• Published 22nd Jul 2018
  • 7,236 Views, 2,561 Comments

Pandemic: Aftermath - ASGeek2012



The ETS pandemic has been over for six months, but humanity has yet to fully deal with its large pony population.

  • ...
24
 2,561
 7,236

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39 - Justice

Princess Celestia paced slowly before the three accused perpetrators, each with two royal guards standing behind them. Her hooves echoed ominously in the quiet broken only by the occasional whimper from Trixie. Of all of them, she fared the worst under Celestia's gaze, cowering like a little foal. Spoiled Rich at least kept some of her dignity, holding her head high despite the nervous look in her eyes. Blueblood, of course, retained his royal bearing.

Behind her, Luna looked on, her concerned eyes not on the three, but on her sister.

Celestia drew in a deep breath and finally spoke. "In all my centuries as ruler of Equestria, never have I seen an act so utterly irresponsible as this. This action is, bar none, the worst possible means to express the principles of friendship upon which this nation was founded, and upon which we are trying to base our relationship with Earth. In one insane act, you have attempted to destroy months of hard work. Did you ever stop for even one moment to fathom the repercussions of your actions?"

Trixie swallowed hard and looked at the others. Spoiled Rich glanced nervously at Blueblood, who remained stoic and unmoved.

"WE ASKED A QUESTION AND EXPECT THEE TO ANSWER!" Celestia roared.

Luna lay a hoof on her sister's shoulder, but Celestia shrugged it off.

Blueblood finally spoke, his confident voice ringing loud in the stark silence of the chamber. "I considered the repercussions if I did not act."

Celestia loomed over him. "Explain that statement to me, for you are making even less sense than you usually do."

"I saw an opportunity to give a significant population of ponies on Earth a chance at the freedom they are being denied."

"And what authority can you even remotely claim outside Equestria's borders?!" Celestia thundered. "How is this any better than carving out a piece of the Griffon Kingdom and claiming it as own own? Or the dragon realms?"

"The situation is hardly the same, Auntie Tia. For one--"

"You will address me as 'Princess' or 'Your Highness'," Celestia said in a deadly voice. "Is that clear?"

"Auntie, really, must we have to be so formal when--"

"Is. That. Clear?"

Blueblood hesitated, and his voice betrayed a slight quaver when he spoke again. "Yes, Princess."

"Continue, then," Celestia ordered.

Blueblood cleared his throat. "As I was saying, the situation is not the same. There is no oppressed pony population in those nations you mentioned. Had there been, I doubt you would have hesitated to act."

"And you conveniently ignore the fact that we do indeed have ponies on this world who have not sworn fealty to the Equestrian Diarchy," Celestia said. "Or do you next propose that I usurp the throne of the Crystal Empire?"

"I see Princess Cadance as simply an extension of your rule. She is related to you."

"That is not the point!" Celestia said. "I do not dictate to her how to manage her subjects. Nor do I seek to intervene in the affairs of other nations."

"With all due respect, Princess, that is not what you used to believe back when you covered up the existence of Sunset Shimmer."

Celestia's eyes burned. "Do not dare go there."

"And why not?" Blueblood declared. "It is as relevant now as it was back then! You, Princess, set the precedent. You saw fit to alter the destiny of not one but two nations."

"And you again continue to ignore reality!" Celestia bellowed. "Or you are simply more stupid than I had assumed, I am not at all sure which is the case. Recall that I have admitted I was wrong in what I had done. I had learned an important lesson in hopes others would not have to." She paused before adding in a lower voice, "I have apparently failed in that regard."

"This was not a case of arbitrary meddling, Princess," said Blueblood. "If, say, you heard that the ponies of the Crystal Empire were being oppressed, would you not have intervened? Had you not done so already when it returned after being banished by Sombra's curse? Did you not even install your own niece upon their throne?"

"She was welcomed with open hooves by the population," Celestia said in an even voice.

"And I contend you would have had the same reception with these ponies of Earth."

Celestia frowned. "Conveniently through the installation of yourself upon their throne."

Blueblood allowed himself a small smile. "Well, Your Highness, there really is only one capable member of royalty remaining who does not have a formal--"

"Enough."

Blueblood immediately silenced, and continued to try to maintain a calm demeanor.

Celestia paused to draw in a deep breath. She had tried many times to teach this wayward nephew of hers what it really meant to be royalty in Equestria. It was not about the trappings of power or the glitter of riches. It meant being stewards of friendship, of gently guiding others along the path of Harmony. Yet no matter what she did, those lessons could not be heard over the jingle of gold bits or the clink of glasses and silverware at expensive luncheons.

She wanted to believe that, just maybe, Blueblood had the welfare of these foreign ponies in mind. Certainly he had never gone to these lengths to further any cause other than those which brought him greater prestige and the illusion of power. Yet she only had to glance at the two Blueblood had chosen to associate with to shatter that hope.

Celestia stepped up to Spoiled Rich, whose pupils shrank slightly at her approach. She nevertheless kept her head up and retained the same dignified posture as before. Celestia regarded her for a long moment before saying, "I'm very disappointed in you."

Spoiled gave her a nonplussed look. "I ... I beg your pardon, Princess?"

"I had high hopes for you," Celestia continued. "When your daughter came to understand the importance of friendship, I had hoped that would spread to you as well. I thought it had." Celestia frowned. "Then I heard you and your husband had spearheaded an anti-human campaign in Ponyville."

"I-I was merely concerned with preserving the peace and sanctity of our community," said Spoiled.

"And just how did you intend to achieve that by means of a hate campaign?"

"I do not hate humans!"

"But that is the impression your activities gave," said Celestia. "You are not the one who has contact with delegations from Earth. You are not the one who had heard time and time again implications that humans are not welcome here. We have had our culture and our magic thrust upon them without their consent! The least we could do is show them some hospitality! Was that so difficult for you to manage, or did you just have your muzzle too high in the air to even look down upon them?!"

