• Published 20th Jul 2018
  • 15,636 Views, 1,641 Comments

Duties - Hiver



The 'adventures' of Blank Page continue. Changelings, Griffons, Princesses. At least he have learned his lesson not to volunteer for things anymore. Yeah. Right.

  • ...
57
 1,641
 15,636

Chapter 47

The top of the tower rising above Canterlot was covered in a fine dusting of snow, but most of the cover had been either shovelled away or blown away by the wind.

Stretching my wings, I walked to look out over the city below. Lights were slowly coming on as Celestia settled her sun below the horizon.

Snow was still falling from the clouds above, as was appropriate. Tomorrow was Hearth’s Warming after all.

Not that any of us were in a Hearth’s Warming kind of mood. Discord’s revelation of not being able to send her back was… it had hit everyone hard.

Sparks and Twilight harder than most.

I knew exactly how much it sucked to be trapped in a world not your own, leaving family and friends behind.

It hit me kind of hard too to be completely honest. Made me…

…Remember.

“Hey.”

I glanced back at the familiar voice as Sunset moved up next to me, “Hey… are you sure you should be up here? It’s cold.”

She smiled a bit, “Luckily I have an Alicorn to help keep me warm,” she answered and moved up next to me.

Smiling back, I slipped my wing around her against the wind, “Warming spell too?”

“Mmm,” she agreed and touched her horn against mine, “Not really that effective against wind though, you know.”

“Yeah,” I agreed and pulled her a bit closer, “…I thought you were going to stay with the Twilights?”

She sighed softly, “…Twi and Twilight are going to Twi’s parents to spend the night. Twilight’s taking things kind of hard. She may be stuck here for a bit, they’re trying to figure things out. I think they were talking about Twilight picking a new name until she can return.”

“Yeah.”

“…And you?”

“Hmm?”

“…Kind of what happened to you too, right? I chose to leave. I didn’t know what was behind the Mirror, but I chose to go through it. You didn’t have a choice in coming here.”

I nodded and sighed, clicking my horn softly against hers, “To be completely honest, we don’t know that. I don’t remember anything between maybe half way through a day on Earth and waking up in a hospital in Equestria. For all we know, I might have chosen to go here.”

Sunset frowned and nodded, “Still…”

“…Yeah,” I admitted, “Yeah, it struck a bit too close to home. Especially since it’s my fault.”

“It’s not your fault,” Sunset protested and pulled back to frown slightly at me, “It’s Discord's.”

“That she ended up here, yes. But not that she’s stuck. I’m the one that got into a fight with her and messed up the parchment with the spell.”

Sunset shook her head quickly, “You was protecting Amber. It’s not your fault!”

“Maybe not just my fault, but I am still somewhat responsible,” I admitted, “It’s true and you know it.”

Sunset frowned and then shook her head before leaning against my side, touching horns again, “…Twilight doesn’t blame you.”

“I know.”

I blamed me. I just blamed Discord more.

“…Some Hearth’s Warming this turned out,” I then said after a moment as I looked at her.

She smiled a bit, “You got something for me, didn’t you?”
Yes and no,” I sighed and then smiled a bit at her slightly confused expression, “I had planned to bribe Rarity for a rush order, but things got a bit… well… hectic. With the entire Griffon thing, I got distracted and you know…”

That got a small grin from her, “Yeah, things have been kind of busy.”

“Mmm,” I said and tapped her horn with mine, “…You know, I read about this entire horn thing.”

“Oh?” she asked, cheeks turning a bit red.

I nodded, “Mmm. I had to dig a little to find out where it’s from, most of what I found about it was from romance novels. But I finally managed to find it in a history book on the old Unicorn tribes.”

Sunset nodded, “Yeah,” she admitted, “It started for negotiations… if one starts casting, all it takes it a twitch of the head and they're is curled up in pain on the floor. But that’s just how it started, not what it became.”

“Mmm,” I agreed with a small smile, “Hence, trashy romance novels. Mostly with Unicorn stallions in armour on the cover.”

