• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 814 Views, 8 Comments

Derpy Hooves: Dragon Slayer - Yellowcardpony



This grey mare ain't what she used to be

  • ...
 8
 814

Of Water and Dragons

CHAPTER 12: Of Water and Dragons


“Balefren!” Derpy’s voice boomed. “BALEFREN!” her voice repeated louder.

Balefren opened his eyes slowly, his ears ringing from the yelling above him. Something wet was rubbing against his face. As he lifted his head he realized it was strings of grass that were now covering him. He thought it was odd, then he felt something cold and wet surrounding his hooves and body.

“What in Hades,” he mumbled as he pushed himself up. It was still dark out and he could not see what was going on, but as he sat up a splash of water pushed up against his side. He put a hoof down and felt around. To his surprise there was a few inches of water around him.

“BALEFREN!” Derpy’s voice bellowed from high above.

“What’s going on!” he called back looking up at the night sky.

“RUN!” Derpy’s voice said alarmed. A shiver went down Balefren’s spine as he looked around franticly instilled by fear.
He saw the ground moving like a snake as water flowed around the tall grass in all directions. The rush of the river seemed much louder than it had been before. Standing up quickly he used his horn to light up the night. The orange glow of his light exposed the river, but the lumpy river bank that had been there before was now nothing but water flowing by rapidly.

“It’s a flood!” Derpy’s voice shouted again. “GO NOW!” She screamed from somewhere above.

“What’s going on?” Earren said groggily as she sat up. Balefren pushed his magic as hard as he could to really light things up. Looking into the distance he saw something large and black coming quickly. Eye’s wide with horror, he grabbed Earren up and began to pull her with him.

“RUN!” he cried in sheer panic.

“What’s?” Earren mumbled as she found herself being forced along. She managed to look back over her shoulder just in time to see a giant wall of water come sweeping in. “Balefr” she started to say as the water struck.

Both unicorns were instantly swept up as the wall of water blanketed the ground. The whole world went black as the smothering wetness engulfed them.

Balefren kicked and fought hard against the water trying to force himself to the surface, but something was clinging around his waist tightly. Even in the confusion it only took him a moment to realize it was Earren who had grabbed him at the last second. In the darkness of the water the best he could do was to reach down and wrap his hooves around her as they were swept along.

Both ponies held their breath as they tumbled roughly around like paper in the wind. With fear and anderline flowing through him, Balefren suddenly felt a moment of clarity as he floated along. Using his horn to provide light he opened his eyes and looked through the cold water.

The torrent swirled around in all directions as far as his light could penetrate. Balefren could not even make out what direction the surface was as he continued to tumble with Earren clinging tightly to his legs.

The need for air was approaching quickly, frantically the unicorn looked about trying to get a bearing on his position, but he knew that without kicking Earren free he would not be able to swim anywhere.

It’s her or me, he thought as he looked at the tan mare clinging to him, her red mane sweeping around in all directions in the water. What am I thinking, he thought suddenly as he stopped himself from kicking. Can I really toss her away?

Before he had to make the decision he suddenly found his head breaking free of the water. Balefren gasped for breath quickly as instinct took over. Unconsciously he laid himself out straight lifting Earren’s head up above the water as well.

Floating on his back he caught a glimpse of the stars as they spun above him. He heard Earren gasping for breath, as she pulled herself up using him as a floatation device. As she lifted herself up and put weight on him, he broke the surface and began to sink again.

Earren grabbed on tightly again as her white support sank. Balefren thrashed his limps trying to regain bouncy.

“Easy,” he cried out as water splashed his face. Earren continued to cling to him for dear life having not heard him over the sound of rushing water.

After a few more moments of struggling to stay afloat the rush of water started to slow down quickly. Just as the two unicorns began to find the balance to stay above water, their feet touched down on the rocky river bottom and the momentum of the water slowed to a crawl.

Balefren planted his hooves and found himself standing in place as only about a foot of water remained slowly floating by. He shook his mane to get out excess water, as the shock of things started to wear off.

“I can’t believe that just happened,” he commented in disbelief. “That water was cold though wasn’t it?” he looked around for Earren. Not far off he saw the tan ponie’s backside sticking out of the water. Increasing his light spell to get a better view, he watched as the tan pony seemed to be laying down in the water still and kicking her legs.

“It’s not deep now, you can get up,” he said confused watching her. “What are you doing?” Balefren took a few steps towards her trying to understand what she was doing. Bending down he shined his light directly over her.

Earren’s front end and head were under the shallow water, and around her head there was a strange yellow glow. Balefren’s eyes went wide as a realization hit him. “The necklance!” he cried as he suddenly thought about how far they must be from Derpy. The necklace has activated itself to paralyze and prevent its wearer from getting too far away.

