• Published 26th Jul 2018
  • 2,800 Views, 758 Comments

Down With the Pastryarchy - kudzuhaiku



"When the revolution comes, who will be the first against the gingerbread wall?"

  • ...
23
 758
 2,800

Chapter 27

The third day of the competition, but not technically the last day. A closing ceremony was planned for the day after and this was going to be the final closing ceremony. The big goodbye. The grand finale. The final chapter, or perhaps the epilogue. While endings were sometimes inevitable, Twilight had plans and good intentions—the very best and finest of intentions. She had high hopes.

Only one baking event would be held today for the contestants, the final one, and that would take place in the afternoon. For the morning, however, there was a baking discovery event for foals; an opportunity for the next generation to discover a love of baking. An event that offered up a chance to find a cutie mark. Twilight was required to attend and to sample the various creations of the little ones. During this time, Twilight suspected that the celebrity chef judges would be debating and settling the special show ribbons to determine this year’s big winners.

But facing the day meant getting up out of the bed, which was an absolutely dreadful idea. Twilight, flat on her back, formed the bread of a Pinkie Pie sandwich, along with Seville. Of course, at any moment now, Pinkie would go shooting out of bed, unable to contain her own energy, but this moment was lovely while it lasted. Applejack was already up and about, and Bundt had reluctantly crawled out of the bed so she could go potty.

“Twilight…”

“Yes, Pinkie?”

“There’s something you should know.”

“What’s that, Pinkie?”

“The juniour bakers events routinely give ponies food poisoning. We’ll be here for you.”

“What?”

“We’ll be here for you.”

“No, that first thing. Food poisoning?”

“They’re still learning, Twilight. It happens. Say… do you remember Applejack’s baked bads? When she was a sleepy, tired, silly pony?”

From the other room, Applejack’s voice could be heard: “I’m not a silly pony!”

“Hey, Twilight… can I ask you a personal question?”

Twilight, resigning herself to certain intestinal disaster, replied, “Sure, why not? We’re friends, right?”

“Are alicorn sphincters strong enough to hold back the worstest cases of the squishy-squirts?”

Staring up at the ceiling, Twilight did not respond right away. There was a grunt from Seville, which sounded a bit like the sort of grunt a pony makes when they attempt to swallow their own laughter. Pinkie’s leg shifted and Twilight felt the fuzzy appendage slide along her tummy—as well as other unmentionable places. Electric tingles danced up and down her spine and she hoped the pleasurable friction of movement would continue.

“Quite the opposite is true,” Twilight replied, slipping into science mode to protect her own mental state of well-being. “Alicorn gut muscles are such that everything is evacuated from the body with far greater force. Absolutely destructive force, in fact. Uh, forces greater than fire hose pressures, I suspect. Throwing up has become quite an experience.”

“Neat.” Pinkie Pie grinned. “Just imagine what morning sickness will be like!”


Eager little faces possessed smiles full of sunshine. Less than half an hour ago, the gleaming kitchen space had been spotless—utterly spotless. Now, it was a Category Five Disaster Zone in need of a hazmat certified clean-up crew. Earth pony adults guided earth pony foals through the difficult, intricate tasks of baking. Parents cheered from the sidelines, hooting and hollering while stomping their hooves. There was no point in crying over spilled milk, but you could say “Ew!” when stepping in it.

Twilight had but one imperative: use no magic.

No saving anything when it fell. Messes were left untidied. No magical assistance could be offered. Eggshells that made their way into food could not be removed. Nothing could be done, no assistance could be offered. She had been informed that she could not use magic to eat her food, either. Her job was to sit, observe, and sample food, along with celebrity chef, Mulia Mild.

It occured to Twilight that she hadn’t watched many cooking movies.

Pinkie Pie loved cooking movies, and Twilight, being a busy mare, seldom watched movies at all. Perhaps this needed to change. When she got home, she’d have Spike pencil some movie time into the schedule. Seville too, would have to change his schedule; time would have to be found because he was often in Canterlot, working. In fact, Seville was one of the few ponies as busy as Twilight, which presented a major source of difficulty when they were trying to get together.