Sunset blushes a bit and nodded, “…Yeah,” she admitted, “But it is historical too. Before actually kissing spread from the Earth Ponies, it’s what Unicorns did. It’s… nice. Luna doesn’t do it?”

“Not really. Back before she Ascended she was a Pegasus. She’s more about wings than horn,” I said with a small smile, “And Twi?”

“…Sometimes. She prefers more modern.”

Grinning a bit, I ignited my horn in a simple light spell while holding it against hers. Sunset blushed a bit and did the same thing.

Our magic sparkled softly, and I could see why Unicorns used to do this. It felt very, very intimate. Kind of… tingly. Very nice kind of tingly.

Smiling, I reached into my satchel with my magic from where it was sitting on the ground to pull out a small present, “I did manage to figure something out.”

Sunset blinked and shifted back to glance down at it, “For me?”

“Like I would leave you without a present.”

Smiling a bit, she unwrapped it and opened the box to reveal a simple gold filament attached to a golden ring. Sunset blinked and them smiled, “Wow, where did you find that!?”

“Ran into it during my research,” I admitted, “I know, not really fashionable anymore, but I found a jeweller that could make it in time. I thought you might like it.”

“I love it. Put it on? Those are impossible to do on your own.”

Nodding, I lifted it from the box and slid the ring down her horn to the base before carefully weaving the gold along her horn into the slight grooves of her horn before I looked at her, “You look amazing. I was right, that does suit you.”

The smile alone was well worth what I had to pay the pony that made it to put me before his other orders.

Sunset glanced up at her horn and then turned her attention back to me, “Let’s head inside.”

“Cold?”

She shifted closer, “No.”

Huh?

Oh!

Author's Note:

AN// Many thanks to FPSCanarussia for betaing this last section. Yes, it's sadly the last of the story for now, more to come in the future however. I would also remind everyone that my patreon exist.

If you like to see more of my stores placed in other universes, they can be found over at forum.spacebattles.com

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this one and see you next week for the next one.:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 107 )

Bow chicka wow wow?

And that does it for the latest edition of the Blank Page series. Now we have a relationship with Sunset AND canon-Twilight enters the fold, should be interesting to see where this leads going forward.

I am still all in for Discord being put back in Stone, if Fluttershy cant even keep him in check then he might as well be left frozen in stone until he is all but forgotten.

Page, you smooth stallion :pinkiecrazy:

Just wait until canon twi finds out Blank is an author...
I have a feeling she might be all over him!

Where is your Patreon?

I wonder if the author's going to do something about both the unopened chest and Discord's streak - which was broken by Tirek betraying him like in canon.

9241161
Why not let Blank deal with him? I bet he knows more than one way to do so just by thinking how to deal with a chaotic creature, just like he did with Tirek.:trollestia:

Indiana Jones style. :pinkiecrazy:

9241185

Smoother than molasses, and about as thick. :trollestia:

Hmm.. can't Discord repair destroyed scroll with his magic? The scroll and table, which is now in tree library, are all they need for spell to work, right?

“Cold?”

She shifted closer, “No.”

Huh?

Oh!

That's mah boi ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As always. Sad to see it go.

But glad to have it while we did.

Well done Hiver, old boy!

Don’t stay away too long now.

As per the usual, Ieave my list of things to happen next...

Luna Page wedding.

Somepony gets preggers.

Page vs Cozy Glow

Resolution with Twilight 2.

Tempest

So, there's quite a few errors in the fic, unfortunately. Most common errors are plural mismatches or typos.

As for the story itself, I'm ready to see what happens next. Hopefully Discord gets some comeuppance.

a vary sweet and tender final chapter in this story ark.
love this story and the hole story line is awesome.

Mmmmmmm... Go get 'em, Sunset. Great stuff as always. I'll have to check out your other stuff. See ya, space cowboy.

Oh snap! Sic 'er, Page!

Hiver, thanks for another wonderful installment in the series. This was one of my favorites.

Hearths “ warming” indeed.

Thanks for another great book in your universe.

