• Published 20th Jul 2018
  • 15,606 Views, 1,641 Comments

Duties - Hiver



The 'adventures' of Blank Page continue. Changelings, Griffons, Princesses. At least he have learned his lesson not to volunteer for things anymore. Yeah. Right.

  • ...
57
 1,641
 15,606

Chapter 9

Bright Glow was a white unicorn, wearing the silvery armour of the Legion, her helmet nowhere in sight and her mane braided to keep it out of the way.

She blinked at me from across the table before she looked at Sunset.

Sunny nodded.

You could almost see the gears working beneath Bright Glows ear for a moment before she took a deep breath and nodded, “Yes, My Lord. And we are going up against the Solar Guard, why?”

“The official announcement will be in four days,” I said and shifted my wings, reaching to pull a scroll from a table as I rolled it out, “It’s going to be announced as a exercise for the new guard force.”

Bright Glow lit up her horn and smoothed the map of the castle grounds, “The official reason.”

I nodded, “The slightly less official reason which will leak to the press a couple of days into it is that it’s a test to changes made after the Changeling Invasion to improve security.”

“And the actual reason?” she asked with a frown.

I put my hoof on the map, “The actual reason is that I had a discussion with Princess Celestia and she didn’t think you could do it. I disagreed.”

Bright Glow flicked her ears and her jaw got a bit of a stubborn set to it, “I understand, My Lord. Well then, we have some planning to do.”

“We do,” I agreed, “Quite frankly going directly up against the Solar Guard is a bad idea.”

Bright nodded, “Yes, sir. What’s the objective?”

“Getting me onto throne. If I’m captured, we fail. If we don’t manage it in a week, we fail.”

She cringed a bit before she nodded, “…We’re going to have to get sneaky.”

Sunset nodded, “We are. Luckily we have the Alicorn of Lies on our side.”

Looking at her in disbelief I then facehoofed, “Sunset, that’s not how it works. It’s imagination, dreams and stories.”

“Alicorn of Sneaky?” she suggested cheerfully.

Sighing, I shifted my wings, “…We better hope so or there is no way this will work, even if it’s limited to just the Castle Guard, not the full Canterlot garrison, they still outnumber us by ten to one. Okay, we need to start preparing. We can’t count on the Solar Guard just sitting there defending, they might attack and try to capture me or strike a blow to our numbers.”

Bright Glow looked between us before she nodded, “You’re right, sir. We can’t stay at the barracks. We should move camp to the mountain outside the city.”

“Silently and carefully,” I said, “Alert the Legion, start preparations. But first, send the instructors from the Solar Guard away, not sure they can be trusted for this.”

Bright Glow shook her head, “I’d vouch for them, sir. They want to see this work and if we fail, it would make it seem like they failed,” before she smiled, “Most are from the Lunar Guard anyway.”

“They stay then,“ I agreed, “You know most of them better than me. I’ll get us some reinforcements.”

“Reinforcements?”

“Changelings,” I clarified, “We need scouts and axillaries. Only the unicorns of us can hide behind illusions and almost nopony as good as them.”

Bright Glow hesitated and frowned a bit, “…But isn’t this mean to be between the Legion and the Guard?”

Sunset shook her head, “Nothing in the rules says we can’t bring in assistance. Besides, cheating remember?”

Bright Glow nodded, “…Agreed, Lady Shimmer. Help would be good. I’ll gather the squad leaders and instructors before filling them in on what’s happening. See if they have any ideas.”

“Good plan,” I agreed, “I want you and them back here with a basic plan by the morning.”

“Yes, sir,” she agreed and picked up her helmet on the way out.

The door closed behind her and Sunset flicked her ears, looking at the map, “This will be… difficult.”

“Yep,” I agreed, “I’m going to track down Skitter and get her onboard before tomorrow. We’ll need her help with this.”

Sunset nodded, “Yeah,” and stretched, “Not looking forward to the entire camping thing.”

I eyed her for a second, “…You know… you’re not officially part of this. You could stay behind.”

Sunset shook her head, “Wouldn’t help. The second this entire thing start I’ll be banned from entering castle grounds, everypony know how close we are. First thing they would suspect.”

“…Good point,” I agreed, “Yeah, that wouldn’t work anyway.”

Sunny looked at the map, “We’ll figure it out. I basically grew up in the castle, I know it as well as anypony. I’ll see if any of my old sneak away and read spots are still open.”

“A secret and unguarded way into the castle sound useful. Terrifying if it exists, but useful right now,” I said with a slight frown, “You really should have told somepony.”

“Most are too small for an adult pony,” she said and hesitated, “…And to be honest, I kind of forgot about them until now. Sorry.”

“It’s fine, if the Guard don’t know about them, it’s unlikely a enemy would either,” I admitted, “But we have to block them of after. One of the reasons I actually ‘want’ to do this is to find those holes in our defences.”

That and getting one over Sunshine.

Okay, mostly getting one over Sunshine.

“I’ll go find Skitter,” I said and stretched my wings, “See if I can talk her into giving us a hoof on this.”

Sunset nodded, “I’ll go over these maps and then check some spots I remember. See you at the meeting tomorrow.”