• Published 20th Jul 2018
  • 15,608 Views, 1,641 Comments

Duties - Hiver



The 'adventures' of Blank Page continue. Changelings, Griffons, Princesses. At least he have learned his lesson not to volunteer for things anymore. Yeah. Right.

  • ...
57
 1,641
 15,608

Chapter 15

The guard patrol trudged back towards the castle through the falling snow. In all honesty, they looked all kind of miserable.

I didn’t blame them, it was well below freezing, snowing hard and none of them had more than a couple of hours of sleep for the last three days. And they just spent the last two hours chasing somebody that flung magic at their checkpoint.

They never did catch her either.

None of them even reacted as I exited a side alley and joined the back of the formation, a set of golden armour covering my wings and turning my coat white, making me look like the rest.

I fell into step, lowering my head against the wind like the rest as the snow whipped across the street.

We slowly approached the castle checkpoint across the square.

Come on, Sunny.

Come on, Sunny! If this don’t work, things will be very awkward!

Bone dead tired or not, I don’t expect the checkpoint ponies to miss that there was a pony more returning than they sent out.

Not without a distraction.

We had just reached the checkpoint when there was faint sounds of spell fire at the distance and yelling.

The Lieutenant at the checkpoint looked away and a Pegasus quickly swooped in for landing, “Sir, we need reinforcement at the west gate! They are attacking!”

“Not just another probe?”

“No! Come on, we need more ponies!”

Lieutenant Thunderstorm nodded and pointed at a pair of unicorns, “You and you, stay here. The rest with me!”

I saluted with the rest and we quickly galloped off.

Nobody noticed when I slowed down and left the rest of the group to walk into one of the gardens. The distraction won’t last forever, the Legion were outnumbered and soon Celestia would get involved.

More yelling.

Ducking behind a pair of bushes, another group of guards galloped past.

Ditching the armour, I wrapped myself in the illusion of one of the maids before heading back onto the path.

Armour were a good disguise, but I couldn’t risk getting grabbed and pulled along to the defence.

I shifted the way I walked to match my illusion as I headed for the door to the castle. Thanks to Discord it was much easier to copy how a mare walks… personal experience, not just observation.

Fucking Discord.

But in this case, it was useful. Couldn’t risk discovery by something as stupid as walking wrong.

Fighting the impulse to hum the metal gear solid theme, I paused and perked my ears.

The sounds were dying down.

That’s not good, I wasn’t that far away. Needed to hurry without seeming to be hurrying.

Ducking in through the door, I glanced around before turning left and headed down the corridor, trotting along at a good pace.

Needed to get to the throneroom.

Guards!

Ducking behind a statue, I waited until the tired pair passed by.

Close one.

Sneaking back outside, I continued on until I reached the sidedoor to the throneroom. Putting my hoof against it, I hesitated.

One of two things were waiting on me on the other side.

Either an empty room if Celestia bought the distraction. If she did, I would get on the throne and then I would have won.

If she didn’t buy it, it would be a massive trap and she would win. I had no doubt whatever she picked would be annoying, frustrating and most definitely not something I wanted to do.

But this was the only shot at it I would get, and it took everything we had for this shot.

There wouldn’t be another one.

Ah, fuck it. Either this is a massive trap or it’s not, hanging around here does nothing but increase the odds of getting trapped.

A look and if it’s a trap, there is still a chance I can back out and try another path if my disguise holds.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed the door open and slipped into the throneroom. The snow outside made the chamber somewhat dim even if it was afternoon, the sun being low didn’t help either.

But what’s more importantly, it was empty.

Closing the door, I started towards the throne along the edge of the throneroom, allowing the illusion to drop as I paused and looked around the empty room.

Yes!

I win!

The large main door started to open and I quickly ducked behind one of the pillars.

Fuck!