• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 1,165 Views, 58 Comments

My Little Ponys' The Count of Monte Cristo - kahnac



Betrayed by those he once trusted, Shining Dantes is sentenced to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. But he escapes, and discovers treasure beyond imagining. And now he will use it to exact his revenge. For he is The Count of Monte Cristo.

  • ...
7
 58
 1,165

All this Time, and Hell to your Doorstep

Once the count had finished introducing himself to his "beloved" crowd, and after another round of applause, all had returned to the party being held in the grassy stair yard. Only this time, they would be joined by their illustrious, and already impressive host. The Count himself was quite please by how many showed up. Even moreso when he saw an old, familiar face in the crowds. Both Neighsay, and Cinch cast the count another glance as they stood among the masses. Now was as good a time as any for the count of monte cristo to mingle with his guests. As expected, the Villeforts were the first to introduce themselves to him - though he, of course, played the unknowing host well enough to not know who they were.

"My dearest count." Cinch bowed with respect, as did the count. "It is an honor to finally meet you in the flesh. I am Madame Abacus Cinch de Villefort. And this is my husband, Monsieur Neighsay de Villefort: Crown Prosecutor of Prance."

"It was very kind of you to think of us." Neighsay said respectfully.

The Count merely smiled, bowed his head ever slightly, and said, "Oh, no: it is I who is honored by your presence. For being in the company of one who believes in the law so vehemently, and stands as one of its grandest of sentinels is a rare privilege for one to enjoy. Now please, enjoy yourselves for the night." And he then went out to converse with the other guests. While Neighsay had indeed been flattered by the praise of the Count, both he and Abacus both were still suspicious of this mysterious gentlecolt. "So what do we know of him?" Cinch asked, to which Neighsay answered, "Apparently not enough."

The count, however, was far more curious about another important matter. One he had to speak to Garble Jacapo about. "Is pharynx still on his reconnaissance mission that I sent him on?" he whispered.

"Yes, sir. He should be returning by tomorrow evening with everything you want to know about Count Mondego."

The count's expression then turned somewhat sour as he looked around. "Who I see couldn't even be bothered to make an appearance. I expected Tirek to be too busy with his own affairs, but where is the other one? You DID send out invitations to him, didn't you?"

"Yessir, but......it turns out that Count Sombra Mondego has already retired for the night. His attendants said he had an appointment in the morning he couldn't miss."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Said appointment consisted of engaging in a sword duel with another pony noble. It was VERY early in the morning when the two took their dual to the outside of Mondego's estate. More specifically the hedge garden bordering the forest area of the region. The dual was to be only with two swords, and no offensive magic outside of levitation. Sombra, of course, had no need of his magic, anyway. The fight itself proved that quite well as, while his opponent did indeed put up a decent fight, it simply wasn't enough. Not against the seasoned skills of the dark-furred unicorn who was almost unmatched in the art of the sword. So it was inevitable when the Viscount ended up with a sword through his chest - and possibly through his heart, if not at least close to it. Sombra never even stayed to ensure his death. He was simply satisfied with his victory, and trotted off to his carriage to get back to his estate. Stepping inside, he threw his coat over to one of his attendants, before setting up a morning drink of champagne for himself. At that moment, who should silently come stepping down the spiral staircase opposite the building's second floor but Cadence Mercedes herself.

"You're up early, my dear." Sombra said, quickly noticing her appearance.

"Is.....is the Viscount dead?"

"Not unless his heart happened to be in the right side of his chest, i'm afraid."

Cadence reeled in restrained horror, and regret. "God, give him peace. All he was doing was defending his families honor."

"Fat lot of good that did him. He should've known better when he tried to woo my own wife. All I simply did was remind him that you're hoof was given to me a long time ago, and defended our own honor. Is that really so wrong?" Sombra asked honestly.

"He was only complimenting me, Sombra." Cadence said with a hint of anger. "The only thing wrong is how you think of me as a possession that only you deserve. I didn't need any honor defended by you, or anyone else."

Sombra sighed in annoyance as he went up to the second floor. "How many times do we need to have this debate? You know how much I love you, Cadence. You mean more to me than anything else in the world. And there is nothing I wouldn't do for you. I just don't want to lose you the way you lost Shining."

Cadence shut her eyes as she took in a deep breath. "You and I seem to have alot of different ideas of what love is, Mondego." She then gave him a stern look. "Perhaps when you learn what it truly means, perhaps I can fully reciprocate the feelings you say you have for me. Just..........don't expect it to be anything like what I had with Shining, understand? What we had was-" Her expression pained, and her hoof raised to her chest. "was truly special. And nothing can ever truly replace that."

Sombra, of course, seemed to struggle to hold in a certain emotion following Cadence's declaration. "Of course not." He said with an audible strain in his voice. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some business to attend. I'll see you later." And then he walked out of the room, leaving Cadence to her wishful thoughts. She only wished all that had happened 14 years ago didn't have to happen. At least that way, she wouldn't have to live such a loveless life with a pony who had no true understanding of love. Just a possessiveness he had confused with the aspect, and thus treated her with less respect than Shining had. But......she made her choice, as much as it broke her heart to do so. And now she had to live with it.

