• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 814 Views, 8 Comments

Derpy Hooves: Dragon Slayer - Yellowcardpony



This grey mare ain't what she used to be

  • ...
 8
 814

For Everfree

CHAPTER 4: For Everfree

As the pair left Ponyville behind Derpy looked up at the sun and compared its position to the distant mountains. “Looks like it’s about noon, we’ll have ten hours of daylight left,” Derpy said as she shared her observation.

“We should be able to cross through the forest in five hours,” Balefren commented.

“Very good Vivid,” Derpy said impressed. “I thought you may be familiar with the landscape.”

“Well I am a delivery colt, I make a point of knowing geography and navigation,” he boasted.

“That is why I picked you,” Delphina said slyly. At this Balefren stopped walking. Derpy looked back at him as she continued on.

“Do you want to know what you’re involved in? I think we’re far enough away from prying eyes and ears I can fill you in.”

Balefren resumed his pace with a fresh vigor as he caught back up to the pegasus.

“Do you know who that letter was from? The one you delivered to me?” Derpy asked.

Balefrend Vivid stayed silent for a minute before responding.

“Yes, it was from someone in the Dark Mares.”

“Very good, I knew you were a smart pony.”

“Ponies living out here may have no idea but anyone who lives in Trottingham knows of the Dark Mares.”

“And what do you know of them?”

“They are a mysterious cult conducting secret and forbidden business from the shadows,” Balefren said thinking back to different things he had seen and heard about them. “Many think they are just an old ponies tale, nothing but a rumor in the wind.”

“And what do you think?”

“I felt like I always knew there was something going on behind the scenes, and after meeting you, I can only say they’re real.”

“Well you’re on the right track,” Delphina said. “But they are not a cult; cults worship a god or other religious idol. The Dark Mares do no such thing.”

“So what did they tell you to do?” the unicorn asked feeling excitement stirring in his stomach.

“So that you’ll understand what they have asked of me, let me tell you a little more about them first,” Delphina said suddenly stopping. Just a short distance up a head the clearing ended and the thick overgrow trees of the Everfree forest loomed. “Let’s stop here for a bit to eat, and I’ll tell you a story.”

Balefren nodded in agreement as he realized how hungry he was. Both ponies sat down next to an old treestump that had been cut down long ago. The large stump was smooth and wide and served as a natural table.

Derpy opened her small saddle bag and withdrew some bread and a knife. Balefren tried to use his magic to open his bags. Once again the amulet blocked the magic and nothing happened.

“I don’t think I’m going to ever get used to that,” He sighed.

“It’s only for a while, I promise,” Derpy said as she helped lift the saddle bags off the stallion’s back and placed them on the ground. “Food is in the green ones, the yellow and red bags are… other things,” she warned.

Balefren didn’t want to mess with ‘other things’ so he opened the green bags and took out a few carrots that were carefully tucked inside.

Once the food was ready to eat, Derpy started to talk.

***

Long ago, I mean long ago, thousands of years ago, there was a young student of the great king Solaris. This student was a very smart and talented unicorn named Umethes. The great king recognized his talents and insisted he was at his side as his number one pony. For decades Umethes served the king. As the years went by Umethes began to study and chronicle the Alicorn king and his empire.

After more years went by, his studies started to revel something that shocked him. Although the great Alicorn’s were godlike and benevolent, his studies started to show that, that may not always be the case. Using his knowledge of their powers and combining it with his theory of disharmony among their race, he predicted that if left unchecked whether it was through rivalries amongst themselves or turning on the ponies they ruled the Alicorns would someday bring about the end of the world.

Fearing that his findings would greatly upset and even trigger the reaction he now dreaded, Umethes knew he could not go to King Solaris. Instead he gathered his closet friends and formed a secret union sworn to watch over and protect pony kind if their great King were to ever turn against them.

As the years went on, the group and their ancestors continued to stay in the shadows and watch. What was a duty to protect pony kind from the corruption of their rulers soon spread into many other matters of protecting ponies across the land. As time went on their duties spread to watching other immortal and dangerous creatures and doing what had to be done to keep them out of Equestria.

