• Published 25th Jul 2018
  • 6,128 Views, 557 Comments

Rainbooms and Royalty (New) - Trinary



Rainbow Dash's first Sonic Rainboom garnered her plenty of attention—including from Celestia, who made Rainbow her student! A re-imagining of the events "Friendship is Magic" (New version!)

  • ...
5
 557
 6,128

Chapter 13

Rainbow Dash’s wings flared as she pawed the ground, her blood going to a sudden boil. Celestia was gone and standing in front of her was the reason why. “You—you're going to pay for what you did!”

Nightmare Moon tossed her head back and laughed. “Such arrogance! Who are you to threaten me, foal?” Her eyes widened in recognition, fangs gleaming as she smiled. “Ah yes, I remember you: Rainbow Dash, my sister’s foalish little pupil.”

Just saying Celestia's name coming from her mouth was enough to send a lance through Rainbow's heart. She hurled herself at the dark mare with a growl, only for her hoof to stop short of Nightmare Moon’s face. She struggled but couldn’t budge an inch, her whole body encased in a magic aura.

The Nightmare looked down at her. “Attempting to lay hoof on royalty is treason,” she coldly warned before casting her gaze across the chamber. Her brows creased in a frown, and Rainbow felt her magical grip tighten as she looked back to her. “Where is Celestia? I can feel her presence; I know she was here. Where did she go?”

Pain squeezed Rainbow’s heart but she kept her voice strong. “She’s gone. It took her less than ten seconds to completely thwart your plans before you even showed up.”

“Thwarting my plans?” Nightmare Moon scoffed. “I doubt that—” Her eyes widened and she tossed her head, sensing something. “So, that’s her little game. She thinks she can keep the sun in place by joining with it? Fool!” She gestured to the ruined window and the darkness outside. “My night still holds sway! I can handle whatever lingering resistance the sun offers at my leisure.” She snarled. “I’m more outraged that after denying me my birthright, my throne, and my freedom, she even denies me my revenge!”

Her eyes blazed in a rage. With a howl born of pure anger, she unleashed her fury upon the now empty room, reducing the furniture to splinters. Rainbow hoped to take advantage of her distraction, but she found that she still could do little more than wiggle in place.

After a few moments of wanton destruction, Nightmare Moon stopped to catch her breath. It was only then that she seemed to remember Rainbow Dash’s presence. “Ah yes, but let us waste no more time on the dusty old past.” She looked Rainbow over, still struggling in her magic. “My sister’s prized student.” Rainbow shuddered. From the grip of her magic to the look in her eye, everything about Nightmare Moon was cold and lifeless.

“I’ve watched you for some time, you know.” She flicked Rainbow’s mane with her magic. “Your dreams were most … enlightening.”

Rainbow Dash felt her entire body grow hot and cold all in a matter of seconds. What had she seen in her dreams? Possibly everything: every thought she had for how to stop Nightmare Moon, every fantasy, private thought, embarrassing memory, all her secret wants and desires … Rainbow wanted to throw up.

The mare of darkness chuckled at her obvious discomfort. “It’s nothing worse than anything else I’ve seen in the minds of thousands of other ponies. They were very vivid, at least.” Her smile turned cruel. “I can tell you, it was nothing less than a delight for me after a thousand years of exile to know that my sister’s sense of humor remained unchanged. The most bull-headed, intractable, unimpressive dullard in all of Equestria … of course she would choose you to be her protégé! What a joke!”

“Shut up!” Rainbow barked. “That’s a load of horseapples!”

“Come now, how can I be mistaken when I’ve been in your own head?” Sharp teeth glinted in a nasty grin. “The mare who cannot perform her precious Rainboom, who even after all these years is out of her depth in Canterlot—and we both know you have no actual idea how to stop me. In your darkest dreams you know the truth, no matter how much you try to deny it. Now Celestia is gone. You failed her because You. Are. Not. Worthy.”

Rainbow clenched her jaw so hard, it hurt. “I’m going to buck you right in the dark side of your moon!”

With a toss of her head and a flash of her horn, Nightmare Moon sent Rainbow hurtling through the closed door. She sailed out into the main hall just in time to hear Ponyville’s Mayor announce, “…the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria: Quee—my word?!”

There was a shocked gasp as Rainbow went careening into the refreshment table, which broke upon impact. Her vision exploded into stars.

“Rainbow Dash!” She faintly heard somepony—or perhaps ponies—calling her but it sounded like she had cotton in her ears. Reaching up to check, she found it was actually cake frosting. Shaking her head she then looked up to see her friends and recent acquaintances looking down at her with varying expressions of concern and worry. Several of them were offering hooves to help her up, but she pushed them all away. “Shining Armor?” she grunted in a daze. The others stepped back to allow the captain of the guard access.

He knelt down beside her. “I’m right here, Dashie. What happened? Are you okay? Where’s Queen Celestia?”

