• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 23,169 Views, 1,274 Comments

My Little Earth: Humans Are Special - Skyler Walker



A botched viewing spell has sent Twilight Sparkle to Earth and into the care of Kyle West.

  • ...
52
 1,274
 23,169

Chapter V: The Internet Is For Ponies

Again I say, thank you for all the reviews. I hope to deliver more good stuff to all of you, so let us begin.

Also, shout out to Demon Eyes Laharl and his fic Gentlemen For Mares. It might be clop, but it's damned interesting sex or not.

----

All fell to the swarm.

The hive was life. Let the might of the swarm and the overmind wash over the puny Terrans! Let not bullets or machines or weapons stop the quest!

Purge!

Destroy!

Consume!

Expand the creep, for it is life!

Expand the hive, for it is glorious!

And as the master watched his minions consume his foes he let off one last sickening taunt.

“Lern too play gam you loosser!”

----

Twilight’s eye twitched at the words on the screen as her Terran faction lost it's online match to 'KrnSwarmKing89' and his Zerg. Finally she issued her own rebuttal.

“Learn to spell.”

----

“It's a game.” Kyle said as he watched Twilight pout on the couch, knees pulled into her chest.

He was somewhat thankful she was wearing a skirt while doing this as it exposed a pleasant view of her pink panties.

He also wished she'd stop flashing him her pink panties as it was somewhat awkward.

“The guy was a total jerk. I mean, sure, I'm new to Starcraft but, really, did he need to--”

“Twi.” Kyle said, cutting her off as he raised a palm, moving to sit down in the chair. “Most of the guys playing it are good people, but some tend to... Use the anonymity of the internet to be worse people than they really are. Add to that the facts that games like Starcraft tend to have a few elitist around, and, well...”

“I get it...” Twilight groaned. “It was like at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Chess was a big pass time and the better players tended to... flaunt their skills. One time I got challenged and lost to one of the better players in the school, Fortress. She really beat me hard in that game. Rubbed my face in it for about a week.”

“So, what did you do?” Kyle asked, leaning on the armrest as he listened.

“Well, I went to the library, borrowed a number of books on chess, read up on it and challenged her a couple weeks later. She had been flaunting that she beat Celestia's personal protege and more than a few other faces she beat. She smirked as we started the game but after not to long I got her. Used a rook to checkmate her king trapped behind her pawns. She had a breakdown.” Twilight said, shaking her head. “Then again, her cutie mark was a rook chess piece, but still....”

“Ouch. Still, can't say she didn't have it coming.” Kyle replied. “Anyway, why don't you play the single player? Maybe it'll flesh out your skills a bit.” He said before heading to the kitchen. “Tacos for supper!”

“Okay!” Twilight replied, getting up and going back to the computer. As soon as she sat down a thought hit her. “What's a taco?”

----

“I really can't believe what kind of video games you have here.” Twilight said, herself and Kyle sitting at the kitchen as she put shredded cheese over her taco meat. “I mean we also have them, but what we have is closer to your, I think you called it the '8-bit era'?” She offered, frowning in thought as she dropped diced tomato onto it next.

“From what you told me of Equestria I wouldn't think you'd have the concept of video games to start with.” Kyle replied, taking a bite into his own. Once the bite was chewed and swallowed he continued. “I mean you guys don't have cars, computers or radios, but you have video games?”

“Yeah, I'm not sure how they're made either. It requires specialized magical abilities though, no computers.” Twilight admitted before picking up her own taco, taking a bite into it. She made a pleased groan as she started to chew the offering.

“Maybe when you get back you can give them concepts to fill in the gaps.” Kyle said, chuckling softly at her reaction to biting into the taco.

“Yeah, I know.” Twilight said, before taking her next bite. She idly wondered how that computer came to be.

Now that had the makings of a new letter.

x---x

Dear Princess Celestia

One of the biggest differences between Equestria and Earth is the level of technology. One of humanities most prominent and influential inventions is the computer. It's somewhat hard for me to just say what a computer is, there's no true analog in our own society. However it could be considered a distant descendent of your sister's invention; the abacus.