As years turned to centuries and things changed, Celestia took up rule over the land. One of the things she declared was to spread tolerance to those outside of the pony world. She wanted to convert and help all creatures in the land. One race she quickly put a strong focus on was Dragons.

Celestia created a treaty amongst the eldest and wisest of the Dragon lords. Celestria’s decree was that no dragon shall be hunted or harmed within her lands. In return the dragon’s promise was that no dragon would ever harm a pony. Although the oldest and wisest dragons understood and agreed, not all dragons are as smart, or cooperative.

Since dragons have always been a very real threat through the ages, the Dark Mares took it upon themselves to watch and ensure the beasts upheld their part of the bargain. Over the years they learned how to deal with Dragon’s just as they had learned about the Alicorns. Cloaked in secret the Dark Mares tracked all dragons in and near Equestria. It was decided that taking a more aggressive approach was the best option. Through means, diplomatic and other, the Mares persuaded most dragons to move out of the land and live elsewhere. Most did, but some refused. Those that stayed were under constant observation, and any who dared threatening ponies were dealt with. Permanently.

Celestra would be very upset at the Dark Mares actions, but it is something that has to be done. Everything may seem nice and safe in Equestra, but just beyond the borders lay a world that is no safe place for a pony. Thanks to the Dark Mares, those dangers stay at bay and every pony can live worry free.

So we remain in the shadows doing what must be done to ensure the safety of ponies, from enemies aboard and within.

***

Balefren remained quite the entire time listening intently until Delphina had finished the story. He waited another minute to make sure she had nothing else to add before speaking.

“First thing, you really aren’t a good story teller, and second you said ‘we’ there at the end," he said.

Delphina frowned for a moment at the criticism. “Yes that is correct, I am a Dark Mare,” she said nodding.

“So the mission you were given then, is…” Balefren paused as if he didn’t want to say it.

“Slay a dragon,” Delphina said finishing his sentence. Balefren just sat silent for a minute as he felt a sinking feeling in his stomach at the thought of facing a dragon. “This dragon has been going in and out of Equestria much and doing what he pleases. We have evidence that several ponies who have gone missing met their end with him.”

“How can we kill a dragon?”

“He has been warned many times, the time for talk has ended, so they have called on me,” Delphina continued ignoring Balefren.

“It would take a hundred of Celestria’s best guards to take down a dragon,” Balefren reasoned. “No pony could do it alone, not even Celestia herself.

Grinning Delphina began to calmly pack the leftover food back into the green saddle bags. “I’m better than a hundred of her guards,” she said looking back over to Balefren. “I’m more than a match for any dragon.”

“How can you be so sure of yourself? It’s one thing to study a monster like that and have an idea where their weakness’ are and things, but it’s much different to actually face one down; alone,” Balefren argued.

“Come now Vivid, you’re not acting very bright again,” Delphina taunted.

“I’m just saying Delphina, do you really know what a living breathing dragon is like?” Balefrend retorted.

“Living, breathing and dying,” Delphina replied.

Balefren sat speechless. He didn’t believe what he was hearing, but knew he shouldn’t question her. Through rumor and legend he only knew of one pony to ever have supposedly killed a dragon.

“Also, I won’t be fighting it alone,” she added with a wink in his direction. Before he could think of something to say she picked up the smaller red saddle back and hoisted it on her back. Delphina began to head back down the path. “Pick up the rest of the gear Vivid, we’ve got to make good time if we want to get through the forest before nightfall.”

Reminded of the plan for the day, Balefren dropped his concerns and quickly picked up the bags. He cursed to himself again as he once more tried to use magic to move them. Once they were secured on his back, he started to run to catch up to the grey pegasus. He was glad she wasn’t flying at least. Why wasn’t she flying? He thought to himself.

“The Everfree forest is not a place you want to spend the night in, unless you have too,” she called back. “Come on Balefren.”

***

The forest was dark and cold. Balefren fought back a shiver as he followed Derpy down the narrow twisting path. The trees were large but very spread out, their tops spawned many branches with very think dark leaves that blocked out almost every bit of sunlight. It felt like they were walking in an endless shadow.

The encompassing darkness made Balefren nervous; casually he sped up his pace to match Derpy. Trotting alongside the mare, he tried to strike up another conversation.