As for Sombra, he had just finished tearing apart his private study once again. All because he had to be reminded once again that he was nowhere near good enough for Mercedes. Not like he was, it seems. Even though Sombra did everything he could think of to please her, she still rejected his feelings for her, despite their marriage. And every day, it drove out his anger, and rage......and his sadness. All these things fueled the dark magics he always used to rip apart this room to relief himself. Then he would just sit there in his study, holding his head in his hoof as a few stray tears fell from his eye. Was there nothing he could do to earn her love? Would he ever measure up to the feelings she had for Shining Dantes? Or was he doomed to have his dreams of love wither on the vine?

"Every day a little death - as my dreams of love die."

Cadence herself seemed to share the same emotion. As she ever did on occasion, her thoughts returned to her dearly beloved, lost so long ago. Memories of her love for Shining continued to burn brightly in her mind, and heart. All refusing to let her go. As much as it hurt, and tortured her, she just couldn't let him go. Not her Shining. Stepping out to one of the estates balconies, she began to let her tears fall from her eyes as those eternal feelings ate at her. She hated hurting like this so much, but she couldn't help it. The less love she felt from her husband, the more she yearned for the love she knew was real between her, and her love. It raked across her heart like the claws of a vicious beast, trying to force their way inside of her. It was a torture beyond imagining. But when she pulled out a special something from her dress, which still held fast around her neck, the feeling eased only a little. For every time she gazed upon her engagement ring, made from her own magic those long eighteen years ago on the beach of Mareseilles, it reminded her that even though the stallion she loved was dead, she would NEVER give him up. She would never let him go. Though she would keep it hidden from others, she would never hide it from herself.

She would love only Shining Dantes, even after all this time/

🎵Can a sky be so indifferent
Can what once was true be true no more
Can this life be an illusion
Just an illusion my broken heart can't ignore?

He was gone but not forgotten
In each ocean breeze, he lived again
Can his heart, distant and clever
Be lost forever, be lost forever?

When all this time
All these years
All those nights
Of looking for the star we share
Remembering all of our plans and dreams
Now it seems
It's me that's been a fool for all this time

Tell me no
Say that it's all a lie
And let me go
Back to the hope I yearn For all this time
All these years
All those nights
Of looking for the star we share
Remembering our love's first kiss
But more than this
Give me what's been mine for all this time!🎵

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in rome, it was the night AFTER Shining's introduction party had ended. And now he was in his own room, trying to pass the time with a trio of mares he had hired for a bit of.....tension relief. He really did try to get into it, just to calm his nerves. And the mares were all too eager to please this charming, yet mysterious count.

But try as he may, he just couldn't.

The memory of his promise to Cadence was too strong for him to forget. Even though he thought he would forget, he found he couldn't. His love for her still burned in his heart, and he had no want to betray her with another mare. He was hers in mind, body, and soul. Inevitably, he just had enough, and had the mares sent away. Though disappointed, they did as ordered. And now, he was left to himself. Walking out to his balcony, he looked up to the night sky - desperately hoping that his Little Star in the sky might have come back after all this time of being free. Given all that's happened, he never even once looked up into the night sky. He hoped that this time, he had earned the return of his love's only remaining symbol.

But to his dismay, he found it was still nowhere to be seen.

His head, and ears lowered as his sadness returned to him. He wondered why he was still cursed to have such a fate turned towards him. Why, after finally being free of his enslavement, was he still denied the one thing that gave him a slimmer of hope? Was it a sign of something he overlooked? Maybe it meant his love wasn't as strong as it once was. The notion he hated, and dreaded more than the tortures he endured. How could it be so? Though her name nearly slipped his mind, he never once let go of her, or the memory of how much she meant to him. All he ever wanted was to be united with her. To marry her, and call her his own. And to be hers for all time. Why in all the world would his love for her be as invisible as a star in the sky? The answer remained unclear.As unclear as if she was still alive.....and still as worried about him, as he was about her. However, the knock on the door was clearly enough for him to hear.

"Enter."

Bertuccio entered the room just moments later, and approached Shining as he hung outside the balcony. "Am i here at a bad time?" he asked, with hints of concern evident in his tone. "I saw the mares leaving as I cam, and figured-"

"All's well, Bertuccio." Shining said without much thought. "Just........rethinking of old dreams i once had."

"Ah." Bertuccio said in understanding. "I have a feeling I know what that's like. I had dreams of my own a long time ago......... before things took an unexpected and grim turn."

"Maybe you can tell me about it one day." Shining said, turning to his servant. "But right now I just want to know why you're here now. Has something occurred?"

"Actually, yes: Pharynx has returned from his reconnaissance mission you sent him on four years ago."

Shining could feel his body jolt with anticipation. "Where is he now?"

"Waiting in your study. And.......it appears he's not exactly alone, either."

"..............what?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indeed, Pharynx had not been alone when The Count followed Bertuccio into his study. There, sitting in a guest chair, with Pharynx standing next to it, was a mare that made his eyes almost jump out of his skull. For the mare, at first glance, almost completely resembled his sister. But once he shook his head, he noticed the differences in a lighter fur-color, as well as mane-color and style, and a far different cutie mark than he remembered his sister having. Whoever this mare was, even as sad, and miserable as she looked, was close enough to have been a sister of Twilight Sparkle.

