost a dear friend, and/or family member. Twilight, and Fancy turned to each other in shock. They couldn't believe what Shining had just said. Yet the general's absence added to the truth. Fancy cleared his voice, and asked, "What happened, exactly?"

Tirek suddenly bolted back to life, with steam blowing out his nostrils in anger as he looked up at his superiors. "I can tell you: this insubordinate idiot sent us on a fools errand against MY orders. He dragged us all to the island of Eldiban, and almost got us all killed! That's what happened!" Both ponies lightly gasped. Eldiban, the isle where Empress Moon had been exiled to? That was incredible in, and of itself - mainly because of the fact they lived to tell of it. Still, though, this did raise interesting questions that the two wanted answered. Both nodded to each other, before turning back to the group. "Alright. Shining, and Tirek: you come to Fancy's office right now. Both of us want more details about this event in full detail." Her gaze then fell down on Sombra. "You have free leave to go." At first, Sombra was about to protest so that he could be a part of this meeting...and learn the truth. But then, he thought of an idea which made him smile ever so slightly. After bowing in agreement, he ran off to locations Shining didn't know. He just hoped everything was okay with his friend before entering the firm.

The two soldiers soon entered the office of Fancy Pants, who sat at his desk with Twilight right beside the desk in her own chair. Tirek was keeping calm, despite his recent outburst of anger before. He was sure that, siblings or no, Shining Dantes would pay the penalty for his insubordination, and for endangering his soldiers. Fancy cleared his throat once more. "Now, please: tell us exactly what happened." Instead of answering himself, Tirek only stared at Shining, silently judging him. As if he could sense it, Shining felt some hint of pressure building up inside. He was the one who had to say what happened. So, with what sounded like small traces of shame, he spoke. "I take full responsibility, sir. When Iron Hoof grew deathly ill, all I could think about was getting him to the nearest locale with the hope he could save. And I.......deliberately ignored Lieutenant General Tirek's orders to stay away from the Island I saw - he was the one who knew that was Eldibar. But I didn't care at the time. I just wanted to save our general. So I took a whole garrison, with Sombra AND Tirek at my side, and went ashore, where I.......I almost got all of us killed by speaking out to the Lunar Soldiers. We were only lucky Empress Moon wasn't a complete monster, and was willing to listen to me and help us, or neither of us would be here right now." His eyes closed, and his head lowered in shame. "Lot of good it did us, seeing as how he died anyway." He lifted his head back up, with a confident stare. "If there's any punishment to be had, then let me accept it. After what i've done, I think I deserve it."

Tirek merely smirked in satisfaction. If there was one thing he could always account for, it was Shining's belligerent honesty, and willingness to stick up for others. A weakness which would cost him a great deal. Or so he thought. In actuality, both Fancy Pants and Twilight were considering the explanation very thoroughly. Finally, Fancy turned to Tirek, who's smirk slowly faded as they spoke. "Is it true you ordered against Shining's actions?"

"Uh, y-yes. Yes, of course. I had observed our navigation charts beforehand, so I knew that we had arrived at Eldibar. As Lieutenant General, I forbade Dantes from taking the general there, because I knew it was a fools errand. But he insisted on taking the chance to save the general, and did it, anyway."

"I see." Fancy stroked his beard in thought. "That's unfortunate for you, Danglars."

Tirek's eyes widened in confusion. "Excuse me?"

"As Lieutenant General, your first course of action should have been thinking of Shining's idea before him. Lest you forget, Equestria was founded by those who displayed the virtues of Harmony. Shining's loyalty to the general was irrefutable. And that he attempted a peaceful solution, judging by his explanation, was most commendable. I imagine, sadly, we lost a few good ponies before things settled.....but such is the price of being a soldier, i'm afraid."

Tirek seemed somewhat remiss to understand what Fancy was implying. Shining himself seemed a bit uncertain at the discussion. "I don't know what you mean: I was only trying to protect the men from certain death." Firrel seemed to sniff in disagreement. "From the sound of it, all you wished was to protect yourself. If you had your way, you would've staved aboard the Noble Spear while Shining did the deeds. As I said, going ashore to seek help should've been YOUR idea." Tirek could only lower his head, feeling slightly humiliated by this exchange. Then Twilight spoke. "First I want to know: DID you try, and use peaceful methods, first?"