The volume of Celestia's voice had started to make the ground tremble, and sweat beaded on Spoiled's face. She tried to reply, but only a small whimper escaped her lips.

"Sister," Luna said softly. "Please, try to contain your temper."

"I am fine, Luna," Celestia said in a lower but stiff voice. She drew back a step from Spoiled and peered down at the mare. "Is there something you wish to say?"

Spoiled took a moment to gather her wits, and her voice quavered when she spoke. "Princess, can we return to the matter at hoof concerning--"

"Yes, let us return to that at once," Celestia said. "What is your excuse? What is it that caused you, a respected if somewhat abrasive member of the community, to openly defy my authority? Did I not make it abundantly clear that all contact with Earth was to be tightly controlled until both sides learned to trust each other more?"

"If you've taken note of my activities in Ponyville, Your Highness, you would know the answer to that," said Spoiled in a more confident voice. "Perhaps you misinterpret it as hate, but I saw it as helping to protect our brethren on the other side of the portal."

"And you would expect me to believe that you of all ponies would be interested in the affairs of the downtrodden? You, who has emphasized to her own daughter time and time again how she should not associate herself with quote 'low lifes' unquote. How can I believe you would care about ponies in a foreign land when you cannot show even a modicum of sympathy for your fellow Equestrians?!"

"I've changed! I do care about other ponies!"

"Only so long as it can advance your own standing!" Celestia thundered. "Do not for a moment believe I am ignorant of what happens outside of Canterlot! You've used this contact with Earth to further your own interests the moment that portal was opened. You've had far more contact with the Canterlot nobility than ever before, and your husband has 'conveniently' picked up more lucrative business deals. I am not against a pony making a name for herself, but not at the expense of others, no matter what species they are!"

"Sister, you are shouting again," Luna said.

Celestia closed her eyes and clenched her teeth until the impulse to lash out at her sister had passed. She took a deep breath before opening her eyes again. She looked down at Spoiled Rich, who by now was quaking slightly. Celestia cast one last look of scorn at the mare before stepping over to Trixie.

The showmare was shaking like a leaf, her eyes wide and glistening. Celestia barely began to open her mouth when Trixie threw herself at Celestia's hooves and fell to her belly in abject prostration. "Please, have mercy on her! She'll never do it again! The Humble and Repentant Trixie will do anything you say! Please don't throw her in the dungeon and forget about her!"

Celestia backed away and face-hoofed. "Ugh, get up. And stop talking in third person, it's extremely annoying."

Trixie rose shakily to her hooves and wiped her eyes.

Celestia sighed. "At least you're one pony I don't have to convince actually did something wrong."

Trixie frowned. "I didn't want to take that artifact in the first place. Spoiled Rich blackmailed me into it."

"You have no proof of that!" Spoiled exclaimed. "Who can trust the word of a gaudy showmare who--"

"Gaudy??" Trixie cried. "Perhaps there is a great deal of glitz and glamor to my performances, but at least I have to work at it to earn my fortune."

"And just what are you insinuating, you insufferable--!"

"Enough," Celestia proclaimed.

Both mares fell silent but continued to glare at each other.

Celestia approached Trixie. "Perhaps there is truth to your claim, but it does not exonerate you for what you've done before that."

Trixie started to cringe again despite the relative calmness of Celestia's voice.

"Had you not already shared illicit magical knowledge, neither Spoiled Rich nor Prince Blueblood would have had a pony they could trust with their scheme."

"I only did it because I thought the ponies of Earth deserved more than what they were getting!" Trixie cried. "I never meant for harm to come to anypony!"

"So is that truly all that motivated you, Trixie Lulamoon?" Celestia asked. "Just the goodness of your heart? Your sense of fair play?"

Trixie was silent for a long moment. She glanced anxiously at the others. "Maybe ... maybe there was something else."

"And what would that be?"

Trixie swallowed hard and struggled to lift her gaze to meet that of her sovereign. "Maybe I did want some recognition of what I had done," she said in a strained voice. "The Great and Powerful Trixie, the pony who brought proper magic to the ponies of Earth! I-I would be heralded as a hero."

Celestia considered as the tone of Trixie's voice turned sorrowful. "It didn't turn out that way, did it?"

Trixie lowered her gaze and heaved a ragged sigh.

"You didn't get the accolades you felt you so richly deserved."

Trixie shook her head, and tears appeared in her eyes. "It's not that."

Celestia remained silent and waited for her subject to continue.

"I ... th-that unicorn colt ... Robert McDermott ... I n-never meant for him to be hurt."

"It is my understanding that he will recover fully," said Celestia. "Not to mention he has you to thank for his new and rather advanced understanding of how magic works."

Trixie raised her tear-strewn face to Celestia. "But he could have died because of it! In all my plans and machinations, I never wanted that." She paused and teared up again. "And I may have destroyed what was perhaps the best -- or maybe only -- real friendship I ever had. No amount of fame is worth any of that!"

Trixie dropped her head to the floor and covered it with her forelegs, weeping softly.

Celestia looked down upon Trixie not with anger, but with pity and sympathy. She slowly turned to the others. "It gratifies me that there is at least one among you who actually understands the depth and gravity of what they have done. Moreover, she has been honest about her intentions, which is more than I can say about the two of you."

"I take offense at that, Princess," declared Blueblood.

Celestia frowned and stepped up to him. "Do you, now?"

"I was not being dishonest when I explained my plans to you. My intentions were aligned with those of Trixie: to better the lives of the ponies involved."

"And yet you would have seen yourself as governor of those ponies," Celestia declared.

"And what of it, Princess? Are they not deserving of somepony of proper royal heritage and a firm guiding hoof to help them to a prosperous future?"

"All beings deserve a good future, but not at the expense of destroying relations between species! That, my dear Prince, is exactly what your plans would have entailed."

Blueblood hesitated. "I'm not sure I understand."

"No, perhaps you truly don't," said Celestia. "You never did take the time to understand humans, did you?"

"I know enough to understand their backward and barbaric--"

"Stop."

Blueblood immediately fell silent.

Celestia paced before the three. "Let me use an example. We have had many zebras emigrate to Equestria. They tend to live near each other in enclaves scattered about several towns in the heart of our nation. Say one day, the Zebrican High Council decided that these zebras should be ruled by them, and attempted to establish a protectorate over them."

Blueblood frowned. "That would be absurd, Your Highness."

"Why?"

"They would have no basis for that action. We do not mistreat the zebras who live in our midst."

"Yet they are required to abide by our laws, are they not?" Celestia asked.

"Of course they are!"

"And what if the Council disagreed with one of those laws?"

"That matters not. If they chose to live here, then they chose to accept whatever restrictions that came along with it."

Celestia frowned. "And still, you don't see your folly? These ponies you would have us lord over -- that you wished to rule personally -- are native to that planet! They are not immigrants! We have no basis on which to declare sovereignty over them!"

Blueblood frowned but remained silent.

"If the Zebricans had declared the zebras within Equestria as a sovereign nation, my sister and I would take the Zebricans to task over it. And the humans would have done the same." Celestia thrust a hoof at Trixie. "This pony's actions adversely affected the life of but a single pony, and she agonizes over it! Where is your sympathy for the hundreds if not thousands of ponies who may have died had your plans ever come to fruition?!"

Blueblood glanced at Trixie, his eyes glistening. "I'm sure I would have thought of something," he murmured.

Celestia frowned. "No, dear Prince, you were not thinking at all. Because if you had, you would have understood that I would never have agreed to this ludicrous idea. I plan to hold a press conference in which I will invite representatives from all the Earth nations who have embassies here. I will issue a Royal Decree that will declare once and for all that Equestria will never lay claim to the land or the people of Earth, no matter what the situation. I will then instruct Princess Cadance to repeat that decree before a full session of the United Nations."

"I think you are making a terrible mistake, Princess," said Blueblood.

"No, it is you who have made the mistake, and I am sad that you don't realize that." Celestia sighed. "This is not at all like anything you've ever done in the past. This is not something that happened behind the closed doors of the Canterlot upper crust. This was on a multi-world stage for all to see. Even now, your name is circulating among the governments of Earth."

Blueblood's pupils shrank, and his mouth dropped open.

"Or did you seriously believe that this would somehow remain secret?"

"But ... but you'll protect me!" Blueblood cried. "You always have!"

Celestia shook her head. "Not this time. Luna?"

Her sister stepped forward. "Yes?

"My next action requires your concurrence. I hereby strip Blueblood of his title and all the privileges that go along with it."

"What?!" Blueblood cried.

"Do you concur, sister?"

Luna's eyes glistened slightly as she looked upon Blueblood. She nodded. "I concur."

"You can't do this!" Blueblood cried. "Please, Auntie, be reasonable about this!"

Celestia ignored him, even as much as it tugged at her heart. She shifted her gaze to the guards standing behind him. "Take him to a holding cell and inform the Royal Grand Prosecutor I will meet with him shortly to discuss the exact charges."

"Charges?!"

The guards took up position on either side of the former Prince. "Let's go."

"No, this is insane!" Blueblood cried, a wild look in his eyes. "You can't do this to me!"

Celestia sighed. "You did this to yourself, but I'm the one who is left to deal with it." She turned away from him. "Guards, do as I have commanded."

"At once, Princess," one of the guards replied. "Come along, now."

"I protest this in the highest degree!" Blueblood said.

"We have our orders. We prefer not to use force, but we will if we have to."

Blueblood sneered. "Now I know how Sunset Shimmer felt when Auntie betrayed her."

Celestia's mane burst into flame as she whirled around. "Take him away now! Before I do something both he and I will regret!"

Blueblood stared in horror at Celestia for a few moments as the reverberations from her bellow echoed off the walls. He finally stumbled away from her, the guards having lowered their spears and using the shafts to nudge him along.

Celestia kept her burning gaze on her nephew until he had been taken from the throne room. Only then did she turn her attention towards the others as her mane slowly returned to normal. Spoiled was sweating, her breathing labored, looking on with what could only be described as dignified terror. Trixie was doing her best to look composed, but she occasionally sniffled and wiped an eye.

Celestia stepped up to Spoiled Rich. "Now, what to do with you?"

Spoiled swallowed hard. "I-I'll stop what I've been doing in Ponyville. I won't organize against the humans anymore!"

"That won't be necessary."

Spoiled blinked. "I beg your pardon, Your Highness?"

"As distasteful as I find what you are doing, you are exercising your right to free speech," Celestia said. "Something I guarantee all citizens of Equestria. When I spoke out about it earlier, it was largely out of anger."

"Then ... I'm free to go?"

Celestia narrowed her eyes. "I didn't say that. You still participated in an illegal act. You willfully disregarded my edicts. It is one thing to speak out against what you feel is wrong, but quite another to break the law."

Spoiled glanced nervously at the doors through which Blueblood had been taken moments ago. Her ears flattened and quivered. "I didn't mastermind this! This was all Blueblood's idea from the start! I merely facilitated matters!"

"Yes, I am well aware," Celestia said. "But did he force you to act? Did he blackmail you like you attempted to do to Trixie?"

Spoiled hesitated. "Uh ..."

"I asked a question, Spoiled Rich. Did he or did he not force you to act?"

"He didn't," said Spoiled in a small voice.

"As I suspected from your earlier bombast." Celestia looked towards the guards standing behind her. "Detain her."

Spoiled whimpered and bit her lower lip.

"I will speak to the Grand Prosecutor about her as well." Celestia looked down at the stricken mare. "The charges against you will not be nearly as severe as those against Blueblood, but you will have to answer for your crime."