Swallowing a bitter lump, Rainbow looked down. “Gone.”

Shining Armor’s eyes went wide. “What do you mean gone? She left?”

Rainbow shook her head slowly. She didn't want to say the words. Saying it would make it final.

“What happened?” he urged. “What’s going on?!”

Rainbow Dash pointed to the balcony where Queen Celestia was to appear—only now it was occupied by Nightmare Moon herself.

“Oh, my beloved subjects,” the Nightmare crowed. “It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little sun-loving faces.”

“What did you do with the Queen?!” Shining Armor demanded. His horn began to glow menacingly as two pegasi guards flanked him on either side.

Nightmare Moon chuckled. “Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?”

Rainbow faintly heard Pinkie Pie going on about something, but she wasn’t listening. She was glaring up at the Nightmare so intently, another pony might’ve thought she could strike her down with her mind.

Shining Armor’s face looked carved from stone. “Where is Queen Celestia? Answer me!”

“Celestia is no more. I am your Queen. The true queen you always should have known, before my lying sister stole what was rightfully mine! Now, bow before Nightmare Moon!”

Startled gasps and cries tore through the assembled ponies. “Never!” Shining’s horn shimmered and a pink sphere was conjured, trapping Nightmare Moon inside. The pegasus guards flew up and maintained position on either side of the bubble. “I place you under arrest in the name of—”

Foals!” Nightmare bellowed. Her ethereal mane and tail enveloped her, filling the entire sphere with opaque mist. Soon the sphere started to strain and, despite all of Shining Armor’s efforts, it shattered. Once again Nightmare Moon stood revealed, her usually teal eyes white with magic. She conjured up lightning from the dark clouds that issued from her own mane and tail and wielded them to deadly effect. The two pegasi guards were struck and sent hurtling down to the ground where they lay unconscious.

Pandemonium reigned. Terrified foals cried for their parents as ponies tried to rush for the door, only to have them magically sealed before they could escape. Fluttershy’s bird chorus panicked and flew this way and that, huddling in the rafters. Fluttershy herself was frozen in place, covering her head and trembling.

Shining Armor focused and sent out a beam of magical energy straight at Nightmare Moon. She swatted it aside with ease.

“Shiny! Run!” Rainbow Dash called. But Shining Armor stood firm, summoning a shield in front of him with his magic. The lightning cut through his shield as if it weren’t there and struck him dead on. With a pained yell, the brave guard collapsed, smoking.

“Shining Armor!” Rainbow and Twilight called out as they charged forward to check on him. They breathed a sigh of relief when they saw him stir. The wounded stallion groaned but was unable to climb to his hooves.

From above, Nightmare Moon regarded the terrified ponies below. “Are there any others who would challenge me?”

Silence reigned until the sharp cry of a foal broke out. The dark queen glared at the source of the noise: a little filly sobbing fitfully. Dinky! Rainbow realized with horror. Derpy, seeing the monster’s attention being drawn to her daughter, did what any mother would. “You stay away from my muffin!” Derpy cried, flying up in an attempt to distract Nightmare Moon.

“Derpy, don’t!” Cloud Kicker shouted, quickly following after her.

Rainbow took to the air just as the two were struck down by more lightning, falling to the floor in a heap. A surge of anger ran through her, one so intense she could barely hear the panicking ponies below. But one sound did cut through.

Mommy!

It was Dinky, wailing as she tried to run to her mother’s side, held back only by the rush of the crowd. Cloud Kicker’s little sister, Alula, had no better luck.

Seeing her friends in a crumpled heap brought her right back to the loss of Celestia. Rainbow gave a wordless cry of rage and hurled herself straight at the dark tyrant without even being conscious of having made the decision. Nightmare Moon snorted derisively—right before Rainbow’s hoof solidly impacted against her cheek. Rainbow grinned fiercely, but her surprise blow did not even cause Nightmare Moon’s head to turn. She was soon bound again with magic, regarded like an interesting bug that had flown up to the Nightmare's face.

The wicked mare held her aloft. “Behold Rainbow Dash—the student and protégé of Queen Celestia.” Rainbow couldn’t help casting her eyes over to where Applejack and the others were gathered.

The farmpony’s eyes widened as she repeated “Queen Celestia’s student? Rainbow Dash?”

Pinkie whistled. “Oooh … I bet her tests are really, really hard!”

Rainbow winced. There it is then.

“Let her fate serve as an example to those who would oppose me!” Nightmare Moon's eyes shimmered.

Rainbow Dash tensed, waiting for something horrible to happen. It did but not in the way she expected.

Chancing a quick glance, Dash saw the dark mare’s focus was not on her, but on the crowd below. Derpy and Cloud Kicker floated upwards like marionettes on strings, still unconscious. Fluttershy started to be lifted as well, thrashing about in a panic. A pegasus Rainbow recognized from flightcamp named Blossomforth, one of Derpy and Cloud’s coworkers, leaped in to help. She managed to pull Fluttershy back down, but was soon enveloped in Nightmare Moon’s magic herself.