Shining thought back for a moment. "Uh...yes. I tried speaking with the Lunar Soldiers before they attacked us. And when Empress Moon appeared, I negotiated for the safety of the crew, myself, and the general. She was at least reasonable enough to listen, and accept."

"Well, that's good, Shining." Twilight said with understanding. "Don't blame yourself for the bad things that happen. Noone can ever predict everything that happens. But the fact you handled yourself so well, and made sure there were few casualties is something to be happy about - and i'm definitely happy you're alright." Shining warmly smiled back at his sister. Always grateful she was somepony who always found positives to any situation. It was then Fancy's turn to speak again. "Yes, indeed. But......we also have to wonder: did Ironhoof manage to say anything before he died? Anything of importance?" At this, Shining cast a small glance at the displeased Tirek. He noted how irritable the centaur appeared to be growing. This made him afraid to come out, and expose his secret conversation with the general, for fear of how his superior would react. Still, it was something he HAD to do. "Actually, before he died, he spoke to me in private..........to tell me that he wanted me to take his place once he died."

All 3 of the other figures exclaimed in surprise - Tirek less so, since he had heard everything in regards to the final discussion. But nonetheless, he played the role just as well. Perhaps to place doubt on such preposterous claims. "Oh, please! You don't actually expect us to believe that, do you?"

"You can believe what you want, Danglars: i'm telling you all the truth. Which I swear, by my own honor, IS the truth."

After getting over the initial shock, both Twilight, and Fancy reclaimed their composure. And after several moments, they began to think about this. The more they did, the more it began to make a little sense. "Yes, indeed." Firrel said. "And our dear Shining has never proven dishonest. Not to mention how fond Ironhoof was of him beforehoof. So it's not too hard to believe." He used his magic to quickly wipe off his monocle with a hankie. "If that is so, then there isn't much else to it. With Iron hoof dead, a replacement IS required - and he had the right to choose his successor, as per the laws of Equestria." He then smiled at Shining, who was taking in everything as it came. "Congratulations, Shining Dantes. Though it may seem somewhat unconventional, you have still taken a more suitable position which I think best suits a pony of your character."

"Yep. Definitely agree on that." Twilight interjected happily. "I'll just have to go to Canterlot to inform the princesses, so we can make the transition official. Either way, the 17th division is now yours, Shining - just like the Noble Lance, which you've always dreamed of taking command." Shining had no idea what to say at the moment. True, while this wasn't how he wanted to go about it, he still wished to one day be an important figure in the Equestrian Military - and to sail the world with a crew of his own to find new adventures. It was more than he could ever dream of. And he was positively beaming, as happy tears trailed his muzzle. Tirek, in contrast, was stewing in his anger, and outrage. "Just. One. Moment." he snarled. "Are you really saying that you're going to discharge me, so that this pony can take a position he hasn't properly earned?!"

"Noone said anything about discharging you, Tirek. And this isn't a demotion, either, in case you were wondering." Twilight corrected. "Where did you get that idea? You'll stay Lieutenant General: but now under Shining Dantes' command. It's the best decision that works for everypony."

Tirek's eyes narrowed. "Or maybe it's a decision based on sibling bias."

Twilight was taken aback for a moment, and Shining was unappreciative of how Tirek was speaking to her. But before anything could be done, Fancy Pants stepped in. "That is enough, Tirek! You will address the princess with respect, or there WILL be a discharge concerning you. Dismissed." Tirek only glared hatefully at Fancy Pants, whom he now had an even greater disdain than he ever imagined. Shared between him, and the snot-nosed alicorn..........but the lion's share was held by Shining Dantes, who he glared at as he left the room. They think he didn't know anything, but he still had Iron hoof's words trapped within his mind. And he began to think that, now that Shining was given a promotion that was rightfully his, he would take his former leaders words to heart, and remove him. That was something he would never allow. EVER.