The abacus was a simple apparatus made for counting and was the best assistance humans had until a man called Charles Babbage created a mechanical device that was designed to count numbers once imputed. One could refer to it as the first calculator, another human invention designed to solve math problems.

From there the first computers came into shape around the time of the Second World War. It filled up a room and was used to break enemy codes. I really need to focus on that war sometime.

Like most war invented technology the peace time benefits eventually came. Around forty years ago the first home computers began showing up for purchase. These early systems where used for video games (Much like our arcade games) word documents, math problems and storing information. As time went on the computer became more and more evolved. They could store more information, generate better graphics and sound and gained more uses such as assisting with art and design.

Around 20 years ago one of the most revolutionary pieces of technology became available to the general populous; The Internet. The Internet is used to connect computers, but not in the same room of a single house. A computer on one side of the world can receive and give information to and from one on the other side of the world.

The best way to sum it up how fast this can be is to reference Spike's dragon flame. Using it Spike can send a letter to yourself, or anyone with a significant magical signature, nearly instantly. The Internet would be like everypony having the ability to use dragon flame to send a letter to anypony else, regardless of where they may be. However as time went on more and more information could be sent at a time. Moving pictures called 'movies' and entire libraries worth of books could be sent over the Internet from one computer to another. You can also use chat rooms to talk to people half a world away. At first these chats only used text, but now they can send images and sounds. Two humans can look and speak to each other, no matter how far away they are.

Humans also have online gaming. Yes, humans can play games over the Internet as well. In fact there is a subset of online games called the Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game or MMORPG. These are imagined worlds that humans, using avatars, can interact with creating warriors and heroes to play as, playing with and against each other. In fact the largest and most well known, World of Warcraft, boasts over ten million players. People can make friends with people from so far away, it's almost unreal.

Recently I've been playing a game called Starcraft, and played online against other humans. It's been... interesting. Starcraft puts you in the role of an unseen general directing the forces of the human based Terrans, the alien warriors Protoss and the insectoid Zerg. Each side has unique units and buildings to use and employ different strategies. It's simple enough to start playing, but as I've found out it is very complex and requires forethought, adaptability and knowledge of all units in the game.

Other games I've seen so far include first person war games, fighting games pitting two characters against each other in a one on one fight, simulation games that makes you build cities or farms and platformers not unlike The Mighty Momo Sisters.

Oddly the game Super Mario Brothers bears an uncanny resemblance to that game.

In fact the video game industry on Earth eclipses the games on Equestria in terms of sales, graphics, sounds and even complexity. Opposable thumbs and multiple fingers makes it a lot easier to use controllers with ten or more buttons. And handling tools and objects, more so than hooves and mouths.

Currently I plan on practicing Starcraft in between bouts of working out the details on how to get home. I've hit a roadblock, but I'm sure I'll overcome it again.

I am coming home. I will see everypony again.

Signed Your Faithful Student

Twilight Sparkle

x---x

“Twi, word before bed?” Kyle asked as he knocked on the door to his Aunt's old room, now Twilight's.

“It's open.” Twilight called out, as Kyle opened the door. He could see her in the corner, Starcraft playing on the monitor of the computer as Terrans and Zerg warred.

“Anyway, I'm off Saturday, you remember, right?” He began, moving to sit on the bed.

“Right, it'll be a lot of fun I bet!” Twilight said, pausing the game as she turned to face him, smiling. “What do you wanna do? We can play board games, or video games, or, oohh! Oohh, oohh! Read history books!” She let off, clapping her hands together as Kyle shook his head.

“Actually... I was thinking of taking you out and showing the town to you.” He replied.

Twilight's eyes went wide as she gulped softly. She knew it would come at some point, just not so soon.

To see human civilization, first hoof.

Err, first hand.

----

I Do apologize for the long wait. Among other things I had an issue with a Vista Stage Update 3 Loop. That's been fixed, but I'm still upgrading to Windows 7 soon.

Yes, with Windows 8 coming out I'm upgrading to Windows 7. I'm only slightly behind the times.

Oh yes, and to everyone and everypony, HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!