If Nightmare Moon noticed the substitution, or cared, she gave no sign of it.

An extension of her dark mane and tail swirled around and enveloped the three pegasi. Rainbow struggled and the crowd looked up with sheer terror. When the cloud drew back, in place of Derpy, Cloud and Blossomforth, there were three pegasi with bat-like wings. They wore purple and black uniforms with gold tinted goggles that were a cruel parody of the Wonderbolts uniforms. Their eyes glowed with malice as they flew under their own power, circling around their master.

“These, shall be my minions.”

Rainbow felt her jaw drop. “Guys?” Ice shot through her veins. “No … do you hear me? It’s me, Rainbow Dash!”

Derpy Doo, or at least the mare who now stood in her place, regarded her with an impassive sneer. Nightmare Moon smiled cruelly. “I don’t think she recognizes you or that name.” Turning to her minions she asked, “Tell us, who are you? What is your purpose?”

“Align and advance,” Blossomforth hissed, flying past Rainbow Dash on one side.

Advance and attack,” said Cloud Kicker as she passed her on the other.

Derpy Doo smiled wickedly. “Attack and destroy.”

As one, all three proclaimed, "Destroy and rejoice!"

Derpy bowed her head to Nightmare Moon, followed by her two companions. “We are the Shadowbolts!”

Anguish and fury warred for dominance on Rainbow's face. As if seeing her friends being transformed into whatever they were wasn’t horrific enough, Nightmare Moon had to go and pervert the name and image of the Wonderbolts too. No chance that wasn’t deliberate. But even that thought was soon drowned out by the rising torrent that swirled in Rainbow's head. Celestia was gone, her friends were captured and nothing she did even fazed Nightmare Moon. This wasn't how this was supposed to go!

Nightmare Moon laughed. “Wonderful! And now, for my captain.” Her eyes turned white once again and a large white unicorn started to float up in the air.

“No!” Twilight cried. “Shining Armor!” Her horn flashed purple as she tried to tug her brother back down to the ground. “You can’t take him! Let him go!”

A bolt of lightning struck the ground right in front of her, knocking Twilight back and breaking her focus. “Who’s going to stop me?” Nightmare Moon asked. “You? Obviously not. How could you ever hope to contend against your betters when you can’t even control your own magic?” For some reason, those words seemed to hurt Twilight more than the lightning bolt had.

Soon Shining Armor hovered before Nightmare Moon. She cast an evil look at Rainbow who was struggling with all her strength to break free. “Say farewell.”

“Let him go!” Rainbow struggled. “If you don’t I’ll … I’ll…” She grunted, trying to think of an appropriate threat.

“What will you do, little pony?” Nightmare Moon chuckled. “Squirm helplessly? But I am a merciful queen. I’ll spare your little … friend here. You need but ask. Nicely.”

Dash gritted her teeth so hard they threatened to break. “Let Shining Armor go … let them all go. Please.”

“I don’t believe you really mean it,” decreed the mare of darkness. “Do these ponies mean so little to you? Go on, beg! I want to hear you grovel.”

Rainbow Dash felt hot tears of helpless rage and humiliation build in her eyes but she refused to give her the satisfaction. She had to clamp down on the urge to scream and curse this thing until her throat was raw. But with her friends at stake she forced herself to choke out. “Please … let Shining Armor and the others go. I’ll do … whatever you want.”

Nightmare Moon tossed her head and laughed. “Ah, but that’s the problem you little foal. Right now, what I want is to crush that fiery spirit of yours. To watch Celestia’s student crumble before me. It would be foal's play to kill you, but why do something so simple and crude when I could wound you far more deeply? A fitting example for all Equestria to see.” She dismissively tossed Rainbow Dash against the wall. The back of Rainbow’s head exploded in pain as stars spun in her eyes. She dimly saw Nightmare Moon envelop Shining Armor just as she had done with the pegasi as he too was transformed. Dash heard Twilight’s screams and protests as Applejack held her back.

Shining Armor’s hair and coat turned dark blue, almost violet, and his armor changed colors to match his new master’s. His eyes shined the same color as the Shadowbolts’ goggles and he bowed as Nightmare Moon deposited him next to her on the balcony. The Shadowbolts joined them.

Narrowing her eyes, the new ruler of Equestria looked down on Rainbow Dash. “You have lost your teacher, your friends, your place and your pride. I have taken everything from you.” She looked back to the ponies below her and raised her voice. “If anypony dares oppose me again, you will envy her fate. Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!” She cackled, lightning striking. Her mane and tail billowed as it surrounded her and her new minions.

With a whiff and a puff of purple smoke, they were gone.