Twilight wasn’t sure where Pinkie was at the moment; no doubt she was busy preparing for her final dish, whatever that dish might be. Seville was working, listening to the stories of others, their inspirations, their triumphs, and no doubt, their failures. Applejack, a helpful sort, had gone off to assist Bundt in the command center. A strange friendship of sorts had blossomed between the two of them and this filled Twilight with a relieved sense of happiness, because she liked when her friends were friends with one another.

“Majesty?”

Turning towards the sound, Twilight saw a timid-looking pegasus with apologetic eyes.

“You’re needed in the command center. Miss Buttercream sent me to fetch you. We have a crisis developing.”

“A crisis?” Twilight felt a hot prickle just as a painful tightness circled her ribs. “But I just fixed a crisis. Why is there another crisis already?”

The pegasus shrugged.

“That’s a rhetorical question.” Wincing, Twilight wished the tightness in her barrel would go away. “I’ll be right there. In fact, I’ll probably get there before you do. Would you like for me to take you with me?”

In response, the pegasus gave her head a frantic shake.

“Suit yourself,” Twilight said just before vanishing.


A pall had been cast over the command center and Twilight felt it right away when she materialised in the middle of the room. Applejack was mid-sentence and the apple farmer was spitting out a stream of peculiar, agricultural vulgarities that would have greatly expanded Sumac Apple’s vocabulary, had he been present. Ponies—some of which had worked in porn—appeared shocked by what Applejack was saying.

With Twilight’s sudden appearance, the room fell into gradual silence.

Seville was here. Why was Seville here, in the command center, and not out reporting? It seemed as though everypony was hesitant to tell her what was going on. Had somepony died? Was the bake-off cancelled again? Had an accident taken place that had left somepony maimed or mutilated? The parade of question marks continued through Twilight’s head while she waited for somepony to explain what was going on.

“The papers…” With these two words, Seville summed up the situation.

Grinding her teeth, Twilight thought about just how much she hated the papers.

“Uh, Twilight… some things got said. Not nice things. Some really bad things.” Applejack’s mood shifted from angry and profane to sad and apologetic. “On top of that, we’ve had three of our celebrity chefs up and quit on account of what was in the papers.”

“Things blew up in the worst way possible,” an earth pony mare said to Twilight. “You were accused of engineering a crisis and subsequent blowout here at the bake-off so you could drive Miss Blintz away and take over the bake-off for your own nefarious purposes. They’ve cooked up an awful narrative that includes everything from wasting taxes, to corruption, to favouritism. There are accusations that you did this so that you could help your friend Pinkie Pie win the bake-off. It pretty much paints everything in the worst possible light.”

“And three of our celebrity chefs don’t want the stink of scandal on them, so they left. They said this had become damaging to their public image and their careers, which are heavily dependent upon their public image.”

“Yeah. One said they never want to work with royalty again, ‘cause you’re all scandal-magnets.”

“And then,” Applejack muttered, her green eyes stormy, “there’s the accusations of tribalism on account of how you’re wasting taxpayer bits on an earth pony bake-off, which you seem to have nationalised, and everypony is speculating on the hows and the whys for what’s been done.”

“One story suggests that you’re exploiting earth ponies for entertainment purposes, kinda like how the unicorns used to do in those old minstrel shows.” Unable to look Twilight in the eye, the meek stallion dropped his gaze to the floor.

“Then there are the stories of responsible Crown spending and how we have so many things that need funding, but you spent a bloody fortune on a show for earth ponies that nopony cares about. That one hurt a bit. I’m a unicorn, and I care about what is happening here.” Standing up straight, the unicorn managed to look Twilight in the eye for all of about five seconds before averting her gaze. “As a unicorn, I am super embarrassed and ashamed for my tribe’s reactions to this… for a lot of things, actually. I don’t agree with anything my tribal representatives had to say in the papers.”