“DERPY!” Balefren screamed up into the night air, “WHERE ARE YOU!” Quickly he reached down into the water gripping the unicorn around the midsection and began to lift. Her body began to rise easily, her hind legs came up instantly and her torso, but then his progress stopped as her head seemed to be pinned down as if held in place.

He pulled harder as her hind legs trashed in the air. What the hell? He thought as her head would not budge. The glow of magic under the water seemed to be getting brighter. The necklace was holding her down!

Balefren knew she did not have long left before she would start to drown. He glanced through the shimmering water at the gold chain, and knew what he had to do.

Taking a deep breath and gritting his teeth, Balefren plunged both of his front hooves into the water and wrapped them around the chain. Not bothering to count or prepare himself, he started to lift the amulet off of the mare’s neck.

Immediately burning pain began to resonate up both of his hooves. The pain began to reach an intolerable threshold quickly, crying out in pain he was about to let go, when he saw the girl’s legs suddenly go limp.

The Shock and fear of what that meant, caused him to wrap his hooves around the necklace tighter and he continued to pull. Balefren mentally cursed himself for even thinking of letting her drown earlier, now that it was happening he would give anything to make it stop.

The burning pain began to slowly spread up his arms. In his mind he could visualize his flesh being melted to the bone. Bubbles began to rise from the water around him as he continued to pull. He began to wail in pain and frustration as the necklace moved so slowly, it was resisting every amount of effort he was putting in.

“Not like this,” he cried with tears of pain and emotion in his eyes. Gasping for another breath, he planted both of his hind legs and put all his force into lifting. When things were still not moving, he plunged his head into the water and focused his magic on lifting the chain as well.

Balefren’s light spread across the river floor as he pulled with every ounce of muscle and magic he had to free his friend from her fate. As he pulled his horn started to burn with pain as well, his arms now had no feeling in them at all, but the necklace was starting to come loose.

Bubbles rushed out of his mouth and he roared in agony under the water. Balefren Vivid felt his arms suddenly come free as he flew backwards. With a splash the unicorn landed on his back as the gold and black chain flew through the air free of Earren’s neck.

Still in shock and fueled by adrenaline, he leapt to his feet rushed forward. He his light had faded but he spared no time as he stumbled over Earren’s body. In a panic he reached down and grabbed what he could hoisting the mare out of the water and over his shoulder.

Standing on his rear hooves he sprinted through the water towards what seemed like the shore. With one last effort he tossed the girl towards solid ground. He was pleased when he heard a soft thud as she landed. Not sparing anytime he reached up and pulled himself up onto the river bank as well.

Balefren tried to use his horn to bring light back, but nothing but a dull pain in his head happened. Not worrying about whether he could see of not, he quickly felt around for the mare. His hooves came into contact with her soaked back.

“Earren!” he cried as she rocked against her. Please don’t be dead, he thought as he started to feel sick. “Earren!” he repeated as she pressed on her chest. He had never seen anypony drown before, but he had heard they often shallow lots of water. He pushed again rolling her over so that she was face down on the ground.

Tears were starting to form in his eyes as the panic was fading and the seriousness of things were setting in. Balefren began to sob as he squeezed the tan unicorn almost in hugging motions. After a few squeezes nothing happened. She remained cold and lifeless.

Balefren wished he could see her face, but it was cloaked in the darkness now. “You can’t leave me alone in the dark,” he said worried. “You said you wouldn’t.” he as he began to sob.

Balefren began to press on her stomach a few more times, when suddenly a faint belch sound came from her mouth. His ears perked up and his eyes gleamed up with renewed hope.

“Hang on, spit or breath or whatever!” he exclaimed with tearful joy. He lifted the mare in his arms hugging her around her waist and squeezing her few more times. His efforts were rewarded by a slight gurgling sound as water began to pour from the unicorn’s mouth.

In the next second she began to cough as more water exited, and she began to breathe again. Balefren gently let go of Earren allowing her to sit on her own as she continued to cough between breaths. He leaned back feeling exhaustion overtaking his entire body, he was shaking uncontrollably and he still had no feeling his arms, they had gone completely numb. He felt like he was going to be sick, but before he could think anymore everything went black as he lost consciousness.


The sound of a bird repeating the same chirp over and over woke Balefren from his sleep. The morning sun was shining on his face making his checks feel hot. He rolled his head to the side to shield his eyes from the bright light. His face felt hot, but the rest of him felt cold as ice. Thinking about the night before, he tried to speak, but only a soft groan escaped his lips.

“There you are,” Earren said in response from somewhere near. The white unicorn turned his head again slowly to the other side trying to spot her, but she was nowhere to be seen. “I let you sleep, I guess you were really tired,” she said as her face came into view right over the top of him.