9241279
Still waiting to see what's the deal with Celestia's marefriend.

Not really. Back before she Ascended she was a Pegasus,

Uhh.. I think either both Celestia and Luna were alicorns in the beginning, or they were both unicorns before their acsensions, not pegasi, that was Cadence, I believe...

9241781
There's no official canon either way, so it's whatever the author wants.

For the record, though, a lot of folks see Luna as more brash and boisterous compared to 'Tia's reserved demeanor, much like pegasi compared to unicorns. So it's not a random or bad characterization.

I biggest issue I have with this story is how the title, cover art, and description doesn't match the actual story. The stories title, cover art, and description all give readers the impression that Page will end up with the the same or similar royal duties as Celestia and Luna have. However, the only thing that came close was his visit to the griffons, but it was too short to justify the currrent story info, I suggest changing the stories information to say 'Tasks' instead of 'Duties'.

dear author,
let me introduce you to the word "were". in what feels like 9 times out of ten in your writing you replace it with the word "was". please stop. this is mainly a issue when you write dialog when the speaker is talking about the past actions of the person they are talking to. as most of your chapters normally only involve 2 people talking to each other i am sure you can see how such a repeated error can get grating.

this is really my only real issue with your story however and i look forwards to seeing what kind of trouble double twilight can get up to. one thing i would like to suggest however is when you roll out your next story if you could add a new chapter to this story that is just a link to the next story. there were almost 20 chapter done between me finishing Responsibilities and finding this story.

9242097
I too was under the impression that "Duties" referred to Page taking up administrative tasks. But the ending of the last scene clearly shows that he is fulfilling different duties. :trollestia:

9241373
I'm more in the line of thinking: Why can't they find this timeline's scroll and use that to send Twilight back? Unless there's some jarring reason why the scroll doesn't exist. Or I've forgotten something.

9242322
the original is the anchor.

Really one ought to make anchors out of tougher stuff than parchment but that's earth pony sense not unicorn sense.

9241431
and Skitters! I don't think we saw much of her as she's still learning to princess

glad to see you got another story done. Hope for more as always but page at least is in a good place.

9242691
See you for the next one if not sooner!

Sunset glanced up at her horn and then turned her attention back to me, “Let’s head inside.”

“Cold?”

She shifted closer, “No.”

Huh?

Oh!

9241159

Bow chicka wow wow?

derpicdn.net/img/view/2018/1/30/1644338.jpeg

This was a real good series I’m sad to see it end but I really enjoyed it! Wouldn’t mind seeing more later on but other then that grate fuckin stories!

i just spent the last few days pulling a twilight reading each and every one of the stories.....

and i love em. 10/10 top notch, funny, endearing and downright awesome.
can't wait to find out what comes next.

9252677
I managed to go through all the stories in 2 nights :P got through 3-4 of then just tonight

i loved this book is there more coming?

Binge read the entire series in about two to five days, can not get enough of this wonderful story! Applause, moustaches, and sincerest thanks for a fantastic journey so far! :yay: :moustache: :twilightsmile:

9277805
two day binge with brakes because reasons

Wheres the sequel??

9330346
Indeed. He said 'next week' and now it is many weeks later.

9340455
New story is ongoing. But it is a star wars one and as such on forum.spacebattles.com, and not here.

And I, like many others, have reached the end of another chapter in Page’s life.

And just like I, and many others, await the next chapter in the story of Lord Page.
Until then, Author.

9340553
Oh. Well, waiting for more tales of Page & Luna & Sunset.

I have read all six of your books. I have like, followed, and favorite all of them. Dying for more.

9345758
Agreed, those stories are like a drug. Cravings all day long.

9380749

Eh, I stand by the observation. :twilightsmile:

9444999

Try turning on captions for that video

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

9498749
Will do. I've found a few in Europe when I was there. I'll try to source them and give you a link. Nice thing about the world today, almost everything can be ordered by mail. :)

9445292
The captions are the best. Lol

9515427
:twilightoops: Oh, man! I read a lot of books and series by Piers Anthony, but that's one set I never got into. Bummer!! :facehoof:

Aww man, its the end of the story... and on a cliffhanger too :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment