• Published 4th Aug 2018
  • 10,225 Views, 519 Comments

One Castle, Two Alicorns - James Pwyll



When Twilight and her friends return home from their camping trip in the Everfree, they're shocked to discover an unexpected intruder

  • ...
18
 519
 10,225

A Difference of Opinion

Ever since Midnight had first started living at the Friendship Palace, Starlight had been wary of her. She didn't fear that she would attack her or anything like that, but there was just something about her that was simply off to her. The way she would stare out for long periods, the way she'd avoid talking to other ponies. She was just so unlike the Princess Starlight had come to know that it often took her aback at just how unnerving she was. Today was no exception to this, as Twilight's student looked to her mentor's double, who was, for now, sitting quietly outside the palace, looking out at something that had caught her interest. Starlight had only just left the place herself, and was only now noticing her, but as soon as she did, she at least tried to put on a friendly face.

"So, Midnight. You doing okay today?"

The doppelganger gave her only the slightest of glances.

"I'm fine, thanks for asking."

As usual, the words were blunt and to-the-point, but it was probably the most tempered she'd been with her thus far. Still, Starlight had little time to focus on that, as she instead looked over to what Midnight had been so transfixed by. There, far away from the palace, was a group of colts and fillies. Three of them, all earth ponies from the looks of it, were standing in front of a smaller unicorn filly, with the latter of which looking decidedly concerned with something. She had, in her hoof, an ice cream, and one of the larger colts pointed to it. What they were saying to her, the two mares couldn't make out, but it was clear that it wasn't a good situation, as shown by Starlight's depressed-sounding sigh.

"You know, I'd have hoped that living so close to the Princess of Friendship would teach local ponies to be nicer...but I guess we're always going to get moments like this every once in a while."

Midnight narrowed her eyes.

"...Bullying?"

Starlight nodded in response, and the two of them watched as the filly, after having apparently been given some harsh words by her compatriots, gave her ice cream to them, which was eagerly seized by the largest of the earth pony children. The group moved away soon after, leaving a very unhappy-looking filly behind them. Starlight sighed to this.

"I guess that's a few more children I'll have to squeeze into my counselling sessions."

Midnight looked to her.

"You plan to talk to them?"

Starlight nodded.

"Yeah. We'll talk to the bullies about how wrong it is for them to have done that, and I'll also have to console the filly. She's probably not feeling too good right now."

A moment passed, and then Midnight frowned.

"I think we can do far more than that."

Before Starlight had the chance to ask what she'd meant by that, Midnight's horn glowed, and within seconds, she was gone, having used some kind of teleportation spell. Frantically, Starlight looked around to where she might have gone to, and it wasn't long before she figured it out. She had gone straight over to the bullied filly, causing Starlight's eyes to widen.

"Oh no!"

She charged forward, terrified over what might be about to happen. This was the first time since her arrival that Midnight had spoken to anypony outside of the palace, and as such, Starlight's mind raced with all sorts of dark possibilities. But, she did remember that this was a mare who bore the same face as her mentor, and that fact, above all others, caused even greater fear, given how these yet-to-be actions might be perceived. As for Midnight herself, she confidently strode forward, speaking up and gaining the filly's attention.

"You there!"

The filly turned, and looked on with shock at who was now approaching her.

"Oh! Princess Twilight? I didn't see you there."

Midnight frowned at having been mistaken for her original, but put that irritation aside, instead pointing an accusing hoof at the child.

"Would you care to explain what just happened?"

Realising what she was talking about, the filly hung her head in shame.

"Yeah...they've done that a couple of times. I don't like it, but..."

She trailed off for a moment, then looked back up to the older mare.

"It's fine. They didn't hurt me or anything."

But Midnight wasn't happy with that response.

"That is exactly why I'm here, girl."

The filly wasn't quite sure how to take that tone.

"Um...I'm sorry?"

Midnight glanced off in the direction the other children had gone off to.

"Those delinquents will get a talking to, you mark my words. But..."

She looked back to the child before her.

"...I want you to tell me why you didn't do anything to stop them doing what they did."

Naturally, having words like that come out of the mouth of someone with the face of Princess Twilight took the filly aback quite a bit, and she stumbled greatly.

"I...erm...I'm not sure what you mean."

Midnight sighed.

"You simply let them treat you like that. You let them take something from you and you did nothing to stop it from happening!"

The filly was, understandably, flustered by this.

"Well...I asked them to stop. I told them it wasn't nice!"

Midnight rolled her eyes.

"And they went ahead in spite of your words, didn't they?"

Again, the filly hung her head.

"Y...yes."

Like before, Midnight pointed her hoof to her.

"You should have fought them!"

To that, the filly's head snapped back in Midnight's direction.

"What?!"

Midnight nodded.

"You heard me! You should have defended yourself from what they were doing!"

The filly stood there, mouth agape, and as soon as she'd recovered from the shock of hearing something like that, she once more fumbled her words.

"But...but...but...there were three of them!"

In response, Midnight pointed to the child's horn.

"And you have magic. You have a power they lack. I assure you, their size and numbers would have meant nothing in the face of a unicorn's self-defence."