“You,” Balefren muttered looking up.

“Yes, me,” Earren said.

“I’m so glad,” he said weakly. “Go find Derpy, you’ll have to go on without me.”

Earren’s faced changed to a look of confusion as she batted her eyelids. “Why would I leave you?”

“Because my front hooves are gone, melted by that magic,” Balfren said as he was not able to feel, or move his limbs.

Earren just looked at him for a moment as she thought. Her eyes turned to look at his sides, then off in the direction of the river, then back to his face. “You…pulled the necklace off me,” she said as she began to figure things out. “It was drowning me and you…”

“Yes,” Balefren said. “It burned me beyond repair; you’ll have to go one without me,”

“You’re so cute,” she said with a smile suddenly. “I can’t believe you did that, I thought you couldn’t take it off by force.”

“You can’t, didn’t you hear what I said?” Balefren said starting to feel cross.

“Don’t be so melodramatic,” Earren said as she grasp his hoof and lifted it to his face. Balefren winched and closed his eyes as he imagined the gory horror that his hooves must be. “Look silly.”

Slowly he opened his eyes. To his surprise he saw his white hoof before him. No scares, no burns, his fur and hide were perfectly intact. “An illusion,” he said profoundly.

“No its real,” Earren said as she moved his hoof closer to his face, but misjudged the distance causing him to hit himself. “Ops.”

“No, the necklace used some kind of illusion to create the pain. It looked and felt like it was burning my arms off, but it was all just an illusion in my head,” he explained.

“So you’ll be fine then,” Earren said happily.

“I just hope I get feeling back in them soon then,” Balefren said. “Can you help me up?”

Earren nodded as her head disappeared from his vision, and was quickly replaced by the feeling of hooves under his shoulders.

“One…two…three,” Earren said as she began to lift and help Balefren into a sitting position.

Balefren looked around slowly trying to gage where they were. But all he could see was the same green tall grass in all directions.

“How far do you think we went?” he asked looking at Earren. The girl just shrugged.

“I don’t know, I woke up suddenly coughing on water last night, and this morning I didn’t wonder much before you woke up.

She doesn’t know she almost drowned, Balefren thought. “Well let’s see if we can find Derpy, I’m sure she will be flying overhead along the river.” He said thinking it best not to let her know how close she came to death.

“It’s hard to see in all this wild grass,” Earren observed as she kicked at a patch of it.

“Might be best to try to clear a patch,” Balefren thought out loud.

“What if we burn it?” Earren said suddenly thinking about the smoke it would make.

“Not bad,” Balefren agreed. “Grass smoke is bright white; it will be able to be seen from the air really easy.”

“Let’s smoke some grass then!” Earren exclaimed.

“Clear the area around us and we’ll pile it next to the river so it won’t catch anything else on fire,” Balefren instructed. He leaned forward and tried to stand up, but found himself too unstable. “You can start without me; give me a few minutes here.”

Earren smiled at the ailing unicorn as she began to lay sections of grass down to in preparation to burn. With a fire going Derpy would be able to find them in no time flat, she thought.


After a while Balefren started to get feeling back in his front hooves. Able to stand and move around again he began to assist Earren who had been very busy uprooting big patches of the tall grass and pilling it along the riverbank.

It only took the pair a few more minutes before the pile they had seemed to be big enough. The mound of grass was roughly head height and about five feet around. Balefren nodded approvingly as the signal fire.

“No way will she miss us now,” he commented. “Nice work Earren.”

“Lite it,” the tan unicorn responded.

A small glow started to shine on the tip of Balefren’s horn and small sparks began to leap into the air. “Here we go,” he said as he leaned his head forward touching the end of his horn to the grass.

A small puff of smoke started to rise slowly, then a second later bright orange flames overtook the smoke and began to spread quickly through the grass. Balefren leapt back to avoid being burned. Earren clopped her hooves on the ground in approval as the fire and smoke began to rise into the air quickly.

The grass burned with soft crackling sounds as the white plume of smoke sailed off into the sky. “Now we can sit tight until Derpy gets here, I think I’m going to lay down and try to rest a little more,” Balefren said as he took a few steps back from the fire and sat down.

Earren stood watching the flame dance through the grass for a few more moments. “It’s going to burn out in a few minutes, should I get more grass to put on it?”

“No need, the smoke from this will be drifting around for an hours. That’s plenty of time for Derpy to see it and follow it back here.”

Earren nodded understanding. “Well I’m not tired so, I think I’ll look around for some food,” she said as she began to trot off.

“Alright just don’t go too far, I’ll be resting here,” The white unicorn said as he lay down on his back and closed his eyes.