“So how did you get your cutiemark?” he asked looking at the small group of bubbles on her flank; he regretted asking the moment the words left his mouth.

“The less you know about me the better Vivid,” she replied.

“Can I guess?” Balefren said feeling bold. “Just for fun, I’m pretty good at telling how ponies get their marks.”

Delphina rolled her eyes and let out a small sigh. “Alright, for fun,”

Balefren smiled happily as he started to share his thoughts, “Alright, several bubbles. Bubbles tend to be a symbol of innocence, playfulness, silliness, and stup…” he paused before he added more. “So I’m thinking deep at heart you are the kind, playfully, silly mare that Derpy is. I bet you got your mark playing with your mother or family, even from blowing bubbles!”

Delphina grinned slightly and only for a second, before her face resumed a serious focused look.

“You’re just a kid at heart, and I think taking on Derpy as your alter ego, is a way you can get back to your true self,” Balefren concluded. “So how did I do?”

“You’re wrong,” Delphina said. “But good guess, if I had grown up with caring parents in a nice home that could have very well been what my mark is.”

“Ok, now I have to know what I means than,” Balefren begged. Delphina just shook her head signaling she was not going to say more. “Well that’s no fun,” he sighed.

“Fun? How about I do you then?” she asked. Balefren glanced back at himself and his cutiemark, and then at Derpy.

“Ok, give it a try,” he challenged.

Derpy looked at the white unicorns flank briefly studing it. Balefrend Vivid’s mark was a yellow and orange flame surrounded by a triangle. “Your family name is Vivid, as in something that is easy to see, or something very clear. Something bathed in bright light for instance. You already indicated you know how to use light magic, so it leads me to believe that your mark is related to creating light.”

“Not bad,” Balefrend interrupted.

“Hold on,” Delphina counter interrupted. “With a family name like yours I imagine that your parents surrounded you in light a lot. I suspect there were always lights on around your home and everywhere you went. The dark was not something you were ever exposed to as a child. Darkness was something strange and unnerving to you in fact, and it’s something you still fear deep down, being alone in the dark. Growing up you learned to focus your life’s work on being above the darkness and bringing light to everything you can. I figure at some point you had some break through and found a knack for being the light that pierces the dark. And so you get a cutiemark of a single flame set on a angled frame.”

Balefren stood quite not sure how to respond. He didn’t want to admit that she was very close on her analysis. Delphina noticed that the unicorn’s pace was slowing down a little. She realized she probably hit a nerve somewhere in her rambling.

“Or as a young colt you set your father’s books on fire by mistake and found that you like the feel of the heat and smell of the flame,” she said joking.

Balefren grinned as he accepted the humor. “I did burn down the garden shed once,” he admitted.

“I hope that wasn’t when you got your mark,” Derpy added.

“Nope, I got my mark much later during magic studies,” Balefren said as he thought back, his smile faded quickly at the memories.

“I’m sorry, I was over analyzing things like you did,” Derpy said as she saw the pain in the stallion’s eyes. “I don’t know which part was right, but you don’t have to tell me.”

“It’s alright, I started it,” Balefren admitted. “Let’s talk about something else.”

***

Derpy Hooves and Balefren Vivid made good time through the dense forest as they chatted and shared opinions on less important topics such as the worst food they had ever eaten. Late afternoon quickly turned into evening as they came to a stop in a small clearing.

The glow of amber skies could be seen above where no trees happened to grow. Derpy looked up at the sky frowning. “I would have thought we would have gotten farther than this, daylight is going to be gone an about an hour,” She remarked.

“Could we run the rest of the way?” Balefren wondered. Derpy gave him a disbelieving glance before responding.

“Are you in shape enough to run for an hour?”

“Of course, I’m a delivery pony aftercall. I’m used to long runs,” Balefren replied confident.

“Alright then, let’s do it,” Delphina said. “But I’m not stopping if you fall behind, you can spend the night in here alone,” she added with a grin as she started to trot off.

Balefren opened his mouth to protest, but instead started off on a near full speed run, passing Derpy in moments. He knew he had conditioned himself to be able to run at almost full speed for very long distances, he wondered if the pegasus had done the same.