Spoiled gave her a pleading look, but Celestia kept her own gaze cool and steady as the guards led the mare away. She then turned her attention towards the last and likely the hardest to deal with.

Trixie trembled but managed not to prostrate herself again. She occasionally wiped her eyes, her breath a ragged pant as if she had just galloped a mile. Nevertheless, she moved herself to speak, albeit in a very shaky and distressed voice. "Y-you're going to toss me in the dungeon with the others, a-aren't you?"

"We don't have a dungeon," said Celestia. "Or at least not one that is little more than a historical artifact."

"But you're not just going to let me go."

"No, I am not."

Trixie flicked her gaze nervously to the side. "I was f-forgiven before. Even when I used that amulet."

Celestia stepped up to her. "Perhaps you were under the same illusions as the others were, that this could be handled as if it were something internal to Equestria. We do not have that luxury here."

"Wh-why not?" Trixie pleaded. "I'm not trying to be annoying, I really want to know."

"What you have done did not affect just one small town, but an entire world, and not even our world. Humans are aware of what you have done, and those same humans would see justice served on their side of the portal if it is not served here."

Trixie's pupils shrank, and her lower lip trembled.

"I am not saying that human ways are barbaric, or whatever other poisonous rhetoric you have heard on the topic," Celestia continued. "But their justice is admittedly more harsh than it is here. You have a choice. Submit to whatever punishment the Royal Courts see fit to dispense, or submit to extradition to Earth."

Trixie swallowed hard. "B-but the punishment I'll get here won't be just a bunch of friendship lessons, will it?"

"No, it will not." Celestia frowned, her voice becoming more stern even as it remained at a more conversational volume. "And make note, Trixie Lulamoon, this is not being done merely to satisfy foreign observers. You betrayed not just a trust you shared with Starlight Glimmer and Twilight Sparkle, but you betrayed me as well."

"I ... wh-what??"

"Every pony I approve of sending through the portal to Earth is a representative of Equestria. I expect them to carry forth the ideals that this nation was founded upon. You have not only failed to do that, but you have actively worked against them. I cannot accept atonement that is merely a promise never to do it again. You will have to show me you truly wish to atone and regain that trust."

Trixie paused a long moment before finally nodding. "I'll t-try, Princess."

Celestia's expression softened slightly. "Of the three, I hold out the highest hopes for you." She lifted her gaze. "Guards, if you would."

Trixie turned to them immediately and did not resist nor protest as she was led away.

Celestia watched them go with glistening, sad eyes. When the doors had closed behind them, she let out a long sigh and lowered her gaze.

She soon felt a hoof on her shoulder and a wing gently wrap around her. Rather than rebuff it as she had earlier, she leaned into the touch, and soon she felt the welcome warmth of her sister's fur against hers.

"You did what you had to do," Luna said softly.

"It's only barely begun," said Celestia. "You know that the American government will wish to have observers to witness the trials. I fear no matter what we do, it will not be enough for them."

"Blueblood should feel the full brunt of the law, sister. It was he who wished to act in direct violation of American sovereignty."

"Yes, and there are those among them who will consider Trixie's crimes worse."

Luna sighed. "I wish I could offer advice, but I have none."

Celestia drew back from Luna's embrace. "I admit, I am quite surprised at your reaction through all this, considering what I have heard of your recent activities on Earth. I had expected you to be filled with far more vitriol than I."

Luna glanced towards the door to the throne room before turning her uncertain gaze back to her sister. "Let's just say Trixie is not the only one reconsidering past actions."

"Oh?"

Luna folded her wing back at her side and paced a short distance from her sister. "I have told you about my encounter at the Earth facility concerning Night ... Ryan."

"Yes, I recall," said Celestia.

Luna looked about to speak, then reconsidered and appeared thoughtful for a moment. She turned to face Celestia. "Have you an opinion on it?"

Celestia gave her sister a surprised look. "You wish my advice?"

"Is that so strange? I have sought your counsel many times on matters concerning Earth."

"But not in matters concerning the dream realm. That is something I try not to tread upon, as I have nowhere near the wisdom as you do."

Luna frowned slightly. "Perhaps my wisdom is not as good as ponies make it out to be."

"What makes you say this?" Celestia asked.

"The more I think over what Ryan said to me, the more I wonder if, perhaps, he had a point."

Celestia looked at Luna curiously. "In what way?"

"His entire experience as a night pony was shaped by encounters with two entities, neither of which left good impressions," Luna explained. "First was Midnight Star, or Midnight Terror was he was known back then."

"I remember. You did take him to task over it, and he's better for it now."

"Yes, but I never took the second pony he encountered to task."

"Indeed? Did not the Dreamwardens deal with this pony?"

"That is hard to do when the source of his distress was a fellow Dreamwarden."

"Ah, I see," said Celestia. "Would it be too presumptuous of me to assume that it was the Warden of Death?"

"And now you come to what troubles me, Tia," Luna said in a low voice. "Even you believe Sha'am Maut's tactics are too extreme. I admire you for never coming out and voicing your concerns, as you consider matters concerning the dream realm sacrosanct, but perhaps in this case you should have."

Celestia paused to collect her thoughts. Despite her sister's apparent openness, it was wholly unexpected, and she felt the need to choose her words carefully. "While in other circumstances, yes, I would consider her technique to be extreme, but I know there are greater considerations."

"There is no need to dance around it for my sake," Luna said. "But if you need the incentive, I will give it. I do not care for what she has become. Make no mistake, there is no excuse for Ryan's disregard for the will of others, but his outlook has been shaped by his experiences." Luna paused for a long moment before she added in a low voice, "Just like mine were prior to my transformation into Nightmare Moon."