Shining, all the while, was actually quite sympathetic towards the centaur. He never wanted to cause such trouble in the first place. But things, as always, seemed to spiral out of control, and he was left with the after-effects. He only hoped that his newfound Lieutenant would be able to calm down after a while, and get over the issues. Fancy tapping on his desk garnered back his attention. "Don't be concerned with him right now, Shining. There's only one more question I feel I must have asked: was there anything else that happened on Eldibar? Perhaps between you, and the Empress....or any of your troops, for that matter?" Shining jolted slightly. He already was growing nervous, because he still remembered the letter tucked away in his pocket. But he also remembered his promise to the Empress, and he kept a straight face to hid e his nervousness. "No, sir......nothing."

Fancy looked at Shining for several seconds, before letting out a good natured laugh as he slapped his desk. "Then our business is concluded, for the time being. Why don't you trot on home now, and take Twilight with you?" His eyebrow then rose up in a coy manner. "As I recall, there's a certain mare who is still awaiting your return. Perhaps this news will excite her even further - though seeing her fiance' again should prove exciting enough." Shining exclaimed in surprise, before a bright smile appeared, and his eyes gleamed. "Yes, of course! Thank you, Mr. Fancy Pants. I hope to see you again sometime." He then bolted out of his chair, and bolted out the door with Twilight flying after him. Fancy found himself both amused, and endeared by his young friend's love for his loving mare. And he knew those two would make an excellent Husband, and Wife one day. With that thought moved aside, he returned to his duties. Unaware of the unicorn stallion garbed in a black suit, cloak, and hate, while carrying a cane which held an armored alicorn head atop it. "Is this the firm in which a Shining Dantes has been commissioned to work for?"

"Hm?" Fancy's ears perked. "Oh, yes, but you just missed him. He has leave for the rest of the day off. I imagine he's off to see his parents before he meets his fiance'. And who may I ask is asking for him?"

"Just a friend named Spell Nexus Villefort."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out in the streets of mareseilles Shining had been trotting along, with his sister not far behind. All the while, the smile he was always known for was being presented to all who saw him. A trait many found endearing. And he didn't mind showing off his smile whenever he could. It just showed that he was always happy. "So where do you think Mercedes is at this moment?"

"I don't know, but that's also why we're heading to our parent's place, first."

"You think she's there?"

"If not, then maybe they'll know where she is."

"Oooh! Or maybe one of the girls will know, since they're staying at our parent's house with me while we're here."

"Heh. That makes things easier, then."

The two decided to gallop the rest of the way to their parent's humble abode. It was nothing all that complex: just a simple, 3-story house with at least 3 floors. So rooms were of no issue for when guests arrived. Still, Shining's father, Nightlight Dantes, was a proud stallion who was happy with whatever he had. And his wife, Twilight Velvet, was always there to support him. Despite the fact they had simple lifestyles, they still managed to get by......even if sometimes it was just barely. That would soon change, Shining thought, when he was officially anointed general. Eventually, they came to the household, and their destination. Before Shining could knock, Twilight lifted up the welcome mat, and pulled out the key. Shining chuckled as he thought how old fashioned that was, yet still effective. She opened the door, and the two of them stepped in.................only for a large green, and purple blur to tackle Shining off his hooves. It was none other than the young dragon, Spike - Twilight's faithful assistant, and surrogate younger brother. Which made him Shining's brother, too. "Shining! I really missed you, and it's great seeing you again!" His voice sounded more like a teenagers, to the added surprise of Shining. "Guess someone had a growth-spurt, eh spike?" he said, with him almost sounding like he was getting choked.

"Alright' now, Spike." Spoke the western accent of Applejack as she, and the six other ponies - Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie - entered the hall. "Give Shining a break, before ya'll end up suffocatin' him."

"Yeah. We all know that's Pinkie's job." Rainbow quipped.