He got over his initial surprise when Garble entered the room, and saw his friend. "Pharynx! How are ya, buddy?" he asked happily, before noticing the unicorn sitting in the chair. "Hang on a sec." He then made pointing motions to the two. "Aaaare you two......?"

"What? No! Of course not!" Pharynx denied, before looking over to the mare with a sympathetic look. "But......I saw that she was all alone....sad, and frightened. I couldn't just leave her in the city alone. And i figured Zata-...i mean, his grace, would be willing to help her out a bit?"

Bertuccio seemed a bit surprised. "You interest me further every time, Mr Pharynx. I always thought that the black changelings were heartless, and had no feelings in them outside of the instinct to feed on love - and whatever else Queen Chrysalis forced you all to do."

"Hey." Pharynx said firmly. "We black changelings might be a bit harder, and more aggressive than the fae' Changelings.... but we still have hearts like every living creature. I guess we were just cursed to need feed on other's love to survive. Course, since I joined Vampa's crew, made friends with Jacapo, and then joined with the count, I haven't needed to feed."

"Yet you still look like this."

"Yeah, well......" Pharynx seemed hesitant to speak about his physical body. "I...have my reasons for looking like this. Just leave it at that, alright?"

Bertuccio decided it was for the best, and turned to Shining, who asked, "So who exactly is it you brought here, Pharynx?" Pharynx then looked over to the mare, as if giving her a que to speak. She hesitate, feeling nervous around the ponies, and dragon. But he gave her a reassuring look alerting her to her safety. It was all she needed to help reassure her. So after gathering herself with a deep breath, she stood up, and introduced herself. "M-my name is Starlight Glimmer. And.......i've been on the run for the last four years." Her eyes fell to her side. "As much as I hate to admit it."

Shining's brow raised. "On the run? What do you mean?"

Another sigh escaped her muzzle. "Officially..........i'm a slave." That got everyone in the room, including Thunderlane, who only just arrived in the room. "I was......sold into slavery for...." he shivered, "providing pleasurable company. That was my life for eight years before I found a way to escape. Ever since then, i've been all I can to avoid getting caught by my "owner"." She grit her teeth at the memory. "Basically speaking, i was living on the streets before Pharynx found me. He said his master, The Count of Monte Cristo, was a generous stallion who would be willing to help me to at least avoid being taken away." She then looked to Shining with a hopeful glance. "Can you?"

Shining appeared uncertain at first. But then he remembered how his situation was similar for him for 13 years - though perhaps worse - and said, "Perhaps..........once you tell me a little more about yourself: how did you come to be a slave in the first place?"

Her expression then grew dark as she remembered that day. "Because of them."

Garble asked who, but was then given a rather startling surprise, along with the rest of his company, in the form of two names none of them truly expected.

"Lord Tirek, and Sombra Mondego!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the climax of the Lunar Conflict of Paris, 12 years ago........

Much of the fighting had died down by now. With the fall of Empress Moon, the remaining Lunar Forces had all lost their backbones, and their will to fight diminished. They continued fighting for as long as possible, but the tide had risen against them. Victory was drawing near for the Equestrian forces. And yet, despite the initial chaos of the warfare, the cities center of power, The Palace of Versailles - the palace of the king - remained overall peaceful. The outside was fortified outside with dozens of guards, and inside were just as many. But also inside, were a pair of ponies who were hard at work in a study-research room. One of them was indeed Starlight, but the other was a stallion of orange, and white fur. His mane was a little unkempt, and messy, and he had obnoxiously large glasses. And all the while, he wore a blue cape covered in lighter blue stars. At first glance, one would mistake him for a wizard. But Sunburst was simply a prized researcher, historian, and adviser to the king - with Starlight Glimmer as his assistant, and friend.

"I got it!" exclaimed as he finished reading a page from one of his spell-books, before turning to Starlight, and the work-table holding a large log, with mixed potions on either side. "Place your horn directly on the potion, and think of the kind of clock you wish to make." Starlight did as he instructed. And in a small flash of magical light, the log was transformed into a cuckoo clock. One which immediately thrust out its bird to toll the time. Starlight giggled with glee at their display of magical teamwork. "That was awesome! What else is on the list?"

"Well, let me see." He then went over his agenda, and his expression lightened with excitement. "Oh! Next, we continue working on Mystic Rings."

Starlight grew surprised. "Mystic Rings? But......aren't those one of the most advanced spells in Equestria? And that's alot of work for somepony like you to do on your own."

"I know, i know." he chuckled. "But this is an important project. Just think: if we were able to perfect the art of opening inter-spacial portals to any part in the world, then we could help out alot of ponies. The sick, and injured could be taken to hospitals without having to be afraid of running out of time waiting for an ambulance. Evacuations could be conducted in a much safer manner. And most importantly: we could dispense soldiers to any place they would be needed, including as reinforcements. While the King himself was impressed by the prospect," he then sighed happily, "it's actually alot more important to me, because I want to help out other ponies in the best way possible. I think this might be that way."