Even after all this time, Celestia could see the pain in Luna's eyes at the mention of that name. Despite having largely come to terms with her past, it remained a sore point. Suddenly she could see her sister as she had been right after Twilight and her friends had used the Elements of Harmony upon her. She had been so small, vulnerable, sad, and frustrated. In times like this, Celestia could still see some of that in Luna.

"I had seen in her a necessity," Luna said. "As I had with all the Dreamwardens. I had asked myself: how am I to ensure the good behavior of many more millions of night ponies than we ever have had in Equestria? I had thought being as firm as possible was the right way. I saw in Sha'am Maut an enforcer, one who could bring even the most stubborn of ponies to heel. Have I created a monster instead?"

"Does she act within the bounds of Dreamwarden law?" Celestia asked.

"As it stands today, yes."

"So she is not guilty of wrongdoing from that perspective."

Luna stepped closer to her sister, her eyes glistening. "Sister, I gave them that perspective! I am responsible for their existence. Perhaps I should be responsible for their actions and the consequences of--"

"Stop."

Luna looked about to protest, but she fell silent and simply looked at her sister.

Celestia gave Luna a wan smile. "My, but this conversation does bring back memories."

Luna arched an eyebrow slightly.

"You're saying all the same things that I did for months after I banished you to the moon."

Luna's lips parted, but she remained silent.

"What if I was responsible for the existence of Nightmare Moon?" Celestia continued. "Maybe I should be held just as accountable for her actions and their consequences."

Luna shook her head. "No. We've been over this before."

"Then tell me what conclusion we came to."

"That I was solely responsible for my actions. Perhaps I can point to circumstances that generated certain thoughts which made Nightmare Moon possible, but I chose to act as I did. No being forced me. No evil spirit possessed me."

"And why cannot this wisdom be applied here, sister?" Celestia asked. "I could argue that Sha'am Maut makes her own decisions, that she chooses her own actions. You are not directly to blame for whatever trauma she may have induced in Ryan."

"But I cannot simply look the other way when I see what may be a greater injustice!"

"I am not saying you should. What I am saying is that blaming yourself will get you nowhere." Celestia stepped forward and placed a fore-hoof on Luna's chest. "Search your heart, sister. Did you truly intend to appoint beings whose sole purpose was to torture and torment?"

Luna lowered her gaze. "No, I did not."

"And from what I understand, their harsh techniques are effective," said Celestia. "They have accomplished what you wanted."

Luna raised her eyes to her sister's. "I am just afraid of how many more ponies there may be out there, so traumatized by their experience because they happened upon that one Dreamwarden during their first attempt at dreamwalking, that they retreated from that realm forever, fomenting hatred and resentment, thinking the Wardens as nothing more than the monsters of the very nightmares they had wanted to vanquish."

Celestia considered. "You did mention to me early on that you felt it necessary to use fear as a tool, at least initially."

"Yes, I did, and I still feel it was the right approach, however distasteful it may seem to those who are not night ponies. But there need to be limits. I fear Sha'am has broken those limits."

"Did you ever actually set down those limits?"

Luna was silent for a long moment. "Not inasmuch as I set down a definite line in the sand, as it were. I had hoped by selecting a variety of personalities that they would keep each other in check. Instead, I feel that the strength of Sha'am's personality is such that her viewpoint tends to prevail." Luna frowned. "I went to enormous lengths, Tia, to state my case for Jenny just so she does not need to be subjected to Sha'am. I came very close to calling her out by name when I mentioned how I did not want Jenny subjected to the harshest of their judgment."

"And to whom did you state your case?"

"To Psychic Calm. Why?"

Celestia smiled. "Then I believe that was just as good as calling her out by name. That pony has an almost frightening ability to sense what you're thinking without the need for mind magic, if a fraction of what you have told me about him is true."

"He was indeed responsive to my plea for lenience," Luna said softly. "I later learned that Phobia Remedy is in agreement as well."

"It sounds like your plea was successful," said Celestia. "I imagine Twilight's plea was just as adamant."

"My worry is that it won't be enough. They need to be able to stand up to Sha'am Maut, not just in the matter of Jenny, but Ryan as well."

"I would say that if Psychic Calm could tell whom you were concerned about -- and he agreed with your plea -- that perhaps he is starting to come to the realization that they need to have a word with Sha'am." Celestia considered. "Have you relayed what Ryan told you to Psychic?"

"I have," said Luna.

"And his reaction?"

Luna rolled her eyes. "Realize who we're talking about, Tia. What was the name of that character from that Earth science fiction show, the one who is never emotional? Mr. Spork?"

"I believe the name you are looking for is 'Spock'," said Celestia.

"He's just like that character. I informed him of Ryan's claims, and he stood there for a few moments and said simply 'interesting.' I have no idea what he meant by that."

Celestia wished she could offer her sister more advice. This was the first time Luna had ever expressed reservations about her Dreamwarden program. Until then, it was Luna's most cherished project, something she felt proud of despite the circumstances. It had reminded Luna of the sense of satisfaction she had when she successfully demanded the role of Equestria's Dreamwarden when the entity in that role had become shamefully complacent and ineffective.

It also reminded Celestia of how Luna herself had used her immense power in the dream realm to rule the night ponies by fear of her wrath if they stepped out of line. That, of course, was no longer the case, and she shared a much more loving and compassionate relationship with them. Night ponies in the presence of Luna acted with delight at the honor rather than cowering in fear.

"And now, I understand," Celestia declared.

Luna arched an eyebrow. "Understand what?"

"The true source of your distress. You see yourself in Sha'am Maut."

Luna ground her teeth. "I am nothing like her."

"That is true in the present, but when you first imposed your rule over the night ponies--"

"I did what I had to do!" Luna thundered. "They were facing extinction if I didn't keep them in line! I had to prove to the other tribes that they could be trusted with their power."

"A perspective that, perhaps, Sha'am shares."

Luna looked about to protest, but she remained silent and brooding.