Twilight’s mouth opened, the room went quiet in anticipation of whatever might be said, but no words came forth. Not a one. With a click of her teeth, Twilight’s mouth closed and then she stood there, making a valiant effort to control her breathing. The backlash was far, far worse than she had anticipated. She had dared rear her head to do the right thing—and then this happened. Sweat poured down her neck and it felt as though searing hot iron was being pressed against her skin.

“Most of this stuff just isn’t true—”

“That doesn’t matter,” Seville snapped.

“How could the truth not matter?” the interrupted mare asked.

“The truth has never mattered. All that matters is what the public wants to believe. And with the press poisoning public opinion every day, the public is ready to believe anything that fits the established narrative. The wound left behind by Mister Mariner still festers.”

Seville sounded every bit as angry and anxious as Twilight felt.

“Twilight has her own school,” Seville continued, “and the media portrays it as a factory for indoctrination. Celestia too. Little foal-soldiers raised up to fanatically support their tyrannical rule so this oppression can continue unabated. This is the narrative created.”

“What a load of malarkey!” a stallion shouted.

“And yet ponies believe it to be true!” a unicorn mare hollered out in reply. “My father certainly believes in it. He insists that Mariner was a hero… a pony of the people. The Deliverer of the Earth Pony Tribe. He’s made a shrine to Mariner and does nothing but spout his ideals. My father and I don’t talk anymore. He insists it’s ‘cause I’m a tribalist, and he regrets having me as his daughter.”

A tendril of chaos wormed its way into Twilight’s heart.

“But… but… but you’re here helping us earth ponies with something truly near and dear to our hearts… how can you be a tribalist?” a confused earth pony stallion asked.

“I work very hard to bring us together, and my father works just as hard to tear us apart.”

“Enough!” Twilight shouted and her voice was like a thunderclap. “Can the show continue? Can we finish?”

“Our celebrity judges are deliberating right now,” Bundt replied, giving Twilight a fearless look in the eye. “I promised that we would respect their decision, no matter what it was. It would be awful of us to ruin their careers. If the rest of them wish to cut and run, I think the show will be over. So everything hinges upon their decision.”

Scowling, Twilight hoped that the worst wouldn’t happen, while preparing for it all the same. This might very well end, and it was outside of her control. It felt as though she was being roasted on a spit and she began feeling faint-headed. She stomped over to the water fountain, mashed the hoof-pedal down, and had herself a long, long drink. Not so much to slake her thirst, but more of a desperate effort to get cool because these anxiety hot flashes were downright unbearable.

“Twilight”—Seville’s voice was gritty with anger, or perhaps rage—“this problem can no longer be ignored. You and I both know how I feel about a free press, but this has gone on for far too long. Something has to be done and if Celestia won’t do it… maybe it is time for somepony else to step up and do something.”

“My father says that the first shots in the coming revolution will be a direct assault upon the press. The truth-tellers, as he calls them.”

Unable to respond, Twilight closed her eyes, pressed her head into the fountain, and allowed the cold water to splash against her face. It was cold, but not cold enough to do anything about the sensation of imminent spontaneous combustion. When her face was soaked, she pushed her head in a little further and allowed the frigid water to drench her ears. When Twilight pulled her sopping wet head out of the fountain and stood dripping on the floor, she heard a familiar voice speaking.

“We’ve had our discussion and we’re staying. Gustave just wants to go back to sorting out which dish gets which recognition.”

“I think I speak for everypony when I say that we’re all very appreciative of your choice,” Bundt said to Arroz.

“We’re not making anything better by quitting. Gustave believes in what Princess Twilight is doing… and I suppose I do too. Anyhow, we have a lot of sorting out to do.”

Relieved, Twilight heaved a sigh while Arroz Amandine trotted off back down the hall. For now, the worst possible outcome to this crisis had been averted. The show would go on. But that wasn’t to say that everything was fine and good, no. Twilight, raw from everything that had happened, still had a show to run. She had no time to wallow in her own misery, to deal with her own anxiety. For now, all she could do was grin and bear it. To stuff it all down inside and keep going.

There was still a lot of princessing left to do.

Author's Note:

Why, it's enough to drive a princess to drink.