• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 814 Views, 8 Comments

Derpy Hooves: Dragon Slayer - Yellowcardpony



This grey mare ain't what she used to be

  • ...
 8
 814

The River Sticks

CHAPTER 9: The River Sticks


Balefren was the first to make it back to the camp. The sun was just starting to disappear when he arrived. He had arranged with Earren that they would split up for better foraging chances and meet back once the sun started to fade over the horizon.

Delphina meanwhile had arranged stones so that they could make a campfire. She also had packed down and bundle nearby tall grass into three straw beds. Balefren admired the handy work as he approached. He watched as she placed a small vile next to a stack of her other potions.

“You find food?” she said not turning around to look at the unicorn as he neared.

“I did, plenty of potato roots,” he said cheerfully.

Delphina sat silent for a moment before replying, “They’ll do.”

Using his magic Balefren opened his bag and the white spiral roots floated down into a neat pile next to the pegasus.

“Where’s the other one?” she asked as she turned her head taking notice that Earren was not there.

“She should be back in a minute, we agreed to get back here as first dark started,” Balefren explained.

Derpy grinned for a moment before replying. “First dark, huh?” You are afraid of the dark aren’t you?”

Balefren felt his face slightly turn red as his fear was called out. “I wouldn’t say that,” he said with hesitation in his voice. “But let’s say that me and the dark don’t get along.”

“Alright then,” Delphina said as she stood up and moved in closer to the colt. “Balefren, there is something I need to tell you,” she added in a very serious tone.

Balefren felt a cold sweat begin to form as the pit in his stomach flared up. He stood silent waiting for her next words.

“It’s about Earren Tangle,” she continued. Balefren breathed a sigh of relief, as he thought it couldn’t be anything bad. “Balefren, she has taken quite a liking to you.”

“Sure,” he said simply.

“I mean a strong liking,” Delphina corrected.

“She needed somepony to reach out and share their friendship,” Balefren said not sure if he was defending his new friendship.

“You have opened her eyes to friendship, and you are probably the first pony to every do so, I think she is quickly taking it beyond that,” Delphina said concerned.

Balefren gave a light laugh at the suggestion. “It’s only been like one day.”

“Foolish colt,” Delphina scoffed. “You don’t even realize the way she’s been looking at you, what you think is ‘friendship at first sight’ is more like love in her eyes.”

Balefren paused for a moment thinking about things. “Well what would be so bad about that? Love is just the next level of friendship.”

“What is our mission? What are the dangers? What are you letting her get into?” Delphina began to lecture. Balefren knew full well what she was implying. He knew from his time with her, that her choice was to keep herself distanced from all ponies due to the dangers of her occupation.

“Just because you force yourself away from others, doesn’t mean that you can’t become close with someone and…” Balefren started to reply before a scolding look from Delphina made him pause.

“It’s not always about them being in danger, what about you?” she asked. Balefren just stood silent not sure how to respond. “She is smitten with you now, she will follow you to her death… how will you feel if that happens?”

“I didn’t…” Balefren muttered as he started to think about losing anyone close to him.

“Remember how you felt when you were responsible for the deaths of those Imps? How do you think it would feel if it was someone who was a friend, or someone you loved whose death you were responsible for?” Delphina lectured.

“Don’t start this, just because you chose to force others way to protect yourself, doesn’t mean I will do the same,” Balefrend defended as his voice cracked.

“I’m not saying you need to be like me Vivid, you just need to be aware,” Derpy said.

“Friendship and love aren’t those worth the risk?” he asked.

Derpy remained silent for a moment before responding. “Let’s hope you never have to find out, but you better be sure those feelings go in both directions before anyone’s put at risk.”

“Hey ponies, look what I got!” Earren’s voice called out from a distance. Derpy and Balefren turned and began to act like they were doing other tasks as the tan unicorn approached. “Moss mushrooms!”

“Those will go great with the potato roots I got,” Balefren said with a smile as he used his magic to lift the white roots into the air.

Earren trotted happily as she came the rest of the way into the camp. “This is exciting; I’ve never eaten a meal with friends.”

Derpy turned her back and began to walk a short distance away seemly to focus on some task at hand. Balefren pointed a hoof at the circle of rocks that created a fire pit for cooking.