"I am not exonerating her, dear sister," Celestia continued. "But it helps to understand her motivations. It was what I was trying -- perhaps with limited success -- concerning the three who stood before me a short while ago."

Luna let out a heartfelt sigh. "You claimed to understand my true fears. Can you also ascertain yet another?"

Celestia nodded. "That Sha'am will become the equivalent of a Nightmare Moon."

"Am I insane for being worried about that, Tia?" Luna said, her voice almost a plea. "One of my motivations when I was going down that dark path was the idea that I could bring that immense power I wielded in the dream realm into the waking world. I could not bring a shared nightmare upon Equestria in the dream realm, as not even in my most twisted moments would I think to violate my Oath, but what if I could instead bring a nightmare into the real world?"

"Ah, you have never shared with me what gave you the idea for that name. Perhaps I should have guessed."

"We can argue all we want that the situation is different, and we would not be wrong. But the fear persists. That I was ultimately behind the choosing of Sha'am for this role fills me with a sense of responsibility."

"And again, we come full circle," said Celestia. "You will recall, it was I who Ascended first, and I who invited you to rule alongside me after you had Ascended. Little wonder I felt such responsibility when you strayed."

"Then you can at least understand how I feel," said Luna.

Celestia nodded. "And I will offer you the conclusion that I came to long ago concerning you. I can only offer guidance and advice. I cannot control what you do, what you think, or what you feel. I can only try to provide the circumstances by which I hope you will learn."

The corners of Luna's mouth tugged upwards. "Like the time you encouraged me to visit Ponyville on Nightmare Night."

Celestia smiled. "I seem to recall you had a rather nice time."

"Be that as it may, what does Sha'am have in that regard?"

"Her fellow Dreamwardens," said Celestia. "You have told me of Sha'am's background. How she had lost so many family members close to her, how she had outlived many who were far younger than her. It is not surprising she agreed to the role you had offered her. It gave her what she needed, a sense of belonging and acceptance."

"And yet, it is those with whom she seeks such solace whom I must turn against her."

Celestia shook her head. "Do not think of it as us versus them. I fear that you have picked up on the prevailing attitudes among the most hotheaded of both humans and ponies of Earth."

"So what you're saying is, I have done all I can really do," said Luna.

"At least for the time being," said Celestia. "I am in a similar situation concerning the three I confronted earlier. I can do no more for them. It is upon them now."

Luna slowly nodded. "I will attempt to find solace in your words, sister. Yet I will not be able to shake off the feeling that there is still something left undone."

Celestia gave her sister a wry smile. "That is a feeling neither of us will rid ourselves of concerning Earth for a long time to come."


Ryan stands in the middle of a vast field, the grass high and waving in the breeze, wildflowers blooming in colorful splendor. Yet the skies are cloudy, a cool mist permeating the air as rumbles of distant thunder roll over him. He looks up, and the clouds churn as if in anger. He half expects a lightning bolt to strike him where he stands, as it is quite obvious to the former night pony that this is no ordinary dream.

He glances down at himself and can at least be content that they have left him human. Have they made a mistake? Why not mold him into whatever they pleased? They could easily ramp up the humiliation by forcing him into his old pony form. Isn't humiliation what they are all about?

And where are they?

He looks to the skies and sees what he initially assumes to be a bird. Yet as it grows closer, Ryan realizes it is a pony. He stiffens as he recognizes its membraned wings, and he narrows his eyes slightly as the pony lands nearby.

The stallion with fur the color of burnt toast says nothing, maintaining his distance, looking on with a stoic expression. Ryan thinks to challenge the night pony, but at once he senses the stallion's immense power. He manages not to shudder at the traumatic memories which threaten to resurface.

Finally, more night ponies appear, winging their way down from the skies, and he at once recognizes them. The mare with the skull as a cutie mark lands first, followed by two stallions, one of which narrows his eyes at Ryan and utters a vulgar expletive under his breath, acting strangely subdued for the Warden of Anger.

Another mare appears. She lands alongside the others, giving Ryan a strangely troubled look. Ryan grinds his teeth. Yes, so sorry, Yinyu, that we dragged you out of your orgy just to deal with me. Damn whore.

Then, finally, SHE arrives.

Ryan clenches his hands to fists. He stares intently, even as much as the rest of him wants to bolt. She comes in not from the skies, but trotting along the ground, as if to give the false impression that she is frail and weak. The wizened old bitch has not changed from the last time Ryan saw her. She spares nothing of her unspoken wrath as she lets her burning gaze rest on Ryan, yet she conveys a similar look to her fellow Dreamwardens as well.

Ryan feels compelled to break the silent tableau first, as if in a vain sense of claiming the initiative. "So what is this? No chamber of justice? No arena where night ponies can look on as if this were a spectator sport? No appearing as divine avatars of the gods here to smite the unbelievers?"

The first one to arrive steps forward. "Such spectacle would be needlessly excessive and have little effect upon you," he says in a maddeningly calm voice. "In case you do not remember all our names, I am Psychic Calm. I will be the primary spokespony for us."

Ryan raises an eyebrow. "So this is not a trial?"

"No."

Ryan glances from him to the other Dreamwardens. "I don't get it."

"It has been decided that you will face justice in the waking world," Psychic explains.

Ryan snorts. "How much better is that than what I will face here?"

"For one, your mental faculties remain intact."

Ryan again clenches his hands into fists. "You do realize that using mind magic to incapacitate someone can warrant the death penalty even in the waking world?"

"We are aware, yes," Psychic says.

"And you have nothing to say about that?"

"You have made your life choices. That is not something either of us can change, and we must all face the consequences of those choices." Psychic pauses before adding in a lower voice, "As we must also face the consequences of our own choices."

Ryan narrows his eyes again, and his gaze is drawn to Sha'am Maut. Suddenly, she no longer appears quite as intimidating as she had that day Ryan first encountered her in the dream realm, casually subjecting him to death after death until he said those infernal Oaths to her satisfaction.

