• Published 14th Aug 2018
  • 1,567 Views, 59 Comments

The Station - Corpse



Most people look up into the night sky, without a care in the world, thinking "Today's night is pretty beautiful", never to realize the number of deaths and tragedies that occur in space... What would it matter to them if one more tragedy occured?

  • ...
3
 59
 1,567

The Incident (edited)

"Words"
"Communication through an earpiece"
AI, Borgs and Robots
*Foreign*


Nanotrasen controlled space, Epsilon Eridani sector, NSS Cyberaid, 2562 8th of February 12:47

"Is the engine safe?" asked Captain Joseph Anderson, his slightly tan skin glistening with sweat under the bright artificial light of the station.

"Yeah, but the damn nut jobs tried to get in," came the chief engineer's response.

He silently sighed in relief, and cursed just how flawed the Nanotrasen job application system was, at least something was going alright. And to top it all off, none of the crew where harmed.

"Captain!"

"What is it?"

"The cultists are-!" then everything went black.


A few hours earlier

"Sir, it appears that Centcomm have sent a message to you."

Still reclining on his chair, he slowly got back up, popping a few places as he did so. "Could you read it out to me please." he asked, his gold colored ID card clipped onto his shirt.

"Ahem," came the slightly computerized vocals, being programmed to imitate a few human tendencies, so as to work better with the crewmembers... or at least that is what they said when he was first sent to work here, which was about a month ago, so he had no idea why he still remembered that.

"We here at NAS Trurl must commend you and your crews breakthroughs in recent times. While we would love to ask you how you can research so many things at the rate you are going, we must inform you of some rather concerning news. Our sensors have been able to detect abnormal amounts of Bluespace fluctuation, coming from YOUR station. We highly suggest you inform the Head of Security and inspect this, goodluck Captain."

Once the Artificial Intelligence finished, he sighed and hoped that it was nothing.


Equestria, Dodge junction, Shimmering Star's home, 1156 AC 20th of June 02:32

Tonight was truly something, the stars where absolutely beautiful, Princess Luna absolutely outdid herself today. Although the falling stars did confuse me for a bit, the Princess probably just wanted to surprise her little ponies.

Well, guess it's time for sleep... but, just a few more hours wouldn't hurt.


Unknown space, Unknown sector, Unknown planet, 2562 9th of February 01:25

There was only darkness.

Nothing happened for quite a bit.

Am I sleeping? But it hurts, you can't feel pain when sleeping... right?

Wait, I can open my eyes... AH! That is way too bright...

Everything is so white, even when my eyes finally adjusted to the brightness, along with a major headache, it did not feel great, plus being jostled around so much did not help... wait, is this a stretcher? Why would I be on a stretcher?

What the hell happened?

I can't really remember anything while being this tired... just need to close my eyes for a second... But I can't sleep now, I have to stay awake.

But, just a few minutes of sleep wouldn't hurt, right?

15:42

Oh man, my head hurts... what did I drink yesterday.

Beep... beep... beep

That beeping is gonna drive me nuts, what kind of moron uses that kind of ringtone anyway?

My eyelids where really heavy, so opening them was a lot harder than I thought.

What greeted me was NOT what I was expecting. Instead of the roof of my personal quarters, or even the bars iconic wooden ceiling, all there is are white tiles. After a second of staring, I tried turning to my side, only to be greeted by a monitor showing my heartbeat.

What in the world?

Trying to sit up hurt quite a bit, and in the end I regretted my decision.

I was covered in bandages, all the way from my chest to (presumably) my legs, since I had a blanket covering my bottom half. What happened?

Then it hit me like a runaway speeding truck, how could I have forgotten? Those fucking cultists... They posed as crewmen and tried to summon a 'god', even though there was no such thing, it was evident that they did have some kind of powers, the last thing he remembered was the A.I trying to tell him something, and now he's here.


Barrett Grain (Chief Medical officer)

This was pretty nerve-wracking, the medical department was too understaffed. Even the medical cyborg couldn't keep up, it was evident that at least some of the crew wouldn't make it out without some rather serious injuries. And to make matters worse, the security officers couldn't find the cultists since the A.I was too damaged, and a few of the crewmembers where still missing.

Getting up from my chair, I saw my office was in shambles, the crash landing certainly did a number on things, it was a miracle I only got a few cuts.

Going outside, i saw the newly crimson colored hallway of medbay, most likely from the doctors running around like headless chickens, dragging their patients along with them

I wondered if the Captain is awake, time to go and check and make sure he's stable.