"Ooooh!" the pink pony in question said, oblivious to her friends joke. "Are we having a contest to see who gives the best hugs? I wanna go next! Me next! Me Next!" She hopped up and down excitedly, only for Rarity to hold her still, saying, "Oh, honestly, Pinkie, let's not get carried away. After all, our dear Dantes' only just arrived. I'm sure he's most eager to relax himself right now." Spike had long since let go of his brother, and backed up to let Shining beam at the sight of the friends he shared with Twilight, however little time he gets to spend with them. "Hi, girls." he said politely, but also happily. "It's good to see you all, too. Though i'm surprised at how big you've gotten, Spike. I thought I was only gone for 4 months." he joked. Spike giggled at the remark while rubbing the fin on the back of his head. "Doesn't really matter to dragons, apparently. I ended up like this last week: one minute I was still small, and pudgy, but then.....POOF! I'm guessing it's just part of the dragon's natural life cycle."

"Well, either way, you look great. A real charmer with the ladies, i bet." He winked, making Spike blush along with Rarity. But then, he started looking around the house. "But now I want to know where my mom, and dad are, if you don't mind."

"In the living room, i believe." Rarity said, rubbing her chin. "Come with us, darling, and we'll lead you to them." Shining nodded, and followed the group of friends to where they said his parent's were. True to their word, sitting on a couch next to an open fire, sat his mother and father. Both of whom seemed a bit weary about something. But the sound of clopping hooves turned their eyes toward the doorway......where they were met with the wonderful sight of their beloved son. "Hi, mom and dad: i'm finally home, again!" He exclaimed happily, running up to the two ponies, and giving them a loving embrace. "Oh, Shining,sweetheart! We're both so happy to see you!" Velvet exclaimed in joy. "You have no idea how long we were worried about you when the Noble Spear didn't make port in over 4 months. We were afraid the worst had-"

"It's alright, mom. No way i'm ever going out by getting tossed into the sea." Shining nuzzled both parent's faces again. Night Light chuckled with delight. "Well, you're okay, son, so that's all that matters. So how's our brave Colonel been in the recent voyage? See anything amazing, and exciting while you were out."

"Actually, there's alot i'd like to talk about later." He then turned his head to the side, lifting his voice to his chin. "Though I have to say, compared to what i've seen in my regiment..........I have a feeling being General is gonna be alot more of an adventure." He then made a silly face while looking to his parents. As he hoped, both of them, and even the other ponies and spike, were taken by surprise - minus Twilight. Nightlight, and Velvets faces then suddenly turned from shocked, to huge, smiling, beaming faces as they hugged Shining again. "General?! That's-....tha-that's amazing! When did you get such a promotion?!" Velvet exclaimed energetically. "Just today........following the loss of Iron Hoof." he said with only a small hint of sadness, which the others picked up on easily, and sympathized. But he quickly turned it aside, and put his smile back on. "But it's okay now. I made my peace with it, and I'm ready to move on." He then made his way to the kitchen, which was just in the room next to them. "Come on! I wanna have a little celebration for the occasion before I go see Cadence! Do you still keep the wine in the cupboard, or........-"

"Uh." Nighlight exclaimed, giving his wife a concerned look she shared. But then he turned back to the direction of the kitchen to look at Shining. All while doing his best to hide the disappointment in his voice. "You don't have to worry about that, son. B-besides............we don't have any more wine." This surprised, and confused Shining as he looked around. "No wine?" He quickly trotted back to the living room. "I don't understand: I left both of you at least 250 bits to get by on when I left four months ago."

Here was where the parents looked to each other sadly, and sat back down while bidding him to do the same. All while the others sat in the middle of the room. Already Shining felt concern for his mom and dad, just by seeing their shame expressions. "Yes, Shining, you did leave us that much. But.....well, you see..........." Velvet sighed as she spoke up for Night Light. "Right after you left for your voyage, our neighbor, Guild Caderousse appeared to collect the debt he said you owed him."

Shining's eyes widened. "Caderousse?"

"We told him you had just left, but he was insistent that he be payed what he said you owed him. And he said that if we didn't pay for you, he would take the debt straight to your shipping firm." Nightlight said with growing shame. This only made Shining feel more distress than he cared for. "So what did you......" Realization then hit him. "Did you-?"

