• Published 4th Aug 2018
  • 10,289 Views, 519 Comments

One Castle, Two Alicorns - James Pwyll



When Twilight and her friends return home from their camping trip in the Everfree, they're shocked to discover an unexpected intruder

  • ...
18
 519
 10,289

What's in a name?

Dawn had risen over Ponyville, and yet, this pleasant sight did not bring Twilight the same joy and wonder that it normally did. She walked through the halls of her home, carrying herself with a more worrisome feeling than she usually had when doing so. Beside her, engulfed in her magical aura, was a breakfast tray, upon which rested a still-steaming bowl of soup. But her eyes were focused not on this meal, but on the one who now lay ahead. Starlight was sitting quietly by herself, staring intently at the door opposite her, as if worried the thing might explode at any moment. But, when she turned to finally see her teacher, she broke out into a smile.

"Hey."

Twilight smiled back.

"Hey."

Then, the Princess' smile faded a little, as she instead glanced to the door.

"Anything?"

A long sigh from Starlight.

"Nothing. All I've seen so far is a flickering light through the cracks of the door. I think she might have been reading all night."

Twilight looked back to her, surprised.

"She hasn't slept?"

Starlight shrugged her shoulders.

"I'm not sure if someone like her even can sleep!"

Twilight paused for a time, then gave a single nod to her apprentice.

"Alright...I've got this."

Starlight looked back to her, concerned.

"You sure you don't want me staying with you for this?"

Twilight smiled back to that, shaking her head a little.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'll be fine. Besides, you need to get yourself some breakfast."

The other mare, understandably, was hesitant to just leave her alone, but she trusted Twilight enough to go along with her instructions. So, off she went, with Twilight watching her until she had walked around the corner, and was no longer in view. Taking in a deep breath, the Princess used her magic to open the door, entering the room along with the tray she was still levitating.

"Good morning."

The room was modest, a typical guest bedroom, and from the looks of it, Starlight had been correct in her guess, as the bed looked like it had not been used all night. Turning her head slightly, Twilight looked upon her doppelganger, who was indeed reading at a nearby desk, with a candle still smouldering from where it had recently run out. As for the clone herself, her eyes were focused on her book, though she did cast a brief glance in Twilight's direction.

"Princess."

The tone had been formal and clinical, with no indication that she was actually happy to see her, which Twilight wasn't all that surprised by. Still, as she entered the room fully, she levitated the tray over to the small table at the side of the desk, laying the soup down upon it.

"I hope you don't mind, but I brought you something to eat."

Here, the clone turned, looking to the soup with some manner of suspicion. Twilight, perhaps sensing what her double was thinking, rolled her eyes in a display of slight irritation.

"It's not poison."

The clone frowned to her.

"One can never be too careful."

Lighting up her own horn, the copy lifted up the spoon that was lying beside the bowl, taking a good scoop of the food before bringing it to her face. After giving it a quick sniff, she slowly opened her mouth, putting the spoon right in. Immediately, her eyes widened, and she winced, looking very uncomfortable right now. Seeing this, Twilight took a step forward, her voice betraying her worry,

"Are you okay? I know I'm not the best cook, but..."

However, the clone shook her head, silencing her host for the time being. Twilight watched as, with great struggle, the double finally swallowed, after which she started to pant, as if having gone through a terrible experience.

"Are...are you okay?" Twilight asked.

The clone, while still looking somewhat unhappy, gave a nod.

"Yeah. It's just...I've never eaten anything before."

She grimaced.

"The act of swallowing, having the food go down my throat, it's...not pleasant."

To that, Twilight giggled.

"Trust me, you'll get used to it."

It wasn't a prospect the clone seemed to relish, but she accepted it for the time being, turning her attention once more to her book. A silence, and a long one at that, during which Twilight shifted from one hoof to the other. She wanted to talk to her guest, to maybe open up some kind of dialogue, but she couldn't really think of anything right now, and so instead resorted to some simple small talk.

"So...how are you finding the room?"

The clone didn't look up from her book as she answered.

"It's fine. I didn't get attacked in the night, so that's something."

Not the happiest answer, but it was at least a response. Then, to her surprise, Twilight saw her try to take yet another sip of her soup, which resulted in a second grimace as she struggled to swallow.

"Um...if it's causing you that much trouble, you don't actually have to eat it."

But her guest seemed almost offended by that suggestion.

"While I acknowledge that there are many things in this world that have the potential to beat me..."

She glared at her bowl.

"...I refuse to let a bowl of soup be one of them!"

She was determined, that much was certain, even though her tone hadn't exactly been the friendliest. Twilight, clearing her throat, took a step closer to the mare who looked so much like her.

"You know...I've been doing some thinking."

Again, with the double focusing on her book, she didn't look to her.

"Oh? About what?"

Twilight cracked a smile, albeit a small one.

"Well, mainly I've been thinking about what to call you."

Here, at last, the clone looked at her, but it wasn't with a look of curiosity, as Twilight had perhaps expected, but rather of irritation.

"Pardon?"

Twilight, still clearly wanting to maintain some measure of cordiality, began to explain herself.

"Well, it's just...we can't very well go around calling you the clone all the time, can we? We've got to give you a name."

Her duplicate narrowed her eyes slightly.

"Forgive me for saying this, your Majesty...but I already have a name. Twilight Sparkle, Remember?"

Twilight gave a quick nod, clearing her throat before speaking again.

"Yes, I realise that, but...I was thinking about maybe you would have a name of your own, rather than sticking to the name of the one you were based on?"

The other mare's eyes narrowed further.

"Twilight...Sparkle."

The words had been spoken firmly, as one would when they were unwilling to move from their position. Clearly, she wasn't enamoured with this idea of having a new name, so Twilight, in her usual fashion, tried the diplomatic approach.

"I understand that this may seem a bit forward on my part, but it would make things a bit less confusing, given that we're living together, don't you think?"

The clone stared at her for a time, blinking slowly.

"This is the only name I have, Princess. If you're going to convince me to choose a different one...I suggest you come up with a pretty good replacement."

It was a fair point, Twilight conceded, but thankfully, she'd been thinking about this for a while, and so smiled to her dark counterpart.

"A while back, a met a girl who lived...well...very far away. She was called Twilight too."

Twilight's clone looked to her with an arched eyebrow, but otherwise kept quiet as the original kept speaking.

"Once, she was overcome with dark magic, and it changed her. She became a dark version of herself, a corrupted mirror image."

Twilight appeared to dwell on that memory for a time.

"When she was like that...she called herself Midnight."

Her smile returned, albeit faintly.

"I was thinking...maybe you could have that name?"

Upon hearing the suggestion, the clone looked away, glancing back to her book as she considered what had been said to her.

"So...you think I should be named after someone who, in all likelihood, was some sort of psychopath?"

Twilight hesitated here.

"I...er...hadn't actually considered that."

She started looking somewhat apologetic.

"I just figured it might be nice to..."

But her clone walked away from her before she could finish, instead walking over to a nearby mirror that was hanging off the wall. The duplicate Twilight stared at her reflection for a while, tapping the end of her chin as she pondered the name.

"Hmmm...Midnight Sparkle."

She nodded.

"A name that suggests that I'm closer to the dark than you are."

Twilight chuckled nervously.

"Yes, well, again, I didn't really think of that at the time."

But the clone shook her head.

"You needn't apologise. I think...it suits me."

She again stared at her reflection.

"Midnight Sparkle...yeah..."

Slowly, she looked back to the Princess, taking on one of her now-expected sly smirks.

"...I think I rather like that name."