***

As the pair ran down the trail through the Everfree forest, the loss of sunlight was making the already dark forest much more difficult to navigate. Earlier in the day any debris on the ground was at least noticeable. But now shadows began to grow on the ground giving on the illusion things where there, that were not, and hiding things that were there.

“You know if I could use my horn, I could light up the path really well,” Balefren suggested.

“Not going to happening, we should be nearing the edge of the forest in a few minutes, we can make it,” Delphina said. Despite her determination, she was very aware of the risk running through the dark posed. She felt herself naturally slowing down a little to make sure she was not going to take a misstep.

Noticing the gery mare falling behind a little Balefren looked back to offer support.

“You could fly if you want; it’s not a big deal.”

“Those branches just overhead are like daggers, and they are even harder to see, I’ll be alright.”

After another minute Balefren noticed she had fallen a little further behind him.

“If you fall behind, you’ll have to spend the night here,” he said mimicking the mare from earlier. Looking up in the distance, a glint of light up ahead caught his eye. It was almost pitch black now, but he could tell the little light ahead was the edge of the forest and waiting was the last rays of sunlight for the day.

Inspired and anxious to be out of the forest he doubled his effort and began to sprint the rest of the distance. “I see the edge!” he called out as he pulled away.

It only took another minute before the unicorn broke free of the foliage and into an open field. A gold and violet sky was there to greet him. On the fringe of the horizon where small clouds stretched out for miles, as if they were a soft white blanket coming down on the land. With excitement, and borderline exhaustion Balefren sat down on a small hill overlooking the fields below.

He waited for his breathing to catch up before he commented. “Isn’t it a wonderful sight Derpy?” he said looking up at the sky smiling. Something about the summer sunsets made him feel so peaceful. “Derpy?” Balefren said again as he looked around. Then he realized that the Pegasus was not with him. He was all alone.

***

Back in the forest Derpy shook her head in a daze. She was laying on the ground face first in a small pile of dirt and leaves. It only took her a second to regain her composure. She had tripped over something, no, something had snagged her leg, she remembered.

Quickly she leapt to hear feet and looked around. The darkness was thick, but she could make out shapes well enough. Only feet from where she fell, there was something sticking out from the ground. She cautiously moved over to the object to examine it. As she moved, she realized that her right rear hoof was in considerable pain and discomfort.

“Not broken,” she said reassuring herself. Bending down she looked at the thing that had tripped her. It was not a rock or a fallen tree branch. What Derpy was looking at was something crafted specially to trip someone up. She could make out some kind of trip wire, and markings. It was hard to tell in the dark, but it looked like it didn’t fully trigger.

She suddenly heard faint movement from the base of a tree close to her. Trained reaction kicked in as the realization of the danger set in. “I messed up,” she muttered as she leapt up unfurling her wings. With one powerful stroke she was air born.

In the same instant there was a loud snap and a whoosh of air as something lashed out at her. Just as she was getting altitude she felt a cold sting as something lashed around her leg. Instantly her momentum was stopped as a line of some sort went taut. Unable to react she felt herself being slung to the ground.

With a thud the pegasus hit the ground hard face first, and lay unmoving. Around her fallen body, a number of cloaked figures approached grinning smugly at their handy work.

***

On the edge of the Everfree forest Balefren had hesitated for a moment. He really, really did not want to go back into the forest, especially at night. He tried his best to convince himself that Delpina Ray could easily take care of herself in any situation, but something nagged at him. She couldn’t have gotten this far behind him. She must have tripped or something, he thought. Unsure of what to do, he slowly began to walk back into the forest.

The white unicorn’s nerves were on edge, not only for having to go back into the dark depths of the woods, but also for the unknown he would be facing. One step after another he cautiously retraced his route. He was on high alert listening for any sound, and watching for any movement. The forest was so dark now; he could only see things within feet from him. How he wished that his horn was free so he could light up the night.

Balefren had not gone too far before he heard sounds of someone, or something moving about in the foliage. He was about to call out for Derpy, when he paused and held his breath instead. Standing perfecting still and not moving, he listened intently on the sounds. Something about it didn’t seem right, it was like… There were multiple bodies making noise from different places, he realized. A cold shiver shot up his spine as fear started to cloud his thoughts. He looked behind him at the light from the forests edge. He was a moment from turning and running when suddenly a small glint of light began to glow just up ahead.