“Once its dark we can light up the fire, no one will see the smoke in the night,” Balefren explained.

“What about the light from the fire?” Earren said as she looked at the nicely crafted cooking pit.

“It will be blocked,” Derpy said as she flew back towards the unicorns. Tucked under her arm was a bundle of something. Stopping in the air just above them she dropped the bundle and swiftly flew back to where she came from.

The bundle of grass hit the ground with a soft crunch sound. Slowly it began to unroll. Balefren looked at the grass as it unfolded in what seemed like a thick row. It looked like a blanket of grass.

“Is this to cover our campsite?” he asked as he started to put things together. Derpy flew back over and as she hovered above Balefren she dropped another bundle.

“Yes, we can make a little circle around ourselves that should obscure the light of the fire,” she said as she flew off once more.

“She was really busy,” Earren commented once the grey mare was out of view. Balefren nodded as he used his magic to straighten out the woven wall of glass and prop it up along the side of where the fire would be.

“She is very cautious, I’ll give you that,” he said.

“I could just use my magic to hide us,” Earren offered.

“That would be great but remember,” Balefren said as she pointed at the amulet the girl wore.

“Well you could take it off,” she suggested as she made a motion of lifting something up over her head.

“I would if I could, but the one who put it on you, is the only one who can take it off,” The colt explained.

“Well I’ll ask Derpy to take it off then,” she reasoned. “I’m sure she would understand that I can help.”

“I’m sure she would understand, but…” Balefren said as he lifted another bale and moved it into place.

“But what?” Earren said getting impatient.

“Well let’s just say Derpy is far less trusting then I am,” Balefren said as he turned his attention back to the tan mare. Earren hung her head down in shame. “Don’t feel like that, how about I ask her when she gets back over here just to see?” he offered feeling bad for the mare.

“Would you?” Earren said lifting her head. “I’m beginning to think she doesn’t really like me.”

“She’s distant like that, I’m not used to it either, but she’ll come around someday,” Balefren said smiling.

Derpy came flying back into view with a bundle under each arm and landed between the two unicorns. “Let’s get these up, it will be dark soon, and I’m sure we’re all plenty hungry.”

Earren reached out for one of the bales, but Balefren’s magic grabbed both of them and quickly moved them through the air and into position. “Say Derpy,” he spoke while working. “Couldn’t we have Earren here use her spell to make us undetectable?”

Derpy shook her head quickly as she picked up a cooking pot. “Nope, we can’t trust her yet,” she said as she placed the pot onto stones in the middle of the fire pit. Balefren caught a glimpse of Earren who put her head down again and kicked at the dirt softly.

“Come on Del,” Balfren said. “I think she proved herself.”

In a flash Derpy spun around and charged at Balefren. Using her wings to stop her movement she paused inches from his face. Her eyes glared at him with an intense seriousness. Shocked by the aggressive display Balefren took a step backwards and stumbled a bit. Derpy’s soft yellow eyes had turned into Delphina’s narrow glare.

“I’m not going to have this discussion now and in front of her,” she whispered forcefully. “Don’t be fooled.”

Earren watched from her spot a short distance away as the grey pegasus and white unicorn seemed to argue. She was baffled and couldn’t hear what they were saying to each other, but she knew they were talking about her. After a moment she called out meekly, “I’m sorry.”

Balefren and Delphina stopped immediately and slowly turned to face the girl.

“I’m sorry, it was my fault, I thought that I could help if you took the necklace off,” she explained as she fought back tears. Balefren took a step towards her and opened his mouth to speak, but Delphina spoke first.

“You have nothing to be sorry for,” Delphina said. “I should have been honest with you earlier, you need to understand that I cannot chance you being here as a coincidence, my mission is far more important than I can not afford to put in jeopardy.”

“Derpy,” Balefren said trying to think of a response.

“I’m the one to be sorry, but I cannot make any more mistakes or unnecessary chances, we are very close to the end.” Delphina paused as she finished explaining. She looked at the tan unicorn and as she backed away with fear in her eyes. The happy excited mare had reverted to her aloof and tormented self. “I will tell you what, tomorrow I will take the necklance off you,” she offered extending her hoof.