The strong smell of smoke brought Balefren to open his eyes. He knew he had fallen asleep and wasn’t sure how long it had been. He sat up and looked at the signal fire. It was not just a black smoldering heap. The long flames that had danced so eager before were nowhere to be seen and only small trails of smoke were left drifting into the open air.

“Derpy?” he called out as he looked around. “Earren?” When no response came he got to his feet and slowly walked around the remains of the fire as he looked around in the distance for either of his companion.

Looking across the open fields of grass he could not see the tan unicorn anywhere, dismissing her, his thoughts turned to the grey pegasus, surely she would have seen the trail of smoke. His eyes looked off into the distance following the white trail of smoke that seemed to go off to the end of the horizon.

“No way she could miss that,” he said a loud as his eyes scanned the sky.

Then he saw something in the sky off in the distance. Somepony was flying in from far away. There she is, he thought as he lifted a hoof to shield his eyes from the sun. With a better view he focused on the shape in the distance. Its motion was bobbing up and down slightly, so it was something flying, but it was very dark in shape. Watching it for another moment, he realized it was too dark to be Derpy.

Balefren stood unsure at what he was watching. He kept his eyes focused on the suspicious object for a few more minutes. It was getting closer, more of its shape and details started to appear. He stood silent and continued to watch until something caught his attention; the thing had a very long tail that was whipping back and forth as it moved through the air.

Balefren felt the all too familiar shiver go up his spine as he realized he had been watching a dragon and it was coming right towards him!

“Sorry Vivid, I was trying to dig up these great little roots, I think they’re radishes or something,” Earren suddenly said as she came into view. She stopped and looked at the white unicorn who’s eyes were transfixed on the sky. “What’s wrong?” she asked seeing the worried look on his face.

“We made a terrible mistake,” Balefren said as his eyes did not leave the sky.

“What do you mean?” Earren asked confused as she turned her head to look into the sky. The black shape of the dragon was now very obvious as it was getting close quickly. Earren’s eyes went wide and she dropped the roots she was holding.

“We run,” Balefren said as he preemptively answered Earren’s question before she asked. “I know you wanted to meet a dragon, but now isn’t the time.”

Earren nodded as she watched the dreadful black imagine approaching. Despite her enthusiasm towards dragons, seeing one for real, was a much more fearful thing then she had imagined.

“Now!” Balefren cried out as he began to run along the riverbank. He slowed his pace a little at first to make sure Earren could catch up. The mare spared no time breaking into a sprint and passing him.

“Do you think it sees us?” she yelled as she ran.

“I sure hope not, but we can’t take that chance,” Balefren said. “Try to get away from our camp, and then we can hide in the thicket up ahead.”

“Ok,” Earren responded as she ran.

Both ponies moved as fast as they could not daring to look behind as they ran along the river bank. They had made pretty good distance when suddenly a great roar sounded out from behind them. Balefren leapt forward pushing Earren down and into the thicket.

The unicorns rolled to a stop in the dense growth. Balefren ignored weeds and dirt that covered his face. “Lay as flat as you can, and don’t make a sound,” he instructed. Earren was already cowering in the grass unmoving and silent. Her blue eyes shimmered with fear as she looked back in the direction they had come.

Balefren slowly turned himself around being careful not to disturb the plants around him or make noise. Once he was facing the right direction he focused his eyes carefully for any sign of the dragon.

The grass that was now towering over the unicorns swayed gently in the breeze. As it moved it allowed them to see quick snippets through the field. Minutes passed and there was no sight or sound of a dragon.

A few more minutes passed and their adrenaline driven hearts began to slow down as calmness returned. Balefren breathed a sigh of relief as he lifted his head up a little higher for a better view.

“Thank Celestia, it didn’t see us,” he said.

“Was that really a dragon?” Earren whispered as she started to slowly rise too. “It seemed much more horrible then I remember.”

“It was, are you rethinking your thoughts of trying to make friends with one?” Balefren said poking fun.

“I didn’t think it would be so big… That thing was bigger than a house, or three!”

“Yeah, it was really big wasn’t it,” Balefren grinned thinking about it. “At least we’re safe here, now we have to…”

Before he could finish his statement an enormous wind suddenly blew through the grass. The gust was so strong Balefren found himself being pushed back down to the ground. The sun suddenly disappeared for a second as a dark cloud flashed by.

Balefren looked back over his should towards Earren, and in horror he watched as the tan mare was sitting there one moment, and then gone the next.

Craning his neck he followed the shadow that speed off into the distance, it only took a second for him to realize that the dragon had just flown right over his head. Focusing his eyes he confirmed his worst fear, the dragon was now flying a ways quickly, and wrapped between its closed claws he could make out patches of red hair.

The dragon had taken Earren.