Starlight smiled at her best friend. He was always passionate about his work in study, and research. But moreso at the notion of helping others with his skills. Even without any magical skills like Starlight, he was still one of the most knowledgeable, and skilled ponies in Equestria. "Well.......if that's how you feel, then you know I have to help you out. Come on, then: let's see how far you've gotten with this alchemy of yours." With a smile of his own, he handed Starlight the blueprints for his own progress. She was honestly impressed by what she read. "Oh, wow! I never would have thought to combine Starswirl's apparition spell with Spacium Fleximus." She then got an idea. "But....what if we added in Sombambula's Tempus Subjectus?"

Sunburst stroked his goatee in thought. "Then for this Ring, if we do it just right, it SHOULD allow us to materialize an object that was lost in the past." With that, the two finished up the diagram of the Mystic Circle, before getting pieces of chalk to begin drawing it on the floor. In just a minute, their circle was finished, and they were ready for testing.

"Okay, we have it ready." Starlight said, before asking, "So......what exactly should we materialize?"

Sunburst gave it a few seconds of thought, before he thought of something. "I think I know. Just concentrate your magic on the circle: i'll provide the thoughts for the thing to summon. You ready?" Starlight nodded, and her horn lit up. "Then let's do it!" he said confidently, smiling as his horn also lit up. The two began casting their spell, and giving the Mystic Circle the energy to open a portal. And that's exactly what happened. The white, glowing lines of chalk began to swirl, and spin until they condensed into each other. And a violet, and blue portal appeared before them. Out of this hole appeared something small, and concealed in a bright light. It arose from the portal like a shimmering star. A dazzling spectacle of magic, and light. In the instance after it appeared, the portal itself closed, now that its purpose had been fulfilled. Both unicorns cut off their magic a moment before, and saw the display. The light landed on the now clear floor where the circle/portal had been. And when it receded, a budding flowing the size of a small, jewelry box, with a clock key in its side landed on the floor. Much to Starlight's mild confusion. "Uh.....Sunburst? Why is there a wind-up flower on the floor. I don't remember either of us having a flower-themed music box."

Sunburst only smiled as he picked up the flower with his magic, and began to wind it up. "Because we didn't. This is something alot more special - something I know you haven't seen in a long time." Once he finished, he brought the item over to their table, and placed it down for Starlight to see. The next minute was when she was met with an amazing sight: instead of blooming as a flower, a pony ballerina emerged from the flower, with her petals serving as her tutu. Starlight's eyes widened with amazement - then realization. "Oh, Sunburst!" She gasped. "I remember this: it's that toy you made me when we were younger! But I lost this at some point."

"I know: i remember you telling me." he smiled. "Alot of things I did with you made me happy, Starlight. But making this, and seeing how excited you were when you saw it in action for the first time was worth more than all the books in the world. That's part of why I started this spell."

"You-.....you did this....just for me?"

"Partly, yes. But you were a big part of the inspiration for this. Think of this as my way of saying thanks."

"For what?"

"Being my friend."

Starlight couldn't help but smile happily as she hugged her best friend. "Well, you're the BEST best friend a mare could ever ask for." But the moment was ruined when they heard the sound of loud clamor down the hall. This was followed by the sound of explosions going off. Sunburst made haste to the door to peek outside, and seeing dozens of guards running all over the place. 'W-what's happening?" Starlight asked with concern.

"I-i-i-i don't know!" Sunburst said. Without thinking, he put the toy which had returned to its flower state into his cloak pocket. "But I have to find the King! He might be in trouble!"

"I'm going, too." Starlight said. Sunburst didn't object, since he knew she could take care of them both.Soon, both of them were running down the halls, past the guards and to the throne room. There, they saw the king sitting down on the throne, looking more than anxious. All while being accompanied by none other than Colonel Sombra Mondego. After bowing to him, Sunburst, "King Orion....what's happening? We heard noises, and saw the guards, and-"

"It appears we are being invaded." The king said.

"Invaded?" Starlight asked. "By who? The Lunar Forces?"

"If so, then they'll be dealt with soon enough." Sombra said. "I sent the guards to defend every possible location in the castle. Hopefully, it should be enough to deal with the attackers."

"I pray it is so, Colonel Mondego." Orion said. "However, I have faith you will not let this day fall to our enemies. You have served Equestria, and Prance well. You are good soldier."

Sombra seemed almost humbled by such praise, and bowed in respect while smiling pleasantly. 'You give me great honor, your highness." But then his expression changed to neutral. "Makes what happens next a bit more tragic." The king, and the two unicorns gave him a questioning glance, unsure of what he meant. But the next thing they knew, the doors to the throne room had been broken down........and a garrison of Gargoyles lead by Commander Grimmwing stomped into the throne room. Much to the utter shock of King Orion. "Commander Grimmwing?! What is the meaning of this?!"

"Perhaps you should ask the Colonel, "your majesty"." Grimmwing mockingly said, while he and his troops laughed.

