• Published 20th Jul 2018
  • 15,635 Views, 1,641 Comments

Duties - Hiver



The 'adventures' of Blank Page continue. Changelings, Griffons, Princesses. At least he have learned his lesson not to volunteer for things anymore. Yeah. Right.

  • ...
57
 1,641
 15,635

Chapter 32

The dream realm sparkled all around as I moved between the silvery portals of ponies dreams.

Luna were awake already. Strangely enough, so was Celestia. Or maybe not so strange if it was this week when Clear Skies were dropped by.

Twilight was actually asleep and having a nice dream at that. Not the adult kind, but I still didn’t want to bother her when she managed to actually get to bed in a reasonable time.

Pausing, I looked at the portal next to me.

Cadence was asleep and having a normal dream. Been quite a while since I visited her and checked how things was in the Crystal Empire.

Cadence was the Alicorn I was the least close to and I should likely fix that. We were after all likely to know each other for a long while.

Touching my horn to the silvery portal, I stepped through to find myself in a throne room. Blinking, I looked around. This wasn’t in Canterlot…

Oh! I knew this place. The palace in the Crystal Empire. Silvery crystal walls all around with a soft red carpet leading towards the throne.

Cadence was sitting on the throne… I could only assume. All that sticking out from beneath a pile of scrolls the size of a small house, was a pink, purple and yellow tail.

Oh. So, it was a nightmare.

Wait, no. not nightmare for her, just a very boring and stressful dream.

That’s funny!

Grinning, I tapped my hoof against the floor, sending out a pulse to solidify the dream for us before sitting down to wait.

Cadence wiggled and struggled before letting out a sound of frustration as she pushes the scrolls and piles of papers off herself, her head poking out of the pile before she spotted me, “Page! A little help!?”

I grinned and shifted the dream to a more comfortable one, tapping my hoof against the floor again to make it a copy of Luna’s and mine sitting room in Canterlot castle.

The wave of change radiated out from my hoof and the dream melted and shifted, leaving Cadence laying on the couch instead.

“Better?”

“Much,” she admitted and worked her magic through her mane, “Luna, I hate that dream.”

“Didn’t seem like an actual nightmare though,” I said and jumped up to sit down on one of the comfy chairs.

“…It’s not. Not really. Just… ugh.”

“Things stressful?”

She sighed, “You could say that. Been spent the last couple of weeks reviewing next year’s budgets.”

“Ow.”

Cadence nodded, “Shining is about as stressed as me, not even sure he have gotten to bed yet.”

“He hasn’t, I didn’t see his dreams anywhere,” I said, “His guard taking up a lot of time?”

“Something like that. He’s doing his own paperwork,” Cadence said and looked at me, “So how are you?”

“Mostly bored. On the way back from Griffona.”

“I got a letter about that from Twilight. How did things go?”

I smiled, “Well enough that they are willing to start negotiations through normal channels. I think it’ll work out.”

“Twilight said Sunset Shimmer was going along.”

I sighed and looked at her, “Cadence, will you drop that?”

“Page, it’s…” she started to say before she frowned thoughtfully, “Page, how do you see dreams?”

“What?”

She motioned around us, “I see us in a room. To me, it’s perfectly real. As real as if I was here while awake. What is it like for you?”

I glanced around, “Uhm… the same. Kinda. But there are also levels beneath, I can feel it all around. Almost like… warm sunlight on my coat?”

No way to really confuse it with the material world. I suppose it was almost like being Neo in the Matrix, I could see the ‘code’ beneath the rest of the world.

Cadence nodded, “That’s how things are with Love for me. I can literally see and feel what ponies and other creatures feel.”

“You can detect other emotions too?”

She nodded, “Love is just way easier. Missing a pony in love is like somehow missing that the sun is shining!”

Oh.

I wasn’t entirely sure how to respond to that.

Cadence jumped off the couch and approached, “Look, I’ll drop if it you can answer a question for me.”

I blinked at her before I shook my head and pointed my hoof at her “No. No Cadence, stay out of things. I don’t know what your plan is, but no.”

She let out a small frustrated sound before sitting down, flexing her wings, “Fine! Fine! But I reserve the right to be smug.”

“We’re just friends.”

“Mhmm. I had a friend like that before too. We got married.”

I’m not sure why everypony is so insistent about this! Sunset and I were just friends!

…Right?