The filly seemed somewhat upset by this particular brand of advice.

"But...that's mean!"

Midnight scoffed at that.

"Oh, sure, you're the mean one for protecting yourself against bullies. How could I have forgotten that?" she said sarcastically.

Thankfully for the filly, she didn't have to try and counter that point with Midnight for much longer, as it was right here that Starlight finally arrived, prompting a raised eyebrow from Midnight as she saw her.

"Pardon me, Starlight, but the child and I are in the middle of something here."

Now, Starlight was quite unhappy about this so far, but instead of talking to Midnight straight away, she put on a fake smile, forcing a laugh and looking to her in a jovial manner.

"Oh, you silly Changeling! You know better than the play tricks on little fillies like this!"

Instantly, Midnight scowled at her.

"...Pardon me?"

The words had been spoken calmly, but Starlight could hear the ice behind them. But for now, she looked to the filly.

"Don't you worry, little one. This isn't really Princess Twilight. It's just a Changeling pulling a trick. You know the real Twilight wouldn't tell you to do things like that, right?"

Though at first confused, the filly gave a slow nod afterwards.

"Yeah...okay."

The child then frowned at Midnight.

"You're a tricky Changeling! That wasn't nice!"

And with that, the filly ran off, leaving Starlight and Midnight to watch her go. As soon as she was out of earshot, however, the dark clone glowered angrily at her unicorn companion.

"I very much hope that you know I don't like being compared to Changelings."

Normally, Starlight would have been intimidated at having Midnight speak to her like that, but right now, she had a far more pressing thing to focus on.

"And I don't appreciate you giving terrible advice to children! Especially when they might think it was Twilight herself who was saying it!"

Midnight raised an eyebrow.

"And what, pray tell, was the 'bad advice' I was giving?"

Starlight chuckled dryly.

"Do I really have to spell it out? You told that girl she needed to use violence to solve her problems! How is it a good idea to have children fighting one another?!"

Midnight rolled her eyes.

"You're acting like I was telling her to go out and punch anyone she comes across. All I said was that she needed to defend herself against her assailants."

Starlight pointed to her.

"We never give advice like that, Midnight! Violence is never the answer to our problems!"

Midnight took on an amused look as she regarded her.

"Says the pot calling the kettle black?"

Starlight grimaced to that, then softened and let out a sigh.

"Yeah, you're right. I have used violence myself. More times than I care to think about."

Her eyes narrowed.

"And I regretted each and every one of them in the end. I never realised that an open hoof could be more powerful than a shot from a horn. When I did finally accept that lesson, I looked back over my past acts and saw them for what they were...misguided."

Midnight listened to all of that, but continued to remain unconvinced.

"Well, it's a good thing that girl had me here to tell her something useful. If it had been left to you or the Princess, all she would have been told is that trying to be friends with her bullies is what she should want. Hey, maybe they can one day reminisce about the time they took her ice cream from her, wouldn't that be fun?"

Starlight seemed offended by that mocking tone.

"What, you think we're giving them bad advice? Friendship is kind of our job, Midnight!"

Midnight nodded.

"Yes, it is. And yet you seem completely unwilling to accept that there are some people out there that won't accept that friendship. People that will just ignore kind words and just do what they want."

Starlight shook her head.

"That's not true!"

Midnight looked back to her with scorn.

"It is true, Starlight! And believe me, I know that better than any of you! I know how important it is to use force to get yourself out of a tight spot. So don't get all sanctimonious and preachy on me!"

But Starlight, to her credit, did not flinch or budge from that, instead holding her ground and frowning right back.

"Oh really? And how exactly did you come to that conclusion?"

Taking a single determined step forward, Midnight brought her face within an inch of Starlight's, looking right into her eyes.

"...Because of Chrysalis."

Just like that, Starlight's confidence wavered, for she now knew exactly where this was going. Midnight, seeing that realisation in her counter's eyes, nevertheless explained herself anyway.

"When she and I last met, we came to blows. She used her power in an effort to destroy me. She didn't want compromise, or reconciliation, or peace...she just wanted me dead. Now then..."

She paused, taking a moment to calm herself slightly.

"...you've known her as well, Starlight. So tell me. If I had tried to be friendly, or diplomatic, or open with her...would she have stayed her hoof?"

Starlight said nothing, instead beginning to slowly look away. Midnight, knowing she now had the upper hoof in this, gave a nod.

"Exactly. She would have just kept on going. If I had not used force in that moment, if I had not defended myself...I wouldn't even be here for this little chat of ours."

Her next words were uttered with pure venom in her tone.

"She...would...have...killed me."

For a time afterwards the two mares said nothing to one another, with Starlight continuing to look away from the mirror image of her mentor. After a few minutes had passed, however, Midnight scoffed, then began to turn, heading back towards the palace.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna go and find a nice book to read. I think a little privacy would be welcome at this point."

Starlight looked back to her, watching her go. And only when the doppelganger was out of sight did she finally let out a deep sigh.

"Oh, Twilight...I hope you have better luck helping her get past this attitude...because this counselling session, is way out of my league!"