Suddenly, the King felt a stabbing pain in his back, and he let out an audible gasp of pain, which drew Starlight and Sunburst to his direction. Both they, and Orion looked back in horror to see Sombra's horn ignited with Dark Magic, as the pegasus saw the blade sticking into his back, and heart. "M-mondego?" The king gasped. "Why?" Sombra said with no emotion, "All i'm doing is completing a favor for a friend." He then let the king's body fall to the floor, with the blade plain, and clear for all to see. While the unicorn pair eyed the body of their dead king with abject horror, Sombra cast a spell he had only cast once before - on his old, dead friend, Shining Dantes: black crystal grew out of the pair's horns, and negated any attempt at casting spells. Thus leaving them absolutely helpless against the treacherous Colonel, and his Gargoyle allies.

"Not bad, Sombra." Grimmwing complimented. "Your skills for deception trump even the spirit of chaos, and changeling queen. If you hadn't sent the guards to the farthest parts of the palace, this invasion wouldn't have been so easy."

"You'd be amazed what a few sound effect spells can do." Sombra said. "Now, I believe Lord Tirek has what he desires?"

"Indeed." The grizzled Gargoyle said, staring at the amber-furred unicorn, who looked up at him with a frightened gaze. "Now, we'll take this little unicorn, and be on our way, for now."

"W-....what?" Sunburst asked timidly. "B-but....i don't understand! What do you want with me?!"

"You'll find out when you meet our lord. For now, you're coming with us!" All of the Gargoyles approached the scared unicorn scholar, who couldn't even move because of how scared he was. But what few expected was for Starlight to jump in front of him, and attempt to shield him from the abominable Gargoyles. "Noone's getting anywhere near my friend!" She exclaimed, glaring at every one of the Gargoyles. And they actually seemed imposed by her glare, even with her horn infested as it was. All except Grimmwing, who gave here a glare of his own before he sprinted towards her, and kicked her in the chin. She was sent hurtling towards the throne at terrible speeds. As such, she crashed right into the large seat on the wall, and broke it to pieces before she fell to the ground in a stunned heap. "Starlight!" Sunburst exclaimed in worry. But before he could even run after her, he was grabbed around the neck by Grimmwing. As the spectacled unicorn struggled in his grip, he eyed the lavender unicorn with disdain. "One of you get over there, and kill the filthy nag." Sunburts eyes widened in horror, and he shouted in protest as he tried to help his friend. But he watched helplessly as two of the gargoyles approached her with their spears raised, and ready to impale her through her heart, and neck.

"NO!" Sombra said, pushing the two back with his magic, and saving her life. "This one's mine to deal with. I'm sure I could make quite a profit out of her while removing a potential witness." He looked over to Grimmwing. "Any objections?"

Grimmwing only sneered. "I could care less. Just as long as she's dealt with. Just bear in mind that Lord Tirek will remember what you've done for him. He never forgets his friends."

"Just tell him my debt to him is paid, now." Sombra said. "I'm sure we'll have an opportunity for discussion later."

"As you wish. Company: move out!"

All the while, Starlight had been struggling to hold onto her consciousness, in hope of saving her friend. But her body was weak, she felt a few ribs had been broken, and she could feel her head in excruciating pain. As the Gargoyles left with their captive, who continued calling out to her in fear, and worry, her world soon began to grow black. As the darkness fell, a tear fell from her eye as she mumbled the name of her only friend. And maybe even more.

"S-...sun...burst............"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And the next thing I knew, he was gone. When I woke up, I was in a slaver's market, being sold for the most degrading purposes. That was the last I ever saw my friend to this day."

The ponies in the room stood silently in quiet shock. This indeed was a heavy revelation that none of them ever expected to have learned on this day. But in their hearts, they always knew there was something odd about the untimely death of King Orion. And without any other witnesses to testify, it was the word of both Grimmwing, and Sombra that could be taken into account. But given how bad things were once Tirek seized control, it was absolutely no surprise he orchestrated the King's death - they just never expected such an established unicorn as Count Mondego to have been a part of it.

Except for Shining Dantes, that is. By the time Starlight finished her story, he already deduced, based on the knowledge he also had from his friend Morrel, that Tirek had Sombra murder the king so he could take over - in return for making the latter both a General, and Count. He always did have admiration for the high-class way of life. But he felt no sense of betrayal, or anger over this information as his subordinates did.

All he felt was satisfaction, knowing he had information he could use against two of his biggest enemies.

But either way, he was not so obsessed at the moment, nor so heartless as to turn a blind eye to this traumatized unicorn. Approaching her, and then taking her hoof in his, he gently said, "Well, don't worry anymore, Starlight. If your captors should ever come looking for you, I will see to it they will never have you, again. Noone deserves to be made a prisoner because of the actions of those who were once so trusted. I swear you are safe with us."

Starlight gave him a hopeful look as she asked, "Do you really mean that?"

"You have my word as a Count, my dear." he then turned over to bertuccio. "Prepare to have this young mare brought to one of our guest rooms." Then turned back to Starlight. "I only hope you're willing to earn your keep as you live here - nothing extreme, or abhorrent as you went through. I simply require at least another attendant to serve as part of my staff. I promise you'll be payed VERY handsomely for your services - especially if your skills in magic are as good as you say." He then smiled graciously. "Have we got a deal?"

Starlight took a moment, before smiling lightly. "At this point? Anything's better than being a slave. So....yeah. I guess so."