Earren’s ears perked up as she lifted her head at the offer. Balefren’s ears also perked as he watched Delphina’s expressions. No, it was Derpy again now. The grey mare stood with a simple smile as she held out her hoof in friendship.

“Are you sure?” Balefren whispered as he watched Earren move closer.

“You said I can trust her,” Derpy whispered back. “Right?”

Balefren nodded and smiled happily knowing that she had listened to him after all. Earren closed the rest of the distance and reached out her hoof to meet with mare’s.

“Tomorrow? You mean it?” she said cautiously.

“Yes, I do,” Derpy responded as their hooves meet and shook for a brief moment. “Now let’s eat!” she added as she quickly broke her stance and trotted over to the fire pit.


The magic fire was small but burned very hot. Balefren was pleased as how easily he had made the fire. His magic combined with some strange alchemic ingredients Delphina added made the fire seem to burn from nothing, but it worked well.

Before long the trio of ponies were eating well toasted roots and mushrooms. Enclosed in the grass barrier they ate without interruption and silently.

Once the scrounged up food was gone, Earren looked up at the grey Pegasus who was sitting farthest from the fire. Done eating Derpy had retrieved her silver sword and was inspecting it carefully. Earren watched with great interest as she had never been around a weapon before.

“How does it work?” she asked coyly.

“You’re kidding right?” Derpy said glancing up with her eyes, but keeping her head tilted down.

“I mean,” Earren corrected quickly realizing she had sounded dumb. “I know you stab, but how do you wield it?”

Derpy smiled slightly at the unicorn’s interest. “Well,” she said as she tilted the sword upright. “The hilt has custom grip here, where I can grip with my teeth, but the sides are also notched to allow it to be easily balanced on a tucked in hoof,” Derpy demonstrate by taking the blade in her mouth and giving it a swing, then tossing the blade up in the air. She raised her front hoof and caught it as it came down. Moving her hoof around expertly the blade stayed in place as she swung it again. Earren stomped her hoof in approval at the display.

Balefren ducked his head and scooted himself a little farther away as the deadly weapon made him nervous. “Small space here, careful Derpy,” he cautioned.

“Settle down Vivid, I’ve been swinging swords longer then you’ve been using magic,” Derpy responded as she swung the sword around her hoof and laid it gently on the stones by the fire.

“When can I get one?” Earran asked as she watched the firelight reflected in the metal.

“When you learn what it means to take a life,” Delphina responded. “Weilding a weapon is a big responsibility, and the price that comes with it is a heavy toll.”

“I guess so, I’ve never thought about killing any pony,” Earren said thoughtfully.

“Even though you’re aloof and fickle, you are very pure at heart Earren,” Depy said as she began to run a brown rag across the sword blade. “Balefren on the other hand…”

“Don’t even start pegasus,” Balefren said joining the conversation.

“Oh,” Derpy said suddenly has she looked up from her work. “Doesn’t Balefren owe you a story Earren?”

The young unicorn’s eyes lit up with excitement as she remembered. She nodded vigorously and looked over to Balefren. He sat uninterested and even rolled over so that his back was to the mares.

“Please, I told you about me,” Earren pleaded.

“That was different,” Balefren said not turning around. “I was just trying to ease your mind and get you to sleep.”

Earren got up from where she was and jumped to where the white unicorn was laying. “I’m not letting you sleep until you tell me,”

Balefren groaned feeling annoyed. He didn’t mind sharing with Earren, but he was not keen on having Delphina listen in. “Look I promised you a story, not her,” he said as he rolled over and pointed a hoof at the grey pegasus.

“Nothing you can say will surprise me,” Derpy said as she continued to polish her blade.

“I’ll make you a deal, if I tell you my story, you have to share yours next,” he offered.

“Nope,” Derpy replied quickly without looking up.

“Please,” Earren asked as she turned her attention to Delphina. “I bet your story is so much more fun than Balefren’s anyway.”

“I won’t tell either of you, my story stays with me until the end of the world,” she added.

“Alright settle in then,” Balefren said as he sat up. “I’ve got nothing special to share, but if you really want to know, here it is.”