Getting control of his fear, he turned his attention to a small red glow a short distance ahead. He couldn’t tell where it was coming from, and it was gone within seconds of appearing, but he saw something in that moment that the light was there. He saw the body of Derpy Hooves lying on the ground unmoving. Her blonde mane spread out covering her as if it was a death shroud.

“Impossible, she can’t be,” he whispered in disbelief. If she was though, that would mean that, he thought then looked down at the amulet that hung around his neck. “Ok, if she’s dead, I should be able to take this off,” he said to himself as he gritted his teeth. Holding his breath again the unicorn lifted a hoof up and began to take the amulet off.

As soon as the necklace started to lift up, a jolt of fiery pain shot through his hoof. Balefren bit his lip to keep himself from crying out from the sudden jolt. He knew this meant she must still be alive.

Balefren thought for a moment questioning what he should do… what could he do? After a moment, he looked at the saddle bags he wore. He thought back to Delphina telling him not to open the red one because it was dangerous. In the dark he couldn’t tell them apart though.

The sound of something being dragged across the forest floor, hastened his decision, without thinking anymore, the unicorn dashed forward towards the noise yelling as fiercely as he could. “Hades teeth upon you!” he yelled as he leapt forward running into something hard. With adrenaline pumping Balefren tossed open the saddle bags and began to throw the contents in the direction of the threat.

Contents from the bags flew making thuds and crashes as they stuck different things in the dark. His onslaught was met with high pitch screeches and cries of surprise from unknown creatures. The forest suddenly seemed to come alive with noises and creatures crashed through the undergrowth all around. After a few seconds of chaos, everything suddenly fell silent.

Balefren stood breathing heavily with a saddle bag still hanging from his mouth. He felt like he was ready to take on anything. At his feet he could make out the shape of someone, as he started to calm down he bent over for a closer look. To his relief it was the unconscious Delphina Ray laying before him. Before he could do anything else, there was movement in the bushes right in front of him. Looking up he tried to focus his eyes on the source.

“You better flee unless you want to face the wrath of Balefren Vivid!” he snarled. As he spoke light from a small flame sprang up in front of him. The light was enough to expose a fat little creature sitting in front of him.

Balefren blinked at first looking at the odd creature. It was only half his height; it had black scales with red glowing eyes. Between its claws was the light source that seemed to be a small twig that was burning as if by magic. It reminded him of a lizard, but had a pointed snout that looked more like a dog.

“Horn pony,” the creature said with a raspy voice. “We have horns.”

“Yes, I do,” Balefren said unsure how to reply.

The creature seemed to smile as it motioned in the air with one of its claws. “No we have horn,” it said pointing its claw at him. Not sure how to take this, Balefren considered it a threat and quickly stood tall.

“Stay back, I am a powerful wizard from Vivid enclave!” he roared trying his best to intimidate. As he finished speaking he couldn’t help but notice that many of the black creatures had begun to move in around him.

“Shhhhh,” the creature hissed. In that moment Balefren found himself surrounded by a torrent of claws and bodies.

The unicorn bucked and tossed himself to and fro trying to break free. He fought for only a minute before one of the creatures was pouring something over his face. Balefren coughed and sputtered as the strange sticky liquid doused him. As he focused on not breathing or drinking in the substance, it gave his attackers the chance to better restrain him. Before he knew what happening they had wrapped ropes around his legs tripping him up.

With a grunt the unicorn fell to the ground. He tried to us his magic desperately, but to no avail. More liquid was suddenly being poor over his face again. Unable to hold his breath any longer, he opened his mouth and gasped. As he did, another splash of the substance was forced inside.

Unable to fight it, he found himself forced to swallow some of the concoction. It felt like ash on his pallet with a strong bitter aftertaste.

It only took moments before Balefren started to feel like he was in a tunnel spinning and whirling around. As he lay on the ground in a daze, his vision seemed to clear just for a moment, as he looked at Derpy’s sleeping face lying next to him. She seems so peaceful, he thought, I wonder if I’ll look peaceful too? Unable to maintain control anymore Balefren Vivid felt a great sleep wash over him.