"Then go, and rest, for now." Shining said kindly. "There's alot I wish to learn in magic, and you're arrival is just the break i need." He then looks to the others. "The same goes for the rest of you. We'll have alot to do later. Now go." Everyone in the room bowed a little, and went on their way, with Bertuccio leading Starlight to her new quarters. But Shining wasn't done with one of them. "Pharynx." The changeling quickly turned around to face his boss. "You stay. We aren't finished discussing the OTHER business I had you perform in Paris."

"Oh, right!" Pharynx realized. "Sorry, your grace. In the unexpected excitement from Starlight, I almost forgot. Please forgive me."

"It's alright." Shining said dismissively. "Now finish up your report."

"Okay, well......." Pharynx gave it a minute to think it over, before he said, "There's not much else to say. Everything you were told by that Morrel pony checks out. Even that sleaze, Caderousse, wasn't lying about it: Tirek Danglars is the ruler of this whole country, and Prime General of the Equestrian Military. Just like Neighsay Villefort is Crown Prosecutor, and that Mondego pony is a Count, too. Stuff i'm sure you already knew, but now it's official."

"Indeed." Shining said, merely processing, and analyzing this information for his personal use. "We still have to discover what Neighsay has hidden from plain sight." When Pharynx inquired, Shining said, "Isn't it obvious? As we discovered with Danglars and Mondego, everyone has a deep, hidden secret to paint them in a thick, black veil. Even one such as Villefort has skeletons in his closet. All we have to do now is find ALL of their secrets, and exploit them. Expose their weaknesses, and humiliate them. Ensure all their worlds crumble around them before they suffer a fate worse than what I endured. With Starlight's testimony, we could potentially expose Tirek, and Sombra. We just need to learn more. Combine whatever evidence we gain of Neighsay, and damn them for all time with it before-"

"Eh, your grace?" Pharynx interrupted nervously. "I-....I really hate to bring this up when you're getting so worked up, but..... that's not all I have in regards to information - specifically relating to you."

Shining cocked an eyebrow in confusion. "What do mean?" His patience, however, grew thin as he noticed how reluctant Pharynx was to speak. "Come on, spit it out! What else is there?"

Pharynx sighed sadly. "It's....the mare you said was your fiance', Cadence Mercedes. She's in Paris, too."

Shining's eyes almost jumped out their sockets from how widely they opened. Even his mouth was wide enough to hold even a melon at its current length. But how could such an expression not be present? For what his servant told him was beyond words for how he felt. A myriad of emotions ran through him, from shock, to amazement. Then to abject happiness as a smile began to form. "M-.....Mercedes? Alive? Are you sure?"

"Yes, your grace. I've not only spoken with others, but i've even seen her in Paris. She alive, and safe. But also, she-"

"YES!" Shining laughed, rising out of his seat, and swinging his hooves through the air as though he were an excited colt receiving his favorite toy for Hearth's Warming. his coat seemed to grow a little brighter as he laughed with such happiness, and relief that Pharynx felt himself growing full on the love the stallion was radiating. But that only made his feelings all the worse for what he was about to say. "I knew it!" Shining exclaimed. "I knew she was alive. She's the strongest, and bravest mare I ever knew. Heh. For all the grief I give about "god", it seems whoever runs the universe has answered my prayers." He laughed again in excitement. "Sweet Celestia, I can't believe it! She's alive, just like i'm alive! Now we can be together again, after so long. I can only imagine her surprise when she sees me. But that'll just make our marriage all the more fulfilling."

"I'm sorry, sir, but........she already HAD a wedding, previous."

"What?" Shining asked, stepping out of his excitement to notice Pharynx speaking. "What was that?"

Again, Pharynx struggled to put it to words. But he did so, anyway. "She........she isn't your fiance' anymore, Zatarra. She's already married."

Those three words. Those words alone were enough to once again make Shining's world shatter as though it were made of glass. The light, and happiness within him almost died instantly as his color faded to an even darker shade then previous. His ears fell to his side as his eyes dilated in fear. Yes, fear exactly is what he was feeling. As much as it ached his heart to find his mercedes had married another instead of him....it was WHO she married that was his greatest concern. "Who?"

"Sir?"

"Who is the husband?" he asked in a low, almost threatening tone. "Who did she marry?"

Even greater reluctance, followed by ever growing fear of what this info would do to his comrade, and how he would react to it, crept down his backside. He had no way of knowing the next few moments. And though he was a strong warrior.....he was afraid of destroying the heart of the pony who he considered as close a friend as he did Garble Jacapo'. But, of course, there's no point in being afraid of the inevitable. "Let's just say that i've heard from others.....that she...goes by the name...... of Lady Cadence Mercedes Mondego."

Shining stood there, staring at his changeling cohort in silence. All of the world stood in silence in anticipation of our dear Count's emotions. His eyes closed shut, showing how hard he was holding back what he felt. Then, in a haunting, anger-laced, and contained rage whispered, "Get. Out. Now." As much as he wished otherwise, Pharynx didn't waste a single second of doing as he was ordered. As soon as he said that, Pharynx could feel the all-encompassing fury radiating off of him. It almost had him suffocating from all of the negativity which would kill mos changelings. So, if anything, it was more to protect himself, than anything. But it was good that he did. Because as soon as he left, Shining unleashed his fury on everything in the room, as his heart-broken, blood-curdling roar of fury escaped from his body, and echoed throughout the house.