Walking through the corridor of the medical bay, I head towards the fifth patient room. As I peered through the window I saw the face of a man around his late twenties with a pretty messy brown hair, staring at his bandaged body with a confused expression on his face.

Even after opening the airlock, he didn't seem to notice, or simply didn't care.


"Are you feeling alright, Captain?" asked Barrett, his calm voice betrayed by his slightly scrunched up face.

Slightly startled, Joseph jumped in bed, causing him to feel a bit of pain. "Ah fuck, that hurts... I'm pretty sore."

"I see, but anything else?"

"This doesn't really have anything to do with my physical injuries, but what happened? I can't remember what happened that well,"

After a bit of thinking, he replied "Well... it seems like the cultists where right about their god."

"Heh, nice one, but what really happened?" after a minute of waiting for a response, Joseph asked "Hey, that was just a joke to make me feel better right?" not ready to accept such a big revelation. But, judging by Barrett's face and the fact that he was well known for his somber mood, told him otherwise.

"I'm afraid not Captain," replied Barrett.

"But wait, if that's true, then why aren't we died?" asked Anderson. "From their crazy preaching it seemed like their so called 'god' was a genocidal maniac."

"That's the thing, after it was summoned, everyone, even the cyborgs lost consciousness or shut down, and when we came to, we were stranded on a completely unknown planet with no support, and currently all the departments are arguing with each other over what we should do," he explained.

After the initial shock passed, he said "Shit, this is bad... could you give me a status report?"

Barrett replied "Sure, I'll be right back with the report" before walking out the airlock.


15:58

After a bit of waiting, Barrett returned with some wrinkled paper and Josephs earpiece.

As soon as he handed the paper and earpiece to him he started walking away.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I'm going to help some of my doctors with the critically injured patients." he replied.

I nodded in understanding before looking towards the piece of paper. The amount of injured people there is was staggering, of course most of them where only slightly hurt, but still.

Out of the 75 man crew, 11 were critical, 30 were mildly battered, 3 were MIA and the rest only had small cuts and bruises.

And of the 8 cyborgs, 2 of them were mildly damaged, but it was nothing the roboticist couldn't fix.

Looking at my earpiece, i decided to stick it on my ear and turn it on, it was a bad idea.

"We need to be careful! We can NOT send an expedition! We should be making a base far away from the station, any kind of creature can come sniffing our station out, came the booming gruff but paranoid voice of the Head of Security, Geoffrey Conan.

"You misunderstood me, i just said we need samples of the local wildlife, of course we don't need to go out right now, but after more of the crew gets better, we'll need to understand our surroundings. This planet is amazing, the resemblance to Earth is uncanny, minus the lack of pollution even the atmosphere is similar to Earth!" came a slightly more cheerful feminine voice, belonging to the Research Director, Cali Wallick.

"We could simply use the station as a base as well, the walls can easily protect us against monsters, and the bigger ones can simply be killed by using our weapons," replied the more calmer voice of the Chief Engineer, Michael.

"Guys, after the Captain wakes up we should make him decide, in the mean time let's not fight each other" said the most inexperienced of them all, the Head of Personnel, Kevin.

Well, seems like it was time for me to make the big decision.

"Hey, are you guys ok?" I asked, trying to make the atmosphere less tense.

"Cap! Glad to finally hear from you," said Cali, her voice still cheerful.

"Sir, we have to create a plan for our survival," replied Conan, not nearly as happy as happy as she is.

"Well, I'll cut straight to the chase then. I think we should stay put on the station, as Mike said, the station walls should hold, but at the same time, i say we should make a perimeter around the station, it doesn't need to be high, just about height enough so that local life can't get in, and have Security officers on the wall take turns taking watch. After this is complete we'll start doing expeditions to better understand this world. How does that sound?" I said.

in response there was a chorus of "alright's" and "ok's".

"Then it's settled, go inform your respective departments on the plan's and start working," I ordered enthusiastically, things where finally looking up for the crew, and he was going to swear on his life, that he will protect every single man and woman on this ship to the best of his ability and return them home, he'll make sure of that.

Author's Note:

Did you know that there is a phobia of workplaces? It's called Ergophobia

Now that I have your attention, let's talk about this fic, it's just a fun project i started just so i could keep working on it, hopefully i can reach it to 100k.

If you want a character you made then just post it in the comments, i might use em!