"Yes, Shining." Nighlight answered. "We paid the Griffon what was owed."

"But, I owed him exactly 160 bits for the loan he gave me!" Shining exclaimed. "And if you paid the exact amount, then.........Mom, Dad.....please. Please don't tell me you've only been getting by for the last four month......only on 60 bits worth of what I gave you." His voice was pleading, as he felt a sense of guilt arise within him. Neither of the parent's could look him in the eye, for the answer was obvious. And it was this that made Shining break into guilt-ridden tears for his parents paying for a mistake he made. "Oh, god!" He exclaimed. "Oh, god, i'm sorry. I'm so sorry!" This, however, was hardly the reaction either of the ponies expected, along with the other seven. "S-shining?" Velvet placed a hoof on her son's shoulder. "What's the matter, dear?" His head shot up, soaked with fresh, hot tears. "I'll never forgive myself for this!" The confusion only increased. "Son, what are you talking about?" Night Light asked, as his son embraced them while still crying. "This was my fault! I should've payed my debt beforehand, but.......instead I neglected it, and made you two do what was supposed to be MY job. And you've barely been getting by, as it is. I made both of you suffer quietly, and needlessly. I'll never forgive myself for that." Both parents shushed him as they held him, while stroking his mane. Feeling sympathy for their friend, and brother, the rest of the ponies joined in the embrace to help cheer him up. "It's okay, Shining. It's okay." Night Light lulled. "It's done, and over with. And we're still just fine. Don't let something like this tear you apart: it happens to almost everypony. Now we see you again, and it's all over..............you're here now, and everything's alright again."

Shining's sniffling sobs began to grow dim, and silent. The emotions he felt ran out of his system. Though that still didn't undo the guilt he felt. "Yes." he sniffled. "I'm here now.......and i'm with a promising future, and....a little money, at least." The group hug ended, and everyone watched as Shining pulled out his own purse, before dropping his own money on the table. Rarity oohed and awed at the jewels and gold pieces he kept, before Applejack snapped her out of it. "Here. Take all of this. Use it to spend on something, immediately." The parent's eyes were so wide that they almost fell out of their heads. "Shining, honey........where did you get this?" Velvet asked in surprise. "It's mine.....and yours.......and ours!" He exclaimed, as a few more tears fell from his face. "I'm begging you both: please use it to buy some new provisions for yourselves! Make yourselves happy, and don't worry, anymore! I promise you, tomorrow we'll have so much more than this, you won't be able to believe it. Next time Carousse shows up, i'll pay him any amount he wants should he offer us any assistance. Our problems are over now." At this statement, the pair just couldn't hold back anymore, and let a few joyful tears flow as they both held Shining's face in their hooves. "How in the name of Celestia did we ever get blessed with such a wonderful son?" Nightlight asked proudly. Shining let his face sink into their hooves, as his eyes shut from the peacefulness of the moment. "Because I have two amazing parent's who taught me all I know." He smiled warmly, causing the two to embrace him happily. The others, of course, couldn't hold in THEIR emotions either, and were happily shedding tears at the display. Even Rainbow Dash, who was oblivious to Twilight catching her until she saw her stare at her with a smile. She discarded the tear, but it was too late for that. "Already saw that, Dash." Twilight teased. Rainbow sighed in slight annoyance. "Okay fine! So what if I get a LITTLE sappy? You guys are the only ones it doesn't matter around." Twilight giggled, before turning back to her family. Just as the 3 broke their embrace, Shining remembered something. "Oh, yeah! Mom, Dad: have either of you seen Mercedes? I want to tell her the news as soon as possible."