"Thus we open these proceedings with an apology," says Psychic.

Ryan's eyebrows rise.

"We have discussed the circumstances of your first encounter with us as you had relayed to Princess Luna. We corroborated your claims of excessive force being used to secure your compliance with the Oaths."

Ryan seeks out Sha'am one more time. Her expression has not changed. She continues to look upon him as if he were a bit of scum she has scraped off her hoof.

"We are likely to reconsider our approach to such matters in the near future," Psychic says.

Ryan stares at him for another moment, then bursts out laughing.

Psychic gives Ryan an odd look. "Have I said something amusing?"

"It's just as I had warned you, Psychic," Sha'am mutters. "He will take none of this seriously. We should be holding a trial, not--"

"We've discussed this already, Sha'am," says the mare next to Psychic that Ryan now remembers is Phobia Remedy. "We've already come to the conclusion of what we seek to accomplish here. There's not to be any further debate."

"Some debate," Sha'am grumbles. "I do not feel I was given my due time."

"Sha'am, please," Yinyu says in a low voice. "This situation is hard enough as it is."

"Yeah, now I know this must be just a normal dream," Ryan says.

"I assure you, it is not," Psychic says.

"Dreamwardens arguing among themselves? Dreamwardens apologizing for anything they ever did? Did another portal open up and dump me in an alternate universe?"

Psychic frowns and steps closer to Ryan. "Do not make me prove to you that this is indeed the dream realm. We are trying to avoid exacerbating your situation."

"Oh, and you're suddenly all concerned about that now? I doubt very much you're all gathered here just to make some perfunctory apology to me, like that's going to make up for everything I went through!"

"I make no promises or reassurances that this will do anything to ease whatever pain you have felt or are feeling," Psychic says. "Nor can we force you to accept it. We felt the need to point out what we believe is a mistake. We have done that."

"Fine," Ryan says. "How about all the others you've collectively tortured?"

"Our interaction with others is not up for discussion. We must move on to the main point of why you are here. It is two-fold. First, your real identity must be established."

Ryan frowns but says nothing.

"Second, we must secure your pledge not to use your mind-magic powers while you are being held for trial and to abide by whatever punishment a judge and jury see fit to mete out."

"And just how do you plan on securing that?" Ryan glances at Sha'am. "How many deaths do you think it will take this time?"

"We intend to take you at your word."

Ryan arches an eyebrow

"With the understanding, of course, of the severe consequences you will face if you break said pledge."

"And just how will that hold up in a court of law?"

"We do this with the knowledge of certain people in the American government, including the President."

Ryan's eyes widen.

"My cohort Phobia Remedy directly offered our assistance, and it was accepted," Psychic explains.

"My lawyer will have something to say about that," Ryan says, though he already knows it will have little impact on this lot.

"Perhaps he will," Psychic states. "And perhaps we do not as yet have a complete working relationship with your government. But even if we did, we are still the masters of this realm. We are still the only ones who can protect both humans and ponies against people like you."

"Everything I did was because of you!" Ryan shouts. "And others like you who would try to impose their will on this planet."

"If you would stop to think about it for a moment, you would realize we are all victims here. None of us asked to be transformed. None of us made the decision that brought us to this point. We can only deal with the consequences the best way we can."

"I don't see any of you turning away from the power that was handed to you by an alien."

"Princess Luna is not the source of our power, and to explain what is would take far too long and delve into matters we are not yet willing to discuss," Psychic says. "Suffice it to say, it is very ancient and very much a part of our universe."

Ryan would argue that such powers were likely never meant to be touched by human beings, no matter what form they are. Be those forces from heaven or hell, they were likely hidden away from humanity for a reason, whether it be divine purpose or simply an inherent safety barrier that allowed sapient life to thrive.

Yes, he could argue those points, but they would fall on deaf ears.

"Let's go back to your first point," says Ryan. "Why is my real identity so important?"

"Because we have spoken with the real Ryan Halter, and he is much distressed that you continue to use his name," Psychic explains.

"Didn't he take a pony name like most everyone else did?"

"He has indeed, but he has chosen to honor his human roots. You continuing to use his old identity is a dishonor to that. Do you not yourself espouse the importance of humanity? Should you not wish to assist someone in attempting to honor theirs?"

"And you'll just take me at my word if I give you a name?"

"It is not for us to verify your identity," says Psychic. "We will take what you give us and visit Agent Jason Madsen in his sleep and relay it to him. While he is technically on leave from the Bureau, he has agreed to assist in verifying if you what you have given us is the truth."

"And again, why would you operate like this when you can simply extract the information from my head?" Ryan asks. "When have you ever trusted a being at their word?"

"The circumstances here are unusual. We are working more closely with authorities in the waking world than we ever have before. We are attempting to let them have more jurisdiction over you, to give them the chance to see you are brought to justice."

"And what if the outcome is not what you desire? What if the punishment is not considered sufficient? What if I somehow get let off?"

"That would be a very unlikely outcome given your crimes," Psychic says. "I am fairly confident of your conviction."

Ryan wants to debate the point, but he knows it is fruitless. Even his own lawyer has already told him that his best bet is a plea bargain in exchange for more evidence against Fuller. All he can hope for is a lighter punishment rather than any lessening of the charges.

"Fine, I'll tell you who I am," Ryan says in a lower voice. "But I want to make one thing clear to all of you. Your secrecy means nothing to me. I intend to reveal to my lawyer everything that's happened to me."

"We have already anticipated this," Psychic says. "The President will be requesting of the Department of Justice that the court records of your trial be sealed until such time that we can arrange a more orderly disclosure of our existence."

Ryan snorts. "You really think that's going to stop the news from getting out?"

"We imagine there will be leaks and speculation."

"Fuller knows all about you from me. He's much more a prominent voice than I ever was. What's to stop him from making a full disclosure?"