And all of his allies stood outside as they heard the destructive commotion inside their leader's office. All of them had little hope of doing anything for him. So all they could do was solemnly leave, and hope the Count didn't notice any of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less than half an hour later, and Shining's office looked as if an enraged ursa minor had torn through it. Papers were all over the place. Furniture had been tossed across the room, and a few shattered on impact. The walls had scorch marks from Shining unleashing his magic on anything, and everything. And there, in the center of it all was Count Shining Dantes himself. Breathing heavily as his suit was partially as unkempt as his mane. His breathing had begun to slow to a steadier pace as the rage died down. He was already beginning to calm down, hoping the rage had died.

But in the end, all he actually felt was an emptiness in his heart.

"How could she?" he said in a broken voice. "I thought.....she cared for me. Loved me." A small tear fell from his eye. "How could she do this?! We promised to always be there for each other! Didn't hat mean anything to her?!" Once he finished screaming, his expression narrowed to one of outrageous anger. "Or was I just being an idiot.........for thinking that she loved me enough to wait for me?" Then he slammed his hoof on the ground. "How long?! HOW LONG DID IT TAKE HER TO MOVE ON, AND FORGET ME?!" An angered growl escaped his muzzle. "Sombra. First you betray me, and work with Tirek to lock me away - and now you destroy any semblance of love I once held. Or should I say: you just showed me that love is only imaginary? Just like the God that Scorpan always went on about, it was never real. NEVER real!"

Yes, in the end, her love was no different from any other: fleeting, and worthless. She, Sombra, Tirek, and Neightsay - and now Guild - had dealt him blows worse than any stone, blade or hoof could ever inflict upon him. All of them were bloodthirsty traitors. And none must ever suffer a traitor to live. So with a fiery determination, and a hate unlike any he had felt before, he made his decision right there. "I want to make all those who wronged me suffer in ways I never considered. I want to destroy them in every conceivable way possible, but spare their lives so they may suffer like I suffered. Only their suffering will surpass mine by an infinitesimal degree as I carry Hell to their doorsteps! All of them will rue the day they earned the wrath OF THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO!"

His mind was then concealed by a world of Darkness. And then, jets of crimson flame erupted at the bottom of a huge, stone stairway. At the very top, stood the silhouette of Shining - or rather, The Count of Monte Cristo. Peering down at the craggy earth below before racing to the bottom. His face covered in an insidious, hate-filled scowl as he began to imagine the unspeakable horror he would soon unleash on the objects of his hate.

🎵The world is a place where the villains wear a smile on their face
While they take what you can never replace
Stolen moments gone forever

A ruthless smile crossed his face. Just imagining the arrogant, confident expressions of his enemies, thinking they all had it made. Before they would be incinerated by the fires of his hate. Only Tirek, and Guild escaped such a fate as they fled away from the Count. The Count who only smiled, like a predator playing with its prey.

Well, tables can turn as my enemies will soon enough learn
I will strike a match and then watch them burn
On the pyre of obsession

The pair was rather quick to halt in their tracks when the earth below them turned into a beach of gold. Coins as far as they eye could see spread across the land, sparkling in the greedy eyes of the two figures. Until the shadow of The Count fell over them. Then their ocean of gold turned into a might waterfall which threatened to overtake them. But while Tirek was spared, Guild had indeed been overtaken - and buried to death in a mountain of gold.

You run 'till you drop, chasing on advantage
You'll pay any price if you think it's free

The Count cornered the dazed centaur in his confused, and satisfyingly intimidated state. As The Count's form darkened in the hellish light of the flames, Tirek could only cower at the unholy abomination he had unwittingly created. The Count could care less what he felt, or thought. Seeing the centaur's fear was his pleasure.

I will carry hell to your doorstep; I will make you pay
You will reap the hate you've sown on my judgment day
Sleepless nights and days of damnation
Soon and evermore
I will bring the Chateau D'If knocking up on your door

Before he could react, Tirek was enveloped in the aura of The Count's magic. A fiendish grin crossed the unicorn's face as they dangled at the edge of a cliff - before he released Tirek to fall to his demise. However, there was worse than a sheer drop waiting for Tirek at the bottom. And before he could even hope to escape, a demonic beast erupted from the earth, and devoured him whole. Just as The Count appeared a distance away.

And love is a lie swearing that no matter what it won't die
Disappearing like a star in the sky
In the hot light of morning

He felt his heart tear as he imagined Cadence, her once warm expressions replaced by cold, unfeeling eyes. The symbol of just how dead her love for him was. And his newfound anger for her made her ghostly image disappear into a phantom-like smoke. Soon replaced by dozens of other mares circling around him, for the intent of giving him such great pleasures. But he was not truly concerned with them. For Neighsay Villefort was now in his sights, and ready for punishment.

But what do I care?
There are women to be had everywhere
First there's retribution I must prepare
Mighty vengeance is mine

The Crown Prosecutor seemed unsure of where his surroundings were. He was in a complete panic, and wondering what he should do. Then, a shimmering light appeared in front of him, revealing to him a massive book. One which contained infinite knowledge of Equestrian Law. He seemed to beam at the sight of it as he sprinted to it, and desperately opened it. All he wished was to read this book, and nothing more.