"Mercedes?" Nightlight asked, before turning to Velvet who was also thinking. That's when she remembered. "I saw her a few hours ago. I think she said something about waiting by her favorite spot by the shore." Shining smiled as he understood exactly what she meant. "Okay, then. Since you both look like you're in good health, and now that you've got everything you need, can i go and see my beloved Mercedes now?" Nightlight, and Velvet smiled once more. "Of course, son." Night Light said. "You go on, and see her now. And I honestly hope that heaven blesses you with your wife, as it blessed us with a son like you." Though both parent's quickly shot Twilight apologetic looks, hoping she didn't think they were favoring her brother over her. She just smiled, and shook her head to show she didn't. Rainbow Dash, however, was a bit confused about something. "Wait, hang on: i thought Shining and Mercedes weren't even married yet. So doesn't that NOT make her his wife, yet?" She received a jab to the side from AJ for her troubles. "Rainbow Dash!" She chided the Pegasus. She then apologized on her behalf. Shining just raised a hoof. "It's alright. To answer anyway, i'm gonna say that's not really an issue, since we soon WILL be married." he beamed happily. "Let's just be glad you returned when you did, darling, since somepony may also hold affection for her."

Shining's head tilted a bit. "Who?"

"I think she means your creepy friend, Sombra." Pinkie said without much thought, yet no hint of malice.

"Not that we really dislike Mr Mondego, or anything, it's just, um....." Fluttershy began.

"It's just that we've seen him each time we've visited." Spike interjected. "Heck, before you and Twilight came back, I swore I saw him following Mercedes around, talking to her." Spike humphed. "Though it looked like he was interested in more than polite conversation."

"Please relax, Spike. Despite alot of things, Sombra is as much Cadence's friend as he is mine. And he already knows she loves me, so i'm not worried. All I care about is seeing how she'll react to the news. This is a big opportunity for me to provide her with a good life, and make sure she's happy when we're together, finally."

"Well, you aregonna be a general, soon." Rainbow Dash tried to compliment. "No way she's gonna turn somepony like that down."

Shining raised a hoof to his chin in thought. "Meaning that.........if I WASN'T a general...."

WASN'T a general?!"exclaimed an invisible, yet muffled voice from somewhere noone could see. After a while, they just ignored it, and Shining continued. "Listen, girls: I really do appreciate what you're all trying to do. But I know Mercedes alot more than you do. And I can easily say she has different standards than other mares. That's why i know, general or not, she would love me all the same."

"Then why are you still standing around here, silly?" Pinkie asked. "You should go see her so you can make her happier than she probably already is." Shining flinched in surprise when he realized this, and was about to head out. But before he did, he smiled happily at his mom and dad, and gave them both one more hug. "I'll be back soon. I promise." Once they let go, he bolted for the door. All of them watched him go, feeling quite happy for him. But unbeknownst to any of them, just outside the front door, there was a secret third party who kept himself out of sight, and watched the whole thing. It was a male Griffon with a sandy brown body, and a white eagle's head - none other than Guild Caderousse, who had been spying on the group through the windows. He had moved to the front for a final vantage point before he decided to leave. It took a while before he inevitably came to his destination, which was the entrance to a secluded alley. However, it wasn't the alley itself who was his target..........but the menacing centaur who emerged out of the shadows. His pure yellow eyes gleaming in the dark. [

b]"So? Did you see Dantes?"

"Yes. I did."

Tirek's grin widened into a frightening display. "And did he go mumbling on about his promotion?"

Caderousse flared his wings and feathers in annoyance. "What are you, kidding? He kept going on as if he were ALREADY General!"

"Exactly what I thought. The boy seems far too eager, and in too much of a hurry."

"Well, from the sounds of it, you were right before. It looks like Firrel, and his sister have guaranteed him the position. Go figure."

"And i'm going to assume he was excited about the whole thing."

"He was giddy as a newborn filly. I even heard him talk about offering me money for any sort of debt as though he were a banker. He's gotten way too daring and overconfident."

"WOULD you deny such an offer?" Tirek's arms were crossed over his chest.

"Of course I would." Guild said to the centaur. "Even though I could easily accept it, since I was the one who dropped his first silver coin into his hooves - the first he ever earned, I might add - he has no further need for any occasion for assistance. He's about to become general soon!"

"Relax yourself, Guild Caderousse. He's not General Just yet."