"We will deal with that if it comes," Psychic says. "None of this speculation alters the current situation. We still have the matter of your disposition to resolve."

"This is dragging on far too long," Phobia says. "Ryan, give us your real name. Now."

Ryan could argue with these infernal Wardens until the end of time. For the first time, he senses a weakness to them. He realizes it helps him not at all, for they could still use but a fraction of their combined might to mentally smite him and leave him little more than a vegetable for the rest of his life. He would in a sense die for real.

"Billy Handon," he finally says.

Phobia turns to Psychic. "Why does that name sound familiar?"

"He is one of the people whom Midnight Star terrorized," says Psychic.

"Does Midnight know about this?"

"No. I will inform him."

Ryan sneers. "So much for the vaunted Dreamwarden justice! He made my life a living hell, and he is still allowed to have his mind intact?"

"We did not have a hoof in determining his fate," Psychic explains. "Any grievance you have in that regard will need to be taken up with Princess Luna. Suffice it to say, he is considered reformed. I should note that we do not automatically assume all those who violate our rules are irredeemable. I hold out hope one day you can be considered to be among the reformed."

Billy frowns. "Not likely. Maybe you can frighten me into submission, but you will never change my attitude. You are all a direct threat to humanity. You and the very existence of pony magic are an anathema to this world. We will be safe only when every last bit of it is gone." He narrows his eyes. "I, for one, welcome the Devourers with open arms."

"The Devourers are indiscriminate," Phobia says. "You would be dead along with the ponies you so hate."

"I am willing to make that sacrifice. The only reason I am not willing to throw my own life away by challenging your power is that it would be a useless gesture, and I would be giving up the chance to see you all brought to heel." Billy raises a finger. "One day, ponies, humans will master their own form of magic. We will combine it with our technological might, and it will become a force you cannot stand against. It will be something not even the Devourers can breach. If I have in any way helped that day come, even in the slightest manner, then my life has had meaning."

It is not lost on Billy that it has been but a short time ago when he thought he had nothing. It took confronting the Wardens for him to understand just how much he had accomplished. The world would soon wake up to the threat in their midst. For all his faults, Fuller had the right idea: ponies and pony magic were a threat far understated by their cutesy appearance.

"He is unrepentant," Sha'am mutters. "Just as I predicted he would be."

"We are interested only in pacifying him, not judging him," Psychic says. "I am sure a jury will see his claims for what they are, merely a means to justify his criminal acts." He turns fully towards Billy. "To that end, do we have your pledge? Will you abstain from using your powers until your fate is determined in a court of law?"

"As if I have a choice," Billy says.

"We all have choices, Billy. But all choices have consequences."

"If I refuse to make this pledge, what then?"

"We will attempt to dampen your power," Psychic explains. "This runs a high risk of damaging your mind. We do not wish to go this route."

Billy flicks his gaze to Sha'am. He can guess there is at least one among them who would joyfully apply that solution.

"If you violate the pledge, we will take that action, and you will have no further say in the matter. This is your one and only chance to be restrained voluntarily."

"Very well," Billy says. "I agree. I will not use mind magic any further."

Psychic nods. "Acceptable. We will be monitoring you closely."

"Realize I cannot just turn off my passive abilities," says Billy. "It's like seeing or hearing. It's there, and I can't ignore the sensations."

Phobia steps forward. "The government already understands the scope of your abilities. They will be taking precautions to ensure you stay a comfortable distance from anyone you could unduly influence."

"Our business here is done," Psychic says as he starts to turn away. "We will trouble you no longer, Billy Handon, so long as you abide by your pledge."

"What about my unfinished business?" Billy declares.

Psychic pauses and turns to face him. "And what would that be?"

Billy nods his head towards Sha'am. "What about her? What about what she did to me?"

"Did we not deal with that matter earlier?"

"What you gave me were just words. You claim I have to answer for my crimes. When does she get to answer for hers?"

"I assure you, we are dealing with the situation," says Psychic.

"Yes, but how?" Billy demands. "I'm likely going to go to jail, maybe for the rest of my life. What about her? She going to see any of that?"

Psychic frowns and is about to respond when Phobia speaks. "All those that Sha'am has hurt will be getting this apology as well. We doubt we can get her to apologize herself, but the rest of us will be making those apologies on our behalf."

Ryan thinks he hears a faint snort from Sha'am.

"Sha'am is not and cannot go away, except of her own volition," Phobia continues. "And you will have to accept this as the only justice capable of being provided in that matter. The other five of us are in agreement that we will not allow such actions to continue."

Sha'am thumps a hoof against the ground before speaking in an infuriated voice, "And you're all fools to deny the use of a firm hoof. I'll abide by your misguided vote against me, but you'll come to understand in time that I am justified. This beast is right about one thing: those who walk the dream realm and use mind magic are all potential monsters, and should be treated as such. When your leniency towards them lets them get out of control, you'll come begging me to go back to doing what the rest of you can't stomach!"

"Enough, Sha'am," Phobia declares. "You've had your say. Now is not the time to reopen this debate."

While Ryan labors under no delusion that a mere apology is sufficient restitution for what he and likely others have suffered at the whims of these tyrants, he can at least feel some comfort in seeing a break in their ranks. Some ponies liked to think themselves "above" such petty matters, but in truth, perhaps they have brought more of their humanity with them into pony form than they cared to admit.

"Our business here is done," Phobia says with a finality that makes Billy realize that any further attempts to engage them will fail.

Psychic nods. "You may not believe me, Billy Handon, but I wish you well."

Billy simply watches as the Dreamwardens turn away. One by one, they fade away and vanish, as if they had never been there. Yet he can still sense a lingering presence hovering over his consciousness, even as the shared dream begins to fade, and he can be sure of only one thing.

He will be watched.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Halira who contributed some of the dialog in the Dreamwarden scene.

PreviousChapters Next