I have a nice show that will tempt you onward
And just when you're sure that the prize is yours

But said book ignited into flames, before being completely stomped into ashes by The Count as he landed. Once again taking immense satisfaction in the fear he saw in the Unicorn's eyes. Yet his suffering was only just beginning. The Counts hooves slammed into the earth, and created a fissure of flame which went straight over to Neighsay

I'll deliver hell to your doorstep dressed in rich facade
Then, I'll burn you to the ground like an angry god

From the inferno emerged dozens of black, think, spindly hands with razor-sharp claws on each finger. All reached for the Crown Prosecutor, and grabbed every inch of his body. All his legs, his neck, and his horn were bound, and held firmly despite his struggles. The rest simply dug into his hide, drawing blood from his body. And as The Count smiled maniacally, they dragged the helpless, and burning Unicorn into the fiery chasm as the flames consumed him. His hoof was the last to disappear before the fissure swallowed him whole, as well.

Once you're in my shining cathedral heed the tolling bell
It's the final sound you hear as you descend to hell

All the remained was Sombra Mondego, who seemed inconvenienced as he wondered where he was. Then he was forced to cover his face as an angelic light threatened to blind him. He was in immediate shock as he saw The Count hovering to the ground as said light shone from behind him as a pair of wings made of his own magic "flapped" behind him. The Count then got real close, and threateningly personal. This was far more than enough to terrify the black-furred unicorn. Especially as he looked into The Count's eye, and saw that mad gleam which said "i want to make you suffer before you die". And as expected, he attempted to run away.

Fall down on your knees
Fall down and let me hear you pray
Fall down on your knees
'till I can hear you bargaining, scheming, begging and screaming to pay

But The Count would have none of it as he grew to the size of an Ursa Minor, and loomed over his quarry as though he were an unholy god casting bitter judgement against the traitor.

I will carry hell to your doorstep; you will rue the day
You will reap the hate you've sown no matter how hard you pray

And like a cat does with a mouse, The Count played with his own prey: threatening to stomp on him, but never actually stepping on him. Just ensuring he knew what fear was as his life hung in the balance. That soon came to an end when the very ground rose from beneath Sombra, and began to raise him up to The Count's chest. Even when he tried leaping off, another ensured he made it up to the towering unicorn. The one who only spat his spite, and venomous words of hate to his former, currently terrified friend. The Count felt such exhilaration from this terrible game of chase. Making his enemies feel so weak, small, and helpless was something he couldn't get over. Something he didn't want to. This is how it would be when he finally cut down his enemies. They would experience this same feeling before reaping what they had sown.

It's a place without any mercy, fashioned in cold blood
Stones of fear and stones of doubt
No forgiveness, no way out
Only justice
THEN, AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

And then The Count crushed Sombra in his hooves like an insect. The mad glee, and twisted smile staying on his face, even as he returned to reality. There was much to do......and only so much time to do it.

Author's Note:

Welcome to chapter fourteen of "My Little Pony's The Count of Monte Cristo"

And I am EXTREMELY sorry for taking so long in making this! Alot of other things kept me occupied from this, and I ended up sidetracked. And yet, fortunately, I ended up finally getting this done, and out there for you guys. I only wish I didn't end up taking so long in the process.^^;

Alot happens in this chapter, basically speaking. And all of it centers around how Shining Dantes completely converts himself into the role of The Count of Monte Cristo, and becomes dead set on seeing his vengeance through to the end. Only now, he has too more to add to his vendetta list, which includes both Guild Caderousse......and now his own love, Cadence Mercedes. Or at this point, Cadence Mondego, who she married as a way to keep stability in her life. As in the original story, theirs is again a loveless marriage both are unable to mend. However, it's not as black and white as in the other stories. Here, Sombra's love for Cadence is genuine, and he wants to earn her affections. But let's just say his nature's changed a bit since he betrayed Shining. So the result is him being a possessive stallion who doesn't truly understand how love works.

And his relationship with her suffers for it. Just as she, day by day, suffers through this misery she had found herself in. Her only comfort is every time she gazes upon her wedding ring - which if you'll recall, she swore never to remove from her person in order to prove her love for Shining still remains. And it does......but even she struggles to hold onto it, just because it grows too painful for her to bear as time goes on. But she does bear it, because of the small part of her that hopes beyond hope that maybe Shining IS alive, somehow. And that somehow, they can be together again.

Too bad Shining doesn't know any of this, and genuinely thinks she moved on from him, when they promised to always be there for one another. In his bitter, and cold state he thinks the worst of her, and now wants to make HER suffer, as well. And unfortunately, as he is now, Shining is dead set on making everyone who betrayed him pay. NOTHING will stand his way.

However, as Starlight herself unknowingly explained, there may actually a far greater plot at play. But what exactly is it? And why does it include Sunburst? Well, the next chapter should actually explain some of that - or at least the meat of said plot. And, of course, will be the reveal of Lord Tirek.

Who, I might add, has had a few alterations to his appearance since we last saw him.:)