This statement didn't seem to alleviate Guild's concerns, however, and he just slumped. "I honestly hope he NEVER becomes General. Otherwise, based on what I saw, it's going to be impossible just to have a normal conversation with him." Tirek stroked his beard in thought. His own resentment aside, he did see some trouble in Shining Dante's promotion to general. Thus it was something needed to be prevented. Fortunately for him, and idea formed inside his head, which caused him to smirk in confidence. "Don't fret, my feathered friend. If we so choose, then he will remain as he is. In fact......I think there might be a way to make him even Less than he is."

"What do you mean?"

Tirek waved his hand dismissively. "Nothing. I was only thinking aloud. Another question, however: is he still head over heels for that mare of his?"Guild only scoffed. "Like you wouldn't believe, sir. In fact, he'd already just left for her. Except, of course, he doesn't even realize the storm to arise in THAT quarter." Tirek's eyebrow raised up. "What does that mean? Explain yourself."

"Why should I?"

"Because it's more important than you know, Guild." Still, the Griffon was hesitant. "Come on, now......you DON'T like Shining Dantes, am i correct?"

Guild's eyes narrowed. "I don't like upstarts. Never did - never will."

"Very well, then! We have some common ground in that area, at least. Now, if you please, tell me what you know of this mare."

"I don't know anything for certain, Tirek. All I DO know is what I see. And i've seen enough to make me believe, as i said, that Dantes will find some annoyance over Cadenza Mercedes' place."

Tirek's intrigue only grew, as his patience weakened. "Why? What have you seen? Out with it, already."

"Well, you already know Sombra Mondego, of course. Like those ponies, and that dragon, I saw him with the mare named Mercedes. And I could tell he was pretty desperate to earn her favor. Guess he never took the hint with that sapphire ring around her neck." Once more, Tirek held a hand to his chin while he thought. "Really? And you truly believe Sombra has his own feelings towards her?"

"I should hope so." Tirek then leaned down so that he was nearly eye-leveled with the griffon. "And you say that Shining has gone to see Mercedes?" Guild nodded his head in compliance. "He went just before I left." Taking a deep chuckle, Tirek stood to his full height, and began leading Guild Caderousse out of the alley way. "Then let us go in the same direction. We'll stop by, have a nice glass of fine wine, and wait for the news."

"Sounds like a plan........but you're buying the drinks."

Tirek only chuckled sinisterly. "Of course, my.......friend."

Author's Note:

Chapter 2, at your service, ladies and gentlecolts.:D And this may be quite a long one, too.:D
Like in the original story, this is the point in which the transition of power is made. And yet, it's also a point in which I made Fancy Pants into the owner of the shipping firm, Fiiler'. Twilight's the owner, but Fancy manages the business, and finances the oversea military expeditions for their forces in Mareseilles. And, of course, in this case Shining has BOTH of his parents around, just because I felt like it.:) (Also, aside from the mane six being minor characters, Spike's also been aged up for his romantic subplot). And, of course, I rule 63'd Gilda so he could fit the role of the greedy neighbor, Caderousse. Seemed fitting, given pre-reformation, she was unpleasant. Why not just add greedy to the mix, then?:)

The main purpose of this chapter is to who more of Shining Dantes character, and show how pure-hearted he is. Basically, he cares for EVERYONE around him, and is so wonderful and nice that you'd have to be a complete A-Hole to hate him, when he NEVER means to hurt anyone. And if he does find that he might have unwittingly hurt someone in some way, he will feel guilt towards this to the point where he'll openly cry. But he's also generous, and willing to help out when he can. Though he's also extremely optimistic, and cheerful, he can be a bit too trusting, and innocent to the point of naivete'. If he didn't already have a name, i'd call him pony "Snow White". He just needs woodland creatures to accompany him.:D

Also, to see the beginnings of the dreaded conspiracy of evil men begin to spread from the seeds of anger, and hate. Since Tirek fills the role of Danglars, he's the one who instigates what happens later. He's one who gather what info he can, and then begins planning how he can use it to his advantage. That's how he comes up with the plan to frame Dantes when he collaborates with Sombra, and Neighsay. And trust me when I say, the next time we come by, we will see a story told of three wicked beings who plot of the destruction of an innocent man. Not knowing what fate shall one day have in story for them.:D